Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Giant Rats the Size of Rabbits Are Taking Over New York City

[QUOTE]Rats as big as bunnies are roaming the streets in broad daylight, nesting in trees and chewing through car engine wires. “I saw a man on a bench in the rambles swatting them unsuccessfully with a rake.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196May 30, 2021 1:09 AM

Back in the 1950s, my now deceased great aunt, who was the spitting image of Queen Elizabeth the II, btw (weird but true), was sitting on the loo, when a rat scurried up the drain and bit her ass.

Traumatized the poor woman for life.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2020 11:56 AM

Oh, and this happened in Manhattan.

Rats have ruled the city for many decades.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2020 11:57 AM

ANNA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2020 12:00 PM

I still can’t believe the size of that monster.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2020 6:13 PM

What a shithole city.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2020 6:52 PM

[QUOTE]Now the rats have moved on to claiming an entire business for their new rat kingdom. A Chipotle on West 169th street has been taken over by a group of hostile, hungry rats who, workers say, are the size of small cats, love biting humans, and enjoy avocados.

[QUOTE]Workers say that the infestation began a few months ago, and that they reported it to management after the first employee was bitten by a rat in October. The restaurant remained open until November 23, however, the New York Post reports, as the rats continued to fatten themselves on delicious, hearty foods such as rice and, yes, ripe green avocados. Four workers in total have been bitten. Eventually, the rats chewed through the wiring of the online ordering system, triggering a total shutdown, a smart tactic clearly intended to declare ownership of the Mexican restaurant.

[QUOTE]Most dystopian is the fact that workers are still returning to the disputed territory to try and quell the siege, by “stomping on them, smacking them with broom handles, dropping boxes on them and various other medieval methods of extermination.” It’s not uncommon in this bloodbath to hear workers simply begin screaming, one said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2020 8:05 PM

I thought the Trumps moved out of New York? 😳

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2020 8:10 PM

why so many rats in nyc? la doesn't have this problem 😘

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2020 8:10 PM

guess the rats fled LA, as LA has much more bigger issues (crime, homelessness, etc.)? 🤔

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2020 8:14 PM

You monsters! Why would you want to kill a poor, defenseless little kitten?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2020 8:21 PM

New York doesn't mind huge rats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2020 8:21 PM

The Trumps are obviously moving back.

by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2020 8:23 PM

NYC is gross. Don't miss living there for a minute.

by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2020 8:25 PM

NYC is actually the giant rat. What a shit city... "if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" bla bla bla..... should be "if you can be full of shit there, you can be full of shit anywhere"

by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2020 8:26 PM

Well, we need stronger leadership. Let’s hear the rats’ policy proposals before dismissing them out of hand.

by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2020 8:27 PM

R14 totes, most NYers don't know the pearl de la pearl; London. S much livelier and less of the race divide bull crap

by Anonymousreply 16December 9, 2020 8:28 PM

R7, they did, but Bill De Blasio hasn't left.

by Anonymousreply 17December 9, 2020 8:35 PM

I read that NYC's own Pizza Rat is getting a podcast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 9, 2020 8:38 PM

[quote] why so many rats in nyc? la doesn't have this problem 😘

In LA the rats are waiting for you on the casting couch. I’ll take the furry squeaking variety any day.

by Anonymousreply 19December 9, 2020 8:51 PM

Are these outliers or is the average rat size going up, and if so - why? A foreign chemical. It's movie-ready.

"RAT A TAT DIE!"

by Anonymousreply 20December 9, 2020 9:10 PM

People need to start trapping them, and letting them loose in Trump Tower.

by Anonymousreply 21December 9, 2020 9:12 PM

"Ratatouille 2: The Tavern on the Green"

by Anonymousreply 22December 9, 2020 9:13 PM

Los Angeles most certainly does have a rat problem. I've found rodents nesting in my car engines 3 times this past year. I canalso hear them gnawing inside my walls. Depends when one lives I suppose. I'm in the foothills, surrounded by nature.

by Anonymousreply 23December 9, 2020 9:24 PM

I've been to New York many times. I like the museums but it is so overrated and dirty. so dirty.

by Anonymousreply 24December 9, 2020 9:24 PM

I always enjoy NYC buy have never lived there. Why is it so dirty; I was shocked the first time I went. It has to simply be density, right? Chicago is much cleaner, but the area of the city that is as population dense as NYC isn't that big.

by Anonymousreply 25December 9, 2020 9:36 PM

They're huge, nearly life size.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 9, 2020 9:53 PM

A rabbit-sized rat isn’t that big! Jerez, I’ve seen them bigger than that out in the far subway tunnels.

by Anonymousreply 27December 9, 2020 9:53 PM

Yes, nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 28December 9, 2020 9:56 PM

"Good vermin on both sides."

by Anonymousreply 29December 9, 2020 10:16 PM

I'm gunna raise me some rats as big as ya head!

by Anonymousreply 30December 9, 2020 10:20 PM

I'm in northern California (Sacramento). I grew up here in the 70s and '80s and live in the same nice neighborhood. We didn't really have a rat problem. You certainly never saw them. When I moved back after years away (including 15 in Chicago where I saw plenty of them), I was surprised to spot them here.

