Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Need Practicing RN/NP Advice

My husband needs a cardiac cathertization. I haven’t worked in a hospital in 20 years, but back then we only did cardiac caths at hospitals where they did heart surgery. My husband is raring to go get his cath at a local community hospital on eastern Long Island. I’d rather he go to one of the hospitals that do heart surgery. Is cardiac cath a much safer procedure now? We used to have an on-call OR room when we did caths in case of dissection

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2020 11:51 PM

He should probably get his affairs in order and say his goodbyes.

It may be a good time to update his iPod playlists, just to avoid any embarrassing irony.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2020 9:18 PM

OP, I had an angiogram six months ago. I went to Northwestern in Chicago. The whole experience was very good and I was impressed with their attention to detail before, during and after. The technology used today is awesome and they make it seem effortless. But it's not. My procedure was done by experienced cardiologists - it's was not something they had a resident doing. Assuming you have access to options other than a community hospital, why wouldn't you go there?

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2020 9:56 PM

I edited my post & omitted that cardiologists told my husband that if the cardiac cath showed he needed an angioplasty, they would do it right there that day. In a small community hospital. I made sure my mother went to St Francis, a hospital known for cardiovascular surgery, when she had an angioplasty,

My husband is acting as if a cath & angioplasty is no big deal - as if it’s an X-ray or a CT scan. He says “I like my cardiologist, he’s a Jewish guy from Brooklyn (my husband is Jewish from Brooklyn ) and he’s really friendly.” I told him ethnicity & friendliness wasn’t the most important thing here - experience is. I don’t believe this hospital even did these procedures a year ago. Plus I didn’t trust my pulmonologist who was affiliated with the same hospital. So I went into the city and was far more satisfied with the clarity of the pulmonologist there.

My husband also wants to do it ASAP. He’s the same person who tried to talk me into going into the city to get abdominal revision surgery in 2014 rather than have it out here. I said I didn’t want to wait to see a new Dr in the city. I had it done here & it was a disaster and he was all “I told you so.” Now he wants to go right into Podunk Hospital for an invasive cardiovascular procedure.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2020 11:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!