Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

what is the point of middle names ?

I HATE THEM!

by Anonymousreply 99November 24, 2020 3:38 PM

I do too. My middle name gives away my identity to my women.

by Anonymousreply 1November 6, 2020 6:54 PM

Tell me about it!

by Anonymousreply 2November 6, 2020 6:55 PM

It's a family name!

by Anonymousreply 3November 6, 2020 6:56 PM

Would you like to live in a world without Jennifer Love Hewitt?

by Anonymousreply 4November 6, 2020 6:57 PM

No but JR or III at end of someone’s name annoys the fuck out of me

by Anonymousreply 5November 6, 2020 7:01 PM

OP, why are you complaining? No one refers to you as anything but "cunt," including your whore mother.

by Anonymousreply 6November 6, 2020 7:02 PM

Jesus Fucking Christ.

by Anonymousreply 7November 6, 2020 7:07 PM

F.U. O.P.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 6, 2020 7:15 PM

Middle names are OK. Single names like Capucine and Sting annoy me.

But Initials are worst. I hate calling men "Peejay" and Effjay"

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2020 10:33 PM

It’s such a white thing.

by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2020 10:34 PM

It’s so you can honor a friend or family member without actually giving your kid their first name.

Unfortunately now it’s just an excuse for folks to be “creative”.

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2020 11:06 PM

We fucking agree.

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2020 11:18 PM

Middle names let the parents use up 2 names they like, sometimes as a compromise. They also differentiate people, legally.

by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2020 11:23 PM

I like discovering people's middle names, for some reason. I have no idea why.

by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2020 11:27 PM

Italians don’t have middle names.

by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2020 11:28 PM

Mine is a family name - my mother’s maiden. I don’t mind it at all.

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2020 11:36 PM

Reasons vary....

For Roman Catholics and some other Christian religions children (or adults) are generally supposed to have name of at least one saint or martyr when baptized, hence first names often being called "Christian names". So if a child's given name was not "Christian" his or her middle name generally was, this and such children also were also named after various patron saints.

Middle names were also given to children to honor godparents or family members. Some children have more than one godparent (of either sex), and or their parents cover many bases by giving multiple saint names.

Princess Victoria baptized Alexandrina after one of her godparents, Emperor Alexander I of Russia, and Victoria, after her mother. Additional names proposed by her parents—Georgina (or Georgiana), Charlotte, and Augusta—were dropped on the instructions by Duke of Kent's eldest brother George, Prince Regent.

In fact only reason infant princess got "Alexandrina" was when it came time to actually baptize the child the Archbishop of Canterbury paused after "Victoria" feeling sure a royal infant deserved and should have more than one name. The Prince Regent (already hostile to the Kent family), paused for moment then barked out "give her the name of her godfather, but it cannot follow after the mother". Thus Princess Alexandrina Victoria of Kent was so christened. Upon coming to the throne Victoria took that name only totally dropping Alexandrina...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 8, 2020 12:02 AM

Please shut up, r17

by Anonymousreply 18November 8, 2020 12:07 AM

Other reasons for middle name?

Giving a child the maiden name of its mother as a means of continuing use of same in an era when virtually all married women took the name of their husband's family, Richard Milhous Nixon is an example....

Then you have the whole Spanish and Slavic patronymic naming customs were the "middle" name isn't what Americans believe it to be, but part of surname.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 8, 2020 12:12 AM

[quote]what is the point of middle names ?

For dramatic flourish.

- Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso

by Anonymousreply 20November 8, 2020 12:17 AM

No wonder he just stuck with Pablo Picasso.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 8, 2020 12:26 AM

In our Catholic family you needed to have a Saint's name. In my case my first name is a Saint's name and my middle is my mothers maiden name.

by Anonymousreply 22November 8, 2020 2:26 AM

George is the patron saint of England, which explains why if not first that name is usually part of the heir's name somehere.

Ditto for Patrick (patron saint of Ireland), and Andrew (patron saint of Scotland) .

