Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are flowers such a popular gift option?

They die so fast. Wouldn’t it be much better to gift something that lasts forever?

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 11:53 PM

Like wine or chocolate? It’s all about showing the person you’ve thought about them. Most of us don’t want more clutter.

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2020 9:29 PM

OP = DeBeers shill

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2020 9:30 PM

Like an STD ?

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 9:31 PM

If someone is hosting a party or dinner at their home, they're usually too distracted to enjoy a bunch of flowers, let alone trimming them, arranging them in a vase, etc. I like buying fresh flowers for myself as a treat, maybe just a few times a year. I can pick out exactly what I want, and I know if I'll be home to enjoy them while they last.

I've brought people potted plants as hostess gifts, etc, but with mixed results. I would be thrilled if a guest brought me a nice plant, but not everyone cares for them, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2020 9:31 PM

Why not a nice basket of fruit. To 1870s?

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 9:33 PM

Jeez, I type like a chimpanzee.

I meant "Why not a nice basket of fruit? Too 1870s?"

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 9:34 PM

Don't beat yourself up, R6 -- a chimp wouldn't know the difference between "to" and "too" (or care, if he did know).

I don't want flowers in the house because the cats destroy them, eat the remnants, and throw up -- after shattering the vase in the process. The only safe place for a vase of flowers in my house is in a closet with the door closed where I can't see them and they get no light and wither by morning.

My favorite hospitality gift to receive is fruit or vegetables, from the guest's garden or a farmers' market or an ethnic market where unusual produce (Buddha hand, dragon fruit, etc.) can be found. No need to put it in a basket, a sturdy bag that can be reused by me is fine.

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 10:31 PM

R7, you and me. I’d love that. My SIL would scoff at that because no money was spent.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 10:43 PM

R8, has your sister-in-law seen the price of dragon fruit lately? And one of my neighbors used to travel a lot pre-pandemic and has a huge collection of fascinating fabric and paper bags from foreign hotels and shops -- she also grows luscious fruit and vegetables, but the beautiful bags she presents them in are equally appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 11:07 PM

Are the calla lilies in bloom?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 11:10 PM

‘Give them something to eat, something that dies or nothing that grows’, that’s my motto.

I’m an all-rounder, so I gave them my word.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 11:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!