Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm amazed how The Flintstones have totally disappeared off the radar.

It was timeless and seemed to be around for so many years - a major part of our culture in its unusual way and deserved to be, it was so clever.

I never saw the movie. Never went near it. Know nothing about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 22, 2020 1:52 AM

There's so much new content there's no need to recycle old content the way we used to, when all we had was syndicated TV in the afternoons after school. I think "The Brady Bunch" is facing a similar fate - I'm a late Gen X-er and I saw every episode multiple times in reruns as a kid and it seemed like a cultural touchstone everyone knew. Now it just seems ancient and forgotten. I think "Friends" has taken over the cultural space "Brady Bunch" once did - a cheesy sitcom from a slightly older era that young people embrace despite its dated cheesiness. "Fliintstones" feels like its fallen into the same abyss.

Though I will say that the episode with the bottomless pit utterly scarred me as a child. It was the single most terrifying thing I'd ever seen at age 7 and it gave me nightmares and anxiety for years after.

by Anonymousreply 1November 20, 2020 10:12 AM

R1 I don’t recall that episode at all and I’m positive I’ve seen every Flintstones! I’ll have to look it up.

by Anonymousreply 2November 20, 2020 10:19 AM

The cable channel ME TV is running "The Flintstones"; they added it fairly recently to their schedule. So it hasn't disappeared completely.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2020 10:21 AM

When I was a kid in the 90s they'd have primetime Flintstone specials on ABC or CBS. They'd re-run things like "Pebbles and Bam Bam Get Married", or "The Flintstones Meet The Jetsons". I can't imagine many people were watching.

by Anonymousreply 4November 20, 2020 10:24 AM

People love to hate Viva Rock Vegas, I did too. Until one night I was drunk and watched it on Netflix. It was surprisingly good. It gives backstories on the characters. Fred and Barney lived in a log Airstream in a trailer park before they met the girls.

The best part is when they show Fred and Wilma driving around looking at half built neighborhoods. They show them picking out a lot and building the house they'll live in.

by Anonymousreply 5November 20, 2020 10:28 AM

I don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 6November 20, 2020 10:33 AM

Scooby-Doo was spastic and moronic in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 7November 20, 2020 10:42 AM

You can't expect every show to reach the intellectual heights of The Flintstones. Such gifts come but once a generation.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 10:56 AM

It's The Honeymooners but with a bunch of "hilarious" stone-age jokes. It deserves a painful death.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 12:09 PM

Fred: i want to return this bowling ball Store Worker: whats wrong with it Fred: my fingers don't fit Store Worker: they might if you washed them

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 12:14 PM

Was a kid/preteen in the 2000s, and I imagine my generation was the last to sit down and watch these old Hanna-Barberas and such on an actual old-fashioned tv.

My family were relatively poor back then so we didn’t have cable, but as a kid I would always sneak over to my friend’s place and watch tons of shows her enormous screen with 99 channels (we were sheltered boring gay kids in a hillbilly town with nothing to do). When the contemporary fare on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon or Disney Channel got boring, we would occasionally switch over to Boomerang!, a kids’ channel that showed (or still does, on streaming? I’m not sure) vintage toons and shows that would not fit on other channels’ programming blocks.

We actually got pretty engrossed in certain shows; my favourites from that time are TOP CAT, HONG KONG PHOOEY, GARFIELD & FRIENDS, THE PINK PANTHER, WACKY RACES (and that weird spinoff with Dick Dastardly & Muttley in a flying squadron, STOP THE PIGEON or something?), THUNDERBIRDS/CAPTAIN SCARLET, FELIX THE CAT, SECRET SQUIRREL, CAPTAIN CAVEMAN, PEANUTS, CASPER, BEETLEJUICE, JEM & THE HOLOGRAMS, THE SMURFS, LOONEY TUNES (esp SYLVESTER & TWEETY and TAZ OF TAZMANIA), SPIDER-MAN (the OG from the 70s), and certain episodes of TOM & JERRY (only certain eras, though).

And there were an equal number of shows I really didn’t get the appeal of and never got into, like BETTY BOOP, POPEYE, MIGHTY MOUSE, HELP! ITS THE HAIR BEAR BUNCH, HUCKLEBERRY HOUND, SNAGGLEPUSS, WOODY WOODPECKER, RICHIE RICH, MAGILLA GORILLA, HE-MAN, THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN, CAPTAIN PLANET, JOSIE & THE PUSSYCATS, SPEED RACER, CARE BEARS, THE SNORKS, ROCKY & BULLWINKLE, SCOOBY-DOO (feel like I’m the only person alive in the English-speaking world who hates it), THE FLINSTONES (sorry, OP) & THE JETSONS.

