Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

You can't call Kamala an African American

I got schooled on that today. I didn't realize she was from Jamaican origin. Odd I'm always afraid to say black. It sounds offensive.

by Anonymousreply 159November 13, 2020 7:42 PM

She's multi racial btw.

by Anonymousreply 1November 7, 2020 11:06 PM

She's more Indian.

by Anonymousreply 2November 7, 2020 11:07 PM

Yeah I knew she was half Indian. Does she refer to herself as black?

by Anonymousreply 3November 7, 2020 11:08 PM

Just call her Madam Vice President

by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2020 11:09 PM

Just call her President-in-Waiting.

by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2020 11:11 PM

Just call her Mamala

by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2020 11:12 PM

MadamE r4 would be better.

by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2020 11:12 PM

Her mother was from modern day Sri Lanka.

Best food on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2020 11:13 PM

Just call her President in 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2020 11:13 PM

Her dad's of African descent....so how is it wrong to call her an African American?

by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2020 11:14 PM

I don't know r10. Somebody corrected me. So I guess you can call her African American. Never mind!

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2020 11:17 PM

I hope she eases up on the Hair Relaxer when she's eventually crowned President of the Mighty U.S.A. ! !

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2020 11:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2020 11:18 PM

Op she isn’t from Jamaica. Her father was. She is from California. She is biracial with immigrant parents. African-American is generally accepted to refer to persons of African descent whose ancestors were brought to the US as slaves or have been here for generations after a voluntary immigration. Descendants of at least recent Jamaican immigrants are frequently called Caribbean-American or African-Carribbean. There are differences in culture and experience. Black is the cross cutting term.

by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2020 11:19 PM

[quote] Sri Lanka

The people on that island used to known as the prettiest in all Asia.

by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2020 11:19 PM

Are you white, r12?

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2020 11:19 PM

Where do you think Jamaicans come from ? Africa!

by Anonymousreply 17November 7, 2020 11:22 PM

Can we get percentages, please?

by Anonymousreply 18November 7, 2020 11:23 PM

I don't care - she's Madam Vice President-elect now.

by Anonymousreply 19November 7, 2020 11:24 PM

Just call her President!

(and don't complain she has Short Man Syndrome)

by Anonymousreply 20November 7, 2020 11:24 PM

the black people I know from the caribbean that live in the US refer to themselves as black or afro caribbean. I have a friend from Uganda who gets annoyed when someone calls her African American. I don't think 'black' is considered a bad term now.

by Anonymousreply 21November 7, 2020 11:25 PM

[quote]Her dad's of African descent....so how is it wrong to call her an African American?

Because her dad’s not American. He lives in Jamaica.

by Anonymousreply 22November 7, 2020 11:25 PM

With 2.9 million people,[12][13] Jamaica is the third-most populous Anglophone country in the Americas (after the United States and Canada),

by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2020 11:26 PM

[quote]Because her dad’s not American. He lives in Jamaica.

SHE'S American, genius.

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2020 11:27 PM

Kamala doesn’t identify as African American or black. She was raised by a single Indian mother so she grew up identifying with Indian culture and eating Indian food and not experiencing black culture.

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2020 11:27 PM

[quote]Odd I'm always afraid to say black. It sounds offensive.

Black is beautiful. How is it offensive?

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2020 11:27 PM

I've talked to Africans from Africa and they laugh when they here the term "African-American" as they see these Americans don't know a thing about Africa and living there.

Think Lion King, Starving kids with swollen stomachs and flies buzzing around them, and Safaris.

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2020 11:28 PM

Jamaica produces good athletes and good Christian zealots.

by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2020 11:28 PM

[quote] Because her dad’s not American. He lives in Jamaica.

Obama's father was Kenyan not American, so it is wrong to call him African-American?

