Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are gay men so spiteful and mean?

I didn’t like catty girls in high school. Why do many gay men emulate their meanness?

by Anonymousreply 133April 16, 2023 1:01 PM

Why are gay men this? Why are gay men that?

Why ask why?

by Anonymousreply 1November 9, 2020 5:50 PM

OP, you know how bitchy fags can be.

by Anonymousreply 2November 9, 2020 5:52 PM

How many threads on this exact topic are you going to start, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3November 9, 2020 6:00 PM

DL is not exactly a good example.

Celebrities come out of the closet and they are celebrated, but not on DL, they are trashed here while closet cases are loved and bearding is something a young actor has to do

by Anonymousreply 4November 9, 2020 6:04 PM

Survival.

by Anonymousreply 5November 10, 2020 12:12 AM

Essential reading...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 10, 2020 12:14 AM

Be kind, gays, this is OPs first day on Data Lounge. And his first week being gay.

by Anonymousreply 7November 10, 2020 12:39 AM

Because gays are like so many women. Jealous of their rivals.

by Anonymousreply 8November 10, 2020 12:54 AM

Go sit on a fire hydrant, OP!!!

by Anonymousreply 9November 10, 2020 12:57 AM

R8

Really?

I've always found gay men to be exceptionally nurturing and kind. And creative.

As for women jealous of their rivals, I feel males are far more jealous and insecure.

by Anonymousreply 10November 10, 2020 12:57 AM

I became spiteful and mean when my st8 married guy told me to "get lost." We were from different social circles, where I would be attending cultural functions, he wondered where if there was enough beer in the fridge.

by Anonymousreply 11November 10, 2020 12:58 AM

It's a certain type of gay man OP and really quite a small subset of all gay men.

Effeminate and angry at the world, you'll find they were picked on mercilessly as children by peers and often by parents.

They surround themselves with other similar gay men and as adults they act just like the teenage girls who were mean to them

They are easily avoided.

by Anonymousreply 12November 10, 2020 1:00 AM

Because it's FUN, OP.

Got any more questions, hon?

by Anonymousreply 13November 10, 2020 1:05 AM

R11

You were going through your "rough trade" phase, eh?

by Anonymousreply 14November 10, 2020 1:11 AM

Because so many of them are neurotic, very emotionally damaged people.

by Anonymousreply 15November 10, 2020 1:13 AM

I find that if you have your own hobbies and goals outside a big group of gay friends, you'll get along just fine you have and you won't have to deal with that bitchiness. I used to have a big group of gay friends at the clubs, and I realized after a couple of years how many homeless that was and how phone is their lives were and how much they resented me for having interests outside of them. you feel free when you break from those who are trying to keep you down. But not all gay men are like that. There are probably more who are decent and kind and caring then there are bitter and destructive. You just have to know where to look.

by Anonymousreply 16November 10, 2020 1:16 AM

These gay men are invariably effeminate too. They want to be women.

by Anonymousreply 17November 10, 2020 1:17 AM

Hopeless/ phony, key words misspelled thanks to my happy finger before proofreading.

by Anonymousreply 18November 10, 2020 1:17 AM

Why are 90% of all murders committed by heterosexual men?

Why are they so mean?

by Anonymousreply 19November 10, 2020 1:18 AM

Why are straight women so spiteful and mean?

by Anonymousreply 20November 10, 2020 1:20 AM

R8 men are more jealous than women. It's why so many straight men beat, stalk, abuse, and murder their spouses and girlfriends

by Anonymousreply 21November 10, 2020 1:21 AM

OP, it's a defense/coping mechanism, gay men were often bullied as children, this was their way of fighting back, "I'm going to slam you before you can slam me".

