Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sia Under Fire for Not Casting Autistic Actor for New Film

Sia’s response: “Maybe you’re just a bad actor.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 22, 2020 2:28 PM

She belongs here.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 4:57 PM

Well they’re right. I cringe when these bland actors play autistic and get rewarded. Knowing damn well that autistic actors aren’t getting the work.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 5:00 PM

I've always hated everything about Sia. Her music. Her voice. Her ugly wigs. Her ugly face. Her downfall will be excellent.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 5:02 PM

And I cringe when they hire a disabled person who can't act. It's called acting after all.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 5:02 PM

They are really going after her. Hilarious. She doesn’t give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 5:04 PM

“Hey remember when you apologised for people possibly finding elastic heart offensive or triggering? I really like your music but your response here was very childish.”

These morons.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 5:05 PM

OP please resubmit your post with a headline that integrates OH FANK YOU! YOU FIXDED MY CHEESEBURGER! into it someway

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2020 5:05 PM

R4

When has that actually ever happened? “Disabled” actors are very rarely even given a chance to show their talents and have it way harder in this industry.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 5:11 PM

Roger. I want to have your babies.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 5:17 PM

She should have just said, "I am contractually obligated, under article 4.12 in the Satanic Contract, to use Maddie Ziegler in everything I do." Who could argue with that?

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 5:19 PM

How can she even type with all that hair over her face?

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 5:20 PM

God, this film as been in post for a good few years now. I was starting to think it had been shelved. Anyway, I have a very good friend who worked on the film. She said it was a magical experience and that Sia is a total sweetheart; very caring and creative and passionate. FWIW.

ps. It sounded like a dumb movie to me then when my friend was working on it, and it still sounds dumb to me now. But whatever. I think Sia really likes working with Maddie Z.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 5:23 PM

This wasn’t even a case of “talent” shining through. It doesn’t even sound like any other actor was seriously given a chance. She was always going to use Maddie no matter what. So her point makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 5:27 PM

Sia seems autistic herself.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 5:28 PM

I’ve seen better heads on mops.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2020 5:31 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2020 5:31 PM

She said she hired something like 13 neuroatypical actors R16, so she claims she knows that information.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2020 5:35 PM

Here's my issue - the role should always go to the most believable person who's come in for that role. It's the same thing when casting LGBT characters. I don't care if you're casting the role of a sex worker who gets raped and an actor comes in who once was a sex worker who got raped. Sometimes, they're not the best fit or they can't pull off one particular dramatic scene in a realistic way that fits with the tone of the piece.

Effeminate gay actors also shouldn't complain about not being cast as straight guys in rom coms. Butch it up and maybe you'll get a chance, but no one's going to buy Just Jack as a fan of pussy. Turn off your emotions and think for a second. It's like casting a 76 year old as the mother of two 3 year olds. On what planet is that believable without changing the character to a grandmother?

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2020 5:41 PM

R18

But this bullshit argument is the problem: it boxes out marginalized actors. Gay actors can’t get the same amount of work and shine as their straight peers. Same goes for the disabled.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2020 5:45 PM

Are they supposed to get roles based on charity or talent? That's obviously why someone like Laverne Cox gets roles. She's a terrible actress, but she keeps showing up in everything for some ungodly reason.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2020 5:57 PM

Has the Academy rescinded McConaughey's Oscar yet? Binary bastard.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2020 6:01 PM

So I guess "acting" is out the window since we can't hire people to portray things that they aren't in real life?

When someone needs a sarcastic, asshole sidekick, I'm available for SAG scale....

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2020 6:07 PM

Heterosexuals increase their chances of winning a trophy for playing a gay character. Gay actors are assumed to just be portraying themselves.

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2020 6:09 PM

It’s actually not really about “talent” in Hollywood. You think actors like Jennifer Lawrence and Nick Robinson were chosen for their great talent? Lol Most of these popular actors aren’t even that good.

