Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chemex vs. Hario pourover

Due to a mistake in online ordering, both are arriving today. I want to keep only one of them. Please help me decide!

I drink pourover coffee exclusively, but I've always used a cheap plastic cone filter. I want to upgrade but I'm not sure which I should keep. Is there a noticeable difference in taste between a Hario ceramic filter and a cheap plastic filter with high quality paper filters? Is the Chemex worth the additional fuss? I can't decide.

My favorite coffees are Kona (real Kona) and Kenya AA if that makes a difference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2020 9:46 PM

Who cares.

OP, you need to make your bed! And is that a cash register on the night stand?

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2020 6:15 PM

Chemsex vs. what? You're too kinky for me OP!

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2020 6:19 PM

The quality of the coffee both make is comparable. Chemex's design is much better. Keep the Chemex.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2020 6:29 PM

Aeropress is amazing:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2020 6:30 PM

I use a Bodum pour over system, which is similar to the Chemex, but with a stainless steel mesh filter basket. I use a Melitta cone filter in addition to that. They claim you can use just the mesh stainless filter basket, but I did not care for that at all. The Chemex pots are beautiful, but the proprietary filters are a bit pricey and not as easily available.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2020 6:38 PM

r5, I had considered that option as well. It seems messy to me to use the stainless steel mesh filter without a paper filter-- good to know you can use a paper filter with it. I find there is a real difference using Melitta filters and regular cheapo filters. r3 and others, does the coffee made with the Chemex taste more complex or delicate or whatever? I would prefer to keep the Hario because it's easier to wash, but I am curious about whether the taste with the Chemex is worth the extra fuss.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2020 6:43 PM

I always read Chemex as Chemsex...

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2020 6:44 PM

[quote][R3] and others, does the coffee made with the Chemex taste more complex or delicate or whatever?

The secret is how you prepare your pour-over.

It's best to use 200° F water (any hotter and you'll scorch the coffee). Wet the entire filter and pour out the water. Add the grounds, and pour just enough water to wet the grounds. Allow them to "bloom" for 30 seconds. Then, pour a little water over at a time, allowing each pour to filter thorough. Do not just fill the funnel and let it all drip at once. Using this method, you can make a decent pour-over in just about any pour-over coffee maker.

The advantages to Chemex are its large funnel size and its filter, which removes some (not all) of the oils in the coffee, resting in a smoother finished product.

One disadvantage to Chemex is the vessel isn't insulated. It should take 3-4 minutes if you're doing it correctly. By the time you finish, the coffee will have cooled significantly. I recommend a Chemex cozy.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2020 7:25 PM

Thanks r8. That's how I make my coffee as it is-- I am very particular and do it right. I think I'm going to keep the Hario and return the Chemex. The advantage of the Chemex seems to be the proprietary filters which remove the oils. All the added fuss is not really worth it to me. I don't care about the design.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2020 7:33 PM

I also read this as chemsex, but then also 'Haribo powder'.

I should get my eyes tested.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2020 8:36 PM

I would prefer the Hario. The Chemex is one piece and it looks like it's hard to clean the bottom part.

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2020 9:04 PM

I chose Kill Yourself because I have no opinion on your other choices. I use a percolator because I'm retro cool, just like these old white haired church folk.

And OP, what the hell is that hanging over the bed? Is that where you toss your damp tissues?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2020 9:09 PM

The Chemex looks like a 70s artifact, great if you want to serve coffee and fondue in your conversation pit.

The Hario is the gold standard among professional coffee people like James Hoffman.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2020 9:10 PM

The photo was for illustrative purposes only! Fuck you all!

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2020 9:11 PM

Thanks r13. I find it hard to believe a Chemex is really better-- the design isn't going to make coffee taste any better and the thought of reheating coffee (apparently another draw of the Chemex) is kind of disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2020 9:12 PM

I’m not sure what the added fuss is with Chemex. The cleaning? I wash mine in the dishwasher.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2020 9:15 PM

All airy fairy nonsense, just buy an espresso machine of decent quality and stop pretending that all this r/coffee Chemex is anything but fuckwittery for hisuite people with man buns that say "like" a lot.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2020 9:18 PM

(And that level of spelling is why I should not post replies with my phone...)

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2020 9:20 PM

I don't really like the taste of espresso as much as brewed coffee.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2020 9:22 PM

Dear R18, says hirsute person with man bun.

Misspell as you may, I admire your turn of phrase.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2020 9:24 PM

Some of you bitches are just too delicate for this world.

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2020 9:26 PM

Ordering a Chemex as I type - I would love to serve fondue to hirsute people with manbuns in my conversation pit.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2020 9:26 PM

Chemex always turns me into a depraved, sleepless manwhore who will wonder the streets and fuck any guy who hits on me for hours on end. It’s fun in the moment but the addiction and withdrawals are none too pleasant. That lifestyle just isn’t for me anymore. If you think that’s bad, just wait until you start slamming espresso. If you keep it up for too long, going back to regular drip is boring, lacks enjoyment and is anti-climactic no matter how hard you brew it.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2020 9:35 PM

Men who look like the OP pic guy don't get so fussy over over at home. They have a small traditional Italian espresso machine such as a DeLonghii and they have stove top Bialetti type moka pot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2020 10:49 PM

Josh Bowman with a designy moka pot.

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2020 10:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2020 10:50 PM

What is fussy about a ceramic filter you put over a cup? You can't get simpler than that. Machines and pots are fussy.

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2020 11:15 PM

You have a point but still, dripping your coffee by hand is fussy prissy and studs in central casting simply don't do it. OP maybe, But not the stud in the pic.

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2020 11:26 PM

The stud in the pic loves my coffee! He also said he thinks you're fat. So fuck you r28!

by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2020 11:28 PM

Boiling or heating water then pouring it into a filtered funnel is pretty basic.

I have a moka pot and it's actually kind of fussy to clean. (Five different parts, unassembled, weird shapes, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 30November 22, 2020 11:31 PM

This glossy stud did not drip his coffee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2020 11:34 PM

Man bun, dip. Case closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 22, 2020 11:35 PM

"Chemex? Only when you add the 's', it's an espresso not depresso coffee for me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2020 9:24 PM

[quote] One disadvantage to Chemex is the vessel isn't insulated. It should take 3-4 minutes if you're doing it correctly. By the time you finish, the coffee will have cooled significantly. I recommend a Chemex cozy.

Before I make the coffee I pour some hot water in the Chemex and let the pot warm up. Then I pour the hot water into the cups and let them warm up while I make the coffee. After I pour the coffee I put the Chemex on the burner I used for boiling the water and the residual heat keeps it warm enough so the refills are still hot.

I had no idea a Chemex cozy even existed. Who knew?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2020 9:39 PM

I think avoiding plastic makes good sense, especially with boiling water and acidic coffee. I use a Japanese Kallita ceramic pour over. It's like Mellita, but with three holes.

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2020 9:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!