Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kurt Russell Believes Actors Should 'Step Away from Saying Anything' Political.

Kurt Russell is talking about politics in Hollywood.

During a new interview, the 69-year-old actor says he thinks that actors should stay out of politics.

“I’ve always been someone who felt we are court jesters. That’s what we do,” Kurt shared with The New York Times.

“As far as I’m concerned, you should step away from saying anything so that you can still be seen by the audience in any character,” Kurt added.

Kurt did mention that there’s “no reason entertainers can’t learn just as much as anybody else about a subject, whatever it is.”

“But I think that what’s sad about it is that they lose their status as a court jester,” Kurt admitted. “And I’m a court jester. That’s what I was born to do.”

Kurt‘s longtime love Goldie Hawn was also part of the interview, and to her, she feels that celebrities voicing their political opinions is a “personal choice.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 25, 2020 5:36 PM

He's a voice of reason. As a group, actors are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 2:30 PM

Backlash coming in 3... 2... 1...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 2:31 PM

Actors are indeed, for the most part, idiots. But they do have the ability to sway public opinion in a society that values entertainment over science, health, literature, wisdom, and well, everything else. So why not use the fact that Americans are so stupid that they will listen to and care about what people who spend their entire lives pretending to be other people have to say.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 2:32 PM

"As a group, actors are idiots."

As a group, politicians are much, much bigger idiots but that doesn't seem to stop them from voicing their idiotic opinions.

See: Trump, Donald

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 2:32 PM

So, Kurt's a Republican?

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 2:33 PM

R5, that was my immediate thought.

Funny how once upon a time, Republicans -who had no problem with birtherism- wanted to amend the requirements to run for president so that Arnold S. could run. Did Kurt have an issue when Arnold not only talked about politics, but became governor? The list of actors who not only talk about politics, but ran for office, is a lot longer for Reps than Dems.

Trump had NO business running and these idiots who scream about celebrities now worship this swine.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 2:39 PM

[quote]“As far as I’m concerned, you should step away from saying anything so that you can still be seen by the audience in any character,” Kurt added.

Kurt Russell is a Libertarian who grew up Republican and "hates" both the Democrats and Republicans. He still leans conservative.

That's why he said all of this.

He's really saying that he shouldn't speak out and share his views because he will be eaten alive.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2020 2:41 PM

Why are you booing him? He’s right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 2:44 PM

As well he should keep silent considering that current conservatism looks like Fascism and/or cowardice in the face of that Fascism.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 2:44 PM

I completely agree with the man. Just because you were third banana on a CW vampire romance drama 5 years ago doesn't suddenly make you profound or give you the right to bore us with you opinions. I do prefer 'actors' who disappear into their characters.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 2:47 PM

R9 Nutjob.

He'll lose his career if he doesn't play along with pretending America is a fascist country ruled by a hillbilly Hitler. So he just wisely keeps his mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 2:48 PM

I wouldn't listen to most actor's opinions about acting. I definitely don't care what they think about politics.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 2:49 PM

R10, too bad a certain B movie actor didn't take your advice in the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 2:50 PM

Betty Davis felt the same way.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 2:50 PM

The ego of an actor compels them to think they have the right to speak out about things publicly. They think they are doing it from their heart but 99% of the time it's from their ego. If it weren't they would do things behind the scenes, like George Michael used to do. The idea of being super vocal about something that is not related to your work is a form of getting attention. They use their platform and fame to soak up more attention in between projects.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2020 2:50 PM

B14 Bette also refused to be identified by a feminist no matter how many independent strong women she played. She comes off stronger more than 30 years since her death for having stood up for that in her old age.

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2020 2:53 PM

I agree with him wholeheartedly. In the old days, the studio days, actors more often than not kept their private opinions about many things exactly that, private. They knew the importance of keeping the mystique of the movie world alive for the fans. Stars were idolized in a way they haven't been in many years. Today actors are more often than not seen as just normal people who got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2020 2:54 PM

Yeah, all of those actors who were a part of the Civil Rights Movement should've just kept quiet and go make movies. When Hollywood was under attack by the govt during the Red Scare, they should've just STFU.

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2020 2:57 PM

Are we not going to discuss how haggard he looks?

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2020 2:59 PM

Oh, and they should also never speak up about any anti-gay legislation. Just go act and tell us about your skincare routines.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2020 2:59 PM

There's nothing heroic about modern actors' faux activism. They also aren't brave for toeing the industry line.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2020 3:01 PM

Get a haircut, Kurt! It's not 1988 any more.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2020 3:03 PM

He's a Republican idiot. Actors are citizens and have the right to speak their minds like anyone else.

