Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Looks Like Biden Is Going To Give Buttigieg Table Scraps.

God forbid you give a rising democratic star under 40 something solid on his resume, instead it will be something like VA which is a headache and a dead end politically.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600December 7, 2020 7:48 PM

Biden is trying to cater to the woke right now, who hate Buttigieg and consider him conservative-adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2020 12:28 AM

If he doesn’t give Pete anything, I will be disappointed and think less of him. I’m tired of of these “woke” appointments.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2020 12:29 AM

R1, as opposed to the far right who call him a fag.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2020 12:32 AM

Pete has been a good spokesperson for Biden. He's excellent in communication. What cabinet position or post would that be?

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2020 12:35 AM

Or maybe Pete will get a more lucrative role in CNN or cable news that pays more.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2020 12:36 AM

I would've though Pete for Press Secretary, but I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2020 12:36 AM

R2

"Woke" appointments? What kind of appointments are "woke" exactly?

Appointing a black woman is "woke"? But appointing a gay white man isn't "woke"?

Using "woke" (the adjective formerly known as "socially conscious") as a derogatory term is a rightwing thing. I loathe Mayor Peter for being a centrist corporate lapdog bible-thumper, but let's be honest. Every appointment made by Biden is going to derided as "woke" including appointing Peter to anything.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2020 12:37 AM

Stop the shitting around, you cunts.

These initial appointments don't matter.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2020 12:38 AM

I think appointing a gay man at the UN would be more groundbreaking than appointing a black woman. Those homophobic shitstains would have to acknowledge him.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2020 12:40 AM

Give me a break. Pete is not going to be the press secretary. What qualifies him for that job? 5 minute segments on cable news is not “experience” for being press secretary. All those communications directors have years of experience with the media.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2020 12:41 AM

A gay man is never going to be appointed to a UN position by America, let alone over a black woman. America is a homophobic country before it is a racist country.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2020 12:41 AM

I know trump has made cabinet appointments a total reality show, but picking a cabinet is not like fancasting for the Wicked movie. People who are appointed to these positions have years and years of experience in their specific fields. Pete is not qualified to be anything other than VA secretary and even that’s stretching it. Get over it, girls.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2020 12:47 AM

Buttigieg was a mayor from Indiana.

He's lucky he's getting anything.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2020 12:50 AM

Fuck that. Buttigieg should have been the Presidential nominee.

These appointments have been lackluster so far. Where's Warren? Where's Castro? Marianne Williamson as spiritual advisor or some type of community outreach to the President?

And I don't give a crap what anybody says. I believe he was forced into choosing Harris because of the racial unrest. Not that she isn't completely qualified, but his inner circle let everyone else know exactly how they felt about her over the summer. There was no love lost. I totally believe he wanted Klobouchar but was backed into a corner on Kamala.

There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2020 12:51 AM

[quote]He's lucky he's getting anything.

Biden's in office mainly because he wasn't Trump.

Bring it back down to Earth, sweetie. There's no leg to stand on this one

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2020 12:53 AM

Who would Pete be if he wasn't gay?

Just saying. Is he really all that?

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2020 12:53 AM

Biden was the Vice President and a senator before that.

Buttigieg was a horrible mayor and totally insensitive towards the black community.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2020 12:54 AM

Wall St would never let Warren anywhere near the Treasury department. That isn’t happening.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2020 12:55 AM

R7 / Ooze:

Serious question: How is Petey a "Bible-thumper?"

Several Bible passages condemn homosexuality, and yet he believes in God.

But he's not exactly a Pat Robertson adherent or a member of the Westboro or Falwell klans. Wouldn't you agree?

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2020 12:57 AM

A cabinet position, ANY cabinent position is great for an unemployed former mayor.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2020 1:00 AM

R17, he wasn't a horrible mayor at all.

It's weird how hysterical some posters are.

The first kind is all "Pete is entitled to the highest-ranking positions and if he doesn't get them Joe is a HOMOPHOBE"

The second kind acts like he's a combination of Satan and Hitler and the worst mayor in the history of the world

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2020 1:01 AM

My favorite is when people hate Pete for being "corporate" because he worked for McKinsey. He was an analyst there yet twitter idiots act like he was destroying the world.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2020 1:03 AM

R16, every president we've had has been straight. And every vice president, every Secretary of State, and so forth. So you're claiming being gay gives him a huge advantage? Over whom?

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2020 1:03 AM

R6 Press secretary is an administrative job. Pete almost won the nomination; he's on a different career track than a PR person.

Hopefully Pete gets Secretary of HUD

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2020 1:03 AM

[quote] I loathe Mayor Peter for being a centrist corporate lapdog bible-thumper

I, too, dislike trolls' painting of everything even slightly left of center as 'woke,' but perhaps equally cloying is the very personal hatchet-job that many of the Bernie Twitterati crowd attacked Pete with during the primary. Most of it based on lies, falsehoods, and a lot of it bordering on homophobic. Yes, Pete is religious and a little more middle-of-the-road. So what? What do you expect from someone who grew up somewhere like Indiana? He came out later as gay than some other young people -- again, so what? That's a very personal decision, and again, not everybody lives somewhere like an LA or a NYC where you can be a part of a larger gay community or be a politician running on a more progressive platform.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2020 1:04 AM

Petes doesnt check the identy checkboxes the Bidem wants.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2020 1:06 AM

Exactly R11. And sadly. There are over 100 million Evangelical Christians in America and the thing they most hate are gay males with abortion running a close second. Then there are all the other run of the mill homophobes on top of them.

It's going to be many decades before a gay man like Buttigieg would be permitted rise high up. It's a great pity but incrementally the talented work he does and his visibility will help pave the way.

I've seen posts here from people saying that Buttigieg should run for President in 2024 and that's just so fucking delusional and insane it's not even funny. Totally unrealistic and impossible for now.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2020 1:08 AM

Biden spent most of his politcal career opposing progress for gay people after all. This isnt a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote]I've seen posts here from people saying that Buttigieg should run for President in 2024 and that's just so fucking delusional and insane it's not even funny. Totally unrealistic and impossible for now.

Well, Kamala's going to run.

You think she stands a better chance?

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2020 1:09 AM

[quote] Appointing a black woman is "woke"?

Yes, R7. But you knew that, didn't you?

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2020 1:10 AM

The nominee in 2024 is probably going to be....Biden.

Believe it.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2020 1:11 AM

R28, no, he didn't. He supported overturning DADT like Obama did and opposed the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2020 1:14 AM

[quote]The nominee in 2024 is probably going to be....Biden.

Good one!

Meanwhile back in reality, Kamala is going to be the nominee in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2020 1:15 AM

R32, someone is forgetting the first 30 years..

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2020 1:18 AM

R31, And he will lose.

Beleive it

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2020 1:19 AM

Why would butty boy get a cabinet position?

Get real. He’s only ever been a mayor!

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2020 1:19 AM

A woman who has worked in the foreign service for thirty years is a woke token appointment?

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2020 1:22 AM

She looks like a gorilla.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2020 1:23 AM

It's going to be an entertaining week with the deranged Pete fraus.

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2020 1:23 AM

We'll see r33. Everyone seems to have convinced themselves Biden won't run for another term, but giving up power isn't easy. I'll believe it when I see it.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2020 1:25 AM

R25 He used right-wing dog whistles like "SJW", they didn't need to resort to falsehoods

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2020 1:26 AM

Press Secretary is a tough job. They never seem to last very long even in non-Trump presidencies.

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2020 1:27 AM

Uh hello people!!! The mayor is not qualified for anything in Washington.

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2020 1:27 AM

R1 I'd like some examples of the things Biden has done to cater to the "woke"

R10 At least they're no longer insisting he must be made UN Ambassador because he was in the military, which apparently gave him more foreign policy experience than any other candidate - and yes they were actually saying that.

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2020 1:28 AM

Pete would be a great Press Secretary but I don't think he would want it, its not seen as a very prestigious position. Secretary of Veteran Affairs would look better on his resume, that was always the logical assumption of where he would end up.

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2020 1:28 AM

Pete’s not qualified for any cabinet appointment, so he should be happy with whatever he gets.

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2020 1:29 AM

R19

He's not a "bible-thumper" in the sense of a speaking-in-tongues, evangelical, televangelist type, of course. The particular aspect of him broadcasting his religiosity that *especially* irks me is that he uses his religiosity to play to the straights along these lines: "I'm one of the GOOD ones. I'm just like you. I just love, Love, LOVE Jeebus." This is subtextual PR strategy that I'm sure others won't see or acknowledge. But, I personally, consider it destructive to play into a narrative that 'gays aren't necessarily bad because I'm gay and I'm addicted to Jeebus'. Being gay isn't bad, regardless one's religious identification.

R25

I'm from an adjacent state to IN and I'm demographically very similar to Buttigieg. I came out as a teen because it was the right thing to do. He came out when it was safe and strategically convenient for him to do so. I don't expect anything from him as a South Bend, Indiana politician. Of course, he's a small-city midwestern politician and he's going to play the little good ol' midwestern christian boy games to get ahead. But now he's on the national stage and I'm not going to clap and applaud someone as some kind of 'gay hero' when he's not. He's an opportunist with pro-corporate conservative values. I probably wouldn't viscerally hate him as much if people didn't act like he was some kind of gay version of MLK though. He's not. He would be considered rightwing in countries that aren't as regressive as ours and he pretended to be straight for his own advantage into his 30s.

R30

You ignored my entire point where I followed up that question by asking, "But appointing a gay white man isn't "woke"?"

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote]would look better on his resume

Oh, never mind if he'd actually be any good, eh? Just as long as it makes him look good?

Besides, the idea of being in charge of the VA being anything but a poisoned chalice shows how ignorant you must be about politics. Do you have any idea how bad that department is?

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2020 1:31 AM

Ooze = slime.

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2020 1:33 AM

Ooze = right on the money.

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2020 1:37 AM

R46 Someone as intelligent, hardworking and as good at communicating as Pete could do capably fill any of these roles

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2020 1:41 AM

[quote] Biden spent most of his politcal career opposing progress for gay people after all

He supported Gay marriage and was against Don't Ask Don't Tell. He was in office when Gay marriage was legalized and when DADT was disbanded

And what exactly have you done?

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2020 1:43 AM

Biden has a government to set up and run, he should give appointments for the person who can do the job NOT by who's the most popular or for favors. Jesus, I'm glad you bunch of old crack pot queens aren't making the decisions.

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2020 1:45 AM

Pete is excellent at beating back white wing trolls on their own turf.

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2020 1:48 AM

[quote] he should give appointments for the person who can do the job NOT by who's the most popular or for favors

oh r54 you're innocence is charming

Politics has never been that way and never will be.

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2020 1:48 AM

OP, lol. Pete needs to go to TelAviv and suck dick for a few years before Biden even considers him employable

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2020 1:50 AM

[quote]He was in office when Gay marriage was legalized and when DADT was disbanded

He was in office! LOL.

Hopefully he wasn't in the crapper at the time.

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2020 1:52 AM

[quote] Someone as intelligent, hardworking and as good at communicating as Pete could do capably fill any of these roles

Didn't he say the Founding Fathers didn't know slavery was wrong? Just the communicator we need!

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2020 1:53 AM

Lol why are you queens so obsessed with this religious queen? It's embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2020 1:54 AM

I hope you know that the VA has the largest share of the federal budget after the Defense Department. It is huge. and it has never had the kind of management and attention it deserves. it is not B.S. if Pete did get the VA, it would definitely be an upgrade for the VA. Personally I might put Pete at the Commerce Department. He would have plenty to do there and it's important.

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2020 1:56 AM

Pete is probably getting UN Ambassador. Do you understand that it's one of the most high-profile positions on the world stage? He will literally be a mainstay on TV all over the globe for the next 4 years. Susan Rice and Nikki Minaj were constantly on TV when they held the position. It's far more prestigious and visible position than Sec. of Agriculture or some other job that nobody cares about.

by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2020 1:57 AM

{quote] ... and a dead end politically.

Wouldn't Mayor of South Bend be considered a dead end as well? Indiana is so red now, that Pete probably wouldn't be able to win a higher office like Governor or Senator in that state. Even the 2nd Congressional district wherein South Bend is located just went 61.5% for the Rethug again. Is there any buzz on what Pete's might have been planning to do if Biden hadn't have won? e.g. move someplace where he might have a better chance of being elected to a higher office?

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2020 1:57 AM

Did you even look at the opening post r61?

Linda Thomas-Greenfield is getting named UN Ambassador. Its why OP started this thread.

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2020 2:00 AM

R61, I do vividly remember Minaj’s performance of “Anaconda” in front of the Security Council.

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2020 2:01 AM

[quote]Susan Rice and Nikki Minaj were constantly on TV when they held the position

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2020 2:04 AM

[quote] My favorite is when people hate Pete for being "corporate" because he worked for McKinsey. He was an analyst there yet twitter idiots act like he was destroying the world.

There’s a segment of the extreme left (honestly, they’re too out-there to even be called that) that thinks anyone who isn’t a homeless sex worker is “corporate.”

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2020 2:06 AM

r61 is a good reminder that deplorable-style delusion can happen to followers of any politician.

by Anonymousreply 67November 23, 2020 2:06 AM

And Buttigieg was never heard from again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 23, 2020 2:07 AM

R58

Yes, he did say that. Specifically, he said, "the people who wrote the Constitution did not understand that slavery was a bad thing...”

by Anonymousreply 69November 23, 2020 2:09 AM

R66

Here's an informative link on the subject:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 23, 2020 2:13 AM

[quote] Buttigieg was a horrible mayor and totally insensitive towards the black community.

You know it is funny to hear shit like this from people who have no idea what they are talking about. I live near South Bend and Mayor Pete had very few critics from the black community until he ran for President. In fact Mayor Pete had more critics from the white community than the black community and he wasn't a horrible mayor, he had his critics like all mayors do, but he was generally well thought of as mayor. South Bend is a city with problems, it improved under Mayor Pete, not drastically but it did improve during a very rough economic period.

by Anonymousreply 71November 23, 2020 2:17 AM

R17 And what was Trump before he became president? Not even a mayor.

by Anonymousreply 72November 23, 2020 2:23 AM

Matt Anscher is wrong again. ;)

by Anonymousreply 73November 23, 2020 2:29 AM

Why does the media kiss Pete’s ass so much? You even had that no nothing idiot, Joy Behar saying he should be UN Ambassador

by Anonymousreply 74November 23, 2020 2:32 AM

R55 Your bbitterness is palpable and part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 75November 23, 2020 2:32 AM

R62 Apparently Pete and Chasten recently bought a house in Michigan...

by Anonymousreply 76November 23, 2020 2:38 AM

you must be on the spectrum r75

by Anonymousreply 77November 23, 2020 2:40 AM

Pete is smart and ac complished and talented. He is articulate and he did a lot of heavy lifting for Joe Biden. I will not tolerate you vile trolls trying to disparage him! We don't even know if he wants anything. Maybe he wants to do something else. Maybe he will run for office again just not in Indiana. IMO if I were advising him, I'd tell him to take some high profile do good position either inside or outside government, and be an advocate for something wonderful. Do that for two or three years, then look around to decide whether he wants to run for something like the Senate or Governor. Maybe Congress.

by Anonymousreply 78November 23, 2020 2:41 AM

I had heard that Buttigieg was in the running for the UN Ambassador position. Maybe he didn't want it. Maybe Biden has something else in mind for him. But it's ridiculous to complain about him not getting it.

Also, you people saying Biden is just being "woke" to appoint Linda Thomas-Greenfield to the UN are obnoxious and offensive. Do you honestly think that a black woman can't possibly be ideally qualified for the job?

by Anonymousreply 79November 23, 2020 2:42 AM

Pete is too anti-Black. He needs to learn some respect for women of color

by Anonymousreply 80November 23, 2020 2:43 AM

R60 Apparently the Sec of VA job is the least desirable role by far. High risk and low reward. And can't do anything productive with a red senate.

by Anonymousreply 81November 23, 2020 2:45 AM

R78 Pete’s people are the ones planting stories about him being made UN Ambassador

by Anonymousreply 82November 23, 2020 2:45 AM

Biden always said he was going to work from the middle, which is what we should expect. The only two groups he has highlighted throughout his campaign were black women and Transgender people. So if he was going to give the hard left a bone to chew on, it was always going to come from one of those two groups.

There is no way a gay man was going to be appointed to an important cabinet position when Biden is a hardcore Trans supporter. The Trans movement is incredibly homophobic.

The middle, from where Biden wants to lead, is not ready for a gay man in a leadership role.

Still, Biden will be a much much much better president that Trump.

by Anonymousreply 83November 23, 2020 2:49 AM

R74 “ Why does the media kiss Pete’s ass so much?”

Where to I apply to join the media?

by Anonymousreply 84November 23, 2020 2:50 AM

The Democrats centrist hate Pete. He ain't going to get shit.

by Anonymousreply 85November 23, 2020 2:50 AM

I don't think there is anything more despicable than some of you white gay assholes who would've gone ballistic if someone who was black and had Pete's LIGHT CV was appointed to such a prestigious position. You know damned well he hasn't earned the right to any high-profile positions yet. Stop it.

by Anonymousreply 86November 23, 2020 2:50 AM

Maybe Pete should try to expand his experience by trying to get into congress. What experience does he have to qualify for a cabinet job in Washington? Almost none!

by Anonymousreply 87November 23, 2020 2:51 AM

Biden and his office are looking at catering towards a sort of diversity that gay men are left out of. They are trying to check boxes to make sure that certain groups don't feel left out of politics, mainly so that Biden doesn't have to deal with the sort of civil unrest that happened under Trump.

There's a reason Biden is choosing black people for highly publicized positions rather than gay men, just like there's a reason he chose Kamala as his VP instead of Pete. It isn't homophobia as much as it's wanting black americans to feel like they're a part of politics, and that's only really to keep them from rioting.

by Anonymousreply 88November 23, 2020 2:52 AM

r88 Black people could care less about any of this. They're like anyone else they want results not platitudes. Kamala was on the ticket and Biden lost ground with Black people. I swear Biden needs to appeal to your average american and not twitter or dems are in for a hurtin'.

by Anonymousreply 89November 23, 2020 2:56 AM

The only reason Biden is appointing black people to all of these highly publicized positions is to make the black community feel "seen", or in simpler terms, to avoid having them try to burn the country down like they did this summer.