When it comes to kids’ programming, I think the 1980s-90s were the pinnacle. Before that, cartoons seemed to just be like animated sitcoms for adults.

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 12:18 PM

Why Fred Flinstone is the Attorney General of the United States!

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 12:20 PM

Who can forget

Ann-Margrock

Stoney Curtis

Gary Granite

They'll live forever.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 12:22 PM

Scroll down the list of cable channels. There are a couple that run it. I think one has the old b&w episodes.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 12:22 PM

WHET to Wally Gator?

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2020 12:23 PM

It's very old fashioned and wasn't able to modernize itself.

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2020 12:33 PM

Rosie killed off the franchise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2020 12:33 PM

Yet Flintstone vitamins are still a very profitable concern.

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2020 12:37 PM

r17 Rosie was waaaaaay too fat to play Betty Rubble. She was unbelievable and an insult to Bea Benaderet.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2020 12:38 PM

The opening theme song and the visuals have outlasted the show itself, which happens to most animations.

Kids today could probably sing ‘Meet The Flinstones’ or recognise an image of the characters, but not know the characters’ names or describe them or synopsise a plot or understand what is meant by ”yabba dabba doo”.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2020 12:41 PM

Rosie was going to play a TRex but then the producers decided she was too butch.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2020 12:42 PM

As Fred would say, "Yabba dabba doodie!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2020 1:08 PM

R11 First let me just say how impressive your memory is! I loved those shows you mentioned too. The animation, sound effects and music in The Chuck Jones episodes of Tom and Jerry were far superior to the other episodes. Chuck Jones was a genius. He did many other shows, movies and specials too. Remember Cricket in Time Square and Rikki Tiki Tavi?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2020 1:13 PM

R9 the incredible TOP CAT was a direct parody of THE PHIL SILVERS SHOW, which no-one knows or remembers now, either. What's your point?

I love TC, but while the basic humour still works and the plots hold up marvellously, there are so many subtle jokes in it that fall flat or are incomprehensible thanks to the passage of time, now. There's also a bit of values dissonance at work, such as the way the cats treat their girlfriends or people of other nationalities. I am pleasantly surprised that it ever gets aired, anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2020 1:18 PM

The Royal Order of Water Buffalo Lodge was supposed to be Masonic, but I think it was just an excuse to have gay sex orgies and get away from the wife and kids for a while.

The Grand Poobah was probably hung like a....horse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2020 1:22 PM

R25 What do you expect with such a horny bunch of guys?

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2020 1:28 PM

I thought Rosie was a good Betty. I don't understand the Rosie-hate on DL.

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2020 1:29 PM

[quote] I think "The Brady Bunch" is facing a similar fate - I'm a late Gen X-er and I saw every episode multiple times in reruns as a kid and it seemed like a cultural touchstone everyone knew. Now it just seems ancient and forgotten.

I'm also a late Gen Xer and I could never watch the Brady Bunch. Not only was it retarded, it looked archaic to me. Even in the 1980s those early 70s fashions looked horribly weird and dated.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2020 1:36 PM

[quote]I'm also a late Gen Xer and I could never watch the Brady Bunch. Not only was it retarded, it looked archaic to me. Even in the 1980s those early 70s fashions looked horribly weird and dated.

i thought that's the whole appeal.

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2020 1:37 PM

r3 MeTV is not a cable channel. It's an over-the air broadcast service that's on local TV stations nationwide.

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2020 1:42 PM

Yes. For me, Me TV is attached to the NBC station

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2020 1:49 PM

I'm a college teacher (Gen X) and there are no pop cultural references from the 60s-70s that students get anymore. This is their grandparents' era; it's how I would see the Depression—although come to think of it, I watched enough 30s movies to get those references.

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2020 1:49 PM

R11 I'm of a similar age and also watched Boomerang with the old 60's cartoons. Even got the toys from Dairy Queen. Now, what was considered "contemporary" on Cartoon Network back then is what is being shown on that same channel today. My, how time flies, but also the timeline to becoming a "classic" is much shorter now. The old Hanna Barbara cartoons were like 35-40 years old at that point. Shows like Dexter's Laboratory and the Powerpuff Girls, the majority of the new line up, are 20, pushing 25 years old. What is considered "old" is becoming younger and younger every year.

