Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm thinking of buying a Popeye's Cajun Style Turkey this year

Feeling super lazy, unmotivated, and it looks fast and easy.

Plus sides.

What do you think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2020 1:02 AM

These guys bought one and said it tasted good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2020 8:26 AM

Enjoy, fat whore.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 8:30 AM

The advertising exaggerates how much you get

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 8:36 AM

R3, watch the video at R1.

It's a normal sized turkey.

It actually looks like a lot of meat.

The guy just took it out of the plastic bag, put it in a roasting pan for 2 hours, and it was done.

Nothing easier than that on Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 8:39 AM

Here's another good review.

However, they make a special point to view the sodium content.

Is 630 mg of sodium per serving, a lot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 8:43 AM

It’s $40 by me that’s not bad.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2020 8:44 AM

Do you guys cover your 🦃 in different marinades or seasonings then? I'm trying to figure out what work goes into preparing a 🦃 over there.

Over here, in the UK, we just tend to salt and pepper, maybe a little butter under the skin and then put them in the oven.

Your ovens are big over there too!

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 8:47 AM

If buying factory bred poultry, over-seasoning to disguise the tasteless flesh is always wise.

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 8:52 AM

Another good review, but I'd just skip to the part where the turkey is on the plate, and she's talking about the taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2020 8:53 AM

For a little more, you could have something that hadn't been fed growth hormones or walked a day in its life, that actually needed minimal seasoning....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 8:55 AM

When she took the turkey out of the bag at R9, it almost looked pre-cooked.

No wonder it only take 2.5 hours to cook.

How strange that it's shot up with a salty brine, pre-cooked, and frozen. But I guess that's how it goes with processed and packaged foods.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2020 8:59 AM

R10 Turkey farmers have a problem in the UK ATM, because we don't know yet if people will be allowed to have friends and family over for Christmas, or if restaurants will be open for dining, which is when turkey is eaten over here.

So producers who are breeding larger birds are worried that they won't be able to sell them over here.

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2020 9:29 AM

Absolutely love Popeyes...it’s my guilty pleasure. Those sides are the best. I swear they put cocaine in the green beans. Let us know how it all turns out, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 10:33 AM

[quote]For a little more, you could have something that hadn't been fed growth hormones or walked a day in its life, that actually needed minimal seasoning....

Actually, you couldn't have that r10 since they are all out of stock.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2020 10:37 AM

Honey, I once bought and ate tofurkey for Thanksgiving and I'm not even vegetarian.

I admit: I have a problem.

My Thanksgiving this year may be macaron based.

I just have to find some fucking pumpkin macarons. Just one. Definitely a pecan one. Possibly chocolate though I prefer the fruit and nut ones.

And if they already have turon in the market, I'm going to snarf my weight in one for sure.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2020 10:49 AM

R7 It’s honestly not that difficult. I make a compound butter with sage, thyme and a bit of rosemary and slather under the skin of the turkey breast. I fill the neck and cavity with cut oranges lemons onion and more herbs. Then I roast. I brined it once but it was saltier than I liked.

The trickiest part of the whole meal is timing the oven space between the turkey and the sides. I make many of those ahead.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 11:18 AM

Bill Oakley does fantastic, super quick reviews of fast food. Here's his review of the Popeye Cajun Turkey:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 11:23 AM

Ugh. So THIS why it's getting harder to buy toilet paper again?

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 12:59 PM

I find placing the turkey on a good vegetable trivet adds to the roasting and tenderness of the bird.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2020 1:17 PM

Can you just roll up to the drive thru window and say yo give me a turkey or is this a pre order type situation?

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2020 1:40 PM

This + handle of vodka + box of Kleenex + a copy of Steel Magnolias = Thanksgiving

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2020 1:42 PM

OP you have convinced me to go out and get a Cajun turkey.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2020 2:07 PM

I can't see it on their pre order menu R20

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2020 2:08 PM

[quote] Can you just roll up to the drive thru window and say yo give me a turkey or is this a pre order type situation?

Apparently you can just walk in and ask for a Cajun turkey. You can buy it on the spot and throw it in the freezer when you get home.

Not sure if you can buy it at the drive-thru window, but I don't see why not.

They say you can pre-order, but the lady in the video at R9 said to just buy it early and freeze it, because they usually run out of them by Thanksgiving. Plus, it takes 2-3 days to thaw out in the refrigerator.

I like that it's pre-cooked. You don't have to worry about cooking the turkey through.

People really seem to like it. However, I think that could be because of all the sodium they inject it with, as well as the ton of spices. That's probably what makes it so addictive. Like most fast food.

Both the girl at R9 and the guy at R17 made the exact same observation about the flavor. They said that it just takes like Popeye's chicken, but on a turkey. I'm interpreting that as "this tastes like fast food Thanksgiving."

