Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ina Garten's coq au vin recipe is absolutely ridiculous

She doesn't bother marinading the chicken in the wine and stock.

She's also lying about it being her anniversary with Jeffrey. How many anniversaries do they have per year? Also how many pounds does she weigh here?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177December 1, 2020 12:23 AM

looks good

by Anonymousreply 1November 9, 2020 5:48 PM

It wouldn't be my first choice of coq au vin recipe

by Anonymousreply 2November 9, 2020 5:55 PM

It looks great, villain!

by Anonymousreply 3November 9, 2020 6:03 PM

Opie was obviously downwind when Ina farted.

by Anonymousreply 4November 9, 2020 6:06 PM

I'd eat it.

by Anonymousreply 5November 9, 2020 6:12 PM

Isn't the original made with rooster? Pretty hard to get your hands on a rooster though.

by Anonymousreply 6November 9, 2020 6:28 PM

Looks good to me, and pretty easy to make.

by Anonymousreply 7November 9, 2020 6:43 PM

[quote]She doesn't bother marinading the chicken

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 8November 9, 2020 7:10 PM

[quote]marinading

Marinating.

I'm not going to watch the video but if it's this recipe, then it looks fine. My old go-to coq au vin didn't call for marinating, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 9, 2020 7:35 PM

American ideas about cookery are just so embarrassing. If you presented that as a coq au vin anywhere in Europe (and I even include the UK in that) you'd be laughed out of the room.

by Anonymousreply 10November 9, 2020 7:44 PM

Cookery!

by Anonymousreply 11November 9, 2020 8:36 PM

How do you make European coq au vin, r10?

by Anonymousreply 12November 9, 2020 9:21 PM

How do you make European coq au vin, r10?

by Anonymousreply 13November 9, 2020 9:21 PM

Ina believes in keeping things simple. She does not do overly complicated recipes.

by Anonymousreply 14November 9, 2020 9:38 PM

R10 is full of shit. I have French cookbooks from France, and I lived in France, and ate coq au vin in France. This is what coq au vin is.

The only small liberties Ina took are: She substituted bacon for lardons, which we call pork belly or fatback. Unsmoked bacon. And she used frozen onions. Nobody wants to blanch and peel baby onions anyway, so that's fine with me.

Some French recipes use whole peeled shallots instead of onions, and cook them in the stew from the beginning. One of my recipes says bouquet garni, which is whatever the fuck you want. Thyme is the predominant flavor in BG, so why not simplify? One ridiculous French recipe suggests adding sauce madere or bordelaise, which is way too much work for a simple dish. A brown roux might be good though.

Things that I and French bitches have done are: Use potato starch slurry to thicken the sauce, which makes it more shiny and less gloppy; a spoonful of ketchup browned with the aromatics; and finally and I don't recommend this, cooking the stew in a pressure cooker. Doesn't work well with chicken or carrots, both of which get off-aromas from pressure cooking.

by Anonymousreply 15November 9, 2020 9:47 PM

My friend worked with Jeffrey at Yale. Apparently he is absolutely loathed by everyone he comes in contact with there.

Poor Ina.

by Anonymousreply 16November 9, 2020 9:52 PM

Ina dutch oven’s Jeffrey. Imagine how bad her farts stink!

by Anonymousreply 17November 9, 2020 9:54 PM

[quote]She doesn't bother marinading the chicken in the wine and stock.

Why marinate chicken? Is it just an American thing? In Italy I noticed that only game might get marinated and occasionally some types of fish but chicken or beef never.

Do French recipes ever call for it?

by Anonymousreply 18November 9, 2020 10:34 PM

Why onions AND pearl onions. Doesn't that make the dish too "oniony"?

by Anonymousreply 19November 9, 2020 11:04 PM

Barefoot Contessa loves cock!

by Anonymousreply 20November 10, 2020 12:42 AM

R20, not as much as Jeffrey does.

by Anonymousreply 21November 10, 2020 12:48 AM

Jeffrey just LOVES my farts!

by Anonymousreply 22November 10, 2020 12:58 AM

OP One never should inquire about Ina’s weight. It’s just not done. That’s just the way she looks. Deal with it. I think she looks tremendous! And I love her little flair such as popping her collar. Plus, she would look ridiculous as a skinny woman!

by Anonymousreply 23November 10, 2020 12:59 AM

Has she ever considered selling shents on QVC--or would that be too déclassé for her?

by Anonymousreply 24November 10, 2020 1:03 AM

[quote] Isn't the original made with rooster? Pretty hard to get your hands on a rooster though.

