Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will you give up meat? A new study shows that moving to a plant-based diet is critical.

Many of the massive wildfires that have scorched the Amazon this summer and in recent years can be linked to dinner plates in China and other countries around the world. Cattle ranchers have been using illegal burning to tame the rainforest into pastureland to meet rising global beef demand, a strategy that spells disaster for climate change and biodiversity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 22, 2020 9:28 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2020 12:27 PM

I went from pescatarian to plant based in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2020 12:29 PM

Meats meat and man's gotta eat.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2020 12:30 PM

I'm not sure all those plant-based burgers and meat substitute products are safe. They're all processed food.

by Anonymousreply 4November 19, 2020 12:33 PM

Stopping women churning out so many crotch fruit is critical.

by Anonymousreply 5November 19, 2020 12:44 PM

Well, will you?

by Anonymousreply 6November 19, 2020 12:47 PM

The more important question is how do we depopulate countries like china that are destroy ing our planet.

by Anonymousreply 7November 19, 2020 12:47 PM

Haven’t eaten meat in 30 years. 4/1/1990.

by Anonymousreply 8November 19, 2020 12:48 PM

Yes, r7, why change our diets when we can commit genocide instead?

by Anonymousreply 9November 19, 2020 12:48 PM

PETA propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 10November 19, 2020 12:49 PM

I quit eating meat in 1985.

Never missed it.

by Anonymousreply 11November 19, 2020 12:50 PM

One child policy is necessary.

by Anonymousreply 12November 19, 2020 12:52 PM

R12 = Ching Chong

by Anonymousreply 13November 19, 2020 12:54 PM

They can take their study, shove it in a wheat tortilla, and stick it up their nether region stink hole.

by Anonymousreply 14November 19, 2020 1:13 PM

Anyone babbling about this as propoganda or false information didn't read the study. Import of food products is madness, period.

Eat local, eat seasonally and support LOCAL food systems. And yes, reduce the consumption of meat products. With the die off of pigs in China and Europe, Brazil will be raising pigs instead of just the soy to feed them. How are you supposed to stop the consumption of meat there? We can reduce our consumption and really ratchet it down, but they'll make up the difference and soon.

It has to be a GLOBAL initiative or it's doomed to fail, and so you can understand resistance when people intelligent enough to understand that know it's not going to happen, but thanks for the preaching, Dr. Doom (Science). In other words, eat your ribs and enjoy them because the rest of the world (China, eating for status) doesn't give a damn.

by Anonymousreply 15November 19, 2020 1:27 PM

Was raised a vegetarian since birth. My mother prophesied that the world would be compelled to switch to a vegetarian diet eventually. So grateful to her.

The livestock industry is not only destroying the climate abd the earth, the animals themselves are treated so horribly, you can’t even imagine the torture. As a result, there are high concentrations of fear chemicals, such as adrenaline, in the factory-farmed meat you eat. And yes, that contributes to rising levels of stress and aggression in society.

Between Monsanto poisoning the earth and modifying crops, the overuse of water and land to raise livestock, and the large-scale torture and genocide of animals, Big Ag is literally destroying the planet.

by Anonymousreply 16November 19, 2020 1:33 PM

Oh honey. No one all the board is going to give up eating all “meat” 🍆

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2020 1:33 PM

Link to Temple Gradin’s work

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2020 1:35 PM

If God didn't mean us to eat meat, he wouldn't have made it taste so good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2020 2:05 PM

Yes! Vegan since 2009, and it's easier and easier every year. Love vegan junk food, too. It's all available now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2020 2:10 PM

Already have you stupid FAT WHORE!!!

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2020 2:22 PM

R16, you forgot the hormones to instigate lactation and the antibiotics to protect against those heinous conditions they're being raised in.

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2020 2:40 PM

Wow, r16, have you ever eaten meat? I went vegetarian in 1976 when I was 19, but before that it was pretty much meat at every meal.

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2020 2:41 PM

Never

by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2020 2:46 PM

R23 I was served meat by an ignorant relative when I was little, but I didn't eat more than the first bite. Ditto the occasional accident at a restaurant; I tend to catch the error either before or after the first bite. Like you, my mother was 19 when she gave up meat and she had me at age 23, in 1973. I'm very grateful I had a hippie mom! Really set me up well for these times we are living. I'm already used to doing a lot of the diet and lifestyle hacks with which so many other struggle.

Congrats to anyone who discovered a meat-free diet on their own without familial support! I honor thee.

by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2020 2:48 PM

Vegans age like shit. Sorry, but it's true.