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2020 11:28 PM

I wonder why she went to an HBC for college then r25.

by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2020 11:29 PM

Because she wanted to get in touch with her roots. I know a Korean girl who was adopted by whites. She decided to go to a Korean college to learn about her birth culture.

by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2020 11:31 PM

Because Historical Indian Colleges don't exist in the US?

by Anonymousreply 32November 7, 2020 11:31 PM

[quote] HBC

What is that?

by Anonymousreply 33November 7, 2020 11:32 PM

Hillary Bill Clinton

by Anonymousreply 34November 7, 2020 11:33 PM

Historically black college

by Anonymousreply 35November 7, 2020 11:33 PM

Her father's grandfather was Irish (white). In Europe we would call her multi racial. In USA why is she not classified this way? Or is she?

by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2020 11:33 PM

President Kamala will make America Great Again!

by Anonymousreply 37November 7, 2020 11:34 PM

[quote]Kamala doesn’t identify as African American or black. She was raised by a single Indian mother so she grew up identifying with Indian culture and eating Indian food and not experiencing black culture.

She does identify as Black, in addition to Indian-American. In her own words:

"Harris details her mixed-race identity and upbringing in her 2019 memoir “The Truths We Hold” ( here ), describing how she and her younger sister Maya “were raised with a strong awareness of and appreciation for Indian culture,” while her mother also “understood very well that she was raising two black daughters” and “was determined to make sure (they) would grow into confident, proud black women.”"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 7, 2020 11:35 PM

R3, she identifies as black, like Obama does.

by Anonymousreply 39November 7, 2020 11:36 PM

[quote] 2019 memoir “The Truths We Hold”

Is that worth reading? Is it on line?

by Anonymousreply 40November 7, 2020 11:37 PM

[quote]In Europe we would call her multi racial. In USA why is she not classified this way? Or is she?

Most people here refer to her as biracial. She's also referred to as a Person of Color.

by Anonymousreply 41November 7, 2020 11:37 PM

Halle Berry said her mother raised her to think of herself as black since that is how the world would see her. (of course Halle is crazy so maybe not the best example.)

by Anonymousreply 42November 7, 2020 11:38 PM

Kindle link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 7, 2020 11:38 PM

Of course she has to say she identifies as black since she’s running for office. But in reality what black culture could a single Indian mother give?

by Anonymousreply 44November 7, 2020 11:39 PM

Where did you think the blacks in Jamaica came from, mon?

The original people of the islands were Taino, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 45November 7, 2020 11:40 PM

If she grew up with that skin color in America, she grew up as Black in America.

That's reality.

by Anonymousreply 46November 7, 2020 11:41 PM

[quote] skin color

She does wear lots of make up

by Anonymousreply 47November 7, 2020 11:44 PM

[quote]Of course she has to say she identifies as black since she’s running for office. But in reality what black culture could a single Indian mother give?

She grew up in California and Montreal, but she chose to go to Howard University when she was 18...so obviously she identified somewhat with Black culture.

by Anonymousreply 48November 7, 2020 11:45 PM

I look forward to 8 years of Kamala trolls on DL

by Anonymousreply 49November 7, 2020 11:47 PM

She looks very Sri Lankan to me. Apart from her height that is. I felt like a 6'3" monster in Sri Lanka. Tiny people

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 7, 2020 11:47 PM

R47, she probably wear less makeup than our current president

by Anonymousreply 51November 7, 2020 11:49 PM

^ LOL

But how tall is our new President Kamala?

by Anonymousreply 52November 7, 2020 11:51 PM

So she's only 25% black/African? 25% white/European and 50% Indian?

by Anonymousreply 53November 7, 2020 11:51 PM

OP, whoever said that was a racist lying to you.

Kamala Harris can be called African American.

WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU THINK BLACK PEOPLE IN JAMAICA CAME FROM?

by Anonymousreply 54November 7, 2020 11:54 PM

R54, you are sadly mistaken if you think most people in America think. We already know it all!

by Anonymousreply 55November 7, 2020 11:59 PM

R44: That's not true, she has talked about going to both Hindu temples and Baptist churches growing up with her sister. So has been in contact with both cultures most of her life.

R49: 12 years dear.

by Anonymousreply 56November 8, 2020 12:00 AM

Is her dad half black?

by Anonymousreply 57November 8, 2020 12:00 AM

[quote] I look forward to 8 years of Kamala trolls on DL

Only 8?

I’m thinking 16, or at least 12.

by Anonymousreply 58November 8, 2020 12:07 AM

[quote]She looks very Sri Lankan to me. Apart from her height that is. I felt like a 6'3" monster in Sri Lanka. Tiny people

[quote]But how tall is our new President Kamala?

