Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Angie MacDowell is her generation's Ali MacGraw

A beautiful woman who by most accounts is well-liked off-screen and who was effective in one or two well-made films and otherwise cannot act.

They even have the same initials.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2020 10:37 PM

Who is this Angela MacDowell of whom you write?

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2020 4:16 PM

I'm sure she'd be flattered, but sadly you've given her the wrong name.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2020 4:18 PM

Whoops! Andie and not Angie...

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2020 4:19 PM

Is that egg on my face? I hardly noticed.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2020 4:39 PM

this thread seems appropriate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2020 4:42 PM

I loved Angelina McMuffin in Four Warthogs and a Fungicide!

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2020 4:46 PM

I was an extra in...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2020 4:48 PM

"Angela's the one in her neighborhood who gives trick-or-treaters toothbrushes...pennies...walnuts..."

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2020 7:18 PM

I’ve always enjoyed Annie’s work. Her daughter, Margaret Qualley will be a big star. She’s very good and her performance in Fosse/Verdon was outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2020 7:24 PM

^ANDIE. Fucking spellcheck.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2020 7:24 PM

Count me as a fan of Antwerp.

Angleterre.

Android.

Archipelago.

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2020 7:36 PM

I heard she was quite a biach!

Q Which celebrity did you hate interviewing most?

Richard: Andie McDowell. You asked her how she felt about the way women are treated in Hollywood and she looked at you as if you’d crawled out of the ground. “I can’t get into this with someone like you,’’ she said. Then she stormed off.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2020 7:42 PM

Isn't Angie the younger sister of Veronica?

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2020 7:45 PM

And who the fuck is Richard?

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2020 7:47 PM

I'm almost always polite and diplomatic but if I had to do press junkets I think I would get a reputation for being a dick pretty quickly. Can you imagine being holed up in a hotel room all day with reporters cyling in and out for 10-15 minutes each, all asking the same questions they have to ask about what it's like working with ______, were you nervous to take off your clothes, what was it like kissing _____, and are you seeing anyone special? Jesus. I would be one of those people who snaps and walks away, or at least would say, "I've answered these inane questions for six hours straight. Can we talk about something interesting? Please?"

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2020 7:48 PM

Agreed, OP. Andie MacDowell is a terrible actress--she nearly ruined 4 Weddings and a Funeral for me.

Her daughter Margaret Qualley is much better.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2020 7:50 PM

While MacDowell is no great actress, she is still much better than the awkward, wooden MacGraw, who only gave one good performance in her life - GOODBYE COLUMBUS. In that film she played a spoiled, charming, but ultimately shallow and disingenuous young woman, and she handled it well. But that film represents the sum total of what she could do. Everything after that - including LOVE STORY - just revealed how terribly limited she was. Even Candice Bergen had more going for her, though she gave a lot of terrible performances early on.

MacDowell did well in SEX, LIES & VIDEOTAPE, GROUNDHOG DAY, UNSTRUNG HEROES (particularly good there), and LOVE AFTER LOVE. I think she was also pretty good in HBO's DINNER WITH FRIENDS, but I saw that so long ago, I don't recall.

I've only seen Qualley in FOSSE/VERDON and thought she was the weakest performance in it. She was nothing like the real Ann Reinking, who is a much tougher personality than the mealy-mouthed person Qualley portrayed.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2020 7:55 PM

R14 Richard Madeley, Famous TV presenter in the UK

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2020 7:56 PM

Are you in the right alternate reality, OP?

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2020 8:14 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2020 8:17 PM

I worked with Ann Reinking early in her career. Qualley was spot on. Annie got tougher on the business side as the years went on but she’s an absolute doll to everyone she works with. Dancers adore her.

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2020 9:45 PM

Qualley was one of the best things about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. She held her own with Brad Pitt, which isn't easy to do given his effortless charisma.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2020 10:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!