We had a construction boom over the last couple of decades, especially the the last 10 years or so and lots of rat nests (and coyote dens) got disturbed. The rats dispersed to other parts of town. You began to see those heavy plastic bait boxes everywhere. . To compound the problem, the homeless leave enormous quantities of uneaten food strewn everywhere. The rats and coyotes feast.

Last year a utility pole near my back yard started smoldering one drizzly day. Apparently, the power couldn't be turned off and the Fire Department couldn't do anything to put the fire out. The surrounding homes had to be evacuated in case the pole toppled and electrified the ground. The suspect? A rat that chewed through the wiring overnight.

At least they're not thigh sized here.

by Anonymousreply 31December 9, 2020 10:45 PM

I’m not sure I’d eat the tacos in that Chipotle, R6...

by Anonymousreply 32December 9, 2020 10:47 PM

In Los An"Ga"Leez, (ugh!) we have citrus rats. Aka roof rats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 9, 2020 10:51 PM

The Chipotle infestation is truly vile.

by Anonymousreply 34December 9, 2020 11:34 PM

Once tourists come back, we reopen Autumn Harvest buffet and rat population go down again.

by Anonymousreply 35December 9, 2020 11:36 PM

The reporter who wrote up the bit about the Chipotle is failing in their duty as a citizen, if they don't turn over the location of that particular Chipotle to the NYC health department. A place like that should not be open and serving food to an unsuspecting public.

by Anonymousreply 36December 9, 2020 11:38 PM

What's particularly awful is that they didn't close for fumigation and sanitation until the rats had chewed through the wiring in their computer system and they couldn't take orders anymore! 😲

by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2020 11:40 PM

This is a common story in newspapers & magazines. I knew some NY writers in the 90s, so I was quoted in various articles about rats “taking over NYC,” which was a subject that was recycled at least once a year.

Rats are always in NYC. Their population rises and falls due to food supply, floods, cold weather, predation, etc. They have favorite areas - yes, subway tunnels are a big favorite for rats. They instinctively go underground. Anywhere there is soft dirt is a fun spot for rats, so if you live near a cemetery in NYC, you've got rats living near you. Not because they eat buried bodies but because soft dirt = easy to dig, easy to make tunnels & nests. A food source like a restaurant will bring rats. Bird feeders can bring rats. Abandoned buildings. Summer houses are a fun winter abode for rats.

Just because you see a lot of rats doesn’t mean the earth is being “taken over.” It could mean a food source has been removed, like a restaurants closing down. Or a tunnel has been flooded. Or poison has been put somewhere and the rats are disoriented & dying. Or an infested building was torn down. You will see rats because they are out in the open looking for new housing or for food that’s no longer close to their nests.

Rats are out looking for food now because fewer people are out on the street during the pandemic. NYers are pigs and will just throw food they’re finished eating in the street and the garbage pails on the streets are overflowing. Notice you always see pigeons scrabbling around in the dirt under trees as you walk down the street. And you’ll see crumbs, bits of muffins or rolls or the ends of a sandwich under the trees. That’s why pigeons are there. Well, when pigeons go to bed, the rats come out & eat whatever is left. Since the pandemic, far fewer people are outside walking, so there’s far less edible litter. Nobody is eating as they walk down the street. They’ve got masks on.

So rats are traveling to find food and there’s more competition from other rats for the scraps that are out there. You’re gonna see more rats in some places. It’s normal. But a lot of those rats are goung to die of starvation, so the city won’t be taken over anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2020 11:45 PM

It's in the Heights and it is sickening to read about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2020 11:48 PM

I need me some tougher rats.

by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2020 11:49 PM

After reading this thread I am in need of a fainting couch.

by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2020 11:52 PM

Breaking: Mayor de Blasio plans to release 100,000 snakes to eat all the rats.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2020 11:55 PM

Omfg

by Anonymousreply 43December 10, 2020 12:03 AM

Florida has plenty of pythons who could take of those rats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 10, 2020 2:21 AM

Do humpback whales eat rats?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 10, 2020 2:52 AM

R39 - on more than one occasion in April / May of the pandemic I saw obviously starving rats slowly dragging themselves around Hell’s Kitchen in the middle of the day.

by Anonymousreply 46December 10, 2020 3:27 AM

The Duke would know how to fix New York

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2020 3:38 AM

We should start eating them, as we do with lobsters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 10, 2020 3:46 AM

Are they from Sumatra?

by Anonymousreply 49December 10, 2020 3:56 AM

These are the ones from Suatra

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 10, 2020 4:47 AM

I've seen evidence of rats on the leftover pumpkin displays from Halloween and Thanksgiving. Bite marks, which become more numerous, every time I pass by on my walks.

At least the rats are getting their Vitamin A and fiber needs met.