Yes, coq = rooster/cock. But nearly all the chicken sold at American supermarkets is rooster. Hens are allowed to live to lay eggs.

by Anonymousreply 25November 10, 2020 1:04 AM

Snobby OP has obviously never read Larousse Gastronomique:

Coq au Vin (from an old recipe) Larousse Gastronomique (1938)

Cut into six pieces a young chicken from Limagne. In a casserole pot, add 2 T butter and 4 T lard, then trim and add some small onions. When they are ready, add to the pot the chicken pieces, a small clove of garlic, minced, a bouquet garni, and morels or mushrooms. Brown on high heat, then degrease. Add a finger of good brandy, flambe, then add a half liter of wine from Auvergne. After cooking on high heat, remove the chicken, then serve it with the sauce, thickened with beurre manie.

However, a much more recent recipe from Bon Appetit asks for a marinated chicken. I would call that an AMERICAN version.

by Anonymousreply 26November 10, 2020 1:13 AM

[quote] OP One never should inquire about Ina’s weight. It’s just not done. That’s just the way she looks. Deal with it. I think she looks tremendous! And I love her little flair such as popping her collar. Plus, she would look ridiculous as a skinny woman!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 10, 2020 1:30 AM

Ina Garten's recipes all work. They have been tested and the editing is good. There are no blind alleys or booby traps. They work.

But for Coq au Vin, go with Julia Child. EXCEPT Ina is right about the frozen pearl onions. Julia's fresh pearl onions will add 30 to 45 minutes of the most soul crushing work. And for what? They get stewed anyway.

Julia also states this can be prepared with white wine. I like it better that way. Go for it.

by Anonymousreply 28November 10, 2020 1:41 AM

Well Jeffrey just LOVES my fart scented coq.

by Anonymousreply 29November 10, 2020 1:46 AM

Ina's Italian recipes are not very good -- she's not really the chef to go to for that -- but her French-inspired and American fare is usually good. Oh, and her cocktails, too.

by Anonymousreply 30November 10, 2020 1:46 AM

This is the recipe in which Ina adds oil to the pasta cooking water:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 10, 2020 1:59 AM

Blasphemy!

by Anonymousreply 32November 10, 2020 2:06 AM

[quote] OP One never should inquire about Ina’s weight. It’s just not done. That’s just the way she looks. Deal with it. I think she looks tremendous! And I love her little flair such as popping her collar. Plus, she would look ridiculous as a skinny woman!

I love Ina and her recipes. However, pearl onions are terrible. Ina puts them in her chicken pot pie too.

by Anonymousreply 33November 10, 2020 2:20 AM

R27 I get your point. I was a lot thinner at that age too. But as a senior woman we have only seen her at the pleasantly plump stage. It would be weird to see her thin at this age.

by Anonymousreply 34November 10, 2020 2:34 AM

I would never cut meat on a wood cutting board...ugh.

by Anonymousreply 35November 10, 2020 3:03 AM

I made these a while back and they came out good. It was weird having to buy frozen OJ concentrate though. I hadn't bought that since the '70s. (And since the recipe only used two tablespoons, I still have plenty left!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 10, 2020 3:59 AM

I am preparing to make ina's coq au vin recipe. What's wrong with it?

by Anonymousreply 37November 10, 2020 4:15 AM

I have to buy cognac. What does she use?

by Anonymousreply 38November 10, 2020 4:17 AM

R25 - what kind of bullshit is that? No - we do not eat rooster in the US and they are not in every supermarket.

Why do you post shit that's just a thought in your head and no facts?

by Anonymousreply 39November 10, 2020 4:23 AM

HE some asshole that against frenc food. I have seen his posts before. He is a freedom fry asshole. Remember that.

by Anonymousreply 40November 10, 2020 4:27 AM

Has Ina farted yet today?

by Anonymousreply 41November 10, 2020 10:30 AM

R33, you can leave the pearl onions out of chicken pot pie, coq au vin, and boeuf bourguignon. I do. I hate them. Alternately, you can add them for flavor, then leave them on your plate instead of eating them. For me, it's enough to use onions as an aromatic in the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 42November 10, 2020 12:13 PM

Onions make ya fart!

by Anonymousreply 43November 10, 2020 2:15 PM

[quote] I have to buy cognac. What does she use?