I'm not a big meat eater, but I'm not going vegan just to end up looking like the average one.

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2020 2:50 PM

I've been trying to move to a more plant based diet & while I don't disagree it's better for you & the planet....I really miss having a good burger or a big juicy steak. Chicken & pork I can live without, but nothing is better than an excellent cut of beef

by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2020 2:55 PM

Does anyone in this thread know why we have molars?

by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2020 2:57 PM

R28 Punkin, it is going way beyond "mean is why we have molars." Looking at the human digestive track or the human tooth is moot at this point. This is about planetary devastation. No one is saying you can't go and hunt for your meat. It's the factory farming that is profoundly destructive.

Blame Big Agriculture for why meat is killing the planet. And buy local, humanely raised meat if you want to eat meat.

by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2020 3:02 PM

*meat

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2020 3:03 PM

Those are malomars, R28.

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2020 3:03 PM

I rarely eat it as it is. Salmon is my preference, but I can do without that as well.

Lentil beans and eggs are a perfect source of alternative protein, as well as terrific sources for alternative farts.

by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2020 3:08 PM

L32 Lol true

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2020 3:10 PM

You don’t win friends with salad.

by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2020 3:11 PM

Check out the ingredients in some of those meat substitutes; cellulose, processed soy, full of chemicals. The veggie burgers are fine, but these others purporting to taste like meat are awful.

by Anonymousreply 35November 19, 2020 3:24 PM

I never buy meat.

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2020 3:34 PM

Human teeth are evidence of an omnivorous diet that includes a variety of food sources, but primarily vegetative. Meat once in a great while was the norm for a very long time. Hunting big game animals required a tremendous expenditure of energy and coordinated effort that required larger groups. Large scale buffalo hunting, for instance, didn't become feasible until the horse was used. Until then, Plains tribes were semi-nomadic and lived in settlements near water and food sources. They utilized cliff drops and weirs to 'trap' these larger animals and migrated to those areas in the time of year the herds were moving through. After the horse came to the plains, they were able to follow the herds and became more mobile.

There's evidence from the European caves that this was also the case in Meso' and Paleolithic times. People did not live in the areas of herd migration and breeding. Meat 'harvesting' always resulted in a limited supply that was tremendously valued and ritually venerated.

Now, we have eggs in the winter, meat year 'round and it's one of the reasons why the rates of heart disease, inflammatory illness, cancer, autoimmune disorders, obesity, and diabetes are so high. Coupled with the lowered rate of physical expenditure to obtain it, meat is now a poison to the human body.

by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2020 3:34 PM

At this point, no rational person thinks we should not be eating less meat and reducing mega farms. When I stopped eating meat it wasn't called vegetarian, it was called, 'pain in the ass".

My thing is this, stop eating pigs. for every single reason. If you think it's not ok to raise dogs for food, there is no reason to think it's ok for pigs. Plus, pig hearts are the future for heart patients. Think. Smart as a dog with a heart as good a human. Plus, bacon smells good but it has an aftertaste of FECES. There I said it.

I'm 60. I decided to stop eating chickens and pigs when I was about 8, cows when I was 16. I still eat fresh fish a couple of times a year and canned tuna. I've purposely avoided all pictures and stories of tuna harvesting so I can continue to pretend that it's not barbaric and destructive.

The Foer book is an inciteful, balanced way to approach the subject.

You are what you eat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2020 3:35 PM

Eating meat is not the problem and never was the problem. The problem has always been the amount and the processing.

by Anonymousreply 39November 19, 2020 3:48 PM

If you mean vegetarian, say vegetarian. "Plant-based" is ambiguous at best and weasely at worst.

Sorry, just a pet peeve.

by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2020 3:51 PM

No. Would never work where I live. Way too difficult. I will however try to cut down on meat. Some meat is necessary for your diet anyway, but it's true that people today eat way too much of it.

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2020 3:57 PM

Agree r40. Plant-based doesn't mean meat or animal products are totally excluded.

I can't wait for vegetarianism not to be considered pure enough and for the vegetarians to start getting bashed by the vegans.

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2020 3:58 PM

R38, if you think bacon tastes of FECES, you have really been cooking it wrong. Or storing it incorrectly.

I’ve nothing against vegetarianism or veganism, but I am deeply suspicious of the companies which are trying to persuade us that a vegetarian diet is the only option for the future. These are the same companies who told us that saturated fat was evil, and that we should move to sugar-filled alternatives, for the good of our health. They taught us that breakfast serials (sugar and grains) are good for us. They taught us that mechanically recovered vegetable oils are good for us. They have moved us away from eating unprocessed food (both animal-based and plant-based) produced by farmers, and are trying to convince us that ultra-processed stuff is the ethical and healthy choice. I don’t believe them.

