Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Helmut Berger "Remember me for my movies, not because of my scandals!"

He is now 75 years old and wants to withdraw from the public. He was considered the most beautiful man in the world, played Ludwig II or Dorian Gray, indulged the extravagant jet set life, never missed a scandal and was even in the RTL jungle camp in 2013. “I danced at every party. Now it is time to say goodbye and enjoy my old age with one last drink in hand. "

Born in Salzburg, his health is badly damaged and contracted five pneumonia within a year. According to "Bild", he was released from the clinic this week.

What would he wish for? "Remember me for my films, not because of my scandals!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403December 7, 2020 12:56 AM

He had a hot ass....now he doesn't

by Anonymousreply 1November 7, 2020 12:25 AM

This is code for, "Fuck off and let me drink myself to death." He was gorgeous in his youth, but the booze and drugs aged him quickly. May he drink and rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 2November 7, 2020 12:27 AM

More about the RTL jungle camp please.

by Anonymousreply 3November 7, 2020 12:36 AM

This thread is useless without gorgeous pics.

by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2020 12:36 AM

I think I’ll remember him for his name.

Helmut.

by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2020 12:37 AM

I don’t remember him for either. I don’t remember him at all.

by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2020 12:39 AM

Remember when they brought him on Dynasty to marry Fallon? And how awkward and uncomfortable they looked together, and how he seemed to be at least twenty years too old for her?

by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2020 12:39 AM

Requisite nude pics in this link...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2020 12:44 AM

I loved eating Helmet Burgers when we were kids.

Their secret sauce was just pickle relish, mayonnaise and ketchup. I liked the little helmet shaped cups the fries were served in but they were too big for my GI Joes.

Supposedly somebody was served a fried rat in their Moby Burger, but that may have been Jack in the Box. In fact, the fish sandwich at Helmet Burgers was called the Fisherman's Cap.

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2020 12:45 AM

R7 He was 38 YO in Dynasty (1982). I think he looked good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2020 12:48 AM

I just fell head over heels for r9!

Heyyyyyy.

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2020 12:49 AM

I remember seeing a trailer on YouTube for an exploitation film (probably Italian) he made in the late 1970s. He's shown slapping a woman. I expect DL would approve.

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2020 12:50 AM

I cook for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2020 12:50 AM

R12 The movie called "Beast with a gun aka Mad dog killer". It's a favorite movie of Quentin Tarantino.

by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2020 12:53 AM

76 but can pass for 89!

by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2020 12:54 AM

Whatever happened to that documentary about him where he's shown jerking off in the trailer?

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2020 1:01 AM

He has been through a lot in his life - dizzying heights ("The Damned", "Ludwig II", "The Portrait of Dorian Gray") and the deepest abysses. The actor Helmut Berger has just overcome such a depth again. Hair-sharp, as he himself thinks. His body had struggled with four pneumonia since Christmas. After many weeks in hospital and rehab, he is now back home in Salzburg.

“I felt so bad that I thought it was going to end. As soon as one pneumonia was halfway healed, the next one knocked me over again. Fortunately, good friends took care of me and even brought me my favorite food, Frankfurter sausages with horseradish, ”he explains in the Bild interview.

“I was too weak to walk and speak. Everything around me was shrouded in fog. I was on the verge of death. But I felt an irrepressible will to live in me. "

Airing soon, a very special documentary about the former world star can be seen in the cinemas - “Helmut Berger, my mother and me”, a touching work by Valesca Peters, whose mother googled her former youth idol on a whim and was appalled by his lifestyle decided to want to save him.

"Getting old is not for cowards," you hear him say - and want to agree with him ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 7, 2020 1:03 AM

At. his most beautiful on Dorian Gray (1970).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 7, 2020 1:04 AM

Claims he fucked both Mick AND Bianca.

by Anonymousreply 19November 7, 2020 1:05 AM

Claims he presented hole on all seven continents.

by Anonymousreply 20November 7, 2020 1:07 AM

R19 It's true, my dear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 7, 2020 1:08 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 7, 2020 1:16 AM

WAAAY to handsome for DL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2020 1:17 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2020 1:18 AM

[quote] WAAAY to handsome for DL.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2020 1:18 AM

The badly dubbed English version is on Youtube. Hunky American former muscleman Richard Harrison plays Santini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2020 1:19 AM

With Dirk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2020 1:19 AM

^ I bet Miss Dirk was thrilled

by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2020 1:21 AM

Marisa!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2020 1:21 AM

This isn't a repeat of the vicar who married the Romanian, is it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2020 1:22 AM

With Bill Medley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2020 1:23 AM

He’s going like Elsie

by Anonymousreply 32November 7, 2020 1:23 AM

Andy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 7, 2020 1:27 AM

And for all of you who thinks that the clock stops at midnight... it does not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 7, 2020 1:27 AM

WAAAAY [bold]To[/bold] handsome for R25.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 7, 2020 1:27 AM

Charlotte.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2020 1:28 AM

with Elke Sommer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 7, 2020 1:29 AM

Top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 7, 2020 1:30 AM

He goes from butch to queeny and back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 7, 2020 1:32 AM

[Quote]Whatever happened to that documentary about him where he's shown jerking off in the trailer?

Ha ! I was thinking about this as well. Remember the shitty little flat he lives in?

by Anonymousreply 40November 7, 2020 1:33 AM

Was he in THE CONFORMIST?

All I remember about him is he acted in some foreign films in the 1970s. I’ve seen his name more than I’ve seen him.

by Anonymousreply 41November 7, 2020 1:33 AM

Gauche turd.

by Anonymousreply 42November 7, 2020 1:35 AM

R41 No, It was Jean-Louis Trintignant in the conformist.

by Anonymousreply 43November 7, 2020 1:39 AM

Helmet fight and arrest in Rome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 7, 2020 1:50 AM

I mean "Helmut"

by Anonymousreply 45November 7, 2020 1:51 AM

"Was he in THE CONFORMIST?"

No, he was in Ludwig, The Damned, and The Garden of the Finzi-Continis

by Anonymousreply 46November 7, 2020 1:55 AM

Older than my grandfather. Eeeewwww.

by Anonymousreply 47November 7, 2020 2:00 AM

R46 and Conversation piece with Burt Lancaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 7, 2020 2:13 AM

Did he take all of Burt?

by Anonymousreply 49November 7, 2020 2:17 AM

[quote]R46 The Garden of the Finzi-Continis

I do remember Dominique Sanda in that, but little else aside from the basic premise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 7, 2020 2:20 AM

His arrogance....as if anyone is talking about him.

by Anonymousreply 51November 7, 2020 2:43 AM

R9 Have you tried to make your own with Helmut Burger Helper?

by Anonymousreply 52November 7, 2020 6:05 AM

I hope Burt Lancaster fucked him hard.

by Anonymousreply 53November 7, 2020 6:22 AM

This dude got copious amounts of Dick and Puss in his "Hey Day"!

You can now die happy, bud!!!

NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 54November 7, 2020 7:29 AM

Its very much worth tracking down the documentary of his take on life. . Its wild and a bit haunting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 7, 2020 2:36 PM

Why? He was attractive. He fucked some people. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 56November 7, 2020 2:39 PM

I think it was Jacqueline Bisset who said:

"He's not an actor. He's a waiter with an incredible ass."

by Anonymousreply 57November 7, 2020 3:20 PM

He was Visconti's great love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 7, 2020 4:44 PM

R57 Actually, Helmut Berger was a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 59November 7, 2020 5:12 PM

R55 It's almost impassible to find this documentary.

by Anonymousreply 60November 7, 2020 5:13 PM

"Impossible"

by Anonymousreply 61November 7, 2020 5:14 PM

Try SoulSeek.

by Anonymousreply 62November 7, 2020 5:15 PM

Helmut Berger Talks about Visconti's death:

"Visconti could not stop working. I was very tired so Visconti told me to visit Florinda Bolkan in her house in Rio de Janeiro. Florinda and her friends behaved strangely. Berger knew that something was wrong. After a few hours they told Berger that Visconti had died while Berger was flying from Rome to Rio.

“I had a black out. I beat up Marina, Florinda’s friend. After I had come to my senses again, I packed my suitcases and drove to the airport. I wanted to buy my first-class-ticket to Rome, but the Italian “Alitalia” took me to Rome for free. There was a state funeral for Visconti. Everyone was there: the government, Fellini, de Sica, Claudia Cardinale, Alain Delon, everyone. They all wore dark sunglasses. Only I didn’t. I wanted that people could see my face. I wanted to say goodbye to Luchino naked. Everything else seemed unreal to me. I was acting in a film, without sound, without soul, without Luchino. I was alone. God, I think I deserved it.

One year later, March, 17, 1977, I wanted to follow Luchino. I believed and hoped to meet him in his new world. What should I do down here on earth without him? My preparations were perfect. I had collected all the pills I could get. When I had enough pills, I was happy and swallowed them. But by chance, Maria, who started working in the afternoon already arrived in the morning on that day. She found me. I don’t know if this was good or not. I don’t know that, even now, twenty years later. My feelings jump from yes to no, just like a Yo-Yo. "

by Anonymousreply 63November 7, 2020 5:20 PM

He sounds rather dramatique.

by Anonymousreply 64November 7, 2020 5:22 PM

He may want to reconsider having another drink, since he has not aged particularly well. He looks like a former East German Communist dictator. I never heard of him until I googled him.

by Anonymousreply 65November 7, 2020 5:30 PM

^^ Why so many words when 'I know nothing' is sufficien?.

by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2020 5:35 PM

I love his dramatiqueen stories. Very DL.

by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2020 7:25 PM

R59 I was just saying what Jacqueline said.......

by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2020 7:50 PM

Wasn't Jacqui Bissett much the same as Berger in her first decade or so of acting?

by Anonymousreply 69November 7, 2020 7:52 PM

Such a queen. I find it difficult to believe he ever thrust into a woman.

by Anonymousreply 70November 7, 2020 7:53 PM

He does try hard to dry hump at 39:00 in the movie @ R26. Awfully unconvincing, though his nice ass is on display throughout...

by Anonymousreply 71November 7, 2020 8:04 PM

[quote]R69 Wasn't Jacqui Bissett much the same as Berger in her first decade or so of acting?

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 7, 2020 8:23 PM

Has anyone found the documentary online?

by Anonymousreply 73November 7, 2020 8:29 PM

You were pointed in the right direction at r62.

by Anonymousreply 74November 7, 2020 8:30 PM

What is SoulSeek a streaming service?

by Anonymousreply 75November 7, 2020 8:32 PM

A p2p client.

by Anonymousreply 76November 7, 2020 8:33 PM

I believe I saw the doc on HBO or Showtime but not absolutely sure. This was quite a while ago.

by Anonymousreply 77November 7, 2020 8:58 PM

R69 I thought the same. This quote is strange and ironic coming from someone like Jacqueline Bisset!!

by Anonymousreply 78November 7, 2020 9:31 PM

SoulSeek has zip.

by Anonymousreply 79November 7, 2020 9:34 PM

It has two - "Portrait" (2019) and "Helmut Berger, Meine Mutter & Ich" (2018).

by Anonymousreply 80November 7, 2020 9:39 PM

Decades ago a famous German prostitute with a heart of gold Domenica Niehoff took him in when everybody else abandoned him. He was too much for her, and she threw him out.

by Anonymousreply 81November 7, 2020 9:47 PM

R80 What I am doing wrong?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 7, 2020 9:51 PM

Damn now I want to see this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 7, 2020 9:54 PM

Jonathan Rhys Meyers followed his career and life path.

by Anonymousreply 84November 7, 2020 9:57 PM

r82

It's a peer 2 peer client. You have to download the program. You don't download the movie from the site.

by Anonymousreply 85November 7, 2020 10:11 PM

Helmut Berger Talks about Visconi (in German):

Translation:

"Everyone knows that Visconti discovered me, everyone knows that so why do you ask me this string of questions about him?

He's not here any more!

And so what my dear, Life goes on. I cry alone alone in this room, I cry not infront of you, not infront of the press or brothers and sisters.

It's my secret, my sex life and my state.

Ok. Fuck you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 7, 2020 10:57 PM

It sounds like Mr Berger is something of a one trick pony.

by Anonymousreply 87November 7, 2020 11:00 PM

Helmut Berger with his wife Francesca Guidat. (They were married in 1994 but they are now separated)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 8, 2020 1:03 AM

Oh pleeze

by Anonymousreply 89November 8, 2020 1:06 AM

Helmut Berger's wife interview:

"They had first met at Jackie'O, a famous disco in Rome, He had already asked her to marry him 24 hours after they met, when he was 34 and Francesca was only 17, but she had accepted after 16 years that he kept asking her. but two and a half years after the marriage she had asked for a divorce because, as she tells me, "He has done all sorts of things to me and I have always tried to understand. But the time had come to say enough. I couldn't take it anymore. I knew about her bisexual nature and it would have hurt less if she had cheated on me with a man. Instead he cheated on me with a woman. And what a woman!

One who has always deliberately worn the clothes of a mother, because she knew how close Helmut was to his mother. Perhaps for someone who has lived through all possible transgressions in life, all we needed was for him to be with someone who played the role of mother for him. I could never tell everything that I have forgiven, justified and tried to understand. At that point I couldn't go on anymore".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 8, 2020 1:12 AM

"I knew about his bisexual nature and it would have hurt less if he had cheated on me with a man. Instead he cheated on me with a woman. And what a woman!"

by Anonymousreply 91November 8, 2020 1:14 AM

[quote]"Getting old is not for cowards," you hear him say - and want to agree with him ...

Sounded better when Bette Davis said it.

by Anonymousreply 92November 8, 2020 1:19 AM

Everything connected to Helmut Burger sounds like it was scripted by a hack writer of melodrama.

by Anonymousreply 93November 8, 2020 1:22 AM

All those years would diminish anybody's looks, but Helmut smoked and drank like there was no tomorrow. He's lucky to still be alive. For now.

by Anonymousreply 94November 8, 2020 1:31 AM

Continued (Helmut Berger's wife interview):

" I think he really has a split personality. I don't think there is malice is in his temperament. I just think that sometimes life is hard and the hardest moment for Helmut, before his mother's death, was the death of Luchino.

"Helmut was very affectionate with me in the past. When my mother-in-law died, I called him. He should have made the first phone call in years, but when faced with illness and death, I don't pay attention to these things. On the phone he told me: 'As we had sworn that day, in joy and pain, here you are. And then he told me many sweet things".

