Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYC Businesses Must Now Take Cash

Effective November 20 the law that businesses must take cash came into effect. Businesses have had since last January to "prepare" for it.

Yesterday a chain store in the Village refused U.S. Currency, saying "We don't have a cash register." Fine for first offense in $1000.

Present your cash (no bills over $20) and if a business refuses it, call 311. Let's get those $1000 fines rolling folks!

by Anonymousreply 394November 28, 2020 2:07 AM

What business that has an actual storefront wouldn't take cash?

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2020 10:56 PM

And this is why Democrats lose elections.

MANY R1.

Taking cash involves at the least, a risky trip to the bank, or paying a security service to come pick it up.

The intent of the legislation is so the unbanked won’t be left behind, but that assumption is bullshit.

If you are on Chexsystem’s watchlist, then ... frankly, you did something do get there.

If you can’t open a bank account for ... reasons ... then you can get a pre-paid debit card with a minimum of fees to have your paycheck deposited to.

If you are getting paid 100% in cash, then you are evading taxes as it is, and I have no sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 11:05 PM

I think Amazon was developing a store that wouldn't take cash.

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 11:10 PM

The unbanked? Um, okay.

Look, I wasn't claiming that businesses don't have to go to the bank, of course they do. That's business.

I simply asked what business with a storefront wouldn't take money? It's an actual question because I don't think I've ever walked into a store that didn't take money. If there is such a business, what kind of business is it?

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 11:11 PM

Didn’t mean (well maybe) to be snarky R4/OP, but taking cash these days is more trouble than it is worth, and many places now discourage it, if not outright don’t do it.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 11:16 PM

A few storefronts with little competition (and somewhat higher prices to cover the cards fees) don’t take cash.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2020 11:18 PM

I'm r4 but I'm not the OP.

I just think it's weird but what do I know?

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 11:19 PM

Taking cash during a pandemic...that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 11:20 PM

The argument is that poor people don't have access to plastic, yet every homeless person I see has a cellphone.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2020 11:20 PM

I wonder if they've ever studied that, R8? (Of course they have, they've studied everything.)

If we stopped using cash altogether, would it slow the spread of infectious disease? It must, right?

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 11:22 PM

Poors with PHONES! OMG.

Next they'll be eating seafood!

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2020 11:23 PM

Not nearly as much if we wore masks and washed our hands

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2020 11:23 PM

Oh now don't be ridiculous R12, because FREEDUMB and MURICA.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 11:26 PM

If the POORS can charge their phones, then they have access to electricity and are not really homeless.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2020 11:28 PM

and yet you have to use the unwashed pin pad to use your debit card.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2020 11:37 PM

[quote]I think Amazon was developing a store that wouldn't take cash.

Amazon Go stores don't take cash. Payment is via an app on your phone linked to your Amazon account.

There's no cash register, no need to interact with employees, or self-checkout. Shoppers take the items they want and leave, and Amazon puts the charges on your credit card.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 11:41 PM

From R15:

[quote} More than half of unbanked households cited not having enough money to keep in an account, 30 percent said they don’t trust banks and 9 percent reported banks are in an inconvenient location, according to the survey.

So 80% of these people are idiots.

I totally understand the minimum deposit requirements for the big banks, but there are many, MANY, credit unions who don’t have these requirements.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 11:47 PM

There's a burger joint in a town nearby that won't take plastic. They send people over to a corner liquor store to use the ATM to get cash.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 11:49 PM

Were shopkeepers using "We only take plastic" to keep the homeless from using their stores?

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2020 11:50 PM

R15 Surely you’ve heard of contactless payment? I’m sure that’s been an option when I’ve been in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2020 11:51 PM

[quote]Present your cash (no bills over $20) and if a business refuses it,

What if I present hole and they refuse it?

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2020 11:52 PM

I don't know anybody who uses cash anymore, even my older relatives use cards or their phones for everything.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2020 12:12 AM

[quote] banks are in an inconvenient location

You don't have to physically go to a bank to do anything anymore.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2020 12:15 AM

R2 You are correct. I am damn tired of standing in line at Costco and seeing individuals take rolls of $100 bills out to pay for their purchases. I bet that over 80% of this money has never been reported as earned income. Second, it is difficult to obtain $100 bills from most ATMs, so these bills are from cashing checks or under the table payments for services provided.

I remember a few years ago in DC when I took a cab. The cabbie asked how I was planning to pay. I said with my credit card. He went crazy and said that he does not make as much money because he has to pay TAXES. TOO F'ING BAD! The employed worker in this country that receive formal paychecks (whether deposited directly or via a check) pay taxes and are paying for these cheaters through increased tax levels to fund the government. A cabbie like this cheats the system.

The US is falling behind other countries in the world in FINTECH. If you go to Asia, no one uses cash. They use FINTECH payment systems. And guess what, these countries have all experienced increases in tax revenues. No longer the CHEATERS in the system.

If any law needs to be passed, it is one that assists the poor in establishing bank accounts. The law like this in NY and SF do not address the real problem but penalize society and inhibit technology and the US becomes more like a third world country.

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2020 12:18 AM

R2, what a stupid thing to say. Why would this affect anyone's life since 99.9999% of businesses take cash. Who the hell doesn't have a cash register?

Republicans lose elections because they obsess over stupid shit like this. Bet you cried when Trump lost?

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2020 12:20 AM

R17, the stupid ones are freepers like you who say shit like "This is why Democrats lose elections" when it's a lot weirder for businesses to not take cash than it is for people to not have a bank account

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2020 12:23 AM

R24, people who bitch about "Democrats" and New York and San Francisco are the ones making America into a third world countries.

We should force people to have bank accounts but we can't force businesses to take cash?

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2020 12:24 AM

What's wrong with paying with EFTPOS/Tap?

Cash is filthy and electronic payments are much safer during a pandemic. Cash should be banned for now.

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2020 12:30 AM

A lot of things are filthy. Door handles are filthy - should we ban those, too?

by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2020 12:31 AM

R28, we have enough to deal with already you tireless little troll.

We're not completely changing our monetary system right this minute but thank you so much for the caring suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 30November 22, 2020 12:33 AM

Why the [bold]FUCK[/bold] am I a troll R30???

That was the first time I've posted in this thread. Every other country has banned cash payments and have asked everyone to pay with EFTPOS/Tap because of the pandemic.

But you Americans are determined to kill as many people as you can. 204,179 new Covid infections recorded the other day.

Door handles are being disinfected regularly by cleaning crews R29. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2020 12:40 AM

Huh? It's a fucking lie that all countries have banned cash. Covid is spread through the air, you don't get it through cash. People aren't dying because of cash.

by Anonymousreply 32November 22, 2020 12:48 AM

R31, I thought you were a troll (one of our usual tedious trolls) and I see now that you are instead quite... earnest. Sorry.

Look at the numbers you cite, all quite true. Think about our refusal to believe that Covid even exists in "red" states and neighborhoods. Doctors have patients sicken and die of Covid, all the while not believing in Covid as a real and deadly virus as it kills them. People won't wear masks, won't stop partying or traveling for Thanksgiving. They won't stop holding political rallies or going on endless "coffee runs" or whatever else they're doing. And they're dying. And now you say - no more cash for you, Murica! Just stop using it because it spreads germs.

They go armed to the state house and threaten to kidnap, rape and kill the governor over not being able to go out to dinner.

Seriously now, what kind of country do you think you're talking about here?

70 million are morons or moron-adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 33November 22, 2020 12:52 AM

Paper money and coins are crawling with the virus R32. The virus can survive on cash for up to two days. Covid is spread in a number of ways including surface transfer as you well know.

I never said all countries have banned cash - just the ones who are actually attempting to deal with the pandemic and get it under control. i.e. NOT the USA.

by Anonymousreply 34November 22, 2020 12:53 AM

What will beggars do if the money they panhandle can't be used in stores?

by Anonymousreply 35November 22, 2020 12:55 AM

Lots of places won't accept checks anymore.

by Anonymousreply 36November 22, 2020 12:58 AM

It’s white ironic that the rationale behind this is that unbanked people are “black and brown” so not taking cash is “racist”

Yet the same people will call you racist if you dare suggest that black and brown people are poor.

by Anonymousreply 37November 22, 2020 1:01 AM

I loved my trip to London last year because to make every single purchase by credit card. I didn’t have to change dollars to pounds cash even once.

by Anonymousreply 38November 22, 2020 1:02 AM

^^ white was supposed to be “quite” but it’s actually a cool autocorrect because most of the people I was describing are actually woke white people

by Anonymousreply 39November 22, 2020 1:03 AM

R37 Activists have decided it’s easier to just let people be uneducated and poor than actually help. Seattle set up a municipal bank for unbanked folks. I’m sure lots of people won’t use it because of folk beliefs, but at least we tried.

by Anonymousreply 40November 22, 2020 1:05 AM

[quote]70 million are morons or moron-adjacent.

Love that R33! 100% agree with everything you say. It's sad but true and a few of those moron-adjacent knuckle draggers are posting in this thread.

America has an almost insurmountable uphill battle thanks to Dump & co politicizing it and the 70 million morons and moron-adjacents who reside in red states with their guns. Covid is so out of control in the US it is alarming to watch from afar.

Is THAT what this crazy thread is about R37? Racisim? Genuine question - how can anyone not have a bank account in 2020? How could someone operate in an electronic society without a bank account? Why can't they get one?

by Anonymousreply 41November 22, 2020 1:07 AM

There are more poor, homeless white people than any other group.

It's a move against the poor as much as it's a racist thing in areas where there's more diversity.

by Anonymousreply 42November 22, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote]That was the first time I've posted in this thread. Every other country has banned cash payments and have asked everyone to pay with EFTPOS/Tap because of the pandemic.

Americans are notoriously resistant to change. Our adaptation to tech is abysmal compared to Europe and Asia. You see evidence of it right on DL with the eldergays bitching about tech.

Sweden is one example of a cashless society. Even the ancient old people in Sweden have smartphones they use to pay for shit with. It will probably take another TWENTY years for the US to get to that.

by Anonymousreply 43November 22, 2020 1:08 AM

R31 Here in Britain the move to Chip & PIN was done by the government telling retailers they weren't forced to switch over, but anyone who still used signature verification would have to cover the cost of fraudulent transactions themselves, given how much more secure Chip & PIN is. Of course, basically all retailers switched. Can you imagine any American government actually demanding something like that of corporations?

Hell, take this law as an example. A proper solution to the unbanked would be to force all banks to offer a basic free bank account to all people. But again, that would require standing up to corporations. So you get this bullshit instead.

by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2020 1:09 AM

I only carry fifties.

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2020 1:11 AM

[quote]Genuine question - how can anyone not have a bank account in 2020? How could someone operate in an electronic society without a bank account? Why can't they get one?

I posted a similar question about photo IDs (how can anyone not have a photo id in 2020?) in a couple of threads awhile back and was called a racist.

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2020 1:11 AM

R40, the people who bitch about "activists" are the ones who don't care about the poor

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2020 1:11 AM

R34, new studies show hardly anyone gets it from touching surfaces. People get it through the air. If you're going to bitch about uneducated people....

by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2020 1:13 AM

R47 The point I’m trying to make isSF and NY could help people instead of passing dumb laws.

People who throw accusations about “not caring about the poor” usually because have no coherent argument except shaming.

by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2020 1:14 AM

Further, R47, by allowing them to keep using cash, the poor continue to be effectively locked out of the modern economy. Smarter to set up banks and start promoting them amongst the poor.

We should be trying to lift up, not lower the bar.

by Anonymousreply 50November 22, 2020 1:18 AM

R50, a lot of people who aren't poor use cash, too.

So it's wrong to force businesses to take cash but okay to force people to pay with a credit or debit card? Conservatives are weird.

by Anonymousreply 51November 22, 2020 1:22 AM

My pot delivery service only takes cash so fuck that "no cash" thing.

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 52November 22, 2020 1:24 AM

R49, conservatives who bitch about "evil liberal San Francisco" usually don't have a coherent argument.

Conservatives who bitch about cities passing laws and regulations didn't care about "small government" when they passed anti-gay laws.

You're also accusing people of not caring about the poor, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 53November 22, 2020 1:24 AM

I’m not bitching about evil, liberal San Francisco. I live in Seattle and WE ACTUALLY OPENED A FUCKING BANK TO HELP THE POOR. I’m complaining that SF and NY aren’t doing enough and legislating out of laziness.

you idiots who think everyone who disagrees with you is a Republican are Deplorables of a different shade. I don’t know why I think Democrats are all smart, you prove that’s wrong.

by Anonymousreply 54November 22, 2020 1:29 AM

“ You're also accusing people of not caring about the poor, by the way.”

