Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is your favorite Film Noir film?

Mine is Diabolique with Simone Signoret.

by Anonymousreply 160December 17, 2020 1:08 PM

Do you live on Noir Alley, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2020 3:40 AM

I've watched many film noirs, but most blur together.

I really enjoyed Dark Passage and Sorry, Wrong Number.

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2020 3:44 AM

Kiss Me Deadly--there is no other Noir like it.

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2020 3:46 AM

I love noir, there are half a dozen favorites I could name, but I'll go with The Killers (1946).

by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2020 11:12 AM

[quote] Diabolique

Did Simone sit on her vctims?

by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2020 11:37 AM

Mildred Pierce IMO. It's the only noir that I watch semiregularly and never tire of.

by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2020 11:42 AM

Diabolique is a great film. But it is not film noir.

First it was not a Hollywood film

Second it does not have the visual style of Noir

Third it does not have a Noir-style plot.

Not every b&w crime drama is noir.

by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2020 11:47 AM

Diabolique may be good story-telling but it's "visual style" looked tacky.

Simone looked wonderfully butch but the director's wife was simperingly tedious.

by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2020 11:54 AM

Yeah, R7, Diabolique always seemed like a suspense thriller in the vein of Hitchcock.

by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2020 11:54 AM

Wiki says

[quote] Clouzot, after finishing The Wages of Fear, optioned the screenplay rights, preventing Alfred Hitchcock from making the film.[4] This movie helped inspire Hitchcock's Psycho.[5] Robert Bloch, the author of the novel Psycho, stated in an interview that his all-time favorite horror film was Les Diaboliques.[6]

by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2020 11:56 AM

Clouzot's film Panique is much closer to being Noir. But it still is not Noir.

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2020 12:00 PM

DETOUR (Ulmer, 45). In the Criterion Collection, beautifully restored.

Maybe the one that's most archetypal. All in 68 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2020 12:45 PM

Is Noir Alley near Nightmare Alley?

by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2020 12:49 PM

"Double Indemnity" & "Strangers On A Train" are both very good. "Witness To The Prosecution" is not totally noir, but has noir elements, and is also excellent.

by Anonymousreply 14November 16, 2020 1:44 PM

I guess I don't have a favorite. I like a lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 15November 16, 2020 1:45 PM

I have a number of them: In a Lonely Place, They Live By Night, The Postman Always Rings Twice, The Seventh Victim, Kiss Me Deadly. I love Diabolique too, though I don't know if I'd consider it a proper noir.

by Anonymousreply 16November 16, 2020 1:49 PM

Caged

by Anonymousreply 17November 16, 2020 1:50 PM

Body Heat

by Anonymousreply 18November 16, 2020 1:50 PM

Out of the Past, The Maltese Falcon, In a Lonely Place, Laura.

by Anonymousreply 19November 16, 2020 1:53 PM

R11 Panique was directed by Julien Duvivier.

by Anonymousreply 20November 16, 2020 1:56 PM

Another vote for Double Indemnity.

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2020 2:22 PM

Double Indemnity for the win; Body Heat second.

by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote]Film Noir film

Attention: Department of Redundancy Department!

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2020 2:35 PM

Um, what's with you bitches? Of course, it's MILDRED PIERCE!

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2020 2:46 PM

Yes R3 Kiss Me Deadly is superb. The opening lines, snarled: “You almost wrecked my car. Well... get in”.

My all time fave is Out Of The Past with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas. If you blink you miss the dialogue.

Then again I recently saw The Killing, Stanley Kubrick’s first film and it blew me away, so now it’s up there too. I became fascinated by Sterling Hayden after seeing that and The Long Goodbye, made 17 years later (Altman - not noir). Not many actors like a Mitchum or Hayden these days, maybe Javier Bardem could pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2020 3:18 PM

The Maltese Falcon

Not really film noir, but close: Chinatown

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2020 3:31 PM

It's a great genre and I can't pick just one favorite. But I'll throw out The Big Sleep. Not as good or as dark as the book but very entertaining.

This is reminding me that there are classics I haven't seen yet, like The Killers. Guess I know what I'll be watching in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2020 4:26 PM

The Maltese Falcon

by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2020 1:50 AM

Love Mildred Pierce and In a Lonely Place with Bogart and Gloria Grahame.

by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2020 1:55 AM

Sunset Boulevard.

by Anonymousreply 30November 19, 2020 1:55 AM

So many good ones mentioned already. I also love Pickup on South Street.

by Anonymousreply 31November 19, 2020 1:59 AM

Leave Her to Heaven, with Gene Tierney's chilling performance as evil incarnate.