My daughter was also very attached to Helmut, whom she called father. "When Helmut had said that he would probably end up in a nursing home, my daughter had assured him that as long as she was alive, she would not allow such a thing. He wanted so much for this daughter to be his. And it was he who advised her to be an actress, as she has become.

I think that he's fine...even if he keeps on doing stupid things. The last one a very short time ago. I was looking after, with his permission, a Facebook page that bore his name. With time we had reached a good following. Well, he called me to ask me to delete it. I have a lot of patience, I did it and I replied that he does wrong only to himself, not to me".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 8, 2020 1:32 AM

He's married? To a female?

by Anonymousreply 96November 8, 2020 2:02 AM

A female who got the idea of making a Facebook page for him... probably a nutty fan.

by Anonymousreply 97November 8, 2020 2:03 AM

R97 Yes, she obsessed with him, they were separated (not divorced) in 1999 and she's always talking about him in interviews.

With his wife and step daughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 8, 2020 2:10 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 8, 2020 2:12 AM

R63, Poor Marina, got her ass beat by a raging queen. All she did was care!! Smh.

by Anonymousreply 100November 8, 2020 2:20 AM

«We first met at Jackie O 'in 1978. That evening he entered as the god Apollo and, after pointing at me, he came in my direction inviting me to dance. His aristocratic class exercised an incredible magnetism, which was why I fell in love with him, but when people told me he was gay they broke the spell. One night we shared a bed in a residence and, waking up, I found him on me, I realized then that the rumors about him were only partially true ».

and with visconti ... : "Helmut had a strong dependence on Visconti, but all the actors involved in the director's productions seem branded for life: I had an affair with Renato Salvatori, who showed the same affective subordination to Luchino. I understand that Helmut was not the only one to share the alcove with the director, he was rather the only one who exposed himself enough to reveal it. Men and women who worked with Visconti, because of the idea I got, "paid the duty" ».

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101November 8, 2020 2:38 AM

"Helmut Berger charged with bigamy"

Helmut Berger has problems in Italy. The actor has been charged with bigamy in Rome by his Italian wife Francesca Guidato. Guidato submitted the ad after learning that Berger married his then partner, designer Florian Wess, in Ibiza two months ago.

"We live separately, but we are not divorced," reported Guidato, who has been married to Berger since 1994,

Berger manager Helmut Werner gave the report to the APA . "That was not a legally valid marriage, it was just a ceremony that has no legal consequences," said Werner. In addition, Wess and the former "most beautiful man in the world" have now separated again. "Ms. Guidato would apparently like to appear in the media again, in the many years that I have looked after Helmut Berger, I have not noticed anything of her existence," said Werner.

Guidato, herself an actress, had already sued her husband once after he had referred to her in the international media as a "whore" who wanted to rob him of his money. "I've never received alimony from Berger. He would have to pay me around 550,000 euros now," said the Italian, who met the actor in 1979.

Guidato agreed to withdraw her complaint if Berger apologized to her and publicly admitted that the wedding with Wess was merely a publicity stunt to attract media attention."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102November 8, 2020 3:13 AM

Florian may look like that Romanian "twink" but Berger remains the scammer.

by Anonymousreply 103November 8, 2020 3:17 AM

[quote]R88 “Everyone knows that Visconti discovered me. Everyone knows that.”

Oh, do we?

by Anonymousreply 104November 8, 2020 3:17 AM

Is Helmut a Datalounger?

by Anonymousreply 105November 8, 2020 3:29 AM

R102, Helmut's manager is named Helmut as well, Hell, that must be confusing.

by Anonymousreply 106November 8, 2020 4:46 AM

He had a beautiful, plump ass that was incongruous with that lean little body. And Visconti was a lucky sonofabitch that he got to fuck it!

by Anonymousreply 107November 8, 2020 5:14 AM

Helmut Berger wedding photos (From Francesca's facebook page)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 8, 2020 12:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 8, 2020 12:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 8, 2020 12:20 PM

"With Helmut Berger for our wedding - Guinness world record achieved, now married for 25 years, and being "Ludwig" was not predictable. 19.11.1994 💍💍"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111November 8, 2020 12:22 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 8, 2020 12:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 8, 2020 12:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114November 8, 2020 12:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 8, 2020 12:26 PM

Has Pamela Sue weighed in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116November 8, 2020 12:26 PM

He's a boozer, user and a loser!

by Anonymousreply 117November 8, 2020 12:32 PM

This woman is hilarious, they were married for few years, separated in 1998. Helmut Berger obviously doesn't want anything to do with her, and always trashing her whenever her name is mentioned (in his book and in the press) but she's still holding onto him and always talking about him in interviews and reminiscing about him on her social media posts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 8, 2020 12:37 PM

Is Marisa Berenson's husband gay as well?

by Anonymousreply 119November 8, 2020 12:40 PM

It's sort of a wonder he didn't die of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 120November 8, 2020 12:54 PM

R119 Marisa's only sister is Berry Perkins who was married to gay actor Anthony Perkins!

by Anonymousreply 121November 8, 2020 12:58 PM

R120 According to him. He always used protection since the 1970s when he first heard of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 122November 8, 2020 12:59 PM

Her sister WAS Berry...

by Anonymousreply 123November 8, 2020 12:59 PM

No one heard of AIDS in the 1970s. And I'm skeptical that a drunk (and cokehead?) always used protection. Maybe that (formerly) plump ass saw no action.

by Anonymousreply 124November 8, 2020 1:00 PM

Marisa Berenson calls Helmut Berger the love of her life:

"MON AMOUR, Helmut Berger,

It was thanks to him that I started in cinema. I met him in New York and we fell head over heels in love. He introduced me to Visconti, with whom he lived (he was bisexual), and Luchino offered me to play in “Death in Venice”, although I had never made a film. He also wanted me to marry Helmut! "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 8, 2020 1:09 PM

Marisa Berenson prefers the ladies so its no surprise she and Helmut constructed their story of great love.

by Anonymousreply 126November 8, 2020 2:31 PM

Hardly. She dated John Travolta!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 8, 2020 3:46 PM

Joan Collins wrote about Berger’s tenure on “Dynasty” in her book, “Second Act”. Apparently, Berger would stay up all night partying and carousing (stop the presses!) and stagger onto the set looking much the worse for wear. The rigid shooting schedule of an hour-long TV series didn’t mix with Berger’s European background, and the producers and Berger agreed to move on after Berger’s original contract was up.

by Anonymousreply 128November 8, 2020 4:43 PM

"Marisa Berenson prefers the ladies so its no surprise she and Helmut constructed their story of great love."

So I guess they're the Eurotrash version of Hugh and Deb

by Anonymousreply 129November 8, 2020 4:57 PM

Why should we remember him for his sandals? Were they nice?

by Anonymousreply 130November 8, 2020 5:06 PM

R128. Interesting. He only did 9 episodes, but I guess was contracted for at least of the rest of the season. Which would explain why he skipped out on Fallon so soon. Plus they killed his character off in a plane crash, so they really didn’t want him back.

by Anonymousreply 131November 8, 2020 5:15 PM

Helmut Berger Talks about Dynasty (from his book):

"About his time in "Dynasty - Denver Clan" (1983/84). Producer Aaron Spelling wanted him to play a European playboy. He had to play a man who only wants his wife's money and is hooked on cocaine. But Berger did not like working in Hollywood. He describes it like a factory, every week the production team changed and another director was responsible for every new episode. This was not the place to be for an actor who used to work with Visconti.

For the eight months in Hollywood Berger took an apartment in which he lived with his coach. Soon he fired her because she made phone-calls to Europe which Berger had to pay. His colleagues Linda Evans, Joan Collins, Pamela Sue Martin and John Forsythe were friendly in the beginning, and so were Spelling's secretaries. But Berger immediately realized that they did not mean what they said. He never liked America and its citizens.

"During the first four weeks I gave my best. No cocaine, no alcohol. I needed a clear head, because the actors got their text in the morning and we only had little time to learn it." Soon Berger was disappointed. None of his colleagues invited him to their houses, none of them thanked him for his presents. He realized that Hollywood means "making business without any soul".

His only fun were the weekends where he met his friend Jack Nicholson and other stars. They smoked a few joints and felt wonderful. Berger likes Nicholson and calls him "one of the funniest men I know". Berger told him about his problems and Nicholson said: "The role is good for you. Everyone in America sees you. You become famous."

But then the "Denver"-people said that Berger was not allowed to met people like Nicholson or Marlon Brando because everyone in Hollywood knew that those people were sniffing cocaine. "I could not believe it. All those jerks. Puritans. But secretely they all watch porno movies. I did not follow their rules. I had to come to the office every second day. They told me that my role would slowly disappear, if I would not do what they said. I answered: 'You really believe that I stay at home and don't meet my friends? Really? Heil Hitler.' So I was only part of 'Denver' for eleven episodes. In the end my airplane crashed against a mountain."

Only when his shootings for "Denver" where over, Berger felt better and started to have fun in Hollywood. He stayed there for one month longer. He did a lot of shopping, was invited by Warren Beatty, and Barbra Streisand was giving a dinner for him. "I met Grace Jones, Linda Blair, Sally Kellerman, Richard Dreyfuss, Michael Douglas and Michelle Philips. And, of course, Marisa Berenson who was divorced from her first husband, billionaire Jimmy Rendall. I was totally high when I left Hollywood, this magical place of false illusions."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132November 8, 2020 5:44 PM

What were his scandals?

by Anonymousreply 133November 8, 2020 6:19 PM

He must have been absolute hell on set.

by Anonymousreply 134November 8, 2020 6:34 PM

Berger talks about his life with Visconti in this documentary from 2003. Their story starts from 1:11:40 on. He is amusing and a bit sarcastic when speaks about life in Visconti's palace, still jealous on Delon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 8, 2020 6:35 PM

He looked pretty hard at age 38. Like all the youthful springiness in his face disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 136November 8, 2020 6:35 PM

"He is amusing and a bit sarcastic when speaks about life in Visconti's palace, still jealous on Delon."

Is Delon still trashing gay people despite having been a kept boy?

by Anonymousreply 137November 8, 2020 6:41 PM

Helmut Berger: ' I will never forgive Delon"

Austrian actor Helmut Berger reveals himself in an autobiography. He explains why he had so much hatred for another favorite actor of Visconti , Alain Delon : " I didn't really know Delon. I was closer to Nathalie, his ex-wife. I will never forgive him to have manipulated their son, Anthony, then 5 years old, to reach Luchino Visconti.

Delon made him write love letters to Visconti, signed with his small child's hand. I found that repugnant. Visconti never discussed Delon with me, despite my questions. Delon had the chance to shoot Le Guépard and Rocco and his brothers under the direction of Luchino. There shouldn't have been another film. I did everything to prevent this from happening again. I was clear with Visconti by saying to him: 'It's Delon or me.' I admit, I took good care of his case .

"One day, Alain Delon knocked on the door, I went to open it and, to upset him , I asked his name. I told him, 'I don't know you sir' and slammed the door in his face. "

by Anonymousreply 138November 8, 2020 6:44 PM

Delon made his 5 YO child write love letters to Visconti. Was Luchino a pedophile?!

by Anonymousreply 139November 8, 2020 6:48 PM

R139 No.

"Visconti was very bossy, in work, in love, in sex..." 1:20:00

by Anonymousreply 140November 8, 2020 6:54 PM

Alain Delon denies sleeping with Visconti and accused Helmut Berger of spreading this rumor!

-How did you take the rumors about the connection between Visconti and you?

Delon answered rather harshly:

- this came from his German friend. This German jerk was jealous of the relationship between me and Visconti. He also taught me a lot, I am very obliged to him.

by Anonymousreply 141November 8, 2020 6:55 PM

R140 I'm referring to what Helmut Berger said in R138.

" I will never forgive Delon to have manipulated their son, Anthony, then 5 years old, to reach Luchino Visconti. Delon made him write love letters to Visconti, signed with his small child's hand. I found that repugnant."

by Anonymousreply 142November 8, 2020 6:57 PM

R142 I know what you were referring to. Don't take every word of a jealous man for truth.

by Anonymousreply 143November 8, 2020 7:00 PM

Didn't Karl Lagerfeld keep a male model around longer than he otherwise would because the model had a son?

by Anonymousreply 144November 8, 2020 7:00 PM

The documentary is worth watching. Charlotte Rampling (1:20:40) about how Visconti saw Berger. Later, Dirk Bogarde tells how his role in The Damned was disseminated for Berger's.

by Anonymousreply 145November 8, 2020 7:11 PM

R143 I believe what Helmut Berger said. Delon was well known of being manipulative, ruthless and highly ambitious. I don't put it (making his son writing letters to Visconti) past him.

Delon denies sleeping with Visconti and accuses Hemut of spreading the rumor, even though "the rumor" made the rounds before Helmut even met Visconti!

by Anonymousreply 146November 8, 2020 7:12 PM

Even Richard Burton wrote in his diaries about Visconti and Delon.

by Anonymousreply 147November 8, 2020 7:14 PM

R145 In this documentary, Charlotte Rampling said that Visconti channeled his inner demons in Berger's character in the "Damned". He played a perverted pedophile in the film . Again was Visconti a closet pedophile?

by Anonymousreply 148November 8, 2020 7:17 PM

[Quote]. I told him, 'I don't know you sir' and slammed the door in his face. "

Don't mess with my man, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 149November 8, 2020 7:37 PM

No, R148 what "perverted pedophile" in The Damned are you talking about? Your claims may better match a superficial understanding of Death in Venice (Berger was not even in the movie + Thomas Mann was not even gay)

by Anonymousreply 150November 8, 2020 7:39 PM

"I cried all the way to work and laughed all the way to the bank."