This is a typical Republican talking point - Hollywood liberals should shut up...EXCEPT these stars who agree with us Republicans! Eastwood, James Woods, Scott Baio, etc.

I don't know why Goldie Hawn is with this asshole.

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2020 3:04 PM

Applauding R15’s comment.

I don’t want to hear ANYONE’s political opinion.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2020 3:07 PM

R19 Do we start now? How long till someone mentions the pink elephant?

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2020 3:08 PM

What other professions does Mr. Russell believe should require their practitioners to give up their First Amendment rights?

Grocery store clerks? Are they well-educated enough to spout an opinion?

Plumbers? Should they tell us about the shit they've seen, or just shut up about it?

If a young person wants to exercise his, her, or their First Amendment rights, should they major in political punditry in college in order not to be told to keep their opinions to themselves?

And if R24 doesn't want to hear any political opinions, is that our responsibility to make sure no one speaks about politics in his presence? Or is that his own fucking problem and he doesn't have to listen when someone else talks?

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2020 3:09 PM

Translation: I'm right wing.

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2020 3:11 PM

Actors must not be citizens and CERTAINLY must not run for public office.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2020 3:12 PM

[quote]Plumbers? Should they tell us about the shit they've seen, or just shut up about it?

I guess it was OK to hear from Joe the Plumber who then went on tour with the Republican clown car. I wonder why Kurt never said this when Clint spoke to an empty chair.

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2020 3:12 PM

I completely disagree agree with the man. Just because you were third banana on a CW vampire romance drama 5 years ago doesn't suddenly make you unable to be profound or refuse you the right to bore us with you opinions.

The LAST thing this country needs is for people to stop speaking up when they see injustice.

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2020 3:12 PM

I think I'm ready to not hear what actors think of politics. I'll just assume they're liberal/progressive. I could also use a break from hearing about who's bisexual or non binary or whatever.

All the lectures and scolding and group think is a turn off.

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2020 3:14 PM

It is better than 15 years ago I totally wrote off all the late night talk shows. It occurred to me I knew too much about the hosts and celebrity guests and didn't particularly like any of them. Certainly not enough to willingly submit to their finger wagging lectures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2020 3:14 PM

Aren’t court jesters supposed to be funny?

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2020 3:17 PM

The reason he said that is that he was asked about his politics and he sidesteps because he knows he believes in some out there shit and he would get blow back from some of his ridiculous beliefs.

Lay it out on the table Kurt - you had no problems in the past. In fact, he said he was often discriminated against for being a Republican in Hollywood. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2020 3:17 PM

R33, they are funny and politically savvy. John Oliver's show is Pulitzer-level journalism with their in-depth pieces on things you DON'T hear on the news.

[quote]In fact, he said he was often discriminated against for being a Republican in Hollywood. Whatever.

Poor thing. Did he get the German Shepherds attacking him or fire hoses?

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2020 3:20 PM

I've been on pins and needles awaiting his opinion.

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2020 3:22 PM

At R33 , I was referring to Kurt who was referring to himself as a ‘court jester’. Does ANYONE think of him like that?

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2020 3:25 PM

9 times out of 10 an actor is political to get attention. For instance those jackasses singing together on that video early in the pandemic. There are many ways they can engage politically without making a fuss or seeking publicity. Big donations, for starters.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2020 3:27 PM

I think Matt Damon (?) said the more you know about an actor, the harder it is for that actor to create believable characters -- or something along those lines. In that sense, I agree with Kurt Russell. Of course, actors have the right to talk about whatever they like, but it's dangerous having an opinion these days. Or not. Weren't Hanson in trouble recently for NOT saying anything about BLM?

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2020 3:39 PM

Harry Belafonte, Sidney Poitier, Barbra Streisand and Jane Fonda are NOT court jesters.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2020 3:46 PM

R38, do you have a source for that 9/10 statistic? Because I can think of several actors who have spoken out, and who don't appear to be seeking attention, but who apparently believe they have the right to say what they think. De Niro, Streep, Mel Gibson -- even Kurt Russell, right here in this story. He wants us to believe he has the right to say what he wants with his public megaphone, including that other people should just shut up.