It's also a rare film noir that is in Technicolor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 19, 2020 2:03 AM

I love almost everything nominated so far, but my favorite is "The Narrow Margin" with Marie Windsor. Also a huge fan of "Road House" with the great Ida Lupino.

by Anonymousreply 33November 19, 2020 2:24 AM

This film noir was charming and —unlike most of the films mentioned thus far— doesn't involve thuggish people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 19, 2020 2:34 AM

"Laura", and "Mildred Pierce", which are both rather semi-noir.

by Anonymousreply 35November 19, 2020 2:45 AM

Bicycle Thieves (1948)

by Anonymousreply 36November 19, 2020 2:48 AM

[R36] 'The Bicycle Thief' is an Italian neorealist film, not film noir.

You twit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 19, 2020 2:58 AM

A film can be both neorealist and noir.

by Anonymousreply 38November 19, 2020 3:04 AM

R34, I love "Kind Hearts And Coronets" too. Valerie Hobson appeared in it as the "hero's" true love -- does everyone here know that she was John Profumo's wife, who stuck with him throughout the scandal until her death?

by Anonymousreply 39November 19, 2020 3:13 AM

[quote] -- does everyone here know…

Yes, we do know. But we choose to judge Valerie on her wonderful career where she brought style, glamour and aristocratic beauty. She starred opposite the great men of British cinema such as Robert Donat, Olivier, Redgrave, Guinness, Stewart Granger, and Conrad Veidt. And she made publicity appearances with Gregory Peck and Montgomery Clift. She premiered 'The King and I' in London. She spent her latter years avoiding the muckrakers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 19, 2020 3:36 AM

Sweet Smell of Success

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang

by Anonymousreply 41November 19, 2020 3:44 AM

Speaking of Simone Signoret, loved her in “Ship of Fools”.

by Anonymousreply 42November 19, 2020 3:52 AM

The title of this thread -- "What is your favorite Film Noir film?" -- reminds me of all the TV news people who refer to "Attorney Generals". Not a perfect analogy because the former is redundant and the latter is a misplaced modifier, but both are clunky and awkward and wrong. Poor English language, so rich and beautiful but so readily misused.

by Anonymousreply 43November 19, 2020 4:07 AM

R43 I blame ourselves for pretentiously using French words instead of our own perfectly adequate words

by Anonymousreply 44November 19, 2020 4:14 AM

"Film noir" is one of those terms that everyone thinks they understand, whether or not they actually do. (Kind Hearts and Coronets, really?)

by Anonymousreply 45November 19, 2020 8:40 AM

In A Lonely Place is fantastic- the book it is based on is really good, a slightly different story.

Detour (Ulmer). The most evil woman in film. Trivia: the lead actor's son, Tom Neal Junior, remade the film, playing his father's part. It is as bad as the original is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 46November 19, 2020 9:06 AM

Night of the Hunter.

It is a pity it is Charles Laughton's only film as director.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 19, 2020 9:08 AM

Criss Cross with Burt Lancaster at his hottest and Yvonne De Carlo. Nightfall with hunkster Aldo Ray. Of course there are then the more familiar classics: Out of the Past, Double Indemnity, The Big Sleep. Broadly speaking, the genre begins with The Maltese Falcon and ends with Touch of Evil.

by Anonymousreply 48November 19, 2020 11:45 AM

Adaptation from "Jacques le fataliste" by Diderot, with dialogue by Jean Cocteau, "les dames du bois de Boulogne" by Robert Bresson seems like a noir. If not that, I surely enjoy, over and over Nora inu/Stray Dog, Mildred Pierce, Sunset Boulevard, Vertigo (its a noir I think) and Baby Jane (though this is considered horror?).

by Anonymousreply 49November 19, 2020 12:15 PM

"Kiss Me Deadly," as R3 said.

It flips the genre over and carries it writhing to its logical conclusion. After "Kiss Me Deadly," noir became a retrospective genre and style, in which even contemporary staging and updated plotting left it a period piece. Films ended either with a shrug of "Chinatown" or the cheat "He's alive!" ending of "L.A. Confidential." Of course, it's possible noir was slipping out anyway in a postwar world, but the timing matches this great film.

Who would have though science fiction would alter noir's trajectory.

by Anonymousreply 50November 19, 2020 12:43 PM

A lot of classic films to pick from, but my vote would go for for Kiss Me Deadly.

From it's backwards opening credits to "THE END" - which literally IS the end once Pandora's Box is opened - it's a powerfully dark, foreboding, paranoid movie.

