Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump ended the Iraq and Afghanistan wars this week and no one cares

If you had told me that 15 years ago, I would have been overjoyed and beyond confused. Donald Trump?

by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2020 1:41 PM

Yes, troops should have been brought home long ago.

The wars kept going to prop up our economy.

Trump is fine bringing them home because he wants to economy to collapse under Biden

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2020 1:27 AM

Afghanistan, destroyer of empires

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2020 1:28 AM

NO ONE CARES šŸ¤”

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2020 1:32 AM

I donā€™t really care do you? šŸ‘©

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2020 1:32 AM

We still have troops in Japan and Germany.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2020 1:47 AM

We still have troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, R5. Itā€™s only going to be a partial withdrawal, if that. Just some more stupid shit.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2020 1:58 AM

I want the troops withdrawn, and I don't give a fuck who does it.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2020 2:07 AM

It might not matter who does it, but it does matter how it's done.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2020 2:28 AM

My had DL has changed. OP is right. This was THE issue when Bush was President.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2020 2:40 AM

If Trump ever does the right thing in the right way, Iā€™ll eat my beret.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2020 2:44 AM

He didn't end the war in Afghanistan. 2500 troops will still be there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2020 2:45 AM

[quote] Trump is fine bringing them home because he wants to economy to collapse under Biden

How does bringing the troops home cause the economy to collapse? 5,000 troops in Afghanistan doesn't make or break the defense industry. The real moneymaker is selling arms to the Saudis-- arms which are used to kill Yemeni civilians. That's been going on forever, under Obama as well as Trump. And the "China threat" is going to sustain the defense industry for a long time to come.

I don't know enough about Afghanistan to say what we should do and whatever Trump does is almost certainly in the worst interests of the country.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2020 2:50 AM

R9 When did liberals become pro-war?

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2020 3:30 AM

I only care when the fat dump gets the fuck out of the White House.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2020 4:08 AM

A symbolic withdrawal of a few people just so he can say he did ONE thing. And to be able to say Biden ā€œincreased our presenceā€ there even if he adds 500 back. Grumps agenda now is to do petty stupid things that he can talk / lie / exaggerate about for the year 4+ years

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2020 4:11 AM

[quote] I want the troops withdrawn, and I don't give a fuck who does it.

Yes, well the $600 you pay a year in taxes doesnā€™t exactly put your wishes on the priority track, dear.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2020 4:12 AM

R16 It's what most people have wanted for a decade. Is DL just state department employees and Gen X fraus now?

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2020 10:22 AM

I donā€™t know how many people Trump withdrew, but it was under Bush that the Iraq government and the US couldnā€™t agree on a troop level, so the Iraqis said, ā€œfine, withdraw them allā€. That happened under Obama. Later, US troops were invited back in. The Iraqs asked for them to be pulled back out. Letā€™s note that whatever the level of US forces, it was small. You donā€™t have to genius to remove a tiny force. Especially when the host country tells you to.

Further, whatā€™s the number of private forces in both countries? Thatā€™s a number Iā€™d be interested in hearing. ,

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2020 11:00 PM

Yes, because leaving a power vacuum in countries that the US has invaded and removed the government with no planning or preparation has worked out so well over the past several years.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2020 11:16 PM

[quote] When did liberals become pro-war?

It's not about being "pro-war". It's about protecting peoples or interests in a country or region.

Would you approve if we had gone in to the Balkans to stop genocide? It's pie in the sky thinking that troubles and violence and destruction of human rights in other places will not end up affecting the US.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2020 11:45 PM

We did go into the Balkans to stop genocide.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2020 1:08 AM

Withdraw them all and then we can talk

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2020 1:18 AM

R13, liberals are neither pro- nor anti-war. They just want to be in charge.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2020 1:18 AM

Biden will send more troops back to Afghanistan to stop the Taliban from toppling the Afghani government.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2020 1:19 AM

End the war? Like hell !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2020 1:29 AM

R23 must think conservatives don't want to be in charge. Lol. Trump thinks instability in the Middle East will hurt Biden. He thinks the troops are losers, he does not care about them

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2020 1:33 AM

R26 Mideast peace deals tell a different story. Biden also wants to resume the Iran nuclear deal.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2020 1:38 AM

Yep, Trump wants the Taliban to retake Afghanistan so Biden will have an intractable foreign-policy problem to deal with on day one.

And for those who don't think what happens in Afghanistan affects us here in the U.S., here's a little reminder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2020 1:39 AM

R27 I seriously think, with all the news Dataloungers consume, they just aren't aware of the normalizations of relations Trump has negotiated.

No one had heard of the USMCA yesterday šŸ˜µ

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2020 1:55 AM

Americans are known for coming to a region, giving the pro-western people there some hope for progress, but then shrugging and abandoning those people to oppression or even death because the struggle is too much fuss.

These little girls, actually getting an education in Afghanistan. How will they fare is the Americans pull out precipitously and the Taliban takes over again? The Taliban murders teachers who teach little girls.

Are we there for good reasons or bad? Were we in Vietnam for good reasons or bad? Does it really matter anymore? We have a responsibility to the people there relying on us. Leave it to Trump to pull the rug out from under them out of spite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2020 2:05 AM

R30 What the fuck. That's what the Peace Corps is for, and also why are we their babysitters?

We don't need to prolong military action so little girls can read. Schools here have been closed for two semesters now.

Also, that's imperalism- which last I checked was evil and racist.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2020 2:08 AM

Is it just dawning on you that we're an empire. R31?

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2020 3:18 AM

[quote] [R30] What the fuck. That's what the Peace Corps is for, and also why are we their babysitters?

Reading comprehension not your strong suit I take it? We are their babysitters because we barged into the country and took the role, you simpleton.

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2020 4:14 AM

R33 We are not their babysitters, we are not burdened with caretaking for them.

R32 The U.S. should not be an empire, let's start by pulling out of the countries we've occupied.

What the absolute fuck has happened to the gay community?

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2020 9:09 AM

R33 aren't you very pro-rioting and pro-Antifa Bootsy?

I don't understand how that ties in with supporting foreign occupations.

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2020 9:11 AM

R31, the Peace Corps is where white kids go on vacation. We need to end the drug abuse in the Puff Corps, as we used to call it.

In the new order, 10% of Peace Corps volunteers will be thrown into the nearest convenient volcano.

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2020 1:27 AM

In typical Trump fashion, we pulls the troops out suddenly without any sort of longterm plan.

What could possibly go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2020 1:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!