Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Irene Papas

She's a retired Greek actress and singer, 94 years of age. Apparently she's been suffering from Dementia for several years. Anyone here seen her films? I recently watched Zorba the Greek (1964) and found her to be a hauntingly beautiful presence onscreen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2020 5:01 AM

She's in "Iphigenia" (1977), free on Amazon Prime. Also in "Electra" (1962), free on YouTube. Both directed by Cacoyannis, who directed "Zorba". She's also in "Z" (1969), which you can watch on the Criterion Channel (free two-week trial).

by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2020 2:13 AM

Who hasn't seen her? She's very famous. No idea she was still alive. She was fierce.

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2020 2:27 AM

She got raves for playing Helen of Troy in "The Trojan Women."

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2020 2:27 AM

She's wonderful in Guns of Navarone. Only thing I've seen her in.

by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2020 2:36 AM

In Zorba

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 16, 2020 2:39 AM

Nice to remember her in her youth and active years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 16, 2020 2:41 AM

Irene taking no prisoners in The Guns of Navarone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 16, 2020 2:48 AM

In Z by Costa-Gavras (with Yves Montand)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 16, 2020 3:01 AM

As Catherine of Aragon in Anne of the Thousand Days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 16, 2020 3:07 AM

Bugger Yves Montand, Richard Burton, Anthony Quinn, James Cagney, Gregory Peck.

More importantly in The Moonspinners co-starring with HAYLEY MILLS!!!!! - my favorite fantasy adolescent film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 16, 2020 3:15 AM

And Joan Greenwood and Paula Negri and Peter McEnery.

by Anonymousreply 11November 16, 2020 4:24 AM

Irene Pappas is a legend. I had no idea she was still with us.

by Anonymousreply 12November 16, 2020 4:29 AM

She had a great singing voice as well. I always listen the hell out of those two albums she did with Vangelis around Eastertime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 16, 2020 4:36 AM

She's one of those actresses that was impressive in everything she appeared in.

by Anonymousreply 14November 16, 2020 4:49 AM

Irene Papas; 3 September 1926 (age 94). Papas was born as Irini Lelekou (Ειρήνη Λελέκου) in the village of Chiliomodi, outside Corinth, Greece.

Papas won Best Actress awards in 1961 at the Berlin International Film Festival for Antigone and in 1971 from the National Board of Review for The Trojan Women. Her career awards include the Golden Arrow Award in 1993 at Hamptons International Film Festival, and the Golden Lion Award in 2009 at the Venice Biennale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 16, 2020 5:20 AM

Irene Pappas is absolutely a legend!! She is the Greek Sophia Loren. I had no idea she was still alive. So sad she has dementia.

by Anonymousreply 16November 16, 2020 3:24 PM

I've got to oh, dear myself. I can't believe non of you bitches caught this. I guess there are very few here who were alive before 1990.

Pola Negri.

by Anonymousreply 17November 16, 2020 3:42 PM

She is about four months younger than DL fave Cloris Leachman. Two legends, both 94 years old!

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2020 5:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!