Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who should play Wolverine in my Marvel universe?

I was discussing it with a friend the other day and she thought my choice was mental but I’ve got quite a few valid reasons for why I think he’d be the ideal choice to play him. It was this guy here;

Elijah Wood.

Now, on first glance it seems a ridiculous choice, I know. But there’s actually several reasons behind why I think he’d be ideal to play him.

First off, there’s his height. As comic readers know, Wolverine is supposed to be really short for a guy (5′3″) and although I’ve always liked how Hugh Jackman has portrayed him on the big screen (shame about the solo films being rather poor- other than Logan that is) the fact is he’s far too tall in my opinion. He’s 6′2″ so nearly a full foot taller and, although they’d do tricks to make him appear shorter because he’s the same height as Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth in reality, you really need someone shorter. Elijah Wood’s height (in feet) varies between sources but he’s normally listed to be either 5′5″ or 5′6″ so both of those are below average height and only 2/3 inches off Wolverine’s official height.

Secondly, his appearance. The picture up above shows him looking suitably serious and bearded for the role of Wolverine but another thing (which my friend initially said was “completely wrong”) is his eye colour. In the comics Wolverine’s eye colour (oddly) tends to vary and they’re sometimes shown as darker (much like Jackman’s) but he’s pretty frequently drawn with absolutely piercing bright blue eyes, seen here;

And, as the above picture of Elijah shows, he certainly matches him there. This picture as well shows him both suitably dishevelled and bearded to give a further example;

When you look at the two alongside each other then they’re really pretty similar to each other so, facially and height wise, he suits the role.

Thirdly, he’s also played a role before which, although darker than Wolverine’s personality, was stylistically pretty similar to him in a fighting sense. The role I’m meaning was that of Kevin from 2005’s Sin City;

The way he fought Marv in that was attacking from the shadows and striking him with razor sharp claws. Obviously the “razor sharp claws” in the film were more like Sabretooth’s but, same time, switching the finger claws for three blades on each hand doesn’t take much imagination. And, again obviously, Wolverine is often known for charging in head first and relying on his healing factor to carry him through fights but he’s often shown using similar stealthy tactics and hitting the unwary too so, again, it wouldn’t take much imagination to picture him doing the same as Wolverine.

The other issue my friend had was that “he’s too young” to play him. Again though, if you take Hugh Jackman’s age when he first took the role he was 31 when he appeared in X-Men and Elijah Wood is 36 right now and fast approaching 37 so he’s fairly near middle-aged which is how the present day Wolverine is usually drawn.

So, yeah. I reckon that Elijah Wood would be the best person for the role if you’re looking for someone who would remain pretty faithful to the comic character’s roots and he’s already shown that he can perform good action scenes as well. He may need to bulk up a little for the role but fairly sure that wouldn’t be much of an issue for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 9, 2021 1:55 PM

Wolverine blue yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 28, 2020 5:34 AM

Elijah Wood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 28, 2020 5:34 AM

Kevin from 2005’s Sin City

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 28, 2020 5:36 AM

It's a good thing you have no connection to the film industry.

Up next: OP casts Scarlett Johanssen as Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 4October 28, 2020 5:36 AM

Daniel Radcliffe to be the new Wolverine. What the actors do, right? They act. They play different characters. Just because he was Harry Potter doesn't mean that the actor can't play a different character. The actors are good at playing different character types! It's called "acting" !!! Actors can change A LOT based on role. They think that Radcliffe may just be the character he played in Harry Potter. The guy is good, does a lot of plays and Broadway shows. He also has several other films, not just HP films. In addition to being one of the actors most similar to the character, short and hairy. Looking suitably serious and bearded for the role of Wolverine, but something else is the color of his eyes. In the comics, Wolverine's eye color (strangely) tends to vary and are sometimes darker (much like Jackman's), but he is often drawn with bright blue eyes absolutely penetrating. With regard to face and height, it fits on the paper. Wolverine needs to be furry and short because it's the that makes you stand out from the other tall, blond and cute cliché heroes. Unlike Jackman, Wolverine is an extremely short man - he just it would need more muscles. Daniel Radcliffe may have a strict training and diet regime for the role of Wolverine. Hugh Jackman was not muscular before the first X-Men so why couldn't Daniel also? Radcliffe is actually much closer to Wolverine's look than Hugh Jackman, at least when it comes to height. Wolverine in the comics is about 5 '3 "more or less, with Radcliffe coming in at about 5' 5". It would also help men of short stature to feel better about their self-esteem when they see a hero in low theaters. And height is also a big factor in Wolverine's character in the comics. He is often underestimated by opponents because of his size. He is often called "dwarf" by enemies. Imagine him with more hair, claws and a cigar. “He's too young” to play him. However, if you take into account Hugh Jackman's age when he took the role for first time, he was 31 when he appeared in Daniel's X-Men age currently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 28, 2020 5:40 AM