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2020 1:50 PM

The Bottomless Pit episode. Terrified the absolute living f*ck out of me as a child in that way that only a child brain can do. Nightmares for months.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2020 2:17 PM

R13--I still call all those *STARS* by their Flintstones Names.

Wasn't there a movie Starlet named Tuesday Wednesday? And I will never forget Dino's crush on Sassy the TV dinosaur. He gets to see her in person as she pulls off her false eyelashes and his illusions of her spectacular beauty are crushed.

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2020 2:43 PM

I got detention for saying they pull that bird's cock to make it scream.

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2020 2:55 PM

Just how old were Fred & Wilma meant to be? That was always so confusing to me. They acted and sounded like middle-aged people winding down their lives, but they had baby children and a starter home.

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2020 3:16 PM

As a little girl in the 70s I always bristled at the unfairness of the TV families. The women had to obey their husbands and scheme to get any money from them. Why didn’t Samantha Stevens blink herself a groovy husband instead of that uptight prick Derwood?

Those people didn’t reflect any sort of reality of my life being raised by a feminist single mother.

Although I hated “One Day At A Time”, too.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2020 3:26 PM

[quote]Why didn’t Samantha Stevens blink herself a groovy husband instead of that uptight prick Derwood?

That was the whole premise of the story/comedy.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2020 3:30 PM

Their depiction of the Stone Age was problematic.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2020 3:52 PM

R38 I agree, the begging for money thing was galling. Although it wasn't the norm back then, my Mom made twice as much as my Dad did, and they shared the money. I do remember them having half joking conversations about Dad's "toys" whenever he wanted and new motorcycle though. But he certainly didn't have to beg.

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2020 3:56 PM

I'm a 1950s kid so I loved The Flintstones, Top Cat, Peter Potamus, Warner Bros.' Golden Age cartoons, and a lot of Hanna Barbera stuff. Things like Wally Gator, Breezely Bruin, Squiddly Diddly were hysterical to me. I own most seasons of The Flintstones (though it truly jumped the shark when Bam-Bam and Pebbles had that stupid "so let the sunshine in" song), Top Cat (a travesty that it was canceled after one season), Huckleberry Hound, and Underdog. They help me sleep believe it or not, though I'd be embarrassed if any colleagues found out that I actively purchase and enjoy them.

Now, let's talk about Tennessee Tuxedo.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2020 4:06 PM

None of those had the level of fame of The Flintstones, r42 - The Flintstones were the Beatles of cartoonland.

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2020 4:10 PM

^^ Yes, they were Hollywood Animation Royalty.

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2020 5:17 PM

r37 They were probably meant to be around 30. But back then once you got married and had kids, you're life was set on a narrow path til you died.

by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2020 5:22 PM

[quote] [R9] the incredible TOP CAT was a direct parody of THE PHIL SILVERS SHOW, which no-one knows or remembers now, either

Same with Scooby Doo being based on Dobie Gillis characters. Nobody remembers Dobie Gillis today but it was so popular in its time that the character Maynard popularized “like” as a filler into American English. I mean, like - did you, like...... ever see anyone - like, in an old movie or tv show - use the word “like” as often as, like, Maynard did?

by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2020 6:27 PM

R46 is a pluperfect Fink!

He should live in a cave and become a Helmet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 20, 2020 6:44 PM

My mom watched The Flintstones every afternoon on MeTV.

by Anonymousreply 48November 20, 2020 6:58 PM

Like a Helmet Crab r47?

by Anonymousreply 49November 20, 2020 7:42 PM

R46 everything really is just fanfic of something else.

by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2020 7:45 PM

[quote] everything really is just fanfic of something else.

True. Gilligan s Island was just Laurel & Hardy with sexy girls....and a lot of plot lines taken from Dobie Gillis.

by Anonymousreply 51November 20, 2020 8:02 PM

R32 Aren't your students' grandparents a little too old to have been growing up in the 60's? The earliest their grandparents would have been born is like 1950 if they had kids at a normal age. You could maybe push down to 1960-1965 if they were teen parents and then their kids were teen parents, but how common is that, really? So more than likely, the grandparents who grew up on these cartoons won't see their grandchildren go to college for another five or so years at least.

by Anonymousreply 52November 20, 2020 8:16 PM

I think it was all the smoking in the early episodes. Try explaining to young people today that cartoons were sponsored by cigarettes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 20, 2020 8:21 PM

Disappeared off whose radar?

Flintstones has never totally gone off the air since it first ran, show has been on somewhere in world ever since.

