Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Home Alone: 30 Years Later. Do you consider it a classic?

I love watching this every year. Catherine O'Hara is perfect as the mother and Macaulay Culkin was also perfectly cast.

The score by John Williams has always been my favourite part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 25, 2020 11:15 PM

No. I didn’t care for the film myself.

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2020 2:25 AM

No. Saw it in 1990...and never again. Not even the extra crappy sequels.

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2020 2:28 AM

I LOVE the house and neighborhood. Where was it shot?

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2020 2:30 AM

Hard to believe that most of the movie was shot in a high school gym

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2020 2:31 AM

Winnetka IL

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2020 2:31 AM

I think it is a classic, but I never have enjoyed it as much as the first time. Novelty often goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2020 2:33 AM

It's still very comforting to watch today. I watch every year in December. The sequel too.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2020 2:45 AM

It IS a classic

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2020 2:46 AM

I have some level of nostalgia for it, but I think that's because it came out when I was the same age as Culkin's character.

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2020 2:48 AM

R8, blaaaaah. You don't know the classics, chump!

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2020 2:48 AM

No ive never seen it even

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2020 2:50 AM

I thought the first sequel was better. It's basically the exact same story, but bigger and in New York so the stakes are higher. After the events of this movie, I really hope that kid called child protective services on his dumb ass, neglectful parents.

That said, the scenes where Catherine O'Hara shows back up at the end make me cry. There's something about a mother finding the child she thought she lost that turns me into a big ol' Mary.

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2020 2:53 AM

I never understood why O'Hara's character was such a steely bitch to John Candy and the polka crew who offered her a free ride.

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2020 2:57 AM

Agreed, R12. I was born in 1987, so HA2:LiNY was right in my childhood sweet spot. Someone bought it for a Christmas gift for me in 1993 (maybe) and I watched it endlessly. I can still recite every line, even the ones I only learned phonetically lol. Plus it started my obsession with John Williams and his scores that shaped my childhood and drive me to be a musician.

I saw the first film a few times as a young kid, but it actually scared me a bit (mostly the beginning), and just never stuck, until I was an older teen. Of course it’s great to hear the original score and the other amazing music in the first film. Plus it’s a tad grittier and less glossy than HA2. And R12 is right about the ending scene in HA1. It’s amazing and IMO blows the Rockefeller Center scene in HA2 out of the water.

I refuse to acknowledge any later films in the franchise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2020 3:42 AM

R13, maybe some resentment from their SCTV days?

Home Alone, It's a Wonderful Life, Charlie Brown Christmas, Frosty and Christmas Vacation are all must see Christmas movies for me.

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2020 3:47 AM

It's no "A Christmas Story".

And Ralphie grew up to be sexier than McCaulley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2020 3:54 AM

The first film is better but O'Hara's dykey hair from the sequel was definitely an improvement over the bland soccer mom do she had in the first one.

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2020 4:16 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2020 5:56 AM

Nope, not a great movie. I get that for a generation of kids, it was their favorite and they're nostalgic about it, as no doubt am I about some movies from my childhood. But viewed objectively, it's just not a very good movie.

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2020 7:15 AM

Yes, i consider Home Alone a classic. I prefer the first movie. But Tim Curry is great in the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2020 11:52 AM

I have never watched this film.

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2020 11:55 AM

I was traveling in Paris when the sequel came out and I remember seeing ads for it on all of the buses. It cracks me up that the title they used for the French audience is "Mama, I Missed the Plane....Again!"

There hasn't been a hugely popular, likable child movie star like Mac since his heyday. I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2020 12:00 PM

R3, here is a good rundown of where all the filming places were:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2020 12:26 PM

[quote]That said, the scenes where Catherine O'Hara shows back up at the end make me cry. There's something about a mother finding the child she thought she lost that turns me into a big ol' Mary.

Same. See also: the scene with the elderly neighbor in the church, and the later scene with the neighbor and his family. They make me teary every single time.

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2020 12:30 PM

Loved the first two. They bring me right back to my childhood, and remember going to see the sequel when it came out. If anything I prefer the second film, it really made me want to see NY (still never been, I’m a Brit). The sequels after Home Alone 2 do not exist for me.

by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2020 12:43 PM

No. I went to see it when it opened (friend's idea) and the rest of the audience clearly loved it, but I thought it played like a mediocre sitcom.

