Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Faye Dunaway and Marcello Mastroianni

I knew that they had dated for a few years back in the late 1960s, but I was surprised to come across an old interview with Mastroianni from 1987 in which he said she was basically the love of his life and the one that got away. Apparently she wanted to marry him and have children, but he would not divorce his wife even though they had already been more or less separated for a number of years, and Dunaway eventually got tired of waiting and moved on. It surprised me because she seemed more abrasive than some of the other women he dated, and yet more than 20 years after they broke up he still viewed her as the one. He never did get a divorce from his first wife at any point, but they were only really married on paper, and over the years he became quite open about other women he dated like Catherine Deneuve (with whom he had a daughter just a couple of years after he and Dunaway split). I wonder if Dunaway had any regrets later on about the way things worked out.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2020 9:47 AM

Well he says it was his marriage but maybe in the back of his head he was thinking about what the kids would look like ....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2020 8:37 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 8:38 PM

Thanks, Op, I never knew this, though in this case he got luckier with Deneuve...

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 8:40 PM

Dorothy Faye was probably different when she was rapturously in love.

Had they married, all her neurosi would surely have resurfaced once the honeymoon was over. (Especially since he’d never have stayed faithful.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 8:55 PM

I expect Dorothy Faye's ticky boom was apparent back then as well but he was too discreet to mention it. He also probably decided it was good for business to mythologize it.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 8:57 PM

Being Catholic is such a good excuse for so many things.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2020 9:04 PM

"he would not divorce his wife even though they were more or less separated" - the oldest line in the book. No wonder Faye got tired of waiting and moved on.

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 9:11 PM

She was gorgeous when young, Marcello sure did good with famous, beautiful and talented women, strangely i never found him attractive (though i can see the cool).

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 9:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2020 9:39 PM

Faye never had nice nostrils, did she.

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 10:04 PM

R2 needs a NSFL warning.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2020 10:15 PM

Gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2020 12:54 AM

Can you post that 1987 interview?

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2020 7:41 AM

Here's their epic A Place for Lovers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2020 7:46 AM

None of Marcello's kids looks as remotely gorgeous as the father, they are just MEH looking.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2020 8:07 AM

Marcello Mastroianni doesn't do a thing for me; now when it comes to Italian actors of past give me Rossano Brazzi any of the week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2020 8:08 AM

R13, here is the 1987 interview from People.

Some quotes in it about his relationships with Dunaway and Deneuve:

[quote]"I am not in fact a seducer,” he protests. “I have been more seduced—and abandoned.” Furthermore: “Once they call you a great lover, you’re in trouble. Women expect an Oscar performance in bed.” A friend agrees that “Marcello has never been a chaser. You see, he really believes in love. All his loves have been true loves.”

None so true, so scorching, so disastrous as his passion for Faye Dunaway. They met in 1968, when they filmed A Place for Lovers. “We were in an empty town,” he remembers, “and I was bored.” But what was lit as a firecracker turned out to be dynamite. “She had the hands of an old woman,” he once recalled. “Full of veins, of marks. A squashed nose, broken at the bridge, incredible! But her face was pale and luminous. With mystery in it, a madness in her eye. And she loved me, how she loved me!”

Faye wanted to marry and have children. So did Mastroianni. Fellini urged him, even his teenage daughter urged him to take the leap. But Mastroianni couldn’t bear to hurt his wife. Faye waited three years. Then she went to Spain to make a movie and met actor Harris Yulin. She called Mastroianni and told him it was over. Stunned, he flew to Madrid, where they staged a shouting match in a hotel lobby. “You can stretch a rubber band just so far,” Faye told him, “and then it snaps.” And that’s the way it ended.

On the rebound, Mastroianni landed in the arms of Catherine Deneuve, his co-star in 1972’s It Only Happens to Others. They were together for three years, and after they had a daughter, Chiara, out of wedlock, he thought they would be together forever. But one day Catherine, like Faye, said it was over. “I’ve been told,” he says ruefully, “that I arrive by the door and leave by the window.” Both endings were “brutal, unexpected.” The fault? “Mostly mine. For a time you succeed in subtly dictating your game. Then one day they told me, ‘You appear sweet and gentle. Instead, you’re a monstrous egotist. You play according to your own rules.’ And it’s mostly true.” But not entirely? “They wanted to change me. They scolded me, exacting from me clarity and solidity. I would like to be less loved but more respected. Taken for what I am.”

Mastroianni may never get over Faye. “She was the woman I loved the most. I’ll always be sorry to have lost her. I was whole with her for the first time in my life.” After the breakup with Catherine, says a friend, “Marcello went through a period of heavy drinking.” But he found a new balance in the early 1980s, when he met Anna Maria Tatò, now in her mid-30s. “She’s a movie director and a solid person.” In time Mastroianni repaired his friendship with Deneuve—their love for Chiara brought them together again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2020 1:36 PM

[quote]R17 “I would like to be less loved but more respected. Taken for what I am.”

A married man...

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2020 5:04 AM

Faye Dunaway kept a rent regulated apartment in Yorkville/UES NYC long after she became a famous actress. Landlord finally got wise and tried to give her the push, but Ms. Dunaway fought back, and whole mess landed in court.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2020 9:43 AM

We're not talking high end digs here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2020 9:45 AM

Renovated apartment in same building, am sure Ms. Dunaway's former unit looked nothing like this at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2020 9:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!