MeTV added Flintstones to their programming line-up several months ago now, and IIRC there might be some other stations (cable, network , etc..) broadcasting as well .

Recall watching a documentary or some television program on either cartoons/animation shows in USA or maybe it was just about the Flintstones, but they interviewed various actors who provided voices. One of those interviewed was Jean Vander Pyl who supplied voice for Wilma and Pebbles Flintstone. She said at start of show actors were offered choice between straight union scale pay, or a lesser amount plus a cut of the action. All declined the latter and took former. Ms. Vander Pyl said words to affect "what a huge mistake...". "We didn't know that the Flintstones would be such a hit and last decades".

On another note (and IIRC this was also brought up in aforementioned program), the Flintstones was clearly a rip off of "The Honeymooners", and everyone including Jackie Gleason knew it. People kept getting at Mr. Gleason to sue creators/studio and everyone else related to the Flintstones... he would surely win and there likely would be a large payout. True kind heart gentleman Mr. Gleason was he shot down all such ideas and said he wouldn't ever do such a thing. He didn't want to be known as the man who "took away the Flintstones from children"...

This of course like much early animation/cartoons such as Looney Tunes/Bugs Bunny....the Flintstones did not start out as purely entertainment for children. It was an adult themed animation situation comedy if you will; guest stars (Tony Curtis, Ann Margaret, Samantha Stephens, etc....) were not actors you'd associate with children's programming.

by Anonymousreply 54November 20, 2020 8:49 PM

I was so pissed when Boomerang dropped them.

by Anonymousreply 55November 20, 2020 9:07 PM

There were so many good gags with animals as household appliances, e.g., the pigosaurus garbage disposal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2020 9:18 PM

I watched this episode a couple of weeks ago...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 20, 2020 9:24 PM

I'm in my late 20s. A millennial. Me and my peers did grow up watching The Flintstones along with The Jetsons, Josie and The Pussycats, Yogi Bear, Jabber Jaw, Hillbilly Bears, Looney Tunes, Hong Kong Phooey and of course all of the Scooby-Doo shows. Mainly because Cartoon Network was still mostly reruns of old Hanna-Barbera and Warner Bros cartoons up until the mid 2000s. I even remember some of the obscure stuff like Banana Splits and that Gary Coleman angel show. And of course, Adult Swim kept Space Ghost, Birdman, Sealab and Brak alive with the postmodern adult revivals. Also, there was only a few cable channels for kids/families and Saturday morning blocks. So we took what we could get.

Gen Z is the generation that isn't exposed to this because cable TV began dying out in the early 2010s as Netflix, Hulu and other streaming services took over. They aren't forced to watch what is just on. There is more options.

by Anonymousreply 58November 20, 2020 9:29 PM

I agree that Friends and Full House have both replaced stuff like The Brady Bunch and Gilligans Island as over-syndicated sitcoms that remain popular with the youth today. The Office is becoming the new Seinfeld. Everything does work in cycles.

by Anonymousreply 59November 20, 2020 9:36 PM

I have a 20 year old cousin called Wilma.

by Anonymousreply 60November 20, 2020 9:41 PM

Gen Z are mainly introduced to the Brady Bunch through the "Sure Jan" meme from the Movie and RuPaul. The Movie and sequel were the best thing to come out of the Brady franchise. But the TV sequels like Brady Brides, Variety Hour and The Bradys are hilariously bad on their own.

The theme song to Brady Brides made me burst out tears of laughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 20, 2020 9:47 PM

Not only are the Flintstones heavily promoted on MeTV, they are also, in a neat marketing coup, being sponsored by Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles; I am noticing ads for these two cereals on television for the first time in a long while.

by Anonymousreply 62November 20, 2020 9:52 PM

The difference between husbands and wives is so puzzling. How horny and straight were the cartoonists?

by Anonymousreply 63November 20, 2020 10:07 PM

Flintstones, eat the Flintstones....

by Anonymousreply 64November 20, 2020 10:17 PM

R63 The fat and/or ugly guy married to the pretty youthful wife originated from The Honeymooners which The Flintstones was an animated clone of. The Jetsons, The Simpsons and Family Guy all followed suite. As did live-action stuff like Married...with Children, Fresh Prince, King of Queens and According to Jim.

by Anonymousreply 65November 20, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote] Adult Swim kept Space Ghost, Birdman, Sealab and Brak alive

Zorak is the spirit animal of my bitter ancient soul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 20, 2020 10:28 PM

The Flintstones also doesn't age well in some ways. The misogyny for one. Why would two beautiful (by cartoon standards) and intelligent women like Wilma and Betty be married to ugly fat and stupid slobs like Fred and Barney. Despite their husbands' stupidity they still stuck with them. Also the jokes about the wives being shrill ill-tempered nags who physically abused their husbands and being careless spenders. Family Guy and The Simpsons also come across as antiquated for that reason too but I guess it's part of the charm.