Now, go pound sand up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 22November 10, 2020 1:27 AM

Why is r17 so spiteful and mean?

by Anonymousreply 23November 10, 2020 1:46 AM

The art of bitchery can be amusing when it's clever, especially if the person using it is self deprecating. But it gets old very fast when someone is using it to go after the jugular. I've had situations where it starts off as fun, but someone gets a little too into the game and becomes truly evil in their effort to bring someone down. I've started basically walking away from people when they start to get a little too carry, giving them and eye roll or a side eye before leaving just to let them know I'm on to their game. I learned from my past mistakes of getting a bit too catty at times that it doesn't solve anything other than to make you more enemies.

by Anonymousreply 24November 10, 2020 1:56 AM

Truth?

Because many of them, the effeminate-since-birth ones in particular, have been so shat upon they believe they don't deserve love or affection or happiness of any kind.

And thus convinced, they are determined to ensure that no one else has any either.

by Anonymousreply 25November 10, 2020 3:00 AM

Why are gay men so interested in having sex with other men, as opposed to having sex with women?

by Anonymousreply 26November 10, 2020 3:01 AM

Why are we having so many threads lately asking why gay men are so awful?

How about you find a different website, cunt OP?

by Anonymousreply 27November 10, 2020 3:30 AM

R24 thinks The Boys In The Band was a biopic about her.

by Anonymousreply 28November 10, 2020 3:36 AM

Because homosexuality is a mental illness, and gay men are severely damaged.

by Anonymousreply 29November 10, 2020 3:40 AM

None of my husshbands were shpiteful!

by Anonymousreply 30November 10, 2020 3:45 AM

None of my husbands were gay. I think Mama might have met a gay man once, though.

by Anonymousreply 31November 10, 2020 4:21 AM

You guys see multiple threads on this exact topic, worded exactly the same way, and you know it's just another homophobic thread from a troll, and yet you guys still respond. Why? Can you just not fucking help yourselves?

by Anonymousreply 32November 10, 2020 4:31 AM

OP you’re a dumb filthy cunt. Why don’t you go to some other website? Nobody ever wanted you here.

by Anonymousreply 33November 10, 2020 4:50 AM

Wow, R33, angry much? Kisses.

by Anonymousreply 34November 10, 2020 4:57 AM

Oh good, we were overdue for another thread on this. It's been what, 36 hours? 48?

by Anonymousreply 35November 10, 2020 5:05 AM

Gay men are extremely immature, especially compared to Lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 36November 10, 2020 5:12 AM

The biggest cunts are the little sass queens who like to use contour and vegetate by subjecting themselves to garbage like The Real Housewives and kUWTK.

by Anonymousreply 37November 10, 2020 6:53 AM

Why are straight men so entitled and abusive?

Why are straight women so entitled and condescending?

Why are bisexual men so manipulative and selfish?

Why are bisexual women so condescending and self serving?

by Anonymousreply 38November 10, 2020 8:14 AM

The truth hurts. Just look at some of these replies. OP, I don't have any answers for you, but I've often wondered the same. Mad respect for broaching the subject, but not saying " many" or simply "most" gay men isn't completely fair... Naturally, the many objections are to be expected. Considering how many on DL revere the pointless bitchery, and the callous style that prevails here, it's quite daft to deny this reality however.

We do have some good eggs, and even a few Grade 'A'.

by Anonymousreply 39November 10, 2020 9:11 AM

People who are treated like shit tend to be mean, OP. Why do you think there is so much looting going on?

by Anonymousreply 40November 10, 2020 9:26 AM

Where's the "mad respect" whenever any other group is criticized?

by Anonymousreply 41November 10, 2020 9:28 AM

"I didn’t like catty girls in high school. "

Too much alike?

by Anonymousreply 42November 10, 2020 9:38 AM

OP: “How dare gay men not coddle straight women the way they’re used it!”

by Anonymousreply 43November 10, 2020 10:35 AM

Years ago attending gay bars with my very handsome bf, it was like I didn't exist..guys would approach him and attempt to exchange phone numbers, attempt making out, while poor me kept saying "he's mind" gently. That's when I turned nasty. Handsome bf decamped to San Francisco and I wouldn't leave Manhattan. Gay men think every one is fair game for them.

by Anonymousreply 44November 10, 2020 10:16 PM

Good question. I ask the same thing when I read some of the comments on here. Like Trump's antics, gay bitchiness is exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 45November 10, 2020 10:19 PM

R44, most sexual assault and harassment is committed by straight men.

by Anonymousreply 46November 10, 2020 10:22 PM

R44, So you deliberately brought your boyfriend to gay bars to flaunt around and then got upset when guys would hit on him and not you?? Lol

by Anonymousreply 47November 10, 2020 10:48 PM

Only guys with ugly boyfriends are allowed to go to bars? Anyone with an attractive boyfriend is "flaunting" rather than just socializing like everybody else, so they're fair game?

