Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do gay men hate Lady Gaga so much?

She has become a brillianté artist in her own right. Chromatica really is a quality album and I hope she at least gets an AOTY nomination at the 2021 Grammys.

It seems to me most gays hate Gaga. Perhaps this is because she has actual talent and artistry, unlike some of the girls gay guys tend to get behind (Britney, Billie Eilish). Gays tend to like basic, untalented female music artists because they aren't a threat to them in some way. If they make basic music, like those two, even better.

Gaga is the little bitch who aimed for higher concepts and became a "try hard" according to some gay fans. Perhaps the real question is, what do gays have against ambition?

NEWS: Gaga will be starring in "Bullet Train", opposite Brad Pitt, some time in 2047.

Offsite Link
by Elireply 6614 hours ago

Get real, nut!

by Elireply 1Last Thursday at 12:39 PM

I love Gaga.

by Elireply 2Last Thursday at 12:40 PM

Her schtick is so tiresome.

by Elireply 3Last Thursday at 12:46 PM

Gay people love her. She is good. Few celebrities that are vocal about gay right so early on

by Elireply 4Last Thursday at 12:51 PM

She has a good voice, but her music is crap.

by Elireply 5Last Thursday at 12:52 PM

[quote] the girls gay guys tend to get behind (Britney, Billie Eilish).

Uh, have you seen the threads about either of those two lately on here? Effusive praise is not the first thing I notice in them.

by Elireply 6Last Thursday at 12:52 PM

[quote]brillianté

Ô, chérie !

by Elireply 7Last Thursday at 1:10 PM

One word. Sam Smith.

by Elireply 8Last Thursday at 3:21 PM

Because she sucks. Theater geek who takes herself too seriously.

by Elireply 9Last Thursday at 3:27 PM

Not a shred of authenticity in her very very tired schtick.

by Elireply 10Last Thursday at 3:47 PM

Gaga's great. Saw her live a few years (friend had an extra ticket). I wasn't a fan before, but am now. She was so damn good live.

She's pretty much as big as ever now isn't she?

by Elireply 11Last Thursday at 4:17 PM

She doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humor and takes herself a little too seriously for my taste. Clearly very talented, though.

by Elireply 12Last Thursday at 4:21 PM

I like her very much.

by Elireply 13Last Thursday at 4:30 PM

People don’t hate her because of her talents. They hate her because she a fucking deeply hypocritical phony,

by Elireply 14Last Thursday at 4:36 PM

She’s a terrific songwriter and singer.

by Elireply 15Last Thursday at 4:37 PM

I thought gay men hated Madonna

I love Gaga

by Elireply 16Last Thursday at 4:44 PM

Not all gay men, probably many geriatric gay men who hate Lady Gaga. I like her work and stuff but I have never listened to her talking.

by Elireply 17Last Thursday at 4:51 PM

Because she's reductive.

by Elireply 18Last Thursday at 5:10 PM

She reminds me of one of the original club kids sometimes, i.e. Jenny Talia, J St. J or Jem.

Chromatica has a very cheap, tacky and overly manufactured feel to it. Lady G can get a bit too desperate at times, for my personal liking. Sometimes her music feels forced and inauthentic.

Wasn't she playing small dive bars and getting sponsored by Miller Lite back in 2016?

Now she's back on that futuristic avant-garde aesthetic bandwagon again and it's not as appealing as her first few times at the rodeo.

She wears thin. But I wouldn't say gay men hate her, not in the slightest. I personally believe her gay allying is a bit overstated to the point of seeming phony and trend-conscious, as well.

by Elireply 19Last Thursday at 5:17 PM

She’s NOT authentic and that’s that

by Elireply 20Last Thursday at 5:31 PM

I thought Lady Gaga was very popular with gay men .Certainly at least in the UK she seems liked by most gay men in my experience.

by Elireply 21Last Thursday at 5:36 PM

The younger gaylings think she's cool, even if they listen to different music.

by Elireply 22Last Thursday at 5:41 PM

I really love "Perfect Illusion."

by Elireply 23Last Thursday at 5:42 PM

Here to help, OP! I'm a gay guy and, well, the reason I hate Lady Gaga is because...well, I don't actually hate her. I like her and think she is very talented. Maybe you should speak to my counterpart in Bizarro World. He's probably not far from where you live.

by Elireply 24Last Thursday at 5:43 PM

I started watching A Star is Born. Good but I stalled. Should I finish it? I should Gaga was tremendous.

by Elireply 25Last Thursday at 6:46 PM

"Now she's back on that futuristic avant-garde aesthetic bandwagon again and it's not as appealing as her first few times at the rodeo."