I agree with a previous poster about Bewitched too. Samantha had no business or reason to be married to an insecure control freak like Darren. Darren was also short-tempered and ugly. And the fact that Sam was more powerful yet still stayed with him doesn't quite click. He must have been great in bed. I Dream of Jeannie was at least explained that she was a genie, a literal slave but also Larry Hagman was a very handsome man and much nicer to Jeanie too.

by Anonymousreply 67November 20, 2020 11:02 PM

As a kid, I used to watch The Flintstones and a lot of the aforementioned cartoons on TNT. I've always wondered why Fred and Betty's eyes were different from Wilma and Fred's.

by Anonymousreply 68November 20, 2020 11:09 PM

R13, And, who can forget Dash Riprock, a character on both the Flintstones and the Beverly Hillbillies.

by Anonymousreply 69November 20, 2020 11:13 PM

I Dream Of Jeannie in 2020 - A white blonde woman as a genie? This is whitewashing! LITERAL VIOLENCE! Jeannie should be a woman of color!

by Anonymousreply 70November 20, 2020 11:14 PM

[quote]Why would two beautiful (by cartoon standards) and intelligent women like Wilma and Betty be married to ugly fat and stupid slobs like Fred and Barney.

How is this... misogyny? Pop culture depicts the average woman as much a much higher being than the average man because... it hates women? Why is it so hard to acknowledge misandry when it happens in pop culture?

The Flintstones is one of a series of cultural products that since the 90s have taught women a sense of superiority over men that they haven't really earned, but that they don't question, giving rise to much of the high-pitched and uppity feminism that is everywhere on Tumblr and Twitter and on the pages of middlebrow publications such as NYT and The Guardian.

by Anonymousreply 71November 20, 2020 11:24 PM

R71 It works both ways. Ugly mediocre guy still gets to bang a hot chick who despite nagging him will love and tolerate him

by Anonymousreply 72November 20, 2020 11:30 PM

R71 I can refute some points.

Roseanne, King of the Hill and Bob's Burgers all actually portray the husband/father as being the most sensible and the wife/mother as being more irresponsible.

Malcolm in the Middle deconstructed the whole family sitcom by having everyone being equally crazy and stupid in their own way but also brilliant in their own way too. It's predecessor Married...with Children did too as did it's rip-off Unhappily Ever After. MWC regularly mocked the radical feminist movement with Marcy.

Seinfeld's only female character Elaine was just as dense as the rest of the male cast. Same as Sweet Dee in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 73November 20, 2020 11:39 PM

R70

Yeah, if only we could go back to the 1950's where we didn't need to hear people of color complaining about inclusion and diversity in media representations!

Amirite, bruh? What can we do about this? ... Hmm... hmm... this is a head-scratcher... hmm...

Oh, wait! I l thought of something! It involves white hoods, burning crosses, pitchforks, and a public reading of Ayn Rand and Mein Kampf?

Are you in for this Thursday or will you be busy washing your hair and laying 'smack downs' in the youtube comment sections of video-game videos when women dare to have opinions? Because that's a worthwhile activity too and I don't want to get in the way of that.

by Anonymousreply 74November 20, 2020 11:47 PM

You're an angry bitter imbecile r74

by Anonymousreply 75November 20, 2020 11:48 PM

R75 Are you hitting on me?

O_o

Because it kind of sounds like you're hitting on me, right now.

by Anonymousreply 76November 20, 2020 11:49 PM

I loved the Laff-a-Lympics (late '70s Saturday morning cartoon). I still have the comic books.

by Anonymousreply 77November 20, 2020 11:52 PM

I like the episode where they go formal...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 20, 2020 11:55 PM

I don't fuck retards r76. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2020 12:02 AM

I love the impossible virginity of those 60s shows. Major Tony Nelson wouldn’t have sex with Jeannie & totally freaked out if she came too close to him. The girls on Gilligan’s island never asked the professor for “private tutoring” & Gilligan ran away when one of the girls tried to kiss him (but they were only doing it to get information out of him). Darrin on Bewitched & other husbands were completely shocked & wow’d when their wives were “expectant,” as if they had no idea how that happened, and never thought of such a thing. Me? Become a father? How did I get so lucky?!