What a strange attitude to carry around.

by Anonymousreply 48November 10, 2020 11:35 PM

The only times I've gone to gay bars is to get laid. Not sure why you'd go to one if that wasn't your motive

by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2020 12:23 AM

Girls, girls, you're all...tedious.

by Anonymousreply 50November 11, 2020 12:24 AM

We're much too old for anything but piano bars now but back in the day we used to go out to drink and dance and meet up with our friends. We loved to go out after dinner, the theater or a movie.

I guess socializing with friends isn't for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 51November 11, 2020 12:38 AM

(47) Flaunt, flaunt, flaunt... He would make friends with the most catty gossips imaginable and enjoyed all the attention. I was more reserved and sadly his San Francisco escapade came to a sad end.

by Anonymousreply 52November 12, 2020 7:33 PM

[quote] Wow, R33, angry much? Kisses.

Ignore-dar reveals this to be OP's response, which means he's every bit as catty and mean as the people he complains about/

by Anonymousreply 53November 12, 2020 7:36 PM

OP, in 7th grade study hall I had to sit at a table with five girls in my class. They were always snooty and mean and would say hateful things to me for no reason, but then a kid I had told I was gay told the whole school and I was expelled, but then allowed to come back. From the day I came back, those girls made my life hell, as if it weren't already. This lasted for the entire school year, five days a week.

I wanted to be just as bitchy and mean and hateful to them as they were to me. It didn't really work for me, but it did show me that when people are treated badly, they generally react badly. When gay men are looked down on, sneered at, and called names, they sometimes respond in kind and develop that brittle, hateful veneer as a protective shield.

by Anonymousreply 54November 12, 2020 7:44 PM

R47, wow that took a lot of stretching to get to that answer. Another way to look at it would be he was going to bars with his boyfriend for a fun night out. The fact that you think he was flaunting him around is so fucked.

To answer your question, op, the combo of insecurity, agism, narcissism, and superficial values make for a bad combination. Most people grow out of it. The nasty bitchy phase is probably a growing pains thing.

by Anonymousreply 55November 12, 2020 10:12 PM

What a stupid thread...but that’s what you get from stupid people. It’s kind of like how people who cheat to win think everyone who wins must cheat...sad

by Anonymousreply 56November 12, 2020 10:54 PM

Because they wish they were women. That's why they hate women and transgender people.

by Anonymousreply 57December 17, 2020 3:24 PM

People without strength or power resort to cattiness to express their hierarchy

by Anonymousreply 58December 17, 2020 3:44 PM

I’m the queen of all bitches! 👑

by Anonymousreply 59December 17, 2020 3:45 PM

Because people who are treated like shit their whole lives end up projecting that onto other people.

by Anonymousreply 60December 17, 2020 6:00 PM

[quote]People without strength or power

Here's some more of the ridicule that is the root of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 61December 17, 2020 6:06 PM

(57) No truer words were spoken..I always had that wish that I was a female, instead of a bitchy queen.

by Anonymousreply 62December 17, 2020 10:40 PM

I dont know why gay men are like that, you would catch lesbians acting that way.

by Anonymousreply 63December 18, 2020 2:28 AM

OP is so spiteful and mean to post such a lie.

