Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Utah Hospitals Could Begin Rationing Care As Coronavirus Surge Overwhelms State

[QUOTE]Hospitals in Utah will soon be forced to begin prioritizing younger COVID-19 patients over older ones amid the surging rate of hospitalizations. Lower priority for ICU beds will be given to patients who are older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 9, 2020 3:49 PM

Are the Mormons okay with killing off their elders? I thought their elders ran the show?

by Anonymousreply 1October 26, 2020 1:38 AM

I don’t think they have a choice, R1. What’s the alternative?

by Anonymousreply 2October 26, 2020 1:40 AM

Weird. Wasn't the Mormon Church encouraging masks and social distancing?

by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2020 1:45 AM

This is very sad.

I knew we were screwed when the state announced all schools would re-open. They should all be telecommuting and reporting in-person for testing only in a staggered manner.

School and after-school athletics are in full swing again, too. People pack the indoor restaurants on the weekends again.

This is going to get SO much worse in the winter. I'm afraid for my Mom and I think we should skip the holidays if they don't come out with some accurate rapid testing.

by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2020 1:48 AM

But at least they got to own the libs, R4.

by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2020 1:53 AM

Anyone who plans to go to a family gathering for the fucking holidays is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2020 1:55 AM

[quote] Hospitals in Utah will soon be forced to begin prioritizing younger COVID-19 patients over older ones amid the surging rate of hospitalizations. Lower priority for ICU beds will be given to patients who are older.

That shows what is so fucked up when healthcare is managed, by hospitals or government. Older people get the short end of the stick. Fairness would be that no one is discriminated against because of age or that older people would get priority because they obviously need the more intensive care than young people. We don’t need Nazi theories in healthcare that values one person’s life as more important than someone else’s.

by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2020 1:56 AM

Bring on the Death Panels! Don't say I didn't warn you!

by Anonymousreply 8October 26, 2020 1:59 AM

My one Mormon friend, a lovely elderly lady, has had two of her adult children and three of her grandchildren get Covid in Utah. So far they are all still alive.

She's still voting for Trump. It's very fucked up and there's nothing I can do to change her mind.

by Anonymousreply 9October 26, 2020 2:01 AM

Lord, poetic justice for all the doubters, anti-maskers, Trump voters: We've only just begun.

by Anonymousreply 10October 26, 2020 2:01 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 26, 2020 2:05 AM

I know a middle aged Mormon woman, too. She's very liberal about a lot of things and she has a daughter who is a married lesbian with kids. She said she'd leave the religion if she had to choose between it and supporting her daughter. We agree about tons of shit and have really funny conversations. But we can't talk politics. Her husband is a Trumper, as are several of her other kids. They've been having out of town guests visiting through the entire pandemic and, despite having some serious health problems, she's also planning to travel soon. She's cool with masks, but beyond that seems to be in a Fox News bubble. I haven't even tried to break through because it seems pointless and we'd just wind up hating each other.

by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2020 2:07 AM

R9- she'll change her mind when she gets it and dies as a result I bet. ;)

by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2020 2:26 AM

{uoqte]I don’t think they have a choice, [R1]. What’s the alternative?

I would suggest ice floe, but with it being Utah. Plus you mother fuckers and climate change...

by Anonymousreply 14October 26, 2020 3:05 AM

". We don’t need Nazi theories in healthcare that values one person’s life as more important than someone else’s."

When there aren't enough ventilators or ICU beds to go around, R7, the only alternative to deciding whose life has more value is go to go pure first-come-first-serve. The fact is that when people ARE going to die for lack of care, there are no good options, but the least awful option is probably to treat those who have the highest chance of recovery. Because if you put your 90-year-old grandpa on a ventilator and give them everything a modern ICU has to offer, there's zero chance of a complete recovery. All you've accomplished is to give them a slow miserable uncomfortable death, instead of a comparatively quick and merciful one.

Although if I ruled the world, the old folks would get treated before the Anti-Maskers did.

by Anonymousreply 15October 26, 2020 4:57 AM

...and you get a planet and you get a planet and you get a planet...but no ventilators.

We're all out.

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2020 5:48 AM

Stop all circumcisions.

by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2020 5:51 AM

I'm just curious because I haven't read anything to confirm this or otherwise but have hospitals in the US had to make decisions of who receives care and who does not?

