Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Susan Sontag

Why did her legacy go down the shitter? The bitch is practically forgotten

by Anonymousreply 82August 7, 2021 11:08 PM

Hi Susan!

by Anonymousreply 1November 28, 2020 9:28 PM

Well I guess OP when you die there is not much you can do. 16 years later and she still hasn't found a ghost writer.

by Anonymousreply 2November 28, 2020 9:48 PM

OP = Camille Paglia.

by Anonymousreply 3November 28, 2020 9:56 PM

Because she was totally repugnant and only able to brainwash a small subset of New Yorkers that she mattered. Her plays and movies were flops. Nobody loves a critic.

She claimed to be against the market but somehow her $28M mansion was OK.

by Anonymousreply 4November 28, 2020 9:57 PM

Americans don't read serious works anymore. Authors of substance are no longer guests on talk shows. Popular magazines especially are entertainment-and-gossip-oriented.

by Anonymousreply 5November 28, 2020 10:46 PM

I found her superficial and "clever" much like Joan Didion, whom I also dislike. I did think her essay on camp was seminal, but more for what it was about than what she brought to it.

She was very good-looking, though.

For female intellectuals I preferred Martha Gellhorn and Janet Flanner.

by Anonymousreply 6November 28, 2020 11:13 PM

I, for one, LOVE how deliciously cunty she is in this interview. It's quite exquisite, really.

Q: "Did you really say 'Who is Camille Paglia?"

S: "Did I really say it? You mean DO I really say it? Of course I really said it. What a way to ask me. 'Did I really say something that EW reported?' Yes I really did say it." . Q; " Meaning what?"

S: "Excuse me. Are.. are we not speaking English?"

And it goes downhill from there.

Q: " As a novelist, don't you find yourself drawn to the questions of what most people are seeing as art? Thinking.. being sold.. um..

S: "No. (Long pause) No I don't. And you know I don't. I've said it in countless interviews. I'm not drawn in precisely the way you think I ought to be drawn... Clearly you think I should be. I think I shouldn't be. So there's another disagreement."

My GOD the cuntiness of it all! Makes you make a FACE!

A beautiful, flawless, Fabergé egg of cunty.

Susan Sontag, we speak your NAME!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 28, 2020 11:17 PM

R7 She’s above us mere mortals.

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2020 4:45 AM

[quote]She was very good-looking, though.

Really? I wouldn't say that.

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2020 4:54 AM

R9 in her day, she was really interesting looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2020 7:05 AM

R3 I love Camille Paglia.

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2020 7:08 AM

wow, as an English Lit major who went back to college for a special education teaching certification and M.S. in Education, I am stunned to know that Susan S. gets time here.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2020 7:38 AM

Love her!!! Has she still been around, I would've loved to hear her thoughts on populism and Donald Trump. She would've been blistering and acerbic!

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2020 7:40 AM

Had*

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2020 7:40 AM

As long as we are sorting through the angsty women authors/writers, let us not forget Sylvia Plath....

I like people too much or not at all. I’ve got to go down deep, to fall into people, to really know them.” – Sylvia Plath

“The silence depressed me. It wasn’t the silence of silence. It was my own silence." Sylvia P.

“My mother said the cure for thinking too much about yourself was helping somebody who was worse off than you.” ― Sylvia Plath

“Apparently, the most difficult feat for a Cambridge male is to accept a woman not merely as feeling, not merely as thinking, but as managing a complex, vital interweaving of both.” – Sylvia Plath

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2020 8:03 AM

I don't think I'd compare Plath with Sontag. Plath was both trapped and inspired by her own experience in a way that Sontag either was not or refused to fully acknowledge.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2020 8:30 AM

Off-Topic, but: This is what I love about DL. I get to jump from threads on big dicks, dumbass influencers, and other nonsense to those about politics and literature.

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2020 9:09 AM

Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2020 9:51 AM

Never quite as important and influential as she wanted to be. To quote Spender, she thought 'continually of those who were truly great.' But like Spender, she was great-adjacent. As Edmund White noted, if only she'd won the Nobel she'd be much nicer. Forceful cultural presence, but no one great legacy work.

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2020 10:57 AM

Terry Castle’s story of her bizarre friendship with Sontag is an enlightening read...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2020 12:24 PM

R20 Weird to read that again. Castle telling that story is either brave or delusional. I can’t find them now, but when that came out there were a few articles and lots of online chatter doubting some of Castle’s experiences with Sontag. And talk of her simply being a “loser” next to Sontag (which basically confirms Castle’s account).

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2020 12:45 PM

by Anonymousreply 22December 17, 2020 11:58 PM

Cunty ≠ admirable, r7. Think Leona Helmsley, or . . . I don't know . . . Camille Paglia.

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2020 12:04 AM

Yeah, that interview at R7 was the first time I came across Sontag a couple of years ago, and I don't see anything admirable in her at all. She just seems tiresome, full of herself and unnecessarily argumentative. She comes across like one of those people that like to lecture others and make them feel uncomfortable because it makes her feel superior.

by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2020 12:09 AM

I though Notes on Camp undervalued the gay underpinnings of camp.

