Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chadwick Boseman. Could this be his Oscar?

Here's a review of Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. Pretty high praise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2020 6:31 PM

The Oscars love to award actors post death. How many have they given aside from Ledger? There have to be more, though it is odd to die right after given an award winning performance unless you are quite old.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 5:33 PM

This is one of those sad stories, that years later, when one of his films come on TV, you go awww- so sad. So much promise , but I am glad he had a few moments in the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 5:50 PM

Lots of former winners in the running this year (including recent winner Gary Oldman in Mank) so Boseman’s chances are high.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 5:54 PM

He could also pick up a Supporting nomination for Da Five Bloods, which would probably be a surer thing. They haven't given a posthumous Lead award since Peter Finch.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 5:59 PM

Post death plus black? Bet on it.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 6:00 PM

Can't wait to hear his acceptance speech.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 6:01 PM

Who will get best actress this year? I can’t see them going for Frances McDormand again so soon.

Vanessa Kirby? Sophia Loren?

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2020 6:05 PM

I hate it when they give an Oscar to a cadaver.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 6:05 PM

[quote]Who will get best actress this year? I can’t see them going for Frances McDormand again so soon.

We know who it won’t be.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 6:07 PM

R6 hologram?

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 6:08 PM

[quote]Who will get best actress this year? I can’t see them going for Frances McDormand again so soon.

She seems to be really well-liked in the industry. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Same reason I expect Regina King will get a Best Director nom for One Night in Miami.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 6:19 PM

I hope so. He & Viola Davis look like they're awesome in this. Damn. You know, ever since he died, I started watching his movies and Man, he was an amazing actor. When I think of the work he could have done in the future, it is just a terrible loss because he had a true gift. In fact, he would have surpassed most actors of his generation. Incredible talent. Profound loss to his art.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 6:44 PM

R4 Heath Ledger says Hi.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 9:56 PM

Lead, R13. LEAD. Ledger won Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 10:00 PM

[quote][R4] Heath Ledger says Hi.

Heath was supporting not lead.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2020 10:01 PM

Jesus he was still fucking dead.

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2020 11:04 PM

I thought someone said he would be submitted for supporting for Ma Rainey, so for sure if that's the case he's a lock.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2020 11:06 PM

[quote]The Oscars love to award actors post death. How many have they given aside from Ledger?

Lemme see...one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2020 11:11 PM

Elizabeth Taylor nearly died and then she won an Oscar for it.....

by Anonymousreply 19November 21, 2020 2:50 AM

All you have to do is die, Glenn Close.

by Anonymousreply 20November 21, 2020 5:50 PM

R1, Jeanne Eagels (The Letter), James Dean (East of Eden, Giant), Spencer Tracy (Guess Who's Coming to Dinner), Ralph Richardson (Greystoke) and Massimo Troisi (Il Postino) all earned posthumous nominations for acting, but none of them won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 21, 2020 6:12 PM

James Dean should have won for East of Eden.

by Anonymousreply 22November 21, 2020 6:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!