Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Curt Boettcher - forgotten sunshine pop 60s gay music legend (The Millennium, The Association)

Curtis Roy Boettcher -- Producer of Along Comes Mary (The Association, written with fellow gay Tandyn Almer) -- He is a known colleague of Brian Wilson in the '60s and worked on disco records with The Beach Boys (Here Comes The Night). He had a wife and child but is long known to have been gay. He, later on, was a DJ for numerous discos and gay clubs. Worked at a gay bar serving drinks called The Hayloft in Studio City, CA in the latter 70's early 80s. He started in folk and ended up being one of the most innovative, psychedelic 'sunshine pop' producers. He is known as the king of Sunshine Pop. He collaborated with Gary Usher on a project known as Sagittarius in the mid to late 60s. Afterwards formed the group The Millennium, which it's album 'Begin' is one of the greatest 60s albums of all time.

Any Californian eldergays know anything fresh about him? He was known by many compared to other obscure gay music legends. Produced strange stuff towards the end of his career. He died of a lung infection and was HIV positive at the time of his death. A best friend of mine and I are obsessed with this talent, and we are hoping to bring more of his story to light, no matter how NSFW or debatable it gets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2021 4:41 AM

Here's an article from the NY Times talking about the veritable biographer of Curt, but also sheds light on him and his sexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2020 2:13 AM

The Millennium album Begin is brilliant. So far ahead of it's time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2020 2:33 AM

My World Fell Down by Sagittarius is one of the most brilliant of the Sunshine Pop era. Especially the long version.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2020 1:24 PM

He is one of my favorites, and as a gay musician he has inspired me to keep going, no matter what. I want to do what he did, in an electronic world. This stuff will come back, the beautiful music will return one day.

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2020 5:17 AM

Cute face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2020 5:32 AM

Aww, what a cutie. Just my type.

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2020 5:33 AM

Just bumping this post. An artist this good can't be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 7February 27, 2021 6:06 AM

Some performers should remain forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 8February 27, 2021 6:14 AM

R8 Troll.

by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2021 7:19 AM

Wonderful tune by Curt, enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2021 4:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!