Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are your perceptions of non-Western art? Any favorite pieces?

I have never studied art history formally, but I know something about Italian and Northern Renaissance paintings and book illustrations, and a little about medieval manuscripts.

I have looked at a lot of Chinese art and now I'm onto art of the Persian and Mughal Empires. Chinese art, at least for me, is an acquired taste. In particular, the use of perspective is so different from European Renaissance painting and it really requires a shift in expectation on the part of the viewer. I really like Chinese painting now, especially of the Ming and Qing dynasties. (Tang, Song, and anything earlier I don't like quite as much.)

For whatever reason, I am not warming to Persian and Mughal (below) art. I'm not sure why ... something about it -- the colors? -- grates. Maybe I just haven't looked at enough. And I admit I am very ignorant of its art historical context. Sometimes I wonder if I've been unconsciously conditioned to look at all art through a Western perspective and it negatively impacts my taste.

What are some of your favorite pieces of non-Western art, DL? Help me expand my horizons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4711/23/2020

Persian miniature:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111/21/2020

I do love a lot of Asian art. Japanese, Mughal and Persian, Indian arts/crafts/textile design. I also do love "Islamic" art: some of the artwork on buildings is beautiful. Nice that you are broadening your horizons aesthetically.

by Anonymousreply 211/21/2020

Here are the basic non western art traditions.

East Asian, southeast Asian, south Asian including Indian-Persian, and Sub Saharan. There's also tribal art traditions predating all these but now a minor but very wide spread stream.

There are variations of these.

Did I leave anything out?

by Anonymousreply 311/21/2020

Gold work of ancient American empires is amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411/21/2020

None of it compares to the greatness Europe produced.

by Anonymousreply 511/21/2020

^ Nothing compared to your ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 611/21/2020

I used to think Chinese watercolors like this one were so highly stylized and clichéd that I dismissed them. Then I visited southern China and discovered that they are realistic to the point of being photographic. The strange stone landscapes. The mist rendering everything monochromatic. Clearly you see things differently when you have different things to see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 711/21/2020

r7 I lived in (northern) China for a while and I think it helped me develop an appreciation for the Chinese aesthetic.

I never made it to the south, sadly. A Chinese friend told me Guilin is considered the most beautiful place in China. I would also love to visit Anhui

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 811/21/2020

R6 Please list the great masters of non western art that you feel compare to the Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 911/21/2020

R6 it is also a different way of seeing. Not just what you are seeing.

Here's a one minute clip from a film called A Day in the Canal with the Emperor of China, where David Hockney opens ones eyes to the Chinese way of seeing in their art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1011/21/2020

R10 Oh please. What Hockney is describing there is pretty elementary. Nothing the Romans weren't doing BC. For sophisticated use of perspective study Vermeer.

by Anonymousreply 1111/21/2020

"Bharat Mata" by Abanindranath Tagore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1211/21/2020

"Manasa" by Jamini Roy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1311/21/2020

I really enjoy Japanese art. They understand economy of color and form, and like Chinese art, there is a large emphasis on the emotion imbued in a brush stroke. I just love this paining of a raccoon wrapped around a tea kettle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1411/21/2020

R11 there's no competition in art. Art is art. Each makes us see. Each is a world view. There's no need to put down one to like another, except to Philistines.

You should watch the while film, it's only an hour.

by Anonymousreply 1511/21/2020

I like Persian manuscript painting as much for the storytelling aspect as for the aesthetics. I like the marginal notes and people or animals used as decoration in western illuminated manuscripts for similar reasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1611/21/2020

Among the 'tribal' art traditions so offhandedly dismissed above, I would single out Australian aboriginal art, a product of the world's oldest continuous cultures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1711/21/2020

Oh I didn't mean to dismiss tribal art. What would Picasso be without it? And yes I like aboriginal Australian art, the little that I've interacted with ur.

by Anonymousreply 1811/21/2020

[quote]there's no competition in art.

Of course there is.

Otherwise everything is art and everyone is an artist.

If that's your view, fine.

by Anonymousreply 1911/21/2020

Forget that eastern spawn of the pagans, nothing says art like a Hummel of two wee children giving the nazi salute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2011/21/2020

R20 Hummel figurines?. Nothing says art like this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2111/21/2020

[Quote] Otherwise everything is art and everyone is an artist.

