Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who won Oscars or were nominated for bad movies

List!

by Anonymousreply 75November 22, 2020 6:53 AM

Sissy Spacek - Coal Miner's Daughter. It wasn't a bad movie, but Sissy didn't deserve the win.

by Anonymousreply 1November 21, 2020 2:50 AM

The Iron Lady was absolutely execrable, and The Blind Side was pretty bad, too. And yet Meryl Streep and Sandra Bullock won for those.

Butterfield 8 is widely considered trash, and yet Liz Taylor won for it (or, rather, for her tracheotomy). And going back to the early days, The Good Earth, which earned DL icon Luise Rainer her second Oscar, is dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 2November 21, 2020 2:52 AM

Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side

by Anonymousreply 3November 21, 2020 2:59 AM

R1 Yes she did! Sissy is a great actress and deserved to win for all the work she put into Coal Miner's Daughter, even her own singing. It was a labor of love - and Oscar became hers.

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 3:07 AM

Jennifer Lawrence - Joy

Mark Walhlberg - The Departed

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 3:07 AM

R2 Sandra Bollock won the Oscar for The Blind Side because it was a Race movie - the win was VERY predictable.

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2020 3:09 AM

I think it’s blatantly obvious who should get top honors for this type of award...........

Music of the Heart, really?

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 3:10 AM

I don't know that the Nobbs creature was nominated for anything else. You know. The fat mannish one.

Was it?

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 3:15 AM

Kate in The Reader

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2020 3:15 AM

Halle Berry for Monster's Ball

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 3:23 AM

Mary Pickford - Coquette

The movie sucks and she sucks in it.....this is the worst best actress performance ever (IMHO)

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2020 3:26 AM

That was an awful movie R10

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2020 3:26 AM

Coal Miner’s Daughter is a ridiculous choice. Sissy was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 3:27 AM

Leo DiCaprio. I know he finalllllly won one but I feel like he tried a little too hard and it showed in his acting. I believe the movie was titled The Revenant or something similar. Also, I think that Lady Gaga should’ve gotten the best acting award for A Star Is Born over whoever ultimately took the trophy home.

But that’s just me.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2020 3:32 AM

The second Academy Awards is the nadir for quality at the Oscars, R11. The Broadway Melody is easily the worst Best Picture from a technical perspective, even if other films were worse in other ways (Crash is mind-numbingly stupid and offensive, but the production itself isn’t inept like the movies from the 1929 slate).

And since we’ve mostly picked on actresses, Charly is an awful movie and Cliff Robertson goes, in Tropic Thunder terms, full retard,

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2020 3:35 AM

cher , cher, cher

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 3:35 AM

Even if you don’t think Cher deserved an Oscar, it’s absurd to call Moonstruck a bad movie (or Silkwood, for which she was also nominated).

During the greatest year in the history of cinema, the Academy thought they should nominate the loathsome Mickey Rooney for Best Actor for Babes in Arms, which would be an awful movie even without the blackface.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 4:08 AM

Olivia Colman. Who should have been supporting. What a twat.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 4:13 AM

Boo-ya!

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2020 4:14 AM

Matthew McBongo for that Dallas Buyers Club thingy. Remember, that Jared Leto character was 100% fabricated.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2020 4:18 AM

MTM should’ve gone supporting she would’ve easily won. Ditto talia shire for rocky.

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2020 4:28 AM

Gale Sondergaard won for Anthony Adverse, one of the dullest films I've ever seen. Blue Sky with La Lange was a fucking mess as well (but a slightly more entertaining one).

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2020 4:30 AM

Russell Crowe, The Gladiator. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2020 4:33 AM

Albert Noobs. Do I need to say more?

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2020 4:35 AM

Monster’s Ball is artful and was confidently made.

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2020 4:35 AM

Gladiator!!!

by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2020 4:36 AM

Thank you, R23! That one totally slipped my mind. All the straight guys I know worship that lame film, which proves once and for all that heterosexualists have absolutely no taste.

And A Beautiful Mind was an even bigger atrocity: they de-gayed Nash, turned his Latina wife into a skinny ass WASP and showed us that the power of love can heal even schizophrenia.

by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2020 4:39 AM

Gladiator!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2020 4:41 AM

R27 A Beautiful Mind? Opie made a movie...…..

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2020 4:49 AM

The Vanity Fair Oscar podcast recently did a recap of the 2000 awards season, R28, and they covered Liz giving the Globe to Gladiator in depth. To a certain type of person, the first actor you associate with that movie isn’t Russell Crowe, it’s Elizabeth Taylor, and many of those people are on DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2020 4:53 AM

G in The Wife.

by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2020 4:54 AM

Dallas Buyers Club was a Lifetime movie. And not even a good one. Serious subject matters don't elevate every movie they get tossed into.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2020 4:54 AM

Pretty much everyone after 1993.