Helmut on his Dynasty stint.

by Anonymousreply 151November 8, 2020 7:54 PM

R150, did you watch the movie? If so, recently? I haven't seen it in more than 20 years but I recall a scene where Martin is playing with a Jewish girl and he's clearly preying on her. Later the girl commits suicide.

by Anonymousreply 152November 8, 2020 7:55 PM

Not recently, R152. But even if that scene exists it is only to depict evil, certainly not to "channel his pedophilia" (and with a girl!?). Btw, was Thomas Mann a pedophile (and gay) in your opinion, was he "channeling his perverted pedophilia" in Death in Venice? Re Visconti again and for the last time: no, he was not a pedophile.

by Anonymousreply 153November 8, 2020 8:03 PM

R153, I'm not that poster. I answered your question in R150. Martin was clearly a pervert and a pedophile. I can only comment on the movie and character. I don't know enough about Visconti or Mann to make any comments on their sexual practices.

by Anonymousreply 154November 8, 2020 8:18 PM

R143 Delon is a liar

by Anonymousreply 155November 8, 2020 8:36 PM

So Visconti plowed Delon's ass?

by Anonymousreply 156November 8, 2020 8:48 PM

He has two sides - one nice and kind as an angel the other bad as the devil. He goes on and tells the reader a few examples of people who got to know his dark side: Alain Delon who wanted to take his part on Visconti's side (Berger: "I fucked Delons wife Nathalie I really liked her. We had fun in bed together with Maria Schneider who became famous on Marlon Brando's side in "The Last Tango in Paris". To make my success complete I contacted a journalist and made sure that Delon got to know about the whole affair. It is dangerous to pick a fight with me." From "Ich".

by Anonymousreply 157November 8, 2020 8:59 PM

I don't think he was all that special.

It's just that Visconti put him in the right place at the right time. And the right place and the right time was wealthy Europe with gay sex and penises.

His body has aged just everyone else has aged.

by Anonymousreply 158November 8, 2020 9:18 PM

[quote] Conversation piece with Burt Lancaster.

That was beyond tedious. It had the glamour with Silvana Mangano but I cam only assume it was a cheap TV movie because it was nothing but talking heads for two hours.

'Ludwig' was also done for TV but Visconti used more stars and filmed it in a cinematic manner.

by Anonymousreply 159November 8, 2020 9:36 PM

R150 Helmut Berger's character in "The Damned" was a PEDOPHILE. It was made clear and obvious. Google the movie and you will know.

"Martin, an amoral, sexually deviant playboy who is secretly molesting his young cousin as well as a poor Jewish girl."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 8, 2020 11:19 PM

The detailed scenes of Martin seducing and kissing the young Jewish child was nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 161November 8, 2020 11:20 PM

I get the reference at R32 but not the one at R34.

by Anonymousreply 162November 8, 2020 11:29 PM

161. It was meant to be so. The film was about EVIL.

by Anonymousreply 163November 8, 2020 11:37 PM

R59 What makes you say he "was a good actor"? Did you see him on stage without a director telling him what to do? Which do you think was his best performance?

I didn't know him as well as Jacqueline Bisset, R57, but I thought of him as Luchino Visconti's puppet, and as an imitation Alain Delon. and as just another twink with a skinny chest, wide hips and a willingness to expose his penis to feed the repressed desire of millions of gay men back in those unhappy puritanical decades.

by Anonymousreply 164November 8, 2020 11:47 PM

R163 Whatever, Martin character in The Damned was a twisted sick pedo (Visconti even unnecessarily detailed the pedophilia scenes). And it was Charlotte Rampling (who was also in the movie) that said she thought Visconti transformed Berger's character into him (Visconti) and channeled his inner demons through it.

It's Charlotte's claims not me.

by Anonymousreply 165November 8, 2020 11:47 PM

Who are you calling wide hipped!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 8, 2020 11:50 PM

Bisset did not make that comment It was Rampling and she was only repeating what Visconti said about Berger.

by Anonymousreply 167November 8, 2020 11:50 PM

R164 I saw him in Many movies (without Visconti's direction) and he was a good and captivating actor.

by Anonymousreply 168November 8, 2020 11:51 PM

He truly did have a hot ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 8, 2020 11:52 PM

Yes, R166, child-bearing hips and a flat chest.

(I'm obviously not a fan of either twink, but I think the young Alain Delon's face was a little more prettier than the young Helmut's)

by Anonymousreply 170November 8, 2020 11:55 PM

I wish the copyright owner would allow a sensitive editor to bring out a shortened 2 hour version of Visconti's 'Ludwig'. So many fabulous costumes, music, pretty men (including a genuinely pretty 19 year old twink called John Moulder-Brown).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171November 9, 2020 12:02 AM

Is John Moulder Brown still around?

by Anonymousreply 172November 9, 2020 12:05 AM

"Child bearing hips." Pure nonsense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173November 9, 2020 12:06 AM

I guess so, r172.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174November 9, 2020 12:07 AM

Did Moulder Brown also peddle his ass to Visconti?

by Anonymousreply 175November 9, 2020 12:18 AM

[quote] The rigid shooting schedule of an hour-long TV series didn’t mix with Berger’s European background

That sounds like a good enough for Rex Harrison to turn down an offer to appear on that Dynasty show

by Anonymousreply 176November 9, 2020 12:19 AM

Now, if we're talking child bearing hips...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177November 9, 2020 12:22 AM

^ Puppy fat!

He was 17 at the time. He slimmed down beautifully later

by Anonymousreply 178November 9, 2020 12:25 AM

From Helmut Berger's book:

"Boredom and injustice are the things I hate the most." Berger has a heart for the weak and suppressed. He once was in jail because he started a street fight in Rome after the police had arrested a black musician without any cause. It was a Friday and he had to stay in prison until Monday. It was not Berger's only time there.

Another story: "I had diner with Flora and Marcello Mastroianni, Ursula Andress and Tomas Milian. I heard that there are police controls because they were looking for terrorists. I was curious and left my guests and told them I had a phone call from Hollywood." The police stopped his car, he was furious and ended in prison again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179November 9, 2020 12:34 AM

[quote] Flora

Florinda Bolkan not Flora Robson

by Anonymousreply 180November 9, 2020 12:44 AM

Berger talks about Visconti's testament : "I am often asked about his testament . His family told me that his last will has disappeared. But his butler told me that the testament was robbed. But I did not want to provoke a scandal after his death. ... Only sometimes I am sad about the loss of our summer-house in Castelgandolfo. It would have been his gift for me. But so what? 'C'est la vie!'

I need love! The endless theme of my life is my longing for love. I just can't get enough love." I have two sides - one nice and kind as an angel the other bad as the devil. He goes on and tells a few examples of people who got to know his dark side:

Alain Delon "I fucked Delon's wife Nathalie I really liked her. We had fun in bed together with Maria Schneider who became famous on Marlon Brando's side in "The Last Tango in Paris". To make my success complete I contacted a journalist and made sure that Delon got to know about the whole affair. It is dangerous to pick a fight with me.".

Glenda Jackson who thought he was a minor actor, his fiancee Marisa Berenson (She wanted to marry him but he always knew that he is not the type of guy who sits at home and watches his children grow up. Berger needs his freedom so he had to hurt Marisa.

Richard Burton, who mistreated Elizabeth Taylor, Berger sprayed chocolate truffles on a couch just before Burton lay down there. When he stood up again to go to the film set his trousers were all brown. "Richard looked shit.".

"Linda Blair - we had a wild, fast flirt. We had an affair in the 'Chateau Marmont' in Hollywood. But I also had sex with her brother. He seduced me. It was a family-affair. I hope that God will not damn me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 9, 2020 12:49 AM

[quote]R181 Linda Blair - we had a wild, fast flirt. We had an affair in the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood. [bold]But I also had sex with her brother. He seduced me. It was a family-affair. I hope that God will not damn me."[/bold]

[italic]Your brother sucks cocks in hell!

by Anonymousreply 182November 9, 2020 12:54 AM

OMG, he was awful on Dynasty. Bad acting, poorly written character, (strong) Fallon was (implausibly) weakened by his charms, etc. Watching the entire series again all these years later, the show REALLY declined when he joined the show around the middle of season 4. Worse than Moldavia, Dominique Devereux, and Amanda #2!

by Anonymousreply 183November 9, 2020 12:56 AM

If Visconti was the Number one man of his life, actress Brit Ekland is the Number one woman. They are friends for over thirty years and he says he loves her since then, but there was always something between them.

Back then Ekland was married to Peter Sellers. Berger says: “Brit had such energy, he could not keep up with her pace”.) Then she was the wife of a rich man from Venice and then she was married to an American film producer. After that she married singer Rod Stewart.

Berger even made a marriage proposal to her after her divorce from Stewart during a dinner in his flat in Rome. But Ekland didn’t answer. Maybe Ekland knew that it would not work and that Berger is not the guy to live with for the rest of her life.

When Visconti did not go to Salzburg in one of the following years, Berger gave wild parties. But the wildest parties were those with his craziest clique, rich friends from Paris. They were in St-Tropez over the summer. “We let girls from Sweden fly in. We fucked them for three days and sent them home again. We were a famous clique, but people did not really like us, especially the nobility.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184November 9, 2020 1:14 AM

Wasn't Ekland only Stewart's girlfriend?

by Anonymousreply 185November 9, 2020 1:16 AM

R185 This is roughly translated from German. So maybe there are some "lost in translation" errors.

by Anonymousreply 186November 9, 2020 1:21 AM

Sorry not buying all his lady stories. This big queen is known first and foremost for being a ridiculous liar.

by Anonymousreply 187November 9, 2020 1:21 AM

R187 He's bisexual, so it's not far fetched.

by Anonymousreply 188November 9, 2020 1:23 AM

Berger writes about his friendship with Liz Taylor. They shot “Ash Wednesday” together. Richard Burton was very jealous when Berger and his wife had to play a love scene. They all celebrated new year’s party in Switzerland afterwards, Burton broke his arm, because he was drunk and fell. Berger liked him, although Burton often treated his wife Liz Taylor bad.

Visconti suffered a stroke after cutting Ludwig II. the whole night through. One half of his body was paralyzed after that. Visconti had smoked 80 cigarettes a day his whole life.

Berger went to Paris again and talked to Romy Schneider. Her brother was a famous doctor and chief of a hospital in Zürich, Switzerland. They brought Visconti there for his operation. It was a success. After some time he even started to walk again. Visconti could not stop working.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189November 9, 2020 1:30 AM

1960s mini dresses did not suit Liz.

by Anonymousreply 190November 9, 2020 1:45 AM

Visconti's death, The shock of my life. I used strong alcoholics, drank them more and more often. I knew: My life is divided in the Helmut Berger before Luchino Visconti and the one with L.V. And, of course, the one after L.V. And this one could be a nightmare.”

I was out of my mind for the next years. For the other directors I was a ‘Viscontian’ actor. Without Luchino I was not half the man and actor I used to be. He had tainted me. Tainted by the beautiful things in life. The taste in his films, the style, the design. … All those things were reasons for my suicide attempt.

The producers fear that I want my own make-up artist, Alberto del Rossi, that I want my own secretary. They fear class and style. But I believe in the creative power in artists. I don’t give up. A project with Fassbinder did not work out. He wanted to work with me. I sat in the cafe and waited. He arrived an hour late together with a friend, just as I was about to leave. He was full of cocaine. I told him that I could not talk to him in the state he was in. And I left.

Fassbinder tried to get me for two of his films later. But I did not like the fact that Fassbinder never had a script and only followed his intuition. And I also did not like Fassbinder’s looks, his dirty leather-clothes and that he had not shaved for days.”

by Anonymousreply 191November 9, 2020 1:47 AM

[quote] 1960s mini dresses did not suit Liz. Not suitable for Dick, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192November 9, 2020 1:58 AM

Visconti was a bit conservative. Visconti wanted correctness. As a result, Berger has a few strange obsessions now: He is hooked on cleaning his flat up, it cannot be clean enough. Then he loves to rearrange his furniture – all night long.

And he has a passion for packing suitcases. He describes it as a sort of science. He says he needs a whole day to pack his thing when he travels. The most important thing is that his clothes do not have creases afterwards. He prefers rearranging his furniture or cleaning his flat to drugs and alcohol nowadays. But he sometimes still feels the need to drink or to other nasty things.

Sometime when Visconti wrote scripts, Berger visited pop-concerts. He loved and still loves the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan. The Beatles played a concert in Rome in 1967. Visconti wanted to make Berger happy, so he invited the Fab Four to a private dinner. They talked about music. Visconti said that pop and classical music should come together, they should make a concert with Leonard Bernstein. The Beatles were enthusiastic about this idea, but their manager did not like it.

Berger liked all four of the Beatles, but he had the best relationship to Ringo Starr, they are still friends. The superstars were all a bit shy and nervous because of Visconti. But when he talked about his opera productions for too long, they also got a bit bored. Still they talked until six in the morning. Visconti wanted to understand Berger’s passion for pop music.

He was the perfect host, but after the Beatles had left he said: “Why don’t they cut their hair?” Berger also wanted to have long hair, but Visconti had forbidden it.

by Anonymousreply 193November 9, 2020 2:06 AM

Berger talks about his friendship with Rolling Stones singer Mick Jagger. They were partying in New York, Paris, everywhere. No city was safe from them. Bianca Jagger was there, too. Berger liked both of them, he even landed in bed with them.

The window of their hotel room was open, so they awoke at noon. Beneath their window was the garden of the hotel, with an outdoor cafe. Mick and Helmut could not fall asleep again. Angry, as they were, they urinated on the heads of the guests of the cafe. Of course, their hotel bill was enormously high. There are bans on Berger entering the Paris “Plaza”, the Munich “Four Seasons” and “Palace”.

Berger’s cocaine-career started in 1971 in Rome (Nightclub “Number One”). “It was the jet-set-drug. If everybody was on it, I had to be too. You know, I am very easily influenced by other people. I wanted to be “in” back then. Immediately I took half a pound… "Most people don't realize it but I am quite shy. I often drank alcohol to get more relaxed. Or I took drugs before a film premiere."

He says cocaine is dangerous and we should not touch it but in the seventies it was his number-one happy-maker. Visconti soon recognized that something was wrong with him and sent him to a psychiatrist. But Berger said that he cannot sleep because he has to think about his acting so much.

Only in 1974 Visconti found out about Berger sniffing cocaine. He controlled his nightlife, took away his keys. But - as always - nobody could stop him.

He then goes back to 1974 and talks about the famous “Bad taste” Party on his 30th birthday in the famous “Jackie O.”Nightclub in Rome. Everyone: Valentino, Bianca Jagger, or Ursula Andress dressed in strange kind of ways. The more cocaine there was the crazier the party people became. Over the past few years he became more and more thoughtful about many things in his life.

by Anonymousreply 194November 9, 2020 2:31 AM

[quote]r190 1960s mini dresses did not suit Liz.

And yet, preferable to her skanky hot pants and gogo boots phase?