R19, in Gaga's defense, she brought that to the aesthetic to the mainstream a decade or so ago. She changed the direction of pop music (unlike say, Katy Perry or Taylor Swift even though both were "bigger" than Gaga). I think she can bring it back if she wants.

That said, Chromatica didn't do much for me. I liked it, but much preferred A Star Is Born songs.

by Elireply 26Last Thursday at 8:34 PM

R14, how is she a fucking "deeply hypocritical phony?

by Elireply 27Last Friday at 2:59 AM

R15, isn't she a supremely talented singer and songwriter? Truly, her talent excites me and gives me that push I need. No other artist has inspired me as much as Lady Gaga

by Elireply 28Last Friday at 3:00 AM

R17, it could be that. To not listen to a singer speak and move as a normal person, you really don't get to know them fully. I suggest all homos and non-homos who hate Gaga to watch a few interviews with her, she's incredibly genuine and sweet, no more than ever. That woman has been through some real fucking shit.

by Elireply 29Last Friday at 3:02 AM

R26, the visuals are extremely detailed and the aesthetic is that way for a reason –– it's a reference to cyber punk iconography and moves like Mad Max (Stupid Love music video), Blade Runner (Rain on Me music video) and an Armenian film, The Color of Pomegranates (911 music film).

I would describe Chromatica as an "infinitely detailed soundscape and mindscape."

by Elireply 30Last Friday at 3:08 AM

[quote]That woman has been through some real fucking shit.

No, she hasn't. More fabulist than fabulous.

by Elireply 31Last Friday at 3:32 AM

Gays don't like her because she's ordinarily ugly. They like their divas fabulously ugly, like Streisand and Madonna.

by Elireply 32Last Friday at 3:40 AM

R14 Exactly. In the case of this gay man, Gaga makes me gag gag.

by Elireply 33Last Friday at 3:43 AM

Gaga and R Kelly video, what does that say?

by Elireply 34Last Friday at 3:43 AM

Changed the direction of music? Are you on drugs? Everything about her you think is "original" is copied from far more talented, trailblazing artists.

by Elireply 35Last Friday at 3:51 AM

Because she’s had some fine ass dick up her WAP. Jealousy is a terrible thing.

by Elireply 36Last Friday at 3:52 AM

R31, yes, she did. She may have grown up comfortable middle class, but she had to struggle in New York on her own to make it in music. Played shitty dive bars for a long time, even had to strip and do gogo dancing to pay the rent. Finally, her father paid a year's rent for her and gave her a year to make something of it, and she did. She gave her father millions when she made it.

She was also drugged and raped repeatedly at 19 years old by a music producer named Rob Fusari, which resulted in her having a psychotic and nervous breakdown. She is now much better on psychiatric medications, but she's had many a struggle with mental health. Her former manager Troy Carter worked her so hard doing tours she broke a hip, and then when she was no longer a cash pig, he dumped her ass.

Like I said, she's been through some shit. That's what we do know.

by Elireply 37Last Friday at 8:16 AM

We've already discussed it elsewhere, but her new commercial for Valentino's Viva Voce is one of the worst things ever.

by Elireply 38Last Friday at 9:30 AM

Did she have to wear a bag over her head when she supposedly stripped?

by Elireply 39Last Friday at 9:33 AM

The thread question should instead be:

Why do certain gay men think there is a monolith in which all "Gay Men" think and act the same way, down to even getting the same haircut or having the same tastes in performers?

by Elireply 40Last Friday at 9:41 AM

Uh, we don’t. You mean DLers who are fat and on their deathbeds.

by Elireply 41Last Friday at 9:42 AM

OP - I don't think gays like Billie Eyelash as much as you think. In fact, they generally hate her "Garbage Pail Kid" aesthetic.

by Elireply 42Last Friday at 9:52 AM

r37 You are spot on. Lady is one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she has a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood or Music world. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Elireply 43Last Friday at 11:02 AM

Now I feel bad for hating her r37. That sounds terrible.