Movies are just falling apart.

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2020 5:02 AM

r33 needs to watch Coquette before insisting that movies in the past were so perfect....

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2020 5:03 AM

That BITCH in Mildred Pierce...to think I turned it down .

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2020 5:06 AM

I know it's not a popular opinion here but I thought LaLa Land was awful. And the bug eyed actress winning an Oscar over Isabelle Hupert is a fucking sin. The movie had absolutely no heft.

by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2020 5:07 AM

Rami Malek Bohemian Rhapsody

I said it and I stand by it.

by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2020 5:09 AM

I've watched every Best Picture winner (from "Wings" to "Parasite"). The all-time worst winner? Cavalcade (1933). Awful, stagy, dull, nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2020 5:11 AM

Bohemian Rhapsody was awful. You are right R37

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2020 5:12 AM

Tom Hanks, Philadelphia

by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2020 5:12 AM

[quote] The all-time worst winner? Cavalcade (1933). Awful, stagy, dull, nothing special.

And the lead actress was lazy-eyed on top of all that!

by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2020 5:14 AM

I thought Cimarron was worse than Cavalcade

by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2020 5:20 AM

I like The Reader. Interesting subject and Kate's character is complicated.

Couldn't sit through 30 minutes of The Blind Side.

I have a tough time taking Meryl seriously with a Thatcher performance. She doesn't really dig into her, it's not like Hopkins in Nixon or Ganz in Downfall. It's a dishonest and lazy Oscar grab. Especially considering her capabilities, its performance engineered to not offend, which means it is just above SNL.

by Anonymousreply 43November 21, 2020 5:25 AM

Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't an awful movie: as the astute have said, it was an enjoyable TV movie excellent performances and a thrilling close. If only it had taken more risks, and the 1-2-3 cliche script, and editing had been better. e.g. It drives me nuts everytime I see the Live-Aid scene where Malek does a terrific Liza Minnelliesque flourish with twisting fingers to make a dramatic musical point, and the editor cuts away, a fraction of a second before completion of the gesture. Aaaagh!!!

by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2020 5:28 AM

R36 You’re right, it was fucking awful! The bitch won an Oscar for what exactly? You were supposed to feel something for this character? Because I didn’t feel shit. Huppert is a savagist of course!!! I didn’t like Elle though, wtf was that? Just weird- one of our best actresses in any language having a rape comedy finally nominated for it of all things and losing to bug eyes for a nothing role. Omg

by Anonymousreply 45November 21, 2020 5:30 AM

The Iron Lady was possibly Streep's worst performance outside of Plenty and The French Lieutenant's Woman. Critics got soggy knickers over the latter, yet the performance was superficial and stagey, and her English accent as mannered as it was in Plenty. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 46November 21, 2020 5:36 AM

Meryl and Julia seem to find themselves into every thread. Both are insufferable bitches. I couldn't tell you which one has the bigger ego. Julia is at least a proud cunt. Meryl tries to veil herself is some sort of artist blanket. But I doubt she could out cunt a professional nasty self involved cunt like Julia.

by Anonymousreply 47November 21, 2020 5:53 AM

Ms. Davis truly deserved her nomination for All About Eve. Margot Channing, a beautiful woman of style, passion, talent, and many complex layers of substance, was so unlike Ms. Davis in real life. It required Ms. Davis to really stretch her limited skill set.

by Anonymousreply 48November 21, 2020 6:03 AM

I was so very pleased to learn of Miss Crawford's Oscar win for Mildred Pierce. I felt it offered hope to every cock-sucking hoofer who ever had a dream.

by Anonymousreply 49November 21, 2020 6:15 AM

R46 and R46 = G

by Anonymousreply 50November 21, 2020 6:20 AM

^R46 and R47

by Anonymousreply 51November 21, 2020 6:21 AM

Sissy Spacek in Coal Miner's Daughter vs. Meryl Streep in The Iron Lady is why Sissy deserved that Oscar and Meryl didn't.

There is never a moment where I don't believe Sissy isn't Loretta Lynn, even when she is portraying her as a teenager. What I love about Sissy's performance is that it is not showy but lived-in. It's so natural.

Whereas, with Meryl in TIL, you can see all the research and the video-watching Meryl did to try to capture Thatcher. It's Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher. For me, she never fully inhabits Thatcher as Sissy did with Loretta.

by Anonymousreply 52November 21, 2020 6:36 AM

But where is Sissy Spacek now? Huh? Huh!

by Anonymousreply 53November 21, 2020 6:56 AM

[quote] The all-time worst winner? Cavalcade (1933). Awful, stagy, dull, nothing special.

It was a great financial success on stage but the episodic British plot and British ensemble cast (and lack of star names) don't translate well on an American screen.

