Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Whitney addressing comparisons to Mariah

Byron Allen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2020 10:42 PM

What comparison? She only has a sister on crack while I AM on crack.

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2020 4:29 PM

Not funny dude ⬆️

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2020 4:31 PM

BARELY contained hatred!

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2020 4:39 PM

Sorry. But the impromptu runs that she did here, at the blink of a hat, during an interview, are the stuff of fucking dreams! The Voice!

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2020 4:44 PM

R2 you must be new to DL

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2020 4:48 PM

I don’t think so, r3. They were pretty cool with one another.

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2020 4:49 PM

She's wrong about Mariah having a great voice, it was decent but nothing extraordinary, and those gimmicky vocal "inflections" are pretty dated, like Christina Aguilera and her warbling.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2020 5:03 PM

Ariana Grande is the new Mariah

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2020 5:06 PM

Mariah had an incredible voice

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2020 5:47 PM

R9. Whatever. Whitney was being incredibly nice here. At her peak, Whitney was untouchable.

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2020 6:15 PM

At their respective vocal peaks, I prefer Whitney’s voice - granted she didn’t have Mariah’s Minnie Ripperton extension, but she had a beautiful creamy voice in the low end of her range that seamlessly transitioned into a gorgeous thrilling belt and clarion mezzo-soprano head voice. Mariah always feel like she was manually gear shifting between her very distinct and less integrated registers.

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2020 6:17 PM

Whitney was jealous of Mariah’s whistle register

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2020 6:52 PM

What’s dat dude?

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2020 8:03 PM

[quote]Mariah always feel like she was manually gear shifting between her very distinct and less integrated registers.

Yeah, Mariah's voice doesn't flow effortlessly from one octave to the next in the same way that Whitney, Barbra and Celine's voices do. But Mariah possesses a 5-octave vocal range, which none of those women have, so it's a tradeoff. Ariana Grande has a 5-octave vocal range like Mariah, and her voice can shift between octaves more smoothly than Mariah's voice can.

I think a smoother transitioning voice is more pleasurable to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2020 8:35 PM

Watching Whitney sing with other female singers, she often takes an alto harmony and makes it more exciting than the lead.

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2020 9:00 PM

R14. I could care less about octaves. Sometimes, I can barely understand some of the words that Ariana is singing across her range. By comparison, Celine's voice is crystal clear despite her nasal and language issues. In French, she is incroyable. And Whitney was at another level during her peak.

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2020 9:00 PM

I don’t know what an octave is dude

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2020 11:43 PM

Patti

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 20, 2020 12:42 AM

Nothing beats the original

by Anonymousreply 19November 20, 2020 12:58 AM

Ariana's voice sounds paper thin. She sounds and looks liek a 12 year old playing dressup. Both Whitney and Mariah are way better than her.

by Anonymousreply 20November 20, 2020 1:07 AM

So coherent without the crack.

by Anonymousreply 21November 20, 2020 1:18 AM

Whitney and Mariah singing When You Believe at the Oscar

Beautiful voices. The funny part is when Whitney’s voice destroyed Mariah live 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2020 1:31 AM

Ariana Grande is okay if you like watching high school talent shows. Mariah Carey had it but then she lost it, both vocally and mentally. Even at her best, Mariah still couldn’t touch Whitney when it came to vocal power and the ability to fill a room with her voice. Whitney didn’t need the production enhancements or vocal coaching that Mariah did. We might have lost one of the greatest singers of our time to a debilitating drug addiction but she’s more deserving of Hall of Fame status than that jaded famewhore, pseudo-diva, Mariah.

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2020 1:33 AM

Whitney was always a better singer than Mariah, even when her voice started to decline.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2020 1:39 AM

The vocals on Mariah's first album were superior to anything that Whitney ever recorded during her career. She blew Whitney out of the water.

Unfortunately, her voice didn't last very long, but neither did Whitney's.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2020 1:50 AM

🍎apples and oranges

by Anonymousreply 26November 20, 2020 1:50 AM

Mariah blew Whitney out of the water? Where and when and in which planet? Not this planet obviously. Whitney has always been called the voice by the music industry and been much more respected than Mariah.

by Anonymousreply 27November 20, 2020 2:03 AM

The only thing Mariah blew was Tommy's dick.

by Anonymousreply 28November 20, 2020 2:05 AM

R27, Barbra Streisand was The Voice. Other than having a technically great voice, Whitney couldn't touch Streisand as a singer or artist. Whitney's music was generic at best. Celine Dion is a better singer than Whitney.

Except in her early years, Whitney couldn't sing her songs live as good as on record. She either lowered the keys to her songs, or she used backup singers to handle the high parts for her.

by Anonymousreply 29November 20, 2020 3:22 AM

R28 Mariah has sold 200 million albums, 19 #1 songs, most weeks at #1, Billboard song of the decade in 2 decades, a #1 in 4 decades, and when people think of Christmas they think of Mariah, Santa, and Jesus ..in that order.

Go suck a dick, whore.

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2020 3:31 AM

R30 best selling artists of all time and Mariah at #16 more than Whitney but she has more albums

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2020 4:02 AM

Mariah sucks, or sucked. Horrible. Both had horrible music. Who cares how many octaves someone has? I’ll take a Dolly Parton much smaller voice any day. Big voiced singers are exhausting and I’m not impressed.

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2020 4:10 AM

r30 = Crazy Lamb.

We don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2020 4:25 AM

I wasn't a fan of Whitney but there is nobody else who even comes close to the standard of her voice.

Mariah has a great voice but it's not even vaguely in the league of Whitney Houston's voice.

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2020 12:27 PM

Whitney had a great voice, but a shame Clive Davis was her producer. Sure he had great commercial instincts but he loaded her down with such bad, though highly commerical material.

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2020 1:03 PM

R35, so you would have preferred she be less commercially and culturally successful?

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2020 1:08 PM

R35, I just wished she'd had been given more interesting material worthy of her talent. For instance when her voice eroded in the 00s instead of recording that I Look to you album she'd done a blues album instead.

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2020 1:23 PM

My main take away from that clip is that Whitney leans lez. Mariah’s peak was her debut album, which was the only time it was reasonable to consider her talent along side Whitney’s.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2020 2:26 PM

Well, Mariah won. She's still alive and kicking and is working towards her 20th #1 song on the Billboard Hot 100.

When you compare her career to those of Whitney, Madonna and Celine, there is no doubt that she has come out on top and continues to thrive. She got her 19th #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 just last year.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2020 3:55 PM

Mariah is an old fat ugly has been who has now to strictly rely on xmas songs to be in the news.

Her latest album is a MAJOR flop as nobody cares for it 🤣

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2020 4:34 PM

She’s not fat.

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2020 4:39 PM

[quote] She got her 19th #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 just last year.

Yes. a song from 26 years ago hit number one. Let's not act like Mariah's new music is popular.

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2020 10:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!