Yes, yes I am.

by Anonymousreply 55November 22, 2020 1:32 AM

I’m waiting to hear how this law improved a poor person’s life.

by Anonymousreply 56November 22, 2020 1:33 AM

R54, you're extremely dumb but you're calling out others for that.

Hypocritical much?

You bitch about rules and regulations (like a conservative - they think laws are bad except ones they can use to punish people they don't like) but want to force people to get bank accounts. I call a spade a spade.

by Anonymousreply 57November 22, 2020 1:33 AM

It's so weird that people still use cash in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 58November 22, 2020 1:34 AM

I don’t understand the argument that banks are not in convenient locations. I use my bank accounts regularly, sometimes even daily, but who needs to actually walk inside a bank building? The last time I set foot in a bank was, I don’t know, two or three years ago.

by Anonymousreply 59November 22, 2020 1:36 AM

Isn’t "spade" a racially insensitive epithet?

by Anonymousreply 60November 22, 2020 1:38 AM

I said that giving the poor banking options is better than a law.

I said one law was dumb, so you’ve extrapolated that I’m conservative.

“Force people to get bank accounts “ are you some kind of Idaho prepper who thinks the government is out to get them? Are you Amish? I hope you don’t work in social services, trying to keep people unbanked is a one way ticket.

People like you don’t want things to get better, you just want to bitch and judge others!

Which actually IS the point of Datalounge. So carry on.

by Anonymousreply 61November 22, 2020 1:41 AM

One way ticket to poverty, I meant to write. I wish there was edit.

by Anonymousreply 62November 22, 2020 1:42 AM

Actually, pot delivery is about the only thing I pay cash for, except maybe the Farmer's Market.

I haven't set foot in a bank in several years either. The last time was when I was nearby anyway and had just had my wallet stolen.

I think that, as with grocery stores and some other things, there are areas that become known as bank "deserts" because the banks/grocery stores/etc don't go there. They are in urban and poor areas, rural and poor areas, places where people can be stuck without access to things. In that sense it can be "racist" when those neighborhoods aren't white. It's mostly economics, they don't make as much money serving those communities so they are the first to close down when times get hard. There are no bank or grocery store "deserts" in middle-class and better neighborhoods.

Most people use cards most of the time, let's just get through this fucker and see where we end up on the other side.

by Anonymousreply 63November 22, 2020 1:45 AM

R60 must be mad at being called a conservative.

by Anonymousreply 64November 22, 2020 1:45 AM

The guy who was accusing me of being conservative used spade.

And of course I’m upset, who wants to be called conservative!

by Anonymousreply 65November 22, 2020 1:46 AM

True, R65, it's pretty damn low.

by Anonymousreply 66November 22, 2020 1:48 AM

Cannabis businesses are prohibited by law from using banking services, since federal laws govern banking and cannabis is illegal federally.

I pay cash for all business I transact in retail establishments. There are a few stores here in Long Beach that take only credit cards, and only VISA/Mastercard. No cash, no charge cards (AX), no checks. Once I learn that they do not take cash -- at check out -- I do not return.

Banks do not have retail stores in poor areas. Banks do not want poor people as clients. Can you imagine a homeless person trying to open a (no fee) checking account in a BofA or Citi branch? Further, it is not like banks give VISA/MC branded debit cards to all customers. Only people with acceptable credit get these. Poor people get, literally, a debit card that they can use only at ATMs. If they can get a major bank to open an account for them in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 67November 22, 2020 1:50 AM

R61, if I think people should have the option of paying with cash, that means I'm forcing them to be unbanked? Um, no. I think people should have options. I think people should be able to pay for things with cash or a card. You don't. You want them to ONLY use cards.

You sit and attack me for "judging" people but it's cool for you to judge me and for you to judge cities like New York and San Francisco. You accuse me of being Amish but you sound like a conservative from the red states.

by Anonymousreply 68November 22, 2020 1:50 AM

Why not just force the unbanked poor into banking accounts.

Because my all CASH piggy bank never charged me $20 dollars for being $3 overdrawn

by Anonymousreply 69November 22, 2020 1:50 AM

Demanding that all transactions are done with cards is just another way to track us, just another invasion of privacy.

by Anonymousreply 70November 22, 2020 1:52 AM

While I usually use debit or credit card for purchases, I would often prefer to pay for things such as lunch or small purchases with cash. Businesses that do not accept cash discriminate against those who don't have cards and can only pay in cash. I know several businesses that switches to card only, and I have told them that I will stop patronizing them.

by Anonymousreply 71November 22, 2020 1:52 AM

I don’t think cash is even a big COVID-19 threat. And if they’re so concerned they can easily quarantine the cash. This just makes me wonder what the real agenda is.

by Anonymousreply 72November 22, 2020 1:56 AM

R68 you’re on to me. I’m a Russian deplorable troll from a red state who wants poor people to get banked so they don’t pay outrageous fees for check cashing services and pre paid debit cards.

I agree with the poster who said banks should be forced to offer free basic bank accounts.

I also think we shouldn’t let people live in parks, we should give them homes. I don’t think allowing the poor to wallow is compassion.

But you’ve figured out I’m a red state MAGA asshole. I can’t fool you!

by Anonymousreply 73November 22, 2020 2:12 AM

[quote]Demanding that all transactions are done with cards is just another way to track us, just another invasion of privacy.

The rest of the world has been cashless for some time and everything has kept turning.

Of course Americans are so stupid and paranoid they think the black helicopters will show up at their homes any minute and whisk them away to the secret government facility under the Denver airport, where they will be subject to experimentation using alien DNA.

Anyway, carry on...

by Anonymousreply 74November 22, 2020 2:21 AM

Never mind, r73, we've had so many trolls for so long all over the internet and the datalounge that we can't tell anymore. Happens to me all the time - both sides.

So did the terms "unbanked" and "get banked" become common when this was being debated in Seattle? I'm not knocking them, I've just never heard them before.

I would think that there will always be a segment of the population who will not get banked. Some because they are crazy and their mental illness won't allow it. Others because they are crooked. Others because who the hell knows?

Here in Murica I doubt it can be forced.

by Anonymousreply 75November 22, 2020 2:21 AM

[quote] Businesses that do not accept cash discriminate against those who don't have cards and can only pay in cash. I know several businesses that switches to card only, and I have told them that I will stop patronizing them.

How old are you, 112? Get with the fucking program.

I literally do not know anyone who pays with cash anymore, including the older people I know.

by Anonymousreply 76November 22, 2020 2:22 AM

Program?

by Anonymousreply 77November 22, 2020 2:24 AM

[quote] Of course Americans are so stupid and paranoid they think the black helicopters will show up at their homes any minute and whisk them away to the secret government facility under the Denver airport, where they will be subject to experimentation using alien DNA.

Dude, that fucking JUST happened to me the other day!

And they did not take cash.

by Anonymousreply 78November 22, 2020 2:24 AM

That's hot!

Any probing R78?

by Anonymousreply 79November 22, 2020 2:27 AM

Black Ops and aliens only do Google Pay or Venmo now.

by Anonymousreply 80November 22, 2020 2:29 AM

No, R79, it's all laser shit and woo-woo space stuff.

Alas, the old alien probe days are gone...

by Anonymousreply 81November 22, 2020 2:33 AM

I hardly use cash anymore either, but I also feel like it's good to have some on hand in case of certain natural disasters or emergencies it's probably easier to get things done with cash. I'm thinking earthquakes in particular, but could also be something like a prolonged or widespread power outage.

That said I also think there is a sort of discriminatory and hassle nature to banks in the form of fees and account balance minimums. Certainly as businesses they can set whatever fees they want, but there is sometimes an attitude where some banks seem to forget that the money is not theirs. Dealing with banks it's like they are holding your money hostage. Because of that I can't really begrudge people who don't want to have anything to do with them.

by Anonymousreply 82November 22, 2020 6:03 AM

I can't get over that this is now necessary considering all the little shitty businesses in Manhattan 20 years ago that would not take card under any circumstances. They were happy to charge you $5 to use their ATM though.

And, actually, speaking of unethical NYC business practices, has the city ever addressed the practice of charging more depending on the customer? Just another reason why I hated living there.

by Anonymousreply 83November 22, 2020 6:37 AM

[quote]I only carry fifties.

I only carry sweaty one dollar bills.

by Anonymousreply 84November 22, 2020 8:31 AM

My fifties smell great.

by Anonymousreply 85November 22, 2020 8:48 AM

R4 Sweetgreen, a salad chain in NYC, doesn't take cash (or didn't). Of course, you only find out when your salad has been made and you are at the cash register. That's where they chose to post a sign instead of posting it before you order. I walked out.

by Anonymousreply 86November 22, 2020 8:51 AM

R9, they claim the phone is a gift from a relative. Same for their 65-inch TV.

by Anonymousreply 87November 22, 2020 12:14 PM

A friend is "unbanked" by choice. Pays everything with post office money orders. Doesn't want his life tracked through a bank account.

by Anonymousreply 88November 22, 2020 12:17 PM

Can a Floridian confirm that Photo ID is requited to vote?

by Anonymousreply 89November 22, 2020 12:22 PM

Why is it when anything is discussed involving poor people...

...they have the go-to R15 "rubenesque" black woman all dolled up being interviewed?

It doesn't matter what topic....food deserts, Covid fatalities, cashless store apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 90November 22, 2020 1:24 PM

[quote]A friend is "unbanked" by choice. Pays everything with post office money orders. Doesn't want his life tracked through a bank account.

Your friend is a paranoid nutcase.

by Anonymousreply 91November 22, 2020 1:37 PM

Banks are scammy, predatory and unreliable. They don’t actually care about you and your money. You’d think people would learn after all these years, but they have short term memory.

My grandma was just scammed pretty bad by Wells Fargo. The agent made her open a new account for no reason and guess what? They were taking money out of it and using it. There have been so many scandals and yet everyone still clutches to these shitheads and lets them get off free.

by Anonymousreply 92November 22, 2020 1:43 PM

The EU requires banks to offer accounts with minimal services to everyone. They provide limited services so are less susceptible to money laundering.

Since I first heard about the EU solution to the unbanked I’ve wondered why other countries didn’t follow suit.

But I think the solution will come in the form of central bank issued digital coin which will allow governments to issue benefits without requiring recipients to open banks accounts where commercial banks can grab huge administrative fees.

Which is why you’ll see something like this implemented in the EU and UK, but never in the US

by Anonymousreply 93November 22, 2020 1:50 PM

It’s better to have direct control over your money. Period.

It’s surprising how money idiots are willing to allow third parties to control their lives.

by Anonymousreply 94November 22, 2020 1:50 PM

I'm poor. I have a bank account. I never carry cash.

by Anonymousreply 95November 22, 2020 1:52 PM

I’m well off. I have multiple bank account and credit cards. I pay cash.

by Anonymousreply 96November 22, 2020 1:54 PM

Shitty UK conservatives continue to post on American issues with no knowledge or experiences. I have no idea what banks are like for you, but in America banks are pretty shitty.

by Anonymousreply 97November 22, 2020 2:04 PM

I have multiple bank accounts and I pay cash when I’m doing errands. I have read too many stories about businesses getting hacked. My card was hacked a couple years ago and I am very strict about using bank ATMs so who knows how it happened, no one could/would say. I would _never_ use a card to pay for anything in Asia, only use bank ATMs that are _inside_ the bank. You are just begging for it to be compromised and good luck getting a replacement while you’re away, lol.

by Anonymousreply 98November 22, 2020 2:04 PM

Of course all must take cash. Those disagreeing are right-wing or libertarian.

by Anonymousreply 99November 22, 2020 2:14 PM

the beggars and street performers in China usually have a cardboard or badge with 2 QR codes printed on (one for alipay, the other for wechat pay), since most people don't use cash at all and almost certainly have no pocket change or dollar bill, the mobile payment is the only way for them to give money.

by Anonymousreply 100November 22, 2020 2:15 PM

I live in Queens, and the bigger problem here is Asian owned businesses that vastly prefer cash and so have $10 credit card minimums, even though card companies prohibit these. Typical of NYC politics to ignore shit like this.

by Anonymousreply 101November 22, 2020 2:17 PM

Is it in case the Queen visits NYC?

by Anonymousreply 102November 22, 2020 2:24 PM

I bet you will not be able to pay for a bus ride in NYC with cash.

by Anonymousreply 103November 22, 2020 2:26 PM

R101

It’s because small businesses are disproportionately hurt by the fees to process cards. I don’t know why you think the card companies should make the laws. That’s the problem - we give these companies way too much leeway and they get off abusing everyone.

by Anonymousreply 104November 22, 2020 2:30 PM

[quote]The argument is that poor people don't have access to plastic, yet every homeless person I see has a cellphone.

