Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Family Ties’ original cast to reunite for benefit special

Get ready for another star-studded blast from the past.

“Family Ties” has been added to the list of countless reunions, reboots and revivals happening this year. Original cast members who played the Keaton family on the iconic sitcom will join together Nov. 10 for the “Stars in the House” benefit series for The Actors Fund.

Meredith Baxter, Michael Gross, Michael J. Fox, Tina Yothers, Marc Price and Scott Valentine are slated to attend the reunion benefit hosted by Seth Rudetsky and James Wesley, Deadline reported.

“We’re so thankful that our audiences continue to generously donate to StarsInTheHouse.com, which goes directly to The Actors Fund, helping anyone in the artistic community with essential needs like financial support to buy groceries, pay rent and pay doctor’s bills,” Rudetsky and Wesley said. “We’re overwhelmed with gratitude that we raised over $15,000 during Tuesday’s all-day ‘Vote-a-thon’ broadcast.”

The pair added that they hope the “Family Ties” reunion will be comforting for many whose lives have been disrupted and upended by the coronavirus pandemic.

“During this time of what seems like unending national stress, we find that our audiences are drawn to reunions of what we call ‘comfort tv,’ those tv shows from yesteryear that brought us all so much joy,” they said. “Some of our most popular episodes featured TV shows like ‘Taxi,’ ‘Frasier,’ and ‘Melrose Place,’ and we have no doubt the ‘Family Ties’ reunion is going to be one of our most viewed!”

“Family Ties,” which ran on NBC from 1982-89, is one of many shows that “Stars In The House” has brought together, including “Scandal,” “Glee” and “30 Rock,” since it began in March.

The reunion will stream Tuesday at 8 p.m. EST on the “Stars In The House” YouTube channel and StarsInTheHouse.com.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 30, 2020 11:49 PM

Justine Bateman already had plans?

by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2020 10:44 PM

Was Justine Bateman busy?

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2020 10:44 PM

Why no Justine Bateman? WTF? WE WANT MALLORY!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2020 10:44 PM

Stupid

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2020 10:45 PM

Where's Andy?????

by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2020 10:46 PM

It's probably for the better that they're not including Brian Bonsall:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2020 10:46 PM

Justine is above it all. Or below. That kind of attitude is probably why she has no career.

by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2020 10:48 PM

No Tracy Pollan-Fox?

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2020 10:49 PM

Justine not attending seems to be causing more of a scandal than Delta Burke not appearing on the 'Designing Women' reunion. And that one was a two-parter with Wendy McClendon-Covey playing the part of Suzanne Sugarbaker in a table read of the pilot!

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2020 10:58 PM

I’ve just written and directed a major motion picture, y’all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2020 11:00 PM

Justine still holds a grudge that her movie career never took off.

by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2020 11:04 PM

Nor did she get to ride my monster hog!

by Anonymousreply 12November 5, 2020 11:05 PM

I’m sorry, but Brian Bonsall looks like the only only interesting one.

by Anonymousreply 13November 5, 2020 11:10 PM

They should riff on real life, and have both Keaton parents be living as gay people, with their new partners on the reunion. That would be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 14November 5, 2020 11:51 PM

I'm free!

by Anonymousreply 15November 5, 2020 11:56 PM

I’m not

by Anonymousreply 16November 6, 2020 12:05 AM

Sha la la la.

by Anonymousreply 17November 6, 2020 12:07 AM

They could get Jason Bateman to play Mallory.

by Anonymousreply 18November 6, 2020 12:22 AM

Is this the television equivalent of the Hollywood remake?

by Anonymousreply 19November 6, 2020 12:24 AM

"What would we do, baby, without us..."--with Meredith Baxter Birney?

