Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Things Millennials Find Edgy

Living at home until 35

Not getting married

Not owning a car

Coachella

TikTok

Food Trucks

Removing syllables, as in mrkt instead of market

Vocal Fry

by Anonymousreply 130November 21, 2020 10:54 PM

I think of Tiktok being more Zoomer. Instagram = Millennial

by Anonymousreply 1November 15, 2020 1:57 AM

Saying they are LGBTQAXYZ, green or pink hair, finding it "offensive" if someone breathes next to a piece of non-vegan food, consuming locally grown, blowing their small salaries on non-GMO organic meat substitutes, debt, talking endlessly about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2020 1:59 AM

Influencing.

by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2020 2:00 AM

OP - Those things aren't considered edgy for Millenials, they are the norm.

by Anonymousreply 4November 15, 2020 2:00 AM

[quote]Not getting married

That’s called being smart, especially considering more than 50% of marriages end in divorce. If you’re in a relationship but not married, and you have had enough, you can just end it right then and there without all the legal hassle (unless you bought property together).

by Anonymousreply 5November 15, 2020 2:05 AM

[quote]Not owning a car

This is bullshit. Unless they live in somewhere like NYC, most millennials have a car.

by Anonymousreply 6November 15, 2020 2:07 AM

Up talking and the end of sentences. so annoying.

by Anonymousreply 7November 15, 2020 2:18 AM

Don't you mean removing vowels? The syllables are still there.

by Anonymousreply 8November 15, 2020 2:20 AM

[quote]Living at home until 35

They can thank the Boomers for making real estate completely unaffordable.

by Anonymousreply 9November 15, 2020 2:38 AM

Tiktok is Gen Z not Millennials.

Removing syllables is texting shorthand. It's easy and convenient.

by Anonymousreply 10November 15, 2020 2:39 AM

"Saying they are LGBTQAXYZ, green or pink hair, finding it "offensive" if someone breathes next to a piece of non-vegan food, consuming locally grown, blowing their small salaries on non-GMO organic meat substitutes, debt, talking endlessly about themselves."

Like 1% of the population is vegan.....weird that you think this applies to all millennials

by Anonymousreply 11November 15, 2020 2:40 AM

Things Eldergay Republicans Find Edgy:

1.Being unmarried but trashing straight people for not marrying as if it's a character flaw

2.Making generalizations about millennials, even though they don't know what a millennial is. College kids aren't millennials

3.Not owning a car but trashing others for not owning a car

4.Bitching about millennials because they didn't vote for Trump like old people did

by Anonymousreply 12November 15, 2020 2:43 AM

Tiktok is more of a Gen Z thing

Also COVID pandemic makes two global recessions millennials have lived through and barely 10 years apart. So yes living with extended family is common

by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2020 5:02 AM

A surviveable planet.

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2020 5:12 AM

Fresh Air on NPR

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2020 5:14 AM

I'm 33 and find none of those things "edgey," OP.

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2020 5:39 AM

Young millennials or old millennials? Our experiences are so divergent that it makes no sense to lump us into the same generation.

by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2020 5:41 AM

This thread is full of excuses, must have hit too close to home.

"Living at home...Boomers fault and or covid."

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2020 11:45 AM

"influences" is probably the most annoying one. Basically attention whores selling shit on Youtube and Instagram. "look how cool I am, if you want to be like me there is a link below for 10% off" Full disclosure, I get a kickback as well as Youtube money for every click.

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2020 11:50 AM

Things that eldergays obsess about: Millenials.

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2020 12:18 PM

[quote] especially considering more than 50% of marriages end in divorce

This is an outdated statistic from 25 years ago. The US divorce rate is now about 30%.

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2020 12:20 PM

[quote] Tiktok is Gen Z not Millennials.

Datalounge eldergays think anyone under 40 is a Millennial.

by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2020 12:23 PM

Oh please, Elder gays know that Millennials still pay attention to Tiktok as much as Gen Z. Guarantee every Millennial has some kind of Tiktok favorite they can point to.

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2020 12:29 PM

[quote]Removing syllables is texting shorthand. It's easy and convenient.

And stupid AF.

by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2020 12:39 PM

Taking a CRAP and NOT wiping your ass.