Yes, R7. I'm sure every single homeless person you've seen has a cell phone.

You know, organizations actually give those to them so they can have a way to call for help, contact case workers or apply for a job because you need a phone number for that. They get a few minutes for free every month. They have programs for the elderly that do that as well because pay phones aren't really "a thing" anymore and PEOPLE NEED PHONES.

It boggles my mind how people really believe the poor shouldn't have anything.

[quote]And this is why Democrats lose elections.

Oh, dear. Yes, I'm sure THAT is the reason why.

[quote]The intent of the legislation is so the unbanked won’t be left behind, but that assumption is bullshit.

You overlooked the elderly R2, many of whom, still like to use cash because they don't understand the concept of a cashless society. Even if they have bank accounts, many still like to use cash because it's tangible.

But after reading your posts I have no doubt you'll probably just call them stupid, tell them to go fuck themselves, set themselves on fire and then go straight hell while riding a diamond studded dildo.

by Anonymousreply 105November 22, 2020 2:35 PM

Do some states have laws that require banks or credit unions or other financial institutions to provide anyone with a basic bank account, free of charges?

by Anonymousreply 106November 22, 2020 2:37 PM

Lots of elderly people are terrified of tech and don't even have debit cards. I understand that, but people who are not elderly who are still using cash or writing checks is just like "what the fuck?"

by Anonymousreply 107November 22, 2020 2:37 PM

Everything but the dildo R105.

by Anonymousreply 108November 22, 2020 2:37 PM

The Magamoron trash set is strong in this thread. Stores must take cash. Limits are fine, say anything over a twenty, but trying to explain why cash must always be excepted to these stupid fucks is like trying to tell these same stupid fucks their dear leader lost the election.

by Anonymousreply 109November 22, 2020 2:41 PM

I'm wondering if you people who still pay in cash live in more rural flyover areas? Nobody on the coasts uses cash anymore except for some old people.

by Anonymousreply 110November 22, 2020 2:41 PM

I get cash every year from my family for holidays. What do you want me to do? Burn it?

by Anonymousreply 111November 22, 2020 2:42 PM

[quote] So 80% of these people are idiots.

Many are poor. When I worked in the ER at Jamaica Hospital in queens I don’t think any of them had bank accounts. They didn’t make enough to open an account & pay fees and there were no ....and I mean no....banks in their neighborhood. Going outside of their neighborhoods was dangerous. They risked getting beaten up by residents of white neighborhoods, stopped by cops & having drugs planted on them or outright killed by white cops.

by Anonymousreply 112November 22, 2020 3:00 PM

R90

Because that’s reality. Black people are by far the poorest off in this country and they disproportionately are the most negatively impacted by everything. Step into reality, sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 113November 22, 2020 3:07 PM

There really seems to be a true unawareness of the issues of people who may not be financially solid. There are numerous reasons why people are not using banks - none of which are paranoid in nature. People with little understanding of the poor or financially unstable can't imagine that even a $10 bank fee can mean a great deal to people.

Poor people can get free phones from the government. Haven't you ever heard of people sneering at "Obama phones".

by Anonymousreply 114November 22, 2020 3:11 PM

We have an entire mall in Los Angeles that is cash free. I love going there.

by Anonymousreply 115November 22, 2020 3:12 PM

On 9/11 in NYC, electronic credit card pads didn’t work and storeowners refused personal checks. Cash only. Ever since that we’ve had cash on hand. We moved out of the city but still keep cash.

What if there’s an extended blackout in your area? How do you pay if your phone service is down & credit card systems aren’t working? Recent storms have shown us that areas can be without power for weeks & people have to stand in line waiting to charge their phones from a truck. Gas pumps don’t work when electricity is out, so charging your phone from your car will be wasting gas if you need to drive somewhere.

Another thing - in my area, white people won’t come to my house to fix things or do landscaping unless they’re going to make a minimum of $20k. It’s an expensive area and difficult to get to, as there’s only one road leading in and out. It takes forever to get to & from a job in heavy traffic. Most painting, landscaping and indoor repairs are done by illegals without bank accounts. They can afford to live here because there are local slumlords who allow 20 people to live in an old tract home or farmhouse. Many of those slum lords are related to the cops & politicians out here, so they don’t have to worry about zoning laws. If you don’t have cash, then you’ll have to pay $35k to re-shingle your house. And forget about a plumber or electrician. It’s not worth it to them to sit in traffic for a few hours. A whole lot of us bought our homes before this area became unaffordable for regular people & we can’t afford to import overpriced white men.

by Anonymousreply 116November 22, 2020 3:18 PM

There are a lot of psychotic people on this forum. Really, in other threads posters would practically advocate for rounding up the homeless and executing them. I am so disgusted and disappointed at how dark and barbaric this forum has gotten.

by Anonymousreply 117November 22, 2020 3:22 PM

I imagine OP opening up his murse and digging for pennies and nickels every time he pays for things, still owning a dial telephone and one of those old school TVs with rabbit ears.

by Anonymousreply 118November 22, 2020 3:30 PM

I suspect that those who insist on CARDS ONLY for all people living on planet earth, are those whose only source of income is their disability checks that are directed deposited by the government.

by Anonymousreply 119November 22, 2020 3:30 PM

[quote]we can’t afford to import overpriced white men.

I used to think this too, but now Rentmen.com makes it easy!

by Anonymousreply 120November 22, 2020 3:31 PM

A diner owner I know put off going to computers for servers. The IRS could demand information in the system. No way to cheat on their income.

by Anonymousreply 121November 22, 2020 3:54 PM

Some utterly bizarre posters in this thread, especially the ones who accuse anyone who has a different opinion from them of being a conservative. Ridiculously so, given conservatives wouldn't go around advocating for banks to be forced to make free basic bank accounts available to all.

And if the banks are shitty, you regulate them more to ensure they aren't. Funny how that thought didn't occur to the one throwing around accusations of being conservatives. Almost like they're projecting.

by Anonymousreply 122November 22, 2020 4:27 PM

[quote]The rest of the world has been cashless for some time and everything has kept turning.

The rest of the world has been cashless for some time?

You're an idiot who knows little about the world.

by Anonymousreply 123November 22, 2020 4:44 PM

[quote] Banks are scammy, predatory and unreliable

Use a credit union

by Anonymousreply 124November 22, 2020 4:51 PM

[quote]On 9/11 in NYC, electronic credit card pads didn’t work and storeowners refused personal checks. Cash only. Ever since that we’ve had cash on hand.

Because tech hasn't changed AT ALL in two decades.

by Anonymousreply 125November 22, 2020 5:11 PM

[quote]What if there’s an extended blackout in your area? How do you pay if your phone service is down & credit card systems aren’t working? Recent storms have shown us that areas can be without power for weeks & people have to stand in line waiting to charge their phones from a truck. Gas pumps don’t work when electricity is out, so charging your phone from your car will be wasting gas if you need to drive somewhere.

Portable solar generator kit. It's the size of a car battery and you can buy one at Wal Mart. I don't know anyone who doesn't have one of these. A godsend in a power outage, if you don't have a generator.

by Anonymousreply 126November 22, 2020 5:15 PM

[quote]I suspect that those who insist on CARDS ONLY for all people living on planet earth, are those whose only source of income is their disability checks that are directed deposited by the government.

Are you serious? Do you even live in the year 2020? I can't even remember the last time I saw anyone paying cash in a store.

by Anonymousreply 127November 22, 2020 5:17 PM

R126

No one I know “has one of these”.

by Anonymousreply 128November 22, 2020 5:25 PM

I pay with cash quite often. Who the fuck uses plastic to pay for little things? I always keep cash at home and after 9/11 I kept large sums.

I also refuse to use the money machines in taxis - something my bank actually privately agrees with.

by Anonymousreply 129November 22, 2020 5:27 PM

Dear R101, the signs you complain of were specifically allowed by The CARD Act passed by Congress in 2010 to address, among other things, the problems mentioned by R104.

by Anonymousreply 130November 22, 2020 5:30 PM

Cash. No tax.

by Anonymousreply 131November 22, 2020 5:31 PM

Somebody is doing a clumsy job of trolling

by Anonymousreply 132November 22, 2020 5:37 PM

[quote] Who the fuck uses plastic to pay for little things?

Um, pretty much everyone now. Or they use their phones.

by Anonymousreply 133November 22, 2020 5:47 PM

[quote] I don't know anyone who doesn't have one of these.

Thanks for the laugh

by Anonymousreply 134November 22, 2020 5:52 PM

Sorry r134 it's true. If you live or have a house out in the country, you should have one in your garage.

by Anonymousreply 135November 22, 2020 5:59 PM

R102, there is a sign on the Belt Parkway that reads Welcome to Queens, as you cross the city line from Brooklyn to Queens. I always think, "What about the rest of us?"

by Anonymousreply 136November 22, 2020 6:24 PM

[quote] If you live or have a house out in the country, you should have one in your garage.

I don’t know anyone who lives in a house out in the country. The vast majority of Americans live in cities or exurbs/suburbs

by Anonymousreply 137November 22, 2020 8:08 PM

How do people like R126 and so many others on this thread not suffocate in their little bubbles? You people aren't even in touch with reality at this point. It's pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 138November 22, 2020 8:25 PM

[quote]I can't even remember the last time I saw anyone paying cash in a store.

You live a very sheltered life.

by Anonymousreply 139November 22, 2020 8:31 PM

FFS r138 it's a fucking portable generator you can buy at fucking WAL MART. How is that 'living in a bubble?'

by Anonymousreply 140November 22, 2020 9:51 PM

r139 I live in a major metropolitan area.

by Anonymousreply 141November 22, 2020 9:51 PM

R140, that you even have to ask that just proves you are not even aware of the bubble you are in. And, of course you live in a major metropolitan area. Thanks for defining your bubble so clearly. I'm sure it's not in a gentrified area, either, right? It's in the "gritty" area, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 142November 22, 2020 10:08 PM

r142 you sound awfully defensive. These generators are ubiquitous and are available everywhere, why is that so controversial? Lots of people have them. My "bubble" is a person who lives in a major metropolitan area in the year 2020. Are you a total shut-in or what?

DL is CRAZY like this. Some piece of consumer shit that has been around for awhile, can be purchased anywhere and many people have is unheard of to so many of you. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 143November 22, 2020 10:36 PM

R143, you are so fucking obtuse it's bordering on hilarious. Your answer to why don't the poors just all go buy generators to charge their smartphones is the equivalent to let them eat cake. You are a moron.

I noticed you didn't deny living in a gentrified neighborhood. Of course. You are in a fucking bubble. When covid is all over, take a little trip to Appalachia or some of the southern border towns or to some shelters. Open your eyes a bit beyond reading The New Yorker and wearing your woke t-shirt.

by Anonymousreply 144November 22, 2020 10:45 PM

r144 there are no WAL MARTS in lower income communities? That's quite a surprise to me!

It's a stupid generator you can use in case of a power outage. Sorry your little narrative was shit on. Stop being a Luddite and join the modern world.

by Anonymousreply 145November 22, 2020 10:47 PM

Everyone who has a portable solar generator, raise your hand.

by Anonymousreply 146November 22, 2020 10:50 PM

Give it up r146. You got owned and don't like it.

by Anonymousreply 147November 22, 2020 10:51 PM

Still don’t know anyone who owns a solar powered Walmart thing.

by Anonymousreply 148November 22, 2020 10:52 PM

Like I said, R145, your being so obtuse is hilarious. Forty percent plus of Americans are food insecure. But, I'm sure right after food they have 'buy generator for smartphone so I can pay with my online account' on their list.

R147, you dolt, you're talking to more than one person.

by Anonymousreply 149November 22, 2020 10:53 PM

r149 how's the view from the cross you're hanging on?

[quote] Forty percent plus of Americans are food insecure.

Americans are overfed, if anything.

