Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is it legal to sell an empty box on EBay?

I’ve been casually looking at PS5s for sale. I won’t buy one above retail but I’m fascinated by folks who will pay through the nose for something they can get after Christmas for so much less - and with the bugs worked out.

But then I saw this ad. I’ve heard of this happening before and Is this legal? The seller is not misrepresenting what he’s selling at all. It’s right there spelled out. But it’s already up past $700. For a box!

Is this just another case of there’s a sucker born every minute? And is the auction winner obligated to pay once they realize or get their money back when the empty box arrives?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2020 4:53 PM

As long as the description is clear then it's a case of a fool and his money....

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 10:30 PM

Here is the condition :"Open box: An item in excellent, new condition with no wear. The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or may be in the original packaging but not sealed. The item includes original accessories. The item may be a factory second. See the seller's listing for full details and description." If it is the box only I would say it is false advertising.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 10:33 PM

It's safer to sell your box on eBay than on a street corner.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 10:42 PM

Couldn't box stand for the console?

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 10:50 PM

nfm, just saw the "no console"

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 10:51 PM

I'm not on Ebay, but someone needs to report that listing.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 10:54 PM

That is ridiculous to pay $710 for an empty box, there are other empty Playstation boxes for sale there for $660 and $595.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2020 10:56 PM

[quote] The seller is not misrepresenting what he’s selling at all. It’s right there spelled out.

There’s your answer, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 11:03 PM

[quote]As long as the description is clear then it's a case of a fool and his money....

Not in my courtroom!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 11:07 PM

Clean your fucking nails before taking photos. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 11:22 PM

People sell Hermès and Coach shopping bags on Mercari and Poshmark for $10-$20. Just the paper shopping bags.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 11:40 PM

Judy at r9, that case was a little different than what OP is talking about.

In that case, all indications in the listing were that it was a phone. Her defense was the seller should have looked at the weight of the phone, which she accurately listed as a couple of ounces. She claimed anyone who has ever bought a phone should know they weigh more than a couple of ounces.

Other than that, in her ad copy there was no way to tell it was really only a picture of a phone.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 11:51 PM

and over $50 for shipping. that's crazy

by Anonymousreply 13November 21, 2020 12:01 AM

It is legal to sell an empty box, but if the buyer complains to paypal,they will almost certainly win. Paypal has really made it impossible to be a seller anymore.

by Anonymousreply 14November 21, 2020 12:08 AM

Maybe there are some nuts out there who like to collect empty containers of expensive products?!

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2020 12:40 AM

R12---You missed Judge Judy's point. The seller was saying that somewhere in her ad she stated that she was selling a PICTURE of the phone. However that was worded, people bypassed that and believed they were bidding on an actual phone. In the ebay ad, seller showed the specs of the phone, which indicated the phone weighs 4.9 oz (or whatever). If the seller was only offering a pic of the phone, the 4.9 oz should not have been in the ad because that weight indicates a real phone, not a pic of one. If she had omitted that info and still had her line about you get what you see in the picture, then I don't know if JJ would have had a reason to rule in favor of the ripped off buyer.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 4:42 AM

For some reason, I was compelled to look up the Judge Judy phone scammer and see what had become of her. Found a Reddit thread stating she eventually went to jail, divorced the husband, became a heroin addict, and then committed suicide a few years ago. Sad, but not exactly surprising.

Her kid (supposedly, anyway) left some comments on the thread that are truly sad, if he's really her kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 5:27 AM

How depressing to know that people can be so shady as to try to take advantage of the unwary and perhaps unintelligent. Of course, I know there are grifters everywhere, but this is so blatant. I would think Ebay would ban them. It's bad for their brand.

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 5:38 AM

It would be a legit listing, but only for the profoundly stupid. Here's the description its says box only and shows an empty box.

Playstation 5 Disc Version - Box Only. Condition is been opened. Small tear on outer box. Please see pictures as part of description. Item pictured is the item you'll receive :-) Shipped with USPS First Class. box and packaging, no consule.

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2020 6:19 AM

Someone has already retracted their bid so they must have read the description. This is gonna get good I hope, I've got on watch to see how this ends. They have another listing of an empty box and it's bidding up too.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2020 6:26 AM

Look at the seller's filthy cigarette/crack stained hand and nasty foot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2020 6:27 AM

Like r2 already pointed out, they chose "Open Box" for the pre-filled description, which says that accessories will be included. They ship an empty box out with no accessories in it, they'll lose their case when the buyer finds out what has happened.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2020 6:32 AM

They're charging $44 for shipping, too. So stupid.

by Anonymousreply 23November 21, 2020 6:34 AM

This person is also selling a new Xbox empty box as well. The :) at the end of the description on both items is especially shady.

I’ve also noticed a bunch of other new listings for the box only from other sellers. This won’t end well.

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2020 9:23 AM

This happens all the time and is some sort of scam, but not the kind you are thinking. I often see thing on eBay at outrageous prices. There is a small, cardboard doll suitcase from the 1990s on eBay for $4,500.00

Invariably, the sellers have few feedback ratings and those are primarily as a buyer. Often the seller has had little activity for several months, or even years prior to the outrageous price post implying that it is a hacked account. Often I see the same scam auction repeated under different accounts. It could be a way of advertising an item on eBay without selling it through eBay, though; money laundering is also often suggested as the scam. I'd be curious if one contacted the seller, if I he tried to take discussion private and off eBay.

