Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alan Rickman's Widow Sells Diaries

Best known for films such as the Harry Potter series and Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves, actor Alan Rickman kept extensive diaries during his career. Running from 1992 until his unexpected death in 2016, I can reveal they will now be published in all their unexpurgated glory. Entries include worries about his role as Severus Snape in Harry Potter, particularly thoughts that his screen character was not as well fleshed out as in J.K. Rowling’s books. There are also comments about conversations of encouragement with Daniel Radcliffe, who was only 11 when cast in the lead role. ‘They are a detailed record of his career and remarkable life,’ says actor Neil Pearson, who these days owns a rare books company. He acquired Rickman’s archive, which includes diaries, letters and annotated scripts, from Rickman’s widow Rima. The publishing rights have now been sold to Canongate, best known for Barack Obama’s memoir Dreams From My Father. Rima Rickman already knew Canongate’s managing director Jamie Byng, son of the Earl of Strafford and stepson of the late Sir Christopher Bland, a former BBC chairman. Pearson says Rickman’s diaries also contain ‘his shrewd, waspish and often hilarious comments’ about films and plays he saw. And they detail stage rehearsals where he was both an actor and director, as well as meetings and even meals. He had a very wide circle of friends and acquaintances, including Prince Charles, Tony Blair and Gordon Brown (Rickman was a lifelong Labour supporter) and those close to him in his profession, such as Emma Thompson, Lindsay Duncan and Juliet Stevenson, who starred with him in Truly Madly Deeply. ‘Alan sort of adopted me when I was 20 at the Royal Shakespeare,’ says Stevenson, who did not know that Rickman was keeping diaries. ‘He scooped me up into his circle and we were very close friends for life. He loved to look out for young talent as they were a sort of children for him. ‘He would also come to see everything I did on stage

by Anonymousreply 811/20/2020

He did the same with Sean Biggerstaff.

by Anonymousreply 111/20/2020

I miss him. :(

by Anonymousreply 211/20/2020

The best.

by Anonymousreply 311/20/2020

Usually, I’m not much for reading diaries and correspondence, but I have to admit this piques my interest. Would like to read his account of “Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.”

by Anonymousreply 411/20/2020

Unexpurgated? What are we about to learn about Alan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511/20/2020

I would love to hear his comments on David Yates. I think David Yates did a terrible job of HP5. This is what Alan wrote about him in the diary: “It’s as if David Yates has decided that this is not important in the scheme of things i.e. teen audience appeal.”

by Anonymousreply 611/20/2020

bump

by Anonymousreply 711/20/2020

Why did you "bump" it?

by Anonymousreply 811/20/2020
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!