Charles is derived from Charlemagne name of great king and emperor. This explains why so many English/British, French and other European royals have "Charles" as their primary given name or one of their "middle names". There is also Saint Charles Borromeo so the name ticks at least two boxes.

by Anonymousreply 23November 8, 2020 3:02 AM

Charlemagne was Carolus Magnus throughout Europe, and from him we get the words król (Polish), král (Czech), király (Hungarian), король (Russian), crai (Romanian), etc., all of which means "king."

by Anonymousreply 24November 8, 2020 3:37 AM

OP = Worse than Adolph Peaches Hitler

by Anonymousreply 25November 8, 2020 3:47 AM

r2, that's my name too!

by Anonymousreply 26November 8, 2020 3:52 AM

[quote]It’s such a white thing.

Not really.

by Anonymousreply 27November 8, 2020 4:27 AM

Some of us have common names. Middle names help sort us out. I also have another name (a confirmation name) which is fun because you get to pick your own.

by Anonymousreply 28November 8, 2020 4:30 AM

John Cameron Swayze, news anchor, game show panelist and spokesperson for Timex watches:

“It takes a licking and keeps on ticking.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 8, 2020 5:20 AM

[quote] what is the point of middle names ?

Capucine, Sting, Ann-Margret and Bourvil ask what is the point of a second name ?

by Anonymousreply 30November 9, 2020 10:02 PM

Sometimes you need it to get a SAG card.

by Anonymousreply 31November 9, 2020 10:06 PM

Only a small percentage of people use their middle name in any substantive way.

by Anonymousreply 32November 9, 2020 10:28 PM

I look upon them much as I do beauty pageant runners-up. If your first name is no longer available, your middle name can fill the void.

by Anonymousreply 33November 9, 2020 10:36 PM

Middle names became an obsession in the 1880s

Society people didn't use the first names in public life but they emphasised the middle name into a compound surname —

F. Scott Fitzgerald, C. Aubrey Smith, J. Carrol Naish, J Edgar Hoover, J Alfred Prufrock.

W. Somerset Maugham, A. Conan Doyle, G Bernard Shaw, V Sackville-West, J Maynard Keynes, R.J. Baden Powell, H Rider Haggard.

C. Montgomery Burns.

by Anonymousreply 34November 9, 2020 10:39 PM

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt.

by Anonymousreply 35November 9, 2020 10:41 PM

R34 is an example of the sad intersection of OCD and low intelligence.

Like a rat terrier chasing its stub of a tail.

by Anonymousreply 36November 9, 2020 10:48 PM

l like the royal tradition of having many names. Queen Mary (1867-1953) was Victoria Mary Augusta Louise Olga Pauline Claudine Agnes. Fun!

by Anonymousreply 37November 9, 2020 10:58 PM

Eurydice Colette Clytemnestra Dido Bathsheba Rabelais Patricia Cocteau Stone.

by Anonymousreply 38November 10, 2020 2:28 AM

Middle names should be the mother's maiden name. In tell you now so I don't have to say it again.

by Anonymousreply 39November 10, 2020 3:18 AM

Middle names honor rich elderly members of the family from whom one wishes to inherit.

by Anonymousreply 40November 10, 2020 3:25 AM

My mother-in-law hated 'em, so y'all can just call me "Pickles".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 10, 2020 3:33 AM

Well, I was christened as Martita Edith Hunt at the Centro Cristiano Príncipe de Paz in Buenos Aires.

But I think the Edith is redundant, don't you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 10, 2020 5:03 AM

Some of us have two middle names. And run out of ink.

by Anonymousreply 43November 10, 2020 3:19 PM

Mine first name was to honor my great grand father (mothers side) and my mothers maiden name is my middle name. I am also catholic so the first name is also a Saint's name.

by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2020 6:35 PM

Michael J. Fox. Daniel J. Travanti. John C. Reilly. Michael B. Jordan. William H. Macy. Michael C. Hall. Samuel L. Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2020 6:41 PM

...and Charles Nelson Reilly.

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2020 6:43 PM

If you're multi-racial or multi-national, then a middle name can be used to reflect that.

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2020 7:03 PM

I like the idea of a mother’s maiden name as a middle name. I believe that is a common practice in Latin countries.

by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2020 7:05 PM

My parents cursed me by using my middle name to address me. So everybody calls me by my second name, but official documents and people who don't know me refer to me by my first. Sometimes, I just use the first in those situations and have grown accustomed to either. Sometimes, I use all three, because I don't know how something is registered. This usually happens when I am receiving an identity challenge associated with some type of account.

by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2020 7:17 PM

Especially annoying are all the ladies on Facebook who can't let go of their maiden names. Even worse, those who hypenate them.

by Anonymousreply 50November 22, 2020 7:21 PM

R9 how do you feel about epithets?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 22, 2020 7:27 PM

I have two middle names.