I've seen those plastic bait boxes, mentioned above, at various points south of City Hall here in Philly. Occasionally one will have been destroyed, plastic shards and bait strewn over the sidewalk. Is this being done by animal lovers, just for kicks or are rats strong enough to smash them looking for food?

by Anonymousreply 51December 10, 2020 5:26 AM

I've seen numerous rats destroy those black rodent boxes, plastic shards everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 52December 10, 2020 5:31 AM

I hate that our ignore function doesn't function. I would love to ignore this thread, but it just returns. I dry heave every time I see OP's link to the super rat.

by Anonymousreply 53December 10, 2020 5:35 AM

[Quote]I've seen those plastic bait boxes, mentioned above, at various points south of City Hall here in Philly. Occasionally one will have been destroyed, plastic shards and bait strewn over the sidewalk

Oh, goodness! No eve of destruction decimated boxes in N. Cal , but I suppose that might be next. It sounds like E. Coast dwelling rats are not only smaller, but less aggressive?

by Anonymousreply 54December 10, 2020 6:01 AM

Correction:

It sounds like WEST Coast dwelling rats are not only smaller, but less aggressive? Late...

by Anonymousreply 55December 10, 2020 6:03 AM

Could some of these be opossums? They look very much like rats.

by Anonymousreply 56December 10, 2020 6:40 AM

I got attacked by a rat in rodeo. They are very sophisticated and love french food. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 57December 10, 2020 6:55 AM

[QUOTE] I've seen those plastic bait boxes, mentioned above, at various points south of City Hall here in Philly. Occasionally one will have been destroyed, plastic shards and bait strewn over the sidewalk. Is this being done by animal lovers, just for kicks or are rats strong enough to smash them looking for food?

[QUOTE] I've seen numerous rats destroy those black rodent boxes, plastic shards everywhere.

Jesus, these monstrous mutant rats might be unstoppable.

by Anonymousreply 58December 10, 2020 6:57 AM

r56 I see an opossum occasionally, they seem to favor wet places: dripping hydrants, rain puddles, jettisoned fast food drinks, etc. If rats ever get THAT size, I'm never going out again.

I think even Granny Clampett would be amazed.

by Anonymousreply 59December 10, 2020 7:13 AM

Nyc always has had these giant rats. Something must have caused their population explosion.

by Anonymousreply 60December 10, 2020 7:52 AM

Several things are going on all over NYC atm that has lead to an increase in rat sightings, and or actual population.

First and foremost the nearly two decade long construction boom has lead to countless buildings being demolished and or ground dug up. Both situations disturb rats who normally live underground, and or in buildings.

Next NYC is fast becoming a subtropical climate, we just don't get winters with prolonged periods of cold or freezing temps anymore. Rats will breed long as temps remain above freezing long as other conditions are favorable. Several years ago we had a really bad winter with bitter cold average temps for several weeks. Rat population along with other wildlife declined as a result.

The other main part of all this is human activity. They don't call certain species of rats and mice "commensal rodents" for no reason.

All over city from subways to above ground there is simply tons of food for rats and mice to eat. From the deluded idiots who pour bags of birdseed on streets to "feed the pigeons" to people who throw half or not eaten food on ground in streets and parks. Then there is fact both residential and commercial garbage is placed on NYC streets in plastic bin liners. Those bags (or even not rodent proof trash cans or containers) are like a open buffet for rats and mice.

If those trash bags aren't at curb they are adjacent, near buildings if not in basements or other areas. Again where ever you store trash you'll soon have a rodent problem if you don't look out.

Roots for this all began when city banned incinerators and buildings from burning trash (those chutes you still see in many buildings once lead to incinerators). The plan was to then increase trash collection to three times per week at least so buildings in theory wouldn't have to store rubbish for more than a few days. It hasn't worked out well for many reasons.

First even a small brownstone or five story walk-up multifamily generates plenty of trash on a daily basis. Even brownstones or row houses occupied by a single family generates lots of garbage. It all is again stored in or near buildings which attract rats. They come up from storm sewers, cracks in pavement or curb, tree beds, etc... and make a bee line for food.

Unlike mice who can get water from their food sources rats must drink. The Norway rat tends to live near sources of water for that reason. In many parts of Manhattan and elsewhere there are long ago buried streams, ponds, and other places where water is easily found. For those living on Fifth Avenue of CPW rats from Central Park are a constant menace. The park is full of rats because as a natural area it provides them with everything they need (food, water, shelter), but they frequently will cross over either avenue to the properties along same.

From about low sixties to well into 80's or 90's on CPS and blocks going towards Columbus there are tons of rats. You walk up CPW from 72nd and notice nearly every building has rat bait stations or traps in the planting beds in front.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 10, 2020 8:05 AM

There have been some success stories in city of late regarding war on rats.

A group of concerned citizens cleaned up and restored Verdi Park at 72nd street by first getting rid of a really bad rat problem.

Verdi Park of course sits above 72nd street subway station and most subway lines in Manhattan are infested with rats. It only takes a few to learn their way "up" to begin an infestation of anything above. This is again reason why buildings along CPW have a huge problem with rats, the 8th avenue subway runs under Central Park West.

If you've ever taken subway along that stretch of CPW you know soon as you get below grade can see, hear and smell water. It comes down from in or along Central Park, plus whatever drains and other devices are on streets or in system to remove water. Again rats love/need water....

by Anonymousreply 62December 10, 2020 8:12 AM

Finally the other reason rats are getting out of control lately is due to covid-19.

With so many restaurants and other places that prepare/serve food closed rats that normally confine their territory to a particular area now find there isn't food. So they start branching out in search of what they can find.

It isn't just places you normally assume either; all those Starbucks, Maison Kayser, pizza joins and other similar places that sold various "fast" sort of food (and threw tons of it away nightly), have closed or scaled things back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 10, 2020 8:17 AM

How about placing rubbish in containers with lids like every other city in America. Why do restaurants and stores leave refuse on the sidewalk - in trash BAGS. Is NYC that behind the times? HELLO...you need to put your shit in a trash bin with a lid!

by Anonymousreply 64December 10, 2020 8:26 AM

Use science and make these rats infertile. When they can't breed they will die off.

by Anonymousreply 65December 10, 2020 8:37 AM

Years ago all trash had to go out in metal containers with tight fitting lids. True some buildings/households didn't and in certain areas that was more common than others, hence those areas also had high rat infestation problems.