Boy is Michael Gross ever barking up the wrong lesbian!

by Anonymousreply 20November 6, 2020 12:35 AM

Justine Bateman will probably just get "she looks so damn old" or "Why isn't she getting Botox treatments?" comments. But, still, seems odd she won't be a part of it.

by Anonymousreply 21November 6, 2020 12:51 AM

Maybe Marc Price or Scott Valentine is playing Mallory.

by Anonymousreply 22November 6, 2020 12:56 AM

Is Moon Unit available?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 6, 2020 1:03 AM

"And the role of Mallory will be played by Julia Roberts."

by Anonymousreply 24November 6, 2020 1:03 AM

I hope there's a segment for mean tweets and Tina Yothers can read hers. She was on either Conan or Leno years ago and was talking about how fans of the show hated her and she would get hate mail saying they wished she would die.

by Anonymousreply 25November 6, 2020 1:16 AM

I hate when they interrupt the guests to have the doctor talk about Covid. No shit we know that’s why you’re doing Stars in the House guys but for fucks sake I’d rather see the stars than hear the doctor tell the same Covid-19 information. Also reply 23 is right on, Moon Unit Zappa and Justine Bateman were separated at birth.

by Anonymousreply 26November 6, 2020 1:16 AM

Why reunite for a "benefit"? Meh. We want a revival of the series!!!

by Anonymousreply 27November 6, 2020 1:19 AM

I always found Michael Gross so damn sexy.

I think he was funnier and sexier than Michael J. Fox.

The hotter Michael.

by Anonymousreply 28November 6, 2020 1:30 AM

Will Courtney Cox stop by?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 6, 2020 1:32 AM

I liked Tina Yothers. I thought she got much better as the show progressed.

by Anonymousreply 30November 6, 2020 1:33 AM

Hated Tina in the show but she was on Celebrity Fit Club years later and I thought she was really great and relatable.

by Anonymousreply 31November 6, 2020 1:40 AM

As a gayling Tina’s hair horrified me.

by Anonymousreply 32November 6, 2020 1:43 AM

I agree. Michael Gross was quite attractive on the show...after he grew the beard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 6, 2020 1:44 AM

I like Tina but they didn't really know what to do with Jennifer as she got older.

Watching the show now, they really did cater to MJF. They simply turned Mallory into an airhead so Bateman had nothing to work with except act dumb along with Nick.

by Anonymousreply 34November 6, 2020 1:44 AM

WTF?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 6, 2020 1:47 AM

Tina Yothers hosted gay bingo in West Hollywood one night with some former SNL comedian (I think her name is Ellen). She seemed nice and approachable. There was a character actress sitting next to me playing bingo. She's the woman who played Doug's mother on King of Queens. She was there with her husband. They were funny and very friendly.

by Anonymousreply 36November 6, 2020 1:52 AM

[quote]She's the woman who played Doug's mother on King of Queens.

Jenny O'Hara?

by Anonymousreply 37November 6, 2020 1:55 AM

Yes. Her name is Jenny. I had forgotten her last name. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 38November 6, 2020 2:09 AM

I met Tina ~1990 when she was doing dinner theatre in Calgary — she was playing Sandy in Grease! She was good in the production but as well, she was a very sweet person. No attitude at all.

by Anonymousreply 39November 8, 2020 1:11 AM

Is Justine a Trumper? I looked at her twitter and the lack of politics seemed like it pointed that way.

by Anonymousreply 40November 8, 2020 1:21 AM

Michael Gross and Meredith Baxter Bushwhacker were only 35 when Family Ties started. 35! They both looked like a modern 50.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 8, 2020 1:24 AM

I don't think she is r40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 8, 2020 1:39 AM

Justine Bateman also skipped the reunion at the NBC 75th. But she did the Today show and seemed happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 8, 2020 1:47 AM

Why does Justine have such a bug up her ass about Family Ties? It's her only notable credit and it's not like she's super busy doing anything else that she can't participate in the reunions.