Daniel new Wolverine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 28, 2020 5:41 AM

Daniel new Wolverine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 28, 2020 5:41 AM

Idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 8October 28, 2020 5:42 AM

Daniel new Wolverine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 28, 2020 5:42 AM

Daniel new Wolverine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 28, 2020 5:42 AM

Daniel new Wolverine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 28, 2020 5:43 AM

Daniel new Wolverine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 28, 2020 5:44 AM

Daniel new Wolverine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 28, 2020 5:45 AM

Daniel new Wolverine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 28, 2020 5:46 AM

Obsessed much, bitch?

by Anonymousreply 15October 28, 2020 5:47 AM

Daniel new Wolverine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 28, 2020 5:47 AM

Wolverine: Jared Keeso.

He's Canadian, he's only five feet ten. He is athletic and a former hockey player. His mood is sardonic AF. He did drama before breaking into the comedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 28, 2020 5:49 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 28, 2020 5:50 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 28, 2020 5:51 AM

Danny DeVito: new Wolverine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 28, 2020 6:00 AM

I never thought of Daniel for the role but it's better than

some of other other Hollywood casting rumors out there.

by Anonymousreply 21October 28, 2020 6:09 AM

Instead of another Wolverine....how about his son, Daken?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 28, 2020 11:34 AM

The best thing about Jackman on X-MEN is that he kept falling asleep in plain view of everyone on-set, but only when Ellen Page & Shawn Ashmore were shooting scenes. He spoke for all of us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2021 8:40 PM

Wolferine

by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2021 8:45 PM

Good and interesting casting, but I don't think Radcliffe would do it.

by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2021 8:51 PM

Idk about Logan, but the casting of the next Remy/Gambit has to be better.

If Thomas Middleditch could alter his accent (from Québécoise to Cajun) and play the role straight with less goofy comedy, he’d make an excellent Gambit. He has just the right look and feel for the part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2021 8:58 PM

Armie Hamer.

He's tall, strong, hairy, and you know he'd slice you with those blades as soon as look at you.

by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2021 9:02 PM

Elijah Wood can act. Daniel Radcliffe can’t.

by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2021 9:07 PM

Wolverine shouldn't have to stand on five apple carts to shoot a scene, OP. Poor choice.

by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 9:27 PM

R29 actually, OG Logan/Wolvy is rather short. Not as little as Beast, but still very short by the standards of humanoid males. This is due to his mutation.

[quote] A series of grievous injuries to his spine/mid section caused him to drop about a foot in height, and once they administered the adamantium coating they could no longer grow, permanently stunting him. This is also why he's so grouchy, he's in constant pain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 4, 2021 1:27 PM

Zac Efron is short and would be more believable. He also has the physique.

by Anonymousreply 31March 4, 2021 5:19 PM

R32 Efron is not nearly grizzled and angry and rugged enough, nor is he old enough.

Really, Jackman was also a little too polished, a little too nice, and a little too young, though with some acting skill and aplomb he just about pulled it off. Jackman’s portrayal has altered everyone’s perception of Logan, with the idea that he has to be an attractive upstanding guy in his prime who has a tender heroic spot—the Wolverine of the books and the animations is not like this at all.

The youngest Logan in any of the canons that aren’t prequels is in his 40s/pushing 50, and the majority of the versions of his character make him a grouchy misanthropic middle-aged Canuck lumberjack who is very careworn and hates saving people (especially kids). He’s still a hero and he does grow begrudgingly to care for a few of the X-Men (chiefly Jean & Storm & Rogue, maybe Gambit & Cyclops at a push) and does have respect for Xavier, but beyond that is not interested in mutant politics or doing the right thing. He also isn’t terribly interested in civilian life, or in staying clean or sociable or up-to-date—remember, he’s basically part animal part automaton. He’s also short, as mentioned above, and honestly if you look past the muscles and the great hair he’s sort of unattractive. That’s the point.