Really GOOD cognac

by Anonymousreply 44November 10, 2020 2:47 PM

R36, I'm sure they're wonderful, but what are they doing on a coq au vin thread?

by Anonymousreply 45November 10, 2020 3:00 PM

[quote] [R33], you can leave the pearl onions out of chicken pot pie, coq au vin, and boeuf bourguignon. I do. I hate them. Alternately, you can add them for flavor, then leave them on your plate instead of eating them. For me, it's enough to use onions as an aromatic in the beginning.

Yes R42 I I swap the pearl out for any other type of onion.

by Anonymousreply 46November 10, 2020 3:43 PM

I had an employer I cooked for and she requested Ina's Coq au Vin, provided me with a recipe, which I followed. I don't eat meat or poultry so I did not try it, but she and her husband were very happy with it and asked me to make it again.

by Anonymousreply 47November 10, 2020 4:56 PM

It grates on my nerves when celebrity cooks like her and Martha Stewart say stuff like "...next we're going to add a half a cup of olive oil, good olive oil". That's like saying "not that cheap shit from Save-A-Lot".

by Anonymousreply 48November 10, 2020 5:22 PM

Jeff is probably out pounding 19 year old coeds while Ina stuffs her fat face.

by Anonymousreply 49November 10, 2020 5:25 PM

Whatever happened to that really butch landscaper lesbian with the spiky blond hair and overalls, who would stop by on her show?

by Anonymousreply 50November 10, 2020 5:28 PM

Coed? Ha! More like the pool boy.

by Anonymousreply 51November 10, 2020 5:28 PM

I wouldn't touch Erna's cow!

Oh wait...that's something completely different!

by Anonymousreply 52November 10, 2020 5:31 PM

[quote] Jeff is probably out pounding 19 year old coeds while Ina stuffs her fat face.

At age 74, really?

by Anonymousreply 53November 10, 2020 5:42 PM

R48, it probably stems from the "cooking wine" in the vinegar aisle which is complete and utter garbage. You always want to use a wine you would drink.

by Anonymousreply 54November 10, 2020 5:54 PM

Did you guys know that Jeffrey Lieutenant in the 82nd Airborne Division? That’s a pretty tough outfit to belong to. Who knew Jeffrey was that butch?

by Anonymousreply 55November 10, 2020 6:03 PM

Sorry meant to say Jeffrey was a lieutenant.

by Anonymousreply 56November 10, 2020 6:04 PM

Didn't the cow refuse to sign an autograph for some sick child or person one time. I stopped like her after I heard that.

by Anonymousreply 57November 10, 2020 6:07 PM

[quote] Didn't the cow refuse to sign an autograph for some sick child or person one time. I stopped like her after I heard that

No she didn’t and you obviously never liked her.

by Anonymousreply 58November 10, 2020 6:37 PM

R57, she sure did. Not just once, but twice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 10, 2020 6:42 PM

The recipe looks ok, though I’m unlikely to make it. I’m also not a great fan of garlic mashed potatoes.

Fascinated to learn That Jeffrey is unpopular at Yale.

Ina was very pretty in her wedding photo.

Let’s retire the fart jokes.

Ina must be so loaded from all her food media and ventures. She seems like a nice lady, maybe a little stand-of fish by necessity (people’s behavior around her is likely disinhibited and pushy, and she probably gets barraged with frau fans). She seems smart and no-nonsense. My sisters all admire her, and felt bad when one fan asked her why she never had any children, and got a curt reply from Ina, and rightly so. That’s an oddly personal question, and probably a hurtful one.

by Anonymousreply 60November 10, 2020 6:43 PM

[quote] [R57], she sure did. Not just once, but twice.

Nope she didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 61November 10, 2020 6:49 PM

[quote] Fascinated to learn That Jeffrey is unpopular at Yale.

Have we learned that or did 1 person post an unsubstantiated rumor?

by Anonymousreply 62November 10, 2020 6:53 PM

[quote] Yes, coq = rooster/cock. But nearly all the chicken sold at American supermarkets is rooster. Hens are allowed to live to lay eggs.

This is utter bullshit. Unless it’s sold as a capon at the specialty butcher counter, you’re buying hens and hen parts at the market. Rooster chicks are generally culled and mulched.

by Anonymousreply 63November 10, 2020 6:53 PM

Chicken nuggets washed down with some Franzia are just as good.

by Anonymousreply 64November 10, 2020 7:06 PM

R27: I think she looks tremendous!

