Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

đź“© What about the Mail-in Ballots?!?

Is this thing even going to be decided on election night?

With millions of votes casted via mail-in ballots this election, counties are going to need time to count them. I voted via mail-in and in my county my ballot just needs to be post marked 11/3 to be counted. So theoretically, ballots can take up to three - four days after the election to reach my voting office. Also, some counties have rules that they can’t even start counting mail-in ballots until the day after the election.

When is this thing going to be decided?

by Anonymousreply 19November 3, 2020 3:42 AM
by Anonymousreply 1November 2, 2020 10:21 PM

Never.

by Anonymousreply 2November 2, 2020 10:24 PM

The mail in ballot thing is going to be disaster. Basically without a landslide from in-person voting, the Republicans will play games for weeks. We won’t be able to have a moment of celebration we need so badly. I guess it’s a good practice run for the “end” of the pandemic. Not likely to be a moment when “it’s over”.

by Anonymousreply 3November 2, 2020 10:45 PM

[quote] With millions of votes casted

Cast. Just cast.

by Anonymousreply 4November 2, 2020 10:47 PM

R4 thanks.

by Anonymousreply 5November 2, 2020 10:49 PM

[quote]When is this thing going to be decided?

How the fuck should we know?

by Anonymousreply 6November 2, 2020 10:58 PM

OP, it all will require patience.

It was right to encourage people to Vote By Mail given the situation with Covid. It's not some plot. But it will require patience.

If laws were already in place in some states as to when Vote By Mail Ballots will be counted, then that also is not some plot.

I remember great complaints some elections ago where the media were projecting a winner based on the votes that had been tallied from the east coast and the midwest. The result was that a significant number of people who would have voted on the west coast just didn't bother because they thought the whole thing had already been decided. There was a big uproar over this and it caused a re-think as to how and when media election coverage would report the earlier voting.

Our local newspaper wrote a careful post that I read today about how they would approach describing the incoming numbers with careful and continuing reminders of how many votes had yet to be counted.

Our media are not always the most patient and they are eager to be the first with the big story. But, particularly with this election, I hope some of the media blabbermouths keep their big traps shut until the TOTALS are in.

by Anonymousreply 7November 2, 2020 11:11 PM

R7 thanks for the response. I don’t think voting by mail is a plot or implied that in my post. I voted by mail, and I’m incredibly grateful I was able to. I have an autoimmune disease so the thought of voting in person was stressing me out. I’m just wondering when we’re going to find out who won the election. All this build up and the race might not even be called tomorrow night. I’m wondering if people are prepared for that possibility.

by Anonymousreply 8November 2, 2020 11:18 PM

I don't understand why the Biden campaign and big-name Democrats were pushing mail-in ballots so hard. There was already problems with the USPS and it was only going to get worse. I went to early voting - it was easy, there was no way I was going to vote by mail.

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2020 11:22 PM

State website should have a way to track your mail in ballot.

by Anonymousreply 10November 2, 2020 11:54 PM

March 23, 2022

by Anonymousreply 11November 3, 2020 12:05 AM

You may as well look at it this way: we all mostly mailed in our ballots, right? And you may or may not knowwhen they got to the auditor’s office, or were collected from the ballot box. You don’t know when they’ll count your vote. Maybe they’ll mail everybody the results in a month or so.

by Anonymousreply 12November 3, 2020 12:24 AM

It doesn't take long to feed ballots into a machine and be counted. In Ohio, the mail-in and early voting ballots will be included in the end-of-day tally.

"The early ballots being cast in record numbers this election are counted at varying times in different states, so partial results showing which presidential candidate is ahead Tuesday night are likely to fluctuate.

Early voting generally falls into two kinds—voting by mail and voting in person prior to Election Day. Those early in-person votes are often included in the initial partial results posted by many states, along with some Election Day results, after polls close."

by Anonymousreply 13November 3, 2020 1:29 AM

It's going to take forever because both parties are going to go on and on. But we should have stuck to our guns with Al Gore and Florida.

by Anonymousreply 14November 3, 2020 1:44 AM

[quote] It’s gonna take awhile to get all our votes counted. I’m willing to wait...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 3, 2020 1:50 AM

How did you get that little envelope in your title OP?

It's pretty cool. Do you use copied HTML or something?

by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2020 2:04 AM

[quote]And you may or may not know when they got to the auditor’s office, or were collected from the ballot box.

Most if not all states have online ballot tracking.

by Anonymousreply 17November 3, 2020 3:15 AM

[quote]With millions of votes casted...

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 18November 3, 2020 3:29 AM

I dont think its going to make that big of a difference unless you are in a swing state/county where the margin is razor thin. The media will be making solid projections for most states tomorrow night. They know what percentage of mail in votes traditionally goes to what party according to the region.

Most elections offices are prepared logistically to handle hundreds of thousands of ballots at a rapid pace. Its like the USPS handling mail, a lot of the work is automated. Its only going to become an issue if you have a case where the validity of said cast ballots is in question, like Florida circa year 2000. That is when humans have to use their eyeballs to count votes, and then things get really slow.

by Anonymousreply 19November 3, 2020 3:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!