Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do gay men hate Lady Gaga so much?

She has become a brillianté artist in her own right. Chromatica really is a quality album and I hope she at least gets an AOTY nomination at the 2021 Grammys.

It seems to me most gays hate Gaga. Perhaps this is because she has actual talent and artistry, unlike some of the girls gay guys tend to get behind (Britney, Billie Eilish). Gays tend to like basic, untalented female music artists because they aren't a threat to them in some way. If they make basic music, like those two, even better.

Gaga is the little bitch who aimed for higher concepts and became a "try hard" according to some gay fans. Perhaps the real question is, what do gays have against ambition?

NEWS: Gaga will be starring in "Bullet Train", opposite Brad Pitt, some time in 2047.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 23, 2022 3:50 PM

Get real, nut!

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2020 9:39 PM

I love Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2020 9:40 PM

Her schtick is so tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2020 9:46 PM

Gay people love her. She is good. Few celebrities that are vocal about gay right so early on

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2020 9:51 PM

She has a good voice, but her music is crap.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2020 9:52 PM

[quote] the girls gay guys tend to get behind (Britney, Billie Eilish).

Uh, have you seen the threads about either of those two lately on here? Effusive praise is not the first thing I notice in them.

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2020 9:52 PM

[quote]brillianté

Ô, chérie !

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2020 10:10 PM

One word. Sam Smith.

by Anonymousreply 8November 20, 2020 12:21 AM

Because she sucks. Theater geek who takes herself too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 9November 20, 2020 12:27 AM

Not a shred of authenticity in her very very tired schtick.

by Anonymousreply 10November 20, 2020 12:47 AM

Gaga's great. Saw her live a few years (friend had an extra ticket). I wasn't a fan before, but am now. She was so damn good live.

She's pretty much as big as ever now isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 11November 20, 2020 1:17 AM

She doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humor and takes herself a little too seriously for my taste. Clearly very talented, though.

by Anonymousreply 12November 20, 2020 1:21 AM

I like her very much.

by Anonymousreply 13November 20, 2020 1:30 AM

People don’t hate her because of her talents. They hate her because she a fucking deeply hypocritical phony,

by Anonymousreply 14November 20, 2020 1:36 AM

She’s a terrific songwriter and singer.

by Anonymousreply 15November 20, 2020 1:37 AM

I thought gay men hated Madonna

I love Gaga

by Anonymousreply 16November 20, 2020 1:44 AM

Not all gay men, probably many geriatric gay men who hate Lady Gaga. I like her work and stuff but I have never listened to her talking.

by Anonymousreply 17November 20, 2020 1:51 AM

Because she's reductive.

by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2020 2:10 AM

She reminds me of one of the original club kids sometimes, i.e. Jenny Talia, J St. J or Jem.

Chromatica has a very cheap, tacky and overly manufactured feel to it. Lady G can get a bit too desperate at times, for my personal liking. Sometimes her music feels forced and inauthentic.

Wasn't she playing small dive bars and getting sponsored by Miller Lite back in 2016?

Now she's back on that futuristic avant-garde aesthetic bandwagon again and it's not as appealing as her first few times at the rodeo.

She wears thin. But I wouldn't say gay men hate her, not in the slightest. I personally believe her gay allying is a bit overstated to the point of seeming phony and trend-conscious, as well.

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2020 2:17 AM

She’s NOT authentic and that’s that

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2020 2:31 AM

I thought Lady Gaga was very popular with gay men .Certainly at least in the UK she seems liked by most gay men in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2020 2:36 AM

The younger gaylings think she's cool, even if they listen to different music.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2020 2:41 AM

I really love "Perfect Illusion."

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2020 2:42 AM

Here to help, OP! I'm a gay guy and, well, the reason I hate Lady Gaga is because...well, I don't actually hate her. I like her and think she is very talented. Maybe you should speak to my counterpart in Bizarro World. He's probably not far from where you live.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2020 2:43 AM

I started watching A Star is Born. Good but I stalled. Should I finish it? I should Gaga was tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2020 3:46 AM

"Now she's back on that futuristic avant-garde aesthetic bandwagon again and it's not as appealing as her first few times at the rodeo."

R19, in Gaga's defense, she brought that to the aesthetic to the mainstream a decade or so ago. She changed the direction of pop music (unlike say, Katy Perry or Taylor Swift even though both were "bigger" than Gaga). I think she can bring it back if she wants.

That said, Chromatica didn't do much for me. I liked it, but much preferred A Star Is Born songs.