Yes indeed. This from Google Dictionary:

tre·men·dous

/trəˈmendəs/

adjective

very great in amount, scale, or intensity.

"Ina has a tremendous figure"

by Anonymousreply 65November 10, 2020 7:11 PM

[quote]Rooster chicks are generally culled and mulched.

As they should be.

by Anonymousreply 66November 10, 2020 7:17 PM

R58 Is that you Ina, you cunt.

by Anonymousreply 67November 10, 2020 7:18 PM

[quote]It grates on my nerves when celebrity cooks like her and Martha Stewart say stuff like "...next we're going to add a half a cup of olive oil, good olive oil". That's like saying "not that cheap shit from Save-A-Lot".

They're correct in doing so. Cheap olive oil is often nasty smelly stuff that'll give a dish a taste you don't want.

by Anonymousreply 68November 10, 2020 7:22 PM

Remember when she farted next to Matt Lauer? He was gagging and tried his best to hold it together. So memorable.

by Anonymousreply 69November 10, 2020 7:24 PM

[quote] I have to buy cognac. What does she use?

I would use Courvoisier or Hennessy.

by Anonymousreply 70November 10, 2020 7:30 PM

[quote] It grates on my nerves when celebrity cooks like her and Martha Stewart say stuff like "...next we're going to add a half a cup of olive oil, good olive oil". That's like saying "not that cheap shit from Save-A-Lot".

I always took it even more negative: "Use good olive oil; not that cheap shit that you have in your pantry."

by Anonymousreply 71November 10, 2020 7:32 PM

The difference between Martha and Ina is that Martha would expect you to press your own olive oil from the fruit you harvested from your 20-acre orchard right outside your kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 72November 10, 2020 8:01 PM

Martha keeps her recipes and methods pretty simple.

by Anonymousreply 73November 10, 2020 8:12 PM

Has anyone tried Adrienne Hew's '50 Ways to Eat Cock'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 10, 2020 8:13 PM

R6/R15 A Capon works well, subbing for the Coq...though they're spendy. R38 If you need to save and won't necessarily drink the rest of the Cognac, you can substitute a nice French brandy, and no one will know the difference. I'd recommend St. Remy, it's often on sale, and fine enough to drink.

by Anonymousreply 75November 10, 2020 8:28 PM

Try again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 10, 2020 8:44 PM

OP, what would you marinate the chicken in?

by Anonymousreply 77November 10, 2020 9:09 PM

Invite Kayleigh over for dinner and serve squab.

by Anonymousreply 78November 10, 2020 9:16 PM

R77 Not OP, but it's customarily: Red wine, (preferably Burgundy, or Pinot Noir if you're using American wine) onion, carrots, garlic, peppercorns, Bay leaves, and a few TBS of chicken fat, butter, or oil...

by Anonymousreply 79November 10, 2020 9:50 PM

^ some add celery to the marinade as well.

by Anonymousreply 80November 10, 2020 9:56 PM

R78 "Invite Kayleigh over for dinner and serve squab."

Uh oh...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 10, 2020 10:12 PM

So you would marinate the chicken in that mixture, the fry off the lardons, onion, garlic and chicken, then add the liquid?

by Anonymousreply 82November 10, 2020 10:13 PM

"Don't tell Jeffrey..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 10, 2020 10:13 PM

Nigella Lawson published a recipe for a white wine coq au vin with green grapes. I think was it coq au Riesling and seemed like a less lighter, summery stew.

by Anonymousreply 84November 10, 2020 10:15 PM

R65 I did not know that. I did not mean it as a put down. I thought it meant awesome! I have been schooled.

by Anonymousreply 85November 10, 2020 10:23 PM

Simple and delicious coc au vin.

Flour chicken breast parts. Brown in butter. pour in wine (your favorite).

Cover and let it simmer. Check it regularly to see it stays thick-ish and doesn't burn off. I add more wine along the way, sometimes more butter. Sometimes a tad more flour. I make pasta and the sauce makes a delicious sauce. It even tastes good cold for lunch the next day - but it's also good just reheated in the microwave. I also add lemon squeezes which adds to the flavor.