I did like how actress Ursula Jeans (who I feel should be better known) attempted to sing the angst-filled torch song 'Twentieth Century Blues'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 21, 2020 7:06 AM

Sissy Spacek WAS Loretta Lynn. The movie is mediocre but she was supremely good. It was a lived in performance. I loved Mary Tyler Moore but the character was quite unlikeable and she didn't give Beth any warm qualities which worked to a certain extent but I thought that character needed one more layer. When her son is almost begging for her affection she was so broken she had nothing to offer which is powerful. But I think there could have been a deeper layer into the character understanding how how she was. I didn't get that part of her performance. It was straight up cold. Which worked but seemed unlayered.

by Anonymousreply 55November 21, 2020 7:09 AM

Sissy Spacek WAS Loretta Lynn. The movie is mediocre but she was supremely good. It was a lived in performance. I loved Mary Tyler Moore but the character was quite unlikeable and she didn't give Beth any warm qualities which worked to a certain extent but I thought that character needed one more layer. When her son is almost begging for her affection she was so broken she had nothing to offer which is powerful. But I think there could have been a deeper layer into the character understanding how how she was. I didn't get that part of her performance. It was straight up cold. Which worked but seemed unlayered.

by Anonymousreply 56November 21, 2020 7:09 AM

Brenda Vaccaro in "(Jacqueline Susann's) Once Is Not Enough"

by Anonymousreply 57November 21, 2020 7:15 AM

Sissy WAS Carrie getting sum rags tossed at her saggy rotted weird hillbilly ass in the shower. She sucked as Loretta Lynn.

by Anonymousreply 58November 21, 2020 8:11 AM

r57 probably picked the best example!

by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2020 5:34 PM

Can't believe people are overlooking the reigning Best Actress: Renee Zellweger for Judy.

by Anonymousreply 60November 21, 2020 5:38 PM

R60 No, Renee's win was predictable and very worthy.

by Anonymousreply 61November 21, 2020 9:16 PM

[quote] And the lead actress was lazy-eyed on top of all that!

R41 The lovely Diana Wynyard's eyes were no more crossed than Norma Shearer's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 21, 2020 11:40 PM

Roberto Begnini (sp?) for Life Is Beautiful. Embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 63November 21, 2020 11:44 PM

[italic]The Blind Side[/italic] was embarrassing. When Sandra Bullock was accepting her award, the look on her face showed she knew it was bullshit. She was being rewarded for many years of good box office $$$.

by Anonymousreply 64November 22, 2020 12:30 AM

Bullock essentially admitted it. Her speech began with the question "Did I really earn this, or did I just wear you down?"

She knew the award was for being a good sport, campaigning like hell and having a great year where she made Hollywood a ton of money.

by Anonymousreply 65November 22, 2020 12:37 AM

R65, she was being self-deprecating. That's who she is. The Blind Side wasn't a masterpiece but it wasn't the worst film to win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 66November 22, 2020 12:50 AM

R64 It was the same with Ingrid. She KNEW she didn't deserve the statuette for this role. Look ho embarrassed she is!

She knew she put 5 minutes thought into preparing for this tiny cameo of a role whereas she spent 6 weeks preparing for the psychological depths of her role in the 1963 Hedda Gabler' (which is thankfully available on YouTube for us to appreciate at our leisure).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 22, 2020 1:21 AM

Lee Marvin, Cat Ballou (1965)

by Anonymousreply 68November 22, 2020 1:22 AM

Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump (hated that movie)

Leonardo DiCaprio for The Revenant (can't stand Iñárritu films)

by Anonymousreply 69November 22, 2020 1:27 AM

R69, FU!!!

by Anonymousreply 70November 22, 2020 1:33 AM

R7 it reminds me of the other time Meryl & Madonna were both up for the same part, & it boggles the mind. She may have been a little old forthe part, but Meryl would've been a far better Evita.

by Anonymousreply 71November 22, 2020 1:51 AM

R7 it reminds me of the other time Meryl & Madonna were both up for the same part, & it boggles the mind. She may have been a little old forthe part, but Meryl would've been a far better Evita.

by Anonymousreply 72November 22, 2020 1:51 AM

Meryl was up for Evita like 8 years before Madonna did it.

I've read that this is one of Streep's great performances that never happened. She borrowed Sting's private recording studio and sang the whole score. Webber and Rice were said to be ecstatic with the results. Something happened with Oliver Stone and Meryl and she dropped out of it for some reason that remains unknown.

by Anonymousreply 73November 22, 2020 2:02 AM

I’m not sure Evita is the great Streep performance that never happened, because she’s done more than enough musicals by now and, to put it politely, none of them will figure prominently in any retrospective of Meryl’s career.

by Anonymousreply 74November 22, 2020 6:35 AM

Heath Ledger

by Anonymousreply 75November 22, 2020 6:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!