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2020 5:34 AM

R14, how is she a fucking "deeply hypocritical phony?

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2020 11:59 AM

R15, isn't she a supremely talented singer and songwriter? Truly, her talent excites me and gives me that push I need. No other artist has inspired me as much as Lady Gaga

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2020 12:00 PM

R17, it could be that. To not listen to a singer speak and move as a normal person, you really don't get to know them fully. I suggest all homos and non-homos who hate Gaga to watch a few interviews with her, she's incredibly genuine and sweet, no more than ever. That woman has been through some real fucking shit.

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2020 12:02 PM

R26, the visuals are extremely detailed and the aesthetic is that way for a reason –– it's a reference to cyber punk iconography and moves like Mad Max (Stupid Love music video), Blade Runner (Rain on Me music video) and an Armenian film, The Color of Pomegranates (911 music film).

I would describe Chromatica as an "infinitely detailed soundscape and mindscape."

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2020 12:08 PM

[quote]That woman has been through some real fucking shit.

No, she hasn't. More fabulist than fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2020 12:32 PM

Gays don't like her because she's ordinarily ugly. They like their divas fabulously ugly, like Streisand and Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2020 12:40 PM

R14 Exactly. In the case of this gay man, Gaga makes me gag gag.

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2020 12:43 PM

Gaga and R Kelly video, what does that say?

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2020 12:43 PM

Changed the direction of music? Are you on drugs? Everything about her you think is "original" is copied from far more talented, trailblazing artists.

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2020 12:51 PM

Because she’s had some fine ass dick up her WAP. Jealousy is a terrible thing.

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2020 12:52 PM

R31, yes, she did. She may have grown up comfortable middle class, but she had to struggle in New York on her own to make it in music. Played shitty dive bars for a long time, even had to strip and do gogo dancing to pay the rent. Finally, her father paid a year's rent for her and gave her a year to make something of it, and she did. She gave her father millions when she made it.

She was also drugged and raped repeatedly at 19 years old by a music producer named Rob Fusari, which resulted in her having a psychotic and nervous breakdown. She is now much better on psychiatric medications, but she's had many a struggle with mental health. Her former manager Troy Carter worked her so hard doing tours she broke a hip, and then when she was no longer a cash pig, he dumped her ass.

Like I said, she's been through some shit. That's what we do know.

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2020 5:16 PM

We've already discussed it elsewhere, but her new commercial for Valentino's Viva Voce is one of the worst things ever.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2020 6:30 PM

Did she have to wear a bag over her head when she supposedly stripped?

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2020 6:33 PM

The thread question should instead be:

Why do certain gay men think there is a monolith in which all "Gay Men" think and act the same way, down to even getting the same haircut or having the same tastes in performers?

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2020 6:41 PM

Uh, we don’t. You mean DLers who are fat and on their deathbeds.

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2020 6:42 PM

OP - I don't think gays like Billie Eyelash as much as you think. In fact, they generally hate her "Garbage Pail Kid" aesthetic.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2020 6:52 PM

r37 You are spot on. Lady is one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she has a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood or Music world. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2020 8:02 PM

Now I feel bad for hating her r37. That sounds terrible.

Can’t help it though. She’s too geeky. She thinks she’s David Bowie, in reality, she’s Lea Michele.

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2020 8:41 PM

I love her! The halftime show at the Super Bowl a few years ago was amazing!! Would love to see her in concert after 'Rona is under control.

by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2020 9:06 PM

Fake overated bitch. Name one thing about her that is genuine ?

by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2020 9:07 PM

I have to say, although some consider her a modern luminary; I don't think she's there yet.

The David Bowie and Lea Michele analogy above is right on the money. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 47November 21, 2020 12:13 AM

R17 r29 she sounds like she's either drunk and/or stoned in all of her interviews.

by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2020 11:08 PM

That Star Is Born song was god awful.

"Shallowy shallow...ShAAHHAAHHAAAHHHHlow."

Then at one point when she is moaning it sounds like she is dying.

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2020 2:10 AM

You're definitely in the minority, R49.

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2020 2:58 AM

She is ugly, fake and tacky. She has no taste and her music fucking sucks why would any self respecting gay man not hate her?

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2020 3:52 AM

We don't hate her, we just don't care.

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2020 6:01 AM

Chromatica is a series of pop genre exercises and knock-offs. *yawn* Get real.

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2020 6:07 AM

Because they can.