IMO the superlative canon Wolverine is always the early 90s Saturday morning Fox cartoon version, voiced iconically by Cathal Dodd. He was so growly, and so done with everyone! To this day, I still refer to Scott/Cyclops as ‘Squinty’, and that is down to the Logan of X-MEN: TAS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 5, 2021 11:07 AM

R32 knows his shit!

by Anonymousreply 33March 5, 2021 11:16 AM

I always felt that the late wrestler Chris Benoit would've made a perfect Wolverine. It's almost like he was born to play Logan.

by Anonymousreply 34March 5, 2021 11:20 AM

R32, very nice!

I’d argue that Wolverine hates his kids though.

I’d also mention his relationship with Nightcrawler especially the religious angle of that.

And you left so much out on Jean and Cyclops too!! Haha. Comics actually have them as a weird open threesome too.

by Anonymousreply 35March 5, 2021 11:33 AM

I recently realized Daddy McAvoy would make a perfect Wolverine. He’s already played Professor X, but Chris Evans played Human Torch before he played Captain America, so it wouldn’t be unprecedented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 5, 2021 11:35 AM

R26 oh hell no. Gambit is supposed to be sexy.

by Anonymousreply 37March 5, 2021 11:39 AM

R35 well, I figured everyone already knew about the Jean/Scott/Logan triangle. It’s not exactly Deepest Lore, and it’s one of the few consistent plot/character elements that carried over intact from the books to the Fox/Marvel/Disney movies.

Another point I forgot to mention is Logan’s tortured angsty homoerotic hateship with Sabertooth, which imo has not been properly explored in live action. The first animated series presented it so well, it was almost epic in scope as an arc.

“Wolverine hates his kids” has me rolling😂 and honestly knowing who his kids become, he’s totally justified. He’s got like 15 in all different AU timelines, and they all suck. And maybe I’m a bitter heartless bitch, but I didn’t necessary like how the LOGAN movie made him the Father Of The Year and the Reluctant But Good Dad to Laura/X-23; it was cute and it made for a moving film, but that just isn’t the Wolverine I grew up with.

Apologies to Kurt for overlooking him—he is pure and wonderful, and it’s criminal he hasn’t had his own movie or series by now. His relationship with Logan is indeed very interesting, and somewhat overlooked in the new canon. To this day, I never figured out why the Fox movies have him bonding with Storm over Rogue or Logan, it never made sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 38March 5, 2021 12:01 PM

It should be that butch, sexy, square-jawed talent Colton Haynes 😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 5, 2021 12:05 PM

Wolverine isn't lean. He's very thickly built. So the actor's body would have to match. He has to be built like a Sicilian blue collar type and he has to be hairy. He also can't have a wimpy voice.

by Anonymousreply 40March 5, 2021 12:12 PM

Keeso all the way for me, I think he’s perfect for the role and he has had A-list star written all over him since the day he was first captured on camera. His sardonic wit will also be crucial to draw in an audience beyond the usual fanboys.

by Anonymousreply 41March 5, 2021 12:12 PM

A few months back, some random person came up to me in public and said I looked like Wolverine. I didn't know whether to be insulted or flattered.

by Anonymousreply 42March 5, 2021 12:18 PM

R35 Mystique also hates her kids.

Except Rogue, and she was adopted and turned against Raven in the end anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 5, 2021 12:25 PM

R34 nice catch. Chris Benoit’s official wrestling nickname was in fact ‘The Rabid Wolverine’.

Commentator Jim Ross gave Benoit the nickname, because of his aggressiveness and his small stature as well as his resemblance to one Logan Howlett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 5, 2021 12:29 PM

They won’t get anyone sexier to play Bobby than mine.

We were *this close* to being official. Fucking global market sellout Execs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 5, 2021 2:18 PM

[Quote] It should be that butch, sexy, square-jawed talent Colton Haynes 😍

He's better off as Bobby.

[Quote] The youngest Logan in any of the canons that aren’t prequels is in his 40s/pushing 50

Maybe it isn't too late for Dougray.....

by Anonymousreply 46March 6, 2021 6:52 AM

Wolverine's actor should be late 30's early 40's, stocky, short but thick like a bodybuilder/power lifter. Facially, he should look unattractive, "Hollywood ugly", feral/bestial, and constantly pissed or grouchy. Honestly, if Mel Gibson could be de-aged a decade, put on 50 lbs of muscle, and magically shortened a few inches, he'd be the right look.

by Anonymousreply 47March 6, 2021 7:54 AM

Yes, exactly, the actor needs to have a grumpy, tired, angry face on a stumpy bod.