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2020 2:57 PM

Are people waiting 12hours for it like at the new In N Out Burger in Colorado?

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2020 4:49 PM

Omg, I saw that R25 . What is wrong with people?

by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2020 4:51 PM

Looks damn good

by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2020 4:52 PM

OP's and R1's pictures don't even look remotely like the same thing. Truth in advertising!

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2020 6:25 PM

If I wanted to use my oven to reheat a turkey, I’d just cook a turkey.

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2020 6:27 PM

Sure, why not.

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote] If I wanted to use my oven to reheat a turkey, I’d just cook a turkey.

You don't have to wash it, clean it, or season it.

Just take it out of bag and stick it in the oven.

You might not even have to cut it, because it just falls apart. lol

by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2020 8:15 PM

Has it been steam cooked then?

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2020 9:05 PM

Good question, R32.

Not sure what Popeye's does to it before packaging, but every single person said that their turkey very nearly fell apart.

I wonder what makes it do that? Maybe being pre-cooked, and then cooked again?

by Anonymousreply 33November 22, 2020 6:09 PM

I couldn’t find a turkey locally, all sold out 😔.

I will have to make due with a honey baked ham turkey, I just hope they are as fall off the bone tender as Popeyes.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2020 12:28 PM

What's a ham turkey R34?

Is it ham or turkey?

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2020 1:42 PM

The is FAT WHORE-approved.

Get two.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2020 1:45 PM

[quote] I couldn’t find a turkey locally, all sold out 😔.

You mean the Popeye's turkeys are all sold out, R34?

Wow, it's only Monday!

R36, are you on crack?

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2020 5:29 PM

R35 It’s a full size turkey from the honey baked ham co. You have to pre order it since all they have in store is spiral sliced turkey breast.

Funny story, thanks to OP I decided to try the Popeyes turkey so I checked the app and the website with no luck. I live in a large city so I started calling around and nobody had it, one place answered the phone with the following “ thank you for calling Popeyes on so and so street, we DO NOT have any turkey at this time, but such and such location does, now how can I help you?”

The other location they mentioned had just sold out.

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2020 9:56 PM

Can I just shove a bottle of Crystal Hot Sauce up my asshole? Because that will be the sensation a few hours later.

by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2020 10:03 PM

Hope you like eating a salt lick.

by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2020 10:08 PM

Sheesh. It's not like cooking a fresh turkey is difficult. Pick up a fresh turkey or turkey breast or turkey part from your local grocer and you won't even have to thaw it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2020 10:23 PM

A co-worker swears by Popeyes Turkeys. Every Thanksgiving! This year she said they were harder to find, since not every store does them. She had to drive over an hour to fetch it. Wait too long and you fat whores will be SOL

by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2020 10:50 PM

I'm roasting a French, red label, yellow chicken with sweet potatoes and garlic. Maybe beets. No gravy. Butter or perhaps white sauce and Cumberland sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2020 11:12 PM

R43, you are SO out of place on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2020 11:21 PM

Now I'm getting worried.

Should I run out and get my Popeye's turkey right now?

I really don't want to cook one from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 45November 25, 2020 1:03 AM

[quote] Sheesh. It's not like cooking a fresh turkey is difficult.

That is not a unanimous opinion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 25, 2020 4:32 AM

We have one thawing in the refrigerator right now.

by Anonymousreply 47November 25, 2020 6:01 AM

[quote]and Cumberland sauce.

with turkey?

Heathen.

by Anonymousreply 48November 25, 2020 6:02 AM

Just make a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches and then take a nap.

by Anonymousreply 49November 25, 2020 6:52 AM

Let us know how it turns out, R47!

by Anonymousreply 50November 25, 2020 9:17 AM

R48 I know but it's an easy to find replacement for cranberry. And it goes well with glazed chestnuts.

by Anonymousreply 51November 25, 2020 12:49 PM

What in the hell is a Cumberland sauce?

by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2020 1:53 PM

It's a sauce from Cumberland.

Hope that helps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 25, 2020 2:40 PM

SO helpful, R53!

by Anonymousreply 54November 25, 2020 8:11 PM

You're welcome R54

Will you be making any to go with your bird?

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2020 8:41 PM

Are you required to serve spinach alongside a Popeye's turkey?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2020 9:33 PM

I can't get past the idea of a fast food Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2020 11:38 PM

It's not fast food. It's a normal, precooked, frozen turkey you deforst, put in the oven for 2.5 hours, and then carve.

by Anonymousreply 58November 25, 2020 11:57 PM

defrost

by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2020 11:57 PM

Well?

How was your Popeye's turkey, fat whores?

by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2020 1:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!