I used to do this with pork chops as well instead of chicken.

by Anonymousreply 86November 10, 2020 10:34 PM

^^^ Oh I forgot. I use rosemary and sage seasoning.

by Anonymousreply 87November 10, 2020 10:35 PM

For you R82

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 10, 2020 10:47 PM

R84 I've made an excellent white Burgundy version, similar to Nigella's.... I left out the grapes however.

by Anonymousreply 89November 10, 2020 10:50 PM

I would cut out the pearl onions and use more mushrooms. I am going to get the regular onions, what kind should I get? Yellow? I usually use red onions. Red Onions would not work in this, right?

Yellow Onions, or does not matter?

by Anonymousreply 90November 10, 2020 11:04 PM

I am so glad someone posted this, even though it's shady. I am going to do this for a small thanksgiving meal. Something different, but fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 91November 10, 2020 11:07 PM

I am so glad someone posted this, even though it's shady. I am going to do this for a small thanksgiving meal. Something different, but fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 92November 10, 2020 11:07 PM

r90, if red onions are what you like, use them. You're talking about in the beginning when you saute the onions, right? I wouldn't add any onions at the end as a replacement for the frozen pearl onions.

Why "shady," r92?

by Anonymousreply 93November 10, 2020 11:15 PM

Op post is shady to Ina. But everyone else is like, "oh, i want to make this."

by Anonymousreply 94November 10, 2020 11:18 PM

I would avoid red (purple) onions unless you're using red wine. I've used red onions before (in cooked dishes) and the color takes over (dominates) the appearance of the final product.

by Anonymousreply 95November 10, 2020 11:20 PM

R95 Agreed. The taste will be different as well after stewing. Shallots are nice. I would sub white for yellow before using red. There's an Epicurious easy Coq au Vin recipe for anyone interested, but not willing to marinate for a day or two. Marinating makes all the difference with this dish IMHO, so I agree with OP. A splash of Brandy or Cognac is a nice addition.

by Anonymousreply 96November 10, 2020 11:27 PM

WHET to her best gal pal Tiara?

by Anonymousreply 97November 10, 2020 11:37 PM

I wish she'd have the beefy Joe Realmuto from Townline BBQ on more often. He reminded me of Brad Garrett. I stopped in Townline BBQ once and he was behind the counter chopping veggies.

by Anonymousreply 98November 10, 2020 11:39 PM

Okay what is good cognac (for this dish)?

Black Hennesey or Gold Hennessey

by Anonymousreply 99November 11, 2020 2:12 AM

I like how she says in her roundabout condescending way, “Don’t use those shitty button mushrooms, you poor disgusting proles.”

by Anonymousreply 100November 11, 2020 2:25 AM

Could I use a Reynolds Oven Bag to make this?

by Anonymousreply 101November 11, 2020 2:37 AM

In other words, despite his pedigree, Pépin couldn’t be less of a snob. A classic French omelet isn’t better than a diner-style one; “it’s just different.” He uses potato starch in his quenelles Escoffier because arrowroot is too expensive. Plain white button mushrooms from the supermarket “are maligned a great deal, in my opinion.”

by Anonymousreply 102November 11, 2020 2:51 AM

That Barefoot Cunt-tessa just needs to stop, and needs to develop a knock off Jenny Craig dish, she needs it.

I prefer Sandra Lee and her festive Christmas cocktail tree, besides she's thin, blond and fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103November 11, 2020 5:10 AM

Ina is a fatty. She should cook healthier dishes.

by Anonymousreply 104November 11, 2020 12:00 PM

American poultry meat is spongy and moist and doesn’t require long marinating or exceptionally long cooking time, especially roasting hens. Game birds and old roosters, if you can even find one, are tougher and benefit from those treatments. I’m #teamIna on this one and think that her easier method will make a satisfying meal. As someone mentioned above, her recipes are really well tested and come out perfect.

by Anonymousreply 105November 11, 2020 12:08 PM

I wonder what her aversion to children is all about. Does she have stock in Silver Shamrock Novelties?

by Anonymousreply 106November 11, 2020 12:25 PM

Stephane Nguyen gives you a much more interesting and elegant approach to coq au vin.

Ina Garten, for whatever her strengths, if any, is thoroughly inelegant. She drags things down, down, down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 11, 2020 12:39 PM

Here you go, OP. Just give up and cook the damned thing in your Instant Pot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 11, 2020 1:08 PM

R105 I respectfully disagree. The marinade in the classic recipe is to impart the wine flavour deep into the bird, not so much to break down tendons, or less tender meat. Chemically, a 750ml bottle of burgundy doesn't contain enough acid for that, nor does it contain any enzymes. Straight brandies, even less acid.

