Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ryan Phillippe - My Religious Parents Not Happy Me Playing Gay

Ryan Phillippe explained how they had not been on good terms before when he played the role of gay teen Billy Douglas on “One Life to Live”.

Phillippe shared, “I had grown up going to, like, Baptist school and Christian school. When I was a senior in high school, I played the first gay character on a soap opera — first gay teenager ever — and so I was shunned at that point. I mean, this was 1992, and I was playing a gay teenager and I was in a Christian school. They weren’t happy about it.”

Ryan Phillippe didn’t think his parents would be fans of “Cruel Intentions”.

Phillippe played Sebastian Valmont in the 1999 flick, with him saying during an interview on the Barstool Sports “KFC Radio” podcast this week: “I thought my parents were going to disown me,” due to them being super-religious.

However, he insisted he doesn’t regret playing the part in “Cruel Intentions”.

“I’ve still never played a character like that since,” he said. “I want to get back to playing a character like Sebastian in ‘Cruel Intentions’. It was just so fun to be so flippant and sort of like, you know, the emotions are theatrical.”

by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2020 1:13 AM

I saw him and his wife Catherine Oxenberg on TBN......I'm not sure if it was with the late Jan Crouch or her son & his wife (who still run the network)......it was painful.....

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2020 9:58 PM

Do we really still care about him after all the allegations and after his SA influencer trip (and how he behaved after) last year? 🤔

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2020 9:59 PM

Oh yawn.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2020 10:15 PM

But if Phillippe had played a murder, thief or a rapist, his parents would be so proud and tell all their friends to watch.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2020 10:16 PM

He's OLD.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2020 10:20 PM

How do you pronounce his surname? I have never heard it spoken.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2020 10:31 PM

PHIL a pee

Never understood why they didn’t pronounce it correctly, but since they’re whackjobs guess that explains it

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2020 10:51 PM

Well, that's just stoopit .. thanks for educating me.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2020 10:53 PM

[quote] PHIL a pee Never understood why they didn’t pronounce it correctly, but since they’re whackjobs guess that explains it

He said the pronunciation was screwed up by his ancestors who lived in Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 2:41 AM

[quote] He said the pronunciation was screwed up by his ancestors who lived in Kentucky.

Well, now. That explains everything I need to know about Ryan Phillippe.

He comes from Hillbilly trash stock. It all makes sense.

And I will NEVER say Phil-ip-pee. It's Feel-eep. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 2:45 AM

I was 16 when Ryan played gay on One Life To Live and it meant a lot. It was groundbreaking to have a gay teen on tv. We take things like that for granted today, but there was NOTHING like it back in the early 90s. I also thought he was the most gorgeous thing I'd ever seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 2:53 AM

[quote]And I will NEVER say Phil-ip-pee. It's Feel-eep. End of story.

He's not French, he's American. Fill A Pee makes sense in American English.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 3:04 AM

Agree with R11. Kudos to Ryan and the production team of "One Life To Live" for making an impact.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 3:28 AM

[quote] And I will NEVER say Phil-ip-pee. It's Feel-eep. End of story.

Oh come on, if the Koch brothers can pronounce their name the way they do, Ryan can also.

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 11:46 PM

Why would he pronounce his surname the French way when he's American and has no connection to France?

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2020 11:47 PM

[quote] Ryan can also.

He pronounces “Phillippe” like “Coke”?

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2020 11:48 PM

Ryan's a hot mess but he seems like such a good person. I don't really believe those abuse allegations either. Obviously I don't know him personally but I think we tend to jump to believing the victim when it comes to male celebrities. We still need evidence to clear all reasonable doubt.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2020 9:35 PM

He abused a few girlfriends but also got pegged in a bi threeway so I still love the guy. He might have also been giving it up to those Middle East millionaires during that music festival with Armie Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2020 9:45 PM

R18 “Pegged” as in called out, or getting it up the bum? And was it MMF or MFF?

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2020 9:59 PM

Whose parents are more fundie, Ryan’s or Armie’s!

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2020 10:00 PM

I recorded his storyline daily on my VCR during 1992-93 while I went to work everyday. Even though I was in my late 20s I was starved for television that showcased a gay character. I’d only come out about 5 years earlier. It was groundbreaking television earning many well deserved awards. Philippe was really good in his role despite being a newcomer. You had to realize this was during the height of AIDS panic. You’d open the newspaper or turn on the tv and hear about another closeted actor who had died like Robert Reed or David Oliver.

I kept these tapes for many years, but will never forget my VCR malfunctioning at the height of the coming out/AIDS memorial storyline. I had to take the machine in to be fixed so I missed a couple of episodes. Thank God for Youtube.

Apologies for the crappy video, but these scenes were a highlight. Love the melodramatic music and pay phone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2020 10:24 PM

Ryan also played a bicurious teen in 54. He kisses Breckin Meyer. The kiss was cut out of the theatrical version and Ryan was pissed about it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2020 10:31 PM

R21 He was actually really good, considering his age and the fact that it's a soap. I had never seen footage of that before. I didn't know about him until IKWYDLS, and my god what a crush I had. Those lips! That face! It was like a sexual awakening seeing him on screen for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2020 10:55 PM

I saw him come out of a private bathroom at Rodi's with Reverand Carpenter.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2020 10:59 PM

Marty, shut your whore mouth!

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2020 11:01 PM

He grew up in Delaware which is pretty conservative state even more so back then. It would make sense his parents would have been uncomfortable with his decision not only due to their own homophobia but fear of backlash in their town but it appears they still let him do it and it paid off for his career.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2020 11:10 PM

r19 this is r18. MMF. Pegging as in getting your ass fucked.

by Anonymousreply 27November 25, 2020 1:08 AM

What's this about getting it up the ass in a bi threeway?

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2020 1:08 AM

I don't remember the exact story r28 but a DLer was one person removed from a source that took Ryan home with he and his wife, after the Reece years, and got it on with Ryan. He did fuck him. Get high, bring a woman, and have sex. Not that uncommon in Haollywood. Ryan allegedly bottomed for the husband and had no issue fucking the wife so maybe he's bi.

That was a DL piece of gossip from a Hollywood thread. Take it or leave it, but I can see it.

by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2020 1:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!