Why else do you think he chose Kamala at the very last minute to be his VP? It's important that we not forget what this country was like from May until August. It was like a modern 9/11, it changed everything.

by Anonymousreply 90November 23, 2020 3:00 AM

Since his gift is in communications, Biden could appoint him as WH Director of Communications.

by Anonymousreply 91November 23, 2020 3:02 AM

[quote] It isn't homophobia as much as it's wanting black americans to feel like they're a part of politics

It goes without saying he wants to reward the black community as he sees them as the group that got him to the white house. Plus, it was a black man who revived his career when he was chosen as VP. He owes a lot to the black community.

by Anonymousreply 92November 23, 2020 3:02 AM

R89 You think Biden lost ground with black people? Biden won the presidency because of majority black cities and how black voters showed up this year. I doubt he would have gotten those votes if he'd put Pete on the ticket instead of a black woman.

You're right that blacks are just like everyone else, but you're wrong to say that they want action not platitudes. Everyone wants platitudes. If they didn't then political change would be the rule and not the exception.

by Anonymousreply 93November 23, 2020 3:03 AM

Moron @R90 and the other racist idiots on here shitting on this woman and starting the same crap you did during the primaries: She has spent nearly 20 fucking years as an FSO.

Pete was mayor of South Bend Indiana for eight years.

If you think between the two of them, Pete has more right to be UN Amb, you are in fact blinded by stupidity and hypocrisy. You do in fact expect special treatment for gays - that's what you're saying with this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 94November 23, 2020 3:08 AM

Fuck that. Buttigieg should have been the Presidential nominee

Yup. And he should stay in the running for POTUS. No need to be in the cabinet. Better that he isn't in some ways.

by Anonymousreply 95November 23, 2020 3:09 AM

Chasten should focus on getting a real job. Once Pete’s 15 minutes of fame are up, no more part time teaching gigs at Harvard for him.

by Anonymousreply 96November 23, 2020 3:09 AM

[quote]Linda Thomas-Greenfield is getting named UN Ambassador. Its why OP started this thread.

Are you daft?? That info wasn't in the OP's post, so how the hell are we supposed to know that? Be more clear next time and stop attacking people for the OP's mistake.

by Anonymousreply 97November 23, 2020 3:11 AM

[Quote]Are you daft?

Says the person who didn't look at the article linked and now is getting defensive about it. Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 98November 23, 2020 3:15 AM

Linda Thomas-Greenfield is a former Ambassador and was a career FSO. Also a decent human being who happened to live in my old neighborhood.

I don't know if she would have been my first choice, but she is unequivocally qualified for the UN position and her appointment would restore our credibility there.

by Anonymousreply 99November 23, 2020 3:27 AM

R93 No, black people do want change! It's needed badly and America is long overdue to right the wrongs of the past.

We want change!

by Anonymousreply 100November 23, 2020 3:29 AM

At the end of the day even if Biden were making 'woke' appointments they would be better than any of Trump's appointees. That said as others have already pointed out just because certain posters are unfamiliar with his possible non-white appointees doesn't mean those people are unqualified. As has been noted the potential UN Ambassador has 20years of experience. So...

Some have also forgotten the quid pro quo politics, if black women helped get Biden the presidency, Georgia etc...then yeah qualified black women should definitely be reflected in the administration. Trying to diminish the accomplishments of those appointed as 'woke' is gross, especially because there are many that would feel the same about Mayor Pete and try to diminish what he's accomplished the same way.

With so many unqualified people in the current administration, people have forgotten that it is possible for people to actually step up to the challenge of a job. Rise to the occasion. Even though not a a single person in the Trump administration has done that. I think that's something Pete B can do/could do. Certainly this administration can do better than an appointment like Rick Grennell.

by Anonymousreply 101November 23, 2020 3:29 AM

Why is it whenever black people get certain things, jobs, awards, or acceptance into a university white people always think of it as some type of affirmative action thing?

Why is that?

Why are black people just not worthy like anyone else is.

Just more fake white liberals I guess.

by Anonymousreply 102November 23, 2020 3:33 AM

He won the presidency because every sane person from every walk of life voted for him. It's understandable that he rewards the AA community because they are his most loyal supporters. They literally saved his campaign after he got some traction in Nevada and the primaries moved to South Carolina. However, Biden should remember that it was not one group but a coalition of many groups that got him to the finish line.

Of course I wish Pete was getting something, nothing is formal yet, so there is still hope.

by Anonymousreply 103November 23, 2020 3:37 AM

Biden doesn't want people who are constantly on TV trying to promote themselves. He likes people who work hard and keep a low profile. I have a feeling that he was turned off by Pete's recent thirstiness.

by Anonymousreply 104November 23, 2020 3:37 AM

He might nominate Pete to the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 105November 23, 2020 3:38 AM

Pete buttigieg is definitely a woke entity in my opinion.

He's nothing special. Just because he has a prolapsed asshole between his cheeks, doesn't mean he's qualified for a high level position in thus up coming Biden Harris administration.

And he's never going to be president either. His whole shtick is of the moment, Petey boy is nothing special.

And he was a horrible mayor. He couldn't even run his own small city, you really think he can run the damn country?

Delusions!

by Anonymousreply 106November 23, 2020 3:39 AM

[quote] There is no way a gay man was going to be appointed to an important cabinet position when Biden is a hardcore Trans supporter. The Trans movement is incredibly homophobic.

You seriously think Biden is familiar with the DL line of reasoning that says trans advocacy is homophobic? Or that he’d avoid appointing a gay man for fear of offending trannies? Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 107November 23, 2020 3:48 AM

For those squawking about a gay man getting his dues, I think it's likely that Former Ambassador Rufus Gifford could get a new gig. He served under the Obama admin, has a nice little Netflix documentary, and is Biden's Deputy Campaign Manager. So, it's not like Biden is icing out the gays, he just has a LONG list of people that have silently been in the trenches/fields for certain areas that align with key positions. Everyone from Yang, Bernie, Warren, and Pete played nice this primary in support of Joe.

Oh and Rufus Gifford and his husband make a hotter couple. Rufus comes from a nice upper middle class New England background, and he has the leadership experience and DC experience for a job with Joe. I'm sorry, Pete is amazing in many ways, but placing him in front of others because he's eloquent and smart, despite a paper thin resume, is like placing Ivanka in a government job over other people just because she doesn't sound threatening and was a Trump Corp VP.

Here is the hot former Ambassador/Biden Deputy Campaign Manager (right side) with his handsome husband, right before they spit roast Pete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 23, 2020 3:57 AM

Ruffus sadly lost in a 10 way Primary for Congress in 2018. He has aspirations for future positions. His husband has perfected the art of being a dashing spouse. Unlike Pete, Ruffus is a bit too eager and transparent, like Cory Booker. Still, it makes me smile to see such positive government workers like him and Pete, and I'll say Booker.

I would gladly spend a weekend as a play thing for these two sexy men. Brains, beauty, hard work, and a little money. Check out their documentary, this is a random VICE clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 23, 2020 4:03 AM

[quote] Pete has been a good spokesperson for Biden. He's excellent in communication. What cabinet position or post would that be?

Biden is going to encourage Pete to run for elected office.

by Anonymousreply 110November 23, 2020 4:08 AM

Pete was on tv again and talking to Andrea Mitchell about the Biden's transition. He said he is working as an advisory on the transition board so the worry warts here need to chill. it seems like he's a sort of spokesperson for the Biden transition. I am sure he is going to get rewarded for his hard work. . He is pretty gifted in thinking on his feet so he really should have something related to media or communications.

by Anonymousreply 111November 23, 2020 4:17 AM

[quote] Biden is going to encourage Pete to run for elected office.

Pete is not going to win anything above mayor in Indiana, the State of Deplorables. Someone here said he moved o Michigan? That's a good place to start.

by Anonymousreply 112November 23, 2020 4:22 AM

[quote] Pete is not going to win anything above mayor in Indiana, the State of Deplorables. Someone here said he moved o Michigan? That's a good place to start.

Pete's political future and fortune depends on him winning elected office. I believe he can do it and if he needs to relocate so be it. HRC moved to New York to run for Senator. Pete needs to demonstrate that he can build the coalition necessary to elect a gay man to higher office.

by Anonymousreply 113November 23, 2020 4:37 AM

What do you want him to do, 0P? Wait until after the inauguration, dump Harris, hire him as vice president and then step aside?

by Anonymousreply 114November 23, 2020 4:50 AM

[quote] dump Harris, hire him as vice president

To be fair that would be a big upgrade

by Anonymousreply 115November 23, 2020 5:10 AM

[quote] I'm from an adjacent state to IN and I'm demographically very similar to Buttigieg. I came out as a teen because it was the right thing to do.

R47, well, sincere congratulations -- that's good for you. But not everybody finds themselves in the right head-space to come out as a teenager or even a young adult, for a variety of reasons, i.e. society pressure, family, religion, etc. I don't see any point in judging other people based on their level of professional or personal outness. I am just a bit younger than Pete, and I'm from deep blue LA, and not even I was completely out to everyone until after college, and even afterwards, I wasn't always forthcoming with co-workers/bosses -- because hey, that's my business.

And Pete [italic]is[/italic] out now, with a husband, which is what counts to me anyhow.

by Anonymousreply 116November 23, 2020 5:20 AM

[quote] My favorite is when people hate Pete for being "corporate" because he worked for McKinsey. He was an analyst there yet twitter idiots act like he was destroying the world.

That odious and involuntarily celibate hack Nathan J. Robinson (behold him in all of his glory below) is the originator of much of the anti-Pete drivel which Twitter mindlessly regurgitates. It all reminds me of the nastiness coming from some in the Bernie camp during the primaries. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117November 23, 2020 5:48 AM

Eew bad taste he thinks is original. Closet case?

by Anonymousreply 118November 23, 2020 10:26 AM

[quote]Biden is trying to cater to the woke right now

Absolute bullshit, R1. None of his potential nominees are friends to "the woke." They're all career politicians with enough corporate baggage to make "the woke" upset. You pulled that out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 119November 23, 2020 10:31 AM

I agree, R111, but I also think he could move to a more amenable state and win higher office easily, even if it's "just" Representative. His lack of experience in federal office of any sort limits his ability to work in the Biden administration, unless he ends up taking a smaller role as junior advisor, which I also think he'd be good at, and would likely move up the ranks very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 120November 23, 2020 10:33 AM

As usual, the DNC and the so-called left puts the wants and needs of gay men and lesbians dead last.

by Anonymousreply 121November 23, 2020 10:51 AM

Stop trying to make Petey the Unsuitable happen!!

by Anonymousreply 122November 23, 2020 10:58 AM

R11, Dag Hammarskjold was gay . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 23, 2020 11:04 AM

The Pete trolls are fucking disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 124November 23, 2020 11:06 AM

The anti-Pete trolls are worse.

by Anonymousreply 125November 23, 2020 11:07 AM

He's already happening.

The brightest star in the political firmament since Bill Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 126November 23, 2020 11:07 AM

R123 And Hammarskjold's homosexuality was locked away behind a steel-doored closet until 2005.

by Anonymousreply 127November 23, 2020 11:13 AM

I’m tired of all of this idiotic hippie dippy antiwar bullshit. War is social justice, especially when waged by gay men against homophobes.

Pete Buttigieg should be president right now. He is one of the smartest men in the world and proof that gays are uniquely qualified to tell others what to do.

by Anonymousreply 128November 23, 2020 11:13 AM

Why don't you just wait and see where he ends up? He's become quite the Biden cheerleader on Instagram, including posting photos of the two of them whenever he can. He's campaigning and it would be foolish for Biden to squander someone eloquent. He could be press secretary, communications director, UN ambassador, a foreign ambassador, any kind of spokesperson role that relates to the military. His polyglot abilities make me think something in international affairs.

by Anonymousreply 129November 23, 2020 11:13 AM

Fascism is only fascist when carried out by heterosexuals, not by gay people.

by Anonymousreply 130November 23, 2020 11:14 AM

We're used to this.

Straight men and women don't consider us their equals.

Most of the gay men I know spend their days concerned with causes that don't do anything to advance gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 131November 23, 2020 11:27 AM

[quote] What do you want him to do, 0P? Wait until after the inauguration, dump Harris, hire him as vice president and then step aside?

Great idea, R114.

by Anonymousreply 132November 23, 2020 12:45 PM

I am disappointed that Pete did not get the UN, but I have no issues with who Biden plans to appoint. And I will be happy with whatever role Pete ends up with. He's a got a great future ahead of him and he has already broken down barriers. He's openly gay and won Iowa in the primaries and he's the first 37 year old gay man to ever be called "young".

by Anonymousreply 133November 23, 2020 12:52 PM

I feel like most of us have given up on caring about gay rights. It's a lost cause, straight people gave up after gay marriage got legalized and moved on to trannies, who gave them an excuse not to care about us anymore.

by Anonymousreply 134November 23, 2020 1:03 PM

Secretary of Housing. Secretary of Education. His experience is applicable to those two hugely important departments. He could make an enormous success of either of those departments.

Still, these cabinet positions seem like terminal positions in a long career. If Buttigieg wants to be President, he's got to get his gay ass elected as a Governor or a Senator. Sorry, girls. He simply has to prove himself at the ballot box.

by Anonymousreply 135November 23, 2020 1:19 PM

[quote]Pete is not going to be the press secretary. What qualifies him for that job? 5 minute segments on cable news is not “experience” for being press secretary. All those communications directors have years of experience with the media.

No, no, guys, he’s right.

by Anonymousreply 136November 23, 2020 1:34 PM

[quote] You even had that no nothing idiot, Joy Behar

Delicious irony.

by Anonymousreply 137November 23, 2020 1:35 PM

pete has a nice new house

by Anonymousreply 138November 23, 2020 1:38 PM

[quote] And what was Trump before he became president?

[quote] if Biden were making 'woke' appointments they would be better than any of Trump's appointees.

I’d like to set the bar just a touch higher. Maybe just a skosh.

by Anonymousreply 139November 23, 2020 1:38 PM

Joe's promised Pete he can have a weekend with Hunter and his 9 inches of lovin'.

by Anonymousreply 140November 23, 2020 1:39 PM

R69 et al. Sir Ooze, I like the cut of your jib. You seem very well informed.

by Anonymousreply 141November 23, 2020 1:49 PM

I’m a big fan but what experience does Pete have that he deserves a big role? He’s a bit untested and lacks experience for these roles that are being discussed now, no?

by Anonymousreply 142November 23, 2020 1:59 PM

[quote] He supported Gay marriage

Finally in 2012! He was actively opposed to it before then.

by Anonymousreply 143November 23, 2020 1:59 PM

Have they moved out of Indiana and to Michigan?

by Anonymousreply 144November 23, 2020 2:03 PM

Maybe he will be appointed Hunter’s - um - bodyguard.

by Anonymousreply 145November 23, 2020 2:04 PM

[quote]Since his gift is in communications, Biden could appoint him as WH Director of Communications.

That does not get him anywhere in the long term except a commentator job on CNN. He'll probably get an Ambassador's job. It doesn't look like he's destined for Cabinet.

And nobody seems to think about what Pete presumably wants. Staff jobs aren't anything to run on (except Chief of Staff, maybe and even then the usual dance steps are elected first and then the big dog jobs in Cabinet or staff after.) Pissing about on the podium, obfuscating for an administration in shit (and eventually they all end up in shit) is not a good look for a candidate.

He's gonna need to find somewhere to run at some point. But it would have to be somewhere he can win. I doubt that's Indiana. Maybe a term as a Biden administration ambassador and then they can move home to a state with an opportunity. He's young. There's lots of time to do it properly and one thing I am sure of, Pete is plotting a far more strategic path than most of you fangurls.

by Anonymousreply 146November 23, 2020 2:07 PM

I hate carpetbaggers.

by Anonymousreply 147November 23, 2020 2:09 PM

If Pete Buttigieg were a gifted communicator, he would have been able to assemble a broad base of support. He failed to do that, even in the city he ran. Just because Trump hired unqualified, inexperienced staff doesn't mean that Biden should follow that precedent. I really don't understand why people thought he'd get a high profile administrative job when he has no experience.

by Anonymousreply 148November 23, 2020 2:15 PM

1. McKinsey is one of the highest paying jobs you can get right out of college with a liberal arts degree. For someone like Pete who had a lot of student loans, that alone is tempting. It's also billed as "you work there for two or three years and you can go and pretty much do anything else" as the experience is considered very valuable. But as someone who had that type of job out of college, you mostly spend your time crunching numbers, looking to see if rain affected the sales of oranges in your supermarket chain client, or which other apps people who signed up for a full year (versus monthly) subscription were using. You get really good at PowerPoint and SWOT analysis (strengths/weaknesses/opportunities/threats) More than that, as a junior analyst, that's what you do--you run numbers and make slides for the people higher up the food chain, and if you're lucky, they explain to you what the rationale for running those particular numbers is and what they are hoping to prove/disprove. You do not make any decisions and you rarely have any more than a very top-level notion of what the larger assignment is. Calling Pete "corporatist" is incredibly classist, as people who do not need to pay off student loans or make money can take all sorts of low-paying do-good jobs and often forget that not everyone who went to college with them has the same options. They are incredibly sympathetic to the poor but not to the middle class.

2. Julian Castro syndrome is real. Castro never held any elective office beyond mayor of San Antonio, and it hurt him in the primaries where he was mostly referred to as "former Sec of HUD". Pete needs to run for something bigger and prove he has appeal outside of South Bend. We also have no indication Pete wants a cabinet position--he may have decided he is better served as a commentator on CNN where he can keep a high profile versus Sec of VA, where no one will hear from him and then running for Congress or Senate in 2022.

3. Biden seems to be appointing people who are really competent at their jobs but relatively unknown to audiences at home.

by Anonymousreply 149November 23, 2020 2:22 PM

He doesn't bring a demographic that Biden and Kamala haven't already captured. They'll be looking to bring a mix of far left Dems and center right Republicans (eg the guys from The Lincoln Project). And he can't be trusted not to mount a challenge in four years. Don't want to feed your rival on steroids.

by Anonymousreply 150November 23, 2020 2:28 PM

If I'd been selected Vice President, Pete would have been assured a plum position in this administration. After all, there's nothing more important than the Vice Presidential Purse Carrier.

by Anonymousreply 151November 23, 2020 2:30 PM

[quote]Pete would be a great Press Secretary but I don't think he would want it, its not seen as a very prestigious position

Nobody will be asking him if he wants to be Press Sec. There are campaign people who actually did the job - they are in line for Press Sec and Comms Director.

