Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My Basil plant is struggling on my London window sill - maybe it's too cold. What do I know?

Does anyone round here (try) to grow basil? Does it need the sun? Does it need warmth? Puhlease help me. Rosemary does great here, even in the garden.

My plant looks like in this pic. Not great, is it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2020 7:33 AM

Looks like it needs a little spritz of water. Basil is very hardy.

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2020 11:46 PM

Um, I think it's ready to pick. Make some pesto and freeze it.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 11:47 PM

Try pronouncing it the American way and see if it likes that better.

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 11:47 PM

Name him Rathbone.

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 11:51 PM

OT, but that’s a very beautiful, restful picture. I like.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 11:51 PM

Orphan tears really help maximize the flavor.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2020 11:54 PM

[quote]OT, but that’s a very beautiful, restful picture. I like.

It's not my actual plant I got it off the internet, it probably belongs to a heterosexual

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 11:55 PM

Too much water (or possibly too little water), but I would bet you are overwatering.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2020 12:00 AM

Before I realized it wasn't your actual plant, I was going to tell you that it looked fine. Basil is incredibly hardy as long as it gets enough sun and water. It doesn't like drafts so you might want to move it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2020 12:00 AM

[quote]Too much water (or possibly too little water), but I would bet you are overwatering.

It drink it up so fast and starts to wilt if I don't water it

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2020 12:02 AM

basil likes lots of water with a well drained pot. bright sun/light a few hours a day and pinching off the leaves makes it grow better. if you pinch tge well formed leaves that are above two tiny leaves it will branch off there with regrowth. mist once a week. I grow tons of several kinds of basil inside with lights. it's my favorite herb and one of my favorite sces

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2020 12:30 AM

Thanks RC

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2020 12:33 AM

Basil prefers heat. That's why it grows in places like Thailand

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2020 12:39 AM

omy, *scent* not sces. and you're welcome op. I am a maniacal pincher (except for the bottom most leaves) so that my plats get bushy rather than tall because there's limited height space inside under lights.

However, if you grow lemon basil over pinching somehow makes it just grow lots of tiny leaves that over crowd each other. or, that's what it did with mine.

and I just now see r13and suspect he's correct and I never thought about having to worry about it because of lights.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2020 12:42 AM

You're not using the right fertilizer, OP. Do you happen to have a lover your brothers don't approve of?

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2020 12:47 AM

If you have a radiator or vent, put it near that. It like heat and sun.

Improves growth / health of tomato plants when planted near them.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2020 12:52 AM

I thought a sunny day in London was rare? And the trees are full of green leaves- in mid-November?

I think Muriel needs to put a disclaimer on this post.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2020 2:07 AM

Let basil die and come back, or buy another.

Nothing lasts forever. Especially in a temperate climate where plants recognize seasonal changes in light. Not to mention temperature, even when stifled indoors like this poorly tended, unfed Ocimum basilicum that ought to be eight inches taller and much fuller by the end of the growing season.

Plant Munchausen's by proxy.

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2020 2:47 AM

[quote]I thought a sunny day in London was rare? And the trees are full of green leaves- in mid-November? I think Muriel needs to put a disclaimer on this post.

I said the photo wasn't mine you moron.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2020 7:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!