Favorite noir director: Fritz Lang

BTW, those of you who like books, you might want to check out Film Noir: The Encyclopedia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2020 1:17 PM

Is this a good place to plug TCM's weekly feature "Noir Alley"? Every Saturday at midnight (EST) and rerun the following Sunday morning at 10 a.m. (EST). The introductions and epilogues by Eddie Muller are always worth watching even if you don't love every movie. For those who enjoy Facebook, it has a "Noir Alley" page with a lot of fan comments.

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2020 2:52 PM

I can't believe none of you whores mentioned The Third Man yet, without a doubt the best and most unique one of them all. I know some people stupidly consider only Hollywood productions to be real noirs but that one was co-produced by a Murican and starring two of them so I think it's fair to count it as one, even if you use that strict criteria.

by Anonymousreply 53November 19, 2020 5:01 PM

Niagara for the win, Wink.

by Anonymousreply 54November 19, 2020 5:10 PM

Kind Hearts and Coronets is noir?

Can I suggest Top Hat, Its Mad Mad Mad Mad World and La La Land as my favorite noirs then?

by Anonymousreply 55November 19, 2020 10:33 PM

r25 I came here to say The Killing -- I love it.

by Anonymousreply 56November 19, 2020 10:35 PM

[quote] … Its Mad Mad Mad Mad World…

Did that film contain murder?

by Anonymousreply 57November 19, 2020 10:38 PM

I will nominate Sudden Fear starring Miss Joan Crawford and Miss Gloria Grahame!

Also love: Mildred Pierce, Double Indemnity, In a Lonely Place, Pick Up on South Street, Out of the Past, Sunset Boulevard, Raw Deal, Night of the Hunter, Cape Fear, Born to Kill, Road House, Angel Face, Strangers on a Train, Dark Passage, Postman Always Rings Twice, A Place in the Sun, Wicked Woman, The Big Heat, and The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers.

by Anonymousreply 58November 19, 2020 11:03 PM

"Kind Hearts and Coronets" is a great example of the genre. May I nominate "My Friend Flicka"? Film noir at its steamiest!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 19, 2020 11:07 PM

This is my favorite genre, and it's impossible to choose a favorite. But here are two films not to overlook:

They Made Me a Fugitive (1947): Startlingly violent, especially by 'forties standards, with some tremendous set-pieces, including a shot-out in a funeral home. Has a fantastic villain, too.

The Burgler (1957): it stars my fav, Dan Duryea (with Jayne Mansfield, just before she became famous; she's restrained in this). Amazingly stylized, very Orson Wells-ish photography. Some guy named Paul Wendkos directed it, and I think that this is his only film.

by Anonymousreply 60November 19, 2020 11:54 PM

"Side Street" with Farley Granger has always been one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 61November 19, 2020 11:55 PM

R60 just mentioned my favorite movie shitheel, Dan Duryea, which reminds of Fritz Lang's remake of Renoir's "La Chienne", "Scarlet Street" starring Edward G. Robinson as a milquetoast Sunday painter and Joan Bennett- so cold and trashy.

by Anonymousreply 62November 20, 2020 1:19 PM

Kiss Me Deadly and Out Of The Past.

by Anonymousreply 63November 20, 2020 1:37 PM

Face it, bitches: the whole reason you like Double Indemnity so much is because in the end THEY GET AWAY WITH IT!!!!

by Anonymousreply 64November 20, 2020 11:39 PM

R64, that's some wild trolling. I almost respect that.

by Anonymousreply 65November 21, 2020 1:01 AM

The Honeymoon Killers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 21, 2020 1:20 AM

Divine looks pretty svelte in R66!

by Anonymousreply 67November 21, 2020 1:58 AM

R66 The Honeymoon Killers is great—truly fucking disturbing. Tony Lo Bianco was a hottie too, which is an added bonus (even though his character is despicable).

by Anonymousreply 68November 21, 2020 2:37 AM

I love Noir! Usually binge on the B movies Barbara Stanwyck made. Then there was Double Indemnity with Fred MacMurray. God Edward G. Robinson was great in that one. There was also a movie with Victor Mature & Richard Widmark. Widmark played this horrible psychopath, pushed a lady in a wheelchair down the stairs and had this ghoulish laugh. It was remade with David Caruso and Nic Cage, but I can't remember the name of it. And of course the modern homage to Noir, Bodyheat. Damn that's a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 69November 21, 2020 2:42 AM

I know this is heresy but by and large I am not a big fan of pre-60s films. Even the most hard boiled of these films I find rather quaint and corny.

