Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When are you putting up your Christmas tree?

Just wondering?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2020 7:56 PM

I usually wait until December, but with all the crap & sadness that's gone on this year, I'm thinking of putting it up this weekend.

It's just a small artificial tree, so no biggie.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 11:20 PM

No more trees. Kitty Lou would have it down in two minutes.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 11:22 PM

It will probably be some time next weekend, after Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 11:23 PM

It's been up for 2 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 11:45 PM

I don't do a tree, but since it was warm I decorated outside today, it looks awesome. I don't do Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 11:53 PM

Never again. I only ever did it for family members who enjoyed it and they're all gone now. Same with the gifts, cards, stockings, baking cookies, preparing the dinner -- all a big chore that I dreaded every year and I'm so relieved to be done with it forever. Thanksgiving too!

Now if only I could figure out how to avoid that godawful music everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 11:58 PM

I put it up in mid-March when the COVID stay at home orders started. It's been up since then.

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 12:00 AM

I bought a small (3 feet tall) artificial tree with lights three years ago. I put it up in my living room and it has been there ever since, without lights out of season. It's complementary to the decor. I plugged the lights in two weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 12:00 AM

R2, my cat was a kitten last year and I couldn’t put up an artificial tree because she was trying to gnaw on the fake branches and I was afraid she’d hurt herself. This year I guess I’m putting up the fake blue tree, hopefully she’ll understand that’s not real tree branches.

Last year I went to Costco and got a green wreath and hung it on a short wrought iron plant stand so it was near the ground. She liked smelling it and it was real branches. You could try real wreaths and greenery, she can’t do much to that. Instead of using breakables, try using ribbons or plastic bead garland. Or candy canes. If she bites one of those it won’t hurt her and she’ll hate the taste. One should do it.

by Anonymousreply 9November 21, 2020 12:01 AM

Probably none this year. Spending what I would on presents and crap on an iwatch and iPad.

by Anonymousreply 10November 21, 2020 12:02 AM

I am thinking about putting it up tomorrow along with my Christmas lights. Usually I do it the day after Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 11November 21, 2020 12:03 AM

Out of respect for Thanksgiving, I’ll wait until next weekend.

by Anonymousreply 12November 21, 2020 12:08 AM

Maybe never if my asshole wet blanket of a partner has anything to say about it. Well, fuck him, I'll do it myself.

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 12:12 AM

Our (artificial) tree has been up for many years. We tell people that we like to keep the spirit of Xmas all year 'round, but actually we're just too lazy to take it down and set it up every year.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2020 12:19 AM

It's been up for two weeks...even though I don't believe in God and live alone.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2020 12:21 AM

Put it up the Saturday Biden won. Time to celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 12:26 AM

We put one up today! The lights are cheery this dark time of year.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 12:27 AM

Mine are already up. I had time and I’m having people over for Thanksgiving dinner. I have one in the entry, one in the living room, and one in the formal dining.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 12:46 AM

I normally put my artificial tree up about 7-10 days before Christmas and put in down soon just after New Years Day. I don't get those who have it up for almost two months.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2020 1:00 AM

I am putting up my Christmas tree the first week of December.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2020 1:07 AM

r16 are you me? I put mine up the same day, for the same reason

by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2020 1:10 AM

r18 is a jackass. Enjoy Covid, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2020 1:12 AM

I am not dragging out tree decorations. It is just me and the partner. A couple of relatives may visit. Just adults. I will have a few poinsettias, the lighted ceramic Christmas tree, and a couple of seasonal, dried table arrangements, stuffed stockings for the fireplace mantle, and candles to light.

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2020 1:15 AM

As I type.

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2020 1:16 AM

I dragged mine up and am busy shooing the cats away right now!

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2020 1:17 AM

Day after Thanksgiving

by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2020 1:18 AM

R22 - Our community has a very low Covid rate, and we will be opening windows for circulation, while burning the fireplaces for heat.

by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2020 1:24 AM

i've been getting a live tree the past 5 years or so. i like to wait a little longer so the tree doesn't dry out so fast.

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2020 1:29 AM

You people are insane. I was too lazy to put it up in the last two years but when I do decide to drag it out of the basement I never do it more than 5 or so days before Xmas. I'd grow tired of looking at it by the time Xmas came if I had it up since mid-November.

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2020 1:30 AM

That's why I often take mine down between Boxing Day and New Year's Day, R29.

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2020 1:35 AM

Goes up the day after Thanksgiving, gets taken down on Epiphany.

by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2020 1:42 AM

I don't decorate, but I do listen to Christmas music.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2020 1:42 AM

Everyone put up a tree! Time for Christmas cheer more than ever - and a good time too!

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2020 1:43 AM

November 2021

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2020 1:46 AM

I don’t celebrate and live in a small apartment

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2020 1:48 AM

One of the only things about COVID that I'm grateful for is the lack of holidays. The holidays still happen of course but they don't dominate society in the way that they did pre-COVID. Hopefully one of the lasting effects of this period in history is the death of the hysteria around Halloween, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.

by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2020 1:49 AM

Years ago you used to be able to send away a photo & they’d make it into a poster for you. I’d like to send away a photo of my Christmas tree, have it turned into a poster and just put in on my wall. I have a good pic from 2013 or 2014.

by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2020 1:57 AM

I have a short video of my Christmas tree. Can I get a small projector, put it on a loop and show it on my wall?