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2020 12:53 PM

Not having a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 26November 15, 2020 12:55 PM

Taking themselves *way* too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2020 12:55 PM

[QUOTE] This is an outdated statistic from 25 years ago. The US divorce rate is now about 30%.

Uhh, yeah that’s because many people aren’t getting married anymore. People who had no business getting married in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 28November 15, 2020 1:05 PM

r24 nobody's going to write in complete sentences when they're texting. That's ridiculous. Textspeak is like shorthand from the old-timey days you remember.

by Anonymousreply 29November 15, 2020 1:05 PM

[quote]Not having a sense of humor.

Boomers have cornered the market on this. No generation has taken itself more seriously.

by Anonymousreply 30November 15, 2020 1:06 PM

Donald Trump won in 2016 and came within a few cunt hairs of winning again in 2020 thanks to Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 31November 15, 2020 1:08 PM

Terrible grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Using a calculator to do simple math.

by Anonymousreply 32November 15, 2020 1:12 PM

[QUOTE] Using a calculator to do simple math.

Using a calculator to do math. The horrors!

What the hell else are you supposed to do with a calculator? 😂

by Anonymousreply 33November 15, 2020 1:14 PM

For every Boomer who hates a Millennial and every Millennial who hates a Boomer there's a whole generation in between who thinks you're both ridiculous cunts.

by Anonymousreply 34November 15, 2020 1:15 PM

fucking vaping

by Anonymousreply 35November 15, 2020 1:19 PM

[quote]Making generalizations about millennials, even though they don't know what a millennial is. College kids aren't millennials

It's been like this for years on DL, and I realized a while back that it's like this with all generational divide trolls, they call anyone under 50 a "Millennial."

I'm 48 and half the things on here that people complain about were things that were in when I was a teen, like Manic Panic hair dye and parents complaining about kids using calculators for math instead of doing it in their heads.

by Anonymousreply 36November 15, 2020 1:20 PM

Saying "like" 3 times in each sentence.

by Anonymousreply 37November 15, 2020 1:29 PM

R33, my colleagues at my last job were both math majors in their early 30s, and they did not know their multiplication tables by heart. They could not add 32 + 23 + 5 in their heads. They actually carried hand calculators around in their front shirt pockets, a technology that was prevalent when I was in high school in the early 70s. Talk about old school! I was appalled. But thanks for your insightful comment!

by Anonymousreply 38November 15, 2020 1:29 PM

[quote] Uhh, yeah that’s because many people aren’t getting married anymore.

This is partly true, but all things being equal, Millennials who do get married tend to stay married. Getting married and divorced repeatedly does seem to be a thing largely of the Boomer generation.

by Anonymousreply 39November 15, 2020 1:30 PM

That’s because boomers treat marriage like a rite of passage. They still do, especially in the corporate environment where they look down on anyone without a gold wedding band as “unstable.” Millennials were the ones who finally broke the vicious cycle. Why gay men would be in here scolding anyone about not getting married is unconscionable when that mindset has been used to discriminate against gays in the workplace and kept us closeted for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 40November 15, 2020 1:36 PM

Millennials are obsessed with being introverts - half the content on any popular meme account (at least pre-Covid) is about hating having to follow through with social plans.

by Anonymousreply 41November 15, 2020 1:41 PM

Taking endless loads during a pandemic and insisting you're an idiot for not trusting Truvada!!!

by Anonymousreply 42November 15, 2020 1:43 PM

R22 - the age range seems to have been increased to everyone under 50 AND now includes the Generation X & Y who have been re-branded as "Millennials" too.

Also - Millennials seems to be what really, really old people call all young people i.e. everyone under 50.

by Anonymousreply 43November 15, 2020 1:50 PM

Bathing

by Anonymousreply 44November 15, 2020 2:02 PM

R43 Old people think young people all are Millennials because no one ever talked about Gen Xers. We entered the working world pretty seamlessly. We had a lot of job opportunities, and we respected hierarchy and were mostly brought up with the understanding that young, inexperienced people pay dues and work their ways up. When I was in my mid-20s and managed college interns, my boomer bosses and my Gen X peers and I all had the same complaints and confusion about their need for constant affirmation, their extreme sensitivity to criticism, their unprofessional casualness and their total lack of respect for hierarchical management. The term "lateral management" was not in use then, but Millennials marched into offices and just foisted it upon the rest of us.