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2020 7:28 AM

See, this is what I'm talking about. All these queens in this thread who hate Gaga can secretly admit she is talented. So why the rabid hate, I don't get it? I haven't seen this rabid hate for other singers except maybe Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2020 2:01 PM

She is talented. Though not as talented as she and her stans think. But being talented doesn't preclude her from being fake, unoriginal, and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2020 2:10 PM

[quote]I haven't seen this rabid hate for other singers except maybe Taylor Swift.

Really now

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2020 2:13 PM

The song Shallow makes me want to pull my ears off.

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2020 2:22 PM

I saw her in Montreal at the Bell Centre in 2010. When she sang 'Alejandro' I looked around and everyone was up and dancing, rows and rows of people, up to the ceiling, it was a great moment.

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2020 2:27 PM

R43, that's such an old cliche for famous fag hags.

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2020 7:04 PM

I couldn’t fucking stand the way she imposed herself as the kween and saviour of the gays, with all this “mother monster” rubbish. I mean, she probably likes the gays, but it felt a blatant and cynical attempt to monetise it. “Born This Way” was meant to be the queen of all gay anthems when in fact it was just a patronising, shit song and blatant rip off of “Express Yourself”.

by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2020 7:09 PM

That's exactly how I felt, r61

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2020 7:20 PM

How can you tell she's not authentic?

Which artists do you all consider authentic, and how did you determine said authenticity?

Not a Gaga fan or hater, just interested in the "authenticity" discussion.

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2020 7:20 PM

Other artists love her. She's one of the most successful artists of the last decade or so. She's worth hundreds of millions of dollars. I believe she's starring in a new Brad Pitt movie.

I'm sure she's pissed DL eldergays aren't that into her.

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2020 7:23 PM

I enjoy her music. I think she's artistic and intelligent, compassionate and talented.

by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2020 7:34 PM

Because she copied Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2020 8:04 PM

[quote]Which artists do you all consider authentic

Cyndi Lauper

Cher

by Anonymousreply 67November 24, 2020 12:13 AM

Thanks for the laugh, R67

by Anonymousreply 68November 24, 2020 10:56 AM

Try hard who decided to be a "gay icon". Born this way is so unoriginal is cringe. She can be talented, but she isn't original, genuine or fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 69November 24, 2020 11:19 AM

R69, Born this Way was ten years ago. And it was a decent pop song that featured a line about accepting all people that was cheesy. So what?

Gaga never tried to be a "gay icon", but to be a "mother" for all her young fans who felt alienated from mainstream society for whatever reason. I think its honorable what she did for gay and other kids who were struggling. I was 22 when she really blew up, so not a part of that age bracket, but I appreciated her work back then, and she's only gotten better and advanced over time.

by Anonymousreply 70November 24, 2020 1:07 PM

She's the Pied Piper for Satan, leading all the insecure little flowers astray.

by Anonymousreply 71November 24, 2020 1:35 PM

WTF. The only people I even hear still talk about Gaga are gay guys and young women.

by Anonymousreply 72November 24, 2020 1:54 PM

My yes. Attending the Met Ball, shilling for Tiffany and Valentino. Lady Fraud Fraud certainly is way outside the mainstream!

by Anonymousreply 73November 24, 2020 1:57 PM

I think that OP is Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 74November 24, 2020 2:30 PM

I appreciate her talent and I like a lot of her music which I think aged better than her later stuff. She was smart to return to her roots with Chromatica but it's too late now for a musical comeback because we know that early sound was not her real personality. But she is adequate in acting and doing jazz/pop covers now, so she may be like Cher and just focus on more acting.

by Anonymousreply 75November 24, 2020 3:57 PM

R66 I don't think Madonna is who she copied entirely, yeah she had a lot of some gay anthems and focused very much on theatrics early on. But I think a lot of Gaga's artistry also derives from Grace Jones, Cher, Bjork and Annie Lennox.

by Anonymousreply 76November 24, 2020 4:05 PM

I thought gays were the only ones who liked her.

by Anonymousreply 77November 24, 2020 5:59 PM

They were R77. Until A Star Is Born. Now the soccer moms adore her. Admittedly, that album had some truly great songs on it.

by Anonymousreply 78November 24, 2020 9:29 PM

I just heard Rain on Me and Stupid Love and I’m sorry, she gave me what I needed this year as far as pop music is concerned.

Gaga kinda worked this drag-Queen-with-a-budget thing for several years and it felt pandering and cynical which is why it started having increasingly diminishing returns.

by Anonymousreply 79December 28, 2020 6:46 PM

Gay men need to start worshiping and idolizing other gay men. I'm sick and tired of being expected to put these shrieking white bitches on a pedestal at our own expense.

