Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rosemary Kennedy

What was the illness that made her father order a lobotomy performed on her?

Younger pictures of her show her normal, even pretty, tho on the ticker side, looking.

She seemed quite butch. Maybe she was a lesbian and they did that to her because of it?

by Anonymousreply 24December 26, 2020 4:15 AM

She was caught scissoring the second housemaid -a Protestant girl, which made it worse.

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2020 3:59 AM

I thought it was because she was oversexed.

I assumed it was because Joe Sr. was fucking her and feared she was about to tell.

by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2020 4:11 AM

Rosemary was the victim of a botched home birth. Rose Kennedy was ready to push, but the nurse who was attending her made her hold the baby in until the doctor arrived. This resulted in the baby not getting enough oxygen, which left Rosemary mildly retarded. As a young woman she started displaying some behavioral problems and became increasingly harder to control. Joseph Kennedy, fearing that Rosemary would embarrass the Kennedy family, arranged to have a lobotomy done. The operation was intended to make her more docile, but instead the surgeon destroyed too much of her frontal lobe. Rosemary was left profoundly disabled, unable to speak or walk. She eventually regained some motor skills but was severely retarded. She spent the rest of her life cared for by nuns in a private residence built for her on the grounds of a convent in Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2020 4:17 AM

The event that triggered the lobotomy occurred when Joe was appointed Ambassador to the Court of St. James. When his wife and daughters were being presented to King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, Rosemary tripped and fell in front of them. That was the beginning of the end. T

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2020 4:23 AM

Now, they could use a retarded child as good PR to win them votes

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2020 4:31 AM

Exactly what trump has planned for Barron in 2024

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2020 4:36 AM

She was brain damaged due to oxygen deprivation at birth. That was her "illness." She was considered "slow" and her behavior could be violent and unpredictable. She was lobotomized; rather than calming her down it disabled her and she was institutionalized for the rest of her life. What a horror story. But that was the Kennedys. They were cursed due to some very bad karma.

by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2020 4:40 AM

R4 Well that was no doubt a death knell for poor Rosemary, as we know how the Queen Mother felt about mentally ill relatives...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2020 4:46 AM

Such a sad story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2020 5:06 AM

That family is just pure evil. Just think about what it takes for somebody to inflict even a scratch on their own child. The parents should have been held accountable, as opposed to being able to sweep it under the rug in cahoots with the good ole Catholic Church. Don't get me started.

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2020 5:17 AM

R10, 99% of parents at the time would have done the same thing

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2020 5:19 AM

R10. Joe did it behind Rose's back.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2020 5:24 AM

^^Oh, so then it's not right for us to call them out on it. I see, I get how that works.

So let's see, in 1790, 99% of white people thought owning slaves was okay...therefore...

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2020 5:26 AM

Rosemary didn't have 'an illness' -- unless sex was an illness. She liked being a partying and Big Daddy Joe only allowed that with the boys. I know people who knew her at St Coletta's where she was sent after that botched lobotomy. Poor Rosemary. That Kennedy tribe loved sex, however, Rosemary was supposed to be a 'good girl.' The more I learned about her life at St Coletta's, the more I despise the Kennedy clan.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2020 5:31 AM

R14, if you're still here, spill the beans on Rosemary's life at St. Coletta's. I've always been curious about what she was like after the lobotomy.

From what I've learned about her, historians and psychologists have studied her diaries and school work and determined that she wasn't "retarded" so to speak. Rather she was of somewhat average intelligence in a family of very intelligent and competitive over-achievers.

She didn't measure up to them which was a problem for old Joe Kennedy who wanted his kids to be the best. Her outbursts and behavioral problems supposedly stemmed from frustrations at not being good enough for dear old dad.

It's interesting to note that Joe had a massive stroke in 1961 leaving him a lucid man trapped in a paralyzed body while the daughter he maimed was left with a sound body but a paralyzed mind. Talk about poetic justice, heh?

ELizabeth Moss is supposed to play Rosemary in some biopic that's still in development.

by Anonymousreply 15December 26, 2020 3:17 AM

R10 smells of Salems and old dog.

[quote]That family is just pure evil.

So ridiculous. And the anti-Catholic attitude and complete ignorance of the case show that R10's obvious trailer is parked in the eastern Kentucky hills.

by Anonymousreply 16December 26, 2020 3:26 AM

She had a childish scrawl, but she composed her thoughts well for someone with a mild disability.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 26, 2020 3:26 AM

Of all the girls in the family, she was the prettiest.

by Anonymousreply 18December 26, 2020 3:36 AM

It's crazy Rosemary got a lobotomy because she was "slow" when JFK was dyslexic.

by Anonymousreply 19December 26, 2020 3:37 AM

"I've always been curious about what she was like after the lobotomy."

What's to be curious about? She was totally disabled. As one report said:

"After the lobotomy, Rosemary was no longer able to walk or talk. It took months of therapy before she regained the ability to move on her own, recouping only the partial use of one arm. One of her legs was permanently turned inward. Months after the surgery, when she regained her ability to speak, it was a mix of garbled sounds and words."

In other words, she was helpless and dependent, and spent the rest of her life being cared for by other people. Her story is heartbreaking because what happened to her was so preventable. She was a victim of horrific medical malpractice and the actions of her despicable father who wanted to make her more manageable by having her brain cut open.

by Anonymousreply 20December 26, 2020 3:40 AM

[quote]She spent the rest of her life cared for by nuns in a private residence built for her on the grounds of a convent in Wisconsin.

The size of a tool shed. Rosemary never knew.

by Anonymousreply 21December 26, 2020 3:45 AM

R13 Who abolished slavery?

by Anonymousreply 22December 26, 2020 3:46 AM

Apparently, nobody in the family knew where she was after the lobotomy. Only old man Joe. He handled all the financials.

After his stroke, they found out where she was by going through his bill paying/financials.

by Anonymousreply 23December 26, 2020 4:07 AM

R13 Let me fix that for you, in 1790, 99% of ALL people thought owning slaves was okay

Especially the African Kings and chiefs that captured and sold other Africans into slavery.

"The slave trade is the ruling principle of my people. It is the source and the glory of their wealth ... the mother lulls the child to sleep with notes of triumph over an enemy reduced to slavery ," King Gezo of Dahomey.

by Anonymousreply 24December 26, 2020 4:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!