But as a Gen Xer, I can say we aren't a monolith, and as a generation we are less homogenous than Millenials are. We're independent minded and like to work independently with our own ways of doing things, so that makes us different. The cynical 1990s grunge era probably encouraged this attitude during our formative years. Older Gen Xers belong to an older way of doing things, having gone through school and in some cases college without any or much use of technology, and younger ones like me were wired by the end of high school. Nerds and gay people like me also forged virtual relationships at young ages and so we were conditioned for "dating" apps etc., whereas people just a couple years older or who were more mainstream and popular may have missed that world entirely. My sister married her highschool sweetheart and has never had any version of a virtual friendship, much less courted that way. I've found almost all my sex partners and gay friends through technology. However, I'm also old enough that monogamous relationships seem to me like (usually) the only stable and "normal" relationships, whereas Millennials just kind of seem to orgy in and out with their friend groups indiscriminately. Everything they do is groupthink and it freaks me out as a fiercely independent Xer.

by Anonymousreply 45November 15, 2020 2:05 PM

What I find really annoying are Gen Xers (my gen) who don't want to act like grown ups and try to keep up with the millennial and other generations. Your kids don't want you on Tik Tok and neither do your friends. You don't have to act "old" but you don't have to act like you're in your twenties. Y Learn from Madonna. ou'll just end up looking pathetic to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 46November 15, 2020 2:09 PM

R46 I don't know any Gen Xers who do any version of that, thankfully. However, I do know quite a few who have to my extreme horror "curated" their children as online art projects, creating Instagram accounts for them and posting weirdly objectifying photos, bizarre quotes from them that they present as deep and profound or uncannily eerie ceaselessly on social media. I honestly find it disturbing, and I'm sure that's a thing unique to Gen Xers. Maybe some older Millennials do it, too, but too many of my longtime Gen X friends have turned their young children into weird online multimedia projects and I do worry how those kids will turn out. They act like their children's publicists.

by Anonymousreply 47November 15, 2020 2:16 PM

This thread has some of the weirdest notions about generations. OP’s list is just a diatribe against young people, regardless of which generation they fall in. R45 simply projects his own experience onto Xers - no Xer had “a lot of job opportunities” unless they had a niche skill. The entire premise of “Friends” spells that out.

by Anonymousreply 48November 15, 2020 2:21 PM

R48 Compared to Millennials, Gen Xers had a hell of a lot of post-college opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 49November 15, 2020 2:26 PM

[quote]That’s because boomers treat marriage like a rite of passage. They still do, especially in the corporate environment where they look down on anyone without a gold wedding band as “unstable.” Millennials were the ones who finally broke the vicious cycle.

Oh, hi!

by Anonymousreply 50November 15, 2020 2:46 PM

R4 I think his point might be that they fancy themselves inherently edgy....That proclaiming these things as “the norm”, knowing full well it’s not the norm for people like OP, makes them feel edgy. It’s funny because OP is right, but it also reinforces the idea of OP being out of touch. Everybody wins!

by Anonymousreply 51November 15, 2020 3:48 PM

[quote] Using a calculator to do simple math.

[quote] my colleagues at my last job were both math majors in their early 30s, and they did not know their multiplication tables by heart. They could not add 32 + 23 + 5 in their heads.

I resemble these remarks.

by Anonymousreply 52November 15, 2020 3:50 PM

I've always sucked at math and need a calculator for simple addition and subtraction. That's just the way it is with some people.

by Anonymousreply 53November 15, 2020 3:52 PM

Not mutilating their new-born sons.

by Anonymousreply 54November 15, 2020 5:58 PM

[quote]Millennials are obsessed with being introverts - half the content on any popular meme account (at least pre-Covid) is about hating having to follow through with social plans.

Can you blame them when there are so many Boomer assholes like you? No wonder Millennials prefer to keep to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 55November 15, 2020 6:05 PM

About half the people I know can't calculate a tip in their heads. That includes accountants I know. 20 percent is simple. 15 percent is slightly less simple but still simple.

by Anonymousreply 56November 15, 2020 6:10 PM

Dressing “retro”. 80’s floppy hat, multi-colored high tops or Chucks, ironic T-shirts’ etc.