When will Pete for Press Sec trolls finally get it?

by Anonymousreply 152November 23, 2020 2:33 PM

I would have thought Keeper of the Staplers would have been the biggest job on your staff, Amy.

by Anonymousreply 153November 23, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote] 3. Biden seems to be appointing people who are really competent at their jobs but relatively unknown to audiences at home.

That's what's causing the confusion on this board, since the average person thinks about governance in terms of personalities and not competence and skills. One would think there are only a handful of qualified Democrats in the world because that's all the average DLer can name. And then when one of those seven personalities is passed over, people cry WOKISM. It's a good reminder that the deplorable obsession with celebrity infects decent people as well.

by Anonymousreply 154November 23, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote]When will Pete for Press Sec trolls finally get it?

They don't even understand what a dumb job it is. They just think being on TV is all takes to get elected.

I'll tell you what that mentality gets you: Trump.

by Anonymousreply 155November 23, 2020 2:34 PM

If Amy ever manages to swing an invite to a White House dinner I hope some member of staff replaces all her forks with combs.

by Anonymousreply 156November 23, 2020 2:34 PM

Biden's not only getting people who are competent and experienced, but people who have a history of crossing the aisle.

You have to be prepared for McConnell to block literally every nominee Biden puts forward for every position. Biden wants to have nominees where there is no reason to disqualify them, so he's in a stronger position to fight against McConnell if (or when) McConnell pulls his obstructionist crap.

by Anonymousreply 157November 23, 2020 2:37 PM

R157 I think when Trump is out, McConnell will work with his old friend Biden. This is Mitch's swan song.

Tony Blinken is a good choice as Sec of State. As is Ron Klain for Chief of Staff. Doug Jones or Julian Castro will probably be AG.

Pete, on the other hand, will be VA, Communications, or an ambassador. He will do well and eventually go far, if he wants it.

But God help us if Warren gets Treasury Sec. She'll ruin Wall Street.

by Anonymousreply 158November 23, 2020 2:44 PM

[quote]What qualifies him for that job? 5 minute segments on cable news is not “experience” for being press secretary. All those communications directors have years of experience with the media.

What “years of media experience” did the Huckabeast have?

by Anonymousreply 159November 23, 2020 2:49 PM

I think VA sounds like a poisoned chalice and communications is not the right look.

I bet it's Ambassador to Canada or Mexico. It's actually not a bad get... a lot of exposure to domestic issues and trade... higher profile than a lot of European countries on that basis. The biggest, best get is the UK but that usually goes to a heavier hitter than Pete (and usually somebody with deep pockets.)

It looks like Biden is taking this very, very seriously... picking people right for the job and to undo the damage above all else. Pete is intelligent but comparatively inexperienced... so he can't get a high risk ambassador post.

by Anonymousreply 160November 23, 2020 2:50 PM

[quote]What “years of media experience” did the Huckabeast have?

You don't measure anything by the Huckabeast, except as XXXL tent dress.

by Anonymousreply 161November 23, 2020 2:51 PM

Sarah Huckabee Sanders should've been Sec. of the Interior. It's something she's familiar with, as she proves here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162November 23, 2020 2:53 PM

Exactly R154

And the media is just as guilty as they too are going to the "people who you've heard of" lists to come up with potential cabinet picks.

I'd also add that the media loves Pete because he's one of them--his background is very similar to that of many reporters and pundits, he shares many of their views and it does not take much of a leap to see Pete having taken a different route and winding up with a job similar to Charlie Warzel at the Times or Derek Thompson at The Atlantic.

And da fuck, R159, the whole point is NOT to pick incompetents like Trump did. Trump's MO is to pick people who are expressly unqualified for the job and know they are unqualified, thus he can control them and he doesn't need to worry about them outshining him. This is not uncommon in the corporate world.

by Anonymousreply 163November 23, 2020 2:53 PM

Biden just can't do anything right. What's the agenda here?

by Anonymousreply 164November 23, 2020 2:54 PM

R136 - thank you for pigeon headed whore.

That's just lovely.

by Anonymousreply 165November 23, 2020 2:55 PM

[quote] I think when Trump is out, McConnell will work with his old friend Biden.

How do you find your way through the day, R158? That statement is frighteningly naive.

by Anonymousreply 166November 23, 2020 3:07 PM

[quote]Pete, on the other hand, will be VA, Communications,

VA is a massive bureaucracy, you need someone experienced to manage what works and overhaul what doesn't.

And again with the Communications fantasy pick. Pete will not be working as a Comms person in the WH.

by Anonymousreply 167November 23, 2020 3:07 PM

Could Axios pick a worse-lit photo of the woman?

by Anonymousreply 168November 23, 2020 3:08 PM

I don't think so, R158, Obama said in his memoir that Biden was trying to talk to McConnell about a bill and McConnell interrupted him and said, "You must be under the mistaken impression that I care."

I'd love to be proven wrong though, or at least see some of the GOP start to think for themselves instead of being Mitch's bitches.

by Anonymousreply 169November 23, 2020 3:18 PM

[quote] Biden seems to be appointing people who are really competent at their jobs but relatively unknown to audiences at home.

Probably a wise move if there's any hope to have any one of them confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 170November 23, 2020 3:19 PM

[quote]Pete has a nice new house

So HUD it is.

by Anonymousreply 171November 23, 2020 3:21 PM

Biden knows that Pete has higher aspirations and would encourage him to run for Congress or Governor. Giving him a position that he could easily leave to pursue higher office would be prudent.

by Anonymousreply 172November 23, 2020 3:22 PM

[quote] Give me a break. Pete is not going to be the press secretary. What qualifies him for that job? 5 minute segments on cable news is not “experience” for being press secretary. All those communications directors have years of experience with the media.

You’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 173November 23, 2020 3:26 PM

[quote] They don't even understand what a dumb job it is. They just think being on TV is all takes to get elected.

What in the hell are you talking about??!!

Pete has proven to be one of the few people on the Left who can actually take on the Right and shut them up. Get out of your liberal bubble, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 174November 23, 2020 3:29 PM

If Pete ran for office in Michigan—could he do well?

by Anonymousreply 175November 23, 2020 3:43 PM

So many jealous of Pete. It's natural that we hate our own kind who are better than us.

by Anonymousreply 176November 23, 2020 3:58 PM

It is a little annoying, isn't it R176. I will honestly admit to being a bit of Pete fanboy, but at the same time I am not blind to what his experience level is. But some of the stuff on here seems to be "stay in your place little queen, no one asked for you." It is kind of the way Maddow treated him, like he was stepping outside of his lane.

by Anonymousreply 177November 23, 2020 4:05 PM

Crab mentality on full display here.

by Anonymousreply 178November 23, 2020 4:06 PM

Sheesh some of you Debbie Downers never heard of "wait to see". Doom and gloom.

Maybe Butty and Chasten will get a bonus go at Hunter's huge log!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179November 23, 2020 4:09 PM

SNL references are lame.

by Anonymousreply 180November 23, 2020 4:12 PM

Or r177, I am nothing because I stayed in my lane, so must you.

As far as Maddow goes, butch lesbians like getting into big dick contests with gay men. She thinks putting a gay man down like straight men do makes her more manly.

by Anonymousreply 181November 23, 2020 4:19 PM

It's lame to snark that things are lame.

by Anonymousreply 182November 23, 2020 4:19 PM

Maddow is not exactly a bull dyke or a butch. Close though.

by Anonymousreply 183November 23, 2020 4:20 PM

[quote]Pete Buttigieg should be president right now. He is one of the smartest men in the world and proof that gays are uniquely qualified to tell others what to do.

This kind of bizarre statement (is it a joke?) is why so many of us come down overly hard on Pete - his fanboys are wacko.

by Anonymousreply 184November 23, 2020 4:21 PM

National Security Counselor

by Anonymousreply 185November 23, 2020 4:23 PM

Breaking: Pete has been offered a job working in the White House kitchen.

At least he'll technically be working in the WH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186November 23, 2020 4:27 PM

Pete has nothing to do with the fangirl on here, R184. They've been posting over-the-top praise of Pete for months now, mostly to get a rise out of people. It's foolish to hate Buttigieg because of some silly DL troll.

by Anonymousreply 187November 23, 2020 4:31 PM

R187 There's no one else that's exciting in the Democratic Party. That's why.

by Anonymousreply 188November 23, 2020 4:34 PM

Pete made me a woman last night

by Anonymousreply 189November 23, 2020 4:35 PM

R184 is why we need hate speech laws in this country.

by Anonymousreply 190November 23, 2020 4:40 PM

Pete made me scream like a girl

by Anonymousreply 191November 23, 2020 4:42 PM

R189 is more proof that “gay” “men” are just inside-out heterosexual women who need medical intervention for their gender dysphoria so they can become normal heterosexual women. Hopefully the Biden Administration will start increasing the pressure on “gay” “men” to become women.

by Anonymousreply 192November 23, 2020 4:48 PM

Pete is a gay man and Biden is trying to cater to moderates. He was never getting a high profile job.

I'm sure we'll see Pete (and other old faves) again in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 193November 23, 2020 4:58 PM

R192 it was a joke, you humorless fat cunt.

by Anonymousreply 194November 23, 2020 5:02 PM

Pete is unlikely to get any role for which Senate confirmation is required.

But Biden will be supportive of placing him on any job or project that elevates his profile and positions him for office in the future.

by Anonymousreply 195November 23, 2020 5:03 PM

HAHAHAHAH

by Anonymousreply 196November 23, 2020 5:05 PM

How patronizing. Biden elevating Pete? Surely it was the other way round.

by Anonymousreply 197November 23, 2020 5:06 PM

Fugly Pete stans remain delusional about his accomplishments and capabilities.

by Anonymousreply 198November 23, 2020 5:06 PM

I will honestly admit to being a bit of Pete fanboy, but at the same time I am not blind to what his experience level is.

You thought he should be UN Ambassador

by Anonymousreply 199November 23, 2020 5:08 PM

Thank you for proving that "woke" is absolutely meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 200November 23, 2020 5:08 PM

I'll try that again with the quote tag this time:

[quote]I will honestly admit to being a bit of Pete fanboy, but at the same time I am not blind to what his experience level is.

You thought he should be UN Ambassador

by Anonymousreply 201November 23, 2020 5:09 PM

[Quote] You thought he should be UN Ambassador

R199 How did you know that about r177?

by Anonymousreply 202November 23, 2020 5:15 PM

Biden is already catering to the Cuban American voter with the Homeland Security Secretary pick.

by Anonymousreply 203November 23, 2020 5:23 PM

R202 his post history

by Anonymousreply 204November 23, 2020 5:24 PM

I like to think Democrats are smarter than Republicans, but after every election I'm reminded that just isn't the case. The current balance of the US Supreme Court and state legislatures across the country are the way they are, not because the US is fundamentally conservative, but because Republicans commit to playing the long game.

The Trump Administration is doing everything it can to make it difficult for Biden to roll back the shameful policies of the past 4 years, and complicate any efforts to advance a progressive agenda.

I'm sorry, but the only candidates who should be considered for Cabinet positions MUST be bureaucrats who are familiar with the agencies they've been tapped to lead. They need to be capable of rooting out every Trump appointee who can legally be fired, and prepare to halt any policy not protected by law. Pete is clearly a smart guy, but being a small town mayor is different than running a large federal agency.

Although some might see it as an affront, I think he should be considered for an ambassadorship (UK, China, or Germany), or perhaps a role as a senior advisor. Unfortunately, the stakes are too high in terms of a Cabinet position.

by Anonymousreply 205November 23, 2020 5:26 PM

You need someone much more serious as ambassador to the UK with Brexit going on, with China you need someone much tougher, Germany could work.

by Anonymousreply 206November 23, 2020 5:31 PM

I think Biden needs to give Buttigieg something. He blunted Bernies momentum in both Iowa and NH. If Bernie comes out of those states with clear cut big victories then Bernie starts to look like the democratic nominee. Instead he was looking weak heading into SC and Biden went in for the kill. Also Buttigieg getting out of the way before super tuesday allows Biden to win a couple states with him out.

by Anonymousreply 207November 23, 2020 5:31 PM

It is in God's hands.

by Anonymousreply 208November 23, 2020 5:32 PM

r204 oh I see I didnt know one get the post history of someone posting anonymously. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 209November 23, 2020 5:35 PM

r204 oh I see I didnt know one get the post history of someone posting anonymously. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 210November 23, 2020 5:35 PM

I think Pete should be the next pick for the Supreme Court. If you squint hard enough he looks like a black woman. Especially around the hips.

by Anonymousreply 211November 23, 2020 5:42 PM

[quote]This kind of bizarre statement (is it a joke?) is why so many of us come down overly hard on Pete - his fanboys are wacko.

Same with the Kamalastans and the Warrenistas and the Hillbots.

Smart, strong woman distorted on here by a sad need to over identify. They're all fan, but the needy on DL are a huge PR problem. (On DL, the rest of the world remains blissfully unaware of this foolishness.)

by Anonymousreply 212November 23, 2020 5:43 PM

The diva worship of straight liberal female politicians is embarrassing and bordering on homophobic when it comes at the expense of gay male ones who are always either oversexualized or treated as being inexperienced naifs.

by Anonymousreply 213November 23, 2020 5:45 PM

Biden is a run of the mill professional politician. That's why Obama chose him as VP. He will lean towards run of the mill professional washington insiders like himself.

Maybe that's what we need after the anni horribilis, though with a psychopath screaming around you that may not be enough.

Pete is not an insider but a star from outfield like Obama.

by Anonymousreply 214November 23, 2020 5:51 PM

[quote]or treated as being inexperienced naifs

Okay then, what experience does Pete have which is applicable to a role with the federal government? This should be worth a laugh. I do hope the "he's a Rhodesian scholar" poster joins in.

by Anonymousreply 215November 23, 2020 5:55 PM

Obama had a paper thin resume. He had no governance experience. He turned out ok.

by Anonymousreply 216November 23, 2020 5:57 PM

[quote]Same with the Kamalastans and the Warrenistas and the Hillbots.

Why the fuck do you cunts not worship me? I'm everything you dream of!

by Anonymousreply 217November 23, 2020 5:58 PM

Pete is such an effective communicator that he did better than the other seasoned politicians during the debates.

by Anonymousreply 218November 23, 2020 5:59 PM

You know both Mike Bloomberg and Al Gore have a hell of a lot more credibility on the Environment than John KErry. WTF is Joe doing? Paying back all his Old Pol buddies? I'm waiting for him to find some people I can feel enthusiastic about. John Kerry is not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 219November 23, 2020 6:00 PM

Sorry, threw too soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220November 23, 2020 6:00 PM

R219 So you would've felt enthusiastic over Bloomberg? Says it all really.

Kerry helped write the Paris agreement.

by Anonymousreply 221November 23, 2020 6:03 PM

DL fav Stacey Abrams can be HHS Secretary. Because I really like her.

by Anonymousreply 222November 23, 2020 6:07 PM

Whatever. Pete is a millionaire now.

by Anonymousreply 223November 23, 2020 6:09 PM

R222 She's going to be too busy as Governor of Georgia

by Anonymousreply 224November 23, 2020 6:09 PM

I love Stacey.

by Anonymousreply 225November 23, 2020 6:10 PM

I think Pete should run as a congressman. He'd have a good chance of getting in.

Remember Barney Frank? Openly gay, and had the resume to do a lot in Washington.

by Anonymousreply 226November 23, 2020 6:13 PM

r225 so ? Should we care ?

by Anonymousreply 227November 23, 2020 6:15 PM

R216

Well, Obama was a senator. With a law degree from Harvard. And had community organizing experience in the third largest city in the US.

Mayor Pete doesn't even have a law degree. I know it's old fashioned, but it really is better to be a lawyer if you want to make laws!

by Anonymousreply 228November 23, 2020 6:16 PM

Would pete be getting this much love if he were straight?

by Anonymousreply 229November 23, 2020 6:17 PM

[quote]Mayor Pete doesn't even have a law degree.

Then he should be Attorney General because he's going to be the next President!

by Anonymousreply 230November 23, 2020 6:20 PM

[quote]Biden's in office mainly because he wasn't Trump.

[quote]Bring it back down to Earth, sweetie.

That’s interesting because, last time I checked, Buttegieg also isn’t Trump. For that matter, neither is Bernie.

In fact I believe I can say without fear of contradiction that none of the democratic hopefuls was Trump, yet it was Biden who won the nomination, blowing all the other candidates out of the water in the primaries in fact.

There we are ... brought back to earth just as you requested!

by Anonymousreply 231November 23, 2020 6:20 PM

Biden should appoint Mayor Pete ... as president! He can do that, I mean, delegate, can’t he?

by Anonymousreply 232November 23, 2020 6:23 PM

The way you gays treat Buttigieg is disgusting. He is getting destroyed on all sides by people who are jealous of someone they consider to be a little gay upstart. Done with you all!

by Anonymousreply 233November 23, 2020 6:27 PM

If Pete's done with us all, can Stacey Abrams have his stuff? Because I think she'd make a great Surgeon General! She cuts right through the bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 234November 23, 2020 6:31 PM

How is Pete Buttigieg "getting destroyed on all sides?"

by Anonymousreply 235November 23, 2020 6:36 PM

[quote] I think Pete should run as a congressman. He'd have a good chance of getting in.

I would agree That seems a very logical stepping stone. But where? The 2nd district wherein South Bend is located is already taken, reelecting the incumbent rethug again by over 61%.

He might have to move a more liberal state and resort to some old-fashioned carpetbagging.

by Anonymousreply 236November 23, 2020 6:39 PM

[Quote] Obama was a senator. With a law degree from Harvard. And had community organizing experience in the third largest city in the US.

Dc wags say he stopped by the Senate to ask directions to the wh. I also have a bunch of friends who do community organizing in um a city larger than the third largest, shall we say. Went to Harvard too. Wow. No wonder W and Jared got to be POTUS and POTUS de facto. Giulianis a lawyer too.

But the point is not to put down Obama. He made a perfectly fine prez. So don't go out of the way to put Pete down unless it something personal.

by Anonymousreply 237November 23, 2020 6:39 PM

[quote]But the point is not to put down Obama.

Says the person who just put down Obama. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 238November 23, 2020 6:42 PM

No, not putting him down. Obama was much better president than W.

by Anonymousreply 239November 23, 2020 6:45 PM

[quote]How is Pete Buttigieg "getting destroyed on all sides?"