And she has a pussy!

by Anonymousreply 64December 18, 2020 3:04 AM

R63, are you serious? Lesbians have major drama. They don't call it dyke drama for nothing. As many have said, across the spectrum of the LGBTQ+ community there has been bullying, abuse, shaming, until recently acceptance from society. That mixed with a culture of vanity, sex, and substances, there are a lot of nasty cunts out there in the community.

by Anonymousreply 65December 18, 2020 3:20 AM

[quote] As many have said, across the spectrum of the LGBTQ+ community there has been bullying, abuse, shaming, until recently acceptance from society. That mixed with a culture of vanity, sex, and substances, there are a lot of nasty cunts out there in the community.

I truly believe that most gay people my age (40) and older are a bit damaged--even if they don't show it.

by Anonymousreply 66December 18, 2020 3:59 AM

I am your age and I feel that way a bit. I feel like I've mellowed with age.

by Anonymousreply 67December 18, 2020 4:31 AM

R67, it's me, R65.

Ever since I started volunteering with my local pride center this year (during the pandemic)--a little zoom group that meets once per week, I have met an enormous number of older gay men and women, mostly retired, many of whom have never had a real relationship (other than one night stands) because they didn't want their families or their employers to know. It is so unbelievably tragic.

by Anonymousreply 68December 18, 2020 5:08 AM

Kirk is still a hottie at 50.

by Anonymousreply 69December 22, 2020 4:09 AM

Why are straight me so stupid?

by Anonymousreply 70December 22, 2020 4:21 AM

[quote]Because they wish they were women. That's why they hate women and transgender people.

No, that's why trannies hate women.

by Anonymousreply 71December 22, 2020 10:47 AM

Your title is misleading, OP. It's [italic]some[/italic] gay men, not [italic]all[/italic] (as you implied).

Some gay men emulate negative traits associated with straight women. They do a one-dimensional caricature. So they are overly obsessed with superficial appearance and primping. They act catty/bitchy and spread malicious gossip behind someone's back.

[italic]Some[/italic] lesbians do the same thing with stereotypical straight male behavior: acting ultra-macho, boastful, taking up extra space, having a chip on one's shoulder and being confrontational.

Both sets of behaviors seem to stem from an exaggerated competitive streak mixed with insecurity. People who behave this way tend to view you as either a rival (already mentioned here) or someone to be ignored. If they see you as a rival, it means you are a threat because you're competing with them for the same resources: status, jobs, dating pool, sex partners, etc. It's not much different from what animals do in nature. But humans are supposed to be a thinking, empathetic species not ruled by instinct, so what's our excuse?

I just saw a PBS rebroadcast of an Armistead Maupin documentary. He spoke about his grandmother, who was a suffragette in England. She once told him: “Any woman who is all woman or any man who is all man is a complete monster unfit for human company.”

She had a good point. Men and women, gay or straight, are complex individuals. Each person, regardless of orientation, has their own mix of masculine and feminine energies. People honest with themselves realize that. When some caricature how a man or woman should behave (which is simplistic), they are putting on an act instead of being real.

by Anonymousreply 72December 22, 2020 1:47 PM

Many gay men are bitter, nasty queens.

by Anonymousreply 73February 19, 2021 3:54 AM

Gay men being mean to each other is kind of understandable, We're attracted to each other, but also, in competition with each other, all the while being told we must fit into a larger "community" and that doesn't always work.

by Anonymousreply 74February 19, 2021 4:56 AM

"You're so mean! WAHHHH WAHH WAHH. I'm gonna tell everyone on Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, OnlyFans. BOO HOO, look at me, look at me!" 🤡

by Anonymousreply 75February 21, 2021 7:59 PM

I think it’s all the douching.

