Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can a 32 year old gay man be a nightclub singer anywhere?

That is my dream job right now (well, once things are back to normal).

Like in old-fashioned black and white movies or Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore.

I know it’s ridiculous. I just want to know if it’s possible!

by Anonymousreply 31October 26, 2020 12:45 PM

Dude, go for it! You’ll never know until you try. I think it’s a great idea. Are you cute?

I’m chiming in before the bitches have had time to sharpen their claws and start commenting.

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2020 3:05 PM

OP? Anything is possible.

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2020 3:10 PM

Do hotels still have piano lounges? I traveled a lot for business in my 20s and 30s and would always hit the hotel lounge after meetings to unwind with some good nightclub music. Yes, there were some Bill Murray "Star Wars, Nothing But Starwars" types but also some good talent. Most bars and clubs want rock or country today but there has to be an outlet for classic nightclub music. Go for it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 3:14 PM

God bless cabaret!

There's gold in them hills, if you do it right, OP!

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2020 3:21 PM

Jump in Stewie’s Time Machine and press YESTERYEAR & see what happens

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 3:23 PM

I am cute, r1!

Are you looking for talent?

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 3:23 PM

I did, OP...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 3:31 PM

Yes OP, you simply must try. I suggest a tour of intimate cabarets in London, Paris, Vienna, Marrakesh, Montevideo and Shanghai. For the summer, Monte Carlo and Marbella.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 3:33 PM

The cruise ship industry hires loads of entertainers for nightly performances in their swanky lounges, OP!

Oh, wait....

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 3:33 PM

Stay off my turf or I will cut you with Ginseng knives in my jazz hands.

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 3:35 PM

Can you sing with a mask on?

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 3:36 PM

My dear friend Madame Gin Sling can hook you up in Shanghai.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 3:36 PM

If you had the voice or even just a bit of the look, you wouldn't have to ask this tepid question.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 3:41 PM

Does karaoke count?

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 3:43 PM

R12, that’s literally the fantasy! I show up in a city and get a job at an exotic club.

I know that probably doesn’t happen anymore, but still.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 3:43 PM

There’s a NEW girl in TOWN, and she’s feeling GOOD!

Phoenix is calling, OP.

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2020 3:45 PM

You made me loooooooove youuuuuu

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2020 3:45 PM

Oh honey, I know your fantasies, that's why I nailed it so well with illustrations. But are you that simple? You do realise it is 2020 and there's a pandemic destroying nightlife around the world. I can't think of a male chanteuse who has made a run of it in recent years. Rufus Wainwright was decades ago. Joey Arias is over 70 and I don't think he ever toured internationally and he had to throw gender illusionist into his bag of tricks.

by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2020 3:48 PM

And Arias played a LOT of dives before he got a Cirque de Soleil paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2020 3:51 PM

There are always gay piano bars in every major city that you could create a following. However, I think it's hard to become successful as a solo act.

One of the biggest cabaret acts in the gay community is Amy and Freddie, but he just pretty much plays piano. She's carved out a pretty good life for herself, but it's a lot of hard work and she has an enormous amount of talent.

But she's also VERY good with mixing with the gays and doing PR. Plus they travel quite a bit - all the gay cruises, LA, Palm Springs, Puerto Vallarta in winter, Wilton Manors, P-town.

It can be done, but you've got to be special. Actually, Randy Rainbow is doing this too.

by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2020 3:51 PM

R18, r19, r20 that’s helpful and interesting!

by Anonymousreply 21October 25, 2020 3:53 PM

I don't know any musicians that are currently gigging. Hope you can accompany yourself!

by Anonymousreply 22October 25, 2020 3:54 PM

Honey, we can't ALL be Bobby Nesbitt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 25, 2020 3:57 PM

Sure, Op. You're still young. Christoph Waltz and Bryan Cranston never made it big until their 50's. Perhaps start with Youtube or TikTok.

by Anonymousreply 24October 25, 2020 4:07 PM

To add, nobody makes it on singing alone. You have to be good at banter and have quite a bit of comedy in your act.

It's not easy - but I would think it's less difficult than trying to sustain yourself as a drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 25October 25, 2020 4:08 PM

Bill looks a bit like Robert Goulet in this clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 25, 2020 4:09 PM

Are you black? And do you have WASP lockjaw?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 25, 2020 4:10 PM

Ask Seth Sykes -- he does it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 25, 2020 4:11 PM

Ask Seth Sykes -- he does it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 25, 2020 4:11 PM

A friend does this in Europe primarily on tour in fabulous hotels. He sings and plays the piano. Not much banter.

When the pandemic is conquered, yes, OP, you can do this. Sounds like you need a mentor to guide you.

by Anonymousreply 30October 25, 2020 5:05 PM

R6 yes, but unfortunately not for the stage. 😉😉

by Anonymousreply 31October 26, 2020 12:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!