Then it became an enormous hit... broke box office records. I stupidly went to see it a second time, thinking I just was in a crappy mood the first time. Nope, second time was just as meh as the first, and on top of it I felt really dumb for having been so convinced it was my fault that I didn't like it that I wasted money and time on a second viewing.

by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2020 12:51 PM

R26 = but saw Titanic over 10 times in 1997-98

by Anonymousreply 27November 18, 2020 5:24 PM

It was my first introduction to the idea that some Christmas choir music can be rather frightening.

by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2020 5:28 PM

One of my favorite Christmas movies...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2020 5:33 PM

Nope. I can never get past the fact that the family flies off without the kid and for hours, they don’t notice. I get it, I get it but beyond that, it doesn’t feel like a classic. Too obvious.

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2020 5:36 PM

I did rather enjoy Pesci and Daniel Stern as the two hapless goons in this.

by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2020 5:40 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 18, 2020 5:43 PM

It was about as funny as sitting on a knife.

by Anonymousreply 33November 18, 2020 5:47 PM

I can think of more insufferable John Hughes films.

by Anonymousreply 34November 18, 2020 5:49 PM

The ending of the first one with the old man reuniting with his family makes me fall apart like a baby, but I do prefer the sequel. Plus, you have Tim Curry hamming it up. I think it's one of his best and funniest performances. My family and I still quote all his lines to this day. That man can make anything better simply by showing up.

by Anonymousreply 35November 18, 2020 5:50 PM

2 was so ridiculous. Makes the first one look like it has no plot holes. But I still watch it.

by Anonymousreply 36November 18, 2020 5:53 PM

Always bothered me Kevin was able to order a pizza but no one could call him.

And that when he rides the slide down the stairs, he would have just run into the wall since the front door was centered and the stairs weren't.

by Anonymousreply 37November 18, 2020 6:35 PM

More of a pleasant diversion, if nothing else is on, than a classic.

by Anonymousreply 38November 18, 2020 6:49 PM

What is the last great Christmas movie?

by Anonymousreply 39November 19, 2020 12:06 AM

Christmas Vacation

by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2020 12:20 AM

I love Home Alone. I'm not sure how much nostalgia plays a role. I tried watching A Christmas Story for the first time as an adult and was bored to tears.

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2020 12:46 AM

I saw this four times in the theater. Don’t think I would ever break that record.

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2020 12:50 AM

Mac Culkin was amusing on Will & Grace.

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2020 12:51 AM

Awful. Awful. Awful movie.

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2020 12:56 AM

There really isn't a franchise here. Home Alone 1 and 2 were done by the same creative team and cast. HA3 was a cheap knockoff to make a little bit in theaters and do home video business and then there was a TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2020 12:57 AM

I remember I was babysitting my 10-year-old nephew on the night Home Alone opened. We drove to the movie theater (next to a now-dead mall). We thought about seeing Rocky V, which also opened that day, but we ultimately chose Home Alone. Never saw Rocky V. Oh yeah, a movie ticket for an evening show was $3.75, which I thought was a rip-off. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2020 1:02 AM

Popular does not equal classic.

by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2020 1:02 AM

It is most definitely a contemporary classic among people of a certain age. I grew up in the '90s and loved it as a kid—I still think it holds up today.

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2020 1:07 AM

R41, I'm right there with you. A Christmas Story was boring as hell. But you can't tell anyone else that because they will scratch your eyes out.

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2020 1:38 AM

Elf is a classic and we religiously watch the MST3K version of “Santa Claus” - a bizarre, surreal and unforgettable film from Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2020 1:50 AM

Classic? No, and I agree with you OP. Williams' score is the best part...superior (in my opinion) only to Catherine O'Hara's performance. I collect film scores, and this is always on my playlist, but I haven't actually seen the film in decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2020 1:55 AM

I hated it the first time around and I hate it now.

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2020 1:57 AM

No, I was a kid when this came out and I don't consider this a classic. This is no "A Christmas Store" or "Christmas Vacation". If someone wanted I'd totally watch it again, but it's not a movie I'd ever choose to see.

by Anonymousreply 53November 19, 2020 2:35 AM

I've never seen "A Christmas Store" Is it about Macy's? Gimbels? Is it streaming?

by Anonymousreply 54November 19, 2020 3:15 AM

I do believe this is a film enjoyed mainly by kids of a certain era. It had all of the right stuff -- kid gets to live in a big house by himself, no parents, do whatever he wants, eat what he wants, and gets to outsmart all of the adults with booby traps and hijinks. Had I seen it as an adult, I can imagine just being annoyed by this smart-alecky brat.

by Anonymousreply 55November 19, 2020 3:50 AM

[Quote] Mac Culkin was amusing on Will & Grace.