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2020 2:01 AM

I’d like to get a new camera. I have two nice cameras that don’t work. One refuses to accept a card & just pushes it out no matter what. The other accepts a card but gives an error message. Bought all kinds of SD cards, none work.

Anyone know a good camera that would be good at taking a video of Christmas lights in my town? My iPhone camera SUCKS. The whole village really looks nice at Christmas and I’d like to take a full video while my husband drives the car.

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2020 2:06 AM

I usually wait until the day after thanksgiving but after this shitty year I decided to put my tree up early. It’s been out for 3 weeks.

I will finish the outdoor decor this weekend.

I love the lights and I have a beautiful tree.

by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2020 2:16 AM

The weekend following Thanksgiving. I like to get it up earlier. It's so much work, we want to enjoy it awhile.

by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2020 2:35 AM

I've put three of my four trees up so far. The last one is placed in our living room at the front of the house, visible from the street, and that'll wait till the day after Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2020 2:39 AM

^ Put a sparkly M, A, R, and Y on top of them.

by Anonymousreply 43November 21, 2020 2:41 AM

^I'll be sure to, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2020 2:44 AM

I just bought my tree today and plan on putting it up within the next few days.

by Anonymousreply 45November 21, 2020 2:46 AM

Or R44, put C, U, N, T if the mood strikes, as I would expect. Sparkly and odorous of course.

by Anonymousreply 46November 21, 2020 3:02 AM

This thread has inspired me to put my tree today! We need some Xmas cheer and some pretty lights to look at.

Fuck this year has been terrible.

by Anonymousreply 47November 21, 2020 3:18 AM

Never. There is no such thing as "Christmas cheer." One of the unintended benefits of covid will be decreased exposure to the horrible music. Now if only the Salvation Army bellringers will be sheltering in some place that's not my local supermarket. I hate the entire frauiday month of December.

by Anonymousreply 48November 21, 2020 6:55 AM

I normally put up a 9-12 foot natural tree with about 4,000 lights on it. But not this year; a little tabletop tree will suffice. I'll probably go on a trip anyway.

by Anonymousreply 49November 21, 2020 7:08 AM

I have a small tree we put on top of our entertainment center, I'll probably take down the autumn arrangement I have there now and replace it with the Christmas tree next week.

No outdoor decorations this year, just not in the mood for it.

by Anonymousreply 50November 21, 2020 7:15 AM

r33 = Mame Dennis

by Anonymousreply 51November 21, 2020 8:39 AM

R48, there's a national coin shortage in the USA, so we don't have to feel guilty about stiffing the Salvation Army red kettles this year.

by Anonymousreply 52November 21, 2020 12:53 PM

r52, I have never felt guilty about not putting anything in the hateist Salvation Army kettles.

r48

by Anonymousreply 53November 21, 2020 12:57 PM

[quote] Put it up the Saturday Biden won. Time to celebrate.

R16, I'm too superstitious for that.

by Anonymousreply 54November 21, 2020 1:04 PM

R37, there are still places that do that. Zazzle (admittedly, the ultimate frau site) will print any image on a poster; you just have to upload the image.

by Anonymousreply 55November 21, 2020 1:31 PM

Up a week already

by Anonymousreply 56November 21, 2020 1:40 PM

R2 “Kitty Lou” - love that.

I usually put up mone around Dec 12th.

by Anonymousreply 57November 21, 2020 1:46 PM

When I can find a new box of tinsel.

I actually always wanted one of these trees. They look so convenient.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 21, 2020 1:47 PM

Im not....I have a new cat who is full of mischief and I know he would destroy it

by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2020 1:51 PM

Mine is ceramic and about 16 inches tall. I will take it out of the box on the day after Thanksgiving, plug it into a socket in the living room, and I'm done with my decorating, except for the 10 inch ceramic tree that will get plugged into a socket in the dining room.

Putting all away is more complex as I have to wrap bubble wrap around them before they go back into the box.

by Anonymousreply 60November 21, 2020 1:59 PM

R60, I'd love to see pictures of your ceramic trees. I've never heard of such a thing and just Googled images, which I love. How old are yours?

by Anonymousreply 61November 22, 2020 12:02 AM

The larger tree for the living room is a vintage item. The tree is white and all the lights are green. It's lovely. The vintage design is very elegant and it always looks nice in the room. The small one is new. It's a green tree with multicolored lights. I found it in a thrift shop for five bucks. Because it is relatively small, it fits easily on the sideboard in the dining room. It's not particularly elegant, but doesn't need to be.

Google has tons of pictures of these trees. Mine are still boxed up, so... no photos to share.

by Anonymousreply 62November 22, 2020 12:12 AM

This is how it's done, R59:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 22, 2020 9:56 PM

I have a ceramic tree my mom painted in the 1970s, that’s the first one going up this year.

by Anonymousreply 64November 22, 2020 11:17 PM

This weekend, OP. I'm off from work for six days, starting Wednesday, and have plenty of time to catch up on some deep cleaning before I drag all that out. Growing up, we didn't put it up until Christmas Eve. But I like to leave mine up for the entire month of December, and take it down the day after Epiphany.

by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2020 12:46 AM

When I was a kid, we would keep ours up until the end of February or until it caught fire, whichever came first.

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2020 7:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!