Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about LOLA FALANA!

I'm 39, so it looks like she's a little before my time. Not that that's an excuse -- of course I know of artists and performers who were popular before I was born -- but she certainly wasn't a household name when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s. A friend in his 50s posted this video on his Instagram today and it took me down a Lola Falana rabbit hole. A powerful voice, a beautiful body, a sensual and powerful dancer and charisma out the tooter. That said, a lot of the material I saw her performing was rather... trite. Very dated, Vegas strip variety shows of the 60s-70s. Is that why you think she perhaps didn't have greater longevity?

Did anyone see her on Broadway? Her powerful presence and beautiful movement make me think she'd have been fabulous in Chicago (or any Fosse work, for that matter.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2020 2:00 PM

She was referenced a lot in the 70's on TV shows and late night talk shows (e.g. Johnny Carson). I was young and never saw her in anything - but she was a huge Vegas act and one of the first black women that was referred to as a sex symbol, that I can recall.

It almost seemed like her name was used as a default for a sexy woman - like Marilyn Monroe's name was used in the 50's and 60's.

For my young mind, she was famous for being famous - somewhere. I still couldn't recognize her face out of a sea of pictures, but I know the name.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2020 12:43 AM

she's in love with Jesus now so she's quit dancin' in her scanties, shakin' her funbags, and kickin' the stuff around

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2020 2:14 AM

Backwards her name was "Analaf Alol"

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2020 3:29 AM

Yes, in the '70s she had a very big Vegas- and "Merv Griffin" syndicated variety show-type popularity going on. Gorgeous, beautiful and snazzy in a1970s sensual Diana Ross over-the-top way.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2020 4:49 AM

Joey Heatherton and Lola Falana.

Don’t think Lola was as notorious as Joey though. Hence, she wasn’t as newsworthy.

Mostly variety show appearances, with occasional talk show (aka Johnny Carson).

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2020 5:08 AM

The most fabulous Afro-Cuban danseuse/songstress ever!

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2020 5:12 AM

The fan dance in OP's video is fabulous. Someone should steal that act.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2020 5:16 AM

More talent in her left beef curtain than in Diane Ross' entire scrawny body.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2020 5:32 AM

Lola dated Johnny Carson for a while.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2020 5:35 AM

She was a dancer in the Sammy Davis vehicle "Golden Boy," and Sammy would go on to promote Lola as much as he could. Her only Broadway vehicle, "Doctor Jazz" (1975), was an unmitigated disaster that lasted less than a week at the Winter Garden. But I still remember hard-working Lola descending from high above in one of the big production numbers.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2020 5:46 AM

I never saw Lola Falana but I did see the Black Theatre of Prague. The fans in OP's link were their ideas put to very Broadway use.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2020 11:36 AM

My favorite Lola Falana-related anecdote: Comedian Pat Cooper was on “The Howard Stern Show” during its early WOR-TV days, and he and Stern were discussing some of the folks he’d worked with over the years. Cooper said the once he and Falana were leaving the theatre after a show he’d opened for her, and Falana remarked to the stage manager that she hoped she didn’t get bombarded with autograph requests outside the stage door. The stage manager answered, “There’s no one there!”

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2020 12:03 PM

LOL R12.

Good ending for her there!

Falana has done the religious right shows over the years for interviews & she is NOT a friend to our community.

If Lola has a social media platform, she is probably ranting on Trump's behalf as I write this.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2020 1:45 AM

R1 What am I?

Chopped liver?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2020 1:51 AM

Even Mary Wilson wouldn't claim that Lola Falana had more talent than Diana Ross. Judge for yourself (11:14).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2020 10:21 AM

Gay NYers of a certain generation:

"Lola Falana? Not a pretty story."

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2020 10:23 AM

Because why not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2020 10:32 AM

Something terrible happened to her and we never knew what. "Lola Falana, not a pretty story."

This production number is so simple and fabulous. I LOVE the fact late 60s, 70s show biz strut. She caused several hundred Italian boners instantly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2020 10:36 AM

She was known as the Black Joey Heatherton.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2020 12:27 PM

Miss Lola Falana for Tigress by Fabergé

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2020 12:32 PM

She became a big star in Italy, always on TV there in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2020 12:33 PM

I remember her being the punch line of jokes back in the 70s but was too young to know wahy. I figured it was her silly name.

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2020 12:49 PM

By the way the theatre at r18 is a sleek and gorgeous as Lola.

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2020 1:49 PM

She has MS and I think went hard core religions after she recovered from a flare up of it. I think she’s been in remission for years.

by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2020 2:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!