He was recently on a show called Dollface and played a creep. But that's nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 56November 19, 2020 7:10 AM

I've managed to avoid seeing it, with only intermittent minimal exposure (it playing on the television in some room I was passing through; seemingly thousands of commercial excerpts). I still have no plans to see it, ever.

by Anonymousreply 57November 19, 2020 3:00 PM

R57, sit on it!

by Anonymousreply 58November 19, 2020 4:15 PM

R58, I didn't watch them, either.

by Anonymousreply 59November 19, 2020 4:31 PM

I like The Ref much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 19, 2020 4:45 PM

Also Home For The Holidays, even though it's about Thanksgiving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 19, 2020 4:47 PM

Saw someone on Twitter say "Is that film you like really an unappreciated classic or did you just see it when you were 12?" and thought immediately of Home Alone.

by Anonymousreply 62November 19, 2020 4:50 PM

R60, The Ref is a masterpiece and probably my favorite Christmas movie.

by Anonymousreply 63November 19, 2020 5:56 PM

R60 Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 64November 19, 2020 6:45 PM

The two bumbling fools made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 65November 19, 2020 7:03 PM

R65, Daniel Stern, especially, showed some real physical comedy chops here. Not as easy as it looks.

The best scream queen, by far!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 19, 2020 8:57 PM

Did he officiate a wedding just before a fan died? I don't think so R66.

by Anonymousreply 67November 19, 2020 11:41 PM

I loved the slapstick scenes with Stern and Pesci although watching them now I think OMG they are gonna need months of PT to recover, thoughts I didn’t have as a kid viewer. Catherine O’Hara was the true heart of the movie, she managed to leave her son at home while flying to Paris, but she still convinced me she really loved her kid.

For those who couldn’t buy the premise, I hear yea, but the original audience grew up in the 70s & 80s, families were still largish, more mothers worked, kids were more free range. Most families I knew, had a classic often told family story of leaving a kid behind somewhere and driving home. We left my brother playing video games in a pizza restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 68November 20, 2020 12:14 AM

I guess because it's mostly on Disney+ this year, I miss seeing this on TV during the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 69December 24, 2020 3:14 AM

I saw it at the theater. Never was interested in watching it again. You rewatch classics.

by Anonymousreply 70December 24, 2020 3:19 AM

Loved this movie and watch it several times every Christmas. Perfectly cast. Love those "polka bums" who help mom home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 24, 2020 3:35 AM

[quote] I guess because it's mostly on Disney+ this year, I miss seeing this on TV during the holidays.

Buy the DVD ya cheapskate.

by Anonymousreply 72December 24, 2020 3:47 AM

I've always found Home Alone a shrill, violent movie without any real sense of fun, or charm, just nastiness.

I'm surprised it has lingered with the public.

by Anonymousreply 73December 24, 2020 4:11 AM

The interior of the house was lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 24, 2020 4:21 AM

R73 = Peter Billingsley

by Anonymousreply 75December 24, 2020 4:22 AM

The NY one is pretty good. Quite stupid and you don't have to watch it but it creates a cheery sound in a room.

by Anonymousreply 76December 24, 2020 4:22 AM

Home Alone 2 really pissed me off. Pigeons can’t see at night. They sleep. They don’t hang around in flocks in Central Park after dark, flying around& socializing. They're not bats. And the idea that this bird lady could climb up a into an attic Carnegie Hall is trash.

by Anonymousreply 77December 24, 2020 4:52 AM

Since Trump appeared in one of the sequels, the movie suffers from Trump taint.

Not to be confused with Trumps taint--which also cause suffering to anyone who's seen it.

It's like a mummy's curse sort of situation.

by Anonymousreply 78December 24, 2020 5:08 AM

Trump must get a pretty big laugh at the losers who can't ever think of anything without him included.

by Anonymousreply 79December 24, 2020 5:14 AM

I always thought John Hughes movies were very contrived but since he only wrote and produced this one...it's still contrived. Still I saw it once and enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 80December 24, 2020 5:17 AM

I thought it was great back then & it's held up pretty well now. We just watched it the other day. A week before that, we watched The Christmas Chronicles 2. Both directed by Chris Columbus. CC2 was unbelievably bad. The directing was incredibly awkward and not paced well at all. Cringey.

by Anonymousreply 81December 24, 2020 5:33 AM

I was 13 when it came out and loved it, but I haven't seen it in ages. If I watched it now I probably wouldn't care for it very much. Lots of movies from a person's childhood/teen years are views quite differently when you see them many years later as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 82December 24, 2020 5:37 AM

"Trump must get a pretty big laugh at the losers who can't ever think of anything without him included."