So for me, noir means neo-noir. I think my favorite might be John Dahl’s The Last Seduction from 1994.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 21, 2020 2:57 AM

R69, the Widmark movie is Kiss of Death. It was his first film!

by Anonymousreply 71November 21, 2020 1:10 PM

For neo-noir I love Bound. So much to love about that movie, including Jennifer Tilly seducing Gina Gershon, which made me question my sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 72November 21, 2020 2:17 PM

Sounder

by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2020 3:04 PM

Eddie Muller on TCM's "Noir Alley" has great style and stories and really has made me get into film noir. I don't like all the films, but a lot of them have been terrific. There was a good one with Gene Nelson a few months back where he was trying to go straight, but mobsters kept him and his wife hostage. Very good and not a typical Gene Nelson film. Also another one with a rather deranged Jean Simmons, I think called "Angel Face" with a socko ending.

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2020 3:26 PM

[quote]Tony Lo Bianco was a hottie too

yep

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2020 3:32 PM

Double Indemnity - Stanwyck as a blond; MacMurray as a hottie. The dialogue makes me moist.

by Anonymousreply 76November 21, 2020 3:40 PM

Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast (Le belle and la bête) 1946. It's dark and beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 21, 2020 3:47 PM

Games -- with Simone and a very young James Caan.

by Anonymousreply 78November 21, 2020 3:48 PM

Thanks. Yes, Kiss of Death. I had no idea that was Widmark's first movie role. He was just horrible...I mean he relished his villainy.

by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2020 4:00 PM

R74 Yes, Angel Face with Jean Simmons. Mitchum was very sexy. They were an odd match.

by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2020 4:02 PM

Neo-noir? Try [italic]Red Rock West[/italic]. J.T. Walsh again scores as the Man You Love to Hate. Good twists to the story, funny, but not so funny it ruins the mood.

by Anonymousreply 81November 21, 2020 4:49 PM

Richard Widmark did a very unusual thing in "Kiss of Death": he squinted his eyes while smiling broadly while sometimes laughing, which is a very unusual thing to do. It made him seemed even more off-kilter and sinister and deranged, especially before pushing an old lady in a wheelchair down stairs.

by Anonymousreply 82November 21, 2020 10:04 PM

Please. "The Maltese Falcon" owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 83November 21, 2020 10:15 PM

Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast is many things, among them dark and beautiful.

But in no fucking universe is it "film noir".

by Anonymousreply 84November 21, 2020 10:16 PM

R74 - "Angel Face" was directed by Otto Preminger and also starred Robert Mitchum (whose career spanned several notable noirs, starting with "Out of the Past").

Preminger made Simmons' life hell on the set, treated her so badly that she was near to having a genuine breakdown. Finally, Mitchum took Preminger aside, shoved him against a wall, and told Preminger that if he didn't leave Simmons alone, Mitchum would beat the shit out of him.

Preminger then left Simmons alone for the rest of filming.

Mind, Mitchum was still a B leading man, and Preminger was an A list powerful director. Mitchum was one of those blokes who just didn't give a shit.

I think "Cape Fear" (the original, of course, not the bloated remake) fits into the film noir category and in it Mitchum created one of his finest rolse, that of the sociopath perp, Max Cady.

Bernard Herrmann wrote the uber noir score, with those ominous opening minor key phrases . . .

Below is a link to an article by Elmer Bernstein, himself no mean composer of film scores, on Herrmann's score for "Cape Fear"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 21, 2020 10:23 PM

^*roles

by Anonymousreply 86November 21, 2020 10:24 PM

[quote] Neo-noir? Try Red Rock West.

Love that one too, neck and neck with Dahl’s other film, The Last Seduction, which I mentioned above.

Not crazy about all of his films, but some of my favorite movies are John Dahl pictures. I enjoyed Joy Ride too.

by Anonymousreply 87November 21, 2020 10:27 PM

R64 - What the fuck are you talking about?!

They don't get away with it in "Double Indemnity" - she ends up dead and Walter Neff is bleeding out in the office after recording his confession, waiting for the police ambulance to come, called by his boss, Edward G. Robinson, who figured it out, anyway. Neff is going to the chair once the doctors get him well enough to walk to it . . .

by Anonymousreply 88November 21, 2020 10:28 PM

[quote] Preminger made Simmons' life hell on the set Preminger was a thick-headed brutish animal incapable of subtlety

by Anonymousreply 89November 21, 2020 10:28 PM

Robert Ryan featured in several: Crossfire, On Dangerous Ground, Clash by Night, Odds Against Tomorrow.