She is 5 foot, 2 inches. Very short.

by Anonymousreply 59November 8, 2020 12:15 AM

^ Almost as short as FDR.

by Anonymousreply 60November 8, 2020 12:18 AM

op, are you a raging racist ?

by Anonymousreply 61November 8, 2020 12:19 AM

She does identify as black. Her mother marched for civil rights and met Kamala's father at a march. She raised the girls as black women as that is how they were 'read' by the dominant culture, as little black girls. Kamala then went to a HBCU and has always identified as a black woman. She also visited India every year and was penpals with her Indian grandfather so she is connected to that side too. I feel sorry for mixed race people because they get shit from both sides but if the woman says she's black, she's black. It's not up to any of us to tell her who she is.

by Anonymousreply 62November 8, 2020 12:22 AM

[quote]Kamala doesn’t identify as African American or black. She was raised by a single Indian mother so she grew up identifying with Indian culture and eating Indian food and not experiencing black culture.

Which is similar to Obama, who was raised by a white mother and didn't have much contact with the black side of his family. I remember there was talk that made him more acceptable to a broader spectrum of Americans. And there was also mention of the fact that he didn't grow up in a family that had the legacy of slavery. That's probably not the same for Harris, since it's likely that her ancestors were slaves in Jamaica.

by Anonymousreply 63November 8, 2020 12:25 AM

Kamala is black. Only white people who have no real contact with black people querulously insist on saying African American.

She's Caribbean black like Colin Powell and Harry Belafonte, Bob Marley. Jamaican Americans are black but have no history of American slavery. Obama is another African American with no history of it either. Both Harris and Obama are black, with black fathers.

Kamala has an Tamil Indian mother, from South India.

Tidbit - Tamil, a classical language, is the world oldest continuously surviving language at about 5000 years,

by Anonymousreply 64November 8, 2020 12:34 AM

People in Australia claim to have the world oldest language and world oldest culture.

by Anonymousreply 65November 8, 2020 12:37 AM

If cops had to decide whether to profile her in traffic they would refer to get as African American. Yes her father is Jamaican of African ancestry and her mother is Indian. She was born in America. She's African American if she decides to identify that way. Whoever informed you otherwise needs to sit the fuck down somewhere

by Anonymousreply 66November 8, 2020 12:54 AM

[quote] If cops had to decide whether to profile her in traffic they would refer to get as African American.

They’d probably refer to her a little worse than that.

by Anonymousreply 67November 8, 2020 12:57 AM

She's another bi-racial who claims to be black.

by Anonymousreply 68November 8, 2020 12:58 AM

Ms. Harris is whatever she says she is, and a person can be an African American AND an Indian American. Being of Jamaican ancestry doesn't make a person NOT an African American.

For fuck's sake - idiots.

by Anonymousreply 69November 8, 2020 1:01 AM

Back at the height of the Harry Potter fandom, I heard American fans refer to Dean Thomas, a black British character, as African-American.

by Anonymousreply 70November 8, 2020 1:05 AM

Regardless of how Kamala identifies, this is true:

[quote] Kamala is black. Only white people who have no real contact with black people querulously insist on saying African American

and I always cringe when I hear white people saying ‘African-American’ because they think ‘black’ is offensive.

by Anonymousreply 71November 8, 2020 1:08 AM

I know people who call themselves African-American. So there.

by Anonymousreply 72November 8, 2020 1:11 AM

Here’s the thing. No black person is going to bristle at being called black. There are black people who aren’t African-American and who are and identify as black, not AA, and would take exception at being called African-American.

Just say black.

by Anonymousreply 73November 8, 2020 1:13 AM

Kamala referred to herself as a "black woman" in her concession speech just now - as did Biden. So if that's how she classifies racially herself then I think it's best to take what they say as gospel. Black.

Now that that's done and dusted - I'm going to refer to her as Madame Vice President and Kamala Harris. The color of her skin is completely inconsequential. I really enjoyed her speech and have high hopes. Congratulations to Kamala.