Give me Johnny Mathis and Barry Manilow any day of the week over her.

by Anonymousreply 80December 28, 2020 6:51 PM

I’m GaGa ambivalent, but I listened to Chromatica on Spotify and it’s such an unremarkable album. Zzzz...

by Anonymousreply 81December 28, 2020 6:59 PM

She's talented but she's her own worst enemy. Takes her music too seriously and she needs someone to say no and to help her when it comes to acting and recording. I think that's why she was so good in A Star is Born and Shallow was a big hit. Both Bradley Cooper and Mark Ronson helped steer her in the right way. I

by Anonymousreply 82December 28, 2020 7:03 PM

Gay men made her career, but her pandering has gotten old.

And despite her messages of "Be yourself and love yourself," she's had so much plastic surgery, she's not even a shadow of her old self.

And her faux bisexuality is eye-rolling.

And yes, her music of late has been completely unremarkable.

by Anonymousreply 83December 28, 2020 7:04 PM

R82 I didn't think she was that great in "A Star is Born," but it was the right role for her range of talent.

by Anonymousreply 84December 28, 2020 7:06 PM

She's obviously talented, but she's not a very joyful or interesting performer. She loves Liza Minnelli so much, but Liza has this joy in all her work that Gaga doesn't have. She takes herself too seriously and that hurts her. No one likes someone without a sense of humor. It makes them a chore to watch on stage or on screen.

by Anonymousreply 85December 28, 2020 7:30 PM

"Be yourself" is a bad message no matter who sends it. Should Charles Manson have "been himself"? How about John Wayne Gacy? Or Susan Smith?

by Anonymousreply 86December 28, 2020 7:35 PM

Her music does not age well. Her hits do not pass the test of time. Her songs are cringey to hear today. And she is not actually bisexual. Classic needy female riding the coat tails of gay men's struggle.

by Anonymousreply 87December 28, 2020 7:36 PM

Very little music from the last 35 years holds up. That's about how long Vadge has been famous. Coincidence? I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 88December 28, 2020 7:38 PM

Her Botox and fillers in ASIB was distracting she looks like Nicole Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 89December 28, 2020 7:40 PM

She’s fabulous, OP. You’re whacked.

by Anonymousreply 90December 28, 2020 7:55 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 91December 28, 2020 8:02 PM

R91 This is the Gaga pandering I was talking about.

"How can I get a hit? Oh, I know! I'll rip off a Madonna song and throw in lyrics about gay, bi, lesbian, and trans! I can't lose!"

by Anonymousreply 92December 28, 2020 8:26 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 93December 28, 2020 8:32 PM

Let's not forget she also ripped off the original "Born This Way" song from the 1975 disco anthem "I Was Born This Way" sang by Valentino and written by Chris Spierer and Bunny Jones. It's a much better song that actually represents gay men and was written specifically about gay men.

Lol She's as reductive as it gets, and her Born This Way foundation turned out to be a sham.

by Anonymousreply 94December 28, 2020 8:38 PM

Lady Trump admits she went along with a fake PR romance in order to sell movie tickets and albums.

What a fucking, grifting cunt. Bearding for a gay man is not "saving lives," it's hurting gay lives.

I hate her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 28, 2020 8:47 PM

I dunno. "Love and light" Gaga kinda lost me when she called her former assistant, who was suing her for back pay, a "ghetto rat" during courtroom testimony.

by Anonymousreply 96December 28, 2020 8:48 PM

she tries too hard, just like Cher and Madonna

by Anonymousreply 97December 28, 2020 8:52 PM

Her "life saving" song is reductive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 28, 2020 8:56 PM

R80 I agree. Adam Lambert put out a great album this year and it barely hit any attention. But I had plenty if queens on my timeline tweeting about Dua Lipa and Ariana Grande, the latter’s album was boring AF.

by Anonymousreply 99December 28, 2020 9:29 PM

what kind of gay following can Billie Eilish possibly have?

by Anonymousreply 100December 28, 2020 9:35 PM

She supports ex-gay therapy via the tr*ns cult.