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2020 4:05 PM

I went from vegetarian to vegan about 6 years ago, when I could no longer ignore the ethical dissonance in perpetuating the misery inflicted on egg-laying hens and dairy cows and their calves.

In those few years the vegan options in supermarkets and restaurants have dramatically increased, so there's no inconvenience or drawback as far as I'm concerned.

I can't imagine eating animal products again.

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2020 4:08 PM

Bacon or any meat will only smell of feces when you try to warm it up inside your ass.

by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2020 4:16 PM

I eat bison

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2020 4:16 PM

[quote]I could no longer ignore the ethical dissonance in perpetuating the misery inflicted on egg-laying hens

The egg-laying chickens in my neighbors' backyard don't seem miserable.

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2020 4:27 PM

R46 Does it taste anything like ox tail? We used to go to ox tail roasts all over New York state while growing up. They were fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2020 4:28 PM

R48 here correcting himself before the Oh Dear deer shows up. Oxtail, just one word. I looked up images and learned something new.

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2020 4:29 PM

R48, to me, it tastes like a gamier version of beef. I'm not a big oxtail person, so I'm afraid I can't make that comparison.

by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2020 4:33 PM

Been a vegetarian for over 25 years. There's plenty of other ways to get protein and nutrients.

by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2020 4:36 PM

American beef has fuck-all NO IMPACT on the Amazon rainforest. For all practical intents and purposes, it's legally impossible to import beef into the US. Not even 'Kobe' or 'Argentine' beef. Even if someone found a loophole, the beef would be sold as a $200 steak at a fine restaurant, not as ground beef at Aldi or in a Big Mac.

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2020 4:36 PM

He don’t eat no meat?? That’s ok, I make lamb!

by Anonymousreply 53November 19, 2020 4:49 PM

He don’t eat no meat?? That’s ok, I make lamb!

by Anonymousreply 54November 19, 2020 4:49 PM

Eat me.

by Anonymousreply 55November 19, 2020 9:21 PM

I have already reduce my meat consumption significantly. I will continue to eat meat in moderation.

by Anonymousreply 56November 19, 2020 9:23 PM

No, OP, I have considerably reduced meat consumption.

I will not give it up, nor will I argue about it.

Have a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 57November 19, 2020 9:25 PM

I'm having veal as I type this.

by Anonymousreply 58November 19, 2020 9:26 PM

R38 spelled insightful , inciteful. Why does he get a pass????

by Anonymousreply 59November 20, 2020 3:31 PM

I once got food poisoning from a beyond burger and it dudnt even taste good. Never again. I do like black bean burgers. Not sure I could ever give up meat but it isnt a huge part of my diet.

by Anonymousreply 60November 20, 2020 3:37 PM

Vegan for 15 years. In excellent shape and last checkup showed everything was fine. No problem getting all nutrients I need except B12, and so I take supplements but my levels are high enough that I might not need them as nutritional yeast, which I love and put on pasta, soups, etc is high in this and other B vitamins.

by Anonymousreply 61November 20, 2020 3:52 PM

I knew someone who gave up meat at the age of 60. And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 62November 20, 2020 4:00 PM

Eating corned beef as I read this.

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 63November 20, 2020 4:03 PM

Lactoveg for 15, 20 years. I couldn't care less what people stuff their faces with. It's THEIR life.

by Anonymousreply 64November 20, 2020 4:08 PM

r43, r45. A google search of "bacon tastes like feces" has 3.4 million hits, including actual science. Who knew?

Some people can taste androsterone. I must be one of them. It's called Boar Taint. Really tells you all you need to know. That and Bacon comes from old german meaning ASS. Yum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 21, 2020 12:24 PM

[Quote] Eat local, eat seasonally and support LOCAL food systems.

And eat low in the food chain.

by Anonymousreply 66November 21, 2020 1:30 PM

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

by Anonymousreply 67November 21, 2020 1:38 PM

^Pull my finger!

by Anonymousreply 68November 21, 2020 1:46 PM

r65, so it's like cilantro? Some people think it tastes like soap and others love it.

by Anonymousreply 69November 21, 2020 1:56 PM

No OP.

by Anonymousreply 70November 21, 2020 1:58 PM

r69, except boar taint is hormones plus actual scat, whether you can taste it or not.