Sure, put that way. You think art is what you or I or a critic says it is?

by Anonymousreply 2211/21/2020

R22 Like it or not, there has always been someone in a position to decide what goes and what doesn't. Even in the world that R17 linked too.

by Anonymousreply 2311/21/2020

"to"

by Anonymousreply 2411/21/2020

I like this Hokusai (Japanese) wave. I think it's woodblock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2511/21/2020

Of course. That's why we say the cave paintings at Lascaux are art. That painter was an artist and none was "better", whether Roman or Chinese.

If you don't see that it's because you don't know art. You only want it to be a handmaiden to jingoism that reinforces ignorance. Art is debased when it's used to make people feel not transcendence but better about their ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 2611/21/2020

R17, love that piece. Never knew about that kind of art. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 2711/21/2020

R26 Can the doodles on my notebook that I claim are art be compared to Michelangelo's David?

by Anonymousreply 2811/21/2020

Cool! How do you compare to hiroshige?

by Anonymousreply 2911/21/2020

R4, One can only imagine the artistic treasures melted down by the ignorant Spaniards.

by Anonymousreply 3011/21/2020

Ancient Egyptian art, especially in the Middle and New Kingdoms, was wonderfully vibrant, with remarkably sensitive portrayals of everyday life.

by Anonymousreply 3111/21/2020

There's Richard Spencer at R5.

by Anonymousreply 3211/21/2020

I really love Japanese ink and watercolor paintings. I have a lot of Japanese influences in my apartment but it's small so I am careful not to overdo it so it doesn't move into cliche (or in modern parlance, problematic)

by Anonymousreply 3311/21/2020

For DLers who are interested in Chinese art, here's a great gallery by courtesy of the National Palace Museum in Taiwan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3411/23/2020

that's wonderful r34, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 3511/23/2020

R32 It is just the truth. The depth, the scope of European art is unparalleled.

by Anonymousreply 3611/23/2020

R34 that's another bone of contention between Taiwan and Beijing, the foundation of the Taiwan Museum was the result of evacuation of objects in the Imperial Museum in Beijing before WWII and their eventual relocation to Taiwan during the civil war.

by Anonymousreply 3711/23/2020

How on earth Muslims gone from having fabulous bareback orgies centuries ago to throwing gays from tall buildings in 21st century?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3811/23/2020

Of course on DL a thread asking for perceptions on non-Western art will immediately attract an invidious neo-Nazi troll who wants everything to ratify the greatness of the "West." Let's play his game and rule out every tradition in the "West" except for Italian and French. "You like Constable? Pfft, nothing in British art compares to the richness and complexity of the [fill in the blank]."

by Anonymousreply 3911/23/2020

R36 is the definition of white supremacy.

by Anonymousreply 4011/23/2020

[quote]Of course on DL a thread asking for perceptions on non-Western art will immediately attract an invidious neo-Nazi troll

Oh please.

R40 You are absurd. The thread title asks "What are your perceptions of non-Western art? ". If I said "Western art cannot compare" of course, you would be fine with that.

We all have our opinions. Mine? The depth, the scope of European art is unparalleled.

by Anonymousreply 4111/23/2020

It doesn't interest me at all.

by Anonymousreply 4211/23/2020

About that "depth and scope" of European art: would this be the same artistic tradition that has been pretty much exclusively devoted to renderings of scenes from absurd Abrahamic fairy tales for most of its existence?

by Anonymousreply 4311/23/2020

Khuni panja - "The Bloody Claw". A masterpiece of Indian art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4411/23/2020

R43 Wow, you are rather ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 4511/23/2020

Thank you r34!

by Anonymousreply 4611/23/2020

There is so much more to art than paintings, drawings, and illustrations. The visual arts also includes sculpture the decorative arts, and architecture.

I posit that the Terracotta Warriors (2nd century BCE), the classical gardens of Suzhou (11th - 18th centuries), the Temple of Karnak at Luxor, and the Taj Mahal are artistic marvels.

by Anonymousreply 4711/23/2020
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!