Well, truth be told, because you're not all agreeing with his Kamalasque perfection.

by Anonymousreply 240November 23, 2020 6:45 PM

Funny how the Pete fans can never detail any of the reasons why he should be appointed. They just insult and slur others, like R239 is doing.

by Anonymousreply 241November 23, 2020 6:47 PM

[quote]You thought he should be UN Ambassador

And I stand by that. He would have excellent at the job.

by Anonymousreply 242November 23, 2020 6:48 PM

Chasten Buttigieg: Yes. I have family here and Peter has fallen in love with Northern Michigan. We found a lake house. It will be our vacation spot.

Express: You were a big hit on the campaign trail with Pete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243November 23, 2020 6:49 PM

How is saying Obama made a fine president and was better than W a slur?

by Anonymousreply 244November 23, 2020 6:49 PM

How is saying Obama made a fine president and was better than W a slur?

by Anonymousreply 245November 23, 2020 6:49 PM

R242 Well given you said "I am not blind to what his experience level is" - why don't you tell us what experience you think he has which would make him excellent for the job of Ambassador to the UN?

by Anonymousreply 246November 23, 2020 6:50 PM

R245 Don't act innocent, anyone reading your post at R237 knows exactly what you were doing.

by Anonymousreply 247November 23, 2020 6:51 PM

John Kerry was just named Climate Czar.

by Anonymousreply 248November 23, 2020 6:54 PM

R247, you're trying to reason with someone who probably is hearing an endless loop of Endless Love in her heard.

by Anonymousreply 249November 23, 2020 6:55 PM

I don’t really care. Do u?

by Anonymousreply 250November 23, 2020 6:57 PM

I don’t think Pete would do well in Michigan if he ran for office, speaking as a Michigander. I want to be wrong but I don’t think he would do well here.

by Anonymousreply 251November 23, 2020 6:58 PM

I wish I could gush more r247 but I'm limited as a fangurl and I'm not religious even for a Nobel winner. Like the Dalai Lama for instance.

by Anonymousreply 252November 23, 2020 7:00 PM

Do you think the Pete and Chasten marriage will last?

Sometimes I wonder.

And I say that as someone dead certain they've never had a three way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253November 23, 2020 7:01 PM

R251, Pete and Chasten feel Michigan is beneath them.

by Anonymousreply 254November 23, 2020 7:01 PM

I agree. R252 is limited.

by Anonymousreply 255November 23, 2020 7:01 PM

I don’t know about that R254.

by Anonymousreply 256November 23, 2020 7:02 PM

[quote] Pete has nothing to do with the fangirl on here, [R184]. They've been posting over-the-top praise of Pete for months now, mostly to get a rise out of people.

I am the one who was doing that but I did not post that in this thread. It's either sincere or someone else mocking the crazy fangirls.

by Anonymousreply 257November 23, 2020 7:03 PM

Pete's so great we should make him the next Stacey Abrams!

by Anonymousreply 258November 23, 2020 7:04 PM

Pete has skeletons in his closet from his days of being a mayor. I know everyone has a crush on Pete, but he doesn't have much political experience. And he's an opportunist. He wants fame. Maybe they can kick Claire McKaskill off of MSNBC, and give it to Pete.

by Anonymousreply 259November 23, 2020 7:04 PM

I think options are limited for white gay male Democrats outside of Colorado maybe Iowa. Pete should consider Iowa—they loved him there and I say that as a Mayor Pete fan and supporter.

by Anonymousreply 260November 23, 2020 7:08 PM

[quote] How is Pete Buttigieg "getting destroyed on all sides?"

Because the right hates him for being gay and the Neoliberal corporatist scum who falsely labels themselves “progressives” hate him for not being gay enough.

by Anonymousreply 261November 23, 2020 7:14 PM

Give outsider Pete the same benefit of the doubt and support as a gay man as we gave outsider Obama as a black man. It's a good idea to support our kind, if you're not the self hating sort, that is.

by Anonymousreply 262November 23, 2020 7:14 PM

[quote]It's a good idea to support our kind

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 263November 23, 2020 7:16 PM

[Quote] Do you think the Pete and Chasten marriage will last?

Can you get me their horoscopes, with rising moons and uranus circles and I'll tell you. Do you have PayPal?

by Anonymousreply 264November 23, 2020 7:21 PM

By Northern Michigan does Chasten mean Yooperland? Only Marquette is sorta blue, and the whole peninsula is connected to a congressional district that went 62% red.

by Anonymousreply 265November 23, 2020 7:22 PM

Pete is one of the most talented politicians ever. He also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout his life. Despite that, he has a good heart, which is hard to encounter in politics . At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with his struggles and he theirs.

by Anonymousreply 266November 23, 2020 7:24 PM

[quote]Because the right hates him for being gay and the Neoliberal corporatist scum who falsely labels themselves “progressives” hate him for not being gay enough.

That's... not true, hon. Pete is disliked on the left for BEING a "Neoliberal corporatist scum" and being a fake progressive. Are the pages of your script mixed up, R261? Did you skip a training or something? You might want to check in with Oleg before posting anymore.

by Anonymousreply 267November 23, 2020 7:28 PM

R261 What ? You make no sense. Pete has been in national spotlight hardly for 18 months now.

by Anonymousreply 268November 23, 2020 7:36 PM

sorry i meant r266 ^^^^

[QUOTE]Pete is one of the most talented politicians ever. He also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout his life. Despite that, he has a good heart, which is hard to encounter in politics . At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with his struggles and he theirs.

by Anonymousreply 269November 23, 2020 7:37 PM

[Quote] Pete has been in national spotlight hardly for 18 months now.

Amazing isn't it what this guy has done, out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 270November 23, 2020 7:39 PM

United States Ambassador to the Court of St. James’s sounds classy. That could be nice.

He'd get to live in London, meet the Queen, be in the thick of things when the Bidens come over, and probably assist in working on the post-Brexit US-UK trade deal. Lots of fancy parties and contacts to be made.

by Anonymousreply 271November 23, 2020 7:40 PM

R267 reveals his xenophobic bigotry with that “Oleg” crack.

by Anonymousreply 272November 23, 2020 7:42 PM

R271Yaaassss Mary! That's what I've been telling him too. But does he listen?!

by Anonymousreply 273November 23, 2020 7:42 PM

Obama was hardly an outsider-- he was a US senator and had experience as a community organizer.

by Anonymousreply 274November 23, 2020 7:45 PM

[quote]He will lean towards run of the mill professional washington insiders like himself.

And they almost always do a far better job at running things in Washington than people brought in from the private sector. Trump filled his cabinet with business people who had little government experience and they were completely inept. DC is a completely different animal than the private sector and they require different skill sets.

by Anonymousreply 275November 23, 2020 7:58 PM

R275 Their ineptness was the point. They were brought in to destroy their departments so then Republicans can shrug and say "gee the public sector is so bad at this stuff, we need to privatize"

by Anonymousreply 276November 23, 2020 8:03 PM

They were imported from the private sector so that they would no loyalty to anyone but Trump.

Of course, they had no knowledge of their job, but Trump didn't care about that. Only about loyalty. To him.

by Anonymousreply 277November 23, 2020 8:06 PM

R271 Ambassador to the UK also comes with Winfield House.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278November 23, 2020 8:16 PM

R262, Pete certainly triggers the trolls. There is something incredibly upsetting about an out gay politician that angers them. Hmmm, I wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 279November 23, 2020 8:23 PM

R271... yet another example of clueless wishful thinking with no tether to reality. He'll probably get something... it won't be top tier. Especially if you look at who Biden has announced today... he doesn't seem to be rewarding anybody... he's just going with proven track records. While Pete has many strengths, track record isn't among them on a comparable basis to anyone with a substantial track record.

He'll get something, if he wants it, but I would be money now it will disappoint DL.

I also think it's interesting he and C have bought a vacation property in Michigan. That's not something you do if you know you're going overseas.

by Anonymousreply 280November 23, 2020 8:46 PM

R259 Pete was a very popular mayor. Bernouts slandered him

by Anonymousreply 281November 23, 2020 9:01 PM

R280 Looking at the current and some of the past holders of that position, I don't think it would be that unrealistic. Woody Johnson, who holds the position now, had no diplomatic experience. He owns a sports team (NY Jets) that he bought with his millions from being an heir to Johnson & Johnson. He was simply a Republican campaign donor-fundraiser. Obama had two. One was a retired banker and democratic fundraiser.. And the other was a democratic fundraiser who'd worked at CNET. He'd been the Ambassador to Sweden for a bit for Obama before being moved to the UK. I'd say this has more to do with reward than "track record."

by Anonymousreply 282November 23, 2020 9:23 PM

Pete will get a role like Ambassador to Canada or Ambassador to Mexico OR he'll have some kind of random advisor role to Biden, hang around in DC for a couple years and prepare for a senate run in some midwestern swing state

by Anonymousreply 283November 23, 2020 9:27 PM

Will Joe find a position for Hunter?

by Anonymousreply 284November 23, 2020 9:29 PM

[quote] I also think it's interesting he and C have bought a vacation property in Michigan. That's not something you do if you know you're going overseas.

They can always put it on Airbnb. .. Just think how many of Pete's fans would love to sleep in the his bed..

by Anonymousreply 285November 23, 2020 9:32 PM

R282 Except you're forgetting that none of the Obama appointees were in place when Britain was seeking to do a trade deal with the US. It's no longer the easy ambassadorship it once was.

by Anonymousreply 286November 23, 2020 9:34 PM

R286 No, I'm not forgetting that not at all, as I mentioned that in the original suggestion at R271. Plus, Pete was already in England when he was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford and studied economics at Pembroke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287November 23, 2020 9:43 PM

R282 Also misses the obvious because he’s too busy fantasizing over to Dear Pete. The keyword in all examples is donor. That’s who gets the UK.

by Anonymousreply 288November 23, 2020 9:53 PM

If having been to England qualifies you for ambassador, they’ll be a fair amount of competition.

by Anonymousreply 289November 23, 2020 9:53 PM

R287 So what experience does Pete have when it comes to negotiating a trade deal?

by Anonymousreply 290November 23, 2020 10:04 PM

R288 Then I guess R286's opinion that it's no longer an easy ambassadorship with it now needing someone with a track record related to trade can also be thrown out.

by Anonymousreply 291November 23, 2020 10:05 PM

[quote] The diva worship of straight liberal female politicians is embarrassing and bordering on homophobic when it comes at the expense of gay male ones who are always either oversexualized or treated as being inexperienced naifs.

The cardinal rule of Datalounge is misogyny, and its guiding principle is the eager embrace of white male privilege. Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren and Hillary Clinton are women who have no less than 20 years more experience than Pete. They have served as U.S. Senators, Attorney General and/or Secretary of State (and soon Vice President). Mentioning Pete as a contender alongside any of these women is an affront. Intellect is not a substitute for experience.

Pete is just 38. He is very intelligent and capable, and certainly has the potential to be great. He will make a huge step toward realizing that potential when he wins a significant elected office. It will be the difference between Pete being a Barack Obama...or merely a Julian Castro.

by Anonymousreply 292November 23, 2020 10:07 PM

It’s my diva worship. It’s my misogyny. It’s my diva worship. It’s my misogyny. It’s my diva worship. It’s my misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 293November 23, 2020 10:11 PM

R291 The idea of different people having different opinions is a challenging one for you?

by Anonymousreply 294November 23, 2020 10:14 PM

Ambassadors don’t negotiate trade deals. Trade deals are negotiated by the administration with administration staff based out of DC.

by Anonymousreply 295November 23, 2020 10:17 PM

R295 You're beyond naive if you really don't think that the countries negotiating a trade deal doesn't change the role of the ambassador

by Anonymousreply 296November 23, 2020 10:20 PM

And you’re a fool if you think they’re integral to negotiating and writing a trade deal.

« The Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR) is an agency of more than 200 committed professionals with decades of specialized experience in trade issues and regions of the world. [bold]We negotiate directly with foreign governments to create trade agreements[/bold], to resolve disputes, and to participate in global trade policy organizations. We also meet with governments, with business groups, with legislators and with public interest groups to gather input on trade issues and to discuss the President's trade policy positions. »

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297November 23, 2020 10:29 PM

I never said integral, I asked what experience he has of trade deals, given that's going to be the overwhelmingly most important element of the US-UK relationship for the coming years, which has not been the case for past ambassadors.

by Anonymousreply 298November 23, 2020 10:32 PM

The one who's "owed" something by Biden is Stacey Abrams. She flipped Georgia blue for Biden. Did Pete flip Indiana?

by Anonymousreply 299November 23, 2020 10:34 PM

R298, I think we’re tangled up here. I didn’t mean to imply I thought Pete had trade experience or credible experience to handle a major portfolio like ambassador to the UK. We may be both arguing against the same fan girl but neither of us is her.

by Anonymousreply 300November 23, 2020 10:35 PM

R299 He gave a couple of clever comebacks on Fox News and he served in the military, which apparently means he's got enough experience for any job in the gift of the president if you listen to the fangirls on here.

by Anonymousreply 301November 23, 2020 10:38 PM

r169 can the DNC and DNCC please scour the country for our own McConnell or LBJ to become a Senate Majority Leader. That statement is disgusting but also badass when you take into context of the mountains that McConnell has moved in DC. We need to find an LBJ for Democrats to whip these pussies into check and pull the peace sign off the door of the Democrat's Senate Caucus room.

by Anonymousreply 302November 23, 2020 10:54 PM

r262 Obama didn't run out of money or resources after Obama. You're acting like he was handed the White House when in fact he had a long battle with Hillary for the spot, then a smoother battle against McCain. Then Obama did what needed to be done to defeat Romney, really pissing off the Republicans and racists.

And Obama passed the first major healthcare bill since the 60s.

Can we maintain some respect for the journey Obama had to take to get to where he is today. It wasn't handed to him for being black, it was a fight every day. So sick of all these comparisons between gays, black people, lesbians, women, other minorities. white people, and on and on. Everyone is different so they will have different pathways.

Pete wasn't bold enough to chat his own course outside of Indiana, despite his desire to enter into politics. Perhaps Obama's '08 win coupled with a spotted history of electing centrists Republicans (like Richard Lugar) gave Pete a false sense of hope of being the guy ready to win in IN. It was a massive miscalculation. He should have chosen another state to settle down into.

If he doesn't get a sweet gig (I think he will get something) then it's not Biden's fault, it's Pete. The gift that was the post SC come to Jesus moment for the other candidates had more to do with Trump and Bernie as threats than Biden. Pete wanted what we all want, a stable leader that could defeat Bernie and Trump. Biden was the only person that could do both this year.

by Anonymousreply 303November 23, 2020 11:11 PM

I meant Obama didn't run out of money or resources after Iowa.

by Anonymousreply 304November 23, 2020 11:11 PM

r266 Pete went through the same pain and struggle as the rest of us gay people on this board. His story wasn't even tragic. He had a sharp mind and spent years with his head in his books, he has a family that loves him, he fond great employment, he's white (that matters in the gay community/America) and he's a married millionaire.

I know his journey wasn't easy, but give me a fucking break, you're acting like he suffered through a war torn country or famine or was kick out of his house at 17 for liking dick. I could say his story is sad, but a gay man with money, family, a loving husband, and power in a safe first world country does is not what a tragedy is made of.

by Anonymousreply 305November 23, 2020 11:16 PM

I'm not sure Pete Buttigieg is "owed" anything, but it is debatable whether or not Biden would have won the primaries had Buttigieg not withdrawn before Super Tuesday. I can't speak for others, but I would have voted for Buttigieg instead of Biden on Super Tuesday, had that been an option. (I mean, let's face it, there's a reason Bernie Sanders' supporters hate him with a passion -- sometimes in ways that do, in fact, verge on homophobic.)

Now, do I think Buttigieg's Super Tuesday gesture is worth a cabinet position? I don't know. At this point, it doesn't matter much. Buttigieg has his name out there, which is probably the most important thing. Should he decide to run in 2024, he stands a good chance of becoming the Democratic nominee, even with Kamala Harris in the running. (Indeed, Kamala Harris' run this past election did not inspire much confidence, although she'll have the weight of the vice presidency behind her in 2024.)

If Buttigieg were to get a cabinet position, would I be concerned about his lack of national-level experience? I think, superficially, yes. But then I know that the vast majority of the scientific literature suggests that intelligence out-predicts years of experience in measures of job performance, and this correlation increases as the intellectual demands of the job increase. (See Schmidt and Hunter, 2004.) And when speaking of intelligence here, I'm not using the wishy-washy, "He speaks so many languages and is a Rhodes Scholar!" kind. I mean, we know for a fact that he was a National Merit Finalist. This means that he scored within the 99th percentile on the PSAT, a test highly correlated with general mental ability.

All that being said, it's obviously preferable for people to have BOTH experience and intelligence, which I'm sure many of Biden's picks have. All in all, I'm really not concerned at all. I'm just happy Trump has gotten the boot.

by Anonymousreply 306November 23, 2020 11:18 PM

He's been the mayor of a small to medium sized city. Not much of a qualification for national policy. His memoir is notable for its emptiness--no depth, nice words for the likes of Mitch Daniels, a lot of generality. he isn't exactly king of the gays either. I'd offer him something where he might learn something--undersecretary of something or middling ambassadorship. I can't imagine anything more for him. He should run for Congress or for statewide office in Hoosierland if he really wants to be a national figure.

by Anonymousreply 307November 23, 2020 11:41 PM

[quote]I'm not sure Pete Buttigieg is "owed" anything, but it is debatable whether or not Biden would have won the primaries had Buttigieg not withdrawn before Super Tuesday.

If by that point it was down to Buttigieg and Biden then I would have gone for Pete.

He wasn't my first choice or second but he was my third. Biden was pretty darn far back behind him.

He may not have been progressive but he was far more so than Biden.

But still, something, had to go down for him and Amy to withdraw at the same time and for Beto and Harris to, within a span of two days throw all their support behind Biden. Something was decided. At least Pete got to keep his face out there speaking on behalf of Biden and the Democrats and Warren got to have his ear getting her progressive college student loan relief and elimination plans considered and at least partially accepted.