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2020 10:08 AM

It does look like shill bidding but the description is legit so some stupid person just may get burned. Shill bidding is rife I almost always do BIN for that reason. If its something of value I always look at the number of ratings first to see if they have been opening new accounts as the old one gets filled with bad reviews, then I look at the actual ratings.

by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2020 2:42 PM

That's messed up. The seller does clearly state that it's just the box. But he knew what he was doing when he started bidding at over $500. People may buy empty boxes but not for that price. He's counting on idiots who don't pay attention to see a "PS5" listing and jump on it. It's a dangerous game though because ebay tends to side with buyers in disputes.

by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2020 2:57 PM

Paypal will def. .side with the buyer.

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2020 4:05 PM

Yeah paypal and ebay always side with the buyer. Im thinking that as we get closer to the holiday they may ban sales related to this item. Just like they banned sales of ppe earlier this year. Ebay also has extremely intelligent fraud detection. If they catch you you will never sell on there again.

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2020 4:52 PM

There was a case like this on Judge Judy and she ripped the seller a new one.

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2020 5:09 PM

Really, r30?

Gee we didn’t know that.

by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2020 5:12 PM

Welcome to DL, R31, where my voice SIMPLY MUST BE HEARD!

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2020 5:29 PM

It's not always a scam on the part of the seller. I sold the box and clamshell case that my Rolex came in -for $650. I needed money, and was happier to sell the box than the watch itself (my college graduation present from my parents). I have no doubt that someone bought it so they could use it to resell their own Rolex at a higher price (in original box with manual, etc.). The eBay ad clearly stated that the purchaser was buying the box, not the watch, and the buyer seemed to make a living from buying empty boxes for high-end products -ostensibly to use for selling used or knock-off versions of said items.

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2020 5:45 PM

Well this is a tough one, but if the sellers are not lying in their listings, the buyers would have a hard time arguing with paypal or their bank if they claim "SNAD" (significantly not as described), because the sellers were selling the box only and they described it accurately in the eBay listing. Paypal or the bank of course will open a case because it sounds ridiculous, but once they start the investigation, the buyer would lose the claim, they cannot win this under SNAD. To win the claim, buyers need to use other excuses like they read it wrong and they want to return it for refund etc or they didn't receive it, but those people are dumb enough not read the eBay listing before bidding for hundreds of dollars, you bet they would argue SNAD with paypal or bank and think they would have a case, also they would completely kill their chance of claim of not received "I bought a PS5 but received a box only", so they received exactly what they bought for.

PS. selling a product box is allowed and actually a common practice on ebay, because they are other people who need the original retail box to make a refurbished product complete, or buyers lost their original case.. and this is specially true in the the video game category, you can find tons of listings of a video came case or insert up for sale, and they are not cheap, some can go for $20 for a case or an insert, the math is simple, if you are a used or refurbished game seller, a used game but disc only will sell for $5 dollars, but with the case and inserts it worth $40!

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2020 5:58 PM

I don't think any excuse will fly with this one, it is clearly stated. I wouldn't feel bad either since you should always read the description completely. It's no different from buying in an HOA then complaining about it.

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2020 6:26 PM

Those of you commenting how stupid people who don't read, are also NOT READING this thread whewre it's been pointed out several times that the "CONDITION" field says "The item includes original accessories." so the buyer will most certainly win the case with Ebay.

by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2020 8:17 PM

I'm just waiting for someone to say the seller is trafficking kids. Anyways-It could also be a "hidden" item listing- (I doubt it in this case but figured I'd throw it out there). They're all over eBay, Aliexpress, Walmart, Amazon, etc. Amazon recently cracked down on 2 instagram influencers for promoting "secret" counterfeit items.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 21, 2020 8:53 PM

Why not just buy it at retail? Isn'tb it only like $500?

by Anonymousreply 38November 21, 2020 8:55 PM

[quote] Those of you commenting how stupid people who don't read, are also NOT READING this thread

We’re also commenting on misused commas.

by Anonymousreply 39November 21, 2020 9:54 PM

I remember Sherri Papini used to sell empty boxes and bags from Tiffanys. The husband was selling his used shorts too. I wonder what ever happened to them after Sherri was kidnapped by the Latinas.

by Anonymousreply 40November 21, 2020 10:01 PM

And accessories to a box will be included, you should know what accessories to a box are, right?

by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2020 11:18 PM

First box ended at 810.00 next one soon at 840.00 plus 44.00 shipping. I wish I could be there when they open their box to find it empty.

by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2020 4:19 PM

Two people retracted their bid. Do you think they figured it out that it was just a box?

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2020 4:32 PM

It sold for $1275.000

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2020 4:44 PM

R38 Because it's sold out of primary markets and only available on the secondary market, where sellers are getting significantly more than retail for it. People get nuts at Christmastime.

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2020 4:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!