Again, you can buy generators at Wal Mart in case of a power outage. Lower income people can go there and get one.

by Anonymousreply 150November 22, 2020 10:59 PM

"Food insecure?" In America? Haha! Go to Honduras or Somalia you ignorant twat.

by Anonymousreply 151November 22, 2020 11:00 PM

"I live in a major metropolitan area." Says everything we need to know. Is this the same clueless dope who wrote: "The rest of the world has been cashless for some time "? You really should get out of "your major metropolitan area" once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 152November 22, 2020 11:06 PM

[quote]What if there’s an extended blackout in your area? How do you pay if your phone service is down & credit card systems aren’t working? Recent storms have shown us that areas can be without power for weeks & people have to stand in line waiting to charge their phones from a truck. Gas pumps don’t work when electricity is out, so charging your phone from your car will be wasting gas if you need to drive somewhere.

You think stores will even be open in an extended blackout? Cash would be pretty useless. If gas pumps aren't working you ain't driving nowhere no matter what.

[quote] If you don’t have cash, then you’ll have to pay $35k to re-shingle your house. And forget about a plumber or electrician.

If you make an appointment for service, they'll tell you they only take cash. Then you just go to the bank or the ATM.

[quote]

by Anonymousreply 153November 22, 2020 11:06 PM

[quote]"I live in a major metropolitan area." Says everything we need to know. Is this the same clueless dope who wrote: "The rest of the world has been cashless for some time "? You really should get out of "your major metropolitan area" once in a while.

The rest of the civilized world has been cashless for some time. Been to Scandinavia lately? Even Britain.

Most people live in metropolitan areas.

by Anonymousreply 154November 22, 2020 11:08 PM

R154 Once again you do not know what you are talking about. What a fool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155November 22, 2020 11:27 PM

Fine by me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156November 22, 2020 11:29 PM

[quote]What if there’s an extended blackout in your area? How do you pay if your phone service is down & credit card systems aren’t working? Recent storms have shown us that areas can be without power for weeks & people have to stand in line waiting to charge their phones from a truck.

Or you could fund your infrastructure properly so it's above developing world standards, which would end being weeks without power.

Such a weirdly defeatist mindset in posters on this thread. Banks MUST be shitty, infrastructure MUST be shitty, things can't ever improve, etc. No doubt these are the same kind of people who, when confronted with successful universal healthcare elsewhere, insist it won't work in the US because...it's bigger or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 157November 22, 2020 11:32 PM

R145- The point is that "the poors" are more concerned about keeping a roof over their heads and a meal on the table. They can't afford to buy a generator to heat their house or cook the food with.

by Anonymousreply 158November 22, 2020 11:33 PM

r155 that article is not truthful, for anyone who has been to those countries. Spain and Italy are not cash-majority societies, among others in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 159November 22, 2020 11:33 PM

r158 then when the power goes out they'll just have to wait for it to get turned back on, I guess.

In mainstream society, generators are pretty common.

Of course you will always be able to find some poor unfortunate souls to present as a narrative that "nobody" is doing it.

by Anonymousreply 160November 22, 2020 11:34 PM

A proper solution would require all illegals to GTFO. That's 80% of unbanked people right there.

by Anonymousreply 161November 22, 2020 11:38 PM

Do they count people on public assistance as "unbanked"? Because their benefits go onto a card.

by Anonymousreply 162November 22, 2020 11:40 PM

R45- Are your diamond shoes too tight too?

by Anonymousreply 163November 22, 2020 11:43 PM

R48- Hardly anyone gets it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 164November 22, 2020 11:44 PM

[quote] And this is why Democrats lose elections.

Anyone who uses this phrase deserves a death in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 165November 22, 2020 11:45 PM

[quote]A proper solution would require all illegals to GTFO. That's 80% of unbanked people right there.

Well, it's not polite to say it.

by Anonymousreply 166November 22, 2020 11:51 PM

There was a store in Amsterdam that sold American food products. It was run by two, fat, angry Dutch women who clearly loathed Americans. They made a continual fuss that the prices were 5 or 10% more if bought with a card.

by Anonymousreply 167November 22, 2020 11:53 PM

R159 Italy? You know nothing about about the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168November 22, 2020 11:53 PM

For those of us who don't know the American banking system and are reading from the posts in this thread - why is it so hard to open a bank account and how much are the exorbitant and unaffordable fees mentioned that you are charged for having a bank account?

What merchant service fees are you charged for credit card or debit card transactions? Can you only open a bank account if you are an American citizen? What if you are a foreigner living there for a couple of years? Do you have to have a minimum balance in your account and that's why poorer people can't have bank accounts? Don't American banks regulated to provide fee free basic bank accounts for people on welfare or are poor? What kind of ID do you need to provide to open a bank account and is that why poorer people can't open bank accounts?

So many questions. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 169November 23, 2020 12:06 AM

[quote]For those of us who don't know the American banking system and are reading from the posts in this thread - why is it so hard to open a bank account and how much are the exorbitant and unaffordable fees mentioned that you are charged for having a bank account?

It's hyperbole. Opening a bank account is easy and the fees are piddling, maybe a $5 per month service charge.

by Anonymousreply 170November 23, 2020 12:13 AM

Americans are whiny, spoiled idiots.

by Anonymousreply 171November 23, 2020 12:13 AM

r168 I'm there at least once a year. Of course business still accept cash, but digital payments are more common.

by Anonymousreply 172November 23, 2020 12:14 AM

a business cannot ban US currency in the USA. This was madness.

There was a yogurt shop that banned cash, in my city. They went out of business. Who wants to put an ice cream cone on their credit card? So stupid.

by Anonymousreply 173November 23, 2020 12:24 AM

[quote]a business cannot ban US currency in the USA

Well, they don't have to accept it. Look up legal tender.

by Anonymousreply 174November 23, 2020 12:26 AM

what did they accept bitcoin? Fucking morons.

by Anonymousreply 175November 23, 2020 12:26 AM

R172 And I have lived most of my life there. OF course more payments are being done by card...duh.... but to say that "Spain and Italy are not cash-majority societies" shows that you are talking out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 176November 23, 2020 12:29 AM

The state of NY is requiring a pointless regulation on Mom & Pop shoots R165 that takes away money from their bottom line.

Notice the independent contractor law passed in CA? As well intentioned as it was, most people realized it was bullshit.

Taking cash is a real expense and a pain in the ass.

R173, did they go out of business because they didn’t take cash, or for other reasons? Did you run this place?

You ABSOLUTELY want to put that purchase on a credit card. Even the most basic credit cards give 1% cash back. Discover gives 1% back on debit card purchases, and their accounts are all opened and maintained on-line (via phone, desktop, or whatever).

You want to piss away your money paying cash go ahead.

by Anonymousreply 177November 23, 2020 12:29 AM

[quote]There was a yogurt shop that banned cash, in my city. They went out of business.

Well, yogurt should be banned as well.

by Anonymousreply 178November 23, 2020 12:31 AM

there is a shortage of coins (USA) supposedly. What is up with that?

by Anonymousreply 179November 23, 2020 12:31 AM

isn't taking cash basically the whole point of a business? This is so stupid. Madness.

by Anonymousreply 180November 23, 2020 12:33 AM

Taking in income is the whole part of a business R190.

Taking in that income in the shape of bills and coins, (which have to be counted, transported, and deposited - frequently in The dead of night) is a very different thing.

by Anonymousreply 181November 23, 2020 12:39 AM

okay, you should open a business and take only SOS. Ban the use of USD. Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 182November 23, 2020 12:45 AM

[R181] dead of night? Is there no energy system/energy grid where you are? You sound fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 183November 23, 2020 12:49 AM

When exactly, R183, do you think businesses take their cash receipts to the bank and deposit them?

It isn’t at 10 AM the next day. From both a security and cash flow perspective, it isn’t wise to let the money sit there all night. Most places make a deposit every day, at the end of the business day. They do it at an ATM or drop box. My comments had NOTHING to do with energy grids/availability.

by Anonymousreply 184November 23, 2020 12:55 AM

No, they don't, R184, you moron. It's called a safe. They need to keep cash on hand all the time. We're not talking millions here. I honestly think you're just being stupid for reaction at this point.

by Anonymousreply 185November 23, 2020 1:05 AM

[quote] Don't American banks regulated to provide fee free basic bank accounts for people on welfare or are poor?

No.

Many banks do require a minimum balance. Another issue is that if you’ve ever had a bank account closed due to overdrafts, it can be very difficult (perhaps impossible) to open another one.

by Anonymousreply 186November 23, 2020 1:11 AM

[quote] Who wants to put an ice cream cone on their credit card? So stupid.

R173 is 246 years old.

by Anonymousreply 187November 23, 2020 1:15 AM

You made my point for me R185. They need to pay for safe. They need to go through the process of holding cash. They need to do all this in order to service a minuscule of their client base. They are paying the 2-3% to VISA anyway because they won’t survive as a cash only place.

by Anonymousreply 188November 23, 2020 1:17 AM

R185 is really embarrassing himself with his cluelessness.

by Anonymousreply 189November 23, 2020 1:21 AM

[quote]Who wants to put an ice cream cone on their credit card? So stupid.

I'm convinced that many DLers haven't left the house for at least the last two decades.

by Anonymousreply 190November 23, 2020 1:29 AM

R190 And thank god for that.

by Anonymousreply 191November 23, 2020 1:33 AM

That is nothing to be proud of r191.

by Anonymousreply 192November 23, 2020 1:34 AM

R192 Well you ruined my joke. I meant thank god as in it's better they stay at home, we don't want them out in public.

by Anonymousreply 193November 23, 2020 1:35 AM

I was going to introduce payment by Smartphone into this conversation, but our elders are still frothing about debit cards (common for at least two decades) so that would probably seem like science fiction to them.

by Anonymousreply 194November 23, 2020 1:41 AM

R9, seriously? The Lifeline program has been around for decades, that's why you see all those "poor" people with cell phones. It's been around since the Regan administration, and Bush Jr. re-signed it as well in 2008 to include cell phones. Pay phones are non existent these days, how in the hell do you expect someone who is in financial distress to make emergency phone calls, schedule appointments with their doctor, keep in touch with loved ones?

by Anonymousreply 195November 23, 2020 1:44 AM

There should be a federal law that allows businesses not to accept cash. People are trying to slow down the progress to a cashless society, but it’s inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 196November 23, 2020 1:48 AM

Cashless would be nice for dry cleaners and other small businesses. My mom's classmate in university was stabbed to death by two men as she walked to her car with the day's cash from her family's dry cleaning store. They worked for her at one point, and knew that she was handling the cash for the day. During the course of their plea deal, they attested that when she was accosted, she pleaded "Why can't you just take the money: why kill me?" to which they answered, simply: "Because you know who we are."

by Anonymousreply 197November 23, 2020 1:48 AM

I rarely carry cash on me primarily because I don't drive (epilepsy), so I'm rarely in a bank or going to an ATM machine. But this "$10 minimum" crap in order to purchase something is bullshit. Small businesses should just factor the cost of accepting payment by credit cards and get over it. I work for myself, and only process payments from my clients via PayPal. I just take PayPal's fees into consideration (which are about 3%) when quoting people for my work.

You can get a prepaid debit card from Dollar Tree and add whatever amount to it you want. I would do this all the time when signing up for trials online, and I don't want them re-billing me or tacking on extra charges.

by Anonymousreply 198November 23, 2020 2:15 AM

r196 nothing truly progressive will happen in America until the Boomers are gone. Fact.

by Anonymousreply 199November 23, 2020 2:20 AM

r197 was that a Forensic Files? I remember a case very similar to that.

by Anonymousreply 200November 23, 2020 2:21 AM

Polling shows that even in the UK only 21 percent of people want a cashless society.

by Anonymousreply 201November 23, 2020 2:25 AM

R197, similar thing here. I worked as a waiter at a restaurant in the 90s that got robbed at gunpoint twice right after closing time (thankfully I wasn't there when these happened). It was an inside job, one of the dishwashers left the back door propped open, and it was his friends that robbed the place. They were total idiots though, they went straight to the bar and demanded them to empty out the register. They didn't realize that all the servers there when this happened had over a $1k or so in their pockets from sales for the evening.

by Anonymousreply 202November 23, 2020 2:28 AM

I was going to throw in that I pay for everything with my watch, R194, but eldergay heads might explode.

