Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1960s-70s Actors Who Should Have Been Bigger.

Even if based on looks alone. I'm thinking of people like Gardner McKay. He was one of the most beautiful men I've ever seen, yet he never really went anywhere in Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2020 10:53 PM

Always and forever John Saxon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2020 2:03 AM

Roy Thinnes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2020 2:07 AM

Don Murray - I know he worked regularly and had an AA nomination. But he was handsome and very talented. Why wasn't he a big star?

He's still with us at 91.

There's a particular scene in [italic]Baby, the Rain Must Fall[/italic] that I love between him and Lee Remick in a diner. Steve McQueen was the star of the movie, but Murray was a much better actor and it really showed in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2020 2:12 AM

Dominick Dunne discovered Gardner McKay in a coffee shop. Dunne said he couldn’t act but he was the most beautiful man he’d ever seen. McKay wasn’t interested in making a television show but Dunne finally convinced him to do “Adventures in Paradise “ He got tired of acting and went home. McKay had always been wealthy so he didn’t need the money.

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2020 4:13 AM

Ann-Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2020 4:16 AM

Robert Conrad was beautiful and sexy but he should have been bigger. He was only 5'8".

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2020 4:24 AM

Diana Sands, who both starred in the film version of A RAISIN IN THE SUN with Sidney Poitier and Ruby Dee, but also created the stage role in THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT that Streisand later did on film.

She played Shakespeare and Shaw at a time when it wasn't common for black women. Unfortunately she died in her early 30s before what would have certainly been a much longer career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2020 4:42 AM

Cal Bellini - don't really know anything about him other than what's in the IMDB, but I sure liked him in this old TV show I saw (I think "Flipper").

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2020 10:01 PM

Pete Deuel - I know his death put an end to things. But did you know what great an ass he had? From an episode of "Gidget".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2020 10:09 PM

Roger Herren - how did this handsome man only have one leading role? From "Myra Breckinridge".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2020 10:22 PM

Another of Roger Herren. He bared his butt, too, but that is easily found in a Google Image search.

And yes, I am hijacking this thread to share some of my random caps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2020 10:24 PM

Pete Duel was a successful actor when he died, starring in the hit tv show "Alias Smith and Jones." He was very good at light comedy but he could have done so much more. He guess starred on a lot of different tv shows and he was as good at drama as he was with comedy. Here's a thought I always had about Pete Duel: I think he would have been great as Benjamin Braddock in "The Graduate." If he had played that role I think he would have gotten an Oscar nomination. And of course Mrs. Robinson's lust for him would have been completely understandable; he was gorgeous. I never understood why Mrs. Robinson wanted to sleep with Ben as played by Dustin Hoffman.

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2020 10:29 PM

[quote]Roger Herren - how did this handsome man only have one leading role?

The same way Klinton Spilsbury - about 10 years later - also had only one role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2020 1:10 AM

RICHARD "DICK" GAUTIER - Actor, Singer, Voice-over Artist & Hunk. He originated the role of Birdie in the first Broadway productions of "Bye Bye Birdie". He spent most of the 60s & 70s guest-starring on episodic television. Us 80s Babies know him most as the voice of Hot Rod on the Transformers cartoon. A handsome, multi-talented artist who deserved more fame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2020 1:32 AM

Hymie the Robot!

by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2020 1:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2020 1:39 AM

Brian Kelly who played dad Porter Ricks on "Flipper". So handsome it was unreal. He was all set to play the lead in Jacqueline Susann's "The Love Machine" (imagine the bedroom scenes!), but was injured in a car accident that virtually ended his career.

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2020 1:49 AM

Yes R15 & R16! I'm not familiar with the show but saw it in his bio. Was it popular?

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2020 2:06 AM

R17. Fun fact: he was also uncle to Broadway favorite Brian D’Arcy James—I think the Brian was an homage to his uncle.

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2020 2:24 AM

Handsome Barry Coe, 20th Century Fox contract player who never really rose above supporting roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2020 2:50 AM

Get Smart was a hit in prime time, I believe R18, yes!

I caught it in syndication every day after school, thought it was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2020 1:13 PM

John Gavin. I know he acted in big features but he didn't play the casting couch game (in spite of having creepy Henry Willson as his agent) and that, in combination with a somewhat "wooden" style, probably cut him off from being a huge star. He did some TV series and headed off to Europe and came back to Universal but he coulda been bigger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2020 10:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!