Ryan - the thinking man's heartthrob.

by Anonymousreply 90November 21, 2020 10:31 PM

[quote] Ryan - the thinking man's heartthrob.

Well, I wouldn't allow the brutish, brusque Robert Ryan near MY heart!

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2020 10:34 PM

R89 - "Preminger was a thick-headed brutish animal incapable of subtlety"

Which is why Mitchum's "approach" was so perfect.

by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2020 10:35 PM

R91 - Ryan was a leftwing liberal, married to a Quaker, active in anti-racist and free-speech causes during the 1950s and 1960s. He was educated at Dartmouth - where he held the heavyweight boxing title all four years there.

Don't believe everything you see in films - they're mostly made up by scriptwriters, you know. It's called "acting".

by Anonymousreply 93November 21, 2020 10:37 PM

Yes, many of us know Valerie Hobson was John Profumo's wife and that she stuck with him through and after the Keeler scandal.

"Kind Hearts and Coronets" is no more a film noir than Cocteau's "Beauty and the Beast".

It is a classically English dark comedy.

by Anonymousreply 94November 21, 2020 10:41 PM

Out of the Past 1947 Robert Mitchum, Kirk Douglas.

by Anonymousreply 95November 21, 2020 10:44 PM

R93 Ryan may have been all that and I think he's fine playing all those roles.

I found him jarring in Billy Budd. I know it's a British story by an American writer. and there may have been American sailors in the English navies. But his Mr Claggart is so very extreme and incomprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 96November 21, 2020 10:48 PM

Le Corbeau

by Anonymousreply 97November 21, 2020 11:00 PM

[quote] 'Diabolique is a great film' But it is not film noir … First it was not a Hollywood film

R7 So you insist that a French film cannot bear the French label 'noir'.

I call you arrogant!

by Anonymousreply 98November 21, 2020 11:02 PM

Tension, with Richard Basehart

by Anonymousreply 99November 21, 2020 11:09 PM

'Dear Murderer' is a tight, taut murder mystery.

With the extra attraction of two homosexual stars plus an adulteress in outlandish coiffeurs and Joan Collins' first husband as an oily spiv.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 21, 2020 11:18 PM

It Always Rains on Sunday is a good British noir

by Anonymousreply 101November 21, 2020 11:20 PM

[quote]Ryan - the thinking man's heartthrob.

He's gorgeous but I prefer Sterling Hayden.

by Anonymousreply 102November 21, 2020 11:27 PM

Is Hitchcock's Rope considered noir? If so, I cast my vote there. If not, it's a tie between Detour and Gun Crazy.

by Anonymousreply 103November 21, 2020 11:29 PM

The Big Combo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 22, 2020 12:05 AM

R96 - To me, Sterling Hayden was always a poor man's Robert Ryan. You can have hm. I'll take Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 105November 22, 2020 1:23 PM

R100 - It's a great film. Price was alleged to be bi: he had a longish marriage and two children, but once tried to commit suicide via the gas left on in a London rooming house.

Portman, of course, was always a well-known homo. He was also a very fine actor, and his last memorable role, I think, was as Soames Forsyte in the original television adaptation of Galsworthy's novel, which I think has always been under-appreciated. It's a really fine work, it's just not an important one.

Portman managed to capture the personal suffering Soames' worst personal failing also caused the man himself. It's not an easy thing to do given how unappealing a character Soames is.

by Anonymousreply 106November 22, 2020 1:29 PM

Mingo could get it!

by Anonymousreply 107November 22, 2020 1:36 PM

Angel Face is also my fabulous, so glad to see it here as it is not often mentioned. It is a very weird film, even after repeated viewings you can’t quite figure the character of Jean Simmons. Her relationship with Mitchum is one of the more toxic in Noir, especially as he doesn’t appear to like her very much. The court room part is a little boring though.

Diabolique is pretty noir, in my view. Folie à deux between women.

by Anonymousreply 108November 22, 2020 2:02 PM

^ favourite, not fabulous (though it is also that)

by Anonymousreply 109November 22, 2020 2:03 PM

DEAR MURDERER is one of the most outlandishly "gay" Noir flicks ever made. Portman and Price can't help but "out-queen" each other.

Portman is also nasty in WANTED FOR MURDER (46), once available on DVD in the US.

by Anonymousreply 110November 22, 2020 4:33 PM

Speaking of The Big Combo, this is said to be a scene that was CENSORED.