Husbands & wives like the Petries slept in separate beds and sexual innuendos were verboten if there was any chance a child - or a moderately intelligent adult - could understand them.

Women were terrible drivers, always crashing the car or driving it through the garage door. Girls who wore glasses were ugly. Nobody was even suspected of being homosexual until Archie Bunker came along. Some men were “confirmed bachelors.” But no women were confirmed spinsters. They all wanted a man. Jody Foster was a tomboy....but she had a crush on Danny Partridge.

The 1970s were different. Mr & Mrs Brady were in the same bed. (But they were wearing pajamas & reading their books....now we know why).

by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2020 12:03 AM

Carol was getting if from Alice when Mike and the kids were at work/school during the day.

by Anonymousreply 81November 21, 2020 12:05 AM

Gary Cole was the best Mike Brady.

by Anonymousreply 82November 21, 2020 12:07 AM

[Quote] Yeah, if only we could go back to the 1950's where we didn't need to hear people of color complaining about inclusion and diversity in media representations!

People were complaining even earlier than that. Society just chose not to listen to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 21, 2020 12:12 AM

Gee....a perfectly good Flintstones thread...

by Anonymousreply 84November 21, 2020 12:18 AM

Amos & Andy was my dad’s favorite tv show. He was so pissed when they cancelled it. The tv network cancelled it because it was racist, but my father believes that was just an excuse to get black people off tv & to keep them from being tv stars. My father was never racist in his entire life, which is strange because he was married to my mother whose family was obsessively racist.

by Anonymousreply 85November 21, 2020 12:18 AM

I never liked Walt Disney cartoons. I liked the shows about kids with Kurt Russell & the Corcoran kids. I remember when my sister & I saw the coming attractions for Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. It looked so cool & scary, we were so excited to see it the following week, but it was really some boring historical show about some guy who wore a mask & fought for economic justice.

Now Darby O’Gill.....that was real television.

by Anonymousreply 86November 21, 2020 12:23 AM

Ed Sullivan was a huge cultural touchstone which gets blank stares from young people today.

by Anonymousreply 87November 21, 2020 12:26 AM

I just bought the complete series on Blu-ray.

I still can’t believe they did make a live action version of The Jetsons.

by Anonymousreply 88November 21, 2020 12:26 AM

Wow, Giselle at R47 with the triple process! What a hair hopper!

by Anonymousreply 89November 21, 2020 12:27 AM

[quote] How is this... misogyny? Pop culture depicts the average woman as much a much higher being than the average man because... it hates women? Why is it so hard to acknowledge misandry when it happens in pop culture?

Men generally do stupid things. It’s called testosterone. It’s reality.

by Anonymousreply 90November 21, 2020 12:28 AM

[quote] The misogyny for one. Why would two beautiful (by cartoon standards) and intelligent women like Wilma and Betty be married to ugly fat and stupid slobs like Fred and Barney.

Their big cocks.

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2020 12:28 AM

They were swingers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2020 12:30 AM

FF R92 Barf.

by Anonymousreply 93November 21, 2020 12:31 AM

The series was just released on Blu-Ray.

by Anonymousreply 94November 21, 2020 12:31 AM

[quote]Men generally do stupid things. It’s called testosterone. It’s reality.

And women generally think stupid thoughts. Women have much more shallow cultural interests and conversation subjects than men do. It's called smaller brains. It's reality, too. Yet, unlike the male tendency to be impulsive, it's not acknowledged often on TV.

by Anonymousreply 95November 21, 2020 12:32 AM

lol r92! That must be the "lost" episode.

by Anonymousreply 96November 21, 2020 12:36 AM

I think the other big deal about The Flintstones was that it was the first cartoon that started out in prime time on network tv, then went into eternal reruns. I think it ewas the Jetsons that had only one season that has been repeated forever. Hanna Barbera has heaps of cartoons. I liked Quickdraw McGraw cause of the dog who floated in the air when he got a snack and for lil' Babalooie. I preferred Looney Toons and The Bullwinkle cartoons that included Underdog and all that. I watched Bullwinkle the other day and it's still very good and so many puns.

by Anonymousreply 97November 21, 2020 12:37 AM

Have you ever seen the first season opening for Dobie Gillis? It’s creepy. Cartoon porn isn’t new.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 21, 2020 12:38 AM

Candid Camera - another extinct touchstone.

by Anonymousreply 99November 21, 2020 12:43 AM

This episode is about to begin:

SEASON 3 • EPISODE 11 • LADIES' DAY • ANIMATED / CARTOON

Fred disguises himself in women's clothing to get into a baseball game, but his masquerade has an amorous effect on one of Mr. Slate's clients, who takes a liking to "Fredericka."

by Anonymousreply 100November 21, 2020 12:58 AM

Tennessee Tuxedo (and Chumley, the walrus). I still love it.

by Anonymousreply 101November 21, 2020 12:59 AM

R74

Well, let me tell you one thing about Richard E. Nixon. He knows how to keep his wife, Pat, home. Roosevelt could never do that with Eleanor. She was always out on the loose. Running around with the coloreds. Tellin' 'em they was gettin' the short end of the stick. She was the one who discovered the coloreds in this country; we never knew they was there!

by Anonymousreply 102November 21, 2020 1:02 AM

[quote]But no women were confirmed spinsters. They all wanted a man.

Like in real life.

by Anonymousreply 103November 21, 2020 1:11 AM

R102

I'm not sure what you're on about, but let me tell you, I blame the Puerto Ricans.

And the feminists.

But especially the feminist Puerto Ricans.

R79

Well, I'm going to light a candle on my windowsill every night in the hopes that you'll change your mind. It's my dearest dream that I'll get to whisper sweet nothings about reverse racism and socialist welfare queens into your sexy ivory ears.

by Anonymousreply 104November 21, 2020 1:18 AM

Yep...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 21, 2020 1:22 AM

[Quote] I think it was the Jetsons that had only one season that has been repeated forever.

The Jetsons had three seasons.

by Anonymousreply 106November 21, 2020 1:29 AM

r104 can't recognize satire when his idiotic eyes see it.

by Anonymousreply 107November 21, 2020 1:55 AM

Ooze is aptly named.

by Anonymousreply 108November 21, 2020 1:56 AM

[quote] But no women were confirmed spinsters. They all wanted a man.

You've obviously never heard of a Boston marriage.

by Anonymousreply 109November 21, 2020 2:07 AM

[quote] You've obviously never heard of a Boston marriage.

On 1960s sitcoms?

No.

by Anonymousreply 110November 21, 2020 2:12 AM

The Golden Girls, r110. Those old dykes were engaged in polygamy.

by Anonymousreply 111November 21, 2020 2:17 AM

The Golden Girls was NOT a 1960s sitcom.

The sentence R109 quoted from was a post that talked about 1960s sitcoms..

by Anonymousreply 112November 21, 2020 2:39 AM

Maybe the "gay old time" lyric has something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 113November 21, 2020 2:40 AM

I have always loved The Flintstones and I still do, it's fucking hilarious.

The main reason I think it was so popular is the goofy-yet-pointed social commentary as well as that all the main characters (and minor characters) are quite likable.

by Anonymousreply 114November 21, 2020 2:49 AM

[quote] The main reason I think it was so popular is the goofy-yet-pointed social commentary as well as that all the main characters (and minor characters) are quite likable.

Plus the storylines and dialog directly ripped off from The Honeymooners.

by Anonymousreply 115November 21, 2020 2:54 AM

Was The Brady Bunch one of the first sitcoms where they tried to show a non-chaste marriage. It seemed clear Mike and Carol were getting it on. They shared a bed, both were young and attractive and affectionate with each other and they fact they were both widowed (or divorced, never was clear). I also liked they were intellectual equals and had conversations. A healthy marriage. The Addams Family also was like that and pretty racy with Gomez kissing Morticia all over

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116November 21, 2020 2:58 AM

Hanna-Barbera was the McDonalds of animation. They recycled the premises, plots, backgrounds and character designs of all their shows. They were quantity over quality. Look at all the Flintstones spin-offs they made. It's not as bad as Scooby-Doo though, they milked that to the bone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117November 21, 2020 3:03 AM

I loved 'Cow and Chicken' and 'I Am Weasel'.

by Anonymousreply 118November 21, 2020 3:07 AM

[quote]Plus the storylines and dialog directly ripped off from The Honeymooners.

Oddly enough, I cannot stand The Honeymooners. It's depressing as shit and I kind of hate them all.

by Anonymousreply 119November 21, 2020 3:07 AM

[quote]Hanna-Barbera was the McDonalds of animation.