I vote Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195November 9, 2020 2:53 AM

[quote]BERGER: “I also did not like Fassbinder’s looks, his dirty leather-clothes and that he had not shaved for days.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196November 9, 2020 2:58 AM

R195 Ewww

by Anonymousreply 197November 9, 2020 3:14 AM

Joan Collins mentions his brief tenure on DYNASTY in one of her books -- he couldn't keep up with the fast pace of American television production, and didn't want to curtail his partying.

by Anonymousreply 198November 9, 2020 3:44 AM

FYI. The Damned is available free on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 199November 9, 2020 4:47 PM

[R169] And that photo was taken by old perv Visconti. Talk about flaunting what was yours!

Visconti was a great artist in the traditional sense of the word, but the Berger years were a serious lapse in judgement. Berger was a horrible actor.

by Anonymousreply 200November 9, 2020 5:31 PM

Helmut Berger was no Horst Buchholz.

by Anonymousreply 201November 9, 2020 6:08 PM

Feud: Berger vs Delon We need this !

by Anonymousreply 202November 9, 2020 7:36 PM

Yes. Feud: Berger vs Delon vs Udo Keir.

by Anonymousreply 203November 9, 2020 9:27 PM

There is a very amusing movie called Un beau monstre (aka Love me strangely) in 1971 with Helmut Berger, Virna Lisi and Charles Aznavour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204November 9, 2020 9:55 PM

R200 = Alain Delon

by Anonymousreply 205November 9, 2020 9:56 PM

Am I out of touch? I don’t remember him or his scandals.

by Anonymousreply 206November 9, 2020 9:58 PM

You were too busy attending to Peter Berlin, r206.

by Anonymousreply 207November 9, 2020 10:01 PM

Helmut Berger talks about Romy Schneider:

"The actor ('Ludwig II') told BILD how much he still missed his best friend, who was "like a sister" to him. Although Romy Schneider ("Sissi - The Young Empress") had already died in Paris in 1982, Helmut Berger cannot forget her. Cruel irony of fate: The actress died of a heart attack on his birthday, May 29th.

"I put a lot of photos of Romy in my apartment. When I look at the pictures, I remember the good times we had together."

“She was a torn person - that's probably why we got along so well and could understand each other ..., sometimes she was right at the top, then, bye, at the bottom. She touched me very much. But she also had enough reason to be depressed: always with the wrong men, the death of her child ... Romy always fell in love with pigs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208November 9, 2020 10:12 PM

With Romy Schneider in 1975

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209November 9, 2020 10:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210November 9, 2020 10:14 PM

Romy consoling Helmut at reception honoring Luchino Visconti at the Paris 1980.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211November 9, 2020 10:17 PM

Romy and Helmut consoling each other at Visconti tribute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212November 9, 2020 10:24 PM

The Beatles stopped playing concerts in 1966. He tells a lot of stories.

by Anonymousreply 213November 9, 2020 10:34 PM

R213 It's probably he got the dates/years wrong. Give him a break after all these years of drinking.

by Anonymousreply 214November 9, 2020 10:37 PM

[quote] Romy Schneider

R209 I'm the kind of person who complains that people like her and Simone Signoret have an unfortunate wide head. But despite that Romy Schneider always seemed to be attractive and gracious (and it's unfortunate she passed before her time).

by Anonymousreply 215November 9, 2020 10:42 PM

Fascinating article about Helmut Berger: 2016

Andreas Horvath’s Helmut Berger, Actor (2015) is a startling portrait of an aged actor once known for his beauty, his extravaganza, and his roles in films by Luchino Visconti and Vittorio De Sica. Horvath portrays his subject mercilessly, as a vile, mean, and ill-spirited old man who is desperately seeking out the attention of the filmmaker. It is true that Helmut Berger is an asshole – he insults, intimidates, and annoys Horvath without showing any interest in collaborating on the documentary. He is actually at his most expressive when he leaves Horvath unnerving voice messages on his phone at night. When he is on camera he suddenly snaps and shouts at the filmmaker without any clear reason.

Horvath takes cinematic revenge on his tormentor; he captures Berger in some of his nastiest moments. When we are introduced to the Austrian actor he is mindlessly sitting in a chair in his cramped and messy apartment, pants down with his hands on his private parts. One of the final scenes of the film is among the most uncomfortable and sexually-explicit scenes I have ever seen in a documentary film. Here, Berger is stripped of all the dignity that he had left, This also raises a question: can a filmmaker capture this material and screen it in front of an audience?

With Berger’s vanity displayed in the documentary in mind, I watched as many of his films as I could possibly find (and believe me, many could be considered lost). This search has led me to Italian classics (ranging from Visconti’s The Damned [1969] to De Sica’s The Garden of the Finzi-Continis [1970]), the agreeable Jesús Franco horror film Faceless [1987], among others) and a huge amount of films in which Helmut Berger played a Nazi.

One thing that all of them had in common was an almost obscene fascination with the image of Helmut Berger, as if all his films were ultimately concerned with Helmut Berger and not with the characters he played. This obsession with Berger as an icon is visualised in a lot his films through shots of images of Berger’s images: windows, mirrors, drawings, paintings, photographs, and other films. They all provide warped reflections of Helmut Berger within his films. I set out to use these shots of Berger’s images in my audiovisual essay to ask myself questions: what does this hall of cinematic mirrors say about the man I saw in Horvath’s documentary?; can I understand this documentary better through Berger’s fiction work?; is every film with Helmut Berger ultimately a film about Helmut Berger?

I think the answer to that final question is a resounding yes, and I am guilty of this phenomenon myself. I have set out to make a critical enquiry of the nature of Berger’s cinema and by doing so I have been seduced to collect as many of his images as possible to put them in a sequence. I have made an analysis of Berger’s images, but I accidentally also made a celebration of those same images. Just like Horvath and all the other filmmakers who have worked with Berger, I have discovered that when you set out to make something with Helmut Berger in it he is going to take over. Frankenstein discovered that he made a creature with a life of its own. The same can be said about the imagery of Helmut Berger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216November 9, 2020 11:03 PM

From my time on DL, it seems that Joey Stefano is more of a gay icon than Helmut Berger.

by Anonymousreply 217November 9, 2020 11:06 PM

Helmut Berger had an undeniable star quality, I regard him as a kind of male Garbo , the camera clearly loves him. When he's onscreen it's often difficult to watch anyone else. He also had a kind of brittle intensity that I like.

by Anonymousreply 218November 10, 2020 2:05 AM

Berger was Visconti’s "muse". And not a good one at that IMO. He was more of a tabloid star where he was shown partying with big stars. He never really was on their level with it came to his own stardom. And not just because he did European art house movies.

by Anonymousreply 219November 10, 2020 2:13 AM

[quote] Berger was Visconti’s "muse".

No! I was Visconti's muse!

He made 3 films for me but he became too clingy. I refused to go on and he was forced to hire a second-rate, cat-faced German to replace me!

by Anonymousreply 220November 10, 2020 2:22 AM

R219 = Alain Delon

BTW, Happy birthday Alain!

by Anonymousreply 221November 10, 2020 3:42 AM

Berger is Austrian not German. And he's damn proud of it. L

by Anonymousreply 222November 10, 2020 9:09 AM

Romy Schneider and Helmut Berger interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223November 10, 2020 1:35 PM

The making of Ludwig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224November 10, 2020 1:39 PM

^ Helmut looks so gay in those curlers!

by Anonymousreply 225November 10, 2020 4:23 PM

I never wore curlers!

by Anonymousreply 226November 10, 2020 10:33 PM

Helmut was never hot. I've always looked hot AF.

by Anonymousreply 227November 10, 2020 11:00 PM

Dear Franco, you were freakishly hot!

by Anonymousreply 228November 10, 2020 11:17 PM

R226 You never played Ludwig!

by Anonymousreply 229November 11, 2020 12:01 AM

Dear Luchino, if only you were alive now!

All this new money from television. I'm sure you'd be providing penises galore!

by Anonymousreply 230November 11, 2020 12:09 AM

He was handsome in a bland way when younger, but I don't understand why someone would have a great passion for a man like him.

by Anonymousreply 231November 11, 2020 12:12 AM

He had an ass that wouldn't quit.

by Anonymousreply 232November 11, 2020 12:13 AM

[quote] One of the final scenes of the film is among the most uncomfortable and sexually-explicit scenes I have ever seen in a documentary film. Here, Berger is stripped of all the dignity that he had left

He definitely sounds like a thirsty DL eldergay, still wanting to be in the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 233November 11, 2020 12:14 AM

I think it quit, along with the rest of his body

by Anonymousreply 234November 11, 2020 12:16 AM

I was supremely hot (AF) in "Tristana" (1970). My gay fans, watch that film, ok? Grazie!!!!! Love, Franco (now married to DL fave Vanessa Redgrave)

by Anonymousreply 235November 11, 2020 12:17 AM

But Franco, you never showed your penis!

by Anonymousreply 236November 11, 2020 12:22 AM

Franco, Get off DL!

by Anonymousreply 237November 11, 2020 12:29 AM

Ludwig is one of my absolute favorite movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238November 11, 2020 12:32 AM

I love Ludwig, too

by Anonymousreply 239November 11, 2020 12:34 AM

Helmut Berger dancing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240November 11, 2020 12:48 AM

^ No, that be Leslier Uggamas!

by Anonymousreply 241November 11, 2020 12:52 AM

Helmut said that Rudolph Nureyev was sexually hyper- active and wanted him to leave Visconti and live with him but Helmut couldn't give up the safety Visconto provided and he was turned off by Rudolph's passion for garlic and vodka.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242November 11, 2020 1:01 AM

^Pretty John Fraser (who died last Saturday) also claimed to be in relationship with rapacious Rudy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243November 11, 2020 1:15 AM

Helmut Berger and Franco Nero didn't like each other. Helmut says that Franco was envious of him and they had many fights when they worked together.

"in "The Rose of Danzig" (with Franco Nero). Envy is a big theme of Berger's life. Franco Nero was envious. They had several fights at the shooting. " I meet envious people all the time. It started in school. I was a very concentrated pupil and didn't have to learn that much. Envy produces violence, provokes wars, seperates people. Capito?"

Envy was also a theme in Hollywood. When Berger played in "Dynasty - Denver Clan" he was not allowed to even speak to colleagues and friends who played in "Dallas", because there was a rivalry between the two tv-series. "

"After Luchino's death, I received hundreds of letters. But only three from Rome (from Flora Mastroianni, Virna Lisi and his agent Carol Levy). But what about all the other friends and artists? What had happened? Suddenly people said that Visconti's style was out of fashion. 'Viscontian' was a negative word. But his films were classics. I believe that his colleagues were envious. He was dead, so there was no one who could show that all the films of the other directors were crap."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244November 11, 2020 1:52 AM

Helmut Berger in Dynasty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245November 11, 2020 3:43 AM

^ Poor Helmut, having to waste time with those pudding-faced nobodies.

by Anonymousreply 246November 11, 2020 3:50 AM

Helmut Berger on Dynasty "I was crying on the way to the set but laughing on the way to the bank"

by Anonymousreply 247November 11, 2020 3:58 AM

His voice in that Dynasty clip! The nelliest nellie who ever nelled!

by Anonymousreply 248November 11, 2020 3:33 PM

There were so many pretty men during La Dolce Vita but Helmut had something special. I can see how Visconti fell for this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249November 11, 2020 3:57 PM

Marisa Berenson Talks About Helmut Berger:

OLIVIER ZAHM — At the same time, you were very open-minded because you fell in love with Helmut Berger, who was gay…

MARISA BERENSON — Bisexual, not gay — he slept with women and men. But it was a kind of dichotomy for me.

OLIVIER ZAHM — An unconventional lover?

MARISA BERENSON — I’m not a conventional woman. But my relationship with Helmut Berger was very pure. He had his life. But with me, he was different. He put me on a pedestal, which may have been too much, but we loved each other. I created a safe haven for him, I think.

OLIVIER ZAHM — So your love life was romantic.

MARISA BERENSON — I was a romantic girl. I only had long, serious relationships. I never was an easy girl. Ask Helmut how long it took him to get me.

OLIVIER ZAHM — Flowers, dinners?

MARISA BERENSON — Oh, yeah.

OLIVIER ZAHM — One of your first movies was Death in Venice. How did it happen?

MARISA BERENSON — Yeah, my first movie. It happened really like a miracle. I was living in New York and went to the opening of The Damned — one of the most beautiful movies ever. And after seeing it, I fell in love with Helmut. I went to dinner with Diane and Egon von Fürstenberg, who were also, like, my closest friends, and who protected me a lot in New York. I said Helmut Berger was the most amazing guy. Egon said, “He’s not interested in women.” I said, “You never know.” Helmut was there for the opening. And then we were placed next to each other at the dinner and fell madly in love. It just happened like that.

KATERINA JEBB — Was Visconti there?

MARISA BERENSON — No, Luchino was in Rome. Luchino had a beautiful house in Ischia; so did my mother. So when I started going out with Helmut and we were in Italy, he stayed at Luchino’s, and I was at my mother’s. He would invite me over to lunch, and so I met Luchino. There were always incredible people at a big table talking about music, literature, and art. One day, when I was sitting next to Luchino, he turned to me, looked at my face, and said, “You have the perfect classical physical beauty for my next film.” I didn’t believe it. In this business, people say a lot of things. But being in his romantic house a lot, writing poetry and stuff like that …

KATERINA JEBB — You were still with Helmut Berger, or…?

MARISA BERENSON — Yes. But in Luchino’s house, I was so nervous I was hyperventilating. I said to Helmut, “How am I ever going to do this?” Before the shooting, for 10 days, there was a lot of preparation, costumes, etc.

OLIVIER ZAHM — Wasn’t Visconti also in love with Helmut Berger? Was he jealous of your relationship?

MARISA BERENSON — He was more like a father to Helmut. They were not in a romantic relationship anymore. And he wasn’t at all jealous. He encouraged our relationship because he thought I had a stabilizing effect on Helmut. Luchino literally adopted me, and I loved him. He was so kind and so wonderful to me.

KATERINA JEBB — Was he a father figure to you, as well?