Since the modern birds requires far less strewing time, all the more reason for the importance of the marinade, as it will have less time for the flavour to penetrate during cooking time.

I've had the quickie versions, and they are a completely different result. Colour of the meat is noticeably different as well. I've made 12 hr. marinade, one day, and two days... Two days is best IMHO. The reason why the quickie version tastes better the next day or so, is because the chicken has had time to absorb the flavour.

by Anonymousreply 109November 11, 2020 5:53 PM

Whatever happened to Ina's coterie of homosexualists?

by Anonymousreply 110November 11, 2020 5:58 PM

[quote] Whatever happened to Ina's coterie of homosexualists?

I’m the alpha homo. Ina’s coq is all for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111November 11, 2020 6:42 PM

Ina using Jeffrey as a prop stole that idea from me. I used family before she did.

by Anonymousreply 112November 11, 2020 6:47 PM

I liked that uptight white woman much better. What was her name? Parthy Stewart? Her show always put me to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 113November 11, 2020 6:49 PM

I loved the local cheese lady. She was so awkward in the pre-taped segments.

by Anonymousreply 114November 11, 2020 6:57 PM

I re-watched OP's video again. It's a fairly straightforward recipe. My main gripe is the costs of some of the ingredients. Just get some chicken thighs and drumsticks vs. asking your butcher to break down a whole chicken for you. Don't buy a whole bottle of Cognac to make this, perhaps look for a couple of those mini bottles of liquors, like brandy instead. There are plenty of fine table wines that would work fine in this as well. Fresh thyme (at least where I live) can easily cost $4-$5 for a small pack of it.

It's just the thought of taking humble inexpensive ingredients like chicken thighs/drumsticks, a nice table wine, some carrots/celery/mushrooms, along with some butter and flour, quickly defeats the purpose when you add some of the other ingredients she recommends.

by Anonymousreply 115November 11, 2020 9:45 PM

[quote]It grates on my nerves when celebrity cooks like her and Martha Stewart say stuff like "...next we're going to add a half a cup of olive oil, good olive oil". That's like saying "not that cheap shit from Save-A-Lot".

That's exactly why they say it. It's not for their benefit... have you paid attention to American audiences?

If you don't tell them they'll use shit from the Dollar Tree and wonder why it tastes like... shit.

by Anonymousreply 116November 11, 2020 9:58 PM

R6 You mean a cock?

by Anonymousreply 117November 11, 2020 10:00 PM

R73 and a lot of the reviews for Martha's recipes aren't great. Ina's consistently get good reviews.

by Anonymousreply 118November 11, 2020 10:00 PM

Did R10 ever return?

by Anonymousreply 119November 11, 2020 10:04 PM

[quote]My main gripe is the costs of some of the ingredients.

You must be new to Ina. That's her whole shtick. She tries to pretend that she's rich by using the most expensive ingredients she can find. Didn't you understand her fakery when she called herself a contessa? She used to be a US government clerk, for gods sake.

by Anonymousreply 120November 11, 2020 10:06 PM

R115 And coq au vin is actually a humble homestyle dish.

by Anonymousreply 121November 11, 2020 10:44 PM

What is GOOD Cognac?

I need help with the cognac. Hennessy Black or Gold (for this dish)?

What does Ina use? What is a good cognac to use?

by Anonymousreply 122November 12, 2020 4:04 AM

Ina has bad gas! Pee you!!!!

by Anonymousreply 123November 12, 2020 10:26 AM

Ina’s simplified recipes reflect the fact that she’s a caterer, not a chef.

by Anonymousreply 124November 12, 2020 3:11 PM

If Coco Chanel married Bobby Van, she'd be Coco Van.

by Anonymousreply 125November 12, 2020 8:09 PM

I suspect a lot of triggered pissed of fraus on this thread. Ina is their patron saint.

by Anonymousreply 126November 12, 2020 8:15 PM

[quote] Ina’s simplified recipes reflect the fact that she’s a caterer, not a chef.

The implication is that chefs do do simple recipes. Which is idiotic and patently false. As far as Ina goes. She is a home cook creating recipes for home cooks. Formal training would not change her mission. Which is to provide simple recipes for home cooks. There are any number of trained chefs doing the same thing.

[quote] I suspect a lot of triggered pissed of fraus on this thread. Ina is their patron saint.