Cancel her, and let her go, yeah sister!

by Anonymousreply 101December 28, 2020 11:00 PM

R101.

by Anonymousreply 102December 28, 2020 11:02 PM

That shameless and awful David Bowie tribute at the Grammy's. Even his son panned it.

by Anonymousreply 103December 28, 2020 11:03 PM

I have never heard this premise, I think it is a false narrative. I like some of her songs, personally never had strong feelings either way.

by Anonymousreply 104December 29, 2020 12:15 AM

More reasons to hate her:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 29, 2020 12:51 PM

Still hate her lying, grifting self:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106December 29, 2020 12:52 PM

All that happened only on those "journalist" imagination

by Anonymousreply 107December 29, 2020 1:30 PM

Last year, Lady Trump ADMITTED she went along with the fake romance story with the tabloids in order to sell movie tickets.

She was part of the plan to beard with Bradley.

by Anonymousreply 108December 29, 2020 1:34 PM

Promoting a fake romance is just part of Lady Fraud Fraud's brand! She's a REBEL!!! Don't you get it?!?! A REBEL!

by Anonymousreply 109December 29, 2020 1:41 PM

Do most actually hate her, OP, or are they just bored with her? The latter is how I feel about her.

Give me a singer who can just walk out onto the stage, stand at the microphone and entertain me with their voice over someone like Gaga and Pink who require acrobatics and gimmicks or Beyonce who requires 100 backup dancers to mask the fact they really can't sing.

by Anonymousreply 110December 29, 2020 2:03 PM

[quote]brillianté

Pretentious much?

by Anonymousreply 111December 29, 2020 2:10 PM

When I was 18 I moved to another city and after splashing my savings around I quickly found myself penniless and with nowhere to stay. I had to check in to a yucky backpackers and there was a woman and a flambing chubby gay guy at reception listening to Poker Face, which had just come out, and they were discussing Gaga. I was in a foul mood and while checking in the guy asked me for my opinion on L. Gaga. Me, being a total brat and more interested in krautrock blah blah, offered only a surly “fucking shit.” I’ve since come to appreciate pop music but I still thinks she’s fucking shit, at least in terms of her musical output. LOL @ the poster who mentioned ‘Perfect Illusion’ - I know Kevin Parker and he was terribly embarrassed by that song.

Sorry if my story was boring, I’m in quarantine and trashed

by Anonymousreply 112December 29, 2020 2:19 PM

If it wasn't for the gays' love of schlock and over-the-top divas she'd have no career.

by Anonymousreply 113December 29, 2020 2:35 PM

It was boring AND stupid r112. You sound like a jag.

by Anonymousreply 114December 29, 2020 3:01 PM

The fact that sob stories about "gay acceptance" are bound up in the critical analysis of an artist is indicative of what's wrong with Gaga, a mediocre talent with a shaky sense of her own identity. Her music is bombastic, bland and over-processed and her self-pity is revolting. Her voice? Meh. There's not much of a thrill to be had there. The only thing interesting about her is how she manipulates her image and brainwashes her dumb "Little Monsters" through social media via power of their narcissism and sense of victimization. She's cynical and soulless. And fugly.

by Anonymousreply 115December 29, 2020 4:16 PM

r76, add Roisin Murphy to that list:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 29, 2020 4:26 PM

There's a difference between being innovative and being eclectic and for some reason people have trouble differentiating. For a female artist, Kate Bush was/is "innovative" in terms of inventing a sound (with lots of help) to suit her unique voice and songs. Her kind of music hadn't been heard before in Pop - that's innovative. As for eclectic, Linda Ronstadt, whose music ranged from country to rock to standards to Latin to light opera, set the standard. If Linda's voice and style didn't always suit the genre she was delving into perfectly, she still offered a huge range of music and of course that magnificent vocal range and tone. Distinctive and unmistakable. Gaga is eclectic without being innovative, without having a great voice or being a particularly strong interpreter of material. I don't get her appeal beyond that fact that a largely irrelevant and debased music industry needs some kind of talent to sell itself. And "gay" is so establishment now that any hint of danger about was bleached out years and years ago. "Gay" is as bland and boring as Debbie Reynolds was in the 50's and 60's (so brave!).

by Anonymousreply 117December 29, 2020 4:57 PM

I also hate her fake "bisexuality."

by Anonymousreply 118December 29, 2020 5:01 PM

She's just not very interesting. Behind the costumes and all the glitter, there's no life behind her eyes. It became obvious when she did that Sound of Music tribute on the Oscars. She was hitting most of the notes, but there was little joy, spark, or life behind her eyes. That's boring to watch, yet so many people on social media went nuts for it.

by Anonymousreply 119December 29, 2020 5:37 PM

[R119] I totally agree with the "dead eyes" comment. It's the same thing George Cukor said about Tallulah Bankhead onscreen if you can believe it.

by Anonymousreply 120December 29, 2020 5:41 PM

That one Grammys where she had the silver piano and tried to act all Elton-ish, the media couldn't stop fawning over her.