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2020 3:48 PM

As tax-paying citizens of this country, they can say whatever the fuck they want, just like we can.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2020 3:53 PM

Yes, and if Russell knew even a teeny, teeny bit about history and / or literature, he'd know the jester was the one and only member of The King's Court who could say anything and everything about anyone and everyone without fear of being put to death or other reprisal.

Up to and including telling unpleasant truths about others and revealing their scandals.

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2020 4:06 PM

There was some gossip about him and Goldie not wanting kate to date a-rod because they didn't want mixed grand children, him being a rethuglican lines up with that gossip.

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2020 4:12 PM

I don't think he's saying actors don't have any right to speak. I think he's saying it's unwise because it potentially closes off some of their audience.

And I discovered a long time ago that the less I know about Kurt Russell the man, the more I can enjoy him in film roles. Because everything I've inadvertently learned so far - he loves to hunt, for example - has been a turn-off.

by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2020 4:13 PM

"I won't say anything about politics because I'm a Republican and I want people to see my movies." If he is obviously not proud of being one if he needs to sidestep. I agree though that most times I don't care about what a celeb thinks, but there are cases such as now when it is necessary to speak out against evil...unless of course, you support that evil.

by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2020 4:20 PM

R7 is correct. And see R46 for a perfect example of the mindset that's out there.

by Anonymousreply 47November 20, 2020 4:26 PM

... in which an actor makes a very political statement about actors not making political statements.

Truly, at this point in our body politic's maturity, few things are more political than saying be quiet about politics.

by Anonymousreply 48November 20, 2020 4:31 PM

No one should be muzzled, regardless of profession.

by Anonymousreply 49November 20, 2020 4:38 PM

Always liked Kurt, disappointed he's a Trumpper

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2020 4:49 PM

For me it 's not about wanting to muzzle anyone. It's about the intention behind why someone is choosing to speak out. Pretty sure most of us on DL recoil at the ego gratification celebs demand when they shout their opinions from the rooftops. It's not partisan. Performative wokeness is just as annoying as Jon Voight's performative ass-licking of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2020 4:50 PM

I can't imagine any sensible person giving credence to, let alone being swayed by, the public pronouncements of an actor.

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2020 4:52 PM

Tell that to Reagan and Schwarzenegger.

by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2020 4:52 PM

R53 obviously overlooked the word "sensible".

by Anonymousreply 54November 20, 2020 4:53 PM

[quote]There was some gossip about him and Goldie not wanting kate to date a-rod because they didn't want mixed grand children, him being a rethuglican lines up with that gossip.

Wow, if true. They wouldn't be his grandkids anyway, but if Goldie thinks that way, then she's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2020 4:58 PM

That group should include athletes!!!

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2020 5:02 PM

Businessmen should step away from saying anything political. TV reality show stars should step away political.

by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2020 5:11 PM

[quote] Betty Davis felt the same way.

Bette Davis was a vocal Democrat. However, she didn't go around offering her opinions to anyone who would listen, but she wouldn't shy away from expressing them when asked either. She also never allowed herself to be a spokesperson for any specific political causes. She also wasn't a political sycophant. If someone or something in her own party annoyed her, she had no problem making it known.

Barbara Stanwyck, was a staunch Republican, but her attitude was much the same as Davis'. Both held strong political beliefs, yet both were actresses first and never activists.

by Anonymousreply 58November 20, 2020 5:53 PM

She probably got that from Fred MacMurray, who was full tilt.

by Anonymousreply 59November 20, 2020 8:40 PM

Kate Hudson has a beautiful mixed race daughter who has grandparents that dote on her.

by Anonymousreply 60November 20, 2020 9:01 PM

A-Rod is Hispanic,R44; that's what you think is "mixed'?

by Anonymousreply 61November 20, 2020 10:49 PM

Both M and director John Carpenter are friends with Kurt but each has described him as to the right of Attila The Hun.

From a J Carpenter interview:

John Carpenter: He’s a great great performer and great actor. He’s you know he thinks he is old now. He doesn’t want to do any more action movies. He believes some strange things sometimes. I don’t know if you know about Kurt Russell. He is to the right of Attila the Hun I mean he is extreme right and I’m extreme left. But it’s love of cinema and love of the craft of movies that keeps us together. So it just shows you what the important things are in life. If you love something the movie making process in our case then you can get along. You never know. That’s one thing you say in this business. Never say never about anything. You just don’t know what’s going to happen. But no he’s been a friend for many years many years. Kurt’s a great guy.

by Anonymousreply 62November 20, 2020 11:17 PM

[Quote] There was some gossip about him and Goldie not wanting kate to date a-rod because they didn't want mixed grand children, him being a rethuglican lines up with that gossip.