I suspect that you are not aware of Ina’s broad appeal. Her fans include various demographics. But hey you obviously just wanted to take a cheap shot at both Ina and women. So you succeeded there. Even though your assessment is incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 127November 12, 2020 9:01 PM

The implication is that chefs don’t do simple recipes.

by Anonymousreply 128November 12, 2020 9:01 PM

[quote]I suspect that you are not aware of Ina’s broad appeal.

Yeah, a lot of fat broads watch the show.

by Anonymousreply 129November 12, 2020 10:01 PM

R126... Ina does simplified recipes... that always turn out and the majority of which, are pretty damn good.

by Anonymousreply 130November 12, 2020 10:13 PM

Hi Ina/r127!

by Anonymousreply 131November 12, 2020 11:47 PM

I marinated my chicken for coq au vin once, with the carrots and onions as described in the recipe. Everything was this hideous purple color. It tasted good but looked like an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 132November 13, 2020 2:40 AM

If you can’t make it yourself, store bought is fine!

by Anonymousreply 133November 13, 2020 2:43 AM

Store-bought coq au vin?

by Anonymousreply 134November 13, 2020 2:45 AM

I'm uninterested in Ina Garten's coq!!!

by Anonymousreply 135November 13, 2020 3:09 AM

I love this time of year because that means Ina's Thanksgiving shows will be on and she'll tell the story of her friend who accidentally set her oven to clean on Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 136November 13, 2020 3:23 AM

Onions:

Red - best for grilled dishes or thin sliced in salad

Yellow - sautéing

White - raw, in salads and sandwiches

by Anonymousreply 137November 13, 2020 3:24 AM

I like red onions raw, in salads and with a burger.

by Anonymousreply 138November 13, 2020 3:27 AM

He didn't look too comfortable fucking her, he could barely maintain his erection. He thinks it gives him cred to go to the straight side. He was actually shaking in that clip...he was terrified.

by Anonymousreply 139November 13, 2020 3:55 AM

R127 Sounds like you got a dog in the fight for some strange reason. All for hateful fat cunt who turns down children dying with cancer. Perhaps you should go swallow some broken glass.

by Anonymousreply 140November 13, 2020 4:14 AM

Ina is just not a kid-person. Not everybody aspires to be a frau like Mother Pence.

by Anonymousreply 141November 13, 2020 4:21 AM

Sounds like someone thinks Ina may have been visiting a certain bathroom at the Bellagio after hitting the buffet.

by Anonymousreply 142November 13, 2020 5:04 AM

My recipe is better , I'm wealthier and my husband have a bigger cock.

by Anonymousreply 143November 13, 2020 5:34 AM

Mine also looks purple R132, but that happens whether it marinates or not.

by Anonymousreply 144November 13, 2020 10:41 AM

Right, R140, you don't have a dog in this fight at all.

I do like that R139 posted in the wrong thread and no one seems to have even noticed.

by Anonymousreply 145November 13, 2020 10:42 AM

and yet what r139 wrote sounds exactly like what one would imagine the Gartens’ sex life to be like.

by Anonymousreply 146November 13, 2020 12:16 PM

Who cares about coq au vin anyway. French food is OVERRATED.

by Anonymousreply 147November 13, 2020 12:49 PM

R145. Oh yes dear,, only you noticed.

by Anonymousreply 148November 13, 2020 1:03 PM

Ina Farten is a fat old cow. She looks like she smells. I’m sure the air surrounding her smells like fart.

by Anonymousreply 149November 13, 2020 1:25 PM

Can I serve this dish to a recovering alcoholic?

by Anonymousreply 150November 13, 2020 1:33 PM

How would you like to see all that quivering buck naked on the bed waiting for you to mount her.

by Anonymousreply 151November 13, 2020 2:40 PM

Ina was hardly a "government clerk." She was a nuclear policy analyst for Richard Nixon, you idiot. Why the hate? I find her very soothing and put her show on when I need to relax.

by Anonymousreply 152November 13, 2020 2:51 PM

[quote]In Washington, Garten worked in the White House while earning an MBA[2] at George Washington University; Jeffrey worked in the State Department, completing his graduate studies. Garten was originally employed as a low-level government aide, and climbed the political ladder to the Office of Management and Budget. Eventually she was assigned the position of budget analyst, which entailed writing the nuclear energy budget and policy papers on nuclear centrifuge plants for presidents Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter.[10][11]

by Anonymousreply 153November 13, 2020 4:40 PM

Farts all around !