She must be a difficult person to get along with. Jason Bateman was on Stern a few years ago and he said they don't really have much of a relationship, even though they live very close to each other.

by Anonymousreply 44November 8, 2020 1:55 AM

Didn’t Justine taunt MJF on a regular basis by calling him a little homosexual boy?

by Anonymousreply 45November 8, 2020 2:01 AM

Meredith admitted, many years later, that she would drink white wine (in a plastic cup) on the set all the time, including when they were filming.

by Anonymousreply 46November 8, 2020 2:21 AM

[Quote] Meredith admitted, many years later, that she would drink white wine (in a plastic cup) on the set all the time, including when they were filming.

She's my spirit animal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 8, 2020 11:49 AM

I had the biggest crush on Brian Bonsall when I was a kid....

by Anonymousreply 48November 8, 2020 11:54 AM

[quote]Why does Justine have such a bug up her ass about Family Ties?

I dunno, I wouldn't be interested in a reunion with people I worked with over 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 49November 8, 2020 12:23 PM

I can't believe this!

They have actually located Scott Valentine!?

by Anonymousreply 50November 8, 2020 12:29 PM

R36 Ellen Cleghorne?

by Anonymousreply 51November 8, 2020 12:32 PM

Who cares about that CRAPPY show.

by Anonymousreply 52November 8, 2020 12:59 PM

[quote]Didn’t Justine taunt MJF on a regular basis by calling him a little homosexual boy?

That was Demi Moore.

by Anonymousreply 53November 8, 2020 1:05 PM

R52 = Matthew Broderick

by Anonymousreply 54November 8, 2020 2:32 PM

Did Mallory ever graduate from "Grant College"? LMAO!

by Anonymousreply 55November 8, 2020 4:38 PM

[quote]Why does Justine have such a bug up her ass about Family Ties? It's her only notable credit and it's not like she's super busy doing anything else that she can't participate in the reunions.

Apparently she wanted to go to college at the end of season three or four and thought the show would be able to write around her absences. But the producers told her no because she was too popular to only be on half the shows each season. She stayed, but didn't enjoy doing as much as she once did. I'm sure MJF getting a lions share of the attention didn't help things either.

by Anonymousreply 56November 8, 2020 4:49 PM

Family Ties was originally supposed to be centered around Gross and Baxter Birney with the kids as supporting players, but then Michael J Fox blew up and got tons of attention, so the show was changed with Alex P Keaton as the star.

It's the old story of a supporting actor becoming the breakout star of a series, and then the whole series is retooled to center around that actor. Sometimes the other actors on the show just take it in stride and continue to do their jobs, and then other times it's a war zone on the set.

by Anonymousreply 57November 8, 2020 4:55 PM

Justine was in that late '90s (?) short-lived sitcom Men Behaving Badly (with that Deuce Bigalow guy). I don't remember if the show was good or crap. Poor Justine. How does she earn a living?

by Anonymousreply 58November 8, 2020 5:11 PM

Well, whatever and however she's earning money, she's certainly not using that money on Botox.

by Anonymousreply 59November 8, 2020 5:52 PM

Maybe Jason throws her a few bucks every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 60November 8, 2020 5:54 PM

She got an Emmy nomination while her brother was on a bunch of shows he now pays dirt to.

by Anonymousreply 61November 8, 2020 6:55 PM

R57 Baxter Birney can’t complain at all. Her per episode pay skyrocketed thanks to MJF becoming a huge star (120k/episode the last season or two ). That’s a lot more than she was worth.

by Anonymousreply 62November 8, 2020 8:55 PM

Now I'm wondering whether or not Alex *would* be a Trumptard. I'm leaning towards no.

