Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is Oprah So Well-Respected?

I don't get her appeal. Someone please explain it to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2020 5:00 PM

She exudes enormous warmth.

by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2020 2:18 PM

I like her a lot. What is that screenshot from, OP? She looks like a midget in that frame.

by Anonymousreply 2November 14, 2020 2:19 PM

Mammy complex among Karens. She’s comforting.

by Anonymousreply 3November 14, 2020 2:19 PM

R1, if she exudes any more warmth, we are going to have to call a plumber.

by Anonymousreply 4November 14, 2020 2:20 PM

Answer: Fraus. Suburban white and urban working-class black women. That's why.

by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2020 2:20 PM

Because she worked hard to get where she is. She started in small venues and her popularity grew.

by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2020 2:22 PM

R5, why do they fall for that shit? Are women really that gullible?

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2020 2:24 PM

She's the rare person in this day and age who came from nothing and became very successful.

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2020 2:31 PM

R8, did Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2020 2:57 PM

R9 Are you comparing Hitler to Oprah?

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2020 3:21 PM

She's an overweight, not stereotypically attractive black woman from a disadvantaged background that rose to the very top of the American media landscape. Even if you don't like her, you have to marvel at what she's accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2020 3:24 PM

R11, don't tell me what I can and cannot marvel.

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2020 3:35 PM

Started poor, got real rich, acquired media power, drew other famous people to her for exposure and perks.

by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2020 6:15 PM

For her stunning, show-stopping role in "The Color Purple".

by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2020 6:54 PM

NEGROES IN THE HOUSE! NEGROES IN THE HOUSE!

by Anonymousreply 15November 14, 2020 6:57 PM

R14, do you suppose she and Whoopie still get it on? I heard Gayle likes to watch.

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2020 11:37 AM

Fat, boring, over exposed, speaks in sound bits. Gave birth to Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, Nate Burkus and other middle class boring shit.

by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2020 1:03 PM

Publishers estimate that her power to sell a book is anywhere from 20 to 100 times that of any other media personality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2020 1:28 PM

R18, I'm somewhat surprised that people who like Oprah can read.

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2020 2:19 PM

Pretty much agree with everyone here. Especially r3.

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2020 2:22 PM

[quote] [R18], I'm somewhat surprised that people who like Oprah can read.

What a stupid comment. People who are drawn to Oprah are those who are interested in improving the quality of their life. Her brand is showing ordinary people how to find purpose, pursue well-being and enjoy attainable luxury. Her audience may be depressed, traumatized and/or low on self-esteem but they are most definitely literate.

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2020 2:37 PM

YOU GET A BOTTOM! YOU GET A BOTTOM! YOU ALL GET BOTTOMS!

by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2020 2:46 PM

That pic is cracking me up. Is she about to slap the shit out of Gayle?

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2020 2:57 PM

Money

by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2020 3:04 PM

When she was just a Chicago chat show host she went on a date with Roger Ebert. He took a napkin and a pen and explained the financial benefits of syndication to her and changed the course of her life.

It wasn't a love connection but it made her a self- made billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2020 3:27 PM

I totally agree. Not particularly talented, attractive, or well educated. She claims whiteness always gives you an advantage yet suburban white women made her career.

by Anonymousreply 26November 15, 2020 3:30 PM

Not particularly talented, attractive, or well educated... Yes, we can imagine.

Through all of her success, Oprah always made time for philanthropy. In 2004, Oprah became the first African American to rank in the top 50 most generous Americans. By 2012 it was estimated she had donated about $400 million for educational causes. Oprah’s contributions to education don’t end there. She has also supplied over 400 scholarships to Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia. In 2013, Winfrey donated $12 million to the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History of Culture and was later recognized by President Obama for her contributions with the Presidential Medal of Freedom. But she was still a fat loser.

by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2020 5:27 PM

Vehicle distributor

by Anonymousreply 28November 15, 2020 5:31 PM

Because she has a big cock.

by Anonymousreply 29November 15, 2020 5:35 PM

I didn't like her show, but she started life with the deck stacked 100% against her, and she has achieved an amazing amount with her life.

I'm sure a lot of her success has gone to her head but if I were in her shoes, I'd probably be the same.

by Anonymousreply 30November 15, 2020 7:03 PM

Memoirs, self-help, parenting books, the shift from religion to therapy, buying as self-care (before that term though), self-determination, being a role model without being a mother--Oprah made entire industries prosper. She's a force. Like her or not.

by Anonymousreply 31November 15, 2020 8:25 PM

R31, Stalin changed his country too, like him or not.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2020 3:03 PM

There is a balance to life..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2020 3:35 PM

There is a lot of warmth to her and she seems like she does want to help people even if she can be misguided like the rest of us. She also liked to talk about real stuff on her show and not always just fluffy "we have a big star to promote their shitty movie" kinda stuff.

by Anonymousreply 34November 21, 2020 3:59 PM

There's a lot of white resentment on this thread! But I'm not surprised by it. White people are always threatened by successful black men and women and black excellence anyway.

The destruction of Black Wallstreet is the perfect example of white resentment when it comes to independent successful black people. Whites can't stand to see black people with anything.

Oprah is still a very big deal, otherwise "Apple TV" would've never signed her to what I believe is a deal worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Oprah is still a force to be reckoned with. That's probably why racist ass Trump lashed out at her two years ago. She's a real self made Billionaire, something Trump can't claim.

White resentment over black excellence is historical in America. It's always been the quickest way to upset white American society.

by Anonymousreply 35November 21, 2020 4:01 PM

She’s an extremely rich person who acts like she’s not an extremely rich person. She’s accessible and gave away free stuff. Her favorite things shows used to be amazing. She gave away trips and cars ffs. Who wouldn’t love that?

by Anonymousreply 36November 21, 2020 5:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!