If Danny Miller were older and more worn in, and could demonstrate a solid Alberta accent, he could work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 6, 2021 9:11 AM

R37 Remy is said to be a ‘prettyboy’ by some of the hideous henches and goons in canon, and he’s certainly better-looking than Logan, but that’s not to say he can stop traffic and hearts like Warren Worthington/Angel or Northstar/Jean-Paul Beaubier, or that he’s conventionally handsome like Scott.

Actually, much of Gambit’s appeal comes from his charm (this is actually one of his powers), his sexy accent, and his smooth-talking laidback ways. He’s nice-enough looking and has a great body and hair, but he doesn’t reel people in that way.

Given the way he’s lived and been brought up, he should look rough-around-the-edges and sort of shifty, even foxlike.

by Anonymousreply 49March 6, 2021 9:17 AM

Last point about Remy (apologies, OP, back to Logan in a sec)—no live-action has yet managed to put across his strong Cajun essence, or present the importance of his live for Belladonna Boudreaux emblematic of his Louisiana roots. He may be amoral and disloyal in some respects, but Remy loves his home as much as he runs from it.

It would be beyond cool to see the next Gambit use some slang, reference or work with Houdun, and at least tell his story with Belladonna & the Guild by way of flashback or reminiscence even if we don’t get to see it.

Again, this is where the books and the original animation did better. In the comics, Gambit is shown to miss the swamp fiercely, and must infrequently return there contend with the Assassin’s and with local problems. He even has an allyship with one Dr. Voodoo (yes, really). In TAS, he is always calling women ‘Chere’ and ‘P’tit’ (especially Rogue & Jubilee), and never misses an opportunity to throw a Cajun idiom into conversation. During the Christmas episode, he tries unsuccessfully to spike Jean’s traditional cooking with Cajun spice, and then ends up making oyster loaf and sweet-dough for the team.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 6, 2021 10:09 AM

Scott Eastwood. PERIOD. Since they continue to go down the Logan's a hunk route. I never bought Jackman as Wolverine until "Logan." He should've been nominated for something for that performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 6, 2021 10:14 AM

Team Keeso ALL THE WAY!

by Anonymousreply 52March 6, 2021 11:58 AM

R51 Scott's already part of the DCverse.

by Anonymousreply 53March 6, 2021 12:05 PM

Just talked to my sis, and she put forward British tv actor Rob Kransinki; known to U.S. audiences for TRUE BLOOD, PACIFIC RIM, and WARCRAFT. I’m not mad at the idea. He’d need hair dye and to stoop a little, but.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 6, 2021 12:50 PM

R54 Ooh, that's a good one.

by Anonymousreply 55March 7, 2021 9:42 AM

How’s about Cameron Monaghan, if you’ve seen him when he does shave he has a hairy feral look. His acting has a great intensity and he’s great a projecting anger and aggression.

by Anonymousreply 56March 7, 2021 10:23 AM

^^his name is actually ‘Krasinki’, sorry.

Yeah, I thought he was a good shout too, R55. Definitely has the right aggression, attitude, and ferocious look.

by Anonymousreply 57March 8, 2021 3:18 PM

I absolutely hate the idea of Daniel Radcliffe for Wolverine. I don't think he's a good enough actor and the only thing he has going for him for that character is his height. He has none of the gruff swagger that you need for that character, and it wouldn't make any difference if he hit the gym and bulked up a lot more, he just doesn't have that presence, that raw animality.

I would prefer they cast an unknown really but I suspect they will pick someone who is pretty established, perhaps someone from a TV show that is ready to break out into movies.

Can't really think of anyone suitable off the top of my head - I've heard Taron Egerton be mentioned before, I could see that.

by Anonymousreply 58March 9, 2021 8:51 AM

R58 Taron is far too cuddly and sweet, no-one would believe it.

by Anonymousreply 59March 9, 2021 9:15 AM

What about the oldest Hemsworth brother Luke? He kinda has the gruff older look, and is way shorter than Chris and Liam. If he put on another 30 lbs of pure muscle, he could fit the bill.

by Anonymousreply 60March 9, 2021 10:17 AM

danny devito

by Anonymousreply 61March 9, 2021 10:20 AM

R60 he does need something to do🤔

by Anonymousreply 62March 9, 2021 1:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!