It's possible he did it for the good of the party but who knows?

by Anonymousreply 308November 23, 2020 11:51 PM

He's not experienced enough is just code excuse for Boomers to hold onto power indefinitely, never giving anybody else a chance to learn and grow

by Anonymousreply 309November 23, 2020 11:55 PM

If Pete forgoes Washington in order to build election credibility above mayorship, we’ve heard a couple of arguments for Michigan. Is there anywhere else? Could he ever conceivably win rep, senate or governor in Indiana?

by Anonymousreply 310November 23, 2020 11:57 PM

When did Pete become a millionaire?

by Anonymousreply 311November 24, 2020 12:01 AM

He would never win in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 312November 24, 2020 12:06 AM

Ambassador to France would be nice for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 313November 24, 2020 12:09 AM

[quote] some examples of the things Biden has done to cater to the "woke"

How about promising to appoint “a woman of color” to the Supreme Court, for startere?

He owes Jim Clyburn and all the black votes he delivered big, and they’re gonna collect their dues from Joe.

by Anonymousreply 314November 24, 2020 12:16 AM

Biden was losing ground in the primary runoffs until quote the blacks unquote in South Carolina stood in 5 hour lines to vote for him.

Loyal to a fault.

by Anonymousreply 315November 24, 2020 12:19 AM

Buttplug was winning but the blacks refused to vote for him

by Anonymousreply 316November 24, 2020 12:24 AM

[quote]Biden was the only person that could do both this year.

That's a load of crap. Many of the democratic frontrunners were polling ahead of Trump. People really need to stop peddling fiction when it comes to this election or passing sensational media generated stories off as fact. The media pushed Biden hard, as did a section of moderates who were unwilling from the get go to explore other candidates. The people were not so enamored of Biden, however.

This is the fact: Biden's campaign was struggling badly by the time of South Carolina. He needed the win or it was a wrap for him and he was going to be out. Pete and Amy dropped out to throw their weight behind Biden because they knew Sanders who was gaining traction was not going to cut it in the general. Pete wasn't in a position where he had to do it, but he did do it as a favor to Biden. Things only started to turn around for Biden after he won South Carolina, and the choice came down to him or Sanders.

This "Mighty Joe Biden" mantra is a load of hot air. If he were that "mighty", we wouldn't have lost seats in the house and be struggling to regain control of the Senate. Honestly, he should thank Pete profusely for saving his ass just as much as he is thanking black women who voted for him in South Carolina. He owes Pete and even Amy that much.

by Anonymousreply 317November 24, 2020 12:27 AM

Or or you could look at it from the perspective that mighty moderate Joe Biden got us as far as it got us. So then try to imagine Georgia or Arizona or Pennsylvania clamouring for Elizabeth Warren, or Bernie Sanders, or even Pete.

Your post reeks of exactly the Democrats’ biggest problem: that notion that people are just too dumb to think the way you expect them to. Arrogance elected one president: Trump.

by Anonymousreply 318November 24, 2020 12:33 AM

Buttigieg distanced himself from his neo-Marxist father, among other things. Ambitious and a bit vapid. Not really owed much and wasn't goling anywhere. I wanted to see a real progressive win like Elizabeth Warren.

by Anonymousreply 319November 24, 2020 12:34 AM

[quote]Buttplug was winning but the blacks refused to vote for him

Because there was a coordinated effort, pushed by the progressive wing of the party and the media, to discredit Pete in black communities. These were the same groups that pushed Joe Biden as too old and too out of touch. Luckily for us, Joe managed to rise above it with a little help from some friends... but they almost got him.

by Anonymousreply 320November 24, 2020 12:37 AM

R320, Um it wanst pushed just by the progressive wings of the party, the mass media pushed it too. That narrative defined his campaign and he was asked about it in every interview no matter who was doing the asking.

by Anonymousreply 321November 24, 2020 12:43 AM

But he did poll crap with blacks. Why wouldn’t you ask?

by Anonymousreply 322November 24, 2020 12:44 AM

R322, Everyone not named Biden polled poorly with blacks. Did you see anyone asing the media's queen Elizabeth Warren that question?

by Anonymousreply 323November 24, 2020 12:47 AM

[quote] there was a coordinated effort, pushed by the progressive wing of the party and the media, to discredit Pete in black communities.

No, he is a clueless middle-class white guy who doesn’t connect with black people. There was no “coordinated effort to discredit him in black communities,” he did that all by himself.

by Anonymousreply 324November 24, 2020 12:51 AM

[quote]Many of the democratic frontrunners were polling ahead of Trump

Because the polls were just so accurate this year.

by Anonymousreply 325November 24, 2020 12:55 AM

Pete will be made Ambassador to South Sudan

by Anonymousreply 326November 24, 2020 1:03 AM

Pete would make a good "czar" of criminal justice reform. He actually has some good ideas for lifting up the black community, but he has an air of pretentiousness that's off putting.

He's a small town mayor who is completely unqualified for a major cabinet position. He's quick witted on live TV, but so is Kellyanne Conway. Meh, he's got to kick his humility up a few notches.

by Anonymousreply 327November 24, 2020 1:42 AM

Blacks are always swayed by narrative pushers because they are too stupid to evaluate candidates for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 328November 24, 2020 1:47 AM

[quote] That's a load of crap. Many of the democratic frontrunners were polling ahead of Trump. People really need to stop peddling fiction when it comes to this election or passing sensational media generated stories off as fact.

Sadly, Trump would have beat the pants off any other Dem candidate. He got 74 million votes. 5 million more than Obama (!)

The women were non-starters. Bernie would have terrified moderates. America is clearly not ready for a gay president. Biden was the man for the moment. History will show that he was uniquely qualified to assemble the anti-Trump coalition that saved the world.

by Anonymousreply 329November 24, 2020 1:57 AM

I am going to take to the streets and riot if Joe doesnt give Pete at least Secretary of State. I didnt vote for Joe both in the primary and in the GE to let him treat Pete this way. We are in millions, Joe and we won’t stay silent.

by Anonymousreply 330November 24, 2020 2:21 AM

I will cry if Pete doesn't get a double posting to London and Paris. If there is anyone who can bring the world together, it's Pete. I pray that Biden realizes this before it's too late.

by Anonymousreply 331November 24, 2020 2:22 AM

I can’t imagine the mayor of south bend doing anything quite honestly. Maybe he can run for mayor of Chicago after Lori Lesbofoot?

by Anonymousreply 332November 24, 2020 2:58 AM

Let's not rock the boat, we've made huge gains since the 90's. We should rejoice we got Pete! Now, let's plan and let 2052 really be our year!

by Anonymousreply 333November 24, 2020 3:05 AM

[quote] can’t imagine the mayor of south bend doing anything

[quote] He's a small town mayor

I see so many dismissive and demeaning comments like this. He's 38-years-old, which is juvenile in American politics, and being a mayor of any town is impressive at that age. Everybody needs to start somewhere. I don't know what the fuck you stupid-ass cunts expect of a 38-year-old in American politics, and I suspect you don't even know either.

by Anonymousreply 334November 24, 2020 3:15 AM

R334– The last two Democrats who served two terms as President were in their mid-40’s when elected

by Anonymousreply 335November 24, 2020 3:20 AM

I’m so delighted that Biden unseated the worst president of my lifetime. But I’m so disheartened that in only four years this country will elevate some nihilist like Ted Cruz or some idiot like Marco Rubio to the presidency. It’s inevitable they’ll take back the White House in 2024: Biden will be like 140 years old, and Kamala will have upwards of twenty “Benghazi’s” to have to explain. I can’t endure anything again as horrible, stressful, and consuming as the last four years have been.

by Anonymousreply 336November 24, 2020 3:39 AM

R335, and what exactly is the criticism about Pete? Because on one hand it seems that people take umbrage that he's young, inexperienced, and how dare he run for office or be in contention for cabinet positions, and then on other hand, it oscillates wildly to 'oh, what has he done except be mayor of some small town?' The criticism of him is so schizophrenic as to not make any sense at all.

by Anonymousreply 337November 24, 2020 3:41 AM

[quote] He came out when it was safe and strategically convenient for him to do so.

R47, re-reading your post -- your intolerance level, purity testing, and unrealistic expectations about other people's personal & professional coming out experiences is frankly really fucking offensive.

by Anonymousreply 338November 24, 2020 3:48 AM

If Pete truly cared about the country he’d use his newfound celebrity and fundraising power and go back to Indiana and try to flip it blue. The ego on this just is just mesmerizing, from his presidential run to now thinking he should have been the Secretary of State. Lmao!!!

by Anonymousreply 339November 24, 2020 3:50 AM

R337 How is that criticism schizophrenic or oscillating? It's absolutely consistent. Both aspects you cited are based on his lack of experience.

by Anonymousreply 340November 24, 2020 3:52 AM

If Pete could maintain the momentum behind an economic-focused Democrat realignment for the rust belt in 2022, that would be a magnificent achievement and might give him renewed election credibility for 2024+. Focus on Indiana to Ohio, while working with fellow Great Lakes dems to retain MI, WI and PA.

It’s much more difficult and messy than an ambassadorship tho.

by Anonymousreply 341November 24, 2020 4:01 AM

Other minority groups rally around and support each other, but not the gays. Crab mentality, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 342November 24, 2020 4:09 AM

Thank you r324. Why can't people just accept that people will like who the like and dislike whomever they dislike. Sure people shouldn't have voted for Trump unless they are upper class, but they like him. Sure, Pete's policies weren't anti-black and could have helped black Americans, similar to Biden's, but they didn't know or like him.

We need to stop with the ida that people are owed certain support from voters. Biden had to work very hard to back track on his B Breakfast Club gaff about not being black if a black person votes for Trump. He and his team knew he fucked up and did what they needed to make sure it didn't damage his campaign.

If Pete wants a shot at national politics again, then he needs to start getting on the ground to build relationships in black and brown communities. This election cycle has once again proven how vital the black vote is for Democrats. Despite the very racist rhetoric from some Bernie Bros and Pete fans during the Primary after SC hurt their feelings.

by Anonymousreply 343November 24, 2020 4:14 AM

r327 that's because his experiences are all read in textbooks or articles rather than on the ground training. The last two Democratic Presidents and now Biden, all started their careers in a service oriented position to help people. Clinton, Obama, Biden were all on the ground lawyers or a community organizer. They keep taking from the wealth of experience to mold their political narrative. They have people, places, faces, and names of relevant work for the people. A small town mayor should have similar stories, but either SB is too boring or Pete was too busy, but there lacked that narrative about the people he's helped at home. Most things were rather technocratic, like home values increased because we removed trashy homes or cleaned up vacant lots. It's too top down. He should be like Beto and Stacy, rolling up his sleeve, taking some humble pie, and getting down in the trenches with people.

He wont, so I assume he will be moving to DC or another country. Possibly accepting his fait as a future SoS in under 20 years or maybe a VP slot. I assume Pete stays in America since he and Chasten wanted to have kids.

by Anonymousreply 344November 24, 2020 4:20 AM

[quote] Other minority groups rally around and support each other, but not the gays. Crab mentality, indeed.

Except a shit ton of the Twitter Twats criticizing Pete aren't even gay at all themselves. They're young not-even-gay millennials and Gen Z who grew up in a post-Will&Grace, post-Queer Eye world who somehow feel like they're entitled to judge other people's sexuality and level of outness based on some made-up quota of Twitter memes. Who the hell exactly died and anointed them arbitrator of whether or not somebody is sufficiently gay enough for their tastes?

by Anonymousreply 345November 24, 2020 4:21 AM

r345 Yeah, he has to take on a lot of shit, and we thank him for that, but he also had a lot of doors open up because he is a white man. Every argument about Pete will lead to 100 different reactions, even within the gay community, because we've experienced this "minority status" unequally compared to other minority groups that have a more consistent experience. We are not in the same boat within the gay community. I'm a black gay man. Should I be appalled that a black woman with decades of experience was given a job, she seems to deserve at the UN, over a two term mayor from South Bend just because we both like dick?

When people see me, do they see a gay man or a black man first? Whether I'm inside a a gay bar or shopping at Trader Joe's, people will still see a black man first and react accordingly. My race feels more like my minority group. My sexuality and fellowship with other gays feels like my social or friend's group. My loyalty is to both, but one is something I can never hid or run away from and must accept the consequences of bias, which can be felt from the same gays (not you all specifically) that will treat me like an other because I don't look like a white Sean Cody model from Wisconsin or something.

by Anonymousreply 346November 24, 2020 4:38 AM

R292 Pete is unlucky in that he's from Indiana, not California. Winning any kind of higher office there is impossible so his road will be more complicated. We need to allow for different kinds of routes to the presidency when a candidate is from a red state

by Anonymousreply 347November 24, 2020 4:43 AM

[quote]Everyone not named Biden polled poorly with blacks. Did you see anyone asing the media's queen Elizabeth Warren that question?

That's not correct.

Biden held on to the black vote from the start, that's true. Sanders was behind him and then Warren. The only reason Sanders and Warren had as much as they did was an influx of young black progressives in the North.

Harris, Klobuchar and Buttigieg were damn near zero with black support. Booker could barely get it. Everyone else wasn't worth mentioning.

Coincidentally the LGBT vote went to Sanders first (39%), then Warren (21%), Biden (19%) and Bloomberg (8%) and finally Pete at 9%.

Also I think it's important to remember that during the Primary the choices were Democrat vs Democrat or accurately Left vs Center. The General would have been the Candidate vs Orange Cheeto which is a whole different ball game. Plenty of Democrats who didn't want Biden as President still cast a vote for him. It's not as clear cut during the Primary where there are multiple options. (At least at first. One of the worst parts of our system is by the time it gets to certain states you may never get to vote for the candidate you wanted.)

by Anonymousreply 348November 24, 2020 4:54 AM

I was not a big Kamala fan during the primary. I've warmed up to her and am genuinely happy for her and her history making election. But I really do hope that the party is not under some illusion that Kamala is some big draw among black democrats. Because I don't think she is. I think Joe was more popular with black people than Kamala. I would love to be proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 349November 24, 2020 5:01 AM

Could he not beat Walorski for Indiana 2? Seems like Pete should be able to assemble a sizable war chest at this point in his career.

by Anonymousreply 350November 24, 2020 5:03 AM

[quote] The last two Democratic Presidents and now Biden, all started their careers in a service oriented position to help people.

Meanwhile Pete mocked those people trying to help ordinary working people as SJWs and decided not to get involved.

by Anonymousreply 351November 24, 2020 5:30 AM

[QUOTE] Should I be appalled that a black woman with decades of experience was given a job, she seems to deserve at the UN, over a two term mayor from South Bend just because we both like dick?

Oh give me a fucking break. A black woman was chosen as VP, multiple black women are in contention for several cabinet posts and when we ask one cabinet role which is not even super important for one of the LGBT politicians, suddenly qualifications matter ? What makes Kamala Harris, a senator for merely 4 years more qualifying than some one like Klobuchar or Chris Coons or Tammy Duckworth ? LGBT population is more than that of black women. And LGBT overwhelmingly vote for democrats and it's not fair that we ask for at least one CABINET role when black women have multiple ?

by Anonymousreply 352November 24, 2020 5:40 AM

Gay men tend to make themselves small and focus on pleasing others.

Women and black women get what they want be demanding it.

Can you imagine if gay men had simply demanded that the VP be a gay man or else?

by Anonymousreply 353November 24, 2020 5:53 AM

[QUOTE] When people see me, do they see a gay man or a black man first? Whether I'm inside a a gay bar or shopping at Trader Joe's, people will still see a black man first and react accordingly. My race feels more like my minority group. My sexuality and fellowship with other gays feels like my social or friend's group.

I really don't like comparing struggles of two minorities but, since you started - do parents of black children kick their kids out of their house because they happened to be black ? Do they send them to conversion therapies and torture them psychologically and physically from a young age ?

by Anonymousreply 354November 24, 2020 5:53 AM

[quote]Women and black women

🤔

by Anonymousreply 355November 24, 2020 5:56 AM

[quote]Biden was losing ground in the primary runoffs until quote the blacks unquote in South Carolina stood in 5 hour lines to vote for him.

His comeback was in Nevada where he finished second to Bernie. He made that whole speech about coming back and it set him well for SC.

by Anonymousreply 356November 24, 2020 5:57 AM

Is Chasten's book selling?

by Anonymousreply 357November 24, 2020 6:14 AM

R352 First of all, you don't speak for the gay community, and thank fuck for that given you're clearly a racist. So less of that "we" shit. And yes, qualifications matter, this isn't the Republican party - where I'm sure you'd feel much more at home.

by Anonymousreply 358November 24, 2020 6:16 AM

r258 No one can speak for black people or gay people. Not you or Kamala.

What qualifications did Obama have over Hillary that he became president ?

by Anonymousreply 359November 24, 2020 6:22 AM

R351

Yes, and one of the big reasons that datalounge's demographic finds Buttigieg so *inspiring* is precisely because he says shit like that.

In his memoir, he derisively referred to student protestors demanding a living wage for Harvard janitors and food workers as "social justice warriors".

He says shit like "All Lives Matter" and is constantly putting his foot in his mouth accidentally delivering rightwing talking points when he improvises.

He is republican-adjacent and probably would be a republican if he were heterosexual. Just like many of the men on datalounge. They don't care that he represents the interests of affluent white people (e.g. himself and his allies). They like that. He resembles them and points at democrats who actually demand fundamental, sweeping profound social change and effectively says over-and-over in essence, "Don't worry, folks! I'm not like THEM. I'm *reasonable* and want the country to be NORMAL. Also, don't forget, I love, Love, LOVE Jesus!"

Just like so many DL-ers and gay men in general go to great lengths to project a self-image to the world with the underlying message, "Don't worry, straights. Accept me! I'm gay, but I'm NORMAL and I don't want to upset any applecarts. I'm not like one of those SJWS or weirdo vegans or aetheists! Look how clean-cut and middle class and white, I am! The only change I want is for *ME* to be included in your mainstream-club!"

He's the perfect datalounge candidate, really.

by Anonymousreply 360November 24, 2020 6:29 AM

[quote] Using "woke" (the adjective formerly known as "socially conscious") as a derogatory term is a rightwing thing

It really isn't. Real socialists do it all the time. Orthodox marxists loathe identity politics and the woke crowd, they even engage in the use of SJW to belittle them.

by Anonymousreply 361November 24, 2020 6:34 AM

I find it so funny that woke morons find Pete right wing but not Biden or Obama. The only true left winger in the democratic party was Bernie Sanders, all the others are center right anywhere in the world, so I do think this has some homophobia attached to it.

by Anonymousreply 362November 24, 2020 6:36 AM

Patience. Pete is a long game.

by Anonymousreply 363November 24, 2020 6:39 AM

R361

Orthodox marxists? Orthodox marxists are more rare than 12-leaf clovers.