This is a wonderful moment. What a great day.

by Anonymousreply 74November 8, 2020 1:15 AM

🇨🇦claims her too!

by Anonymousreply 75November 8, 2020 1:22 AM

They're not black, they're Black!

by Anonymousreply 76November 8, 2020 1:33 AM

I’m biracial (African American and Caucasian) but grew up in a predominantly white area. I wanted to attend Howard, but my dad (black) wouldn’t let me because he thought that I wouldn’t fit in. My black Aunt attended Howard a few years before Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 77November 8, 2020 1:33 AM

Concession?

by Anonymousreply 78November 8, 2020 1:33 AM

Who cares what she is or how she personally identifies? Irrelevant to her public office. So tired of people having to be some ethnicity/culture more than any other. Everyone the world over is a veritable shit mix. And haven't you heard? Hominids, regardless of color or country of ancestral origin, are an ape species so guess what? Your shit does stink and I also see you playing with yourself over in the corner.

by Anonymousreply 79November 8, 2020 1:36 AM

OMG! MY apologies. Obviously - I meant victory speech - not concession speech R78.

I'm so tired. It has been days of no sleep and fretting. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Concession speech is what we will never hear from Dump.

by Anonymousreply 80November 8, 2020 1:37 AM

ROP I can’t say black, it’s as bad as the n word to my ear. You see when I was growing up, to call someone black was as bad as calling them a n#%%^*. The polite word was “negro.” We said someone was “negro.” We didn’t have expressions like African-American, or person of color. In fact “color” was a bad word too. This wasn’t so long ago either. We’re talking the early/mid 60’s.

by Anonymousreply 81November 8, 2020 1:41 AM

R81 Times have changed, gramps. Good luck calling a BLACK person a "negro" now, see how well that goes. The 1960s were 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 82November 8, 2020 1:45 AM

Well, where do you (or whoever "schooled" you on this) think the black people on Jamaica came from?

by Anonymousreply 83November 8, 2020 1:48 AM

.... um, r82? .....

by Anonymousreply 84November 8, 2020 1:48 AM

R8 Not Sri Lankan. She was from Madras, Tamil Nadu.

by Anonymousreply 85November 8, 2020 1:50 AM

R82 The acceptable terms and the unacceptable words change every ten years.

by Anonymousreply 86November 8, 2020 1:51 AM

Thank you, R77, the terms are interchangeable, right?

by Anonymousreply 87November 8, 2020 1:52 AM

R81, what movie is that from?

by Anonymousreply 88November 8, 2020 1:52 AM

^ Guess who's coming to dinner.

by Anonymousreply 89November 8, 2020 1:57 AM

I love reading white people pontificating about this topic. You guys should have a podcast called "Clueless in Podunkville."

by Anonymousreply 90November 8, 2020 2:00 AM

Who is ROP?

by Anonymousreply 91November 8, 2020 2:03 AM

She's Jamindian.

by Anonymousreply 92November 8, 2020 2:08 AM

[quote] Who is ROP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 8, 2020 2:46 AM

R25 as others have said her mother realized that Kamala and sister would be perceived as Black and treated as Black. She ensured that her daughters had exposure to black cultural and community institutions, including but not limited to Black churches. Kamala the attended a historically Black university. America sees her as Black, so she gets to say she is Black.

Her father holds a PhD in economics and retired from a tenured position at Stanford. Her mother had a PhD in nutrition and endocrinology and did research that I believe focused on cancer. Their divorce when Kamala was 5 was extremely contentious, and she has little contact with her father.

by Anonymousreply 94November 8, 2020 2:58 AM

She’s Blackish

by Anonymousreply 95November 8, 2020 3:05 AM

Why did the mom think they would be perceived as black? They look Indian, especially the sister. She doesn’t look black at all.

by Anonymousreply 96November 8, 2020 3:26 AM

She is Indian. She is not black.

by Anonymousreply 97November 8, 2020 3:28 AM

Please write her and tell her. She’ll be so glad to be corrected. You have her address now and I’m sure she’ll thank you for setting her right at the inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 98November 8, 2020 3:32 AM

When you run trolldar on the racists the results are predictable.

by Anonymousreply 99November 8, 2020 3:33 AM

I do feel sorry for well meaning white people sometimes. My partner’s family are Caucasian. His mom is an idiot, but his dad reads and really cares. The issue is that he reads James Baldwin and Frederick Douglas. When I started seeing his son, he immediately went out to read about African American history. He read and researched. I have had to hint to him that ‘negro’ and ‘colored’ aren’t acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 100November 8, 2020 5:52 AM