I wonder if anything between Fante & Mingo was censored.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111November 22, 2020 9:20 PM

huckleberry finn

by Anonymousreply 112November 22, 2020 9:27 PM

[quote] huckleberry finn

Are you talking about the late 30s version where he displays buttocks?

by Anonymousreply 113November 22, 2020 10:28 PM

Too Late for Tears, with DL fave Lizabeth Scott. While out for an evening drive in the Hollywood Hills, a man in a passing car mistakenly tosses a bag of money into Liz's car, and Liz is determined to keep it at all costs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114November 22, 2020 10:43 PM

R106

Eric Portman (1901 – 1969)

Eric Porter (1928 – 1995)

by Anonymousreply 115November 22, 2020 10:48 PM

R115 - Thanks. Sloppy on my part! It was Porter who played Soames Forsyte in the original "Saga".

by Anonymousreply 116November 23, 2020 1:27 PM

R91 - You got something against tall, dark, craggy, and brutish or something?!

by Anonymousreply 117November 23, 2020 1:29 PM

The homoerotic Brute Force

by Anonymousreply 118November 23, 2020 4:12 PM

"Ossessione", Visconti's version of The Postman Always Rings Twice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 23, 2020 5:32 PM

YouTube: Sexy Massimo and pretty blonde boy Jacques Sernas are available for your viewing pleasure in "Gioventu Perduta" (Pietro Germi, 1948).

No subtitles, but the plot is simple: rich boy criminal Jacques is pursued by detective Massimo, who uses Jacques' sister to get him.

by Anonymousreply 120November 23, 2020 6:16 PM

^ Which is also pretty gay!

by Anonymousreply 121November 23, 2020 6:56 PM

Some of my favorites:

Dead Reckoning with Bogart, Lizabeth Scott and a fantastic collection of supporting actors.

Too Late For Tears - (Thank you R114) where a woman is the villain - Lizabeth Scott, Dan Duryea, Arthur Kennedy, Don DeFore.

The Blue Dahlia - Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, William Bendix

This Gun For Hire - First pairing of Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake

Cry Wolf - Barbara Stanwyck, Errol Flynn and Richard Basehart

The Two Mrs Carrolls - Barbara Stanwyck, Bogart, Alexis Smith

Conflict - Bogart, Alexis Smith, Sydney Greenstreet

His Kind of Woman - Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Tim Holt, and a hilarious performance by Vincent Price

Murder My Sweet - Dick Powell and Claire Trevor

Lady in the Lake - Robert Montgomery, Audrey Totter, Lloyd Nolan, Jayne Meadows, Leon Ames

And, of course, the already named Double Indemnity, Out of the Past, Dark Passage, The Big Sleep, Angel Face, and The Maltese Falcon,

by Anonymousreply 122November 23, 2020 8:21 PM

Tom and Huck abduct Becky ,,,, circa 1947. twas the toast of Cannes.

by Anonymousreply 123November 24, 2020 2:54 PM

aNTHING with AUnt bEE.

by Anonymousreply 124November 24, 2020 3:37 PM

R100, R106 Eric Portman brought a Noir presence to everything he did. Terence Rattigan gave him the role of the closeted homosexual at the premier of his 'Separate Tables'. He wasn't physically attractive but he had that extraordinary voice which was both aristocratic and sordid, sinister, suave and ominous. His best role was the obsessed man on the run in '49th Parallel' in 1941.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 24, 2020 10:21 PM

I signed up for a two week trial of the Criterion Channel. Did a search for all the noir and am watching the Joan Crawford selections. Started with "Mildred Pierce" for the nth time, "Queen Bee," and last night I watched "Harriet Craig"! (1950)

WTF? First, I kind of loved it because we are seeing No Wire Hangers Joan in a role most like her Mommy Dearest persona. The sets are great and it's easy to see how this was once a stage play. Turns out Billy Haines designed the sets. I loved the weak-armed settee with the two round pillows. Joan and others had some nice dresses and gowns, but Joan's HAIR was an abomination! Just so harsh and (prison) matronly!

Last, HOW is this film considered NOIR? The sets and cinematography are not of noir style. One good shot of the staircase rails making great shadows really stood out. Joan being a rude, controlling bitch to family, household workers, and social/business acquaintances is not criminal. Manipulation and puppeteering behind the scenes doesn't have anywhere near the same dramatic impact as Myra Hudson deciding to double-cross her potential assassins before they can get to her in "Sudden Fear".