MARISA BERENSON — He was. At one point in our relationship, he said: “Please marry Helmut. You’re his one chance to be happy and have a normal life. I’ll give you the house.” but I was already thinking of leaving Helmut because it was too destructive relationship, even though I loved him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250November 11, 2020 4:53 PM

“The Damned” was not a good movie, but Berger’s Dietrich impersonation is priceless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251November 11, 2020 4:58 PM

I am always happy when there's a new thread on Helmut Berger. I admit to being semi-obsessed with this middling-talent, but stunningly beautiful, train wreck of a person....even to the point where I ordered from Amazon Germany both the documentary by the woman whose mom takes Helmut in (an amateurish but poignant film) AND a gorgeous expensive hardcover book of photos of him, including some nudies shot by Luchino, and autographed by the man himself.

The one thing I can't find anywhere is the Andreas Horvath documentary from a few years back, referenced above, where he jerks off on camera. I couldn't find it on Soulseek, either, just an mp3 of the soundtrack. I keep waiting for some official release online or something, but I feel with all its legal troubles, it may never become available. Maybe some generous DLer can help!

Anyways, Visconti took whatever talents this guy had and put them to their best use. In The Damned he gives a hysterical, campy performance. But he is quite moving in Ludwig and also in Conversation Piece. In non-Visconti movies, I don't think Berger had much to offer acting-wise besides a pretty face, and his looks went south quickly after Visconti died. There have been a couple of touching performances in later years (including in one of the Yves Saint Laurent biopics as the elderly YSL), but clearly this man is a total nightmare to work with and even be around.

Still, I find myself totally fascinated by him and his beauty (including his luscious bum - lucky Luchino!). If there's one blessing it's that Berger's lived long enough to see Visconti's work once again embraced by the critical class and cinephiles (there was a period when his work was really sniffed down on). Helmut is the true keeper of the flame.

by Anonymousreply 252November 11, 2020 5:18 PM

R252 What legal troubles attached to the documentary?!!

Yes, It's Impossible to find.

by Anonymousreply 253November 11, 2020 5:30 PM

Armie Hammer, this is your future.

by Anonymousreply 254November 11, 2020 8:54 PM

I see the gentleman who made the doc has a website with contact details. Maybe he would know where to get a copy.

by Anonymousreply 255November 11, 2020 9:09 PM

How gay is this entire crowd? Diane and Egon von Fürstenberg, both bi but preferring gay. Diane is now married to gay Barry.

Marisa B likes women now. Her sister married gay Tony.

Somebody should make a film about this lot.

by Anonymousreply 256November 11, 2020 9:18 PM

R256 Marisa Berenson is a lesbian now?!

by Anonymousreply 257November 11, 2020 9:53 PM

Marisa has always been bi preferring gay.

by Anonymousreply 258November 11, 2020 9:57 PM

2019: One of the most famous actors in Austria, Helmut Berger celebrated his 75th birthday in his hometown Bad Ischl. The event went on with brass music and the unveiling of a bust at the entrance to the Lehar Theater. Star violinist Yury Revich gave a serenade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259November 11, 2020 11:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260November 11, 2020 11:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261November 11, 2020 11:19 PM

With french actress Carole André in 1971

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262November 11, 2020 11:47 PM

Visconti about Helmut Berger:

" In a recent interview, Visconti said about Berger: although he comes across as a cynical person who does not care about everything, in fact he is very attentive and caring."

Claude Chabrol on Helmut:

" I loved working with Berger in "Fantomas". All the people only talk about Berger's scandals, but nobody says that he is one of the first people on the set in the morning and that he knows his text perfectly."

by Anonymousreply 263November 12, 2020 12:21 AM

r263 here, Visconti's quote refers to an article from 1974.

by Anonymousreply 264November 12, 2020 12:27 AM

Helmut Berger said that he fainted at the audition for the film "The Garden of the Finzi-Continis" after a kiss with Dominic Sanda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265November 12, 2020 12:47 AM

The documentary by Andreas Horvath from 2015 Helmut Berger, Actor has a whiff of explotiation about it but at the same time a very willing participate in Helmut himself.

It is compelling viewing but at times downright depressing. He appears to be living in Public Housing and has a woman who comes around to do the cleaning. She claims that when he has money his 'friends' flock over but when he is broke they are nowhere to be seen. She is sort of like a surogant carer to some degree.

He chain smokes, appears to be on a fair amount of medication (like lots of people his age). At one point in the film he starts fighting with the director and the police are called - this happens out in the street.

He is still obsessed with Visconti. Apparently before the documentary he was in Australia filming the German version of 'I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here' - I don't watch reality TV but I'd be interested in seeing that.

The film ends with him jerking off. He can't actually get an erection but manages to come. He asks the director to show him his cock to help him come. It is actually when the director show his cock to Helmut (which we don't see). that Helmut says it looks like Burt Lancaster's and then says 'Aristocrat.

How I saw the film - at a film festival back in 2016. Its a shame it is not easy to see - I hate the way so many films including recent stuff just disappears.

by Anonymousreply 266November 12, 2020 4:08 AM

How long are we going to discuss this piece of trash??

by Anonymousreply 267November 12, 2020 5:58 AM

r266 thanks for the report on the Horvath documentary. You can easily google for news stories from 2018 on Berger's legal battle against it.

I notice Horvath has removed essentially all references to the film from his website which is why I wonder whether the legal issues are making an already rare film even scarcer.

by Anonymousreply 268November 12, 2020 11:40 AM

R267 Leave the thread. It's simple. Nobody is forcing you to be here.

by Anonymousreply 269November 12, 2020 1:18 PM

R268 So Helmut Berger is embarrassed by the documentary and doesn't want people to see it (except who already watched it in some festivals)?!

by Anonymousreply 270November 12, 2020 1:21 PM

Helmut Berger cooking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271November 12, 2020 1:23 PM

R266 Thank you for the review.

by Anonymousreply 272November 12, 2020 1:29 PM

R266 "filming the German version of 'I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here' - I don't watch reality TV but I'd be interested in seeing that."

He left the show after only 2 days, due to health issues.

Actor Helmut Berger takes a zip from his bottle at the airport in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, 06 January 2013. They leave for the Australian jungle camp of the German reality television show Ich bin ein Star Holt mich hier raus!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273November 12, 2020 1:44 PM

Helmut Berger interview - 1970 (his french was still so broken here).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274November 12, 2020 2:25 PM

Helmut Dantine “Remeber me for..... oh, hell! Does anyone remember me?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275November 12, 2020 2:49 PM

He's sober and funny in this video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276November 12, 2020 3:40 PM

Did he hook up with Burt Lancaster?

by Anonymousreply 277November 12, 2020 3:41 PM

Baby Helmut Berger with his mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278November 12, 2020 5:12 PM

Young Helmut Berger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279November 12, 2020 5:27 PM

He wasn't a very cute kid

by Anonymousreply 280November 12, 2020 5:33 PM

R275, Dantine had his fair share of cock too back in the day. Especially for messenger boys.

by Anonymousreply 281November 12, 2020 5:38 PM

Again, he was TERRIBLE in the original Dynasty. Discuss!

by Anonymousreply 282November 12, 2020 5:42 PM

The photo of young Helmut Berger at R279 strangely looks more like him when he's old!

by Anonymousreply 283November 12, 2020 5:44 PM

He has many looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284November 12, 2020 6:01 PM

Helmut Berger's touching documentary (in German) : Helmut Berger, My Mother and Me (2019)

"My mother googles the film hero of her youth: Helmut Berger. She is shocked: only an addicted shadow of the former icon seems to be left. She decides to halt the obvious catastrophic decline of the once “most handsome man in the world”. As a consequence, this one-time god of the screen is suddenly sitting on my mother’s sofa in Nordsehl in Lower Saxony. And he stays put – for several months. While he trustingly rolls out his whole life before us, the dividing lines between film team, world star and family intermingle. This is a film about ageing, rising and falling – and about the fact that it is sometimes possible to regain an element of dignity in life. ×"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285November 12, 2020 6:11 PM

Helmut Griem who co-starred with Berger a number of times was HOT as well. Was he gay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286November 12, 2020 6:11 PM

R286 I don't know the actor name but I recognize him in two Helmut Berger's films, The damned and Ludwig.

by Anonymousreply 287November 12, 2020 6:14 PM

That scene was featured in Jackie Brown movie by Quentin Tarantino.

Tarantino thanked Berger in the closing credits for his powerful performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288November 12, 2020 6:25 PM

R286, that's Oskar Werner in your pic!

by Anonymousreply 289November 12, 2020 6:29 PM

R281, gimme the dirt! Messenger Boys?!?

by Anonymousreply 290November 12, 2020 6:33 PM

^ Seriously, I want the dirt, too!

by Anonymousreply 291November 12, 2020 6:54 PM

R290, R291, Helmut Dantine's gay escapades was briefly mentioned in Christopher Isherwood's Memoir: Lost Years 1945 - 1951. Perhaps an accidental "outing" ??

Excerpt discussing want went on at the Warner brothers studio during early 1945:

"It conveniently so happened that the mailing department at the studio was just then the centre of a lot of gay activity, and had several attractive messenger boys. One of these was having an affair with Helmut Dantine. They were very discreet about it; they had to be—it was risky for an important actor to get involved like this, right under the those of the front office. Helmut Dantine's messenger was a nice boy, not much to look at, actually, but lively and full of Jewish fun. Christopher got to know him, and he helped Christopher get acquainted with a boy named "Steve" whom he fancied. "

by Anonymousreply 292November 12, 2020 7:37 PM

^right under the nose* of the front office. And what* not want. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 293November 12, 2020 7:41 PM

Detailed interesting review of Andreas Horvath’s ‘Helmut Berger, Actor’

Icon Is My Last Name:

Helmut Berger, Actor screened at Transilvania Film Festival in the “Cinema, Mon Amour” section, with Andreas Horvath’s documentary focusing on the story of a grumpy old man who seems to have nothing in common with “a star.” However, the subject is a film icon and practically the man who inspired the legendary Luchino Visconti in the 70s, starring in both Ludwig and The Damned. The Austrian actor isn’t a simple subject, nor does he tell an inspiring story of his career: he’s actually a grouchy old man, the shadow of a once great actor.

He is portrayed mostly in his overly-crowded apartment in Salzburg or in hotel rooms. Horvath uses an insightful tool in order to describe his subject through the straightforward interventions of his cleaning lady, a powerful character as well. With the fame long gone and the money low, Berger became depressed and can’t come to peace with his new commoner status. In fact, the film clearly depicts Berger’s inner struggle and his cry for attention in a constant regret of his golden days. However, his frustration isn’t depicted with nostalgia and evocative memories, but with the despair of not knowing how to define himself any more.

Viewers learn how secluded the actor’s life is through Viola, a nice lady who altruistically takes care of Berger and who seems to be his only close friend. Besides her first person testimonies, the camera focuses on some atypical objects from Berger’s jammed apartment that make the work strenuous. There’s a clear lack of order, and Brigitte Bardot posters contrast with the numerous icons in the house — a sign of Berger’s clerical-repressed education. It’s a bitter observation also that Horvath correlates the adoration of the Virgin with the worship of cinema stars like once Berger was.

The relationship between the director and his subject is nothing like the kind that Visconti had with his muse, and Berger’s resistance to being intimately portrayed leads to name calling, screams and inappropriate behaviour.

Narrative-wise, the storyline follows the actor without a strict plot, and judging by Berger’s undisclosed character, it couldn’t have been any other way. However, Horvath cleverly introduces some thriller marks in his story, with haunting sounds to accompany Berger’s incoherent ramblings.

The director gives an explanation for his flamboyant character through the declaration: “I am a difficult person because I only had to deal with difficult persons all my life.”

by Anonymousreply 294November 12, 2020 8:26 PM

Continued:

The actor is a colourful character in his seventies who becomes infatuated with Horvath. Although this isn’t the focus of the documentary, Berger’s personal history with Visconti seems to have left a mark on his current promiscuous behaviour. He needs to develop a personal relationship with his director.

In an attempt to follow the steps of Berger’s best years, the pair travels to Saint Tropez, a place for the young and the restless. Instead, the glamour is washed out and Berger prefers to sit in his own mess, drink and watch TV rather than to reveal something about his persona.

He prefers to disprove the director, leaving one to question why he even took part in the documentary. The critique of the system seems more evident when Berger accuses Horvath for being interested only in awards and the finishing of his project. Drifting around with fox fur around his neck, Berger demands more than Horvath’s undivided attention as a subject of his documentary, as he craves affection and intimacy.

As the movie unfolds, and the confrontations culminate with Berger trying to get Horvath arrested, the heart of the matter is revealed: “I can’t understand you!,” the director reveals, while Berger replies, “You can’t. You’ve never been a star.” This seems to offer the much awaited interpretation of Berger’s impetuous behaviour.

His isolation is even more highlighted by the cleaning lady, who is the descriptive voice of Berger’s decay and states that he lacks any practical organisation, not knowing when or where he ever worked. The dialogue is focused on Berger’s craving of his former excessive lifestyle and idealisation of his celebrity status.

Making her way between trinkets, plastic flowers, vodka bottles and memories of dead celebrities, Viola states the powerful conclusion to this work: Berger can’t find closure. He lives in his world of memories, longing for the intense years when he dominated the front pages of scandal magazines, hence his sexual awakening.

Ultimately, in the face of his new identity, Berger doesn’t act for the camera any more. A massage therapist applies and peels off a cream mask from the actor’s face. We don’t know who Helmut Berger is. Neither does he. Once a star, he will always be a star.

by Anonymousreply 295November 12, 2020 8:31 PM

Will there be a Peter DeVilbis on (new) Dynasty?????

by Anonymousreply 296November 12, 2020 8:50 PM

Helmut Berger complains about his documentary filmmaker: 2018

"Three years after the publication of the documentary "Helmut Berger, Actor", the prominent actor has now sued the director Andreas Horvath for damages of 50,000 euros and the omission of the retransmission.

According to the complaint, the film was made without Bergers knowledge and would affect him in the "human dignity". The former Visconti star was portrayed as a "self-destructive, unrestrained and neglected" human, scenes of the streak were "exposing and degrading".

The first hearing took place last Friday at the Salzburg Regional Court, but it was postponed indefinitely because the actor was absent.

