Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What to do for the Holidays?

Ok, Guys, I’m asking for help! I’m mid 60’s guy who recently lost both parents within the last year. I look to the holidays with trepidation! I don’t want to be a fifth wheel and I don’t want any sympathy invites (a few of which have already come in). I’m thinking a quiet b&b or country inn (of course this is complicated by the virus,too). Any ideas to get me thru this year’s T-giving and Christmas holidays with as few complications as possible? Can travel Va. - Ga.

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 5:34 AM

Do charity work to help make other people's holidays better, particularly disadvantaged people. You will be rewarded with satisfaction and happiness. Don't spend the holidays alone.

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2020 3:47 AM

Well, I'm also a single gay man in my middle sixties, and I much prefer staying home alone. My mother died five years ago, and I always tried to make the holidays as nice for her as possible, since my sister lived across the country and never came, and my drug-addict brother never showed up, either, though I always invited him.

This year finally I have an excuse to tell everyone I'm staying home alone. I have some cousins who just wouldn't take no for an answer, and the past couple of years I haven't been able to get out of going to their house. Another cousin has said he's having a low-key Thanksgiving and I have to be there, but I told him no, I'm staying out of circulation, and no amount of cajoling will make me change my mind.

Also I have friends I love, but I don't want to be the extra at their table, either. But I'm an introvert, and I would always rather be at home alone, regardless of the day or activity. Good luck, OP, I hope you figure out what you want to do and just do it.

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2020 3:48 AM

Make a nice day and evening for yourself. If you don't like to cook, or aren't any good at it, order something really decadent ahead of time. At your age, I don't really think it's worth the risk you may be taking travelling anywhere OP.

Though I like R1's mindset and advice, that may put you at risk as well. If you'd like to help the less advantaged, make a nice donation of foods, or some money to your local food bank, or homeless shelter. Try to ride out the wave of Covid. Try to plan some skype or Facetime calls with family or friends if you feel a need to connect. Take a drive and enjoy the scenery if you need to get out.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 4:01 AM

I would stay put (at home) and treat yourself well. Agree with R3, plan for something special for yourself, but do it ahead of time. I would drop (easier said than done) expectations of how the holidays are supposed to be. Definitely would *not* accept any sympathy offers, you would end up depressed from attending that type of thing.

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2020 4:24 AM

OP, just say no.

You don't want to go to anyone's house for the holidays. You don't care to go this year. You're not attending any holiday events. You just don't want to go. You're going to stay home and relax.

N.O. T.H.A.N.K.Y.O.U.

Don't be a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 4:32 AM

No thanks, no party lights

It's Christmas eve, gonna relax

Turned down all of my invites

Forget it, it's cold, it's getting late

Trudge on home to celebrate

In a quiet way, unwind

Doing Christmas right this time

...and what did that get me????

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 4:55 AM

there's always . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 4:55 AM

Why assume that invitations are out of pity, OP? Sounds like you just want to be alone. You don’t have to make excuses.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 5:23 AM

Volunteering for Thanksgiving day “sells out” quick so sign up soon.

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 5:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!