But I think he fully supported Mitt Romney's nomination.

by Anonymousreply 63November 8, 2020 9:21 PM

Not sure why, but I feel like Alex would have supported Ted Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 64November 8, 2020 9:48 PM

All the talk of Jason Bateman makes me wish for a 'Hogan Family' reunion. I worry about not seeing Sandy Duncan for awhile. (This is when someone makes the requisite DL glass eye joke and replies, "I bet Sandy worries about seeing you, too.")

by Anonymousreply 65November 9, 2020 5:37 AM

R46 I like her even more now. I'm wondering if this is when she became an alcoholic. An excerpt of her autobiography, [italic] Untied [/italic] stated she was an alcoholic for a spell.

I'm reading the book next, it looks really fascinating, considering how weird her mum and gran were. She thinks her grandmother's many husbands' bodies ought to be exhumed. She comes off as a black widow.

R62 I believe she was worth it... (as I remember the L'Oreal adverts) She was quite popular at the time, and the show wouldn't have been the same without her.

by Anonymousreply 66November 9, 2020 6:05 AM

Who will be watching tonight?

by Anonymousreply 67November 10, 2020 11:11 PM

I won't!

by Anonymousreply 68November 10, 2020 11:22 PM

It’s a “benefit”? Who donates the money? Who gets it?

by Anonymousreply 69November 10, 2020 11:37 PM

Fuck Alex Pee Keaton. He had a picture of William F. Buckley above his bed! He talked to a photo of Nixon!

by Anonymousreply 70November 10, 2020 11:40 PM

I wonder if they'll have a family portrait at the beginning of the zoom like in the opening credits. They should photoshop in some meth addict to double as Justine.

by Anonymousreply 71November 10, 2020 11:41 PM

Keaton was definitely the break-out star, and his role most likely grew, but he was a pretty big focus from the start. It was not as big of a change as say Fonzie and Urkel who were truly supporting or recurring characters at first.

The cast was pretty good and had decent chemistry with each other, but many of the episodes have not aged well. It did fall into the very special episode syndrome of the 80's from time to time.

I know they needed to keep everyone at home for story line purposes, but if there was ever a character who was going to go away for college or at very least not live at home it was Alex. I do think the ending was a bit more realistic where he broke up with Cortney Cox because his career (cannot remember if it was a job or grad school) came first. I saw the finale somewhat recently on Antenna TV, and it was a little cringeworthy of how they had to make it dramatic where Elyse was full of anger for Alex leaving. He was about 45 -- it was time!

by Anonymousreply 72November 10, 2020 11:43 PM

Just adding -- Skippy also stayed on way past his expiration date.

by Anonymousreply 73November 10, 2020 11:44 PM

Michael Gross still looks good on this zoom!

by Anonymousreply 74November 11, 2020 12:07 AM

Seth's husband used a poor choice of words introducing Marc Price. He's in a remote area and said his connection might shaky.

by Anonymousreply 75November 11, 2020 12:51 AM

Brian looks good except for the next tattoo. He seems pretty well-rounded.

by Anonymousreply 76November 11, 2020 12:54 AM

This show is cringe-worthy and supercheese, watching it now on Antenna TV. Growing Pains, Who's the Boss, and Head of the Class are also dated/rather terrible/kind of boring. I can't believe those shows were MUST SEE TV for me 35 years ago. Of course I was merely a tween back then. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 77November 11, 2020 1:23 AM

It's still better than most shit on nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 78November 11, 2020 1:30 AM

I was a kid back in the 80s and watched all the family sitcoms religiously. Growing Pains, Family Ties, Cosby Show, Different Strokes, Mr. Belvedere and so on. In my adult life, when I've happened upon a rerun, I can't watch for three minutes. They are absolutely putrid, and SO boring. I can't believe I used to watch all of these shit shows.