After city banned incarceration it soon compounded the problem by allowing households and businesses to throw away trash in plastic bags.

Part of this was due to complaints by residents of the noise DSNY made when picking up and heaving those metal cans all over. Later another more economic reason came about, sanitation could move from three man crews (one man driving with two men picking up trash), to two men crews.

So now you have lots of commercial (especially from supermarkets, food places, etc...) and residential trash left at curb or near/in buildings in nothing but plastic bags that are no match for rat's teeth. Have walked down blocks to see trash bags "moving" due to rat activity inside. Looks like a bunch of puppies fighting under a blanket.

by Anonymousreply 66December 10, 2020 8:37 AM

R65

They're trying something like that already......

Problem with aiming to control rats by any sort of bait poison is getting them to consume the stuff is often no easy feat.

Rats cannot vomit, so they are cautious about new foods. They nibble at something then move on; if they begin to feel ill (but don't die) they won't touch that bait again. Worse the affected rat will pee on said bait as warning to others. If a rat does die of a certain bait if others smell it on the carcass they won't eat it either.

Thus the more effective rodent baits are those which are slow acting, thus rat will consume a lethal or whatever dose while not feeling any tell tale signs of illness. When it does die it is usually at nest or somewhere away from where bait was placed so other rats don't make the connection.

Of course there are fast killing poisons, but they also have a nasty habit of killing other animals and or humans. Strychnine, arsenic, thallium, and some other equally nasty substances were all once (and still used in many parts of world) as rodentcides. You could pop round to local chemists and ask for some arsenic to deal with rats that were keeping you up at night (like M. Bovary), and off yourself, your husband, father or anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 67December 10, 2020 8:46 AM

R67. Can you refer good chemist?

by Anonymousreply 68December 10, 2020 9:34 AM

If people would just befriend the furry little fellows, take them in, feed them and look after them, this problem wouldn't happen. New Yorkers are so cold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 10, 2020 10:14 AM

Light weights

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 10, 2020 10:46 AM

r67 The slow-acting type of poison you mention is how D-Con works, it's active ingredient is warfarin/coumadin, an anti-coagulant. Sounds nasty and messy, but mice and rats always seem to go for it.

I seem to recall, some years ago, of a rodenticide that interfered with the rat's aborption/use of Vitamin D. After consumption the rat's bones begin to soften and the little bastard ultimately collapses.

I'm sure the big pest control companies don't want any sort of birth control product for rodents. I fear for the scientist who comes up with one, they'd take him out in a heartbeat. Kinda' like that guy who figured out how to make a water-powered internal combustion engine for automobiles. I wonder whatever became of him???

by Anonymousreply 71December 10, 2020 10:47 AM

Exterminator buddy once told me almost every building in NYC has mice or rats in at least the basements, especially if there is any sort of food service in building.

That is one reason I never have nor will live above a restaurant, supermarket, deli, or any place else that sells food.

Why do you think all those bodegas have cats on premises?????????????

by Anonymousreply 72December 10, 2020 10:48 AM

[quote] Do humpback whales eat rats?

I have caught fish that had a whole mouse in its stomach

by Anonymousreply 73December 10, 2020 10:58 AM

Am I the only one who thinks rats are cute? There has to be another way to take care of them without killing them.

by Anonymousreply 74December 10, 2020 11:09 AM

If there ever was a post that cries out for pictures, yours is it, r73.

by Anonymousreply 75December 10, 2020 11:10 AM

New York is ours, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 76December 10, 2020 11:57 AM

Love them as a child would and they will befriend you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 10, 2020 1:10 PM

R18, why? Are they also being molested by us limousine liberals and our queen Hillz?

And let’s not forget Tom Hanks. He LOVES his rats YOUNG.

by Anonymousreply 78December 10, 2020 2:32 PM

R21 - they are all booked in terms of rats.

by Anonymousreply 79December 10, 2020 10:52 PM

Historical tidbit: Bellevue hospital once was known as "Rat Hospital" because the place was infested with vermin.

Until city forced all shipping to west side there were docks along East River from Whitehall Street up to UES, and where you have ships and water, you'll get rats. That is how the Norway rat arrived in NYC, Boston, all over USA and really was exported around the world, via ships.

Until landfill added mass (which created among other things FDR Drive), Bellevue hospital was right up against the shoreline. Human activity being a huge draw for rats they soon set up camp and have never wholly left area. Even today parts of East Village and Lower East Side are heavily infested with rat colonies.

Other interesting tidbit is that recent DNA testing showed rats in NYC don't move around much as many would believe. Rats in an area of say LES are genetically different than those say in Harlem, versus those in Chelsea, etc.... This likely means rats in these areas are descendants of original vermin who arrived many generations ago.

Yes sewers, subway tunnels and tons of other things underground allow rats to travel rather easily undetected. But rats are also territorial creatures. One or more can only move into a new area if there aren't already other rats of same species present. If they are then there will be a turf war with resident rats seeking to repel invaders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 10, 2020 11:18 PM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 10, 2020 11:20 PM

When you get down to it virtually all cities/urban areas built along, above, adjacent or whatever to bodies of water have rat problems.