Add to that, wearing Wellington farm boots and wear yoga or stretch pants with blousey oversized top. “Edgy”, which = “I don’t care enough about my job or what I look like to wear clothing appropriate to my daily situation.”

by Anonymousreply 57November 15, 2020 6:15 PM

The past participle has disappeared among millennials.

by Anonymousreply 58November 15, 2020 6:17 PM

Old neighbor men.

by Anonymousreply 59November 15, 2020 6:20 PM

Some examples, r58.

by Anonymousreply 60November 15, 2020 6:21 PM

Calling guys "daddy" while receiving hot anal injections

by Anonymousreply 61November 15, 2020 6:21 PM

Billie Eilish style of “singing” which is basically whispering To music.

by Anonymousreply 62November 15, 2020 6:25 PM

Not having their kids vaccinated. Almost all of my antivaxxer patients are Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 63November 15, 2020 6:29 PM

[quote]Not mutilating their new-born sons.

Jesus Christ will you just fucking die already.

by Anonymousreply 64November 15, 2020 6:52 PM

[quote] Datalounge eldergays think anyone under 55 is a Millennial.

Fixed

by Anonymousreply 65November 15, 2020 6:56 PM

[quote]Billie Eilish style of “singing” which is basically whispering To music.

Billie isn’t a Millennial you idiot - she’s Generation Z.

You are further proof that Boomers automatically assume anyone under 50 is a Millennial.

by Anonymousreply 66November 15, 2020 7:01 PM

OP, TikTok isn't for Millennials, it's for Gen Z. Millennials are too old for that app.

by Anonymousreply 67November 15, 2020 7:03 PM

DL Eldergays are also particularly triggered as many of them have little to no interaction with anyone under 50.

Versus their same age hetero peers who have kids they see daily and are thus aware of what they're listening to, what apps they're using, etc.

(And being a college professors is not the same thing, sorry.)

by Anonymousreply 68November 15, 2020 7:04 PM

[quote] That’s because boomers treat marriage like a rite of passage.

They’ve done likewise with divorce.

by Anonymousreply 69November 15, 2020 7:14 PM

I guess DL Eldergays don't have contact with nieces or nephews.

by Anonymousreply 70November 15, 2020 7:27 PM

I prefer Billie Eilish's singing style to the two decades of every "good singer" being an American Idol-approved Belter. Powerhouse singing is not the only way it can be done.

by Anonymousreply 71November 15, 2020 7:31 PM

Double anal with a piss finish

by Anonymousreply 72November 15, 2020 7:35 PM

R66 I know that, fuckface , just saying a lot of Eilish’s fans are Millennial. Where did I say she’s millennial, moron? I work with younger end of Gen Z population frequently, they’re not into Billie Eilish they’re into K-pop more than her. And yes, most of my moronic anti-vaxxer patients/ parents are Millennials. Oh and not a boomer, don’t have to be a boomer to make fun of Millennials.

Can’t stand Billie Eilish whisper singing and also can’t stand American Idol belters without ounce of subtlety either. It’s not either/ or. Neither of those styles are good singing. Why is it always a case of either/ or?

by Anonymousreply 73November 15, 2020 7:35 PM

Most don't have contact with any family, R70.

by Anonymousreply 74November 15, 2020 7:36 PM

R2 I don’t know any millenial vegetarians, let alone vegans. Wish I did.

I think they’re more likely to be “blowing their salary” on “artisanal meat, cocktails, coffee...”

by Anonymousreply 75November 15, 2020 7:39 PM

Millennial antivaxxers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 15, 2020 7:40 PM

R73 You generalized Eilish as generally applicable yo the Millennial generation, and so I generalized American Idol belters in the same way because they've stood out to me as many younger people's singular definition of "good singer." People still go bonkers when Christina Aguilera belts, and it's practically all she does. Lady Gaga depends less on her Idol-friendly belting but when she started doing it more, people started saying, "wow, she can SING!" And as I said, I'd rather hear Eilish's style than another young woman who sounds like she's trying to work some sputum up from her lower lungs.