The documentary on the screen star premiered in September 2015 at the Venice International Film Festival. Already the day after Berger's management was appalled. "Helmut Berger was permanently destroyed, he is no longer transferable. It is the decapitation of Helmut Berger," said manager Helmut Werner then to the APA.

by Anonymousreply 297November 12, 2020 9:07 PM

Once great actor? I had a crush on him for awhile but come on, he was barely an actor much less great. He was fascinating because he was briefly very beautiful and his sugar daddy made him a star. By middle age, he was neither of these things anymore but never moved on. It's not that interesting. He's Norma Desmond without the house and money.

by Anonymousreply 298November 12, 2020 10:09 PM

R292, fank, you.

by Anonymousreply 299November 12, 2020 10:30 PM

Does anyone have a direct link/source for the quote from Charlotte Rampling about him just being a waiter/ski instructor with a big ass?

Book? Interview?

When?

by Anonymousreply 300November 12, 2020 10:32 PM

Visconti and Helmut Berger interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301November 12, 2020 10:35 PM

He reminds me of Michael Yorke, Angelina’s dad, and somewhat Gale Harold.

by Anonymousreply 302November 12, 2020 10:38 PM

Helmet Berger Talks frankly about Visconti, Marisa Berenson and his family:

What experience would you like to have today?

Nothing more. I've seen it all. I don't feel like Helmut Berger either, that's not me. That's a stage name. My name is Helmut Steinberger. And I'll stay that way until I'm dead.

Your name was also Helmut Steinberger when you flew to Greece at the beginning of your relationship with Luchino Visconti?

Visconti really wanted to go on a cultural trip with me. Maybe that stank to me. Swinging London, that's where I wanted to go.

But you were together with the model Marisa Berenson at the same time?

Sure, I'm bisexual. This is not a problem.

Don't you love one person more than the other?

I didn't feel like that.

Who is better to live with, man or woman?

Patchwork! The three of them, that was fantastic. Everyone had their job.

What was your part?

Hm, I was the referee when the two of them got into each other's hair. Incidentally, Marisa wanted to marry me, and Visconti thought that was good too. But I said right away that it wouldn't work. She was a model. Not like Heidi Klum, but a real top model. She lived in New York, I in Italy. What would we have done with a child? I grew up in boarding school myself and think that a child needs a father and a mother.

But getting married doesn't mean having children.

I think so. That's part of it.

Would you have liked to have children?

Yes. But not with her.

Luchino Visconti died in 1976. Do you think that you will see each other again sometime?

No. I communicate a lot more now with my mother who died a few years ago. I miss her very much.

Did your mother say earlier: Oh boy, aren't things going so wild? Or was she happy with your life?

She always supported me. I left overnight because I didn't get along with my father at all. He always just hit me. Today he would be in jail for that. My mother defended me against him. After that I just muddled my way through.

Until you met Luchino Visconti. Did he know right away that you were his type?

But how! His previous lover, also a very smart guy, was kicked out of his house immediately, and I then drove up in his Maserati. Haha. I knew what I wanted.

Did you fall in love with him right away?

That has developed, it doesn't go so zack, zack for me. In any case, I found everything I wanted with him. I didn't have to beg for roles at his side, he wrote the scripts for me. And he was filthy rich.

What did you give him?

My great, true friendship. And I always did what he wanted. Well, at night I sometimes snuck outside through the back door, I had specially stashed the key for the back entrance. When I slept all day after that, he initially thought I was sick, and he sent me to a psychoanalyst. Later he knew exactly what I was doing. But he never said anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303November 13, 2020 1:03 AM

Was Romy schneider a soul mate?

She was like a big sister to me. When she lived in Paris, we saw each other every day. She gave me advice on how to deal with great directors: be disciplined, prepare well. And be on time.

You embodied Ludwig II in a great way. A soul mate too?

No. I'm a night owl like him, that's the only thing we have in common. But I almost never watch the film. I'm a bad audience, very critical of myself. Then I think: that was a shitty day, I could have done better.

Visconti's death plunged you into a deep crisis, you wanted to kill yourself. Are you glad you survived?

Of course. At first I drank a lot, gluckgluckgluck, and then pills came. My housekeeper Maria wasn't supposed to come until 5 p.m., but happened to drop by at 10 a.m. and saved me. I am very grateful to her and still talk to her on the phone today.

Many of your friends have already passed away. Are you afraid of death?

Nah. But I would like a roof tile to fall on my head. That's great! Bamm, you're gone.

Would you consider yourself happy today?

I don't know what happiness is. I have no wishes, I'm fine. I would say: I am satisfied. That's something.

by Anonymousreply 304November 13, 2020 1:13 AM

Helmut Berger blamed Marlon Brando for ruining Maria Schneider's life on the set of Last Tango in Paris:

“You can’t get your ass fucked with butter at the age of eighteen.”

by Anonymousreply 305November 13, 2020 2:05 AM

Helmut Berger said he was sexually abused by clergymen in the boarding school in Feldkirch.

by Anonymousreply 306November 13, 2020 2:30 AM

Discussing Marisa Berenson:

[quote] Q: Would you have liked to have children?

[quote]A: Yes. But not with her.

Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 307November 13, 2020 2:44 AM

R307 Hahaaaaa

by Anonymousreply 308November 13, 2020 2:57 AM

R286 is not oskar werner. As stated he is Helmut Greim I still want to know if he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 309November 13, 2020 3:03 AM

Helmut Griem is probably most recognized by Americans from his part in Cabaret.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310November 13, 2020 3:18 AM

[quote] … Helmut Griem …

He was SO pretty. Seeing him in that clip from 'Ludwig' above made you realise how pretty he was compared to Berger who always looks as though he's sucking on a lemon.

by Anonymousreply 311November 13, 2020 3:19 AM

[quote] Not like Heidi Klum, but a real top model.

SHADE!

by Anonymousreply 312November 13, 2020 4:06 AM

What was Helmut Dantine's most famous role(s)? I get all these Euros mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 313November 13, 2020 4:50 AM

^ Mrs Miniver; all the rest were B movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314November 13, 2020 5:04 AM

r300 The Rampling quote is in the BBC Visconti documentary from 2003 which is on youtube (check it out before it goes away). She says it on camera when discussing the making of The Damned.

by Anonymousreply 315November 13, 2020 11:19 AM

Here's Oskar Werner,. Another Austrian actor but he was considered quite well-trained and devoted to the theatre. So hot, but he drank himself to death in his 40s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316November 13, 2020 1:52 PM

Oh dear, Auntie's touching herself in public again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317November 13, 2020 1:59 PM

Helmut Berger and friend outside 'My Place' nightclub on November 15, 1976 in Los Angeles, California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318November 13, 2020 5:22 PM

Linda Blair got around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319November 13, 2020 6:25 PM

R317 Why he's always doing this in public?!!!

by Anonymousreply 320November 13, 2020 6:31 PM

Linda Blair looking at Helmut Berger adoringly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321November 13, 2020 6:32 PM

His name.

I always confuse Helmet Berger, Horst Buchholz and Helmut Dantine.

by Anonymousreply 322November 13, 2020 7:26 PM

He apparently wasn’t terribly shrewd (or loved) if he was left out of his grand benefactor’s will.

by Anonymousreply 323November 13, 2020 8:46 PM

A good unknown haunting movie called "Tunnel" in 1980, Helmut Berger played a heroin addict who struggles with his addict girlfriend to escape their deadly fate.

The movie is dubbed in Italian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324November 13, 2020 8:52 PM

I don’t know him

by Anonymousreply 325November 13, 2020 8:54 PM

R323 Visconti's family Hated Helmut Berger and had deliberately hidden the will and claimed that the will was lost/stolen!!!

Helmut knew they were lying but he didn't want to challenge Visconti's family or cause a scandal.

by Anonymousreply 326November 13, 2020 8:56 PM

Visconti's family didn't even want the Gardenia flowers Helmut brought to Visconti's funeral (He put it at Viscont's feet) and took it away repeatedly, Stubborn Helmut had to put it back each time!

At 1:39:25. Helmut talks about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327November 13, 2020 9:29 PM

Helmut Berger with Liza Todd (Elizabeth Taylor's daughter) while watching the filming of Ash Wednesday (1973).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328November 14, 2020 12:51 AM

Helmut Berger Talks Alain Delon:

"Delon really wanted to take from me the great love of my life, the genius filmmaker, the so witty, the tender and elegant Luchino Visconti. Delon had nothing to offer, he just wanted the best roles. To serve his ends, he went so far as to use his son Anthony. He made him write love letters to Visconti, with his child's handwriting. But I ruined his plans. "

About Romy Schneider

"Alain Delon remained her great love until her death. I admit that he was a handsome man at one time, but always calculating. She [Romy Schneider] told me that he had tried several times to sleep with her after their separation, but which she had always refused, He must have hurt her deeply, which she never recovered. Until the end Delon will have been her luck and her misfortune. While she would never have cheated on him, he cheated on her all the time. She wanted a child from him, he didn't want it. "

by Anonymousreply 329November 14, 2020 1:56 AM

Marisa Berenson and the women

"It's probably because of alcohol that my relationship with women has always been particularly complicated. I love women, I love their presence, but they are too possessive. They always want to get married, to have children. , a cozy home, all this staging of care bears that paralyzes, makes you motionless, and which is anything but funny. As for the superb Marisa Berenson, she was not the emancipated and independent woman she made believe . We had a really amazing time, we had fun with each other like two addicts with their drugs, but every dinner party she wanted me by her side. "

Rudolf Nureyev:

" His obsession was animal, he threw himself on pretty boys as on garlic. His passion carried me away."

Picasso and co

"My friends couldn't believe that I could laugh at the terrible fire that devastated my apartment in 1992. Due to a faulty cable, I lost paintings by Miró, Chagall and Schiele, sketches and Picasso ceramics… (…) 'My God, too bad', I said jokingly, 'I know that when one door closes in my life, another always opens. Fate, it's fate, isn't it? So what! This fire only made room for new and more important things in my life. '"

La Callas:

"Maria suffered terribly from her weight problems. Luchino told me that he recommended to her, while staging La Traviata at La Scala in Milan, that she get a tapeworm. It was a cure. from a well-known grandmother. La Callas had really lost 30 kilos with her worm. (…) In private, Maria was anything but a diva. She loved gossip and chatting. That's why she invited Franco Rossellini, who as a film producer in Rome knew the latest gossip in the business and, as a jet-setter, knew about the latest couples that had formed. She wanted to learn as much as possible about the intimate life of others, even those she did not know. A real gossip! "

by Anonymousreply 330November 14, 2020 2:17 AM

[quote] … He must have hurt her deeply, which she never recovered…

Poor Romy Schneider was preparing to terminate her life. People who are preparing for death don't dilly-dally with middle-aged penises.

by Anonymousreply 331November 14, 2020 2:36 AM

More on Delon:

One day Delon came to visit. I opened the door, saw him, asked his name to annoy him, said I didn't know him and slammed the door in his face.

Delon rang the bell storm. Luchino's butler then opened the door, let Delon in, and reported the visit to Visconti. Luchino asked Alain into the drawing room.

In the evening I explained my worries to Visconti and asked him to attend the professional meetings with the Frenchman - if they had to be at all - in hotels at least in future. When letters again arrived a short time later with Delon's hidden expressions of love, I gave Visconti an ultimatum. Not with me!

It's unbelievable: a father dictates enthusiastic vows to his seven-year-old son! I made every effort to ensure that Visconti never worked with Delon again.

After all, twice was enough luck for the French. The films 'Rocco and His Brothers' and 'The Leopard' were made before my time with Visconti. Delon's friends were also struck off the cast lists. I've already made sure of that. To complete my revenge, I fucked Delon's then wife Nathalie, whom I liked very much. "

by Anonymousreply 332November 14, 2020 2:39 AM

Helmut Berger insulting his fellow guests on a German TV show - 2012

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333November 14, 2020 2:07 PM

Wait a minute - did he say he fucked Linda Blair's brother?

by Anonymousreply 334November 14, 2020 2:22 PM

R334 Yes, he said he slept with Linda Blaire and her brother.

by Anonymousreply 335November 14, 2020 3:31 PM

"Linda Blair - we had a wild, fast flirt. We had an affair in the 'Chateau Marmont' in Hollywood. But I also had sex with her brother. He seduced me. It was a family-affair. I hope that God will not damn me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336November 14, 2020 6:16 PM

I know its quite long but is it possible to translate highlights from the interview at r33?

by Anonymousreply 337November 14, 2020 6:47 PM

r10, yeah he looked good with Crystal but was there for Fallon

by Anonymousreply 338November 14, 2020 6:59 PM

"Botox-Boy" is leaving Helmut Berger - 2015

The darn ninth week: Helmut Berger's symbolic marriage is over after less than three months. Partner Florian Wess has separated from the film legend. Reason: Berger masturbated in front of the camera.

It should all be so nice: Florian Wess and Helmut Berger said yes in July. In Ibiza, the 71-year-old Austrian actor, once celebrated as the "most beautiful man in the world", swore allegiance to the German designer Florian Wess. Since Berger has been married to the Italian Francesca Guidato since 1994, the wedding could only be carried out symbolically. But that shouldn't detract from his great love for his 37-year-old boyfriend. The couple stood in front of the altar in white, Berger and Wess danced to the sounds of Albano and Romina Powers hit "Semper Semper". But forever just turned into nine weeks.

As the "Bild" newspaper reports, the couple separated. Berger was therefore left by Wess. The reason for this is documentation. A few days ago, the new film "Helmut Berger, Actor" by Andreas Horvath was presented at the Venice Film Festival.

Berger can not only be seen in dirty underwear, but also masturbating in front of the camera. Too much for partner Florian Wess, who is also known as the "botox boy" because of his numerous cosmetic operations. "We had our problems before, but this number was just too intimate. Jerking off in the film is not possible," said the 34-year-old to "Bild".

Bergers manager is also shocked by the documentation. "Here the institution and the actor Helmut Berger were permanently destroyed, It is the beheading of Helmut Berger. That is inhuman and absolutely disgusting. I never thought that such a material would actually be broadcast," said Helmut Werner, who has worked for Berger for many years, of the Austrian newspaper "Krone".

Berger himself has not yet commented on the film, and he has also stayed away from the Venice Film Festival.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339November 14, 2020 11:00 PM

Helmut Berger: my blue blood!

Helmut Werner, who is in charge of the management of Helmut Berger, went on a drinking tour with him in Salzburg's nightlife in February. The unsightly scene occurred in the in-pub "Chez Roland". Young people had filmed the two constantly. When one of the boys followed Berger to the toilet and wanted to film him urinating, it seemed to be enough for Werner and he stepped in. The result: a mass brawl and the youngster's broken nose.