London, Paris, Boston, San Francisco, Denver, etc... all are areas built near, around or above bodies of water. Rats arrived on ships, barges or other means, and or hitched rides in cargo shipped on trains or other means.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 11, 2020 4:34 AM

now they are walking on two legs with a boner :o

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 28, 2021 5:06 PM

The people living on the UWS are heartless and cruel. They deserve to see biblical plagues cast upon their neighborhood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 28, 2021 5:35 PM

Saw a big ‘un on East 83rd yesterday. With his legs in the air, it was kind of funny. There’s a new building going up across the street, I assume it’s where it came from.

by Anonymousreply 85April 28, 2021 5:38 PM

R85, that rat is a straight up WHORE!

by Anonymousreply 86April 28, 2021 5:56 PM

I'll never forget when that Mike guy on Dirty Jobs went in the sewer system in San Fran and there were tons of rats. Unsurprising - the kicker was that many were covered with roaches.

by Anonymousreply 87April 28, 2021 9:59 PM

One of the true blessings of the Covid crisis was that mean, dumb cunts like the ones on this thread didn't come to NYC and complain about it all the time.

Please don't come back. We don't need you. Stay wherever it is you are and never leave.

by Anonymousreply 88April 28, 2021 10:04 PM

A massive failure of imagination on behalf of the NY Post and its inability to find a way to blame black people.

Or Kamala Harris.

Or gender-neutral Mr. Potato Head.

by Anonymousreply 89April 28, 2021 10:08 PM

And?

by Anonymousreply 90April 28, 2021 10:09 PM

R89, what does the Post blame black people for, aside from things they actually do (like stomp on Asian people's heads)?

by Anonymousreply 91April 28, 2021 10:39 PM

Recently they tried to blame a black person (Kamala Harris) for inserting her book into welcome bags for all refugees and profiting off it. That was a lie.

by Anonymousreply 92April 28, 2021 11:03 PM

[quote][R89], what does the Post blame black people for, aside from things they actually do (like stomp on Asian people's heads)?

Bitch I'm not here to do your research for you. They've demonized black people for at the past 40 years.

Thanks for poking your racist little head out for blocking though. Bye bye cracker.

by Anonymousreply 93April 28, 2021 11:19 PM

Which Trump is that in the picture?

by Anonymousreply 94April 28, 2021 11:25 PM

We are also reading your mail, looking at your pictures and laughing at you, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 95April 29, 2021 12:11 AM

just had the rat exterminator pass by

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 29, 2021 4:17 AM

It's like that Sherlock Holmes story, The Giant Rat of Sinatra!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 29, 2021 4:30 AM

If that rats are now that big, how big are the rabbits then?

by Anonymousreply 98April 29, 2021 4:34 AM

Shouldn't that be The Giant Rat Pack of Sinatra?

by Anonymousreply 99April 29, 2021 4:38 AM

the biggest rats are the government and the big tech corporations

by Anonymousreply 100April 29, 2021 4:52 AM

You didn't include the best part, r6: "There is no stopping a rat who has figured out they don’t have to pay extra for guacamole, not anymore, not ever."

by Anonymousreply 101April 29, 2021 4:02 PM

[quote]why so many rats in nyc? la doesn't have this problem 😘

You must not live here.

by Anonymousreply 102April 29, 2021 4:11 PM

[quote]guess the rats fled LA, as LA has much more bigger issues (crime, homelessness, etc.)?🤔

Yeah, crime and homelessness is absolutely not a thing in NY!

Also -- "much more bigger"?

by Anonymousreply 103April 29, 2021 4:16 PM

R102 The most disturbing thing I discovered moving to LA was that rats nest at the top of Palm Trees and some of them live their whole lives there. Others can drop out of the trees and land on you. Those Palm Trees lost their beauty and romanticism very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 104April 29, 2021 5:11 PM

Why don't they introduce a bunch of foxes into Central Park?

by Anonymousreply 105April 29, 2021 5:21 PM

Foxes and coyotes eat small dogs and cats. They are easier to catch. People's pets disappear and they don't know why. Don't let them outside. Coyotes and foxes are gobbling them up in Austin. It possible they could eat close to100 cats. kittens. dogs and puppies a day. It's horrible.

by Anonymousreply 106April 29, 2021 5:26 PM

R105 Secondary poisoning can occur when carnivores eat rats that may have ingested poison.

by Anonymousreply 107April 29, 2021 5:28 PM

Minks and ferrets are very effective rat catchers. They can get into places Foxes and Coyotes can't. They also go after pets, too. They have discovered that raccoons and rats cooperate and divide up territories. They will also share food.

by Anonymousreply 108April 29, 2021 5:36 PM

People in rat-infested cities should own terriers (substantial ones, not the useless designer/teacup/-poo ones). They're natural rat killers, and they really LOVE their work!

by Anonymousreply 109April 29, 2021 6:12 PM

Cats don't really care about killing vermin. But rat terriers are OBSESSED with killing rats.

by Anonymousreply 110April 29, 2021 9:41 PM

why don't you just eat the rats yourselves? it appears to be a delicacy in some countries....

by Anonymousreply 111April 30, 2021 8:24 AM

NY cats have better things to do

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 30, 2021 8:25 AM

Florida cats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 30, 2021 8:37 AM

obsessive compulsive cats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 30, 2021 8:48 AM

LA cats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115April 30, 2021 8:49 AM

vegan cat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116April 30, 2021 9:26 AM

R36 that takes me back. As a teen, I ended up anonymously reporting the local bakery I worked at to the Health & Safety authorities because it was crawling with rats.