by Anonymousreply 77November 15, 2020 7:42 PM

Well said, R45

by Anonymousreply 78November 15, 2020 7:43 PM

I'm Gen X and so far I prefer Gen Z to Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 79November 15, 2020 7:45 PM

R75 My experience is opposite from yours regarding Millennial vegans and vegetarians. I’m 40 so I’m a younger Gen X, except for eggs and the very occasional bivalves I’m vegetarian. A lot of vegetarians and vegans I know are in their late 20s to late 30s, in fact I find younger Millennials to be very open to idea of decreasing consumption of animal products fir ethical reasons and to decrease greenhouse pollution.

by Anonymousreply 80November 15, 2020 7:46 PM

Oh, yeah, anti-vaxx and all kinds of conspiracy theories. Young people who may have been interested in history would have turned on the History Channel, which only plays two things: Ancient Aliens and Nazi abuses and technologies. That's the perfect recipe to create QAnon believers. Along came Bernie and Trump, both saying to tear down the government brick by brick, and you've got a reckless and aimless generation that wants to destroy everything because everything is evil but refuses to come up with a new plan for anything. They distrust all instititions and systems but will not entertain any discussion of any system that would be better and simultaneously expect that if they succeed in destroying all governmental systems, all the services they rely on will continue as they always have. Many are very highly educated and completely clueless.

by Anonymousreply 81November 15, 2020 7:46 PM

I have known a lot of vegetarians my age (42/gen X) and almost every single one of them drinks like a fish and lives on french fries or cheese fries, nachos, hummus and chips, and now of course avocado toast and quinoa. But a hell of a lot of trash food.

by Anonymousreply 82November 15, 2020 7:48 PM

R80 I’m a younger Gen Xer, too, lol. I agree with you in that millennials (and Z, I guess) are not appalled by vegetarianism/veganism, the way people my age were/are. For example, I’ve known them to eat at vegan restaurants even though they aren’t vegan. I like that. Also had a coworker who bought vegan cupcakes but wasn’t even a vegetarian. He just liked them.

I’m in NYC, by the way. And yeah, I bitch about NYC all the time on here, BUT I do appreciate it’s vegan food.

by Anonymousreply 83November 15, 2020 7:52 PM

I’m R75 ^

by Anonymousreply 84November 15, 2020 7:53 PM

R82 Me too. But to be fair, I think Gen X people became vegans and vegetarians at a time when there weren’t a lot of those foods on the market let alone restaurants. So a lot of them turned to vegetarian junk food. There are way more options now.

by Anonymousreply 85November 15, 2020 7:53 PM

Op's list is just a rant against things millenials do or think. So are some of the subsequent posts. To be fair, the "Things Eldergays find Edgy" ended up attracting similar rants against the boomers. So why not just throw "edgy" out and title these threads: "Things you don't like about (insert your hated generation here). And yes, I realize this thread was somewhat in retaliation against the smart ass who started the eldergay one.

I am one of the older members of GenX. Unlike my peers, I was way ahead of the curve on tech, so I was closer to the younger members of my generation and the older millenials. That seems to be my sweet spot in friendships too. I have two Z kids from a previous marriage. My job indirectly keeps me up on SM. But I joke around with them about how I know about using the "instachat" and "snapgram". I have to admit though, I can't stand seeing guys my age making fools of themselves trying to live their lives like they are still in their twenties. My parents live in Augusta GA close to the National golf club (Where they play the Masters). I see these guys up there all the time, sporting the hipster fashion regime. It is so desperate.

by Anonymousreply 86November 15, 2020 7:53 PM

r34, spot on!!

by Anonymousreply 87November 15, 2020 7:59 PM

I also think it's odd that most people consider vegetarianism healthier, and vegetarians often are the granola type who eat organic and non-GMO (This applies to me, as well; I'm not being patronizing, just stating an observation.), yet they often subsist on bizarre synethetic "impossible meat" and processed soy frankenfoods and "qorn" etc. Kinda bizarre.