And I’m an eldergay, myself.

by Anonymousreply 203November 23, 2020 2:35 AM

did they take your wallet, then use your credit card? There is a thing called credit card crimes. People steal your card and then use it. Having a credit card or wallet does not protect you from crimes. Think it through...

by Anonymousreply 204November 23, 2020 2:35 AM

did they take your wallet, then use your credit card? There is a thing called credit card crimes. People steal your card and then use it. Having a credit card or wallet does not protect you from crimes. Think it through...

by Anonymousreply 205November 23, 2020 2:35 AM

One of the cutest things I ever saw was a few years ago when some kids in my neighborhood had a lemonade stand. I went to pay them with cash and one of the kids told me they took Google Pay and Venmo.

by Anonymousreply 206November 23, 2020 2:38 AM

[quote] I totally understand the minimum deposit requirements for the big banks, but there are many, MANY, credit unions who don’t have these requirements.

Not where I live. The nearest credit union is over 40 miles away

by Anonymousreply 207November 23, 2020 3:01 AM

R200, no. It was in Chicago. My mom told me about it years ago. Korean immigrant victim, went to Ewha Women’s University in Seoul.

by Anonymousreply 208November 23, 2020 4:07 AM

[quote] Another issue is that if you’ve ever had a bank account closed due to overdrafts, it can be very difficult (perhaps impossible) to open another one.

I think it takes about 7 years for it to clear from the national system if your account is closed due to overdrafts. You might be able to speed that up if you contact the original bank you had an issue with, offered to pay the overdraft -- even years later -- and explained what the situation was.

My friend worked in banking (as did I at one point but she handled this stuff.) She said the biggest problem for people is often the combination of over draft fees plus the fees some banks charge for bounced transactions It doesn't matter if you are two cents over the limit at their bank, you're going to end up being charged $25 dollars (per missed transaction) as a fee plus a daily overdraft fee of $35.00 a day until you right your account. So you could end up owing up to around crazy tons of money in a week or so in addition to, in some cases, whatever amount the bank said you were negative in the first place because occasionally they will cover your debt just once hoping that you put your money in there and right the account within 24 hours. I know the bank we worked for would remove the charges ONCE because mistakes happen (through your own fault or a company presenting an ACH payment when they shouldn't have) but after that you're screwed.

The bigger issue is if your credit card or debit card is stolen. If you get fleeced for 5K then any other bills that would have normally been paid wouldn't have been paid. So you'd have bounced checks or ACH payments left and right and maybe overdraft fees if you didn't have more than that in the one account. Yes, the bank will fix things that are absolutely not your fault but you'd have to right everything with everyone that presented a transaction to the account that didn't go through during that time and have to make sure you get the bank to wave all fees that occurred during that time which will sometimes require the bank and the party that presented a charge to your account to actually talk to each other.

[quote]My mom's classmate in university was stabbed to death by two men as she walked to her car with the day's cash from her family's dry cleaning store. They

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom's friend. That's a truly horrifying story. I can say that I do know personally at least one person and I've read about another near my location that were taken to ATMs to withdraw money from their cards at gunpoint.

If a robber wants money, they'll get it from you.

by Anonymousreply 209November 23, 2020 4:24 AM

For the questions, R169 has, and to the fucking ass toad R170.

The US is is a predatory capitalistic system. It would take far more time and effort to describe the myriad of ways this is the case, but this concerns the "un-banked".

All US banks are corrupt and have been bailed out numerous times by our federal government. This they take as an invitation to screw anyone with a pulse over given the opportunity. Bank account fraud, mortgage fraud, student loan fraud, are the main ones, but bank accounts themselves are beyond a fairly large group of people considering history, as any movement in the account warrants a fee, surcharge, monthly charge, and other ways to deplete the account.

Just last week on NPR a banking expert proposed how to do this, and it involved the banks themselves not besing greedy fucksticks for basic accounts, which of course is not their business model. I wish I could find that interview and post it. It was logical, fair, and would solve the unbanked issues we now have.

Stupid fat and grotesque rich people like the ones that deride the unbanked are the first ones to send a Mexican up a palm tree to have him trim it and PAY CASH, because he won't pay the white boy the going rate for white boy palm tree grooming. Just a note, the vast majority of palm tree trimming and landscaping is done by Mexicans on a cash-only basis. Or if they are legit, there are ways around that.

You see, Mexicans and anyone doing work on a cash basis want it that way as the banks charge you to cash a check at the bank it is drawn on. 10 bucks I believe. So there is a whole economic engine that will collapse if cash is not used, which means fat, stupid rich people will have to learn palm tree trimming, or pay the going rate, which of course they will not do.

The unbanked are hit with all manner of obstacles trying to open an account, such as credit reports, banks that are not even near them, the minimum balance, the INSANE overdraft fees, the monthly fees, and still the inability to deposit a check and have it put in their account and have it show up relatively quickly. It's a five-day hold on a check you receive I believe, and the poorest are the ones the most victimized by this practice.

This clip nicely and very accurately describes the US Banking system nested in a parasitic capitalistic society like ours.

I hope I have helped you R169.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210November 23, 2020 5:14 AM

Oh for fuck's sake r210 you are so full of shit. We're talking about a BASIC bank account. You certainly do not need a fucking credit report to open one. A check that is deposited clears in two business days. It used to take as long as two weeks.

[quote]as any movement in the account warrants a fee, surcharge, monthly charge, and other ways to deplete the account.

We're talking about basic deposits and withdrawals. If you use an ATM that is not your bank's yes there is a few of one or three dollars (usually) but that's it. If the account is not used x number of times in one month there's usually a fee of five dollars.

Honestly, you make a simple savings or checking account sound like the most complicated thing ever.

And this thread is not about the ills of capitalism, start another one if you want to talk about that.

by Anonymousreply 211November 23, 2020 5:24 AM

Yes, you need a credit report for a basic checking account. So everything else you say is shit.

by Anonymousreply 212November 23, 2020 5:27 AM

For you 211, Idiot.

"Even though you’re not actually applying to borrow money when you open a checking account, don’t be surprised if your bank wants to do a credit check before completing the account opening process. Banks pull credit reports to see if there’s any negative information about how you manage credit — information that indicates you could cost them money if they take you on as a customer. "

by Anonymousreply 213November 23, 2020 5:28 AM

No you do not.

by Anonymousreply 214November 23, 2020 5:29 AM

r213 that is not true. I think you might be thinking about Chexsystems, which something different. That's for people who have delinquent bank accounts due to abuse.

by Anonymousreply 215November 23, 2020 5:30 AM

R215, Chexsystems is basically a credit report, or a "hard pull" is sometimes used on you to get information from the credit reporting companies.

by Anonymousreply 216November 23, 2020 5:32 AM

It's about legal tender laws and making the economy bigger for everyone. Knee-jerk rightwingers on this thread ought to be lined up and guillotined.

by Anonymousreply 217November 23, 2020 5:33 AM

Chexsystems has nothing to do with a credit report. It is used to check whether or not a person has abandoned bank accounts that were overdrawn and never dealt with.

by Anonymousreply 218November 23, 2020 5:33 AM

r217 there are no "knee-jerk rightwingers" just people correcting your factual mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 219November 23, 2020 5:33 AM

A summary of charges for the poor unbanked that can obviously afford this.

*Sarcastic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220November 23, 2020 5:36 AM

R218, and has information on past credit history, but not a "hard pull" from a credit agency. Jesus, are you a VP at fucking Chase, or do you blow Jamie?

by Anonymousreply 221November 23, 2020 5:38 AM

Chexsystems is only used to check for delinquent bank accounts. Again, it is NOT a credit check. Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 222November 23, 2020 5:40 AM

[quote]A summary of charges for the poor unbanked that can obviously afford this.

I'm not seeing anything that's out of line or terrible expensive.

You're nailing yourself to your cross for "poor people" and trying to produce a narrative that has no basis in reality and is not anyone else problem.

by Anonymousreply 223November 23, 2020 5:43 AM

Nobody in the US is so poor that they can't afford basic charges of $5 per month or so on.

by Anonymousreply 224November 23, 2020 5:43 AM

Jesus R22 are you fucking dense? The Chexsystem score is used WITH a hard or soft pull on your credit report.

by Anonymousreply 225November 23, 2020 5:44 AM

There are credit unions that don't have any monthly fees.

by Anonymousreply 226November 23, 2020 5:44 AM

R224 You and the fucking MagaTRump fucker are out.

by Anonymousreply 227November 23, 2020 5:44 AM

[quote]The Chexsystem score is used WITH a hard or soft pull on your credit report.

No it's not. A fucking credit check is not required to open a bank account. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 228November 23, 2020 5:45 AM

r227 you're not the fucking boss of Datalounge. Just because somebody posts something you don't agree with doesn't make them a fucking MAGA Trump supporter.

by Anonymousreply 229November 23, 2020 5:46 AM

A ChexSystems report examines data submitted by banks in the past five years. A report may describe banking irregularities such as check overdrafts, unsettled balances, depositing fraudulent checks, or suspicious account handling. Banks may refuse to open a new deposit account for a consumer that has a negative item reported.

by Anonymousreply 230November 23, 2020 5:48 AM

How much your little cashless world depends on an aging poor electric grid and weak electronic security.

by Anonymousreply 231November 23, 2020 6:09 AM

Cashless is going to happen, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 232November 23, 2020 6:14 AM

Banking and financial systems are already electronic, and have been for years.

by Anonymousreply 233November 23, 2020 6:15 AM

How about those airlines only taking charge for in-flight purchases?

by Anonymousreply 234November 23, 2020 6:31 AM

[quote]More than half of unbanked households cited not having enough money to keep in an account,

BULLSHIT.

by Anonymousreply 235November 23, 2020 9:00 AM

And this is why R2 is white, clearly white.

Not everyone has a bank account or a debit card.

by Anonymousreply 236November 23, 2020 9:19 AM

Governments must mandate retail financial institutions, as part of their licensing, to provide a basic bank account, free of charges to all applicants.

by Anonymousreply 237November 23, 2020 9:32 AM

I haven't used cash since mid-March.

Haven't thought about it, haven't missed it.

by Anonymousreply 238November 23, 2020 9:38 AM

I'm the same R238.

I've used it once, to pay my casual gardener, after that I have his bank details to bank transfer him when he shows up.

by Anonymousreply 239November 23, 2020 9:47 AM

[quote]And this is why Democrats lose elections.

Hard-hitting and neutral political analysis from r2, who just happens to have "45" in their name.

by Anonymousreply 240November 23, 2020 9:52 AM

R237, I don’t see that happening in the US.

by Anonymousreply 241November 23, 2020 1:59 PM

Getting stuck behind an old person at the checkout paying in cash JFC. That's why I love self checkout, the olds are afraid to use it and often you can't pay with cash.

by Anonymousreply 242November 23, 2020 2:03 PM

[quote] Getting stuck behind an old person at the checkout paying in cash JFC.

Or writing a check.

by Anonymousreply 243November 23, 2020 2:18 PM

The customer should decide how they want to pay, not the store.

by Anonymousreply 244November 23, 2020 2:24 PM

Fuck the customers who pay cash and write checks, this is the 21st century. They hold up the damn line for everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 245November 23, 2020 2:53 PM

The Swedes have been going cashless for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246November 23, 2020 3:38 PM

The Swedes are an intelligent and very practical people.

by Anonymousreply 247November 23, 2020 3:55 PM

R242 this is for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248November 23, 2020 4:13 PM

r248 I feel sorry for you that you actually watch that piece of shit show. God, what happened to Alan Ball?

by Anonymousreply 249November 23, 2020 4:15 PM

There is no such thing as a “credit report.” The are called “consumer reports” and are governed by the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act). They are pulled to review consumers’ prior financial (and other qualifying) histories to deem worthiness, for credit, insurance, rentals and other services. ChexSystems included.

And, if you are only taking home $295 a week after taxes - which is above minimum wage - a $250 minimum balance requirement, a monthly five dollar account maintenance charge and even an occasional $35 overdraft fee (far more likely if you’ve only got $295 a week and are relying on checks to pay your rent and utilities rather than using cash), chances are you’re going to end having to choose between either walking to work or not eating a couple of days a month to cover your [italic] basic [/italic] banking fees.

by Anonymousreply 250November 23, 2020 4:19 PM

As long as you have criminals, drugs, prostitution, and street vendors, you need cash. Furthermore, not everyone wants every single purchase traceable, especially those in abusive relationships, where what you might think is a minor purchase, could result in a beating, or worse.