Would explain why most women are mean, as well.

by Anonymousreply 76February 21, 2021 8:08 PM

hurt people hurt people.

by Anonymousreply 77February 21, 2021 9:04 PM

So true bro ⬆️

by Anonymousreply 78February 21, 2021 10:05 PM

(73) How dare you describe me..Do I know you?????

by Anonymousreply 79March 1, 2021 12:23 AM

Some gays like the pain!

by Anonymousreply 80March 1, 2021 12:26 AM

Cattiness and bitchiness are always about insecurity.

by Anonymousreply 81March 1, 2021 12:38 AM

Because OP, oh and shut up.

by Anonymousreply 82March 1, 2021 12:46 AM

It's the totem pole effect. Any group discriminated against always looks at someone "lower" to pick on. Whether that be other gays, a different race, ethnicity, etc.

by Anonymousreply 83March 1, 2021 12:48 AM

Yep

by Anonymousreply 84March 11, 2021 9:16 AM

Jealousy

by Anonymousreply 85March 11, 2021 9:58 AM

The dynamic I see a lot with gay men and straight women is: average looking men and women bullying someone who’s better looking than them, but who also comes across as insecure. I once read that Sharon Tate got bullied a lot by other women, because she wasn’t good at dishing out a repartee to a mean spirited comment.

by Anonymousreply 86March 11, 2021 10:03 AM

Only the bottoms usually though. And, among those, it's usually the ones who kind of have issues with the fact that they are bottoms so it really doesn't apply to everyone. Plus the question I ask is why are so many straight women with kids and husbands so spiteful and mean to beautiful and independent females who are single or who they see as delicate?

I have dated across the spectrum in my life and found that those who are spiteful and mean, are this way (and it is, I admit a generalization):

1. Bottoms with issues of self hate and who bring that into the bedroom (want to be called the f-word, etc. - not my thing so a dick wilter).

2. Simple-minded and small-minded gay men/straight women who hate anyone who seems "happier" or to "have a leg up" on them which they sort of deem from a superficial place because they don't really know anyone's struggles.

3. Sometimes those coming from a heavily conservative environment who internalized feelings of "not living up" to the bullshit standards.

by Anonymousreply 87March 11, 2021 1:57 PM

OP, why do you project the vices of breeder bitches onto gay people?

When they do it, they are demonstrating hetero privilege. When we do it, we are fighting back against systemic oppression.

by Anonymousreply 88March 11, 2021 1:59 PM

It’s those bottoms I tell ya! They got huge holes to fill!

by Anonymousreply 89March 11, 2021 10:50 PM

Yeah, the old chestnut, "hurt people hurt people."

Some lesbians, especially some lesbians over a certain age who (I believe) experienced homophobia, can be nasty. I know a surprising number of women on the more "femme" side of the spectrum who say their butch ex-girlfriends were horrifyingly emotionally abusive in private. (Not all butch women: just something I've noticed from the stories of people I know.) There is a shared trauma (is it called trauma bonding?) in these kinds of couples.

All the gay men I know I either know through work or non-profit volunteering--so they have already self-selected into environments where people are civil and friendly. Being a lesbian, I know a greater diversity of lesbians, which is how I have met some of the unpleasant ones.

Identify and avoid.

by Anonymousreply 90March 12, 2021 1:59 AM

It comes from being ostracized and ridiculed

by Anonymousreply 91March 12, 2021 6:37 AM

Because it's fun.

by Anonymousreply 92March 12, 2021 7:41 AM

because they can

by Anonymousreply 93March 12, 2021 7:43 AM

If you think being mean and spiteful is fun, you have something very wrong with you

by Anonymousreply 94March 12, 2021 12:44 PM

Because I’m hot and you’re not!

by Anonymousreply 95March 12, 2021 8:52 PM

It’s because they belittle before they get belittled.

by Anonymousreply 96March 12, 2021 8:59 PM

straight men are competitive, gay men are jealous

by Anonymousreply 97March 13, 2021 1:49 AM

You’re so mean! ❄️

by Anonymousreply 98March 13, 2021 2:02 AM

Why are gay men constantly being painted with such a broad brush even by other gay men?

by Anonymousreply 99March 13, 2021 2:04 AM

I’m a gay man and I’m mean cuz I don’t like small dick fatties. There I said it! Go to your safe space now and cry!

by Anonymousreply 100March 13, 2021 2:07 AM

Because we don't like you OP.

by Anonymousreply 101March 13, 2021 2:09 AM

99% of everything uttered by a heterosexual man is negative, ridicule, insulting, complaining, gay-bashing, cruel, mean-spirited, back-stabbing, anti-woman, lying bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 102March 13, 2021 2:23 AM