I heard that too. Although i think she dodged a bullet with A-Rod, he comes off as a tool.

And isn't Kurt a gun nut?

by Anonymousreply 63November 20, 2020 11:58 PM

He was so 🔥 in Silkwood.

Woof!

by Anonymousreply 64November 21, 2020 12:02 AM

R61 Uh Hispanic is not a race, and he's clearly not a white man so yes dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 65November 21, 2020 12:31 AM

Under normal circumstances, I would agree. However, this is the Trump era and having a platform means you must speak out or risk being seen as a supporter of what's going on.

by Anonymousreply 66November 21, 2020 12:32 AM

[quote]So, Kurt's a Republican?

So Kurt's transitioning?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 21, 2020 1:04 AM

R7 nails it. he's the typical phony libertarian who "hates" both parties but basically is a standard issue Republican

by Anonymousreply 68November 21, 2020 1:09 AM

He needs to get that neck taken care of

by Anonymousreply 69November 21, 2020 1:15 AM

Beauty fades, dumb is forever.

by Anonymousreply 70November 21, 2020 1:54 AM

R16, I don't really get that though? In a lot of ways she was a feminist. Seems like she was just really saying "I'm not like one of those girls".

by Anonymousreply 71November 21, 2020 3:01 AM

[quote] he's clearly not a white man

racist fuk

by Anonymousreply 72November 21, 2020 3:04 AM

He's a fucking idiot. Libertarians are asshats. I have no problem with actors voicing their opinions as long as they support the Democratic party.

by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2020 3:15 AM

R71, lots of people who deny being a feminist, female and male alike, are clearly feminists, because they believe women are as smart and capable as men and that women should be paid the same as men are paid for the same job.

But they don't bother finding out what feminism really means, and they associate it with far-left liberal radical politics and don't want that label. But they are still feminists, whether they like it or not. Bette Davis falls in that category, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2020 1:51 PM

R71, lots of people who deny being a feminist, female and male alike, are clearly feminists, because they believe women are as smart and capable as men and that women should be paid the same as men are paid for the same job.

But they don't bother finding out what feminism really means, and they associate it with far-left liberal radical politics and don't want that label. But they are still feminists, whether they like it or not. Bette Davis falls in that category, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2020 1:51 PM

The problem is that whenever people make these types of comments, they are almost always referring to leftwing aligning people. What about those moronic NFL players who are vocal Trump supporters? The same better apply to them .

by Anonymousreply 76November 21, 2020 1:57 PM

You know what's more appalling when it's outspoken right-wingers? When it's someone like that racist shit Curt Schilling, it's particularly disgraceful, because that asshole failed at a business and got bailed out by taxpayers. But he's a "libertarian," too.

by Anonymousreply 77November 21, 2020 2:05 PM

Kurt's been away from normal reality for quite a while now. Starting in his teen years, when he was Walt Disney's cumdump when guys his age were getting shipped off to Vietnam

by Anonymousreply 78November 21, 2020 2:19 PM

R72 I'm latino dumbass

by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2020 8:27 PM

Kurt, deal with your dated hairstyle and turkey neck, and then we can discuss more important issues.

by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2020 8:57 PM

Speaking of Kurt, Goldie Hawn turns 75 today.

by Anonymousreply 81November 21, 2020 9:45 PM

Has Goldie Hawn ever apologized for giving us Kate Hudson? What a travesty that was.

by Anonymousreply 82November 21, 2020 9:47 PM

He should apologize to us for that mullet and those teeth.

by Anonymousreply 83November 21, 2020 9:50 PM

They have a relationship where he gets to fuck around and Goldie and nothing

by Anonymousreply 84November 21, 2020 10:45 PM

says* nothing

by Anonymousreply 85November 21, 2020 10:46 PM

He can fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 86November 21, 2020 10:47 PM

Here is an interview. Kurt looks better in this. Goldie is embalmed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 25, 2020 2:57 PM

Goldie tried to preserve herself exactly as she was in her prime. She should have accepted ageing and developed a new hairstyle and look. You can be a great looking older person or you can look like a plastic surgery victim. You can't look like a great looking young person forever and when you try to freeze the hands of time you end up looking like Goldie. She probably should have used more sunscreen too for someone so terrified of ageing although I don't mind aged skin. I just assume that person had lots of beach walks and vacation and lived well.

by Anonymousreply 88November 25, 2020 5:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!