Also, everybody is responsible with expenditures, and using cash on hand is a good way to stay on budget. Cash is good for kids to learn about savings, and last I checked, the Tooth Fairy doesn’t Venmo.

by Anonymousreply 251November 23, 2020 4:27 PM

R249 no one stated that they watched the show. To whom are you speaking.

The reasons the clip was posted was to show that nasty little prick who loves the self checkouts that he IS the problem, that he has created this troubled world.

by Anonymousreply 252November 23, 2020 6:19 PM

[quote]The reasons the clip was posted was to show that nasty little prick who loves the self checkouts that he IS the problem, that he has created this troubled world.

WTF does loving self checkouts mean someone is a "nasty little prick?" Why do self checkouts create a "troubled world?" I swear to god I can't believe how odd and out of touch some of you are.

by Anonymousreply 253November 23, 2020 6:26 PM

r250 a five dollar monthly maintenance charge isn't going to send anyone to the poorhouse. And if you don't want overdraft fees, don't overdraw you account! Actually, many banks are pretty good at working with people about their overdraft fees. It does happen to everyone sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 254November 23, 2020 6:27 PM

R250 = poor

by Anonymousreply 255November 23, 2020 6:30 PM

The banks are so helpful.

Bank of America will set up a balance transfer of funds from one of the depositor’s [italic] other [/italic] account (something poor people are even less likely to have) to cover overdrafts in their primary account.

Oh, and BofA only charges $12 for each transfer.

by Anonymousreply 256November 23, 2020 6:37 PM

Only a moron would have an account with BoA. They are horrible. I'm relatively well-off and I would never do any banking with those fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 257November 23, 2020 6:39 PM

R255, I own more in Apple stock alone than you earn in a year.

by Anonymousreply 258November 23, 2020 6:40 PM

[quote] As long as you have criminals, drugs, prostitution, and street vendors, you need cash.

That’s what I was thinking too, that you have to consider the criminal nature of people who want to cash instead of electronic transactions. What are they trying to hide? It would clean some of that up by being cashless.

by Anonymousreply 259November 23, 2020 6:43 PM

Seriously, why are there so many unhinged people in this thread? What about this particular thread has attracted so many crazies?

by Anonymousreply 260November 23, 2020 6:44 PM

An online checking account from Capital One has no maintenance fee. I have an account there with currently less than $100 just to have a second checking account.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261November 23, 2020 6:46 PM

R258 = poor BITCH

by Anonymousreply 262November 23, 2020 6:47 PM

[quote] What about this particular thread has attracted so many crazies?

Because crazy people want to use cash.

by Anonymousreply 263November 23, 2020 6:48 PM

[quote]What about this particular thread has attracted so many crazies?

Yes, those pushing for a cashless society are pretty nuts.

by Anonymousreply 264November 23, 2020 6:54 PM

A cashless society is going to happen no matter what, just like print media such as newspapers and magazines will go extinct as soon as the Boomers are gone.

by Anonymousreply 265November 23, 2020 6:57 PM

Wow, I can't believe how dumb and dense R253 is.

by Anonymousreply 266November 23, 2020 7:19 PM

How so r266? You're reaction is quite odd.

by Anonymousreply 267November 23, 2020 7:59 PM

We live in a digital age. Cash is one of the last bastions of an analogue era.

10 years from now, we won't be using cash.

by Anonymousreply 268November 23, 2020 9:25 PM

The distance is irrelevant R207. I recently moved my secondary checking account from Chase (fuck them and their shitty savings APR) to a credit union in my area. I did it all online. I did not step foot (and still haven’t 6 months later) in a branch.

by Anonymousreply 269November 23, 2020 11:27 PM

I meant YOUR reaction is quite odd. But I guess that comes with shut ins.

by Anonymousreply 270November 23, 2020 11:42 PM

r269 we're still working on debit cards here with our dear elders. Online banking is a bit advanced.

by Anonymousreply 271November 23, 2020 11:43 PM

[quote]We live in a digital age. Cash is one of the last bastions of an analogue era.

[quote]10 years from now, we won't be using cash.

All indications are that people will still be using cash.

The resistance to a cashless society is growing.

NY is only the latest state to make it a LAW that business must accept cash.

Massachusetts, NJ, Rhode Island and the cities Philadelphia, and San Fransico have made it a law that cash cannot be refused.

That list will continue to grow as other states and cities are considering such measures.

And this past September the European Court of Justice has ruled that creditors have an obligation to accept cash as a form of payment. Businesses in Europe MUST accept cash.

No matter what YOU want, cash is here to stay. Some of you are so clueless.

by Anonymousreply 272November 24, 2020 12:03 AM

r272 the tide can't be turned back. When the Boomers are gone, cash will be gone.

by Anonymousreply 273November 24, 2020 12:05 AM

Then, R272, explain to us WHY a business should be forced to accept cash, and the very real associated costs than come with accepting cash.

Others (including myself), have demonstrated that there are many “real” bank options available.

Even if the real bank options don’t work, there are a wide variety of pre-paid debit cards that you can deposit your check to.

Have you ever cashed your check at a check chasing place? I have. The fees they charge are 5X what the debit companies like NetSpend charge.

Putting aside all that ...

You pay $100 at your grocery store, and you use your debit card, you pay $100.

I pay $100 with my credit card, and pay $$98.50 because I get 1.5% back, and these cards are not hard to get (check Capital One).

I pay $98.50, and you pay $100. Retailers already have this baked in, so you are paying for my rewards when you pay cash.

I don’t want to sound like a jerk (too late) but people paying cash are idiots and are pissing money away.

Charging something does not mean it immediately accrues interest. If you pay your bill, in full, by the due date, you have received a interest free loan.

by Anonymousreply 274November 24, 2020 12:17 AM

R274 Doll, fine. Pay as you please. No one is stopping you. I pay mostly with cards too. But the FACT is the resistance to a cashless society is growing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275November 24, 2020 12:27 AM

[quote]Then, [R272], explain to us WHY a business should be forced to accept cash, and the very real associated costs than come with accepting cash.

Because there are still a lot of people who are too fucking old and out of it to use other payment methods. Of course that will eventually change. The US is notorious for refusing to keep up with things. In the Scandinavian and Asian countries even the ancient old people do everything digitally now.

by Anonymousreply 276November 24, 2020 12:29 AM

[quote]No matter what YOU want, cash is here to stay. Some of you are so clueless.

That is such a ridiculous statement, made by a person who is living in the past.

I rarely see any cash transactions these days. The US is going digital and paperless, just like the rest of the first world whether you like it or not. With the US I can definitely see it taking longer, however. Sweden is already basically cashless.

by Anonymousreply 277November 24, 2020 12:32 AM

R277 It is NOW the LAW in Europe and a GROWING number of localities in the US: cash can NOT be refused. Got it?

R276 There are people doing menial jobs....handy men, house painters, gardeners, waiters working for tips, who depend on cash. People between jobs. They depend on cash and societies benefit to give leeway on this.

by Anonymousreply 278November 24, 2020 12:36 AM

Again, NYC stores must accept cash. this was the RULING. You have to accept USD in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279November 24, 2020 12:37 AM

[quote]That is such a ridiculous statement, made by a person who is living in the past.

No. The one living in the past is you.

The RECENT rulings in a number of places have made it a LAW that cash cannot be refused.

Do try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 280November 24, 2020 12:39 AM

[quote] It is NOW the LAW in Europe and a GROWING number of localities in the US: cash can NOT be refused. Got it?

[quote]The RECENT rulings in a number of places have made it a LAW that cash cannot be refused.

You really think this is going to stay forever? As has been said, it's to appease the olds who still use cash. When that generation is gone, cash will be too.

Nobody under the Boomer generation uses cash for anything. Just like they don't read newspapers.

by Anonymousreply 281November 24, 2020 12:47 AM

[quote]It is NOW the LAW in Europe

Except it isn't. Re-read the article you posted.

by Anonymousreply 282November 24, 2020 12:48 AM

And Amazon....the WORLD'S biggest retailer as reversed course:

"Amazon now accepting cash payments from U.S. customers"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283November 24, 2020 12:48 AM

Even debit cards are going away with people under a certain age, being replaced with Smartphone payments.

by Anonymousreply 284November 24, 2020 12:48 AM

All these fools who are so into being 100% cashless don’t understand that there are tons of people who don’t want to be forced into doing business with a bank. Doesn’t matter the reason, it’s their money, their choice. Why should they be forced to pay to access or move their cash if they don’t want to? We may move towards more electronic payments, but cash isn’t going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 285November 24, 2020 12:48 AM

[quote]All these fools who are so into being 100% cashless don’t understand that there are tons of people who don’t want to be forced into doing business with a bank.

Well then they're in for a world of shit when cash is gone. They'll have to adapt.

by Anonymousreply 286November 24, 2020 12:50 AM

R285 And why should businesses be forced to accept their custom if they don't want to? Luddites are not a protected class.

by Anonymousreply 287November 24, 2020 12:58 AM

R287 The laws being passed will ensure that people will still be able to pay in cash whether you like it or not. California will probably be next with a bill that is pending. Already the law in Berkley and San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 288November 24, 2020 1:03 AM

Again r288 the times are moving forward and cashless is going to happen. These laws are only around for the olds who still insist on using cash.

by Anonymousreply 289November 24, 2020 1:05 AM

"Bipartisan Senate bill would punish retailers for refusing cash payments"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290November 24, 2020 1:05 AM

SO fucking annoying when you're stuck in line behind someone counting out their bills - or god forbid -their change, then putting everything back in their purse or wallet. Not that it happens much anymore, but when it does you really notice it.

by Anonymousreply 291November 24, 2020 1:07 AM

R288 Doesn't answer the question I asked

by Anonymousreply 292November 24, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote]And why should businesses be forced to accept their custom if they don't want to?

Uh...if it's the law as it is in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts etc....businesses have no other choice if they want to stay in business.

And whether you like it or not, list of States and Cities that make it a law prohibiting the refusal to take cash is growing.

by Anonymousreply 293November 24, 2020 1:24 AM

R293 That's the best answer you can manage? Hilarious how you can't even attempt to defend the law you keep praising.

by Anonymousreply 294November 24, 2020 1:28 AM

Cash is King

MasterCard is plastic

by Anonymousreply 295November 24, 2020 1:36 AM

R 294 Hilarious that you can ask such a stupid question. "why should businesses be forced to accept their custom if they don't want to?" If it is the law, it is the LAW. Businesses must operate under the law. BTW: I pay mostly with cards. The only time I use cash is to tip waiters. And occasionally I use cash for small purchases like a cup of coffee. But if I were required by law to only use cards I would have no problem. But not everybody is like me.

by Anonymousreply 296November 24, 2020 1:38 AM

in the USA, you accept USD. Are you a fucking moron? USD is the currency in the USA. Who is the moron against this?

by Anonymousreply 297November 24, 2020 1:39 AM

r297 it's not about not accepting cash, it's about cash becoming more and more obsolete as the olds die off and younger generations pay with everything using digital.

by Anonymousreply 298November 24, 2020 1:40 AM

My guess is that all businesses by law will be required to accept cash in the US. The movement is growing: "Fifty-One Groups Voice Support for Payment Choice Act"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299November 24, 2020 1:44 AM

Lots of poverty in this thread. Ew.

by Anonymousreply 300November 24, 2020 1:44 AM

Lots of poverty in this thread. Ew.

by Anonymousreply 301November 24, 2020 1:44 AM

R296 If you think repeating the same thing makes you look less stupid, you're wrong.

by Anonymousreply 302November 24, 2020 1:46 AM

NYC is accepting USD, in the USA. A duh. WHAT THE FUCK is this post about?

by Anonymousreply 303November 24, 2020 1:47 AM

R303 There are quite a few idiots in this thread, but you really do take the cake. Not understanding the difference between dollars as a currency and dollars as cash is quite something.

by Anonymousreply 304November 24, 2020 1:49 AM

[r304] what kind of cake?

by Anonymousreply 305November 24, 2020 1:52 AM

[r304] what kind of cake?

by Anonymousreply 306November 24, 2020 1:52 AM

Let me know r280 when you go down to your local IRS office with thousands in cash. I’d really like to know the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 307November 24, 2020 2:11 AM

To think the loon Ritche Torres who pushed this dog of a bill into law now is heading to Washington, D.C. He is already on record saying such a law should be nationwide.

by Anonymousreply 308November 24, 2020 2:17 AM

San Francisco, the capital of tech, bans cashless stores

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309November 24, 2020 2:18 AM

Actually ... I just thought of something. Many states distribute assistance in the form of benefit Cards. There are no longer food “stamps” really.