A German girl I've watched on YouTube (I mentioned her in another thread and I swear I am not advertising for her!) is a vegetarian Millennial, and I find that interesting. She said one thing she likes better about the US is that there are so many more options for vegetarians here than in Germany, where it's all meat and sausage, but she still says she eats mostly bread and cheese and vegetable sandwiches. That sounds like a poor diet but I wonder if it's more healthful than those of vegetarians who eat processed factory foods to get protein.

by Anonymousreply 88November 15, 2020 8:00 PM

R88, all people eat processed factory foods, not just vegetarians

by Anonymousreply 89November 15, 2020 8:02 PM

R45 please marry me!

by Anonymousreply 90November 15, 2020 8:02 PM

I’m an older millennial, I feel like PETA was sort of a millennial edgelord magnet - mostly for girls who were only interested in protesting things if they can wear a sexy Halloween costume while doing it. Is PETA even a thing anymore? It feels very 2010.

Emo was another older millennial “I’m edgy” phenomenon.

Telling your parents that you will never have kids because it’s bad for the environment seems like the Millennial version of Gen X’s telling your parents you’re an atheist.

Announcing that you’re quitting or taking a break from social media

Straight girls kissing each other at bars for attention was a millennial thing, now it’s straight boys kissing each other on Tik tok for attention with the Gen Z kids.

by Anonymousreply 91November 15, 2020 8:06 PM

R90 Maybe if you make a strong argument for why I'd want to give up my freedom and my own bed without another steamy body in it. :)

by Anonymousreply 92November 15, 2020 8:06 PM

R91 PETA as a teen cause and girls making out with girls were as common in the 1990s as a Trumpster in Florida. I think the 90s is when people started throwing red paint at fur coats and lots of celebs did PETA ads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 15, 2020 8:10 PM

R92, I rescind my offer. ;)

by Anonymousreply 94November 15, 2020 8:10 PM

R88 I’ve posted this a few times on here but I don’t mind pointing it out again. A lot of us who are vegans and vegetarians don’t adopt that way of eating fire health reasons, but instead because we don’t want to contribute to the suffering of animals.

I don’t drink too much, but I certainly eat many sweets. And I sure do enjoy vegan junk food, and that includes Beyond Meat, etc.

And yes, processed foods are not good for you and should be eaten in moderation. Eating a lot of vegetables and fruits is the way to go.

by Anonymousreply 95November 15, 2020 8:11 PM

Antivaxx is Gen X, not Millennials. Popularized by them too

by Anonymousreply 96November 15, 2020 8:12 PM

Using forbidden words like "winner", and "loser"!

by Anonymousreply 97November 15, 2020 8:13 PM

R91 Yes, PETA is still “a thing,” like any other advocacy group with a mission. Ingrid Newkirk didn’t throw up her hands and disband the organization just because you stopped paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 98November 15, 2020 8:14 PM

R95 As I said, I wasn't being critical about dietary habits, just observing them with curiosity. A lot of people of my generation (X) assume vegetarian is meant to be healthful and when someone announces they are a vegetarian, it comes from a high and mighty place. That's how it was a lot of the time decades ago. I am eating a lot less meat than ever before, entirely because of animal farming practices, both humanitarian interests and antibiotic practices that are cultivating zoonotic superbugs.

I stopped eating pork years ago when I learned how pigs are treated. It's like The Handmaiden's Tale. I stopped eating farmed seafood years ago for humanitarian and environmental reasons. Meat I buy is expensive because I exclusively (except at restaurants) buy animal products, including eggs, sold as having been humanely raised without antibiotics. So that limits my meat consumption. And the less I eat, the less I want to eat. I do still drink milk in coffee and sometimes on cereal. Almond milk is putrid and ya can't teach an old dog some new tricks!

by Anonymousreply 99November 15, 2020 8:22 PM

[quote]The Handmaiden's Tale...ya can't teach an old dog some new tricks!

Can we at least teach the old dog that it is "The Handmaid's Tale"?

by Anonymousreply 100November 15, 2020 8:26 PM

R77 I didn’t generalize shit, you either can’t read or you’re just thin-skinned and disproportionately took what I said about Eilish as being oh so offensive.

by Anonymousreply 101November 15, 2020 8:26 PM

R62 I don't know any Millennial who listens to that mouth breathing amoeba. She's Gen X music exec's idea of someone talentless they can push on kids today aka Gen Z

by Anonymousreply 102November 15, 2020 8:28 PM

[quote]Donald Trump won in 2016 and came within a few cunt hairs of winning again in 2020 thanks to Boomers.