I enjoyed "Harriet Craig" but I would argue anyone that this is not film noir.

by Anonymousreply 126November 25, 2020 2:34 PM

LA Confidential. Do not @ me.

by Anonymousreply 127November 25, 2020 2:35 PM

The original "Craig's Wife' with Rosalind Russell has a murder or suicide occurring with someone who her husband had recently visited. Harriet gets all upset and does stuff to try to cover up and makes it clear to her husband she cared more about losing her house and possessions than she does about her husband himself. In "Harriet Craig", it's more about her trying to get in the way of her husband's promotion and taking a trip out of the country without her, among other things. It's a really good play, and I like both movie versions. It's not really a film noir, though, just a very good play that gave rise to two very good films. And yes, Joan is very much in controlling "Mommy Dearest" mode in "Harriet Craig". I think perhaps the use of shadows was borrowed from film noir though, but otherwise it's mainly a very compelling domestic drama. I love when the husband has his epiphany, tells her off and leaves.

by Anonymousreply 128November 25, 2020 7:58 PM

Well, I like 'A Woman's Vengeance' (1948) even though Zoltan Korda's direction is rather off-the-beat.

It’s unbalanced in that Charles Boyer has the top billing was the crux of the story is in the character who gets third billing and that is Jessica Tandy.

Jessica looks feeble and etiolated but she’s the woman who provides the vengeance. Unfortunately, Rachel Kempson (below) and Cedric Hardwicke aren't on screen long enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129December 12, 2020 5:48 AM

OK. Can't remember the name but Robert Ryan was in it and he was having an affair with some married woman, and it was all steamy with those wife beater undershirts and her husband knowing and someone gets murdered... Damn I want to remember more...help help.

Another one: Neo Noir: Body Heat. That movie was SO good.

by Anonymousreply 130December 13, 2020 7:15 PM

[quote] …but Robert Ryan was…

But Merle complained that he picked his nose and farted on the set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131December 13, 2020 7:24 PM

The Big Heat. Fritz Lang rules.

by Anonymousreply 132December 13, 2020 7:56 PM

Clash By Night. Barbara Stanwyck, Paul Douglas and Robert Ryan. What a hot mess.

by Anonymousreply 133December 14, 2020 3:50 AM

CLASH BY NIGHT is one of three Film Noirs Marilyn Monroe starred in: the others are DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK (52) and NIAGARA (53). One doesn't usually associate her with the "jandra."

by Anonymousreply 134December 14, 2020 12:55 PM

R134, I saw a clip of her in Niagra on youtube and she sounded SO much better with her natural sounding voice. I find her baby voice very creepy actually.

by Anonymousreply 135December 14, 2020 11:27 PM

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE would like a word with you R134.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136December 15, 2020 12:46 AM

Another vote for BODY HEAT

by Anonymousreply 137December 15, 2020 1:10 AM

For me, Asphalt Jungle is near perfect. Great script, direction by Huston, a very young Marilyn Monroe stealing the screen. Always satisfying to watch again.

by Anonymousreply 138December 15, 2020 1:24 AM

Because Christmas is coming:

[quote]My review of the 1944 #FilmNoir #ChristmasHoliday, a rare noir set during the holiday season starring #DeannaDurbin and #GeneKelly:

link to review in tweet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 15, 2020 2:48 AM

R137, it had elements of Double Indemnity. I think it was actually based on that James M Cain novel. But it was so well done. I loved the sort of back story, the Ned Racine (what a great name for a Noir character!) and the interplay with the cops and the judge, and the scenes at the diner.... and Kathleen Turner's most memorable line "You're not too bright...I like that in a man..." I loved Ted Danson in that movie too.

Ohhhh, Monroe in Niagra was something else!!! Damn. That movie makes my skin crawl but it is fascinating.

Would those Barbara Rush movies about the happy suburban housewives be Noir? I'm thinking of the one with Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak, Strangers When We Meet. About infidelity. And No Down Payment. They were always hyped as "steamy, illicit" and they are almost comical now. What was the name of the movie...Story on Page One with Rita Hayworth and Gig Young! Now that was good. Rarely ever see it on TV.

by Anonymousreply 140December 15, 2020 10:41 AM

Is Shadow of a Doubt considered noir?

by Anonymousreply 141December 15, 2020 10:47 AM

The classic encyclopedia on Film Noir (Silver and Ursini et al). includes SHADOW OF A DOUBT.

I forgot ASPHALT JUNGLE (but then she had only two scenes).

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY is the only Durbin film I ever want to see--and I can't (except on my muzzy bootleg videotape).

by Anonymousreply 142December 15, 2020 1:04 PM

[quote]Is Shadow of a Doubt considered noir?