Mean gay men are unhappy about being gay. Same for mean people of every group. There is a void they fill with meanness.

by Anonymousreply 103March 13, 2021 2:29 AM

It’s true though

by Anonymousreply 104March 13, 2021 6:38 AM

Only the bottoms are bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 105March 15, 2021 9:34 AM

I think effeminate men have deep scars because of ostracism, rejection, and persecution. They lash out to cope

by Anonymousreply 106March 15, 2021 5:04 PM

catty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107March 15, 2021 5:05 PM

R107 is this why some of us ramble on and on about how they feel and how others feel, and some of us give one word answers when asked a question?

by Anonymousreply 108March 15, 2021 5:10 PM

I think effeminate gay men try to use cattiness as a commodity to get social favor with some women. It is very repugnant to most men, so they end up only being friends with a certain type of woman or other fem men

by Anonymousreply 109March 15, 2021 5:13 PM

A well-adjusted gay man is a treasure. They seem to have every good character trait, both masc. and fem.

But sadly some gay men are insecure. And this comes out in many ways, including meanness.

by Anonymousreply 110March 17, 2021 11:19 AM

Clearly a lot of gay men here have not worked with straight men in the corporate world. Backstabbing bitchiness in full flower.

by Anonymousreply 111March 17, 2021 11:52 AM

That hasn’t been my experience generally

by Anonymousreply 112March 17, 2021 11:59 AM

Why are most Cunts women?

Why are most Assholes straight Dudes?

Why do Russian Trolls always pretend to be "life long Democrats" but....

by Anonymousreply 113March 17, 2021 12:10 PM

My homophobic female Boomer boss once tried to complement me by saying gay men made the best designers because men tend to focus on the big picture and woman tend to focus on the details and gay seem to be good at both. That's why they make good designers. I refrained from telling her why woman are better off as housewives than in business.

by Anonymousreply 114March 17, 2021 12:16 PM

Gay men tend to mimic their mothers bitchy behavior growing up but filled with fathers suppressed rage.

by Anonymousreply 115March 17, 2021 12:20 PM

It’s everyone else’s fault! People should not be so dumb, and FAT!!!

by Anonymousreply 116March 17, 2021 4:26 PM

After I came out, I realised that gay men caused me more harm than straight men ever did. Spitefulness and bitchiness seemed the only protection.

by Anonymousreply 117March 17, 2021 7:38 PM

R117 Ain’t that the truth!

by Anonymousreply 118March 17, 2021 10:20 PM

My straight male friends are chill and accepting.

by Anonymousreply 119March 18, 2021 12:19 AM

Because a lot of gay guys seem to think being cruel and verbally abusive makes them witty.

by Anonymousreply 120March 18, 2021 5:50 AM

It doesn’t

by Anonymousreply 121March 18, 2021 11:31 AM

It’s not cute!

by Anonymousreply 122March 18, 2021 12:26 PM

Trauma projection

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123April 2, 2021 11:52 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 124January 1, 2022 11:19 AM

Dark souls . They have no compassion

by Anonymousreply 125January 1, 2022 11:48 AM

They love to visually eviserate people. They are constantly finding a fault . I can’t be around male cunts, violence will ensue

by Anonymousreply 126January 1, 2022 12:03 PM

They are very damaged emotionally.

by Anonymousreply 127January 7, 2022 4:31 AM

[quote]Why are gay men so spiteful and mean?

Why are straight men sociopathic abusers?

by Anonymousreply 128January 7, 2022 4:53 AM

Envy

by Anonymousreply 129January 7, 2022 10:53 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 130September 12, 2022 3:25 PM

Because being vicious and cruel is their only currency in this world.

by Anonymousreply 131September 12, 2022 3:44 PM

Great question

by Anonymousreply 132April 16, 2023 1:00 PM

Modern gay men are. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, I don’t recall gay men being so decadent.

by Anonymousreply 133April 16, 2023 1:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!