Now these were only small country-town riverside rats, clean and brown and the size of tennis ball. But there were tons of them, and you can’t have that around food.

It’s a nightmare to work a physically-taxing full day in food-service on your feet, and also constantly be on psychological alert for something crawling over a counter or up a an oven-side. I could not relax for a single minute while at work, and it put me off eating food outside of work too.

And I was ostensibly the first one to spot them, too—my much-older coworker at the time insisted she couldn’t see them and thought I was seeing them or making it up (she was probably covering her ass, but there again her eyesight was poor and she wasn’t observant as a personality).

To this day, I’m not sure whether my former employers (now ‘retired’) ever figured out who reported them.

by Anonymousreply 117April 30, 2021 9:28 AM

California cat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 30, 2021 11:25 AM

Russian cats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 30, 2021 11:33 AM

Belgian cats who were tossed from the tower in Spring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120April 30, 2021 4:56 PM

[quote]NY cats have better things to do

Indeed they do!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 30, 2021 7:56 PM

Shhhh! My cat is already paranoid!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 30, 2021 8:07 PM

Our neighborhood experienced a minor rat infestation, you started seeing all those rat traps everywhere. Two things helped. First, a colony of feral cats moved in and feasted. Then hawks bomb-dived the rats and carried them away. To see a hawk flying away with the little guy in his claws was kind of sad.

My own cat, Nube, started killing them, too, leading to horrific fights to get the carcass away from her so she wouldn't eat it. While I threw most away triple-wrapped in plastic in closed garbage containers, she left one corpse on the porch. A strange bird showed up and after googling it, I realized it was a vulture! I shooed it away and disposed of the body myself.

The circle of life. The rats have moved on.

by Anonymousreply 123April 30, 2021 8:18 PM

The rats are sick of hiding, their all coming out now.

by Anonymousreply 124April 30, 2021 8:22 PM

Where is Mrs. Frisby when you need her, she always kept them organized and in line.

by Anonymousreply 125April 30, 2021 9:52 PM

So, anywhere else, these would be Rodents of Unusual Size?

by Anonymousreply 126April 30, 2021 11:22 PM

Norwegian cats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 3, 2021 4:48 PM

vegetarian cat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 3, 2021 4:54 PM

I can remember back in the day I was getting a blow job in the Ramble and a rat ran up to me. I think it was looking to get a taste of my load.

by Anonymousreply 129May 3, 2021 4:56 PM

[quote] Now these were only small country-town riverside rats, clean and brown and the size of tennis ball. But there were tons of them, and you can’t have that around food.

Clean?

by Anonymousreply 130May 3, 2021 5:03 PM

Harlem rat exterminator

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131May 3, 2021 5:44 PM

R130 ‘clean’, relatively-speaking. A rural rat is not going to be quite such an extreme vector for disease as an urbane one. Still to be approached with caution, though.

by Anonymousreply 132May 3, 2021 6:53 PM

I want to know the dumbass was who came up with the idea to import possum to control the rat population because we deal with both now. Did it not occur to them that possum fuck and reproduce? I fortunately never see rats in my part of Brooklyn, but I see possum on my cameras overnight. Now I'm seeing raccoons, too.

You'd think I was living in PA at this point.

by Anonymousreply 133May 3, 2021 7:11 PM

who* the dumbass

by Anonymousreply 134May 3, 2021 7:11 PM

r133 - yes possums mate and have babies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135May 3, 2021 8:21 PM

Where oh where are all the chonky cats when ya need em?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136May 3, 2021 8:28 PM

But possums are highly unlikely to carry and transmit rabies.

by Anonymousreply 137May 3, 2021 8:52 PM

R137, but they're ugly as sin.

by Anonymousreply 138May 3, 2021 8:53 PM

R138 Not to all of us!

by Anonymousreply 139May 3, 2021 8:54 PM

NY needs this breed of cat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140May 4, 2021 7:08 AM

catman with his catmobile

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141May 4, 2021 7:31 AM

maybe these are better candidates for the catman vacancy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142May 4, 2021 7:45 AM

try this assassin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143May 4, 2021 8:25 AM

The city needs squads of Rat terriers. RT will fall over dead from exhaustion before they could ignore a rat. They are obsessed little dogs.

by Anonymousreply 144May 4, 2021 9:04 AM

A rat's enemy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145May 4, 2021 9:07 AM

More birds of prey released in the parks!

by Anonymousreply 146May 4, 2021 9:07 AM

My uncle would take his rat terrier to a different farm every Sunday. The dog would kill rats in the barn all afternoon, he never ate them like some of the dogs in the video. When my uncle was ready to go home the farmer would feed the dog a plate of mashed potatoes and Buddy would sleep like the dead in the backseat of the car. He was a celebrity in the farming community because he piled his rats as he killed them.

by Anonymousreply 147May 4, 2021 9:20 AM

They have one, R144! (they need more)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148May 4, 2021 10:39 AM

r146

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149May 5, 2021 7:16 AM

R148, I would pay higher taxes if they hired tons of those people who actually got rid of them.

by Anonymousreply 150May 5, 2021 4:55 PM

There's a guy in Utah who trains MINKS and dogs (working together) to perform rat-eradication on farms & ranches. The mink flush the rats out of their burrows/holes/tight spaces, and the dogs kill them as they flee (but don't eat them). The mink are trained to bring any rats they kill out of the holes/burrows, and "cache" them in a special box that he built. It's kind of amazing.

