Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Iconic Tower Records Returns As Website Selling Vinyl, Cassettes, CDs

One of the most iconic retailers in entertainment has returned in a new incarnation. Tower Records, which closed its stores 14 years ago and declared bankruptcy, today announced it has come back as an online service.

The new Tower Records has online events, the return of its Tower Pulse! magazine, a merchandise section, and, of course, music, music, music, including vinyl and cassette selections in various genres.

Founded in Sacramento in 1960 as a section in a drug store, the chain grew to an international success behind the savvy of the late Russ Solomon, who was memorialized in a 2015 film, All Things Must Pass, which studied the chain’s rise and eventual demise, save for a giant store in Tokyo that retained the name and remains open.

The new online version of Tower Records was originally scheduled for introduction at the 2020 South by Southwest, but pulled back when that event was curtailed by the pandemic. It was also envisioned as a series of pop-up shops, an idea also delayed by the coronavirus.

Danny Zeijdel, Tower Record’s new CEO, said the chain’s return “has been met with tremendous success, feedback. A lot of people are so happy taking pictures of when they receive an order from Tower Records, posting it on Instagram.”

Known for its enormous volume and knowledgeable staff, Tower Records was as much as culture as it was a retailer. The Sunset Boulevard store in West Hollywood in particular became a place where celebrities shopped, fans came to soak in the vibe, and was a go-to stop for anyone interested in music. Such artists as Prince and Elton John would shop before and after regular store hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 11:37 PM

"IF I COULD TURN BACK TIIIIIMMMME..."

by Anonymousreply 1November 19, 2020 6:28 AM

Who the hell is still buying CDs and cassette tapes in this day in age? They were both bad designs to begin with, and we’re still dealing with the plastic garbage they leave behind to this day. Some things just need to go away.

by Anonymousreply 2November 19, 2020 6:32 AM

I used to work there in my youth. I got a work permit at 11 years old and convinced them to hire me. Then I worked there again my senior year of high school.

by Anonymousreply 3November 19, 2020 6:55 AM

"...in my youth."

ELDERGAY ALERT at R3!

by Anonymousreply 4November 21, 2020 7:27 PM

In other words, someone just bought the "Tower Records" name. Same thing with Bell and Howell.

by Anonymousreply 5November 21, 2020 7:41 PM

Can we sell our vinyls to them?

by Anonymousreply 6November 21, 2020 8:21 PM

I always wanted to work at Tower

by Anonymousreply 7November 21, 2020 9:28 PM

R7, the pay wasn't great. Managers only made a dollar more than a starting sales associate.

The company has been out of business since the end of 2006, months after I graduated high school, but there are many leftover Tower Records buildings all over the country, still around with big signs left intact and lit up to this day. There are a few in the DC-MD-VA region, in and near Los Angeles and in New York. You'd think they were still in business if you didn't know any better.

Oh, well. Torrents and mp3s replaced CDs and DVDs, just like I told all my coworkers was sure to happen back then.

by Anonymousreply 8November 21, 2020 11:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!