Should a business be forced to take card payments even if the don’t want to?

by Anonymousreply 310November 24, 2020 2:18 AM

It’s not surprising that the lobbyists for criminals are able to get politicians to go along with requiring stores to take cash.

by Anonymousreply 311November 24, 2020 2:21 AM

Cash is a pain in the ass, I never use it. I don't even like using cards at the checkout anymore, but prefer my phone because it only takes a second.

I recently had some work done on my house that cost $6000 and the contractor insisted on being paid in cash. Okay fine. I'm sure he only accepts cash payments because he doesn't pay taxes but whatever that's not my business. I left work early to go to a branch of my bank (I hadn't physically been in a bank in god knows how long) and when I went to withdraw the money the teller refused and called the manager over who told me that they can't let a customer withdraw that much cash without prior notice? "Prior notice? What does that mean?" I was told that I should've given them a WEEK's notice and them made an APPOINTMENT to come in. Unbelievable. I explained that the contractor was at my house and waiting for his money, this was only a one-time thing and in the unlikely event I would need to do this in the future I would follow the procedure, which until then I knew nothing about. They made an exception and let me take out the money.

by Anonymousreply 312November 24, 2020 2:24 AM

I love this thread, it’s our own digital time capsule. Bookmark this thread for 2030!

by Anonymousreply 313November 24, 2020 3:37 AM

[quote]The customer should decide how they want to pay, not the store.

No, the person who owns the goods should decide what is acceptable. The person who wants the goods can make an offer but the person who owns the goods should have the final say. Here are your acceptable methods of payment. You don't like it? Go somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 314November 24, 2020 4:11 AM

Who the fuck is in a physical store . . . waiting in line for fuck's sake . . . behind all these people writing checks and counting out bills.

How old are you freaks?

Brick-and-mortar stores must be a safety bwankey for you. They'll be gone as soon as you luddites die off.

by Anonymousreply 315November 24, 2020 4:12 AM

r315 you don't go to grocery stores or pharmacies?

by Anonymousreply 316November 24, 2020 4:15 AM

No, of course not.

by Anonymousreply 317November 24, 2020 4:55 AM

R314 is part of the conservative fallacy. An economy is driven by wants not by sellers.

by Anonymousreply 318November 24, 2020 5:00 AM

r317 what if you need something right away?

by Anonymousreply 319November 24, 2020 5:04 AM

r315 is a parody post.

by Anonymousreply 320November 24, 2020 5:07 AM

R318 If that's true then why is this law necessary? Shouldn't the economic demand from the cash-payers mean there's no need for any law?

And stop trying to label anyone who disagrees with you as a conservative, it just makes you look stupid and insecure.

by Anonymousreply 321November 24, 2020 5:27 AM

R312 And that is exactly why an all-cashless society is dangerous. You couldn’t even access your hard earned money when you wanted. The bank will decide FOR YOU, if and when you can spend your own money.

Something similar happened to me. On a trip abroad, I came across a mom and pop shop in a small town that sold custom made clothing. I kept their information and recently decided to place an order. The store owner said I could send a bank transfer as payment or send the money via Western Union as they didn’t have a credit card setup. I set up the transfer (it was for $150 going to XYZ Boutique). A few days later, I get a letter from the bank saying they had launched an investigation and needed to speak to me in person about the transfer. Went down to the branch and was asked where I sent the money (duh, it says XYZ Boutique) and what the money is for (a fucking jacket). They were apologetic about the hassle, but getting questioned over a one-time transfer in such a piddly amount was ridiculous and intrusive. I told the manager I’m sure there are people laundering millions through the bank but you’re concerned over a paltry one time amount. I would have been better off taking a wad of actual cash money to the local gas station that has a Western Union counter to make the payment.

by Anonymousreply 322November 24, 2020 6:13 AM

[quote] And that is exactly why an all-cashless society is dangerous. You couldn’t even access your hard earned money when you wanted. The bank will decide FOR YOU, if and when you can spend your own money.

Actually, it was the opposite. Getting cash money was a pain in the ass. A check or Venmo would've been simple.

by Anonymousreply 323November 24, 2020 6:16 AM

LOL R322 really thought he was making a point there

by Anonymousreply 324November 24, 2020 6:18 AM

I always thought that cash money was legal tender for all debts public and private.

by Anonymousreply 325November 24, 2020 8:09 AM

R323 My point was the bank controlled access to your money, not you. Going completely cashless gives financial institutions even more control.

by Anonymousreply 326November 24, 2020 8:39 AM

R324 LOL Sorry you’re such a mental midget you weren’t able to understand my point.

by Anonymousreply 327November 24, 2020 8:43 AM

R326 Thinks you should keep your money under your mattress instead of in a bank.

by Anonymousreply 328November 24, 2020 8:46 AM

Here's a 2019 article about the Amazon Go shops that initially did not accept cash payments.

I'm puzzled by the link at R155. R159 is right; in Italy and Spain you can spend a long time in shops of all sorts and see very few cash transactions. There are some exceptions, in a Chinese bazar or some small shops in Spain there may be a €5 minimum purchase for use of a card, though other types of shops accept the fees for small transactions as a cost of business and retaining clients. One hold-out: for tipping, cash is definitely the preferred medium.

The shopper who has to dig out a wallet and find some bills and then, elsewhere some coins? You see it very often in the U.S., and rarely in Italy or Spain, even in small towns. In both countries the governments actively push for decreased reliance upon cash as a way to curb black market money. And interpersonal and business payments rely on direct bank transfers which everyone is accustomed to: automatic payments (with no service fees) for mobile phone service, utilities, splitting the expenses for a joint holiday with friends, buying second-hand items... Paying cash is for giving your grandchild €50 at Xmas or on a birthday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329November 24, 2020 10:00 AM

Stop lying R281 it is not and 'olds' issue. I live in Berlin and it is the young who are refusing the debit card system.

by Anonymousreply 330November 24, 2020 10:12 AM

[quote][R159] is right; in Italy and Spain you can spend a long time in shops of all sorts and see very few cash transactions.

For daily life in Italy cash is still king.

The cafe. Our daily fruit and vegetable market in the main square. Our bi weekly outdoor market that takes over the town and sells mostly clothing and household goods with hundreds of vendors. And all the small shops for bread, cheese, the butcher, the newsstand, the tabaccheria....people pay almost exclusively in cash.

by Anonymousreply 331November 24, 2020 11:54 AM

Wow many elitist attitudes in here. Obviously know no one poor or struggle, but pretend to be on the left.

by Anonymousreply 332November 24, 2020 2:00 PM

Oh dear! Amazon accepts cash! What will the credit card only people do?

The hostility to people that are unbanked and use cash sometimes, frequently, or all the time is nuts frankly. The only thing I could see is that somehow they feel superior since they can do something and cause others not to have that ability.

Seriously demented people who hate poor people here.

By the way, I do pay with cash. A LOT, but also pay with my Galaxy 3 watch or One Note 10 Plus phone at the checkout at times. Do you know what I do see a lot taped to the swipe machine? "NO APPLE PAY."

Stupid fucks.

by Anonymousreply 333November 24, 2020 2:09 PM

If USPS offices could be community banks, as in other countries (Japan, etc.), we wouldn't have this problem: no one would be unbanked. Then we could move to cashless everything.

by Anonymousreply 334November 24, 2020 2:18 PM

Oh, and also, I have been held up at the checkout zero times since the turn of the century by people writing checks. Do you want to know who holds up the line? Stupid Apple people that can't read the sign "No Apple Pay" that then are fumbling around for their card, as I just hold my Samsung watch next to the swipe machine and pay. Samsung is taken, but no Apple pay at Ralph's and many other stores. Gee, wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 335November 24, 2020 2:26 PM

Ralph's (and all Kroger stores) and Walmart are the outliers (though the two biggest outliers).

Safeway/Albertson's, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Costco, BJ's, Cub Foods, Trader Joe's, etc. all take Apple Pay/Google Wallet so this:

[quote]but no Apple pay at Ralph's and many other stores

is an exaggeration at best.

Not only that, but Walmart and Kroger's beef isn't the technology itself, but financial and access to data.

by Anonymousreply 336November 24, 2020 2:38 PM

R336, Don't care. All I know is that people using Apple Pay should not be able to use it as it holds up the lines when they discover they can't. See how easy that is to group things into an idiotic point of view, say like not letting people use cash?

by Anonymousreply 337November 24, 2020 2:48 PM

For those Europeans who don’t understand world history, America has a problem with black people. Rules are made a certain way in order to keep black people from getting money or power, or even a foothold in society.

Before you get outraged, keep in mind Americans did not declare all-out war in the 1990s, committing atrocities against its next door neighbors because of their religion/ethnicity. That was Europe.

War waged in the name of ethnicity is still ongoing on in parts of Europe in post-USSR countries like Ukraine, Georgia & Armenia.

Stop pretending you can’t possibly understand inequities in society that are designed to give a leg up to a designated ethnic/racial group in an effort to keep The Other from progressing.

by Anonymousreply 338November 24, 2020 3:02 PM

R338, Nice job!

by Anonymousreply 339November 24, 2020 3:03 PM

But I don’t understand your banking system! I dont understand your elections! I don’t understand your politicians! I don’t understand your infrastructure! I don’t understand your health care! I don’t understand what are state powers vs federal power! I don’t understand your units of measurement! I don’t understand how your write dates! Why don’t you *just change everything* to the way we do it?

by Anonymousreply 340November 24, 2020 3:08 PM

Two main groups moaned about cashless retail; old people and the "poor" or as Ritche Torres calls them "unbanked".

Haven't used cash and certainly coins in ages since there is really no need in NYC. Not even parking meters take cash/coins, same for laundromats (all have long since moved on to card reading machines). Highways, bridges and tunnels are toll less meaning you use an EZ-Pass or a camera takes picture of license plate and sends bill to registered owner.

This whole thing is just stupid; and yet another way city micromanages businesses which in turn continues to feed into narrative this place is one of the most unfriendly places for same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341November 24, 2020 4:41 PM

You gays bitch/obsess about cash only 'cause you don't have any.

by Anonymousreply 342November 24, 2020 4:54 PM

If the government offered an incentive to low income individuals for opening bank accounts, use of cash would probably dwindle. It has nothing to do with hating the poor. I bet when EBT/food stamps moved to debit card format no one complained, if your assistance is coming in that format only you just deal with it to get your money.

by Anonymousreply 343November 24, 2020 5:11 PM

[quote]Before you get outraged, keep in mind Americans did not declare all-out war in the 1990s, committing atrocities against its next door neighbors because of their religion/ethnicity. That was Europe.

Because Europe is a single country?

[quote]The hostility to people that are unbanked

Hilarious comment coming from someone who has no interest in actually helping them. Myself and others have repeatedly said banks should be made to offer no-cost basic bank accounts to everyone. Yet you act like this is impossible. You have no desire to help poor people, you just use them to hide behind.

by Anonymousreply 344November 24, 2020 5:53 PM

If I’m in line ahead of you it’s my prerogative to use my Apple Pay or dig in my pocket for currency or flirt with the boxboy or write a check or get a price-check or whatever I want to hold up the queue. It’s a power thing, so fuck you with your Samsung or Google Wallet device. And I just crop-dusted the front of the line to make it memorable for you.

by Anonymousreply 345November 24, 2020 8:59 PM

[quote]my Galaxy 3 watch

Pieces of shit, those are.

by Anonymousreply 346November 24, 2020 9:02 PM

[quote]For those Europeans who don’t understand world history, America has a problem with black people. Rules are made a certain way in order to keep black people from getting money or power, or even a foothold in society.

Please. They can get a basic fucking bank account. Of course, blacks are children and need to be coddled according to our woke friends.

by Anonymousreply 347November 24, 2020 9:04 PM

R343

Low income people have all sorts of issues using banks; but main one however is they cannot (or will not) keep enough in account to satisfy monthly minimum balance requirements. So they get hit with fees each month for that alone.

Other issue is far too many poor treat bank accounts like check cashing places. Their pay is deposited on Friday and account is virtually empty by same time next week.

Finally these people just don't understand (or don't want to) how banking system works. They write checks when money isn't in account, or use ATM/debit card to make withdrawals even though a check written hasn't cleared their account. Result is bounced checks and accounts overdrawn constantly. This is where they start to run game....

Stood in line once behind this person who was arguing with teller...