Er, not wholly the fault of the Boomers as Trump lost a bit of support from older voters, it was also the massive 18-29 cohort of voters who refused to show up to vote as usual, surging to an underwhelming 17% of the electorate from a more typical 16% of the electorate in 2016!

Yes, yes dear, we know YOU voted! No need to chime in with that, we already know.

by Anonymousreply 103November 15, 2020 8:59 PM

Maybe elders should ask themselves why so many of their peers are so taken in by Trump R103?

by Anonymousreply 104November 15, 2020 9:04 PM

[QUOTE] Er, not wholly the fault of the Boomers as Trump lost a bit of support from older voters, it was also the massive 18-29 cohort of voters who refused to show up to vote as usual, surging to an underwhelming 17% of the electorate from a more typical 16% of the electorate in 2016!

Well I voted, R103. For Joe. Fucking. Biden. And. Kamala. Harris. I was one of the first people in line on Tuesday morning to cast my ballot.

by Anonymousreply 105November 15, 2020 11:33 PM

r88, she must live in the hicks, because when I was in Berlin 3 years ago, there were a lot of vegan places in the hipper neighborhoods. The bulk of them were Asian though.

by Anonymousreply 106November 16, 2020 12:10 AM

"They can thank the Boomers for making real estate completely unaffordable."

I guess that's what YOU tell yourself, basement dweller. But you don't have to be filthy rich to live in an apartment, especially with a roommate or two to offset expenses. But that's what lazy fucks tell themselves "I'm still living with Mommy and Daddy even though I'm 30 because getting a place of my own is TOO EXPENSIVE!"

by Anonymousreply 107November 16, 2020 12:26 AM

I'm a Millennial and I own an apartment in Manhattan.

Most of my friends own apartments or, over the past few years as they've had kids, houses in the suburbs.

But we are the lucky ones, the children of the upper middle class with good jobs, Boomer parents who will kick in towards the down payment, and zero college debt.

Unlike Boomers, class differences in our generation loom large and are not easy to make up, especially if you're paying off a six-figure amount of college debt.

That's the real difference

by Anonymousreply 108November 16, 2020 12:33 AM

[quote]I guess that's what YOU tell yourself, basement dweller.

I’ll have you know some of us live in the apartment above the garage!

by Anonymousreply 109November 16, 2020 12:37 AM

Cocktails in mason jars

by Anonymousreply 110November 16, 2020 12:45 AM

r107 = another out of touch Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 111November 16, 2020 12:50 AM

[quote] But you don't have to be filthy rich to live in an apartment, especially with a roommate or two to offset expenses.

You don't have to be filthy rich, but you need more money than you're making. Even with a roommate many areas are unaffordable for people in their twenties.

by Anonymousreply 112November 16, 2020 12:50 AM

[quote]Boomer parents who will kick in towards the down payment, and zero college debt.

THIS.

Most of the people I know who are Millennials and later Gen Xers got help from their parents with a down payment (sometimes more than that) and they had no student loan debt. If they don't have either of these things, buying their own home can be next to impossible.

by Anonymousreply 113November 16, 2020 12:52 AM

[quote]Older Gen Xers belong to an older way of doing things, having gone through school and in some cases college without any or much use of technology

I hear this all the time and just don't think it's true. I went to small Midwestern schools and we had Apple //e and Commodore computers by the time I was in 7th grade in 1984; my dad was a math teacher and was taking computer classes for his certification by the late 1970s, and used TRS-80s in the classroom by 1981.

I just can't reconcile being in a shitty tiny Kansas junior high school with maybe 150 students total and having a whole classroom full of Apple //e computers in 1984 with all the other GenXers who say they didn't start using computers until the late 1980s or 1990s. How did people my age in normal towns and even large cities have LESS computer experience than I did?

It seems like people are talking about the internet and not computers when they say "GenX didn't grow up with computers." We absolutely did. But it's true that most people hadn't gone online until the mid 1990s or later, when a lot of GenXers were already out of college and in the workforce.

by Anonymousreply 114November 16, 2020 1:16 AM

R114 is right.

by Anonymousreply 115November 16, 2020 1:17 AM

r114 late Gen Xer here and yes we had Apple and Tandy computers in middle school and high school, but you have to remember that the Internet and tech in general really didn't catch on until the tail end of the 90s. I think we tend to forget that. When the Internet and cell phones and various software came out earlier in the 90s, everybody and their brother didn't go out and get it right away, it took years to be integrated into everyday life.