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2020 12:11 AM

Her 9/11 comments were prescient and she began to be a non-person afterward.

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2020 12:16 AM

[quote] And talk of her simply being a “loser” next to Sontag (which basically confirms Castle’s account).

It's a very standard narcissist-enabler dynamic. I don't doubt that it happened: I'd be surprised if Sontag didn't have one of these enablers at the usual universities on her circuit. (Few are as funny as Castle, though.)

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2020 12:17 AM

Susan Sontag's estates has missed a huge opportunity for merchandising. The brand Susan Sontag could move a lot of merch.

I see:

"Late mid-century intellectual" jewelry and accessories

fragrance (several - one featuring real civet, which is now having a comeback, another that smells like "West Greenwich Village", etc.)

"Late mid-century intellectual" party dips, frozen hors d'oeuvres

halloween masks

knit wear

A.I. voice for siri, Alexa, GPS

possibly: life sized sex doll

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2020 12:20 AM

Say what you want but Susan never got handsy and needy like Professor Avital Ronell.

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2020 12:26 AM

Oh. My. God. Hahahaha!

[quote]She’d been telling me about the siege and how a Yugoslav woman she had taken shelter with had asked her for her autograph, even as bombs fell around them. She relished the woman’s obvious intelligence (‘Of course, Terry, she’d read [italic]The Volcano Lover[/italic], and like all Europeans, admired it tremendously’) and her own sangfroid.

by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2020 12:27 AM

She gave major dyke face.

by Anonymousreply 31December 18, 2020 2:08 AM

Is This The Way You Bitches Live Now?

by Anonymousreply 32December 18, 2020 2:15 AM

[quote]‘Of course, Terry, she’d read The Volcano Lover, and like all Europeans, admired it tremendously’

I'd never before considered Susan Sontag and Donald Trump in the same thought, but there it is.

by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2020 7:30 AM

Terrible novelist

by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2021 1:39 AM

Mind as passion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 10, 2021 2:13 AM

The interviewer is stupid. He insisted on asking her simplistic questions that she wouldn't answer and refused to be cornered into a box.

If I were interviewed like that I would say when asked "who are your favorite..." I would respond with "too many to mention and let's just leave it at that" rather than try to explain anything to this idiot.

Someone I knew well when he lived in San Francisco in the 80's-90's moved to New York. He would later write "Sontag and Kale: Opposites Attract Me". The book offers his insights on these two women and is dishy fun to read. Craig became good friends with Pauline Kael until she died, IIRC. He respected Sontag but had a blast with Kael.

by Anonymousreply 36January 10, 2021 2:53 AM

Kael was incoherent in print during the last couple decades of her life. Not so Sontag.

by Anonymousreply 37January 10, 2021 3:18 AM

I had a (Jewish) professor in college who always referred to her as "Susan Shabbat".

by Anonymousreply 38January 11, 2021 7:42 PM

I read the recent biography of her that won the Pulitzer, what a tiresome woman and not nearly as clever or gifted as she thought she was.

by Anonymousreply 39January 11, 2021 8:00 PM

[R39] Her fatal flaw was her near-complete lack of humor. While ON PHOTOGRAPHY, NOTES ON CAMP, THE WAY WE LIVE TODAY (all modest works that may be devoured in one sitting) and some of STYLES OF RADICAL WILL are all worth reading, she really wasn't a great writer overall in that she often lacked the ability to make complex arguments and topics seem intelligible. Her worst writings are pretentious, opaque and jargon-laden, which may be related to the fact that she wrote on amphetamines. I deemed THE VOLCANO LOVER to be unreadable after attempting to start it several times and her film scripts (DEATH KIT) are absolutely hopeless. Perhaps that fact that Sontag is no longer around to sell herself accounts for why nobody buys her schtick these days.

by Anonymousreply 40January 11, 2021 8:11 PM

Does she have an OnlyFans?

by Anonymousreply 41January 11, 2021 9:00 PM

The only time I really liked her was when she dragged Leni Riefenstahl to filth in "Fascinatin' Fascism".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 11, 2021 9:28 PM

Sontag leaves no legacy in arts and letters. She is a camp figure, best remembered as an anti-style icon, and a notable, A-list, self-impressed pretentious intellectual cunt. In that, there is value, a camp intellectual bitch figure, a kissing cousin to Leona Helmsley and Imelda Marcos. Sontag is not a Hannah Arendt, neither a Louise Nevelson nor a Diana Vreeland. Sontag is a cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 11, 2021 10:31 PM

R7 I love how she gets trapped in her bitchiness. She says of course she asked the question about Paglia--then denies asking it--then catches herself.

She really was a terrible person.

by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2021 3:46 AM

She chose a humble burial site in Montparnasse Cemetery, Paris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2021 3:55 AM

[quote] THE WAY WE LIVE TODAY

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 46January 12, 2021 3:59 AM

She thought [italic]very[/italic] highly of herself.