Aunt Jemima

Coonala Harris

Darkie Harris

Vice President Lawn Jockey

Cotton-Picker Kamala

Kamala Kunt Klaston

Welfare Wilma and her Jew Jockey

Vice President Mutt and her Oven-Ready Husband

Jewess Monkey Lips and Second-Rate Homo Husband Harris

Vice President Jungle Bunny and Mr. Coon Lover

by Anonymousreply 101November 8, 2020 6:39 AM

I always say black because am a white passing Latina NOT Lantinx and I’m not a hysterical frightened white person like OP. Why don’t you fucking relax and stop making a big deal out of everything OP!

by Anonymousreply 102November 8, 2020 7:05 AM

Don Lemon was interviewing Rep Jim Clyburn of South Carolina last night and Clyburn referred to the next Vice President of the US, Kamala Harris as an African-American.

by Anonymousreply 103November 8, 2020 3:03 PM

May R97 rot in his racist hell.

by Anonymousreply 104November 8, 2020 8:34 PM

She now has she/her in her Twitter bio. More pandering to the trans lunatics.

by Anonymousreply 105November 8, 2020 8:38 PM

[quote]She now has she/her in her Twitter bio. More pandering to the trans lunatics.

She has to do something to acknowlege them. Having pronouns on her Twitter account is pretty minimal. It's way better than Warren's "A trans child will choose my Secretary of Education".

by Anonymousreply 106November 8, 2020 8:47 PM

We have to acknowledge that Joe is headed for a retirement home soon.

But I just hope Kamala doesn't turn into a bad-ass Kali

(Kali is the Hindu goddess who is responsible as a destroyer of evil forces. She supposedly destroys the evil in order to protect the innocent)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 8, 2020 8:51 PM

I was wondering yesterday if she is actually a descendant of slaves.

by Anonymousreply 108November 9, 2020 3:51 AM

[quote] Op she isn’t from Jamaica. Her father was. She is from California. She is biracial with immigrant parents. African-American is generally accepted to refer to persons of African descent whose ancestors were brought to the US as slaves or have been here for generations after a voluntary immigration. Descendants of at least recent Jamaican immigrants are frequently called Caribbean-American or African-Carribbean. There are differences in culture and experience. Black is the cross cutting term.

It's arguable that she is 'biracial.' She is certainly mixed race but her parents are not of two distinct, different races (biracial). Black people in the Western Hemisphere are of African descent -- in North America, the Carribean, Latin America and South America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 9, 2020 4:53 AM

She has her father's forehead and her mother's shortness.

by Anonymousreply 110November 9, 2020 5:05 AM

That's all fine and dandy OP, but what pronoun did you use?

by Anonymousreply 111November 9, 2020 8:52 AM

I'm already annoyed by the way Dutch newscasters are mispronouncing her name (to rhyme with "Pamela"). "Boosh" and "Truump" were bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 112November 9, 2020 9:06 AM

R85 is deadnaming Chennai

by Anonymousreply 113November 9, 2020 9:25 AM

I think the GOP is prepping South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem to run in 2024. She’s a liar like Trump. Her state is invested with Covid.

by Anonymousreply 114November 9, 2020 9:35 AM

But more importantly, what caste is she?

by Anonymousreply 115November 9, 2020 9:46 AM

Did the mother know there was more advantage her daughters being 'black' then 'Asian' for academic purposes?

by Anonymousreply 116November 9, 2020 9:49 AM

OP probably calls Idris Elba "African American."

by Anonymousreply 117November 9, 2020 10:00 AM

Did everyone suddenly forget “woman of color”? Now everyone breaks it down by nation?

And no duh she’s not black.

by Anonymousreply 118November 9, 2020 11:06 AM

[quote] She now has she/her in her Twitter bio. More pandering to the trans lunatics.

I remember when she blurted out her pronouns out of left field at a debate. The host Chris Cuomo’s response was, “Yeah, and my pronouns are bip, boop, bop.”

by Anonymousreply 119November 9, 2020 11:10 AM

Kamala experienced all the racism of US segregation policies. She grew up in a white racist America just as every child, grand child and great great-grandchild of slaves has. Just like the white fucks on DL have profited from white privilege without being the sons and daughters of plantation owners.