I thought she was boring and looked/acted ridiculous.

Lady Trump has been pushed on the world by powerful people who want to brainwash the already-clueless masses that she's "a genius!"

by Anonymousreply 121December 29, 2020 5:41 PM

I remember seeing some ridiculous performance of hers where she was singing while sobbing on her piano. Despite her grotesque histrionics I was left stone cold. So embarrassing and self-indulgent. She's the definition of "trying too hard." Everything she does seems effortFULL, like watching Tonya Harding skate.

by Anonymousreply 122December 29, 2020 5:46 PM

I like Gaga but she isn't remarkable or groundbreaking. I loved her early music and it still stands up for late 00s/early 10s pop. Ting-Tings, La Roux, The Killers, Janelle Monae and even Hilary Duff were also doing that retro synthpop sound.

by Anonymousreply 123December 29, 2020 5:48 PM

She came around at a time when gay men could relate to her struggles and she theirs. Oh wait...

by Anonymousreply 124December 29, 2020 5:50 PM

The time Gaga made her musical debut, we just got out of the Bush era of neo-conservatism. Homophobia was still an issue and portrayals of gays on TV were still caricatures. Her defiant look and personality and outspoken support of gay rights made her refreshing at time. She dressed weird and talked weird and didn't conform to the beauty norms. She lost a lot of her appeal when she kept trying to be taken seriously and appeal to mainstream tastes. So she comes across as a poser. She's talented but a lot of her mystique is gone.

by Anonymousreply 125December 29, 2020 5:53 PM

R125 doesn't realize how much Lady Trump and her TEAM groomed him into thinking she was "defiant" and "nonconformist."

It was all a show to draw you in, Little Monster.

by Anonymousreply 126December 29, 2020 6:01 PM

The documentary she did for Netflix turned me off. She's always portrayed herself a certain way but in the Netflix documentary she came off as a depressed and miserable downer who cries all the time.

by Anonymousreply 127December 29, 2020 6:03 PM

R126

[quote] doesn't realize how much Lady Trump and her TEAM groomed him into thinking she was "defiant" and "nonconformist." It was all a show to draw you in, Little Monster.

Yeah. That's what I was saying though. Gaga's talented though but her image was created for her. She's not different from Pink, Beyonce and Christina Aguilera.

Even though Madonna is a bitch and can't sing that hood, she crafted her own image and marketed herself on her own.

by Anonymousreply 128December 29, 2020 6:04 PM

*good

by Anonymousreply 129December 29, 2020 6:04 PM

She’s unoriginal

by Anonymousreply 130December 29, 2020 6:05 PM

[R125] The Bush era was defined by 9/11 and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - the latter of which had widespread bipartisan support, as did the Patriot Act. To talk of "homophobia" in the media (cite examples, please) and her "brave" support for gays as a means to reverse-engineer history to fit your partisan narrative is recognized. Gay has been mainstream for a long time and homophobia had long since stopped being a huge problem for most people in that timeframe. Get real.

by Anonymousreply 131December 29, 2020 6:07 PM

R131 Homophobia didn't stop being a problem in the 2000s. Have you been to rural America?

by Anonymousreply 132December 29, 2020 6:08 PM

I find her very dull outside her paraphernalia, she may be talented, but what make her different is actually just an improved version of other divas like Madonna or Cher. That's why she is some kind of self proclaimed gay idol simply by imitating another gay icons

by Anonymousreply 133December 29, 2020 6:51 PM

Why does no one mention that she borrowed from Grace Jones the most? Madonna gets way too much credit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 29, 2020 6:59 PM

She has this irritatingly self-important “I’M SUCH AN ARTIIIIISTE!” schtick that just gets on my tits. She’s really not anywhere as revolutionary as she thinks. She may in fact be a hack.

by Anonymousreply 135December 30, 2020 8:23 AM

True. She makes mostly standard dance-pop while wearing "outrageous" costumes that have been done before by much better artists.

by Anonymousreply 136December 30, 2020 12:46 PM

OP, gay men are her primary fanbase. Come up for air, hon. Your brain needs the oxygen.

by Anonymousreply 137December 30, 2020 12:51 PM

Chromatica is truly brilliant. Gaga really came into her own on this record.