Boar taint is caused by the accumulation of two compounds – androstenone and skatole – in the fat of male pigs. Androstenone (a male pheromone) is produced in the testes as male pigs reach puberty and gives the meat a urine or sweat flavour, while skatole (a byproduct of intestinal bacteria, or bacterial metabolite of the amino acid tryptophan) is produced in both male and female pigs and gives the meat a 'fecal' flavour. However, levels are much higher in intact boars, because testicular steroids inhibit its breakdown by the liver. As a result, skatole accumulates in the fat of male pigs as they mature. Mmmm delicious. Everybody loves it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 21, 2020 2:29 PM

Yikes, that is disgusting. ^

by Anonymousreply 72November 21, 2020 2:32 PM

I love bacon and all pork products, pretty much. Well, maybe not trotters, who wants to deal with that?

I'm going to make a pork tenderloin tonight. It's marinating now.

by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2020 6:15 PM

R72, It is. And I never knew about it and I've never discussed it with anyone. The first time it happened I was at a kids birthday party and they served boiled hot dogs. I was convinced it had shit in it but no one else seemed to mind.

40 year mystery solved. Thanks r43 and r45. Without you I never would have googled it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2020 6:49 PM

I gave up meant in 1980 and have never missed it. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2020 6:50 PM

meat - not meant

by Anonymousreply 76November 21, 2020 6:51 PM

Bad clip. Lulu lays in the road and pretends to be dead until someone stops then she leads them in to the house.

by Anonymousreply 77November 21, 2020 6:52 PM

You are welcome, r74, and I condole you on your shit-smelling disability.

by Anonymousreply 78November 21, 2020 8:26 PM

Thanks, enjoy your feces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2020 8:31 PM

I've been a vegetarian since I was 13 years old—I turned 30 this year. Can't imagine going back. Knowing it's the dead flesh of the animal repulses me. I do still consume dairy products, which I know is controversial to some people.

by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2020 8:36 PM

I stopped eating meat in 1996. Have never missed it. (Actually, never much liked it anyway.). Am healthy as a horse.

by Anonymousreply 81November 21, 2020 8:41 PM

I haven’t eaten meat in over 25 years. It’s not as difficult as giving up dairy because eggs and milk are in almost everything.

by Anonymousreply 82November 21, 2020 9:05 PM

Since we no longer need to keep meat on the menu as a means of survival, the cruelty of it really stands out. That is, for mere convenience and pleasure, meat eaters are willing to have animals slaughtered in horrific conditions. The thoughtless cruelty behind consuming meat in a first world country in the 21st Century is very off-putting.

When Don Trump Jr receives well-earned backlash for his grotesque hunting trips, I wonder how many of the people joining in eat meat with no self-reflection about how similar they are. They don't have to have animals killed, but they do anyway because they find the result pleasurable.

by Anonymousreply 83November 21, 2020 9:07 PM

R83 I have more respect for hunters than I do for people who simply buy their meat at the grocery store. At least hunters know what it takes to kill an animal—and they're willing to do it. I don't like it, but I'd rather an animal go out that way than spend its short life in a factory in disgusting, cruel conditions before being slaughtered.

by Anonymousreply 84November 21, 2020 9:13 PM

I don't know if I'll go completely vegetarian, but I've definitely reduced my meat-eating over the years, eating a lot of vegetarian and vegan dishes (many of which are more delicious than many meat dishes).

by Anonymousreply 85November 21, 2020 9:17 PM

I have a question for the vegans. How do you feel about raising livestock to feed household pets? Some of that meat production goes into dog and cat food. Are you suggesting that people euthanize their pets to 'save the planet'?

by Anonymousreply 86November 21, 2020 10:09 PM

Carnivorous animals should be killed for killing animals.

The cruelty!

by Anonymousreply 87November 21, 2020 10:11 PM

No we are suggesting that you euthanize yourself. We spay and neuter our pets and adopt from shelters. See the difference?

by Anonymousreply 88November 22, 2020 2:29 PM

I'm not a huge meat eater, but I'm not going vegetarian. Sometimes I like a good steak or burger. Moderation in everything

by Anonymousreply 89November 22, 2020 2:47 PM

Moderation in everything is about a stupid a phrase as was ever invented. Ie: telling a rapist, please, just be moderate in the number of people you rape. Or a coke addict: no problem, just be moderate in your addiction. Or a child molester: hey, no problem, just moderate your molesting.

Moderation is simply a way to give people permission to do terrible things with impugnity.

by Anonymousreply 90November 22, 2020 4:48 PM

But eating a steak isn't doing a terrible thing, it's just eating.

by Anonymousreply 91November 22, 2020 9:27 PM

Nope. I love meat.

by Anonymousreply 92November 22, 2020 9:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!