Perhaps Mayor DeBlasio should give him a call.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151May 5, 2021 8:24 PM

I recall watching the mink do his thing. Amazing. Lighting-speed.

by Anonymousreply 152May 5, 2021 8:36 PM

Minks, ferrets, and weasels in past and still all have been used for ratting, a practice that goes back 100 years or more.

Going back to Victorian period or before in UK, Europe and even USA people earned a good living clearing homes, barns, farms, etc.. of rats using nothing more than ferrets and certain breeds of dog, usually terriers.

Together these "exterminators" can quickly and effectively clear an area or building of rats faster than using poison or traps. Only gassing is more effective IIRC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153May 5, 2021 8:47 PM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154May 5, 2021 8:49 PM

New York City needs more of this....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 5, 2021 8:50 PM

Oh hell no

by Anonymousreply 156May 5, 2021 8:51 PM

Rodent problem is getting worse on UES/UWS especially near or in Central Park due to less use of rodenticides due to outrage from environmentalists and nature groups. City has become home to more and more raptors like hawks, falcons, owls and even eagles that feed on rodents. Thus poisoned rats or mice end up killing those birds by collateral damage. It's same thing down by Tompkins Square park and others as well.

by Anonymousreply 157May 5, 2021 8:54 PM

I wouldn't live in NYC again if you gave me a nice big 3 bedroom apartment with Park views. Fuck that place. So poorly managed and filthy.

by Anonymousreply 158May 5, 2021 9:03 PM

Cicero, commenting on the absurdity of the prevalent belief in prodigies in his treatise on Divination, remarked that, if reliance were to be placed in omens then he ought naturally to tremble for the safety of the Commonwealth, because mice had recently nibbled a copy of Plato's "Republic" in his library.

Pliny wrote that rats foretold the Marsian war (B. C. 89) by destroying silver shields and bucklers at Lavinium, an ancient city near Rome. According to him, rats also prognosticated the death of the Roman general Carbo by eating his hose-garters and shoe-strings at Clusium, the modern Chiusi in Etruria.

by Anonymousreply 159May 6, 2021 1:07 PM

^ This is why I love DL

by Anonymousreply 160May 6, 2021 3:55 PM

r151 awesome, thx for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 161May 7, 2021 5:59 AM

the joke is on us humans. buy disturbing the natural order, the predators that would have kept these rodents at bay have either been made extinct, driven away or domesticated (such as dogs, cats and ferrets)

by Anonymousreply 162May 7, 2021 6:00 AM

Commensel rodents (Norway rat, the roof rat, and the house mouse) have no real predators, this is one of reasons why they make homes around or close to humans. Yes, in wild rodents of all sorts have predators, and that still exists with owls, hawks, snakes, feral cats, etc... among others all prey upon rats and mice.

Whatever native rats existed in New York as in other places outside of Europe were soon chased or killed off by arrival of Europeans who bought Norway (aka brown) rats along with house mice on their ships.

by Anonymousreply 163May 7, 2021 9:21 AM

Make that "Commensal", hit post button too soon...

Carry on..

by Anonymousreply 164May 7, 2021 9:21 AM

rats aren't only useless

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165May 7, 2021 10:11 AM

problem with domesticated animals:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166May 8, 2021 3:07 PM

I am sure her voice will kill all of the NYC rats (and maybe some humans)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167May 8, 2021 5:49 PM

use that one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168May 8, 2021 5:50 PM

Rats the size of rabbits have been in New York City for decades

by Anonymousreply 169May 8, 2021 5:53 PM

COVID cat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170May 9, 2021 5:59 PM

didn't get the brief

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171May 9, 2021 6:00 PM

if you would just let him in, he might take care of the problem....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172May 10, 2021 10:58 AM

I'm totally ignorant as i have only ever seen one wild rat and my friends pet rats. Why do they go for the cars? Is it for the heat? I don't understand. I also think that all trash bags should be sprayed with rat poison if they sit outside too long. I really feel sorry for those suffering this nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 173May 10, 2021 11:16 AM

R173 not sure, but I think it's natural rodent behavior to chew on wires. Squirrels, mice, chipmunks, rats, etc., all reek havoc on wiring in cars, homes, and outside. You can coat wires with chemicals like brake fluid, but it's too mean for me to follow through with.

I think the issue with killing out of control populations, in already sparce spaces, is that other ones often take their place. They see that with Canadian geese when they try mass culling. The best thing to do is make it uncomfortable by not leaving food around, having other animals around as a threat, and blocking access -- problem is that in a city, they will always be there, but at least they could try to do better with their garbage clean up.