by Anonymousreply 138December 31, 2020 11:03 PM

Her own? Her biggest hit was with Ariana Grande.

by Anonymousreply 139December 31, 2020 11:22 PM

They don't. A lot of them love her. I don't but I don't deny her creativity. I just don't buy her whole persona at all. My friend saw her perform when she was just becoming famous and he said she acted like a huge bitch to the audience the entire time. When she really blew up, he didn't believe her when she was going on and on about her "little monsters" and "be yourself" BS.

by Anonymousreply 140December 31, 2020 11:40 PM

R134, Grace HATES her. She was even quoted as saying "I wish she would stop copying me". In other interviews, she has stated she met Lady Gaga in person and she was not impressed by her.

by Anonymousreply 141December 31, 2020 11:42 PM

R139, who cares about hits, I'm talking about quality here. It's her best album

by Anonymousreply 142December 31, 2020 11:45 PM

[quote] Last year, Lady Trump ADMITTED she went along with the fake romance story with the tabloids in order to sell movie tickets.

Did any gay people actually believe this fake romance BS at all? It seems lke every dumb Karen believed it, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 143December 31, 2020 11:47 PM

I also think her image is complete BS. She tried to sell herself as this bullied teen but that turned out to be completely false. According to people who went to high school with her, she was extremely popular and well liked. So much for her authenticity.

by Anonymousreply 144December 31, 2020 11:48 PM

They are jealous of all the prime dick she’s had.

by Anonymousreply 145January 1, 2021 1:02 PM

I remember reading a story about how Skarsguard mocked her body in some video that he worked on with her.

by Anonymousreply 146January 1, 2021 3:18 PM

An interesting thing about Lady Gaga is that she was self-motivated, much like Madonna, to make it in music. She dropped out of college and busted her ass to play music and eventually become a recording artist. Compare her to someone like Beyonce, who was pushed/motivated by her father from a very young age to become a music star. It's interesting to think about it from that angle. In many ways, Lady Gaga is a self-made music icon.

by Anonymousreply 147January 1, 2021 7:11 PM

Gaga was also not a great beauty too. Her weird pop art persona was likely crafted to detract from that. It was brilliant because 2000s pop music consumers were shallow and sex sells in that industry. So being weird and visually catching was a great way to draw attention to herself without having to be a "sex kitten".

by Anonymousreply 148January 10, 2021 3:33 AM

Interesting, as she certainly casts herself as "sexy" in almost all of her videos.

by Anonymousreply 149January 10, 2021 5:02 AM

R110 are you joking? Love her or hate her, Gaga can sit behind a piano and belt. To insinuate she can't is just silly.

by Anonymousreply 150January 10, 2021 7:59 AM

...and thus began the great love affair of our time.

by Anonymousreply 151January 10, 2021 8:02 AM

Boring, bland. Blah.

by Anonymousreply 152January 10, 2021 9:11 AM

Gaga is a bad replay of Madonna and Dale Bozzio from Missing Persons. In addition,she is quite fugly.

by Anonymousreply 153August 16, 2022 1:13 PM

I like Gaga. She stands out in a sea of flavorless pop tarts. A lot of people, especially gay men, seem to enjoy looking down their noses at pop culture. My guess is because it makes them feel superior or "cultured". I knew some rather pretentious gays in my day, and generally it only took a subtle reminder that they were one generation removed from Appalachia to put them in their place. I listen to a variety of music but if I am cleaning, cooking, or working in the yard, nothing beats high energy pop. Plus one can't dance to Beethoven. Well maybe some of these gays from the 1800s whilst practicing that scandalous new waltz, but most of us need a beat and high RPM. Don't know why people think Gaga is "fugly". I like Madonna's music, but she isn't exactly known for creative originality.

by Anonymousreply 154August 16, 2022 1:48 PM

Gay Jews are never organic.

by Anonymousreply 155August 16, 2022 2:47 PM

I’d have some respect for her if she would acknowledge all the artists she ms copied and stole from.

by Anonymousreply 156August 16, 2022 2:51 PM

A considerable amount if it is older gays being resentful for a number of different reasons you can easily figure out given the kind of vitriol aimed against her. I don’t really care about all of that. She’s insanely talented.

by Anonymousreply 157August 16, 2022 2:54 PM

R155, she's Italian, darling.