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2020 2:28 AM

R50

That's wrong, shockingly wrong!

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2020 7:57 AM

Gollum OP HATESES them, the nasty middle nameses!!!

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2020 10:29 AM

Hmmm, funny this should come up. I’ve been thinking about changing mine, and even looked up the forms a few days ago (Muriel, you stalking me, gurl?)

Still undecided, though. My current middle names do have useful ‘posh’ cachet as a legacy (the first & surname name of one of my mother’s elderly wealthy relatives), and coincidentally have some interesting relevance to a folkloric figure. However, I dislike it as a name because I think it’s cheesy and old-fashioned, and further to that I dislike the family and the specific relative from whom I inherited them, too. The original bearer (now in her mid-eighties) thinks I’m hopeless white trash and doesn’t trust me, plus miserly as she is I don’t think for a second she’ll leave me anything in her will. The family as a whole are mostly estranged from me and my folks.

Maybe I ought just to change one of my middle names, as a start. I have in mind the name I’m 90% sure I want as an alternative second name, and it wouldn’t even change the initials of my original name. The new second name I want makes subtle reference to my ancestral origins and to my chosen spiritual path, which makes it sound lamer than it actually is.

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2020 11:26 AM

I like it!

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2020 11:38 AM

OP, names are what we use to identify people.

Often a middle name is used to honor a family member or a friend or because parents like the name.

OP, if you hate middle names then don't use them.

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2020 12:09 PM

I don't use my middle name. EVER.

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2020 12:22 PM

R35 couldn’t even get past r2.

Fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2020 12:37 PM

If we didn’t use middle names there’d be havoc in my house.

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2020 12:37 PM

Fuck you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2020 12:38 PM

Fun fact about r61,

Edgar (or Eddie as he was known in his time) didn’t often use his middle name as he’s referred to today. His middle name was the surname of his stepfather who cut him off from the family fortune when the father left him nothing in his will.

Eddie would rarely use the middle name from then on, and at most would sign Edgar A. Poe.

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2020 12:40 PM

R48 In Hispanic America we use 2 last names, father's first and mother's second, women don't change last name with marriage, is a wedding not an adoption. That way people have a name, middle names and 2 last name, that identify and individualize everyone, that what names are for, right? I think Brazilians use the mother's name first.

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2020 1:16 PM

R63 thank you for explaining. I like that tradition a lot, actually. This way you honor BOTH your parents (since BOTH parents made you).

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2020 1:35 PM

Fuck you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2020 2:35 PM

Gimme one’a them stones!

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2020 3:58 PM

I was the best Fallon. Right, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 67November 23, 2020 4:24 PM

You can never go down to the end of the town if you don't have lots of names.

by Anonymousreply 68November 23, 2020 11:05 PM

I like 'em. I wish it was a custom to have four names, which would help with tracking genealogy over time.

John David Smith OR John Michael David Smith?

With four names, the odds decrease of overlap/repetition.

by Anonymousreply 69November 23, 2020 11:08 PM

What's 'with this affect of guys marrying who become Charles Smith-Jones and Harry Smith-Jones. The queens must think they're in England.

by Anonymousreply 70November 23, 2020 11:11 PM

Are there any Brits on this thread? Because I've always wondered: what happens if Jonathan Smock-Bailey marries Evelyn Smythe-Broad -- they don't become the Smock-Bailey-Smythe-Broads, right? So what do they become???

by Anonymousreply 71November 23, 2020 11:13 PM

[quote] I'm actually not a scientist.

But you did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

by Anonymousreply 72November 23, 2020 11:18 PM

Yes, they do R15

Joseph "Joe Bananas" Bonanno

Tony "Big Tuna" Accardo

Luigi "Baby Shanks" Manocchio

Louis "Cock-Eyed Lou" Fratto

Frank "Fingers" Abbandando, Jr.