Climate change is definitely not helping matters either. Breeding times are being extended. Animals are changing behaviors (like geese staying winters). They're getting too comfortable with people because there's less and less free space for them to live and the same goes for the predators that kept them controlled.

by Anonymousreply 174May 10, 2021 1:41 PM

R174

It's natural behavior for all rodent to gnaw (chew if you will) at anything. Their teeth continue to grow for entire life so must be ground down by constantly gnawing at things....

by Anonymousreply 175May 10, 2021 5:32 PM

That is terrifying. Hot, sweaty, bitey, possum rats living side by side with humans.

by Anonymousreply 176May 11, 2021 1:56 PM

cats at work! maybs the economic stimulus plan should take an example....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177May 12, 2021 1:36 PM

R175 yes, good point. They do chew on anything they can get to. Wires are probably just easier to get to, and end up a casualty. When I had rabbits, they'd chew on anything they could.

by Anonymousreply 178May 12, 2021 1:43 PM

R177, Pussy COntrol!

by Anonymousreply 179May 12, 2021 1:48 PM

Hard Hat Cats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180May 12, 2021 10:43 PM

Back in the 70's/80's I saw rats that big on Canal Street late at night.

This is nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 181May 12, 2021 10:46 PM

Problem with using cats as ratters is they only will kill when hungry. On that score owls and other raptors can decimate rat populations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182May 12, 2021 10:50 PM

Although cats are not highly effective rat-KILLERS (like, say, Terriers)....as the articles above point out, their mere presence in certain places -- such as warehouses, breweries, bodegas, etc -- will keep rodents away. They can smell the cats' pheremones.

by Anonymousreply 183May 12, 2021 11:06 PM

People starting hating rats and mice because they ate the stored grain that was once the only source of food over the winter.

You need to chill the eff out. They are not inherently evil. They are in fact intelligent mammals.

by Anonymousreply 184May 12, 2021 11:15 PM

R183

Yes, and no....

Numerous studies conducted in say barns on farms and elsewhere have proven that while sightings of rats may decrease in presence of cats, that does not translate into reduced numbers. Rather that rats (which understandably after centuries of being prey upon by felines) simply learned to avoid.

In studies say on barns cats were allowed free roam of the place to control rats. Ordinarily yes, signs or sightings of live rats did decrease to some extent. But when cats were removed, structure gassed, then floor boards and or walls opened up rats galore were found.

That woman Sheila Massey and others like her are deluded and their thinking somewhat clouded by love of cats. Studies conducted under proper scientific conditions again repeatedly shows cats feral or domestic do not make huge differences in rat populations.

Yes, rats know cats are about so they take proper precautions... A cat may catch the young or otherwise unaware rat, but there are plenty more to take its place.

In fact these deluded individuals much like those who pour heaps of bird seen out in public places actually contribute to rodent populations by leaving out cat food. What felines don't eat rats or mice will. More to point a well fed cat has no reason to go after a rat or even mouse because it isn't hungry. A female cat who is mothering kittens (and or in cases male) might catch rats or mice and "stun them", bring them back home in order to teach kittens what they need to know, but otherwise that's all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185May 12, 2021 11:21 PM

And I'm tell ya those pussy cats are quick.....

by Anonymousreply 186May 13, 2021 1:17 AM

new assassin candidate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187May 13, 2021 7:54 AM

ninja cat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188May 14, 2021 2:12 PM

Great r145. But can you use them in the city?

by Anonymousreply 189May 14, 2021 3:24 PM

Get all owners of terrier dogs to meet in the parks at night.

by Anonymousreply 190May 17, 2021 2:44 PM

I don’t think terriers are any match for these beasts.

by Anonymousreply 191May 17, 2021 2:49 PM

R191

Wrong!

"The gameness of the early hunting terriers was exploited by using them in sporting contests. Initially, terriers competed in events such as clearing a pit of rats. The dog that was fastest in killing all the rats won. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192May 18, 2021 10:32 AM

Aptly named "rat" terrier..

"In conjunction with the American rat terrier, it was reported that one of the sports of owning them was making competitive wagers about whose dog could kill the most mice or rats within a given time. One terrier was released into a barn, and in 7 hours it killed 2501 rats"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193May 18, 2021 10:40 AM

Mouse caught on video chowing down in a Manhattan Whole Foods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194May 28, 2021 7:10 PM

There are mice or rats (the two normally don't coexist in same space as the latter will prey upon former), in almost every place that sells or prepares food in NYC. Mice in particular are difficult to keep out because their small size means can get through the tiniest gaps or holes.

No, you don't always see them, but in the basements or walls.... they are there (mice).

That Whole Foods in Deutsche Bank (yes, I said it correctly, DB is moving in and replacing Time Warner as main tenant hence name change...), sits right above major subway station (Columbus Circle). Subway system is full of rodents and they will make their way up into buildings sometimes despite best efforts to keep them out.

Grand Central Terminal and Met Life Building are full of rats. This in some instances on floors of Met Life Building way above ground level....

If you ever had a talk with NYC exterminators you'd never eat out or order food in again. You might not even want to buy things from shops or supermarkets. Customers all the time pick up loaves of bread, boxes or bags of grain, cookies, potato chips, or whatever only to find nibble marks, small or large holes. All indications of rodents have been munching away...

by Anonymousreply 195May 29, 2021 12:29 AM

Rats and mice are some of the most odious creatures alive. I don't know why anyone wants to keep one as a pet. Or why people use those so-called "humane" traps so they can catch them and re-release them somewhere else, so they can become someone else's problem. Kill them every time you see them.

by Anonymousreply 196May 30, 2021 1:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!