I personally don't consider it to be noir. It's a terrific thriller, but it doesn't traffic in the fatalism or cynicism or dark destiny that noir does. Stylistically, it features none of the major noir tropes. No narration, no flashbacks, no intricate plot, no femme fatale. Not every noir has all of them, of course, but I don't think we should just slap the "Noir" label on every crime film of the 40s and 50s.

But what do I know? Eddie Muller, the so-called "Czar of Noir", considers it one of Hitchcock's 6 noirs -- along with STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, I CONFESS, THE WRONG MAN, VERTIGO, and PSYCHO. I wouldn't agree with most of those (and am somewhat surprised he leaves out NOTORIOUS and REAR WINDOW). Noir-adjacent, maybe. But that's because Hitchcock is Hitchcock. He's sui generis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143December 15, 2020 8:39 PM

Shadow of a Doubt is a personal favorite,...I'd love to see a remake....

by Anonymousreply 144December 15, 2020 8:43 PM

I'm quite fond of the original "A Kiss Before Dying" with Joanne Woodward. Does that count as noir, even if it was in colour?

by Anonymousreply 145December 15, 2020 8:50 PM

There was a remake and it wasn't memorable. I love Shadow of a Doubt because I lived in Santa Rosa. Much of the downtown was damaged and redone after the earthquakes in 1969.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 15, 2020 11:01 PM

I think so, R145. They did a remake but I'm blanking on who's in it and what it's called.

by Anonymousreply 147December 15, 2020 11:13 PM

"The Killing"

"He Walked by Night"

by Anonymousreply 148December 16, 2020 12:01 AM

Matt Dillon and (gulp) Sean Young starred in the "A Kiss Before Dying" remake.

by Anonymousreply 149December 16, 2020 12:05 AM

R139 and R142, I haven't seen "Christmas Holiday" but I did read the novel by Somerset Maugham and highly recommend it. The movie sounds odd but probably good so I hope it turns up on TCM someday.

by Anonymousreply 150December 16, 2020 12:44 AM

THE LETTER.

by Anonymousreply 151December 16, 2020 1:09 AM

Had no idea they remade Shadow of a Doubt in 1991 with Mark Harmon. I think it deserves another remake. A real one with real movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 152December 16, 2020 2:46 AM

Watching LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN now, for the first time, on YouTube. Halfway through and still waiting for the noir elements to show up...

A great noir-ish crime drama/romance I’d never seen before but recently bought on Blu ray from Kino Lorber, is KISS THE BLOOD OFF MY HANDS starring the gorgeous Burt Lancaster and the almost as lovely Joan Fontaine. Bit of an abrupt ending without much of a resolution, but still thoroughly engrossing.

by Anonymousreply 153December 16, 2020 4:41 AM

The original "D.OA." with Edmund O'Brien.

by Anonymousreply 154December 16, 2020 6:26 AM

Someone up above was lamenting that CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY is not easily available...It's on Youtube, entire and without commercials, and a sharp, clear version. It's been there for over 4 years...

by Anonymousreply 155December 16, 2020 12:59 PM

YEAH! The Edmund O'Brien version of D.O.A. was gripping. So good. I loved Leave Her to Heaven! Loved it. I think I've seen that movie a dozen times over the years. I always liked Gene Tierney. They say she dated JFK at one time.

by Anonymousreply 156December 16, 2020 1:07 PM

Blade Runner. Always Blade Runner. While some sub-trope it as “Neon” Noir, I love that aesthetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157December 16, 2020 1:09 PM

R157 - I agree. "Blade Runner" was fantastic, but I call the genre "dystopia noir". Should be on the list.

by Anonymousreply 158December 16, 2020 7:10 PM

"Notorious" is really a suspense-espionage, in my view. Most noir has a tawdry criminal undercurrent that is personal, not political. It owes too much to post-WWII The Enemy Is Amongst Us meme. You may as well call "Foreign Correspondent" a noir film, or "The Stranger" - which actually comes closer in my view.

Mind, "Notorious" is possible my favourite of all Hitchcock's films outside of "Rebecca" (which fits the formula more, although it's considered a "Gothic") and "Shadow of a Doubt". I just don't think it works as noir.

by Anonymousreply 159December 16, 2020 7:15 PM

The thing is, there are a lot of good Noir movies out here but they don't have big names attached so the often go unnoticed. But the id 40's and the 50's were a very productive time for noir.

by Anonymousreply 160December 17, 2020 1:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!