by Anonymousreply 154November 13, 2020 4:56 PM

Serious question: does all the booze burn off?

by Anonymousreply 155November 13, 2020 5:06 PM

R152 see R142.

by Anonymousreply 156November 13, 2020 5:20 PM

Yes, it does R155.

by Anonymousreply 157November 13, 2020 6:05 PM

r157 That's a myth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 13, 2020 8:11 PM

When it comes down to it, I'd prefer a stewed chicken and a glass of red wine.

by Anonymousreply 159November 13, 2020 8:28 PM

So it's just one guy posting all the Ina fart jokes? Obsession!

by Anonymousreply 160November 13, 2020 8:44 PM

Chicken with wine as Italians do it: flour the pieces, brown in olive oil with garlic and rosemary or sage, add salt and peppier, add white wine, let simmer until done. And there you are.

by Anonymousreply 161November 13, 2020 8:52 PM

I don't go for this fad of marinating/brining/putting rubs on perfectly good cuts of meat. Unless, as mentioned above, it would be gamy or tough without it, or you're using some quick cooking method like broiling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162November 13, 2020 8:56 PM

R162 I agree. Good meat and especially chicken with its delicate flavour needs no brining. I remember when the brining fad started I followed a NYTimes recipe for brined chicken. The recipe called for orange juice and a whole list of things. It was so mushy and awful with no chicken flavour I threw it away.

by Anonymousreply 163November 13, 2020 9:07 PM

Wasn't the whole reason for coq a vin to get rid of old, tough poultry?

by Anonymousreply 164November 14, 2020 2:36 AM

Brining can make meats taste mealy and spongy.

by Anonymousreply 165November 14, 2020 2:45 AM

In coq au vin, marinading only makes sense if you have a true old bird in the pot that needs tenderizing.

by Anonymousreply 166November 14, 2020 4:46 PM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 167November 22, 2020 5:05 AM

i need to make this. HELP

by Anonymousreply 168November 22, 2020 5:15 AM

I like her show and cookbooks, but Ina is one of those celebrities who are probably best experienced from a distance. She has problems keeping friends and admitted she has no female friends. One friend she often mentioned, the infamous Barbara Liberman, is no longer her friend and I think they live next door to each other.

by Anonymousreply 169November 22, 2020 5:37 AM

Barbara got sick of smelling Ina’s farts all the way from next door.

by Anonymousreply 170November 22, 2020 8:38 AM

[quote] Ina is one of those celebrities who are probably best experienced from a distance. She has problems keeping friends and admitted she has no female friends

Like Ina, I am exclusively friends with women who want to fuck me. Straight women can't handle our purity, our strength, our wild sexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171November 22, 2020 9:07 AM

Who knew Ina was such a divisive topic? (I like her.)

And boneless chicken breast is starting to gross me out. It IS spongy, even when you get the “good” ones, like Bell & Evans. I like the pieces on the bone, with skin and veins and the cartilage you have to put on the side of your plate. I’m thoroughly American, but the prissiness regarding meat seems to be one of our traits. It’s an animal and you’re eating its cooked carcass. Might as well eat Soylent Green if you can’t handle some bones and skin.

by Anonymousreply 172November 26, 2020 3:49 PM

My coq au vin is in the oven now. An hour away from chicken falling off the bone, melt in your mouth, with a rich wine sauce. Hopefully, this is good.

by Anonymousreply 173November 28, 2020 4:21 AM

Never be around Ina after she has eaten coq. The farts she lets out are deadly!

by Anonymousreply 174November 30, 2020 12:04 PM

Cock Oh Van

by Anonymousreply 175November 30, 2020 12:08 PM

Interesting.

I’ve always stayed away from cookbooks and cooking shows. I’m just really into experimenting in the kitchen, & making some horrible food that I wouldn’t feed a dog, but coming up with some really good shit, too.

But perhaps I should check this shit out?

I like this lady’s “keep it simple” approach to this dish I had no idea even existed.

Thanks, OP! 😘😘😘

p.s., “Coq” means cock, aka as a rooster, in French, so I came across the recipe using chicken, since chicken or “rooster” for us technical, borderline aspies, is part of the actual title of the recipe. Lol 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176November 30, 2020 12:59 PM

Ina, where can I find a "really good" coq?

by Anonymousreply 177December 1, 2020 12:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!