Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jan Morris is DEAD to ME!

Quite an interesting life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39Last Friday at 10:53 AM

This person was a thankfully plain, sensible and ignorable person. Quite unlike the hysterical loonies with which we have to contend nowdays.

Their memoir was all rather ho-hum. Their travel journalism was all rather ho-hum and redundant —it could have been done better as a TV show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111/20/2020

Tsunami of shitposts referring to “him” in 5, 4, 3...

by Anonymousreply 211/20/2020

How gallant of you, R2!

The world needs more chivalrous men like you.

by Anonymousreply 311/20/2020

She looks like Barbara Bush and the Chicken Lady from Kids in the Hall had a baby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411/20/2020

Trans is beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 511/20/2020

I loved her as Madge in the Palmolive commercials.

by Anonymousreply 611/20/2020

Jan Morris wrote my favorite and in my opinion the best general survey of the British Empire, the Pax Britannia series. They are wonderful, engaging and very complete books. She wrote them as James Morris.

She transitioned before it was a thing, as the kids would say these days. He was one of the then-tiny fraction of people who identified so strongly with female living that he became a she (obviously not biologically, but socially). She never soap-boxed about it, she didn’t use it as an attention getting ploy.

She never said shit like “not all women have ovaries so women’s groups should not talk about reproductive health issues.”

She is (was) what trans was before the woke movement provided the rocket fuel to transform it into something truly awful, like the little mogwai before getting wet and being fed after midnight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 711/20/2020

[quote] She never soap-boxed about it. . .

Well, Morris 'soap-boxed' about it when they published a 176 page book about it all in 1974.

I don't know how many copies were sold but it currently retails for $16.90 each.

by Anonymousreply 811/20/2020

Morris was second to do it --after Christine Jorgensen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 911/20/2020

Looks dead-off like a man

by Anonymousreply 1011/20/2020

R8, you might want to put down the moon cup and take to google to acquaint yourself with the meaning of soap boxing.

In Conundrum, which you invoke without having read it, Morris explains the reasons she transitioned. The way she explains it is exactly the opposite of sospboxing — yelling your one truth at the public.

Instead she said:

[quote] I never did think that my own conundrum was a matter either of science or of social convention. I thought it was a matter of the spirit, a kind of divine allegory, and that explanations of it were not very important anyway. What was important was the liberty of us all to live as we wished to live, to love however we wanted to love, and to know ourselves, however peculiar, disconcerting or unclassifiable, at one with the gods and angels.

by Anonymousreply 1111/20/2020

R11, Thank you for your excellent post. Your considered reproof of R8's post is a fine example of how to correct another's grievous error without resorting to sophomoric name-calling, an all-too-frequent occurrence on DL. One hopes that the exquisite quote you chose from [italic]Conundrum[/italic] will help introduce Jan Morris to those who have never had the pleasure of reading the work of this acclaimed journalist, travel writer, and historian, as well as a towering pioneer in gender identity.

by Anonymousreply 1211/20/2020

I once edited a piece she wrote for me -- she was delightful to work with: completely professional, smart, and eager to be edited well.

by Anonymousreply 1311/20/2020

[quote] …she was delightful to work with…

Was she womanly?

by Anonymousreply 1411/20/2020

I don’t imagine there’s too much wailing or gnashing of teeth in Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 1511/20/2020

or Indianapolis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1611/20/2020

Surely the genre of Travel Books must be dead by now that we have the Internet.

Why would people want to pay good money to read a stranger's sketchy and inaccurate first impressions of a strange place?

by Anonymousreply 1711/20/2020

[Quote] Morris was second to do it --after Christine Jorgensen.

Millions of people all over the world did this before either of them. But I know what you mean. Add Dr Renee Richards too.

In any case, I'm a big admirer of her Pax Brittanica and her sensible approach to her sex change.

by Anonymousreply 1811/20/2020

R12's reply is easily one of the most insufferable things I've read on this hellhole of a website.

by Anonymousreply 1911/20/2020

r17 sounds limited.

by Anonymousreply 2011/20/2020

[quote]Conundrum will help introduce Jan Morris to those who have never had the pleasure of reading the worand her sensible approach to her sex change

Sex change? Uh, no. Morris was, is and will forever remain a male. "He" became a "she" by replicating the worst socially-dictated stereotypes of female. That's not a "sex change", that's insulting, demeaning parody. And pandering to Morris by using female pronouns is truly adding injury to insult.

by Anonymousreply 2111/20/2020

I saw her at the Edinburgh Book Festival some years ago. I’ve read many of her books, and am a big fan. She was utterly charming, and took questions from the audience with good humour and grace. She had the audience eating out of her hand.

by Anonymousreply 2211/21/2020

"He" became a "she" by replicating the worst socially-dictated stereotypes of female, R21?

I was unaware that somewhat resembling Michael Palin in a Python spoof was among the worst socially-dictated stereotypes of female.

by Anonymousreply 2311/21/2020

Jan wore sensible shoes, twin-set and pearls, below-knee-length skirts, cardigans and tweed jackets when appropriate.

She eschewed ostentatious, expensive jewellery.

by Anonymousreply 2411/21/2020

Are the trans activists expressing their condolences at the passing of one of the most respected trans women or wasn't Jan woke enough for them?

by Anonymousreply 2511/21/2020

r11, hmm, living how they wished with no regard whatsoever for the women they endanger and mock. He was an autogynephilic fetishist who forced the rest of the world to non-consensually engage in his kink. That's sexual assault. These guys are the worst male supremacist misogynists in the world and they're entirely homophobic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2611/21/2020

Such a good question r25

by Anonymousreply 2711/21/2020

She was a handsome woman ✌🏻 RIP

by Anonymousreply 2811/21/2020

Fuck off, Matthew @ r26.

by Anonymousreply 2911/21/2020

Ah r29, is the blinkered screaming fanatic at r26 our crazed Anscher troll? It reads more to me like a perma-enraged michfest refugee.

by Anonymousreply 3011/21/2020

Before

-Ja[mes] Morris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3111/21/2020

R28 Well, they shouldn't wear mini-skirts. Viz, the fourth picture in the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3211/21/2020

Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere is a haunting book I still think about.

by Anonymousreply 3311/21/2020

R26 is a deranged lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 3411/21/2020

[quote] 'Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere' is a haunting book

Others have described it as 'non-factual', 'empire-loving', 'reactionary' and 'outrageously un-PC", as it discusses 'the crudity of the black, brown or yellow masses'.

by Anonymousreply 3511/21/2020

I imagine the poignant inscription on the dual headstone of Morris and wife Elizabeth after over 70 years together should trump almost any DL nastiness: 'Here are two friends, at the end of one life.'

by Anonymousreply 3611/21/2020

[quote] . . . poignant inscription . . . should trump almost any DL nastiness . . .

I enjoy DL for the most part, and I would miss it if it were not here, but it seems undeniable to me that there are more than a few of its posters whose sensitivities have apparently been so dulled by life that they are immune to poignance.

As for me, R36, I agree that there is no nastiness that can't be trumped by the tenderness inherent in the inscription that you quoted, but I will be surprised if attempts are not made.

by Anonymousreply 3711/21/2020

Have you read it R35?

by Anonymousreply 3811/22/2020

[quote] …somewhat resembling Michael Palin in a Python spoof…

Yes, you're right, R23

~ Bill Bryson is another person made rich (net worth $10 million) by this outdated redundant genre called travel books.

They're littered with inaccuracies and subjective first impressions which require an expensive replacement edition to correct.

by Anonymousreply 39Last Friday at 10:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!