When Roseanne came along, that genre of sitcom's days were numbered. Roseanne really put an end to it.

by Anonymousreply 79November 11, 2020 1:38 AM

I still think some of them are funny. Family Ties was funny when it had a bit of an edge. Not all the time but sometimes it did have that bite. Mr. Belvedere is still funny. Mr. Belvedere and Wesley being frenemies is a highlight. Gimme a Break still makes me laugh although a lot of the Samantha-focused episodes are annoying.

by Anonymousreply 80November 11, 2020 1:59 AM

Many Facts of Life episodes don't hold up. Jesus H. I'm sure I'll get crucified for saying that on here, but whatevs.

by Anonymousreply 81November 11, 2020 12:46 PM

Reunion was cute, so thanks to OP and others for the reminder to watch it! Justine definitely should've participated, as it seemed like they all thoroughly enjoyed seeing one another again. (Even Brian Bonsall showed up!)

by Anonymousreply 82November 11, 2020 3:37 PM

Did Justine show up?

by Anonymousreply 83November 11, 2020 3:39 PM

R83, no Justine. The guy who played Nick was also there, and Skippy was there for a minute before he had some wifi difficulties.

by Anonymousreply 84November 11, 2020 4:10 PM

[quote]The guy who played Nick was also there

I am not going to watch the entire panel, so I forwarded through the vid and thought, "Who is this old guy with the grey hair? A producer?" Then it dawned on me it was Scott Valentine. He looks good.

by Anonymousreply 85November 11, 2020 6:09 PM

Michael Gross is checking the Youtube comments. He responded to a Justin inquiry.

Michael Gross: It would have been great to have her, but she explained that she was not a fan of these virtual meetings, and declined. We missed her.

by Anonymousreply 86November 11, 2020 6:15 PM

Maybe Justine was afraid of comments focusing on her looks.

by Anonymousreply 87November 11, 2020 6:21 PM

Maybe she has PTSD from visiting Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 88November 11, 2020 6:55 PM

Maybe she has PTSD from Leif Garrett's cock.

by Anonymousreply 89November 12, 2020 12:15 AM

[quote] He talked to a photo of Nixon!

We would’ve had the photo talk back but we couldn’t afford it.

by Anonymousreply 90November 14, 2020 5:53 AM

Justine's living in squalor. Stay tuned for her GoFundMe thingy. Help my big sis, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 91November 14, 2020 6:54 AM

The most unrealistic thing about the show was that the mother’s name was Elyse. I’ve never met or even HEARD of anyone with that name who wasn’t Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 92November 17, 2020 4:29 AM

Elyse means "God's promise" what ever that means.

by Anonymousreply 93November 17, 2020 4:49 AM

R92 I've never thought of it as a Jewish name, but then I grew up in flyoverstan without a lot of Jews around.

by Anonymousreply 94November 17, 2020 5:21 AM

Justine Bateman was on Bret Easton Ellis' podcast a few months back. She'd directed or produced a movie, and was pretty upset over Covid having wrecked the premiere (I think it was supposed to be March 15.)

It sounded like maybe she felt the shutdown was overkill, and was a bit bitter. Definitely got the feeling she's anti-PC, but I'm not sure if she goes as far to support Trump.

by Anonymousreply 95November 17, 2020 5:31 AM

No Mallory, no dice.

by Anonymousreply 96November 17, 2020 5:34 AM

She went on a gay man's show and didn't turn into a pillar of salt. That's a start.

by Anonymousreply 97November 17, 2020 10:53 PM

Did Jason say why he and Justine are now estranged?

by Anonymousreply 98November 18, 2020 12:58 AM

Justine has made several comments on social media bitching about Covid restrictions. She comes off as a deplorable. And she also promoted her book on deplorable Megan Kelly’s one season flop show.

She seems to have a negative energy. Glad she wasn’t at the Zoom reunion. Nasty attitude and thinks she’s so above it all.

by Anonymousreply 99November 18, 2020 1:42 AM

[quote]Why does Justine have such a bug up her ass about Family Ties? It's her only notable credit.

Actually, wasn't she the spokeswoman for Laramie Cigarettes?

by Anonymousreply 100November 18, 2020 1:47 AM

[quote]Jason Bateman was on Stern a few years ago and he said they don't really have much of a relationship, even though they live very close to each other.