Yes, Karen, she is Black.

by Anonymousreply 120November 9, 2020 11:15 AM

Kamala identifies as black because she is black. Her father is a black Jamaican man. She's also Indian through her mother and proud of that heritage.

She went to Howard, a HBCU, and is active in the biggest black sorority in the country.

So, yes. Kamala Harris is an African American as she's an American citizen of African descent on her father's side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 9, 2020 11:38 AM

Why are you Americans so fucking obsessed with pigeon holing and labeling everyone?

She's an American.

End of fucking thread.

by Anonymousreply 122November 9, 2020 11:41 AM

[quote]She's Caribbean black like Colin Powell and Harry Belafonte, Bob Marley. Jamaican Americans are black but have no history of American slavery. Obama is another African American with no history of it either. Both Harris and Obama are black, with black fathers.

Colin Powell, Harry Belafonte, Sidney Potier, Eric Holder ... all Caribbean black. They're also descended from slavery. Obama isn't descended from slaves as his father was straight African (Kenyan). But all are African American because they're American citizens of African descent.

by Anonymousreply 123November 9, 2020 11:44 AM

[quote]Why are you Americans so fucking obsessed with pigeon holing and labeling everyone?

Because America is a nation of immigrants and not keen of erasure like the UK and France which pretend they don't see race when racism is in fact a very serious problem there.

by Anonymousreply 124November 9, 2020 11:47 AM

R82 R81 Here. “Gramps!” I love it. I wish I had grandkids.Forget daddy, I’m going to embrace my gram photos. Anyway, I agree with you. You can’t say negro! Blech! And yes, times have changed, but it is what it is, and I cringe at the use of the words black because I came of age when it was a racial pejorative. By the way, it’s it’s ok to say Black, how come it’s not ok to say Shvartz? That’s just black in German. What do they even call back people in Germany?

by Anonymousreply 125November 9, 2020 2:06 PM

E120 What a load of crap. By the way, it’s stuff like that which will lose the Dems votes in 2022 and 2024. The votes that would have gone to Trump but for his coronavirus non response. The majority of Americans don’t give a crap about racism and think blacks are responsible for their own problems. It’s just a matter of time before they go fuck you and take away your welfare, you’ve gotten enough. That will be a big part of the 3024 repug platform.

by Anonymousreply 126November 9, 2020 6:15 PM

R126 I can't quite make sense of your post but if you are trying to say THEY = white people will want to get rid of welfare = black people you are wrong because white Americans make up the majority of welfare recipients. In fact, red states have more welfare recipients per capita than blue states so abolishing welfare is not something Repubs would do as they would lose support from their base. Trying to rile the middle class up about welfare fraud and welfare queens to distract them? Right leaning politicians do that in every country.

by Anonymousreply 127November 9, 2020 8:37 PM

She’s biracial. A Black, Asian-American.

by Anonymousreply 128November 9, 2020 8:53 PM

I’m just happy her pronouns are clear.

by Anonymousreply 129November 9, 2020 9:48 PM

I remember being surprised when I first heard "person of colour" used on American television in the 00s. Describing a black person as "coloured" is considered very offensive here in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 130November 9, 2020 10:06 PM

R130, "Person of Color" or "PoC" simply means "non-White". It doesn't mean Black. It's not a synonym for Black. Black People are a subset of "People of Color", which also includes Asians, latinos, indigenous people, etc.

by Anonymousreply 131November 10, 2020 2:17 AM

Welp Micelle Obama called her a black Indian-American FWIW

by Anonymousreply 132November 10, 2020 4:46 AM

Micelle?

by Anonymousreply 133November 10, 2020 4:48 AM

Oops typo sorry

by Anonymousreply 134November 10, 2020 4:49 AM

Jamaican blacks came from Africa. She’s American and half black via African ancestry. Thus African American. What a dumb argument to say she’s not.

by Anonymousreply 135November 10, 2020 5:01 AM

[quote]Welp Micelle Obama called her a black Indian-American FWIW

WTF is this supposed to mean? MicHelle got it right.