As the Austrian Kronenzeitung reported, Werner was sentenced this week to six months of conditional imprisonment by the Salzburg criminal court (not final).

Helmut Berger, who was also questioned by the judge, obviously suffered a film tear on that questionable evening. He could not remember anything, he told the court. After the ex-world star announced: “I fell on the floor and lost my Rolex, but it was from Shanghai anyway. I didn't bleed, otherwise I would have seen my blue blood. ", The judge sent him home. All right, Helmut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340November 14, 2020 11:34 PM

So many damn Helmuts. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 341November 14, 2020 11:42 PM

Here's the music Helmut used during his symbolic wedding. I love that its from the '80s

And the woman in the video is Romina Power Tyrone Power's daughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342November 15, 2020 12:06 AM

Helmut Berger: once a hustler, always a hustler!

Now the Austrian actor Helmut Berger is really blooming again! The gay movie star of the 70s is freshly in love - with a 36-year-old younger! But not only that - this makes you look even younger. Florian Wess (33) is better known under the name "Botox-Boy".

It sparked immediately

Berger's management confirmed the new relationship with the “Bild” newspaper: “The two are a couple. There's nothing more to say about that." But as the newspaper also knows, it was love at first sight. Wess had booked the former "jungle camp" participant for an event in Cologne. There it radioed immediately. A confidante of Bergers: “Helmut is really in love. Florian is good for him, gives him stability. " Florian was very well brought up. "Helmut likes the fact that he is so old-fashioned about these things."

Helmut Berger wants to say yes to his partner, even though the former world star is still married

But it is not love alone that prompts the 71-year-old to take this step: "Look, I'm honest. I now also need care and Florian looks after me like an eye-catcher," Berger told the newspaper.

The only problem with the wedding could be: Helmut Berger is actually still married - to the Italian Francesca Guidato, to whom he said yes in 1994.

But that doesn't seem to matter to the "Ludwig II" actor. The marriage only exists on paper. "When I wanted the divorce, her plan was to riot me," said Helmut Berger. "Now I'm not getting a divorce, if I feel bad, she has to pay for me."

The ceremony will be chaired by the Berlin drag queen Nina Queer. But for Helmut Berger, exchanging rings with Florian has more than just symbolic value: The marriage is "so real that I put myself in front of God or the universe - write it as you want - and say again: Here I am, you up there mean well with me and Florian! And anyway - who is a bit of bigamy better suited than me! "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343November 15, 2020 12:09 AM

I don't know how he does it, but he is still greatly loved. He's like everybody's drunken Uncle Eddy.

by Anonymousreply 344November 15, 2020 12:19 AM

I'm sorry but this Florian person looks terrible. Of all the "stars" to fuck, he chose Berger? LMAO!

by Anonymousreply 345November 15, 2020 12:23 AM

R345 Fuck off, Franco.

I see you still haven't got over me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346November 15, 2020 12:29 AM

R344 "He's like everybody's drunken Uncle Eddy."

Hahaaaaaaa

by Anonymousreply 347November 15, 2020 12:32 AM

R342 I didn't know this song. but I loved it!

by Anonymousreply 348November 15, 2020 12:35 AM

Helmut Berger interview (Trashing Brad Pitt, Sophia Loren, America and Alain Delon and others):

Q: At a young age, you were considered the most beautiful man in the world.

BERGER: An English newspaper wrote it because I played Dorian Gray. When I was young I looked better than Brad Pitt, a thousand times better.

Q: You had a guest role in the television series "Denver Clan".

BERGER: I only did that because of the money. I am european. I hate everything that comes from America, although: now they have a black president, I think that's great. Then there is a black Pope, which will be even better.

Now we have the financial crisis, which, like everything bad, comes from America ... Did you see the Academy Awards? Terrible! In the first row sat Sophia Loren, the old cow, tanned, with a wig and a huge décolleté. Tasteless! She could never play anything other than Neapolitans in tatters.

Q: Alain Delon was your competitor as an actor.

BERGER: What? Delon isn't an actor at all, he's a hustler, the poor asshole. There are people who fuck their careers. I didn't do that.

Q: After all, you also had a sexual relationship with Visconti.

BERGER: But that was the only one. I am not a stick boy. Are you crazy? Where is strychnine? I didn't have to fuck to get a role. How long do you think I would have had to fuck to play Ludwig the Second!

Q: Luchino Visconti, You were his lover and to whom you owe your film career ...

BERGER: Do we have to talk about Visconti? Everyone knows I worked with him, I lived with him ...

Q: You said that Visconti's bed is the only heirloom you kept.

BERGER: Nonsense! I have nothing from him. I didn't want anything either. It's over. I knew there was a will. That the family made it disappear. I could have litigated. But I didn't give a shit.

Are you still mourning Visconti?

BERGER: Are you stupid?

by Anonymousreply 349November 15, 2020 1:48 AM

"Denver Clan". LMAO! Sounds so white trash.

by Anonymousreply 350November 15, 2020 1:54 AM

Q: You attempted suicide on the first day of his death. Your housekeeper saved you.

BERGER: I did that as a token of my love, to honor him. That was organized by me according to plan.

Q:As?

BERGER: I had already made a plan months before that, because I wanted to die on the same day as Visconti. First I drank courage, then I swallowed the pills. He was my backbone. I was his pupillo ...

Q:His foster son?

BERGER: Yes, and when he was gone I noticed that I also had big problems at work because they said I was a typical Visconti actor, which really pissed me off. I wanted to play other roles.

Q: Do you want to live?

BERGER: Absolutely. I want to be a hundred, that would be wonderful. I was also always careful during sex so that I didn't get AIDS. When we didn't know how to get infected, I took my own glass and plate to the restaurant.

Q: The German-Italian philosopher Paola-Ludovika Coriando, who wrote a book about you, thinks you embody, quote, "glamorous beauty and enigmatic depth, innocence and eroticism, devotion and self-destruction ..."

BERGER: Why self-destruction? I'm not Mickey Rourke.

Q: She relates that to your acting skills.

BERGER: Not a word is right.

Q: You mean you haven't destroyed yourself?

BERGER: Not at all. I just tried everything, drugs, cocaine, dödödö, and then stopped because I realized that it didn't work. I'm against drugs today.

Q: Your appearance at a reception for the Monegasque royal family *) when you pissed after taking cocaine is legendary.

BERGER: Oh, that story, snore, it was ages ago. But I didn't mean to piss myself off. I was just farting, and because I got bad cocaine, something else came out of the back. In my private life, I always did what I wanted. I was disciplined at work.

Q: Alexander von Schönburg dedicated a whole chapter to you in his book "The Art of Stylish Impoverishment".

BERGER: Who is Schönburg?

Q: The brother of the Princess of Thurn and Taxis. He calls you a "hero of poverty".

BERGER: Maybe he thought I was still driving around in a Rolls Royce or in a Maserati. That is from yesterday. I used to change Rolls Royce like underpants.

by Anonymousreply 351November 15, 2020 1:58 AM

Q: you live with your almost ninety-year-old mother.

BERGER: Yes, I take care of her . She is now a nursing case. I am responsible for her . She never saw me because I've been on the road all my life. As a schoolboy I went to a Catholic boarding school in Feldkirch, then to the hotel management school in Bad Hofgastein, and at eighteen I left home overnight.

Q: Do you fear your mother's death?

BERGER: Yes, because I can't handle that. Sometimes I nudge her when she sleeps to see if she is still alive. I don't know what kind of funeral I have to do, all this paperwork. But tonight I had a great dream. Yves Saint Laurent **) went to her funeral in a dark blue suit, not black. So I thought I will go in dark blue too. I will cope with my mother's death. Everything is taken care of.

Q: What is keeping you alive?

BERGER: I could ask you that too. What keeps you alive as a journalist? It's a boring job. For example, I could never do an interview with Boris Becker or with Uschi Glas.

Q: In an interview with the "Playboy" you answered the question of whether you thought a second suicide attempt possible: "Yes, why not? If I were financially at the end, I would give up."

BERGER: I was probably stoned then. when was that?

Q: Have you ever considered seeking psychiatric treatment?

BERGER: Never! You only go to a psychiatrist when you are suffering.

Q: Aren't you suffering?

BERGER: I only suffer at work because I always think I could do better. Others can cover it up. But I'm not a technical actor. Fortunately, I'm not a fire man. He was good as Mephisto, but otherwise ... I'm not a Maximilian Schell who just messes up and sold his sister. (Allusion to Maximilian Schell's documentary "My sister Maria" about Maria Schell, who had dementia). I am never satisfied with my performance, my way of acting, you understand? But in my private life I don't suffer.

by Anonymousreply 352November 15, 2020 2:09 AM

He makes me laugh, but damn him for shading Maximilian Schell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353November 15, 2020 2:38 AM

Claudia Cardinale consoling sad Helmut Berger during tribute to director Luchino Visconti at Paris - 1980

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354November 15, 2020 12:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355November 15, 2020 12:15 PM

Helmut Berger posing before a photo of Visconti.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356November 15, 2020 12:22 PM

Helmut Berger on the beach in 1982 (with Visconti picture in front of him)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357November 15, 2020 12:26 PM

1974 - Helmut Berger had to be hospitalized after being disgusted with Visconti and Silvana Mangano.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358November 15, 2020 12:51 PM

Helmut Berger: «Reduced to live with 200 euros per month of pension " - 2010

He earned enormous sums, but always spending more than he had in his pocket. The result is that now Helmut Berger - the Austrian actor, one of Luchino Visconti's most loved - is reduced to misery, forced to live as a guest of friends because he can't go on with the 200 euro pension per month he receives. by the Italian State. The newspaper «Bild» met the protagonist of Luchino Visconti's «Ludwig» in Ibiza, in the villa of his friend Countess Sylvia Serra di Cassano, who is currently hosting it.

When asked if he ever thought of getting married, Berger responds surprisingly: "But I'm still married", even if the marriage contracted in 1994 with the actress Francesca Guidato has always remained on paper. “When I wanted to get a divorce,” Berger explains, “she tried to take advantage of it economically. Now it's me who doesn't want to divorce. When I get even worse it will be up to her to support me. '

The actor claims to still own several valuable paintings by Luchino Visconti and some jewels of his mother, who died in Salzburg last October at the age of 89. «I can't separate myself from these things», he says, «rather I prefer to give them away. When I have nothing left, I will go to the hospice. '

On the reasons why he hasn't made a film in a long time, Berger declares that "they are all afraid of me", then announces that he intends to leave Rome to move into the house where his mother lived in Salzburg.

by Anonymousreply 359November 15, 2020 1:51 PM

Good god, what a freakshow. Eurotrash at its trashiest.

by Anonymousreply 360November 15, 2020 2:50 PM

Friends and wife Talks about Helmut Berger's downfall:

Claudia Cardinale: "He told me he was sick, he no longer worked. He was in bad shape. I gave him my phone. He never called me. I first met him in the time of Vaghe Stelle of the bear, Luchino met him there. With Visconti and Helmut we went on trips together, we once went to a Marlene Dietrich concert in London."

Dino Trappetti leads the Tirelli tailor shop that has dressed the films of Luchino: «I don't remember him fondly. Helmut has what he deserves. He disappeared when Luchino had a stroke. He owed him everything. At the screening for the full restoration of Ludwig, he protested: "Where are my close-ups?". He tried to deface the screen. I slapped him. I didn't find him that beautiful. If he liked someone, man or woman, he had no qualms ».

Press agent Enrico Lucherini: «He had no cinematic culture, he felt protected by Visconti. He was Nice, but when he approached the bottle it was frightening".

Elsa Martinelli, A friend: "I haven't seen him for 20 years. With him, it was doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I helped him when he was arrested for some nonsense, a quarrel under his house, he had nothing to do with it, but he took it heads on, the cops arrested him and was sent the Regina Coeli prison. I sent him a letter in the middle of a book: do not worry. I found the lawyer who pulled him out, I took him to my house avoiding the paparazzi. He loved the painting and wanted to learn. If he hadn't ruined himself with alcohol, he would have been a great actor ».

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361November 15, 2020 3:10 PM

webster definition of Eurotrash: young well-to-do usually Europeans who live a trendy lifestyle especially in the U.S.

He was never this especially now that he's ancient There will never be another Helmut Berger.

by Anonymousreply 362November 15, 2020 3:10 PM

Francesca, (Helmut's wife): I saw the photo on the Bild: «If he is so badly reduced, because he should be in Ibiza, in the villa of the friendly countess, with designer clothes? I have some doubts. But if so I would be ready to give him a hand ».

«Helmut was great with my daughter,“ You are beautiful like Florinda Bolkan ”, he told her, it was he who put it in her head be an actress ".

They met at the disco, at Jackie O '. She, 17 years old, he 34. "For 16 years he asked me to marry him and I accepted in 1994 . We have been married for more than two and a half years. After that he, contrary to what he says, has not asked for any divorce. It is I who asked for the separation I'm tired of reading that I'm going to steal money from him or that our marriage was valid only on paper. '

«My husband was not cheating on me with a handsome man like Miguel Bosé but with a his maid. A woman who deliberately worn the clothes of a mother, because she knew how close Helmut was to his mother. He felt like Martin, the role of the son dominated by the mother he played in The Fall of the Gods. He had two parallel lives, he had to save face. '

He says there was no carnal relationship between you?

"But what if it was already before the wedding?

Didn't you mind that he was bisexual?

“At least I knew it. Mick Jagger was his idol. He slept with Jagger and Bianca. It wouldn't have been the first time he did things like that. I am writing a book on Helmut. It is titled I married the widow of Visconti."

“I asked him in vain to give me back the money I had lent him earlier of the wedding. He wasn't attached to money, he preferred to have them removed by the worst people, basically he is naive. And he was not poor, he dissipated everything within a week, vases, pictures, plates. Upon his refusal I made a small foreclosure, there was also a painting that was the seal of love between him and Luchino Visconti. There I hurt him.

' Was it stuck in the past?

"But if your life is ruined thinking about the past. He had talent. His life professional would have been better.

We ask you to tell us a excess and bursts into laughter?

"Only one? I remember him at a dinner in his home in Rome in Vigna Clara. There was Jacqueline Bisset, Elsa Martinelli. And he was gone. We looked for him for hours. We found it rolled up in a carpet under the tree. He was the gift of Christmas".

