Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite colors

I've always dreamed of painting my dining room Pompeii red.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 27, 2020 12:19 AM

I want all of my furniture to be upholstered in forest green.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 26, 2020 4:36 AM

My permanent home is going to have a lot of sea blues on the walls - very light in the public spaces and much darker in my bedroom and bath. Sea blues are serene and soothing, and make a room seem larger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 26, 2020 4:42 AM

Pompeii red? SMH. Too soon, OP. Too soon.

by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2020 5:09 AM

Cobalt Blue!

Which is very flattering to almost every skin color or tone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2020 5:28 AM

I call your color crimson, OP. It's nice, but I prefer this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2020 5:46 AM

I like pastels but very light. I don't want my walls to intrude into my other decor. They should stay in the background and provide warmth or cool.

by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2020 5:58 AM

Navy Blue & Medium Charcoal Grey are my favorite colors. Jewel Tones, & Earth Tones are my favorites families.

I once had an apartment with twelve foot ceilings, and painted the living room & dining area in a semi-gloss red (I don't recall the listed name) that was just slightly darker than Atomic Fireball cinnamon candy.

My friends called it "Gay Bar Red". It was definitely fitting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2020 6:32 AM

R7 Here. *I Really Want A Room In The Color Above

by Anonymousreply 8October 26, 2020 6:48 AM

I had my living room painted in Tiffany Blue, and I love it, and visitors always compliment it. I love all sorts of colors, but I still had to temper my desire for color with the idea of living with it. I love Majorelle Blue, but I'm afraid it would give me a headache if I attempted to paint even a single wall in that color. I love a strong, cinnabar red, but I stick to owning a few pieces of lacquerware for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 26, 2020 7:57 AM

Yeah that blue is intense.

by Anonymousreply 10October 26, 2020 8:18 AM

Yeah... Majorelle blue is a really stunning color, but I think it's just a bit much for interiors!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 26, 2020 9:23 AM

Cerulean blue works on everyone except Asians who look great in more intense warm colors.

by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2020 10:39 AM

This hue of lavender

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2020 10:43 AM

All the blues look the same to me.

by Anonymousreply 14October 26, 2020 10:47 AM

OP, that Pompeii red looks stunning. But do you have the right complexion to live with it?

A man like this would be preferable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 26, 2020 10:55 AM

" I've had two years to grow claws mother, Jungle RED!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2020 11:02 AM

Lemon Green

by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2020 11:07 AM

Turquoise

by Anonymousreply 18October 26, 2020 11:56 AM

It would be totally cool to have a meditation room in some of those intense colors above, plus some others like yellow and green. Like of course I wouldn't want to live all the time with those intense blues or OPs red, but it would be fantastic to go into a room saturated with whatever color resonated with me on any particular day and just soak it up and vibrate in sync with it for a few minutes or an hour.

by Anonymousreply 19October 26, 2020 12:09 PM

OP, darling, if you've always dreamed of it, then DO IT.

What is the problem?

by Anonymousreply 20October 26, 2020 2:31 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2020 2:37 PM

The comment that was obliterated by that auto-text:

"Terra Cotta"

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2020 2:41 PM

Loving the Pompeii Red OP, but the problem with red is that it takes so many coats (even with a red tinted primer) to get it even, that by the time you're finished coat #6, you're sick of it. I think it'd be a lot different if someone else did the work and I just got to enjoy the finished work. lol

by Anonymousreply 23October 26, 2020 6:32 PM

I haven't fulfilled my dream because I don't have a dining room.

by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2020 6:37 PM

"it would be fantastic to go into a room saturated with whatever color resonated with me on any particular day "

What you need is a spare white room, and some blackout curtains and colored lights! You can't repaint a room every day to suit your mood, but there's got to be a method of putting various color ed gels over the lamps in your relaxation room.

by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2020 8:36 PM

Dark plum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2020 10:44 PM

Dark plum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 26, 2020 10:44 PM

OP, my first husband and I painted our dining room in that rich Pompeii red colour.

It was a Dining Room which didn't get much light and it was chosen to enhance my husband's two fabulous antique cedar chests of drawers.

by Anonymousreply 28October 26, 2020 10:50 PM

I like the Pompeii red, Op. I have a small characterless condo that's painted the same off white throughout and was thinking of painting an accent wall red. Condo doesn't get much natural light and I was worried about it being too dark.

by Anonymousreply 29October 26, 2020 10:54 PM

That rich Pompeii red was actually ochre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 26, 2020 11:02 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 26, 2020 11:04 PM

Pompeii red is a good choice for a dining room, because it looks much better by artificial light than by natural light. And since dining rooms are mainly used after the sun goes down, and generally have soft flattering lighting, darker reds can look fabulous, when they'd look awful in other kinds of rooms! But I don't generally like reds as an interior color, most reds are too harsh for enclosed spaces, and get on my nerve.

That's something to consider when decorating a room, R29, how the colors will look by both daylight, and the sort of artificial light you will be using.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 26, 2020 11:27 PM

Black

I wanna see it painted, painted black

Black as night, black as coal

I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky

I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black

by Anonymousreply 33October 26, 2020 11:44 PM

Paul Lynde painted his dining room red, and had a mirrored table top. It was supposedly a very warm and welcoming look.

I painted my bedroom a dark copper shade. I live in a cold climate and the warm color really seems to make the bedroom feel warmer and cosier on the cold winter nights. In the summer, the sunlight makes it glow.

by Anonymousreply 34October 26, 2020 11:49 PM

R32 Lighting is so important. I understand Victorian peoples' attitudes to complexions and ladies dresses changed as they adjusted from candle light to kerosene and to gas light.

And I remember the shock transferring from incandescent to fluorescent light.

by Anonymousreply 35October 26, 2020 11:51 PM

R33, I once read an interview with a football player, who said he'd painted his entire interior black, and bought deep black furniture. He said he had to change, because people kept tripping over the furniture or banging their shins on stuff. Without shadows or contrast, everything blended into everything else, and people couldn't see where the run ended and the furniture began.

Yeah, he seemed to be a bit dim.

by Anonymousreply 36October 27, 2020 12:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!