Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Medical field homophobia

I've heard that there are a lot of secret homophobes in this field. Obviously not everyone working there is, but it seems to attract those who lean more conservative. Any experiences?

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 7:06 PM

Because they see what you put up your ass when they must extract, you fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 6:30 PM

100% homophobic… Especially in places with a lot of Mormons like Las Vegas and Salt Lake City.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 6:33 PM

R2 Hey, do you live in Utah or Nevada or just visited there?

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 6:48 PM

I've always had the impression that they couldn't care less.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 6:51 PM

R1, a friend used to work in insurance, and told me about a guy who filed a claim after having to go to the hospital because he stuck a light bulb up his ass. :)

But OP, come on. There are homophobes all around us, and there always will be.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 6:51 PM

Reason why If I ever have to get another doctor I will not be telling him that I'm gay ever again.

Just like work. Not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 7:54 PM

Yes, and I live in a very liberal area. I had a brief seizure disorder and when the doctor realized I was gay, he muttered something about AIDS. The male doctors tend to be homophobic. We prefer women doctors. They are less so.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2020 8:00 PM

If the homophobic doctors and nurses catch rona will anyone miss them?

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 8:37 PM

For the most part, I've found them pretty open. I did have one doctor who was just ridiculously rude and homophobic to me. I reported him to the state medical board and he was censured. Fucking dick. Otherwise, I've had great luck. My GP I had growing up talked to my mother when she was struggling after I came out. He told her he'd known gay people his whole life and as a doctor, he believed it was biologically determined and she didn't have to think she caused it. He said it had no bearing on my character and that I could have a happy, healthy life. It helped her turn a corner on accepting me as gay.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 8:54 PM

I've known a shit ton of gay doctors and nurses. I don't think it's a homophobic field overall, although there are always exceptions

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 8:57 PM

It really depends on the branch of medicine. The ones where doctors really get to know patients as people tend to be very liberal and accepting (internists, psychiatrists, pediatricians).. The ones who just treat cases without really ever knowing who they are tend to be very conservative (orthopedics, surgery, radiology)

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 9:23 PM

I have experienced it on one occasion. It was very blatant and overt, and displayed ignorance, and unprofessionalism. I should have followed suit as R9 did, but instead I took the time to lecture him on his poor bedside manner, and how to properly ask patients first IF they are sexually active, ( no matter how uncomfortable he was with the subject of sex) as well as to enquire as to what sexual acts they engage in before shrieking a non sequitur like "...and don't stick things up there"

I was tempted to educate him on how anal sex could be safe and healthy, but quit whilst ahead. As a top, I could only imagine how much more humiliating this could have been for a bottom in my position. It didn't matter much difference, as he simply assumed my arse was getting action. He never asked if I dated men or women either, so he had simply assumed I was gay.

I endured this lovely experience in an American Catholic hospital, with a Chinese American physician. I had had a colonoscopy, polyps removed, as well as a diagnosis of hemmerhoids. I laughed at this cunt after his inappropriate remark, and told him the only thing that had ever been "up there" was the applicator from the tube of hemmerhoid cream.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 9:26 PM

I posted a thread about a study Ohio State did about sexual abuse on college campuses. According to the study, a lot of male/male abuse happened in the medical field or in sports

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 10:51 PM

Chinese American physicians are generally very homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 11:59 PM

R14 Interesting, as I had attributed the shabby treatment to it being a Catholic hospital.

by Anonymousreply 15November 21, 2020 6:29 PM

The ones who are telling every person who isn't a parody of masculinity or femininity, especially gay and lesbian children, that they need to be sterilized and have all their sex organs amputated are pretty fucking homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 16November 21, 2020 6:47 PM

Conservatives tend to go into medicine and engineering, liberals go into the arts. There's your answer, OP.

by Anonymousreply 17November 21, 2020 6:53 PM

I know a ton of doctors who are liberal, they're not as conservative as you think

by Anonymousreply 18November 21, 2020 7:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!