They aren't "real socialists". They barely exist.

Orthodox marxism is inextricably, fundamentally grounded in analysis of industrial capitalism. It can't be overlaid on contemporary global capitalism without being tied in theoretical knots. I may have encountered one (and that's debatable) in my life.

R362

If you're referring to me, I do find Biden conservative and I definitely have some criticisms of Obama. But of course, I voted for Biden in the general election and would have held my nose and voted for Buttigieg had he been the candidate for the general election.

When you use the term 'woke' derisively, you're looking down your nose at a term that black americans coined to celebrate a social consciousness aimed at creating a just, fair, and equal society. You're being reactionary and rightwing.

by Anonymousreply 364November 24, 2020 6:46 AM

Pete isn't any more right wing than Kamala Harris. It's ridiculous what he has to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 365November 24, 2020 6:48 AM

[quote]What qualifications did Obama have over Hillary that he became president ?

You do understand the difference between elected and appointed, right?

[quote]I find it so funny that woke morons find Pete right wing but not Biden or Obama

They do find both Biden and Obama right wing.

by Anonymousreply 366November 24, 2020 7:01 AM

Someone needs to get out of their bubble, orthodox marxists and true socialists are everywhere, most multi party countries with real democracies have them in politics, hence why I claim anywhere in the world Democrats are considered the center-right wingers they truly are, minus Sanders and AOC and other socialists currently at the house of representatives.

by Anonymousreply 367November 24, 2020 7:09 AM

Sanders and AOC are not socialists.

by Anonymousreply 368November 24, 2020 7:12 AM

They're both social democrats, thus they're socialists, maybe you should take a class on political philosophy, I'd bet good money you can't even tell communism from socialism, let alone all the political spectrum on the left.

by Anonymousreply 369November 24, 2020 7:14 AM

r366

[QUOTE] You do understand the difference between elected and appointed, right?

Huh ? So what qualifications did Kamala Harris have over Klobuchar, Warren or Tammy Duckworth to be deserving of VP ?

by Anonymousreply 370November 24, 2020 7:15 AM

R369 Only rabid right wingers think social democracy is the same as socialism.

R370 Biden clearly thought she'd win more votes than the others. If you took just a moment before you hit post, you'd be able to work this stuff out yourself and you'd avoid looking so simple.

by Anonymousreply 371November 24, 2020 7:18 AM

R365 Pete is a white guy who speaks in a measured way so clearly he is a far right wing republican according to the BernOuts. Unless someone is a socialist and gesticulating wildly about pie in the sky plans, they're clearly a corporate shill and just as bad as Trump

by Anonymousreply 372November 24, 2020 7:23 AM

Datalounge people of color and of other ethnic origin usually despise young white success men. Even gay ones.

Under no circumstances should they have any prospects and if they do achieve, it's all undeserved.

I can smell the envy in some of these posts. It reeks.

by Anonymousreply 373November 24, 2020 7:34 AM

R372

You're intentionally exaggerating and misrepresenting the statements of others in order to make yourself seem more reasonable. Not a single person in this thread portrayed Buttigieg as a "far right wing republican".

You're trying to paint progressives as irrationally devoted to one particular progressive politician in order to make progressives seem like unthinking fanatics. Cheap rhetorical tactics.

You know very well that progressives as a whole do not see centrist democrats as being "just as bad as Trump". Progressive democrats are part of the democratic party. We donate to, volunteer for, support, and vote for moderate democrats when they are the candidates in general elections despite our preference for more progressive candidates.

by Anonymousreply 374November 24, 2020 7:36 AM

R373

Yeah, it couldn't be possibly be that these people of color simply prefer candidates who better represent the policy interests of marginalized communities.

They're just unthinking, rage-fueled, and simple-minded. Right?

/sarcasm

by Anonymousreply 375November 24, 2020 7:41 AM

[quote] Only rabid right wingers think social democracy is the same as socialism.

Are you for real? Do you even know the history of Social Democracy and why it came about? You're truly ignorant and have no understanding of basic political theory.

Social Democracy is one of many forms of applied socialism, I can't believe I'm even wasting my time with this.

by Anonymousreply 376November 24, 2020 7:43 AM

R376 Genuinely embarrassed for you. Suggesting you can refer to social democrats as socialists just because social democracy evolved out of socialism is one of the dumbest things I've seen on this thread, and that takes some doing. Why do you think many countries have both a socialist and a social democratic party? Hell, the history of the British Labour party alone.

Hardly shocking you're the same person who somehow missed the fact that Biden and Obama are both regarded as right wing.

by Anonymousreply 377November 24, 2020 8:07 AM

If some of the American electorate would only stay off TV news for awhile, we could all wind up with a clearer perspective regarding individual candidates and their objectives. For christsake, literally! Pete B is a good person, but young, yet he’ll go far politically, I think. Biden is trying to hold a very fragile center. Give this time. If we all voted for him, it seems odd for everyone to be fighting before his inauguration because of rumors in the news. Remember Boris? He probably isn’t done with us yet.

by Anonymousreply 378November 24, 2020 8:25 AM

[quote] Why do you think many countries have both a socialist and a social democratic party?

What part of "political spectrum" don't you understand? They're both in the spectrum of socialism and one regard the other as less pure and less true than the other. What kind of 5th grade question is this?

As a matter of fact, if you leave your tiny English speaking bubble (I bet you're monolingual, which explains a lot of your shortcomings) you'll find that most multi party countries have dozens of socialist parties, Latin America , Central Africa and Southern Europe + France are notorious for that.

[quote] Hardly shocking you're the same person who somehow missed the fact that Biden and Obama are both regarded as right wing.

I didn't, I literally stated the only left leaning person in the democratic party as far as the election is concerned was Bernie Sanders and said specifically that the whole Democratic party is considered center-right everywhere else in the world, with that said...

I won't engage with your tedious attempt at academic prowess on the merits of Social Democracy versus Democratic Socialism because I'd rather spend my time drinking coffee than interacting with a moron such as yourself.

So Ill suggest you watch a Youtube video on that and name-call everyone in the comments section, because I'd bet good money you're the pathetic type to do just that.

by Anonymousreply 379November 24, 2020 10:12 AM

[quote]the whole Democratic party is considered center-right everywhere else in the world

Okay, enough with this. The Dem Party is not rightwing compared to literally everywhere else in the world.

[quote]Why do you think many countries have both a socialist and a social democratic party?

How many countries, three? Five, maybe? Come on now, both of you are being ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 380November 24, 2020 10:57 AM

[quote]How many countries, three? Five, maybe?

Wow. You're really ignorant. Almost all countries with serious political parties have both.

R379 is right.

by Anonymousreply 381November 24, 2020 11:04 AM

OP's photo looks like someone doing blackface.

by Anonymousreply 382November 24, 2020 11:05 AM

I agree with R160. Ambassador to Canada would be a good position for Pete.

And he could check out Justin Trudeau's assets:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383November 24, 2020 11:15 AM

[quote]Orthodox marxists loathe identity politics and the woke crowd,

"Orthodox Marxists?" Oh Boris!

As an actual socialist, I can confirm that you are full of absolute shit.

by Anonymousreply 384November 24, 2020 11:23 AM

[quote]Okay, enough with this. The Dem Party is not rightwing compared to literally everywhere else in the world.

How fucking sheltered are you??? GET A PASSPORT. Fucking rube. What we call the center is right wing in any European country. According to their rhetoric and their platforms, in Europe the Democratic Party is a center right party and the Republicans are far right. Stop being dismissive and learn for once.

by Anonymousreply 385November 24, 2020 11:26 AM

It really does now that you mention it, R382.

by Anonymousreply 386November 24, 2020 11:29 AM

Only minorities are allowed to fulfill all of Biden's positions according to minorities.

by Anonymousreply 387November 24, 2020 11:45 AM

Wow, talk about table scraps.... "Ambassador"?!? Are you guys serious? An ambassador position is something you hand out to the local socialite who held a fund raising party for you. Pete deserves a high level cabinet position or nothing.

by Anonymousreply 388November 24, 2020 11:47 AM

R387, you do realize Pete is a minority?

by Anonymousreply 389November 24, 2020 11:52 AM

R389 Do you realize that Petey is a White Xtian and therefore not considered a "minority"?

by Anonymousreply 390November 24, 2020 11:55 AM

R389 = Matt Anscher

by Anonymousreply 391November 24, 2020 12:08 PM

R391 = racist homophobe who makes the case for the racial profiling of heterosexual whites by the police

by Anonymousreply 392November 24, 2020 12:12 PM

Pete Buttigieg will be President of the United States if we have to install him via military coup.

by Anonymousreply 393November 24, 2020 12:13 PM

So sorry, Petefan. I know you to be one of the nicest people on DL. Pete doesn't need Biden. He'll do JUST fine on his own.

by Anonymousreply 394November 24, 2020 12:14 PM

Yet, the 175-yr old John Kerry was just named something with climate crisis? What the hell is owed to that old fart?

by Anonymousreply 395November 24, 2020 12:14 PM

R395, I think that's because Kerry was involved with negotiating the Paris Climate Accord when he was Obama's SOS.

by Anonymousreply 396November 24, 2020 12:17 PM

If you hate Trump so much that you are willing to replace him with a former vice-president who presided over more wars than George W. Bush, then you might as well make Pete president since he has actually served in the military.

by Anonymousreply 397November 24, 2020 12:17 PM

John Kerry is a former Secretary of State. From that work, he's known by governments around the world.

After Dump, we need someone known and trusted and respected to help repair our standing on the matter of climate change. Kerry is a sterling selection for this newly created job.

by Anonymousreply 398November 24, 2020 12:18 PM

Actually, CO2 levels are still down overall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399November 24, 2020 12:21 PM

[quote] I don't know what the fuck you stupid-ass cunts expect of a 38-year-old in American politics, and I suspect you don't even know either.

I know what I expect. I expect him to take the time to build a track record. So far he's mayor of South Bend and a good talker. A start but not Chief of Staff or Secretary of State or UN Ambassador or whatever we're down to now for him that exceeds his present track record.

This is the United States government, not training wheels.

by Anonymousreply 400November 24, 2020 1:07 PM

[quote]Pete Buttigieg will be President of the United States

Not if large voting blocs have anything to say about it. White gay male Democrats will struggle on the national stage.

by Anonymousreply 401November 24, 2020 1:18 PM

I'm black and gay, which has it's own unique set of challenges. But I was surprised that more white gay men didn't cry foul at the way the media responded to Pete. Whatever you may think of his experience, aside, they went after him on two fronts. The biggest one was trying to cast him as a racist, which wasn't true, while ignoring other candidates' problems with voters of colors. Which then brings up all of the gay versus black nonsense, that rears it's ugly head from time to time.

But the thing that I would have thought would have pissed you off the most was that they were pretty much saying that white gay men aren't a minority group and do not deserve certain protections and also they questioned Pete's "gayness" because he wasn't hissing and spouting off one liners from Drag Race.

You may disagree with Pete on policy or don't think he is experienced enough to be where he is, but Pete is an average gay guy. The vast majority of us are not using the Weho crosswalks as catwalks and snapping fingers and snatching wigs and all of the other stereotypical stuff.

by Anonymousreply 402November 24, 2020 2:31 PM

Biden should appoint Buttigieg as ambassador to Germany to make up for Grenell's shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 403November 24, 2020 3:25 PM

r352 you were trying to be snarky and respond to my question. No, black families do not kick out black children for being black or send them to conversion therapy. But here's the rub, neither Pete nor I had that experience so it's irrelevant to my statement beyond the fact that every gay man had a different experience with this "minority status". No, Pete and I never had to suffer through conversion therapy, other did, they may feel differently about his representation in the government.

I don't understand how you can ask that but not ponder about the injustices that black people have faced. Most of us don't even know that future UN Secretary's life story. What we do know is that we are talking about jobs, not PR actors. Put their resumes together and you will see that it makes sense for her to have the job, despite her race, sexuality, or gender. A lot of these comments ironically hint at a type of affirmative action hiring, despite the indisputable talent presented in Biden's picks. Let Biden pick a gay man because the gays deserve a win, and the affirmative action type of hang wrangling would stop.

Pete getting that UN job wont do jack shit for kids being kick out of their homes or sent to conversion therapy in America.

by Anonymousreply 404November 24, 2020 3:39 PM

r353 yet gay men still make more than black women. Gay men have a higher net worth than black women. Gay men have more social doors open up for them than black women. And gay men come in every race unlike black women. A gay white man can do a hell of a lot in America. Where are you getting this crazy notion that black women are getting what they want. The tide is turning, but black women have been at the bottom of the social hierarchy since this country started. I think it's fine for them to finally get some damn table scraps after 200 plus years of bull shit.

Your statement is actually better suited for white women. They's excelled in the workplace, made it mommy compatible, have the cover of their race, and the likelihood of marrying other white men who per capital have the highest net worth in America. Since Title IV, white women have been slowly dominating the workforce in America outside of the C-suite, but that is slowly changing as well.

by Anonymousreply 405November 24, 2020 3:45 PM

Black women have been loyal to the democrats and they should be rewarded on some level for that loyalty and they have been vocal about that. Gay men need to be more vocal, but at the same time... we need to do something about that 28% who voted for Trump. That was 27.999% to many gay Trump voters.

by Anonymousreply 406November 24, 2020 4:14 PM

I thought it was 32%? Maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 407November 24, 2020 4:16 PM

I think that percentage of gays voting Republican, third party, not at all, or under voting will go up just because simply want to respect gays. Especially white gays. Mayor Pete is a good example. When you’re alienated, you go elsewhere. But I don’t think people care where white gay people go. They just don’t like them. I don’t think Democrats will fight to retain that base. Just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 408November 24, 2020 4:23 PM

[wuote]will go up just because simply want to respect gays.

*nobody wants to respect gays...

by Anonymousreply 409November 24, 2020 4:24 PM

I'm white, male, not young, not woke and centrist. As an example, I wish Ooze and his views existed elsewhere.

I cannot believe after this summer anyone would begrudge black people - and black women in particular - prominent and multiple roles in the Biden administration.

We have a fucking problem to solve in this country people and it's to our own peril if we forget that and don't.

Part of the solution is placing talented, [italic]experienced[/italic] (I'm looking at your Petegurls) black people where they can become "normalized" in positions of influence and power, so white idiots get used to it and black kids see a future.

I'm sorry for you who think Pete is entitled to things others have earned a claim to that he hasn't. He's 38. He's bold. He's ambitious. He's been mayor of a small city and an unlikely if impressive candidate for the nomination for the Presidency. He's not going anywhere. But be realistic: give it time. And be patient, because this turn, the time has come for black people.

by Anonymousreply 410November 24, 2020 4:26 PM

If you don't want gay men to vote for the other party you actually have to offer them something.

Not simply tell them how black women are so much more oppressed than them.

by Anonymousreply 411November 24, 2020 4:30 PM

Maybe they can just vote for what's best for the damned country? Call me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 412November 24, 2020 4:32 PM

As a country we should be embarrassed that Trump was ever president. Maybe if we say it enough, we can just pretend that the last 4 years never happened or was some weird alternate time line.

by Anonymousreply 413November 24, 2020 4:35 PM

r411 a gay man won Iowa, beating out the black candidates. Stop with this idea that Pete is somehow oppressed because your treating the 2020 Democratic primary Candidates as the Avengers who should be placed in every high profile seat in Biden's admin.

by Anonymousreply 414November 24, 2020 4:35 PM

Sorry, my post at R413 was meant for another thread.

by Anonymousreply 415November 24, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote]Maybe they can just vote for what's best for the damned country?

Maybe women can do the same?

[quote][R411] a gay man won Iowa, beating out the black candidates.

And yet, despite winning with voters, we kept hearing how the VP HAD to be a woman.

by Anonymousreply 416November 24, 2020 4:38 PM

Buttigieg might want to be free to run for Governor.

by Anonymousreply 417November 24, 2020 4:40 PM

Where could Pete run for governor? I would support him.

by Anonymousreply 418November 24, 2020 4:48 PM

I think Biden decided it will be a woman. Why is that bad r416? Notice women still voted for Democrats despite having a a female VP only twice. Surprise surprise, the woman helped bring in massive amount of money for team Biden and she is about to become the next Vice President. Sounds like those people were right since we won.

by Anonymousreply 419November 24, 2020 4:48 PM

Dahhling, I love you but give me Park Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 420November 24, 2020 4:50 PM

[quote]I think Biden decided it will be a woman. Why is that bad [R416]?

Gay men are far more loyal than to the Democrats than women.

And we get NOTHING for it.

Don't wonder why some vote for Republican, third party, or stay home when all we here is that it's 'not our turn'.

by Anonymousreply 421November 24, 2020 4:51 PM

So far I’m not thrilled with any of his cabinet picks.

by Anonymousreply 422November 24, 2020 4:57 PM

And there are far more black women than there are gay men, so, as your vote is plainly nothing more than a transaction, to be withheld or granted depending on what booty you get, you're bound to be disappointed but can certainly understand the logic that leaves you waiting for your entitlement.

Anyway, you were just threatening we'd all run to the Republicans but now we're just the most loyal Democrats ever? Make up your mind, although that could get in the way of your sulk.

by Anonymousreply 423November 24, 2020 4:59 PM

[quote]all we here

*hear

by Anonymousreply 424November 24, 2020 4:59 PM

It's too late now. All the good cabinet posts are taken. Only table scarps left. OP was right.

by Anonymousreply 425November 24, 2020 5:00 PM

Loyal r421? As stated up thread, 20-30% of gay men voted for Trump. We can all assume which type of elitist gay person would be that self-serving. Over 90% percent of black women voted for Biden. Somewhere in the high 80s was the black support for Biden over all. You really don't want to go down the path of which demographic is more "loyal".

But hey, when there is a majority gay city in (multiple) swing states that pull out a win for a Democratic president, then we can talk. Both gays and blacks are loyal to democrats. Stop while you're behind.

by Anonymousreply 426November 24, 2020 5:02 PM

[quote] treating the 2020 Democratic primary Candidates as the Avengers who should be placed in every high profile seat in Biden's admin.

I suspect DL isn't the only place the politically naive assumed that Biden was going to dip into the pool of primary candidates to make most of his cabinet appointments.