Drunk?

"How did you tell when it wasn't?"

by Anonymousreply 363November 15, 2020 3:23 PM

Translation correction:

Was he stuck in the past?

"But your life is ruined thinking about the past. He had talent. His professional life would have been better.

We ask you to tell us an excess that bursts into laughter?

"Only one? I remember him at a dinner in his home in Rome in Vigna Clara. There was Jacqueline Bisset, Elsa Martinelli. And he was gone. We looked for him for hours. We found him rolled up in a carpet under the tree. He was the gift for Christmas".

Drunk?

"How did you tell when he wasn't?"

by Anonymousreply 364November 15, 2020 3:33 PM

Continued, Francesca (Helmut's wife) interview:

His disinhibition would even induce him to entertain carnal relationships with the maid who raised him and whom he, in introducing her, defined as a second mother. When I Knew it in 1987, I almost fainted.

The maid herself told us about it: They were in Paris, in the house of Romy Schneider's husband, and Helmut reached her in the attic... perpetuating those encounters had a terrible consequences given the mother-son relationship in which they identified themselves.

It became a tyrannical relationship in which the woman, having great power over him, extruded the perverse taste of hurting him. So as not to lose the supremacy over Helmut, She restored to occultism.

by Anonymousreply 365November 15, 2020 4:31 PM

R365 It's sad to read about the sadomasochistic sick relationship between Helmut and his maid/2nd mother.

When I watched the video (below), I was surprised because the woman was treating Helmut like crap or like an aggressive dominating mother. It makes sense now after reading R365

at 1:51

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366November 15, 2020 4:41 PM

r366 here, I don't mean that the woman in the video is the maid. The maid died years ago.

The woman in the video is Sylvia Serra di Cassano.

by Anonymousreply 367November 15, 2020 4:45 PM

Remember he just disappeared from Dynasty? Was written off quickly. I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 368November 15, 2020 5:13 PM

[quote] …disgusted…

R358 I don't think that's a good translation.

by Anonymousreply 369November 15, 2020 5:28 PM

R369 It said "disgusto" in the original Spanish article.

by Anonymousreply 370November 15, 2020 5:40 PM

R368 Helmut Berger spoke about it in his book. It's posted at R132

by Anonymousreply 371November 15, 2020 5:43 PM

Visconti's will and family:

"I lived in Rome with Luchino, but when he died I was robbed of his will. It was the Visconti family: I knew that will was there, the secretary saw it and I read it. Instead it disappeared. Luchino had told me that I should never have to worry in my life, because in this job you never know what can happen. Instead those scoundrels robbed me: it's a greedy family, they couldn't stand me. I had relationships only with donna Uberta, Luchino's sister".

Visconti's friends:

"After Visconti's death, the whole world condoled me except for Luchino's great friends, such as Adriana Asti or Umberto Orsini. People who I always invited to eat with us and who instead betrayed me. They came to our villa in Ischia, they enjoyed my goodness, while behind me, Asti brought other homosexuals (the last one was a Pole) to throw me out. "

Suicide attempt:

"A difficult period, culminating in a suicide attempt: "I didn't know what to do, where to go, I felt lonely. I missed the ground under my feet, I tried to commit suicide with whiskey and pills: they found me on the ground with foam in my mouth. They locked me up in an asylum. They called me Romy Schneider and Marisa Mell. So, after two nights, I decided to run away: I went dancing at the nightclub and came back at six o'clock, with my IVs...".

Failed marriage with Francesca Guidato :

"She is a tr..., she married me for the money, she came to sleep in my apartment: she deceived me. Now I only need five friends: I never feel alone"

The meeting with Luchino Visconti:

"It was my luck, otherwise I would have found Pasolini in Termini, and I would have ended up in Ostia. I could have even ended up with Zeffirelli... For pity's sake! I'm more of an Elizabeth Taylor or Faye Dunaway type,".

by Anonymousreply 372November 15, 2020 6:20 PM

What the fuck does that even mean? He had nowhere near the charisma of Taylor and Dunaway, he just seemed extremely tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 373November 15, 2020 10:39 PM

But very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 374November 15, 2020 11:55 PM

R373 Believe it or nor but in his day, Helmut Berger had a charisma like Elizabeth Taylor (and more than Faye Dunaway), unfortantely, he was/is very self destructive.

by Anonymousreply 375November 16, 2020 12:39 AM

"Believe it or not"

by Anonymousreply 376November 16, 2020 12:40 AM

Years ago, I was really touched by a video I saw, They were honoring Helmut Berger for his birthday in Germany, there were a crowd standing waiting to take a photo with him or an autograph. He pointed only at one girl in the crowd, a Muslim girl standing (wearing the Islamic scraf/clothes), He asked her to come, he took a photo with her and gave her a kiss. It was a nice gesture.

by Anonymousreply 377November 16, 2020 12:48 AM

Helmut Berger: I would be the perfect pimp!

About his relationship with rock star Mick Jagger: “We had a threesome, Mick, me and Bianca. I introduced him to Bianca. Then he was with her. I also introduced Rod Stewart to his wife, Alana Hamilton. And I later introduced Britt Eklund to Rod Stewart when she was separated from Peter Sellers. I got all of my friends paired up. I would be the perfect pimp. "

Would Helmut Berger do it all over again and in exactly the same way?

Berger: “I don't know, those were different times back then. Today I want to grow old comfortably, not sick. I am afraid of illness. If I knew I had cancer, I would commit suicide. I am predisposed to do that. I don't know if I could get through this. And certainly not AIDS. "

And then Helmut Berger reveals that he likes to be chauffeured in a wheelchair to check-in at the airport, “it works faster”. He doesn't need any! “But I don't have to sit around and wait, no security and the whole thing. With the wheelchair I am on the plane in ten minutes, otherwise it takes two hours. "

by Anonymousreply 378November 16, 2020 5:48 AM

Alana Hamilton was dating Helmut Berger and Rod Stewart at the same time. I thought Alana was a good southern girl!

From Marie Helvin, David Bailey ex-wife, book:

"We'd met up with Alana Hamilton - by then divorced from actor George Hamilton and dating the singer Rod Stewart - and Helmut Berger, an Austrian actor known as "the most beautiful man in the world".

That night, we headed for the house of that old Rat Packer, Sammy Davis Jr - which was behind huge security gates and patrolled by armed guards.

Inside, there was quite a party going on: I could see 15 members of the American Football team Oakland Raiders all surrounded by sexy women. There was something unsettling about the way the men were evidently guests, and the women had clearly been "laid on" for them.

As background entertainment, a huge TV screen set in a sunken area in the living room was playing Sam Peckinpah's most violent movie, The Wild Bunch.

Sammy Davis Jr welcomed us.

"I must show you my collection," he said.

This turned out to be pornography through the ages...When we returned to the living room, the atmosphere was rowdier. In the sunken area, some of the girls were on their knees in front of a few reclining Oakland Raiders, clearly performing oral sex."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379November 16, 2020 6:01 AM

I always thought Sammy Davis Jr. was a porno hoarding perv.

by Anonymousreply 380November 16, 2020 1:52 PM

Helmut Berger was dating Alana Hamilton and Linda Blair at the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381November 16, 2020 6:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382November 16, 2020 6:13 PM

Young Helmut Berger praying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383November 16, 2020 7:28 PM

Old Helmut Berger praying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384November 16, 2020 7:30 PM

On Elizabeth Taylor : "That's my love. thin or fat, she's Elizabeth Taylor"

He HATES Jerry Hall: "She's a bitch. just rock and roll, I had her before Mick. How's Bianca?" (starting at 0:47 and 1:53)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385November 16, 2020 8:04 PM

Jerry Hall looking like real bitch in this photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386November 17, 2020 12:33 AM

Has anyone found the doc yet?

Tbere is no way this queen bedded all these women. He's a notorious and quite hilarious liar so his claims in this area follow suit.

by Anonymousreply 387November 17, 2020 10:12 PM

R387, I get the feeling he does not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

by Anonymousreply 388November 17, 2020 10:20 PM

He's bisexual. Not surprising he slept with many women and men.

by Anonymousreply 389November 17, 2020 11:07 PM

Helmut Berger (understandably) got embarrassed by the documentary and put a kibosh on it.

by Anonymousreply 390November 17, 2020 11:11 PM

Helmut Berger interview -1988

Q: In fact not much is known about you.

Helmut Berger: Ah no?

Q: No.

Helmut Berger: Why?

Q: It is not even known whether your name is Berger or Steinberger or...

Helmut Berger: My real name is Steinberger. It's Austrian.

Q: Yes. What did you do before? It is said that you set up a dramatic arts school in London, it is said...

Helmut Berger: No, my parents are in hotel management. I set up a hotel school. Afterwards, I went to London to go to drama school. I never went there because I...

Q: You didn't go to the school?

Helmut Berger: No, never. Because I overslept on the twentieth day. But I still took private lessons. And afterwards, well, I went to Rome, I tried out, tests for small parts, like everyone does when they begin as an extra.

Q: And what was your first film?

Helmut Berger: It was The Damned.

Q: You started directly with The Damned?

Helmut Berger: No, I had a small role in The Witches. It is a sketch. It's Visconti, Pasolini and Fellini who did it...

Q: Yes, there is a cassette that has just been released of The Damned. Everyone is buying it right now in France.

Helmut Berger: Really?

Q: Yes, because it is coming out on cassette. How did you meet Visconti?

Helmut Berger: I met him because I studied Italian at the Foreign University of Perugia. And I visited Tuscany and all of that. Well, I arrived in Volterra where he was shooting a film. I was there watching, I was fascinated. I was fascinated, I wanted to see how they shot a film. I met him there... it was Sandra of a Thousand Delights with Jean Sorel and Claudia Cardinale. In French it was called Sandra. There.

Q: How did it happen?

Helmut Berger: How did it happen?

Q: Your meeting?

Helmut Berger: Very simple because a friend of mine who is Neapolitan, and Visconti is from the house at [?]. They are friends. So my friend introduced me: "He is Visconti". He tells me that he has been preparing a film about an Austrian writer, of Musil [?]. Then he came to Rome, to do a test.

Q: Did you go?

Helmut Berger: I went, but I never did the film because Volker Schlöndorff did it. But afterwards, he was looking for cast members. He wanted to do Magic Mountain, by Thomas Mann, and it is not...how to say - it wasn't working. And Sautet as well. Well afterwards he wrote The Damned.

Q: Did he write it with you in mind?

Helmut Berger: No, because I was..... And I knew Mr. Krupp [?]. And I met these fascinating people. I introduced Arms to Mr. Visconti. Afterwards he had the idea of these men. He wrote... The whole story is between Thyssen et Krupp.

Q: He wrote the story for you in the end?

Helmut Berger: Yes

Q: What was your working relationship like? How did it go?

Helmut Berger: You know, it's very difficult because it was my first film. And I really didn't understand a thing about film.

Q: Everything happened?

Helmut Berger: Yes, I did well, good actor, bad actor. I was completely guided by Lucchino Visconti.

Q: And after that, how many films did you do with Visconti?

Helmut Berger: After that, hold on, I did Ludwig...

Q: The Mad King of Bavaria

Helmut Berger: Ludwig of Bavaria, I did Conversation Piece. There, three.

Q: Three with Ludwig. Are you aware that today you are a myth?

Helmut Berger: What?

Q: That you are a myth. You are not aware of this?

Helmut Berger: I am not yet dead...

Q: No, but you are a myth.

Helmut Berger: Well, that is nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391November 17, 2020 11:31 PM

Helmut Berger enjoys his life without alcohol 2018

The actor "could become very abusive when intoxicated." Now the Austrian is happy about his sober life.

Actor Helmut Berger (73) says he has not been drinking alcohol for several months - and is happy about the positive effects on his everyday life every day. "Waking up in the morning without a hangover is a nice feeling. It's a perfect life," the Austrian was quoted as saying by the German "Bild" newspaper.

"If I were to drink as much as I used to, I couldn't get through such a theater engagement," said the actor. He can currently be seen at the Berliner Volksbühne in the play "Liberte".

In the end, the alcohol consumption "only bored him", said Berger. "I've drank enough alcohol in my life. I had a big belly from all the beer, which I didn't like." In addition, drinking cost him good roles and friends. "I could get very abusive when I was intoxicated. And it's very exhausting when you have to apologize to all sorts of people the next day."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392November 18, 2020 3:06 PM

Helmut Berger with Keith Richards, Marilù Tolo & Anita Pallenberg - August 1967 In Rome, where Anita was filming “Barbarella” at the famous Cinecittà Studios.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393November 19, 2020 12:22 AM

Helmut Berger with Burt Lancaster and Luchino Visconti at conference

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394November 19, 2020 12:24 AM

Sammy Davis Jr. sounds like a creep.

by Anonymousreply 395November 19, 2020 9:30 PM

Whose nip is Helmut squeezing here?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396November 20, 2020 1:27 AM

R395 He certainly was.

by Anonymousreply 397November 20, 2020 3:10 AM

I still wanna know if there'll be a Peter DeVilbis on (new) Dynasty. Well???

by Anonymousreply 398November 20, 2020 4:13 AM

It seems that Helmut Berger was mentally fragile even before Visconti's death. In director Joseph Losey's diaries, During the filming of "The romantic Englishwoman" movie in 1975. Joesph wrote about about Helmut's suicide attempt one morning.

by Anonymousreply 399November 20, 2020 11:04 AM

Helmut Berger arrested by police.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400November 20, 2020 12:30 PM

Helmut Berger partying with friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401November 20, 2020 1:17 PM

What?...............

by Anonymousreply 402December 7, 2020 12:39 AM

I’ve often gotten a kick out of Helmut Berger, but let’s face it, he’s a complete mess! And a mass of contradictions.

A world-class beauty who completely trashed his looks through sheer excess. A mostly very bad actor, who is nonetheless a magnetic camera subject. A spoiled kept-boy with the grand pretensions of a duchess. A bourgeois kid from relatively humble origins, who hobnobbed with the cultural elite of his era. A libertine who has almost come across as prissy in some of his interviews. And hypocritically so. He 100% owes his fame and career to Visconti but he has even managed to trash and try to downplay that connection!

I think a fascinating biography could be written about Berger one day. Especially the Visconti years. But I don’t think HB can be relied upon as a reliable source. He has contradicted himself too many times over the years.

by Anonymousreply 403December 7, 2020 12:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!