But most cultural criticism doesn't last, and her fiction was forgettable. And of course she plagiarized Willa Cather (an infinitely better novelist).

by Anonymousreply 47January 12, 2021 4:01 AM

R45 comme il le faut

by Anonymousreply 48January 12, 2021 4:20 AM

[quote] I would've loved to hear her thoughts on populism

She's dead. The word 'populism' only became a buzzword after she died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 12, 2021 7:13 AM

[quote] Say what you want but Susan never got handsy and needy like Professor Avital Ronell.

I'd like to get handsy with this guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 12, 2021 7:16 AM

Huge cunt, self important and not terribly interesting.

by Anonymousreply 51January 13, 2021 6:46 AM

Don't forget Carrie Bradshaw had Sontag's "Beyond Interpretation" on her bookshelf, right next to her shitty novels in the SATC movie

by Anonymousreply 52January 13, 2021 7:40 AM

SJP is planning a Sontag Knitwear Collection

by Anonymousreply 53January 13, 2021 9:05 AM

[quote]In place of a hermeneutics we need an erotics of art.

This is the brilliant conclusion of Against Interpretation. Funnily enough, it sounds exactly like something that Camille Paglia would have written.

by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2021 12:34 PM

Thanks so much, R20, I really needed the laugh this morning. The description of Sontag pretending to dodge sniper fire in downtown Palo Alto is priceless!

by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2021 1:09 PM

R52. Is that the hard-to-find sequel to “Against Interpretation “?

by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2021 1:23 PM

Boy George is collaborating with Cardi B on a Susan Sontag musical.

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2021 2:12 PM

I thought her big 9/11 argument—that the hijackers were not “cowards”—was a complete straw man. No one was saying the hijackers were cowards, they were saying the hijackers were HIJACKERS.

My favorite moment in the Castle essay was when she thought Laurie Anderson was saying something nice to her at a dinner party only to realize that Anderson was saying “pass the salt.”

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2021 3:24 PM

R58. Some people WERE referring t them as cowards. She was right, but as usual, pedantic or utterly tone deaf to the emotions of other people.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2021 3:27 PM

She chose a humble burial site in Montparnasse Cemetery, Paris.

R45 There are no "humble" graves in Montparnasse Cemetery.

by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2021 7:11 PM

R60 No shit Sherlock. The statement was meant to be ironic.

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2021 7:40 PM

[quote]Boy George is collaborating with Cardi B on a Susan Sontag musical.

Never on Sontag

by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2021 9:15 PM

Sontag in the Park with Susan

by Anonymousreply 63January 14, 2021 12:25 AM

Sontag on Sontag

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2021 2:24 AM

Sontag, Bloody Sontag

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2021 5:03 AM

She was one of the most insufferably pretentious people who ever lived.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2021 3:47 PM

True, R66. I had an acquaintance in the academic world who was sort of becoming a friend of mine, nice guy, and then he said that meeting her and chatting with her briefly was probably the highlight of his entire life.

My response started with a huge mental eyeroll, but as I turned that statement over in my mind again and again, the idea of a person who would think that highly of SS became so incomprehensibly repellent to me that I let the connection cool.

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2021 5:10 PM

The Volcano Lover cured my insomnia

by Anonymousreply 68January 21, 2021 12:44 AM

Ask me on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 69January 21, 2021 1:04 AM

I'm still wondering what kind of applause R12 was expecting for being a bragging cuntlet.

by Anonymousreply 70January 21, 2021 1:08 AM

I very much enjoyed her seminal work in "Cramp."

by Anonymousreply 71January 21, 2021 1:09 AM

Style icon

by Anonymousreply 72January 26, 2021 9:52 PM

Any contemporaries?

by Anonymousreply 73February 23, 2021 4:52 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 74February 27, 2021 5:36 PM

R39: would you recommend Ben Moser's biography of Sontag?

by Anonymousreply 75February 27, 2021 5:47 PM

R30 God, she sounds so much like Trump. All her novels are rightfully forgotten

by Anonymousreply 76March 7, 2021 12:36 AM

R36 I just bought your friend’s book! Thanks for the recommendation. Can’t wait to read it!

by Anonymousreply 77March 7, 2021 1:02 AM

She was inarguably the greatest female essayist of the 20th century. The DL hates her because she is a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 78August 7, 2021 10:50 PM

Wasn't she the inspiration for the Met Gala or something a few years ago.

[quote]The DL hates her because she is a lesbian.

I doubt that. Any time I've seen old interviews with her, she comes across like a really nasty cunt. People are just not going to like people who behave like her, whatever their makeup is.

by Anonymousreply 79August 7, 2021 10:54 PM

Bullshit, R37. Sounds like you don't know how to read.

by Anonymousreply 80August 7, 2021 11:02 PM

R78, that is VERY arguable.

by Anonymousreply 81August 7, 2021 11:06 PM

R78, if you think Sontag was a better essayist than, say, Joan Didion or Janet Flanner, I would argue your literary opinion is not to be considered.

by Anonymousreply 82August 7, 2021 11:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!