George "Butterass" DeCicco

to name a few

by Anonymousreply 73November 23, 2020 11:32 PM

OP, you're quite the queen. What does another's having a middle name mean to you? Grow up, missy.

by Anonymousreply 74November 23, 2020 11:34 PM

Mine is from a relative, who was named after another relative. I like it.

by Anonymousreply 75November 23, 2020 11:35 PM

Use it as your first name for your Onlyfans!

by Anonymousreply 76November 23, 2020 11:37 PM

My mother was good at choosing elegant, mellifluous names for her children.

by Anonymousreply 77November 23, 2020 11:39 PM

I am quite partial to mine.

by Anonymousreply 78November 23, 2020 11:51 PM

My parents were too poor to give us middle names.

by Anonymousreply 79November 24, 2020 12:12 AM

I have 2 middle names, and when I sign important documents I put the two initials between my first and last name. It looks very symmetrical.

Sometimes I get things sent to me that just have the first middle initial. This is very upsetting. For reasons which are well known to them.

[italic]“If you can’t do something right, don’t do it AT ALL!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 24, 2020 12:24 AM

R71 unless they're quite a consciously forward-thinking, forthrightly liberal, and somewhat bohemian couple, then Evelyn will lose both of her birth-given last names to become Mrs. Smock-Bailey. Simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 81November 24, 2020 12:25 AM

Married couples don’t have to change their names at all.

by Anonymousreply 82November 24, 2020 12:28 AM

I actually use my middle name as my first name. My first name is an old lady name, so everyone uses my second name. Not until Kindergarten did I even know it; I threw a fit and the nuns let me continue to use my preferred name.

by Anonymousreply 83November 24, 2020 12:32 AM

It's princely to have middle names.

Signed,

His royal highness, Christopher Rupert Windermere Vladimir Carl Alexander Francois Reginald Lancelot Herman

by Anonymousreply 84November 24, 2020 12:42 AM

You know-nothing!

by Anonymousreply 85November 24, 2020 1:58 AM

To annoy you, Op. Is it working?

by Anonymousreply 86November 24, 2020 2:00 AM

This thread is currently being reported to a monitor.

by Anonymousreply 87November 24, 2020 2:21 AM

Carrie Ann, this cunting OP needs a monitor:

JFK ASSASINATION HARDLY MENTIONED ANYMORE why bring up 60 year old drama? holding on to the past is toxic

what is the point of middle names ? I HATE THEM!

how to know what someone is doing at all times? his social media is private so i can't use that and he lives far away 😢

I want to be tied down and fucked HARD by 100 men anyone want to help make it happen for me?

i sold my lovers dirty underwear should i give him some of the money?

Should America fine fatties for being so fat? maybe that will finally stop all the obesity

i haven't pooped in 11 days normal?

how do people know which is right hand and which is left hand? i only know the difference bc i have a scar on my right hand

i was caught having sex with my stepdad we were caught by my half sister who threatened to tell my mom how do i stop her PLEASE HELP

a prisoner wants my hole this guy on grindr whose pic is him posing in front of what is obviously a prison bunk bed, should i respond?

by Anonymousreply 88November 24, 2020 2:33 AM

I think everybody ought to have two middle names,

by Anonymousreply 89November 24, 2020 2:55 AM

I am on it. OP will be found out, and dealt with by my cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 90November 24, 2020 4:01 AM

I like mine just fine.

by Anonymousreply 91November 24, 2020 5:42 AM

I love mine.

by Anonymousreply 92November 24, 2020 5:43 AM

Not in your cabinet R90, but RBG and I are on it.

by Anonymousreply 93November 24, 2020 2:55 PM

No comment.

by Anonymousreply 94November 24, 2020 2:57 PM

I hated my first and middle name. I changed my name and opted not to have a middle name.

by Anonymousreply 95November 24, 2020 3:08 PM

Assassins always use their middle names for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 96November 24, 2020 3:11 PM

R31 the same thing happened to me when I joined Equity.....I had to use all three of my names......

by Anonymousreply 97November 24, 2020 3:16 PM

My middle name is my mother's maiden name and I was always embarrassed by it as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 98November 24, 2020 3:16 PM

My middle name used to stalk me after school, and taunt me.

by Anonymousreply 99November 24, 2020 3:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!