And I don't care. I still prefer the Hanna-Barbera classic cartoons and the original Looney Tunes and Tex Avery cartoons to any shit that has been developed in the last 30 so so years. There is something comforting about watching a group of teens solve a mystery or save the world or Fred and Barny dressing in drag or the original Superfriends Hour. Luckily I have all of those shows on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 120November 21, 2020 3:16 AM

The Great Gazoo. Hmmm. Explain that, please!

by Anonymousreply 121November 21, 2020 4:20 AM

BUG Music!

by Anonymousreply 122November 21, 2020 4:39 AM

The Great Gazoo was voiced by none other than DL fav Harvey Korman....

Always thought Great Gazoo was a rip off of "My Favorite Martian" inserted in Flintstones to jazz things up a bit. They had already done everything else, including introducing children, so what was left?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 21, 2020 5:22 AM

Anyone who thinks the Flintstones was in least bit misogynistic wants to have his head examined.

Just as with countless other sitcoms, films, etc... of the time (and before or after) despite all the blustering and whatever of Fred and even Barney it was clear who ran things; Wilma and Betty.....

Both Fred and Barney (just like every other married man in Bedrock) knew just how far they could push their wives. In turn the wives despite appearances to contrary nearly always got what they wanted in the end. Yes, the show was a direct ripoff of the Honeymooners because Wilma (Alice) time and time again would have to save her husband's hash when he did something totally stupid. Like the time Wilma goes to see Fred's boss to intercept a letter Fred wrote telling him where to go and how to get there. Not only does she make up a totally new narrative, but "accidentally on purpose" drops the stone tablet so to destroy evidence.

Wilma sometimes reminded me of Mrs. Clarence Day from LIfe with Father. On surface she appears sweet, nice and ever submissive to her husband; but in reality she had Clarence Day, Sr. wrapped around her little finger. He may scare Wall Street, maids, and young girls, but "Vinnie" wasn't moved.

by Anonymousreply 124November 21, 2020 5:30 AM

There was an old RV park near the Grand Canyon that was done up with Flintstones style dinosaurs, figures of the characters and replicas of their homes. Glad I got to visit before it closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 21, 2020 11:57 AM

Speaking of RVs and misogyny, in one episode Fred and Barney had Wilma and Betty haul their ass around in a granite box by foot, while the men sat in the back drinking cola. ,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126November 21, 2020 12:29 PM

[quote]There was an old RV park near the Grand Canyon that was done up with Flintstones style dinosaurs, figures of the characters and replicas of their homes. Glad I got to visit before it closed.

Yes, you're a lucky guy, R125. Did you get to go on the slide?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 21, 2020 12:41 PM

[quote]Was The Brady Bunch one of the first sitcoms where they tried to show a non-chaste marriage.

While the criticisms of Bewitched (as much as I like the older episodes) have merit, they did show them having a non-chaste marriage, especially the early years when they would stress they were a young newlywed couple. There were a few times when they headed upstairs and it was clear as to why, and they did share a bed.

I posted this recently on a Bewitched thread. I just watched season 1, and while it is definitely dated with the obey your husband, Darrin is much less uptight, much more charming, and doesn't have as many fits when Samantha does something he does not like. The characters also seem like they are truly in love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128November 21, 2020 1:48 PM

Shameful lack of diversity. Cro-magnons and Neanderthals were either ignored, unrepresented or presented as dumb cartoon characters.

by Anonymousreply 129November 21, 2020 2:13 PM

Went to Bedrock City a couple years back. What a dump! Sat down to eat in the "cafe" then thought better of it. I think the waitress was a meth head.

by Anonymousreply 130November 21, 2020 2:17 PM

The Car Hop Song...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 21, 2020 3:53 PM

R131 Do you also happen to have the recipe for Upside down Flint Rubble Bubble Cake?

by Anonymousreply 132November 21, 2020 4:14 PM

Quick, why did the wholesale food purveyor tell Fred he needed to buy parsley?

by Anonymousreply 133November 21, 2020 10:04 PM

It's cringe more than chuckle for the first few seasons before totally wearing out it's welcome by Hoppy Have loved Gazoo to bits since childhood, have even contemplated going as Fred going as Hi-Fi for Halloween a couple of times.

As for the lad who shat on the Pebs/Bams earworm a few up,, could you just open up your fucking heart and let the motherfucking sunshine in? Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 134November 21, 2020 10:33 PM

R132

Or seaweed fricassee?

by Anonymousreply 135November 21, 2020 10:49 PM

Willlllllllllllllllllllllma!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 136November 21, 2020 11:17 PM

I did go down the slide. It was a fun, kitschy dump. I wouldn’t have eaten there either R30. Smart choice.

by Anonymousreply 137November 22, 2020 1:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!