R156, it's Madonna that very obviously copied and stole from artists (there are many receipts out there online if you don't believe me), and she never acknowledged any of it. Gaga makes pretty basic disposable pop, some of it fun and anthemic. I think the notion that Born this Way is a ripoff of Express Yourself is ridiculous. If you try to mix the two songs it's impossible. The melodies, key and lyrics are not at all the same. The only thing similar is the theme of self-acceptance to a dance beat. Born This Way seems more like an homage to later disco than anything else, with its rhythm and melody. Just because Madge called her reductive, doesn't mean she's right.

The answer to OP's stupid question is that gay men have very strong opinions about all female singers. Gaga is much loved by some, and much hated by others. It's the same with every other music diva. Look at all the Janet, Madge, Beyonce and even Dionne threads we have here. Queens are divided about all of them for a variety of very personal reasons, some of them very misinformed (as has been seen in this thread).

Gaga can certainly sing - better than Madge or Beyonce or many other divas out there. Some of her music is really good, some of it is certainly filler (in order to complete an album in a hurry). Some of the supposed filler songs are actually solid B sides that you can come back to and listen again. I rediscovered the Joanne album last year and was surprised at how much I liked some songs I had originally dismissed. She is fantastic live, and I believe her artifice and wild persona is indeed fake, and she owns that, the artifice is meant to entertain (and yes, it can be argued that she's doing this because she can't sell good looks). Her sense of spectacle is completely matched with her fantastic voice, so I think she can get away with all the razzle dazzle. Her BTF charity scored a 75% out of 100%, so it wasn't a 'sham' as has been stated above.

Queens love to knock down anyone who seems successful, especially other queens (whether gay or gay icons). That's nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 158August 16, 2022 3:46 PM

I dont hate Lady Gaga, I'm just indifferent. Although i have to say she has been a decent ally and supportive for a number of young LGBT people

I dont have strong opinions on any female singers, with the exceptions of Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynette who I do like very much, along with Lucinda Williams.... that may explain my indifference to most of the modern divas like Beyonce, Gaga and such

by Anonymousreply 159August 16, 2022 4:28 PM

She’s ugly.

by Anonymousreply 160August 16, 2022 4:33 PM

R158

drop dead

by Anonymousreply 161August 21, 2022 1:17 AM

I thought most gays love Gaga?

anyway if you hate Gaga you look foolish if you're a fan of talentless Shitney Spears and/or Hagdonna

Gaga can sing well, dance decently and she's very creative. Does she have her faults? sure but who doesn't?

by Anonymousreply 162August 21, 2022 1:21 AM

Gays don't hate her considering the fact the only ones who still give a shit about her are gays, theatre geeks and pop lovers. Straight people moved on from her.

by Anonymousreply 163August 21, 2022 1:22 AM

I saw her on the Joanne tour and half of the audience was made up of middle-aged soccer moms and the husbands they dragged with them to the show. She has a decent chunk of straight female fans because of ASIB.

by Anonymousreply 164August 21, 2022 1:25 AM

Most female pop stars are polarizing on DL. You have the obsessed stans and the obsessive haters. The indifferent people don't comment because they don't care and don't want both sides coming at them. Go look at the singer-songwriter threads like the ones on Tracy Chapman and Alanis Morrisette, they are far more drama-free and nuanced in discussion.

by Anonymousreply 165August 21, 2022 1:31 AM

I don't hate her, but she's mostly seemed kind of "meh" to me. Like she doesn't have that special something that would make me want to watch whatever she does, and she seems kinda charisma-free too. A couple of her early songs were fun ("Just Dance", "Lovegame", "Telephone"), but while she certainly has talent, I don't really think it ever went anywhere exciting.

by Anonymousreply 166August 21, 2022 1:57 AM

Most pop stars are overrated to me. I don't understand why any of them get so much worship and attention. Yeah they can put on a show but many of them aren't true artists or musicians who make art for art sakes. They're also cynical and calculated. Devoid of any passion and joy. Gaga is certainly more talented than most but her music is so soulless to me. Just like with Beyoncé and Taylor Swift, no soul either. Just music made to sell.

by Anonymousreply 167August 21, 2022 2:11 AM

[quote]but her music is so soulless to me. Just like with Beyoncé and Taylor Swift, no soul either.

Yes! Good point!

You know, I listened to her Born This Way album back in the day and it is so airless or something. Like the production is bad - but I think you put your finger on the pulse of what it is, no soul.

I feel exactly the same with Beyoncé's latest effort.

by Anonymousreply 168August 21, 2022 2:13 AM

Gaga said what she wanted in a man was a big dick. How bizarre because she already looks like a big dick.

by Anonymousreply 169August 23, 2022 3:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!