Though it may be the only place where relative hotness and stylishness of wardrobe come into play.

by Anonymousreply 427November 24, 2020 5:03 PM

Maybe ambassador to Malta.

by Anonymousreply 428November 24, 2020 5:03 PM

R427, that's because, as in so many things, they think politics is American Idol.

by Anonymousreply 429November 24, 2020 5:04 PM

If he doesn't get anything high profile it is because the Harris people fear him in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 430November 24, 2020 5:11 PM

R379 So much sound and fury...

My original point remains - the only people who work so hard to try and pretend social democrats are socialists are right-wingers attempting to misrepresent. Or, maybe, people who only ever deal with theory and avoid the real world.

Oh, and do read what I actually say, not what you want to pretend I said. I referred to the way you suggested 'woke' don't regard Biden or Obama as right wing, when they do. Again, perhaps time to get out of your little bubble.

Funny you talk about name-calling, given that's all you've done. Almost like you have no real argument to make so you just coat your bullshit in a smear of pretension, hoping it fools someone.

by Anonymousreply 431November 24, 2020 6:33 PM

Chasten wants to buy antiques. So Pete will take a pundit job with a cable news station. It pays more.

Or if he did take the VA gig, he could potentially draw attention to the plight of the disabled veterans and get a budget increase from Biden. He’s a veteran himself; maybe it could help him if he decides to run again.

But the Ft. Wayne police debacle is his millstone. It really hurt his brand.

by Anonymousreply 432November 24, 2020 6:45 PM

She looks damned good for 74

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433November 24, 2020 7:02 PM

[quote]But the Ft. Wayne police debacle is his millstone. It really hurt his brand.

Um . . . that's South Bend

by Anonymousreply 434November 24, 2020 7:08 PM

Fort Wayne would NEVER elect a gay mayor.

by Anonymousreply 435November 24, 2020 7:09 PM

R433 - is Pete transitioning?

by Anonymousreply 436November 24, 2020 7:10 PM

[quote] Chasten wants to buy antiques. So Pete will take a pundit job with a cable news station. It pays more.

Didn't Pete already sign on for a faculty position at Notre Dame?

by Anonymousreply 437November 24, 2020 7:17 PM

R436, that is the second time today that I've posted something incorrectly in this thread. Maybe I need to step away from the computer.

by Anonymousreply 438November 24, 2020 7:28 PM

I will say that Tony Blinken looks damn good for 58

The hair, in particular.

It's the kind of hair Trump wishes he had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439November 24, 2020 9:10 PM

[quote]As stated up thread, 20-30% of gay men voted for Trump. We can all assume which type of elitist gay person would be that self-serving

No we can't ASSume anything, cupcake.

Dump had the highest minority vote of any Republican candidate in fifty years.

You sound like that moron from the NY Times who tried to pin the upswing in the gay vote on white people. Which Wanda Sykes (friend of Ellen Degeneres, so she obviously knows about good character) agreed with.

by Anonymousreply 440November 24, 2020 9:41 PM

I've got nothing against Mayor Pete, but.....pay your dues.

Get a law degree. Be elected senator or congressman.

by Anonymousreply 441November 24, 2020 10:05 PM

[quote]You sound like that moron from the NY Times who tried to pin the upswing in the gay vote on white people.

Of course it was white people and Herschel Walker's son.

by Anonymousreply 442November 24, 2020 10:17 PM

It was those leaked photos of Hunter's dick that won Joe the White House.

by Anonymousreply 443November 24, 2020 10:34 PM

[quote] Dump had the highest minority vote of any Republican candidate in fifty years.

Based on the exit polling that we all know is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 444November 24, 2020 10:42 PM

[quote]Get a law degree. Be elected senator or congressman.

But, but - he's going to be elected as President of the United States in 2024 with the highest popular vote in the history of the whole world R441.

by Anonymousreply 445November 24, 2020 10:58 PM

[quote]Based on the exit polling that we all know is wrong.

We all know?! You're stunning me with the empirical evidence!

Let me guess, Harvard grad right.

by Anonymousreply 446November 24, 2020 11:01 PM

Gayfrau Times: Betrayer Biden Bukkakes Buttegieg!

by Anonymousreply 447November 24, 2020 11:03 PM

South Bend? Even more obscure.

by Anonymousreply 448November 25, 2020 12:11 AM

Petes approach is not left or right, though his position may be analyzed as such. He's a smart guy but also has a distinctive political vision.

by Anonymousreply 449November 25, 2020 12:13 AM

If Kamala makes it to the presidency, Pete being her VP would be one way that he could circumvent his lack of executive experience, and politically hostile home state situation.

by Anonymousreply 450November 25, 2020 12:15 AM

He will be a janitor for white house if the maxican ladies doesn't steal his job

by Anonymousreply 451November 25, 2020 3:54 AM

Some of you sound right and truly deranged.

Pete will write books, appear on cable news as a pundit, and collect lots and lots of speakers' fees. He'll be fine, but he'll never work in the White House and certainly won't be President.

by Anonymousreply 452November 25, 2020 11:34 AM

Pete would be an excellent press secretary but the role may be beneath him.

by Anonymousreply 453November 25, 2020 12:06 PM

Joining the cabinet is beneath him. He's presidential material. He needs the time to strengthen his base.

by Anonymousreply 454November 25, 2020 12:09 PM

Pete was never a top tier candidate and his book seems vapid even for a campaign bio. He's an ambitious, vaguely liberal small town guy. The normal trajectory for someone like him would be state house for a couple terms, then House of Rep, then governor or senator. He might skip a step or two, but he's not going to be anything beyond an undersecretary or a middling ambassador if he expects a patronage job. Biden clearly wants people who know the bureaucracy well enough to claw back from Trump's chaos and disastrous rule changes, while figuring out a path forward. Pete would have too much of a learning curve to be of any use with that. The MayorPete troll needs to accept reality--this vapid little character needs to learn a few things before he goes anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 455November 25, 2020 2:50 PM

^^^ Or to recap: "Hey little gay boy, stay in your lane. Stick to being a receptionist like me." - R455

by Anonymousreply 456November 25, 2020 2:59 PM

Leave him, Chasten, and come to me!

by Anonymousreply 457November 25, 2020 3:25 PM

[quote]Pete would be an excellent press secretary but the role may be beneath him.

He would and it is.

by Anonymousreply 458November 25, 2020 3:27 PM

There are a lot of gay male receptionists on this site.

by Anonymousreply 459November 25, 2020 3:29 PM

[quote]Biden clearly wants people who know the bureaucracy well enough to claw back from Trump's chaos and disastrous rule changes, while figuring out a path forward

And thank god for that. I really don't think many posters in this thread have any idea of just how much talent is needed to run a department, much less one that's been subject to four years of sabotage. Instead you just have crazed fangirls like R456 who think any suggestion Pete can't do anything is based in self-loathing, or the others making comments which sound like they'd come from his mother.

by Anonymousreply 460November 25, 2020 3:35 PM

Biden is a corrective and transitional president who needs to wear a hazmat suit to clear all the toxicity. He won't be able to do anything new. He has shut out his supporters in favor an Obama crew for the cabinet. This means he will not run in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 461November 25, 2020 7:19 PM

R455 Buttigieg won Iowa as a total unknown going into the race. He was a top tier candidate and he's an outrageous political talent

by Anonymousreply 462November 25, 2020 7:21 PM

If you analyze Biden's picks, he is releasing names in a very specific order. This batch has already been Senate approved one time or other.

Biden is expecting easy approvals for them.

He is holding out on the ones her needs control of the Senate.

If Pete is appointed to a Senate approval position, I get the feeling Biden will hold to appoint until he knows.

Same with the AG (praying for Sally Yates), who in a Biden Admin., will be very busy.

by Anonymousreply 463November 25, 2020 7:24 PM

He's announcing economic roles next week.

I have a feeling Pete will be Chairman of the Federal Reserve, Chancellor of the Exchequer or replace the guy on the TD Ameritrade commercials.

And, of course, there's always Jeopardy!

by Anonymousreply 464November 25, 2020 8:06 PM

R464, He's too short for any of those positions.

by Anonymousreply 465November 25, 2020 8:15 PM

He'll be the spokesperson for reverse mortgages

by Anonymousreply 466November 25, 2020 10:06 PM

He won the Iowa caucus, R462? So did Ted Cruz. So did Rick Fuckin' Santorum.

by Anonymousreply 467November 25, 2020 11:32 PM

What is about Pete that makes some of you so angry? Is it that he makes you feel like you've wasted your life? I'm sorry that he's smarter and more accomplished and has a good life and good husband and a good home life, while you have nothing. Maybe you should have tried a little harder.

by Anonymousreply 468November 25, 2020 11:36 PM

R467, Didn't Bernie actually win the Iowa caucus?

by Anonymousreply 469November 25, 2020 11:38 PM

Google is your friend, r469.

Report back on the candidates and their delegates before the aggregation behind Biden, too.

by Anonymousreply 470November 25, 2020 11:45 PM

AppGate!

by Anonymousreply 471November 25, 2020 11:50 PM

Iowa is a caucus, usually described as a "beauty contest" and easy to win by giving a lot of face time. The earliest and least consequential of the "primaries". My God, you're like the Lange troll, going on about someone who isn't top tier.

by Anonymousreply 472November 25, 2020 11:52 PM

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 473November 25, 2020 11:53 PM

R468, it’s not people, it’s sad asslickers like you. He’s just a man. No better or worse than any man. Well, you maybe.

by Anonymousreply 474November 25, 2020 11:55 PM

This is a scandal!

by Anonymousreply 475November 26, 2020 12:24 AM

Successful gay men make many Dataloungers bitter R468

To date, it's mostly been actors

Mostly, I suspect, it has to do with blaming their unhappiness and lack of success on the fact that they are gay and when they see a successful gay person it destroys that myth for them.

by Anonymousreply 476November 26, 2020 12:31 AM

Just realism, fanboy. He's going to be a trivia question if he doesn't find some conventional trajectory for himself.

by Anonymousreply 477November 26, 2020 12:43 AM

At least I have a friend, R470.

by Anonymousreply 478November 26, 2020 12:50 AM

The country is in lousy shape, and things will not be easy when Biden takes over on January 20th. Things will likely get worse in the next two months (economy, COVID, US standing in the world, etc.). Trump will do what he can to hobble the new administration as much as possible in the next two months.

Biden thus far has selected people with experience in their individual portfolios. They are the right people to rectify the situation (and Departments) that we are in. Kerry is a former Sec of State after all, and is respected by allies (and adversaries) all over the globe. He also is stressing personal contacts (having worked with him before, knowing he can count on them, etc.). He has known Ron Klain for nearly 35 years, and Klain has worked with many of other nominees for decades in the Clinton and Obama administrations.

I honestly like Mayor Pete and likely would have voted for him in the primary in my State. But he dropped out before that primary. Biden doe snot own him anything, nor was he a longstanding ally/supporter of Biden for years. Buttigieg also has zero federal experience. Let him get some experience at the federal/international level before taking a leadership role in the Biden administration.

by Anonymousreply 479November 26, 2020 12:55 AM

Make him an ambassador...he’s speaks another language right?

by Anonymousreply 480November 26, 2020 12:57 AM

r478, do you use super or regular for "your friend".

by Anonymousreply 481November 26, 2020 1:01 AM

[quote] Buttigieg won Iowa as a total unknown going into the race.

The whitest state in the Union. Mayo pete crashed and burned everywhere that had a sizeable black population.

by Anonymousreply 482November 26, 2020 1:13 AM

I feel sorry for poor, sad retail queens like R474 who think because they can't rise above department store floorwalker, that all gay men should just take a back seat. Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg is just better than you are in every single way. Get over it, sweetie. Now, could you please show me to the slim fit section, I'm looking for some causal holiday wear.

by Anonymousreply 483November 26, 2020 1:15 AM

R483, you just embarrassed yourself.

by Anonymousreply 484November 26, 2020 1:22 AM

R483, you are mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 485November 26, 2020 1:23 AM

R483 has a pink marker and a blue pad and is currently writing Mrs. Pete Buttigieg overland over and over again. When she’s not spraying Reddiwhip direct down her throat.

by Anonymousreply 486November 26, 2020 1:25 AM

For the genius masquerading as R470, the Associated Press never declared a Democrat winner in the 2020 Iowa caucus.

by Anonymousreply 487November 26, 2020 1:28 AM

Pete sure brings out the inadequacies in a lot of gay men-especially on Datalounge.

Their unhinged jealousy is palpable.

by Anonymousreply 488November 26, 2020 1:37 AM

It doesn't really matter who you appoint to any position. With the exception of the vice president, the President has absolute power, and can replace any one at any given time. No explanation necessary.

by Anonymousreply 489November 26, 2020 1:57 AM

Pete did NOT win Iowa. Bernie did

by Anonymousreply 490November 26, 2020 2:00 AM

Keep thinking that R490. You Bernie freaks need help. Just like you anti Pete loons do.

by Anonymousreply 491November 26, 2020 2:11 AM

Make him Ambassador to Russia. It will be a slap in the face to Putin.

by Anonymousreply 492November 26, 2020 3:31 AM

[quote]Make him an ambassador...he’s speaks another language right?

R480, yes, Pete speaks French. That could come in handy if he's made Ambassador to Canada when he meets Justin Trudeau:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493November 26, 2020 3:38 AM

He could also go to France

by Anonymousreply 494November 26, 2020 3:41 AM

He speaks Norwegian, so there you go, Chasten. Go and have fun on fjord.

by Anonymousreply 495November 26, 2020 3:46 AM

Funny how all these Pete fans have so much time to spend insulting others, and yet not one of them has even attempted to list all this valuable experience they claim he has which makes him eligible for a Cabinet post or ambassadorship, even though I first challenged them to do so days ago.

by Anonymousreply 496November 26, 2020 5:52 AM

Vat abowt me?

I cahn speek savaral deefront langwidge.

😜 Vannah geeve eet a go, Joe ?

by Anonymousreply 497November 26, 2020 7:02 AM

I imagine he is getting an ambassador's role. There's the most of of them. Biden's preference is plainly for old hands. Maybe we underestimate how much damage has been done?

Pete's bright and has a future, but you can see the need to build a track record. I liked that line earlier: it's the United States Government, not training wheels.

He needs election to national office and a demonstrated track record of accomplishment about something other than running for things.

And he needs to find a state to live in that gives him a hope of being elected but live there long enough not to look like a carpetbagger.

Otherwise he runs the risk of sinking into the same class as the remaining Kennedys.... professional politicians with more interest in election than service.

by Anonymousreply 498November 26, 2020 1:02 PM

Biden should offer Melania the post as Ambassador to Slovenia. Trump's head would explode.

And then, with that goal accomplished, he could replace Melania with Pete. Of course, Pete would have to learn Slovenian, too, but just give him a weekend and a toilet and, by God, he'll do it!

by Anonymousreply 499November 26, 2020 1:05 PM

The max salary for an Ambassador is $187K so that's a good base for Pete.

[quote]Ambassadors are given special residences that they live in free of charge. They also get a range of other benefits, including government subsidized healthcare insurance, life insurance and five weeks of vacation time per year, which includes paid airfare to and from their vacation destination. Ambassadors are also compensated for educational expenses for their family. The amount they receive depends upon the country where they are stationed. For instance, the ambassador to Denmark receives $23,500 a year for each child he has in grades K-5, $21,800 for grades 6 through 8; $23,600 for grade 9 and $25,200 for grade 10; and $56,400 for grades 11 and 12. In New Zealand, the annual education allowance is $58,900 per child, regardless of grade.

by Anonymousreply 500November 26, 2020 1:13 PM

He got nothing. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 501November 26, 2020 1:50 PM

R496, just a couple of quick thoughts on what makes Pete well qualified for some high-level jobs.

He is brilliant as a data geek, and he was extremely effective as mayor at using data to discern what worked and what didn't work in systems, policies, practices, and organizational structure, and then making in changes to reflect that new knowledge and understanding. There are many places in government where those skills are sorely needed.

Second, he is a brilliant communicator. Like him or hate him, few people he has sparred with are as articulate or quick or as knowledgeable as he on most topics. The way he skewered Elizabeth Warren's hypocrisy when she tried to throw "wine caves" at him. The way he throws it back in Fox News' face every time he appears there, which is relatively often, considering virtually all other Democrats are afraid to go on Fox at all. The way he immediately took the high ground when he was given an opportunity to put down an opponent, Joe Biden, who did not appear likely at that time to be the candidate, and said no, we should not give creedance to anything Donald Trump says.

Add to that: he's a highly educated Rhodes Scholar and a veteran. Those experiences also add to his credibility in many arenas.

I'm already thinking of more reasons he is so well qualified for prominent service in the administration, but I'll stop with these.

by Anonymousreply 502November 26, 2020 1:51 PM

I'll Oh Dear myself for misspelling credence.

by Anonymousreply 503November 26, 2020 1:56 PM

The problem with all of that, R502, is that the changes you claim he made didn't win over the black community in his city. And people of African descent are 26% of South Bend's population.

So, were his changes not all that you claim? Or is the problem with his communication skills? If he was as good as you claim, then he would have made great progress and sold it effectively to his constituents.

But that didn't really happen. And now, almost immediately, he seems to have abandoned South Bend, in favor of a location that better suits his plans. Again, not a great way to communicate that he is solid and committed.

It looks more like he took what he could get out of South Bend and moved on.

by Anonymousreply 504November 26, 2020 1:57 PM

You're either trolling or you haven't done your homework on the black community in South Bend, R504. Pete had plenty of black support there, and much of his black opposition came from someone who had run against him for mayor and whose claims have been largely deliberate distortions easily disproved.

But I won't waste any more energy on the subject with you, R504, because you are invested either in discrediting him or in trolling, not in having a serious discussion.

by Anonymousreply 505November 26, 2020 2:11 PM

I think the far left needs to form their own party outside of Democrats. Maybe join the Green party or something.

by Anonymousreply 506November 26, 2020 2:13 PM

No, R506. Corporate neoliberals can move over to the Republican Party, where they belong, or once did, anyway. Maybe they could form a new Republican Party with the likes of John Kasich, since they love him so much.

by Anonymousreply 507November 26, 2020 2:22 PM

I’m good with that. I like John Kasich.

by Anonymousreply 508November 26, 2020 2:24 PM

Of course you do.

by Anonymousreply 509November 26, 2020 2:28 PM

Of course you do.

by Anonymousreply 510November 26, 2020 2:28 PM

Yes—a lot of other gays do too. Democrats have pushed gays out. Democrats like you who say “of course I do”, whatever that means. You don’t want me? Okay. Bye. Good luck in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 511November 26, 2020 2:33 PM

The other problem, R504, is that description of Pete, at R502, also describes most of the talented young people in government (perhaps not the sparring skills though any competent lawyer with a background in litigation should be good on his feet.)