TV is pretty different from film. TV (shows) is actually moving a lot faster ahead than film, though there is a lot of room for improvement.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2020 6:09 PM

R4 Chris Burke and Lauren Potter come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2020 6:18 PM

The commentators at jezebel think she has an inappropriate grooming relationship with Maddie and other underage people.

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2020 6:26 PM

Monica Bellucci should have been raped before playing a rape victim.

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2020 6:31 PM

The down-syndrome girl in glee was bad.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2020 6:37 PM

This was a really good, sweet scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2020 6:41 PM

Am I now a fan of Sia?

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2020 6:43 PM

[quote] But this bullshit argument is the problem: it boxes out marginalized actors. Gay actors can’t get the same amount of work and shine as their straight peers. Same goes for the disabled.

Life’s not fair. Acting, music, art, athletics— very few people are able to make a living from them, much less reach the upper echelons of Oscar winner or Olympian. People can try but they have to understand they may not succeed.

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2020 6:51 PM

NO one wants to see a real retarded person on screen

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2020 7:20 PM

R32

No one wants to see a real homosexual on screen.

No one wants to see a real black person on screen.

Why don’t you fools see how backwards you really are?

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2020 7:28 PM

R33 must be new here

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2020 7:30 PM

R32 Peanut Butter Falcon was a great film.

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2020 7:36 PM

[quote]NO one wants to see a real retarded person on screen

Sissy made pizza bread in her pants

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2020 7:44 PM

R35 Nothing happened. It was a total polemic.

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2020 9:15 PM

"NO one wants to see a real retarded person on screen"

After the last 4 years they want a bit of relief from it.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2020 9:49 PM

R29 Omg I'm crying right now. That was amazing. I'm not a Glee person, but I know Jane Lynch's character was supposed to be a total hardass. That scene just killed me dead.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2020 11:24 PM

[Quote] You think actors like Jennifer Lawrence and Nick Robinson were chosen for their great talent?

Jennifer can act though.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2020 11:44 PM

Lol at the comments stating that they are on the spectrum and have been “acting” like a neurotypical person for the past 20 years hahaha. If they are truly on the spectrum, nobody is buying it, snowflake. If they were so good at it, they would be called sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 41November 21, 2020 12:22 AM

It’s called acting for a reason. An actor is hired for their ability to embody a role. Most autistic people can’t keep their shit together so how can they morph into someone else for a paying high pressured job? Menu is Sia casting acting jobs? Doesn’t she have more teenagers to adopt?

by Anonymousreply 42November 21, 2020 2:47 AM

People rush to mention blackface to shoot down the “it’s called acting” argument.

by Anonymousreply 43November 21, 2020 3:24 PM

R43

It’s true. Also, even white women at one time were not allowed to act. Men played the women.

by Anonymousreply 44November 21, 2020 3:27 PM

So I assume Kate Hudson is playing a marginally talented actress in this film, if we're casting based on factual background info. Gotcha.

(Tig Notaro is also in it and will clearly mention having had cancer 27 times, as she does in anything she shows up in.)

by Anonymousreply 45November 21, 2020 3:41 PM

Why the fuck is Sia directing a movie? Cunt can't even sing.

by Anonymousreply 46November 21, 2020 3:46 PM

I commend Ryan Murphy’s effective casting of people with Down syndrome and possibly other disabilities in his shows, but I am on Sia’s side because I can’t stand the whining twitterati. Murphy is respectful in his casting and how he writes these characters who do not get a great deal of screen time . Accommodations needed for People with certain disabilities in large roles are likely not feasible or reasonable in film production schedules. It can be done appropriate with the proper amount of research and respect. Disabilities can be very nuanced and the comparison to blackface is completely outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 47November 21, 2020 3:49 PM

No, the comparison is completely accurate. Almost every disabled character is played by an able-bodied actor. Where does that leave disabled actors? With extremely few opportunities and pretty much no place in the industry. It is the same thing black people, brown people, and women went through. The oppressor played them and they weren’t allowed a seat at a table.

by Anonymousreply 48November 21, 2020 3:55 PM

*the table

by Anonymousreply 49November 21, 2020 3:56 PM

[quote]Almost every disabled character is played by an able-bodied actor. Where does that leave disabled actors? With extremely few opportunities and pretty much no place in the industry. It is the same thing black people, brown people, and women went through. The oppressor played them and they weren’t allowed a seat at a table.