So he must be laughing at himself pretty hard right now. I mean, he's obviously a loser. A poor one at that.

And he can't think of anything without himself included.

But he would never laugh at himself. His fragile ego wouldn't allow it.

So, after all this time, you're still wrong about Trump.

That's to be expected, god bless.

by Anonymousreply 83December 24, 2020 6:36 AM

I watched the Blu-Ray tonight and watched the deleted scenes. I had never seen them before.

There was one very odd one where Uncle Frank yanks down Kevin's pants, revealing his underwear. Bizarre.

Most of them were wisely dropped, but there was a good one with Joe Pesci as Harry lamenting that people didn't know the true meaning of Christmas anymore, that instead of spending it with families, they go to Hawaii or Paris, and that this was leading to the moral decay of society. Then Marv responds, "Which house do you want to hit first?"

There's also scenes of Peter's brother's family in Paris, and also a few scenes of the family discussing Kevin being at home.

by Anonymousreply 84December 24, 2020 6:53 AM

I’ve watched it a few times when it’s on TV and it’s a good movie, but not one of my favorite Christmas movies or on my Christmas nostalgia watchlist.

by Anonymousreply 85December 24, 2020 7:18 AM

Fuck this racist piece of shit. The clean-cut, decent, honest WASP family represents "good" while the Italian and the Jew are the crooks who rob decent people's homes.

The writing reeks of WASP privilege. Problematic on so many levels. Not to mention the complete erasure of people of color and LGBTQ+ characters.

by Anonymousreply 86December 24, 2020 7:44 AM

Old man Marley was gay. So was Buzz. Fuller is trans.

by Anonymousreply 87December 24, 2020 8:02 AM

R86, the pizza delivery guy was queen waiting to burst out and there was a black person ice skating. So STFU.

by Anonymousreply 88December 24, 2020 11:31 AM

I think it’s a great holiday film. The physical comedy is hilarious, the music is excellent and the final scene where Kevin sees the old man reunited with his son gets me misty eyed.

by Anonymousreply 89December 24, 2020 1:33 PM

I like it but it's not a classic like Planes, Trains and Automobiles although both have Mr. John Candy in them.

by Anonymousreply 90December 24, 2020 1:48 PM

It’s comfort viewing. The perfect movie to have on in the background during holiday prep.

by Anonymousreply 91December 24, 2020 2:53 PM

r91 - cradling her mug with one hand and finger banging her snatch to Andrea Bocelli with the other.

by Anonymousreply 92December 24, 2020 3:04 PM

R86 you sound fun at parties

by Anonymousreply 93December 24, 2020 5:38 PM

[quote] There was one very odd one where Uncle Frank yanks down Kevin's pants, revealing his underwear. Bizarre.

Special request from MJ?

by Anonymousreply 94December 24, 2020 5:47 PM

Michael Jackson became OBSESSED with Macauley Culkin after this film came out. They were together constantly.

by Anonymousreply 95December 24, 2020 5:58 PM

There's actually a deleted scene set in the supermarket where a Black female shopper asks if Kevin is pushing the cart for his mother for r86.

by Anonymousreply 96December 24, 2020 11:08 PM

If you have Netflix, check out The Movies That Made Us from last year. One of the episodes is devoted to Home Alone and how it was made. The interior shots of the house were actually filmed inside the gym at New Trier Township High School.

by Anonymousreply 97December 24, 2020 11:19 PM

Why did the pizza delivery guy never call the police after he was shot at with a machine gun for just doing his job. It would have made the news. He would have told his boss and the police would have shown up at Kevin’s house to investigate and make arrests.

by Anonymousreply 98December 24, 2020 11:43 PM

He could've formed a lynch mob with the stationery store people.

by Anonymousreply 99December 25, 2020 3:42 AM

[quote] families were still largish, more mothers worked, kids were more free range.

The late '80s/1990 also presented darker cinematic fare involving kids than all of the cartoon/Disney CGI saccharine overload of today. They were films that captured the time.

by Anonymousreply 100December 25, 2020 9:15 PM

I used to love this as a kid. I’m watching it on Disney + now and I’m finding Culkin almost unbearably annoying. I’m not even halfway through it. I’m going to keep watching but it seems the luster has worn off.

by Anonymousreply 101December 25, 2020 10:01 PM

Yeah, the children’s movies of the 80s and 90s like Child’s Play, The Witches, Matilda, and New Nightmare were definitely darker.

by Anonymousreply 102December 25, 2020 10:31 PM

Much better with Owlkitty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 25, 2020 11:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!