Where did people get the idea that "black" is offensive? Christ, some of you are really insanely sheltered from race or anyone different from you. It's astounding to normal people.

by Anonymousreply 136November 10, 2020 10:16 AM

Will white people ever learn to stop telling other people what to call themselves?

by Anonymousreply 137November 10, 2020 10:17 AM

[quote]Jamaican blacks came from Africa.

Jamaican blacks come from Jamaica, Cletus.

Do you think American blacks come from Africa, too? Do you go around telling people you come from Scotland or Ireland?

by Anonymousreply 138November 10, 2020 10:18 AM

Don't the UK use BAME in the same context as 'people of color'. I've been reading that the BAME (black asian middle eastern) community is reporting more covid and higher mortality whereas in the US it would be people of color. To me people of color is more natural and humanizing.

R138 Not sure where you are but at least on the east coast a lot of people do still say they are Irish/Italian/Polish etc. because there are still quite a lot of people, esp older people, who are only 1st/2nd generation and can easily trace all 4 grandparents back to those countries.

by Anonymousreply 139November 10, 2020 3:01 PM

That does not make them correct, R139. No one from Ireland or Italy thinks you're one of them just because your grandpa came from there. Get a passport sometime and fucking use it.

by Anonymousreply 140November 10, 2020 3:36 PM

what the fuck. She sure is African American. But also Indian-american.

by Anonymousreply 141November 10, 2020 3:42 PM

Okay, I see what you did there.

She is a Black and Indian American

by Anonymousreply 142November 10, 2020 3:46 PM

R63, Obama is more African than the vast majority of people in the US who claim to be African-American.

by Anonymousreply 143November 10, 2020 3:55 PM

I don't really care about her gender or ethnicity. I just hope she'll be a good president when Joe bites the dust.

by Anonymousreply 144November 10, 2020 4:15 PM

R140 I am a Brit who lived in Ireland (where my mother was born) and now a US citizen so I have 3 passports!

by Anonymousreply 145November 10, 2020 4:19 PM

[quote] She’s biracial. A Black, Asian-American.

Are people from China and people from India the same "race"? Doesn't "Asian" refer to geography and not race, culture or ethnicity? In the photo of the VP-elect's parents they look like they could be brother and sister. They are not of different "races." They are both of mixed race.

by Anonymousreply 146November 11, 2020 4:41 PM

Fuck race and all the conversations about it. Sick of it all.

by Anonymousreply 147November 11, 2020 5:17 PM

How does she feel about cows? Does she think they're just adorable?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148November 11, 2020 5:56 PM

She’s dyslexic, R148. She thinks they are scared.

by Anonymousreply 149November 11, 2020 10:31 PM

It would be better to just say she's of mixed-heritage or something like that. She looks like a lot of people in modern America, which is a melting pot of immigrants of many ethnicities.

by Anonymousreply 150November 11, 2020 11:47 PM

She is what she needs to be depending on the situation.

by Anonymousreply 151November 11, 2020 11:52 PM

R147, imagine how sick Black people are of dealing with it every fucking day of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 152November 13, 2020 6:04 PM

Black is Black!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153November 13, 2020 6:09 PM

[quote] [R147], imagine how sick Black people are of dealing with it every fucking day of their lives.

This is why I'm always exhausted!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154November 13, 2020 6:11 PM

her mother was a Brahmin, the highest caste in India. Plus she was from Tamil Nadu, which is the seat of Indian classical civilization and culture. She has a very rich Indian legacy which we don’t hear enough of, because black is more important to voters.

by Anonymousreply 155November 13, 2020 6:25 PM

Unless you call white Americans Euro-Americans, call her American, how about that?

by Anonymousreply 156November 13, 2020 6:26 PM

Just call her the lady with the boot that's gonna kick back Pig Pence to the curb back to mother's waiting apron strings and into the closet.

by Anonymousreply 157November 13, 2020 6:46 PM

[quote] Unless you call white Americans Euro-Americans, call her American, how about that?

How about if we instead call you a cab, so you can haul your hall monitor ass out of here?

We'll call her whatever we feel like, Miss Bossy.

by Anonymousreply 158November 13, 2020 6:50 PM

[quote]Unless you call white Americans Euro-Americans, call her American, how about that?

While people call themselves things like Italian-American, Irish-American, and Ukrainian-American all the time.

by Anonymousreply 159November 13, 2020 7:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!