Since when did women not get acting jobs in movies?

by Anonymousreply 50November 21, 2020 3:57 PM

R50

Obviously acting existed before movies and TV became the main medium, and in that place boys/young men got the roles of the women. It was illegal for women to act.

by Anonymousreply 51November 21, 2020 3:59 PM

[quote] Where does that leave disabled actors?

Shitting in their diapers on the sidelines where they ought to be.

by Anonymousreply 52November 21, 2020 4:02 PM

R51 It was illegal for women to act.

I thought we were talking about movies, I didn't think we were going back to the 1600s. Anyway (and I don't actually know) wasn't that just in England?

by Anonymousreply 53November 21, 2020 4:02 PM

Yes, R53. Women acted in Ancient Rome and Greece, through the Middle Ages and renaissance and through to the modern pre-film age (and that’s just the western world). Elizabethan England is an exception. Social status of actors varies through these periods, but women were performing.

by Anonymousreply 54November 21, 2020 4:18 PM

R48 They are not talking about disabled actors, they are talking about people with mental health conditions that make them impossible on a set.

by Anonymousreply 55November 21, 2020 6:59 PM

Well, damn, this is....awkward....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 21, 2020 9:07 PM

At least they finally remade A Star Is Born with an alcoholic playing the Norman Maine role. It's so embarrassing how they used to cast non-alcoholics to play alcoholics. Hollywood's Hall Of Shame is full of such things.

by Anonymousreply 57November 22, 2020 10:48 AM

Most of the blue tick accounts I've seen attacking Sia for her creative choices and her response to those who don't respect her creative choices and artistic integrity are the same blue tick accounts who are outraged almost permanently about everything.

I swear there's about 50,000 people on Twitter spread across the world who all follow each other, and all respond to the same outraged tweets.

by Anonymousreply 58November 22, 2020 11:47 AM

Sia believes in 'blind' casting. Haha. Get it? Blind casting! She can't see through her hair!! Never mind. Fucking philistines.

by Anonymousreply 59November 22, 2020 11:49 AM

[quote] Almost every disabled character is played by an able-bodied actor.

Tell me about it!

by Anonymousreply 60November 22, 2020 12:55 PM

Some people are desperate to cancel anyone to feel important in their life.

With everything going on in the world, who was cast playing what in some silly movie should be near the very bottom of the list of things our society should be discussing and trying to address.

by Anonymousreply 61November 22, 2020 1:19 PM

R61

You’re saying that because you have no compassion for what people are going through. You’re dismissing the hardships of disabled actors who can’t get work because you have your head up your ass. They struggle the most in the industry. You forget that this is their job. They need money to survive just like everyone else. They need work.

by Anonymousreply 62November 22, 2020 1:37 PM

Oh please r62. Your post stinks of entitlement. No one owes these actors a career or work— the vast majority of actors, able bodied or no can’t scratch a living performing as it is.

No it’s isn’t fair, but that’s the nature of the business. Perhaps they should consider another line of work or work in another, more accessible part of the industry— just as many other people do when the realize it’s not possible to be a working actor.

by Anonymousreply 63November 22, 2020 2:08 PM

And not everybody can ACT. Good acting takes talent and skill. Pity casting always ends up crap.

But if they can't find the real thing to cast in a role, there's always CGI. Look at Dumbo.

by Anonymousreply 64November 22, 2020 2:19 PM

Aren’t we all somewhat autistic?

by Anonymousreply 65November 22, 2020 2:20 PM

I have no idea who this person is, and have not read the article. But I like her response.

by Anonymousreply 66November 22, 2020 2:22 PM

I am so thankful Rain Man was made in 1988

by Anonymousreply 67November 22, 2020 2:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!