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 101November 18, 2020 1:49 AM

I get the impression she's bitter that her career went nowhere. She got so much flack for Satisfaction. It was a huge flop and her singing was atrocious. It must have stung that not only did MJF was a movie star but a supporting actress in her film would end up an Oscar nominee a year or so later and become a megastar shortly thereafter.

I remember seeing Justine in a TV movie a few years later. She was the star but she was charmless and just wasn't strong or likable enough to carry it.

And I wonder if she's jealous of Jason. He was able to pull off an impressive "second act" in his career.

by Anonymousreply 102November 18, 2020 1:51 AM

[quote] R36 Ellen Cleghorne?

Yes. It was clear she didn't like being there. She was not quite as cheery as Tina. I do remember she made a comment about calling her agent for better gigs or getting a new agent. Or something of that nature. It definitely was snark. Not humor. I remember thinking "what a bitch." It was a fun night but I remember Ellen coming across as not so thrilled to be there.

by Anonymousreply 103November 18, 2020 2:12 AM

I met MJF in New Hampshire when he was working the phones for Pete Buttigieg. He made time to chat with everyone, and his love of Pete was so sincere and clear to see

by Anonymousreply 104November 18, 2020 2:20 AM

Justine's TV career was shit. She wasn't even in that TV movie "Poison Ivy", which starred many of NBC's teen/young actors (including MJF and me). Fuck 'er!

by Anonymousreply 105November 18, 2020 2:27 AM

It’s a potluck with an open bar.

Fox will make the martinis.

by Anonymousreply 106November 18, 2020 2:27 AM

Were MJF and Nancy Mckeon a real life couple or was that just for the teen mags? I notice he likes her pictures on instagram every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 107November 18, 2020 2:28 AM

R107, yes. Hot 'n heavy.

by Anonymousreply 108November 18, 2020 2:30 AM

R103 Considering I haven’t heard her name since 1995, I’m surprised Ellen wasn’t happy just to have a gig.

by Anonymousreply 109November 18, 2020 3:06 AM

[quote]I get the impression she's bitter that her career went nowhere.

Me too. And then you have her brother who became very successful. That must bother her.

by Anonymousreply 110November 18, 2020 3:27 AM

I just watched the reunion. It was a lot of fun. Tina Yothers revealed that Michael J Fox used to pin her down on the ground and fart on her head. All in fun. The cast talked about how they had fun on the set and how they welcomed guests with open arms.

Didn't Courtney Cox imply that it wasn't a happy set?

by Anonymousreply 111November 18, 2020 6:38 AM

There's a mean girl hierarchy. She was at the bottom of the acting food chain on Family Ties.

by Anonymousreply 112November 18, 2020 6:47 AM

[quote]Tina Yothers revealed that Michael J Fox used to pin her down on the ground and fart on her head. All in fun.

That’s fucking gross and I’m not sure how that is s considered fun for the person on the receiving end.

That would never fly today and you would seriously be reprimanded for that.

by Anonymousreply 113November 20, 2020 6:05 PM

Justine looks ravaged by something. Eating disorder?

by Anonymousreply 114November 20, 2020 6:24 PM

Justine Bateman was certainly no Lisa Whelchel!

by Anonymousreply 115November 20, 2020 7:01 PM

R113, I agree. I hope he apologized. It is an abuse of power.

by Anonymousreply 116November 20, 2020 8:42 PM

MARY Baxter Birneys!!!

by Anonymousreply 117November 20, 2020 9:20 PM

I thought Fox had "retired" from show business due to health reasons.

by Anonymousreply 118November 20, 2020 10:50 PM

It was barely watchable because MJF audio was horrible, Tina ‘fat frau housewife trying to be the cool mom’ Yothers was talking all the bloody time then she got FOMO when the young kid from the show showed off his brand new adorable baby so she forced her FUG teen to get on camera. Meridith Baxter had an attitude problem, didn’t laugh when others did and was oddly cold. Maybe she had no Audio but she didn’t seem very receptive unless it was about her. I hate when they stop the chat to bring on their “medical expert” to discuss what we all know about Covid-19 already. It takes the show to a screeching halt.

by Anonymousreply 119November 21, 2020 2:55 AM

Justine was in a film where she plays a mad scientist that transplants wolves eyes in a guy played by the late Cory Monteith.