Gen Xers had to learn a lot of tech on the job, and for many of us it was sink or swim.

by Anonymousreply 116November 16, 2020 1:25 AM

R111 = "Boomer" hating dipshit troll who still lives with Momsy and Popsy

by Anonymousreply 117November 16, 2020 2:07 AM

Tillandsia

Selfies from the edge of Half Dome

by Anonymousreply 118November 16, 2020 2:18 AM

You really have to be a little more specific than saying "The internet".

The World Wide Web, which came into being in 1993, is what most people think of as the internet. It is made up of three primary protocols: Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), Uniform Resource Locator (URL), and Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP).

In 1991, gopher came online, which was basically a menu driven text protocol. It was overtaken by WWW for obvious reasons. And then you go back to the seventies for things like FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and our old friend email which was first launched on arpanet. If you were "online" in the eighties, it was mainly through bulletin boards and other dial up services.

So saying that you didn't get into the 'internet" until the late nineties is not that far behind the curve. Especially considering how expensive it was at first if you were accessing through a service like AOL or Compuserve.

I knew about all of this when it came out. To be honest, I had to go with electrical engineering because my university only launched a computer engineering / science curriculum when I was in my Junior year. At that time, I was already working for a company out of silicon valley while going to school in Alabama.

And for those of you blaming Trump on the boomers I will admit that they certainly do bear some responsibility, However, I suggest you take a look at the age group of the proud boys and those forward thinking millenials that marched in charlottesville. I wouldn't be surprised if those groups made up a big portion of the abysmal voting percentage in that age group.

by Anonymousreply 119November 16, 2020 3:17 AM

No, I don't have to be more specific, R119, because this is a casual conversation, and there was no need to talk about BBSes or gopher or bang paths or what have you, especially when my point was that it seems those who say "GenX didn't grow up with computers" usually mean "GenX didn't grow up online."

by Anonymousreply 120November 16, 2020 3:28 AM

There is no scientific evidence that GMOs are harmful to anyone's health but who needs evidence when they have emotion and prejudices to go by. All kinds of drugs and hormones are produced by inserting foreign genes into bacteria because it's easier to produce large quantities of purer product this way. Nobody is boycotting these products.

by Anonymousreply 121November 16, 2020 3:35 AM

[quote]Textspeak is like shorthand from the old-timey days you remember.

Like totally totally get it. Like totally.

by Anonymousreply 122November 16, 2020 5:41 AM

R122 is funny because that is how Millennials speak.

by Anonymousreply 123November 16, 2020 6:01 AM

[quote]Oh, yeah, anti-vaxx and all kinds of conspiracy theories.

Uh, I know a few Boomers like that too. All older woman in the late 60's and 70's. Spouting Trumpism and how they dont trust the media, "both sides are evil" and wait for it.... THEY DO THEIR RESEARCH! They like to brag about how smart they are.

by Anonymousreply 124November 16, 2020 6:06 AM

[quote] Unlike Boomers, class differences in our generation loom large and are not easy to make up, especially if you're paying off a six-figure amount of college debt.

Typical. Millenials are just like their Boomer parents making excuses. You know, there is a different reality that says if you were really a struggling economic class, you would not have rich Boomer parents kicking in thousands of dollars to make your life as charmed as you imagine it should be.

by Anonymousreply 125November 16, 2020 6:21 AM

R125 Plenty of Xers have Boomer parents and have made that same complaint for years

by Anonymousreply 126November 16, 2020 6:26 AM

R122 sounds more like Valley Girls from the 80s

by Anonymousreply 127November 16, 2020 6:28 AM

R125 must be senile already.

by Anonymousreply 128November 16, 2020 9:25 AM

Turning down bitter old queens.

by Anonymousreply 129November 16, 2020 10:36 AM

r127, Valley Girl upspeak really never went away.

by Anonymousreply 130November 21, 2020 10:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!