Customer: I want to deposit my paycheck and get cash back..

Teller: Your account is overdrawn and I cannot do that; you have to deposit check and wait for it to clear....

Customer: But they are going to take that overdrawn amount out of my check.....

Teller: Yes, they will you will have the balance remaining (if any).

Customer: But I NEED all my money! Why can't you deposit this check and not take out the overdraft?

Teller: Ma'am it's not me; you owe the bank money....

Customer: This is some motherfucking bullshit. Get me a manager.......

Happily another teller opened up so was able to get my business done; but still could hear that customer's big mouth.

Apparently fully knowing her account was already overdrawn she wrote more checks that were going to hit account that day or next and needed every penny to cover. Supervisor of teller, branch manager all told her same thing; "NO". Check must be deposited and clear...

In end so many of these people end up accounts closed for cause and reported to ChexSystems. They are better off just using a check cashing place or something; less drama all way around.

by Anonymousreply 348November 24, 2020 9:19 PM

r348 you can't fix stupid.

by Anonymousreply 349November 24, 2020 9:20 PM

Agreed R199. I was hoping Covid would speed things up.

by Anonymousreply 350November 24, 2020 11:45 PM

[quote] Because Europe is a single country?

Europe sat on its ass & let people get slaughtered in the 90s. America had to come in and finish yet another European war

by Anonymousreply 351November 25, 2020 1:44 AM

In case you were wondering which side was the insane bunch of fucking assholes cut off from reality, just look at R350.

by Anonymousreply 352November 25, 2020 1:56 AM

[quote]Europe sat on its ass & let people get slaughtered in the 90s. America had to come in and finish yet another European war

America didn't intervene in the Bosnian conflict.

by Anonymousreply 353November 25, 2020 2:53 AM

[quote]is part of the conservative fallacy. An economy is driven by wants not by sellers

No, supporting printing of more bills and not being able to track purchases would be conservative.

We need less paper usage and more accountibility.

The dinosaurs who keep their savings under a floorboard can get fucked.

If you can't get a bank account then you are lying.

If you don't have anything to hide then you can use a debit card or credit card.

by Anonymousreply 354November 26, 2020 1:41 AM

R354 You're wrong. Every city and state that wisely requires businesses to accept cash is run by Dems. Berkley and SF are about as liberal as you can get. The one who can get fucked is you.

by Anonymousreply 355November 26, 2020 1:57 AM

[quote]If you don't have anything to hide

How very fascist

by Anonymousreply 356November 26, 2020 3:43 AM

the ruling is this: businesses must accept cash. No one is being forced to use a smartphone or get a debit card.

by Anonymousreply 357November 26, 2020 5:25 AM

I got stuck in line behind an old lady yesterday who counted out her bills on the counter, then she got out her changepurse and counted out exact change. FUCK! It's so annoying.

by Anonymousreply 358November 26, 2020 2:46 PM

I got stuck behind someone the other day paying with a card. The card kept being rejected, the machine couldn't read the chip. After about 10 tries ...wiping the card etc...it finally went through. FUCK! It's so annoying.

by Anonymousreply 359November 26, 2020 3:35 PM

r359 they should've paid with a Smartphone.

by Anonymousreply 360November 26, 2020 4:23 PM

R359, So true.

"Do I put it in now?"

"Which way?"

"Oh, I put it in too soon."

"I pulled it out too fast?"

"Let's try that again."

"I don't know why that's not going through, hold on, let me get another card."

by Anonymousreply 361November 26, 2020 9:45 PM

Card malfunctions don't happen that often, but people counting out their cash and change drives everybody behind them in line batshit.

I was initially surprised that so many here got all pissy and defensive because they used cash, but then I remembered how old a lot of posters here are.

by Anonymousreply 362November 26, 2020 9:50 PM

If you're in a checkout line in LA and you don't pay with a Smartphone people think you're a loser. Even cards are passé at the checkout now.

by Anonymousreply 363November 26, 2020 9:56 PM

R363 Even more of a reason to pay in cash.

by Anonymousreply 364November 26, 2020 10:27 PM

Why are you still paying in cash r364? Get with the program.

by Anonymousreply 365November 26, 2020 10:29 PM

I have a feeling some of the contempt for going cashless on here is coming from strippers, prostitutes, bar tenders and drag queens...

by Anonymousreply 366November 26, 2020 10:29 PM

No, r366 just the usual shut-ins who stopped paying attention to the world circa 1990. My straight small-town older relatives are more in tune with the times than a lot of the gay men on here, which amazes me.

by Anonymousreply 367November 26, 2020 10:31 PM

Reading these replies, I ... don’t know that it is an age thing (maybe I’m wrong).

I’m 46 (and elder gay by DL standards) and never use cash.

My father, who is 70, never uses cash. He uses his debit card, which I’ve tried to steer him to a cash back credit card, but he isn’t having it. Still though, he never uses cash (though I admit he keeps $40 on him at all times, which I don’t do).

I think it is more of a paranoid/psych issue than anything.

What if there is a blackout? Well bitches if there is, then those registers aren’t going to work anyway.

by Anonymousreply 368November 26, 2020 10:39 PM

R367 Being "in tune with the times" is understanding that the move to require businesses to accept cash is growing. And at the forefront are the most progressive states and cities.

by Anonymousreply 369November 26, 2020 10:48 PM

r369 you have it backwards. Even my older relatives have Smartphones and pay either with them or with cards. I honestly can't believe that gay men, of all people, can be so out of it when it comes to modern life.

And also, cash acceptance at businesses is strictly to accomodate older people who refuse to budge. Once the Boomers are gone, we'll be cashless. The US is so far behind the rest of the first world when it comes to this. As has been said, in countries like Britain and Sweden they're nearly already there. But Americans are notorious for not wanting to change or adapt.

by Anonymousreply 370November 26, 2020 10:55 PM

[quote]Being "in tune with the times" is understanding that the move to require businesses to accept cash is growing.

Oh yes, SO many people are DEMANDING to use cash everywhere they go! It's strictly stubborn olds who do this.

by Anonymousreply 371November 26, 2020 10:56 PM

R368 No one, but no one,is disputing the fact that more and more people make their payments with cards or phones. I do so almost exclusively. And no one wants to prevent you from doing so.

However it should not bother you in the least that some of us like the idea of having a choice.

But no matter: whether you like it or not, whether you disagree or not, the move to require businesses to accept cash is GROWING.

Furthermore Re: Europe

All businesses in countries under the Euro are required to accept cash.

by Anonymousreply 372November 26, 2020 11:08 PM

Post R372 is for R370.

by Anonymousreply 373November 26, 2020 11:12 PM

Of course businesses are required to accept cash. It's only been said that cash is outdated and a pain in the ass and only some old people use it now.

And In some European and East Asian countries practically no one uses cash anymore, not even the olds.

by Anonymousreply 374November 26, 2020 11:12 PM

R374 You really are dumb.

In the US, businesses in most states can refuse cash payments.

Try reading the thread title.

by Anonymousreply 375November 26, 2020 11:21 PM

r375 US businesses are required to take cash in many instances, what I wrote was not incorrect. I don't know why some of you insist on cash, though. It's like using a typewriter or reading print media at this point.

by Anonymousreply 376November 26, 2020 11:24 PM

Actually, my comment at r374 was in reference to EU countries

by Anonymousreply 377November 26, 2020 11:24 PM

[quote]I got stuck in line behind an old lady yesterday who counted out her bills on the counter, then she got out her changepurse and counted out exact change. FUCK! It's so annoying.

Why are you even in a store gramps? Have that shit delivered.

by Anonymousreply 378November 26, 2020 11:27 PM

r378 sometimes you need shit RIGHT NOW.

by Anonymousreply 379November 26, 2020 11:28 PM

[quote]I don't know why some of you insist on cash, though. It's like using a typewriter or reading print media at this point.

Stop being worried about what other people do. Mind your own business.

And your attitude about old people and people in less fortunate circumstances shows what a judgmental bigot you are.

by Anonymousreply 380November 26, 2020 11:29 PM

Karen alert at R378

by Anonymousreply 381November 26, 2020 11:30 PM

r380 you need to get off your cross. We need the wood.

by Anonymousreply 382November 26, 2020 11:40 PM

In the EU, even the poors use cards and their phones.

by Anonymousreply 383November 26, 2020 11:40 PM

[quote]I have a feeling some of the contempt for going cashless on here is coming from strippers, prostitutes, bar tenders and drag queens...

I have a feeling that some of the contempt for people who occasionally use cash is coming from people who can't count.

I work in a library. There are things like printing and copying that require less than a $1 and people don't have it. They have to go through the entire hassle of putting it on their credit/debit cards. They are fucking idiots. And, the number of people whose phones aren't charged or aren't working on any given day is ridiculous. So, what do you do when you're out to dinner, the bill comes, and your phone doesn't work? Especially if you're so stupid that you can't figure out that you need to at least carry some cash.

by Anonymousreply 384November 27, 2020 12:32 AM

[quote] They have to go through the entire hassle of putting it on their credit/debit cards.

Yes it's SUCH a hassle to stick your card in a fucking machine. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 385November 27, 2020 12:45 AM

[quote]So, what do you do when you're out to dinner, the bill comes, and your phone doesn't work?

Ask to plug your phone in. The restaurant will let you do that. Or someone you're with will have a portable charger.

Nobody I know has an uncharged phone these days, esp. if they're going out for the night.

by Anonymousreply 386November 27, 2020 12:47 AM

Yes, it is, moron at R385. They literally have to have their amounts totalled and then walk to the other end of the library to pay at the desk. The amount has to be entered into the system and then charged to them and then they swipe their card. All for 50 cents worth of copying. They are fucking idiots.

And R386, I didn't say their phone wasn't charged. I said their phone didn't work. And, as I stated, I have actual, daily, real world experience with people where it's a 50/50 shot whether their phone is going to work on any given day. Are you going to buy new phones for everyone, too? Again, the bubbles some of you exist in are fucking hilarious in their limitations, especially considering how worldly and culturally advanced your consider yourself to be while living in that tiny little bubble.

by Anonymousreply 387November 27, 2020 12:51 AM

[quote]The amount has to be entered into the system and then charged to them and then they swipe their card. All for 50 cents worth of copying. They are fucking idiots.

Carrying change around in your pocket? No thanks.

[quote] I didn't say their phone wasn't charged. I said their phone didn't work. And, as I stated, I have actual, daily, real world experience with people where it's a 50/50 shot whether their phone is going to work on any given day.

I have yet to meet anyone in the real world who doesn't have a credit or debit card on them.

by Anonymousreply 388November 27, 2020 1:43 AM

[quote] Again, the bubbles some of you exist in are fucking hilarious in their limitations, especially considering how worldly and culturally advanced your consider yourself to be while living in that tiny little bubble.

The "bubble" we live in is called 21st Century society, dear. Do try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 389November 27, 2020 1:44 AM

R389, no, it's not. Not if you never encounter anyone without some form of smartpay on their shiny new phone or someone who doesn't have a credit card. Over 40% of this nation is at poverty level and couldn't afford a $400 emergency expense on any given day. Your bubbles don't include 40% of the population, at least. You sound like a child.

by Anonymousreply 390November 27, 2020 5:19 AM

You can get a debit card, you don't need a credit card. Hell, you can get prepaid credit cards at many stores. Stop with the "oh, but poor people" shit.

[quote]Over 40% of this nation is at poverty level and couldn't afford a $400 emergency expense on any given day.

And what the fuck does that have to do with paying cash for everything?

by Anonymousreply 391November 27, 2020 5:42 AM

R374 you need to get out more.

Asia is loaded with street food and those vendors only accept cash.

It has nothing to do with age, my mother loves her debit card. I am almost 50 years younger than she and only use cash. I live in Berlin where debits are rarely accepted.

by Anonymousreply 392November 27, 2020 8:11 AM

I had no problem paying by card/phone in Berlin.

by Anonymousreply 393November 27, 2020 1:06 PM

Read the terms and conditions for Amazon's cash on delivery. They're pretty alarming. Below is just a snippet of them.

"The payment option of Cash on Delivery is available only for items sold by Amazon.com. Cash on Delivery not available for purchases containing any items sold by another seller. Cash on Delivery can be used as payment method only for orders less than $1,500 USD."

So Amazon delivery drivers, who don't make that much to begin with, also have to risk their lives knowing that at any moment they can get robbed for all the cash they have on them to accommodate this?

by Anonymousreply 394November 28, 2020 2:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!