I kid you not!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120November 21, 2020 3:39 AM

Whaddabout M.B. Birney on the Aaron Spelling drama "Family" (1976-80)? I'm currently watching seasons one and two. Love that DL fave Kristy McNichol!

by Anonymousreply 121November 21, 2020 4:27 AM

R119 she has always been oddly cold. There’s something offputting about her that I’ve never quite been able to put my finger on.

by Anonymousreply 122November 21, 2020 4:45 AM

R119 Does it make sense to you that she’s now a drake? She’s just dead personality, how did she make it at all as an actress? Totally dead as a performer. Zero charisma or like ability. Like Renee zellweger in that there’s just something unlikeable about her hard to put your finger on.

by Anonymousreply 123November 21, 2020 5:10 AM

[quote] Whaddabout M.B. Birney on the Aaron Spelling drama "Family" (1976-80)? I'm currently watching seasons one and two. Love that DL fave Kristy McNichol!

Family was superior in every way to Family Ties. I loved that show.

by Anonymousreply 124November 21, 2020 6:07 AM

I couldn’t stand Sada Thompson on FAMILY. Kate Lawrence was so smug about everything.

by Anonymousreply 125November 21, 2020 9:21 PM

Every TV show cast seems to have their own little bitter ‘Eve Plumb.’

by Anonymousreply 126November 29, 2020 2:55 AM

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 11/12

Things Were Different: I don't know if they have really made up, but a reunion probably wouldn't have happened if there was not some reaching out. It was a different time when they were shooting their hit sitcom ("Family Ties"). He was A list (Michael J. Fox) and at the time, she was not far behind. At that point in his life, our actor preferred spending time with men rather than women and his co-star (Meredith Baxter) used to talk smack to him about his dating preferences. The thing is, as the show became a larger hit, it was not just her talking to him about it, but all his "people," and then the next thing you know he had a girlfriend who became his wife (Tracy Pollan). They couldn't have their huge money maker get caught with a man. It would ruin him. The co-star who talked to him like that is not the same person now she was then. She would probably condemn her old self. You would think this was some show from the 1950's, but it wasn't. It was decades later. All of you know who these two people are. "Family Ties"/Michael J. Fox/Meredith Baxter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 29, 2020 3:03 AM

But why?

by Anonymousreply 128November 29, 2020 3:27 AM

MB was the one talking smack about that? Knowing what we know now, I find that difficult to believe.

by Anonymousreply 129November 29, 2020 9:46 AM

MB was a hypocrite. And still is.

by Anonymousreply 130November 29, 2020 4:03 PM

Well, remember, Meredith had her share of beard marriages.

by Anonymousreply 131November 29, 2020 4:17 PM

The story on here from someone who claimed to know Michael J Fox during that period was that it was Justine who was very homophobic to him on the set. Using to openly ridicule him.

I doubt Meredith was that caught up in Michael's love life as she was going through her own shit with Birney at that time. Plus she had a favored nations clause in her contract, so everytime MJF got a raise, she got more.

by Anonymousreply 132November 29, 2020 4:25 PM

David Birney was a total asshole, Meredith went through a lot with him.

by Anonymousreply 133November 29, 2020 4:37 PM

I'm available, but I must see the script.

by Anonymousreply 134November 29, 2020 4:40 PM

What did Birney do to her? Did he beat her? Did he know about her closet lesbianism?

by Anonymousreply 135November 30, 2020 11:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!