Can’t help it though. She’s too geeky. She thinks she’s David Bowie, in reality, she’s Lea Michele.

by Elireply 44Last Friday at 11:41 AM

I love her! The halftime show at the Super Bowl a few years ago was amazing!! Would love to see her in concert after 'Rona is under control.

by Elireply 45Last Friday at 12:06 PM

Fake overated bitch. Name one thing about her that is genuine ?

by Elireply 46Last Friday at 12:07 PM

I have to say, although some consider her a modern luminary; I don't think she's there yet.

The David Bowie and Lea Michele analogy above is right on the money. Damn.

by Elireply 47Last Friday at 3:13 PM

R17 r29 she sounds like she's either drunk and/or stoned in all of her interviews.

by Elireply 48Last Sunday at 2:08 PM

That Star Is Born song was god awful.

"Shallowy shallow...ShAAHHAAHHAAAHHHHlow."

Then at one point when she is moaning it sounds like she is dying.

by Elireply 49Last Sunday at 5:10 PM

You're definitely in the minority, R49.

by Elireply 50Last Sunday at 5:58 PM

She is ugly, fake and tacky. She has no taste and her music fucking sucks why would any self respecting gay man not hate her?

by Elireply 51Last Sunday at 6:52 PM

We don't hate her, we just don't care.

by Elireply 52Last Sunday at 9:01 PM

Chromatica is a series of pop genre exercises and knock-offs. *yawn* Get real.

by Elireply 53Last Sunday at 9:07 PM

Because they can.

by Elireply 54Last Sunday at 10:28 PM

See, this is what I'm talking about. All these queens in this thread who hate Gaga can secretly admit she is talented. So why the rabid hate, I don't get it? I haven't seen this rabid hate for other singers except maybe Taylor Swift.

by Elireply 5520 hours ago

She is talented. Though not as talented as she and her stans think. But being talented doesn't preclude her from being fake, unoriginal, and annoying.

by Elireply 5619 hours ago

[quote]I haven't seen this rabid hate for other singers except maybe Taylor Swift.

Really now

by Elireply 5719 hours ago

The song Shallow makes me want to pull my ears off.

by Elireply 5819 hours ago

I saw her in Montreal at the Bell Centre in 2010. When she sang 'Alejandro' I looked around and everyone was up and dancing, rows and rows of people, up to the ceiling, it was a great moment.

by Elireply 5919 hours ago

R43, that's such an old cliche for famous fag hags.

by Elireply 6015 hours ago

I couldn’t fucking stand the way she imposed herself as the kween and saviour of the gays, with all this “mother monster” rubbish. I mean, she probably likes the gays, but it felt a blatant and cynical attempt to monetise it. “Born This Way” was meant to be the queen of all gay anthems when in fact it was just a patronising, shit song and blatant rip off of “Express Yourself”.

by Elireply 6115 hours ago

That's exactly how I felt, r61

by Elireply 6214 hours ago

How can you tell she's not authentic?

Which artists do you all consider authentic, and how did you determine said authenticity?

Not a Gaga fan or hater, just interested in the "authenticity" discussion.

by Elireply 6314 hours ago

Other artists love her. She's one of the most successful artists of the last decade or so. She's worth hundreds of millions of dollars. I believe she's starring in a new Brad Pitt movie.

I'm sure she's pissed DL eldergays aren't that into her.

by Elireply 6414 hours ago

I enjoy her music. I think she's artistic and intelligent, compassionate and talented.

by Elireply 6514 hours ago

Because she copied Madonna.

by Elireply 6614 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!