Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Am I the only person who wishes Robin Sparkles was a real pop star?

I would definitely buy her bubblegum pop album. As bad and silly as the lyrics are, they aren’t far off from many actual hit songs lyrics 😂

It’s also very catchy.

I miss How I Met Your Mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2021 3:29 PM

Then just get one of Alanis' first two teen-pop albums that Robin Sparkles was spoofing.

by Anonymousreply 1November 3, 2020 9:10 PM

R1 really? Is that who Sparkles was based off of?

by Anonymousreply 2November 3, 2020 9:15 PM

Yes. This is the pre-"Jagged Little Pill" Alanis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2020 9:18 PM

Wow r3. She looks great there!!! I always found her hideous after she blew up. She looks pretty here and can dance! Who knew?!

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2020 9:20 PM

Is Ken "Wiseguy" Wahl the dark-haired dude with Alannis? How OLD is that video?

Casting James Van Der Beek vs Robin Sparkles (and Alan Thicke)--genius.

by Anonymousreply 5November 3, 2020 9:26 PM

Robin Sparkles' character was an obvious inside joke to us Canadians. Alanis was the Canadian response to Martika who parlayed the stint on a popular sketch comedy show for kids ("You Can't Do That on Television") into a pop career that resulted in a couple of dance pop albums. She disappeared for a couple of years after that only to emerge as a pop behemoth with a completely different style of music and a different image.

by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2020 9:27 PM

If only I'd gotten material as strong as "Sandcastles" to record. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2020 9:29 PM

Tiffany is in the video too. That’s funny.

by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2020 9:43 PM

This makes me feel better

by Anonymousreply 9November 4, 2020 3:33 AM

It's a shame that How I Met Your Mother went completely down the shitter at the end.

That series finale was a huge piece of shit.

But I loved Robin Sparkles. It was a great tribute to the pre-Jagged Little Pill Alanis.

by Anonymousreply 10November 4, 2020 4:14 AM

sidebar: such a sucky ending; the mother was an 'eh' and robin was the love of the lead guy's life all along.

duh; we knew that.

I can't believe this show ran for years

by Anonymousreply 11November 4, 2020 4:58 AM

Robin Rocks! Her videos make me very happy and I wish there were more of them. I would even watch her in old Tim Horton commercials.

by Anonymousreply 12November 4, 2020 7:55 AM

R11 it’s one of the most successful American series of all time overseas

by Anonymousreply 13November 4, 2020 3:35 PM

I wish that they would just “accidentally” erase the whole last season and maybe make a new finale to the series.

by Anonymousreply 14November 4, 2020 3:45 PM

Another faithful viewer here who HATED the final season and resolution. Biggest letdown ever for a long-running series.

by Anonymousreply 15November 4, 2020 3:52 PM

I found the final season interesting. I know, I’m in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 16November 4, 2020 3:52 PM

[Quote] such a sucky ending; the mother was an 'eh' and robin was the love of the lead guy's life all along.

Which was obvious to everyone but the writers. But the mother was pretty good in Palm Springs with Andy Samberg.

[Quote] it’s one of the most successful American series of all time overseas

Is it really?? I find that hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 17November 5, 2020 3:36 AM

R17 it was huge overseas.

by Anonymousreply 18November 5, 2020 8:56 AM

The last season was fine. It was the last episode that was fan-servicing, frau-servicing garbage.

Robin belonged with Barney. Her attitudes perfectly matched his. Ted was way too boring for her.

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2020 10:50 AM

I'm genuinely shocked by the video at R3!

by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2020 11:00 AM

I have lived in the UK, Australia and Singapore. It had a following in the UK and was not on a main channel. It was not known in Singapore and was somewhat successful in Australia. Huge is stretching here in terms of those 3 countries-a lot.

by Anonymousreply 21November 5, 2020 11:36 AM

But Robin Sparkles is genius

by Anonymousreply 22November 5, 2020 11:37 AM

I wonder how much was Colby or how much was the writing and direction. Because her performance as Robin is possibly one of the funniest on tv.

by Anonymousreply 23November 5, 2020 11:59 AM

Cobie Smulders was great as Robin.

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2021 3:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!