There had been reports that decisions were made like that in Spain & Italy earlier in the year but there were also reports denying that.

by Anonymousreply 18October 26, 2020 5:57 AM

Since the elderly are the most likely to die from it wouldn't it seem they would be prioritized?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 26, 2020 5:57 AM

Here are the OBAMACARE DEATH PANELS Republicans warned us about!

by Anonymousreply 20October 26, 2020 6:01 AM

Its hard but treating the elderly, many of whom will die anyway, would mean less of a chance for young people who are more likely to respond to ICU treatment and survive.

by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2020 6:01 AM

r18, yes, this has already been happening in hot spots, since the spring. But there was, also, a situation in the Bronx where people were seemingly being intentionally exposed to it because the hospital got 30k per confirmed case. A nurse who came in to help from out of state wore google glasses during her shifts to expose what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2020 6:05 AM

I have a friend in Utah who told me it was going to happen big there because the state never really shut down at all this spring. Nobody was doing much prevention, so they were ripe to get swamped by whatever wave this is now.

by Anonymousreply 23October 26, 2020 6:06 AM

I’m honestly at a point where I don’t have the stamina to empathize with any of these stupid sheep. It’s a shame, but they spent the past four years laughing and jeering at those of us concerned about the vacuum of leadership and outright cruelty exhibited by Trump and his flying monkeys. It’s all been a hilarious game until now. They are just reaping what they’ve sown.

by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2020 6:13 AM

But aren't the younger ones more likely to live regardless?

by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2020 6:13 AM

[quote] When there aren't enough ventilators or ICU beds to go around, [R7], the only alternative to deciding whose life has more value is go to go pure first-come-first-serve.

No, the alternative is to select the patient who is less likely to survive without the ICU bed. That selection should be made without judging that one person’s life is more valuable or worthy because they theoretically have more years to live.

by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2020 6:18 AM

[quote] Since the elderly are the most likely to die from it wouldn't it seem they would be prioritized?

Yes, that would be the conclusion of rational people who see all lives being equal.

An extension of the illogic of saving the young over the old would be saving white patients over black ones since black people with Covid are 2.3 times more likely to die.

by Anonymousreply 27October 26, 2020 6:24 AM

No ICU beds for anyone who watches Fux and thinks the virus is a hoax.

Die at home and be quick about it.

by Anonymousreply 28October 26, 2020 6:25 AM

r20, see r8 and try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 29October 26, 2020 1:42 PM

[QUOTE] But aren't the younger ones more likely to live regardless?

Only if they receive treatment, R25. You can’t just do nothing and hope to survive.

by Anonymousreply 30October 26, 2020 3:44 PM

We are all only on this earth for as long as the Lord chooses, there is no point in trying to change reality.

by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2020 2:55 AM

It begins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 9, 2020 12:56 PM

Why does this fucking hate state even exist at all? Fucking Mormons should all be killed for trying to steal our marriage rights away.

by Anonymousreply 33November 9, 2020 12:58 PM

Killing ALL the right people

by Anonymousreply 34November 9, 2020 12:59 PM

[QUOTE] Killing ALL the right people

Joe Biden got 37% of the vote in Utah. Nearly half a million people. Your fellow Democrats will be dying there too.

by Anonymousreply 35November 9, 2020 1:09 PM

How can anyone be a Democrat and live in that shit hole hate state?

by Anonymousreply 36November 9, 2020 1:11 PM

There are Democrats in every state. Look at an election map and see how Biden got votes in the reddest of states. 400K in Arkansas. 700K in Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 37November 9, 2020 1:32 PM

Then leave so you won’t get hurt when we bomb the deplorables into extinction.

by Anonymousreply 38November 9, 2020 1:34 PM

" Your fellow Democrats will be dying there too."

Except that democrats are more likely to follow the preventive measures that have been recomended by every sane and reputable source.

No, the anti-maskers and rally attenders will be dying in much larger numbers.

by Anonymousreply 39November 9, 2020 3:41 PM

Those measures help but their efficacy is dramatically reduced if the public at large won’t follow them. The anti-maskers are endangering and spreading the virus to all citizens no matter their political persuasion.

by Anonymousreply 40November 9, 2020 3:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!