Peter is undeniably talented, he's just not all that rare.

by Anonymousreply 512November 26, 2020 2:55 PM

[quote] I think the far left needs to form their own party outside of Democrats. Maybe join the Green party or something.

You desperately need to read the Constitution. Unless and until the Electoral College is eliminated and a new selection process is created in its place that bases its outcome on the popular vote and the will of the people, we have a constitutionally ordained two party system.

To win the Electoral College vote, a candidate must achieve a majority of the votes cast. Not a plurality. The plan you espouse just creates the very real risk of the election being decided in the House of Representatives. Your plan is not more representative of the will of the people. It's much, much, less representative.

by Anonymousreply 513November 26, 2020 3:11 PM

R512: yeah, he sounds like an eager GS13 (lower mid-level govt professional) or the political appointment equivalent. There are tons of them--many just as ambitious or more than him.

by Anonymousreply 514November 26, 2020 4:40 PM

To the poster or posters insisting that gay men are more oppressed than anyone, what rights do you lack? What laws need to be changed?

by Anonymousreply 515November 26, 2020 4:43 PM

[quote]I'm already thinking of more reasons he is so well qualified for prominent service in the administration, but I'll stop with these

So far you've described someone who'd maybe be useful as an advisor to a Secretary. And as R512 and R514 point out, there's so many people with those skills. What makes him actually unique and capable that he should leapfrog candidates with literal decades of experience in their fields (given that's clearly who Biden is appointing)?

Also - snappy comebacks in a debate and on Fox News are great on the campaign trail - when was the last time the head of the VA needed to do that, though?

by Anonymousreply 516November 26, 2020 5:54 PM

He was the mayor of South Bend Indiana, for fuck's sake.

There is only so high he can be placed in an administration that takes experience seriously.

The people bitching about it are just trolls trying to start trouble. President-elect Biden is helping Pete move up the ladder, it's a good deal.

by Anonymousreply 517November 26, 2020 6:35 PM

Patience, puppies, patience.

by Anonymousreply 518November 26, 2020 9:45 PM

[quote]Democrats have pushed gays out.

What the fuck are you talking about??

by Anonymousreply 519November 26, 2020 11:41 PM

r519 it's just more white gays feeling like they are owed the world, like their straight counterpoints because they are at the end of the day white men.

by Anonymousreply 520November 27, 2020 12:55 AM

Or it's a troll, R520.

by Anonymousreply 521November 27, 2020 4:55 AM

R515 Gay men are victims of hate crimes and discrimination more often than any of the other letters in LGBT. I'm too lazy to pull up sources right now, but I can. I'm so sick of this narrative that gay men are privileged and not oppressed, it's simply not true. And you have some nerve to say that shit on a website for gay men. Please fuck off with that bs.

by Anonymousreply 522November 27, 2020 5:03 AM

R515 Gay men are victims of hate crimes and discrimination more often than any of the other letters in LGBT. I'm too lazy to pull up sources right now, but I can. I'm so sick of this narrative that gay men are privileged and not oppressed, it's simply not true. And you have some nerve to say that shit on a website for gay men. Please fuck off with that bs.

by Anonymousreply 523November 27, 2020 5:03 AM

Found it. Sorry for the double post btw.

[Quote]In 2011, the FBI reported 1,572 hate crime victims targeted based on a sexual orientation bias, making up 20.4% of the total hate crimes for that year. Of the total victims, 56.7% were targeted based on anti-male homosexual bias, 29.6% were targeted based on anti-homosexual bias, and 11.1% were targeted based on anti-female homosexual bias.[11]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524November 27, 2020 5:07 AM

Found it. Sorry for the double post btw.

[Quote]In 2011, the FBI reported 1,572 hate crime victims targeted based on a sexual orientation bias, making up 20.4% of the total hate crimes for that year. Of the total victims, 56.7% were targeted based on anti-male homosexual bias, 29.6% were targeted based on anti-homosexual bias, and 11.1% were targeted based on anti-female homosexual bias.[11]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525November 27, 2020 5:07 AM

Well done r522.

Well done r522.

by Anonymousreply 526November 27, 2020 5:12 AM

More recent numbers. The biggest group is still gay men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527November 27, 2020 5:18 AM

TAKE YOUR MEDS MATTHEW ANSCHER

by Anonymousreply 528November 27, 2020 7:11 AM

Sorry, Pete. It looks like Cindy McCain will be Ambassador to the UK.

(Personally, I'd prefer getting up close and personal with Justin Trudeau's butt than meeting the Queen.)

by Anonymousreply 529November 28, 2020 9:06 PM

Good job on Cindy! Play safe and tried and true Joe! That's what the country needs.

Wait. It is, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 530November 28, 2020 9:10 PM

Pete should have been President. We all know it.

by Anonymousreply 531November 28, 2020 9:43 PM

Of course gay men are oppressed and discriminated in the US. They are disproportionately victimized by other groups. 56-62% of all hate crimes committed against the LGBT are towards gay men. This percentage has remained high since the Justice Department started reporting data on hate crimes. Gay people can be fired from a job because of their sexual orientation under the law. Any idiot knows this and we should never be in any position when an individual is too ignorant not to know this.

by Anonymousreply 532November 28, 2020 10:11 PM

Now, Cindy will never see granddaughter Liberty.

by Anonymousreply 533November 28, 2020 10:15 PM

R529, I'm sure Pete would be happy to be Ambassador to Canada:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534November 28, 2020 10:19 PM

Won’t someone please shit in my mouth?

by Anonymousreply 535November 28, 2020 11:25 PM

How will Pete as the UN Ambassador help reduce the number of gay hate crimes in America? Will homophobes suddenly Google the name of the UN Ambassador, find out it's a gay man, and turn their backs on their wicked inclination to attack gay men?

If you all want him to be high profile, then let's make Pete the first openly gay Senator or Governor, that'd be something to make headlines. UN Ambassador is no SoS, no one gives a shit about them or every really thinks about them. Haley was an exception because the Trump years have been off kilter.

by Anonymousreply 536November 29, 2020 2:29 AM

[quote]If you all want him to be high profile, then let's make Pete the first openly gay Senator or Governor

Um...excuse me.

by Anonymousreply 537November 29, 2020 3:27 AM

Oh never heard of him r537. Just did the Wiki search, great! Pete should really go for Senator than. Trust me if a Governor isn't well known than a UN Ambassador is really not going to stop hate crimes.

by Anonymousreply 538November 29, 2020 3:39 AM

[quote]Oh never heard of him

I think this is a good thing. He’s focused on Colorado not being famous. The fact that you have never heard of America’s first openly gay governor might be refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 539November 29, 2020 3:47 AM

A lowly mayor from some small Midwestern city had no business thinking he was actually going to be the Democratic nominee and shouldn't think he deserves some high office government handout now either.

by Anonymousreply 540November 29, 2020 4:02 AM

R539 His husband is also not a famewhore. If memory serves, he actually has a job of his own.

by Anonymousreply 541November 29, 2020 4:13 AM

Jared was asked about Pete on Pod Save America. He threw some shade and said Biden was his candidate

by Anonymousreply 542November 29, 2020 4:14 AM

R534 Yes, Trudeau's butt deserves it's very own Ambassador.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543November 29, 2020 4:29 AM

Nice Facebook post to Pete from Jared. Can’t post in URL field.

by Anonymousreply 544November 29, 2020 4:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545November 29, 2020 4:35 AM

Jarod Polis bought his way into politics.

by Anonymousreply 546November 29, 2020 4:35 AM

[quote]A lowly mayor from some small Midwestern city had no business thinking he was actually going to be the Democratic nominee and shouldn't think he deserves some high office government handout now either.

R540, Pete may not have a lot of experience, but if a reality tv star can become President with NO governing experience whatsoever, I don't see why a mayor can't run for President.

by Anonymousreply 547November 29, 2020 8:40 AM

Primary Biden-Harris in 2024, Pete. And then annihilate Ted Cruz-Marsha Blackburn in the general.

by Anonymousreply 548November 29, 2020 9:55 AM

Jared Polis is an Uncle Tom for refusing to stand behind Pete.

by Anonymousreply 549November 29, 2020 10:24 AM

I will not be ruled by breeders or their quisling enablers.

by Anonymousreply 550November 29, 2020 10:30 AM

I think Pete would be excellent at the VA. The question is, would he want the job? It's probably one of the most difficult jobs in government at this point.

by Anonymousreply 551November 29, 2020 10:43 AM

R551, I've said from the day Pete dropped out of the primary VA would be an awesome place for him. It's not high profile and it's a thankless job, because no matter how well he or anyone might do, there will be more terrible problems showing up, but he could do it as well as or better than anyone could.

He's so good with data management, the first day he would probably commission a bunch of studies and audits about what works and what doesn't, and then put that information to work improving the system.

by Anonymousreply 552November 29, 2020 11:24 AM

If he was successful at VA, he would buy himself a lot of loyalty and a lot of future votes.

by Anonymousreply 553November 29, 2020 11:40 AM

[quote] Pete may not have a lot of experience, but if a reality tv star can become President with NO governing experience whatsoever, I don't see why a mayor can't run for President.

Trump had backup like Vladimir Putin and the Mercers. He didn't make it happen on his own with his Deplorable base alone.

by Anonymousreply 554November 29, 2020 11:45 AM

Trump was a political unknown running against a candidate whose political life was far too well known. She had a world of baggage. Outside of NYC, he had none. Pee Brain benefited mightily from the people voting against Hillary. Support for him was never strong nor, as 2020 proved, solid.

by Anonymousreply 555November 29, 2020 12:28 PM

This thread reeks of Matt Anscher

by Anonymousreply 556November 29, 2020 2:02 PM

[quote] If you all want him to be high profile, then let's make Pete the first openly gay Senator or Governor.

Um... excuse us, too.

by Anonymousreply 557November 29, 2020 2:19 PM

r555 Trump increased his support by 11 million voters from 2016 to 2020. He has a lot of support, but there are simply more voters for Biden this round. Trump receive more votes than Obama in 2008. He's not unpopular.

by Anonymousreply 558November 29, 2020 2:46 PM

he's disgusting

by Anonymousreply 559November 29, 2020 2:52 PM

We need to really mine and study the data to find out who voted for Trump and why, and we need to examine how and why the Dems lost House seats. That's critical. No magical thinking or biases. Just really hard numbers crunching. We need to do that this year and next to be ready for 2022. We have to take the state llegislatures and governors offices as well as secretaries of state. You know we have legislative redistricting? The state legislatures will engage in more voter suppression and gerrymandering because we didn't get that Blue Tsunami.

by Anonymousreply 560November 29, 2020 3:29 PM

James McGreevey was not an openly gay Governor until he got dragged out of the closet by one of his tricks.

Until that moment, he was a happily married family men.

(Insert eye roll here.)

by Anonymousreply 561November 29, 2020 9:20 PM

[quote] If you all want him to be high profile, then let's make Pete the first openly gay Senator or Governor, that'd be something to make headlines.

If you believe that can happen, then you'll first need to figure out where he can move to and take up residence, 'cuz it certainly ain't gonna happen in Indiana.

And if he goes to some reliably blue state just to do that, can he avoid the carpetbagger label?

by Anonymousreply 562November 29, 2020 9:29 PM

R562 I don’t much care one way or another. He has an Ivy League degree and a husband. He’s doing much better then me though I have 9 years to see where life takes me when I reach his current age.

I’m just saying that he should have though ahead before moving to IN. Could have been in Chicago and still be home every other weekend to see his parents.

by Anonymousreply 563November 29, 2020 9:35 PM

Sure he can move to a blue state and run there. It ain't easy to do, but not impossible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564November 29, 2020 9:41 PM

R564 I agree with Bobby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565November 29, 2020 9:44 PM

And don't forget about me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566November 29, 2020 10:24 PM

True R561, but after that moment McGreevey was an openly gay Governor. So he beat the Colorado guy by 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 567November 29, 2020 10:33 PM

That's really irrelevant, R567. He announced that he was gay on August 12, 2004, and simultaneously announced his resignation, effective November 15, 2004. At no time was he an out and politically viable gay governor.

by Anonymousreply 568November 29, 2020 10:45 PM

Mayo Pete hasn’t even been out of the closet 5 years.

Governor Polis is rumoured to be getting an appointment in the Biden-Harris Administration.

by Anonymousreply 569November 30, 2020 1:13 AM

[quote] If you all want him to be high profile, then let's make Pete the first openly gay Senator or Governor.

What?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570November 30, 2020 3:08 AM

Are people still saying in this thread that Buttigieg will be the next president in 2024?

by Anonymousreply 571November 30, 2020 3:19 AM

R467 And we all know how low the standards for republicans are.

by Anonymousreply 572November 30, 2020 6:30 AM

R450 Kamala would never pick Pete as VP because he'd make her look dumb

by Anonymousreply 573November 30, 2020 6:30 AM

If Biden were smart he would run for a second term and retire after two years leaving Harris to run as an incumbent in the last two years.

By that time she would be smart enough to have Pete as a VP. Six years.

by Anonymousreply 574November 30, 2020 6:55 AM

I get it now, it seems like that 28% of gays who voted for Trump are all DL posters. It would make sense that you can't stand Pete.

by Anonymousreply 575November 30, 2020 1:10 PM

I'm a fan of Pete and have followed his twitter, but I think i will unfollow him

I have to admit his posts are always pretty banal and kind of dull. Nothing much pithy in the way of commentary. Mostly cheesy pronouncements about some Democrat doing something dreadfully noble about something. It's all very Disney.

by Anonymousreply 576November 30, 2020 9:08 PM

He is very Disney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577November 30, 2020 9:53 PM

R576 It's because those Bernout creeps will jump him if he ever says anything remotely controversial

by Anonymousreply 578December 1, 2020 9:58 PM

Finish this thread

by Anonymousreply 579December 5, 2020 5:48 PM

The more Trump fucks with the DoD, I am thinking Undersecretary for DoD.

by Anonymousreply 580December 5, 2020 6:16 PM

Is he really not going to give him anything though

by Anonymousreply 581December 5, 2020 6:19 PM

No I think not and I hope not. Pete is headed for greater things and this centrist right admin is transitional and packed with Obama beltway insiders. He will get stunted here.

by Anonymousreply 582December 5, 2020 6:41 PM

Yeah, R570—what??

by Anonymousreply 583December 5, 2020 6:47 PM

How 'bout Ambassador to NATO? -- another Trump cock-up. .. At least that would give Pete some work in foreign affairs and state. It's probably not necessary for the Ambassador to live full-time at Trueman Hall in Brussels (although the Flemish estate for the Ambassador is supposed to be nice), so he could probably establish a secondary residence in an area adjacent to DC or NYC and begin scoping out a nice blue district in which to make a future run for congress (e.g. NY, CT, NJ, VA, MD, DE).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584December 5, 2020 7:15 PM

R584 NATO would be nice posting, as I've heard they have some nice parties in Brussels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585December 5, 2020 8:20 PM

NATO sometimes meet in London and gossip at the after-party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586December 5, 2020 8:26 PM

Please update me, has Pete applied for unemployment benefits yet?

by Anonymousreply 587December 6, 2020 11:00 AM

Please update me, has Pete applied for unemployment benefits yet?

by Anonymousreply 588December 6, 2020 11:00 AM

More proof there was absolutely no rigging of the primaries whatsoever and anyone who claims otherwise is a deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 589December 6, 2020 11:02 AM

The NATO ambassadorship seems like a stretch... but not an impossible stretch.

When you look at it, though, have any of the candidates from the nomination race gotten anything, other than Harris, obviously?

by Anonymousreply 590December 6, 2020 12:42 PM

Biden said he plans a diverse cabinet that will include LGBT candidates and that likely clues in Buttigieg will have some cabinet position.

by Anonymousreply 591December 6, 2020 12:54 PM

Make him the Ambassador to Malta. He already speaks the language and it gets him and Chasten out of Indiana. Everybody wins.

by Anonymousreply 592December 6, 2020 1:04 PM

R588 I don't think Pete needs unemployment. Back in June, Notre Dame put him on contract for some faculty position.

by Anonymousreply 593December 6, 2020 7:37 PM

Another position that's probably available is the "United States Special Envoy for the Human Rights of LGBTI Persons" within the State Dept.

This was created under Obama when John Kerry was Secretary of State. .. When Trump came in, he moved the incumbent (gay Randy W. Berry) to Nepal, and the position has remained vacant ever since (of course).

This too would get Pete out of Indiana, and again, he could probably establish residence in the vicinity of DC or NYC for a future political run. Berry once said he visited 42 countries during his first year on the job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594December 6, 2020 7:53 PM

I was gonna ask if the guy above was gay but then I read his name is Randy.

by Anonymousreply 595December 6, 2020 9:13 PM

This was in WaPo in March 2020

[quote] Why Pete Buttigieg should be DNC chairman

WaPo cuts like a knife-

[quote] The DNC chairmanship is occupied. But the role is hardly filled. Missing is a dynamic, well-organized and respected political strategist. The country’s oldest party committee needs such a leader, especially in the time of President Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596December 6, 2020 9:39 PM

The Atlantic says Jamie Harrison is tapped for DNC Chair.

I admit, I will be very disappointed if Pete doesn't get something. It doesn't seem characteristic of Biden to raise false hopes but you'd think it would have come by now.

by Anonymousreply 597December 7, 2020 7:27 PM

TMZ sez (12/7/20):

[quote] PETE BUTTIGIEG VETTED FOR CABINET POSTS ... Commerce, HUD, EPA on the Table

[quote] Sources privy to the selection process tell TMZ, Buttigieg is being vetted for what could be a significant appointment. We're told the possible appointment includes Secretary of Commerce and HUD. We're told he's also under consideration to head the EPA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598December 7, 2020 7:44 PM

The media takes pleasure in picking the most unflattering pics don't they?

by Anonymousreply 599December 7, 2020 7:48 PM

Will Pete and Chas live in Georgetown, Arlington or Alexandria?

by Anonymousreply 600December 7, 2020 7:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!